Sports

BYU football: Riley Nelson out for the season

Two-QB trial over announcement Tuesday

Comments

• TJ2407 Springville, UT
    Sept. 23, 2010 4:56 a.m.

First of all Anae calls the plays not Bronco. Bronco is really only coaching the special teams right now. He lets his coordinators do their jobs so stop blaming the play calling on him. He did not plan for Nelson to get hurt.

And BlueCoug you are assuming that Utah is not going to get better by the end of the year. I am sure BYU will improve over the course of the season but I am pretty sure Utah will as well. Both programs have very good coaches. It will be an exciting game but this year I just think with a true freshman and on the road gives Utah the advantage. I hope the best for both schools but I think BYU finishes with 6 losses. The offense is not ready for a shoot out with Nevada and Utah State is playing really well this year. I think an upset is coming in Logan. And of course TCU and Utah. But I do expect Heaps to grow and be a lot better by seasons end but I just don't see them being to the level you see. We will see who is right.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Sept. 22, 2010 8:56 p.m.

@TheHailStorm

"Sounds to me like Bronco left him in there knowing an injury would make his decision,or lack of them , for him.
    I do not trust Bronco."

Hmmm ... How could anyone think you are a hater-- being a Ute fan and all who is inexplicably obsessed with painting BYU and its football program in the worst possible light? How odd indeed!

• TheHailstorm South Weber, UT
    Sept. 22, 2010 5:07 p.m.

So Bronco knew he was susceptible to injury and runs him into the FSU front lines 60% of the time to make sure the shoulder was really messed up ? Shouldn't the other coaches, like Doughman know when to pull a player because of injury complications ?
    I do not trust Bronco, he let Manase Tonga play in a bowl game with poor grades last fall semester, rendering him ineligible for post season play. Bronco and staff did not chastise Max for his BYU honor code violation, to do so would make Max sit for the bowl game.
    I just don't think that Bronco and Holmoe have their coaches prepared to coach. This QB mess can find a home in the coach ineptness.It never should have gotten this far.
    I want to put something to bed once and for all. Most who post here are Utah Fans. We are Ute fans NOT BYU HATERS ! My wife attended BYU and she is dismayed and discouraged by the recent developments. Her loyalty to the Y is fading fast.

• yankee doodle Layton, UT
    Sept. 22, 2010 4:42 p.m.

I'll bet Jordan Wynnie even goes out and buys a Jake Heaps jersey at the end of the season.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Sept. 22, 2010 4:10 p.m.

Don't be so sure about BYU's irrelevance this year, Mid-Major Ute.

Utah still has to play BYU in late November and a MWC championship, Top 25 ranking, BCS bowl or even a NC game bid could be hanging on the outcome of that game.

A BYU offense firing on all cylinders and lead by Jake Heaps with 8 starts under his belt (that's as more starts than Jordan Wynn currently has), and an improved BYU defense, could be a VERY scary opponent for a Utah team trying to close out an undefeated season.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 22, 2010 3:59 p.m.

byu 26

Nice to see you on a byu article instead of the Utes articles all the time. geez!

I had one more post (thanks dnews), so thought I would give it a go.

I hope the cougs do go 9-1! Keep the hope alive Jake. I'm sure all those wins in High School will come in handy as you prep for Nevada and rest of your schedule.

• Mid-Major Cougars San Diego, CA
    Sept. 22, 2010 3:50 p.m.

Too bad Rally is gone
    Fake will not get it done
    1-3, the heat is on

• bigutefan Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 22, 2010 3:45 p.m.

I can't believe Yner fans are buying this story. It is a total cover up. The coaches are under the gun, and Riley Nelson is taking the fall. How is it that for four days, nothing was said about an injury, then suddenly "oh he got injured last Saturday." The kid is being let go, bottom line. The Yners will think they are helping the kid out by getting him a redshirt, utilizing his father as an orthpedic specialist. Riley will transfer, and Heaps the savior will be expected to turn the sinking ship around. Riley your first clue should have been when you were illegally recruited by the Yner coaching staff. You have an NCAA rule named after you due to this type of cheating while you were on your mission. You should have never answered the phone or emails or met with the coaches. They did the same thing to Harvey, hung him out to dry, because he was having relations, the kid is 30 years old, ha, he should be. This is a crime......not buying this story at all.....

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Sept. 22, 2010 3:39 p.m.

The 40th ranked team (byu) in the USA seems to attract more attention than the 13th ranked Utes in the Salt Lake City market.

• Mid-Major Cougars San Diego, CA
    Sept. 22, 2010 3:27 p.m.

It's irrelevant who is the QB for BYU.
    BYU has already been irrelevant in this year's college football.

• Global Y Sherwood, OR
    Sept. 22, 2010 2:49 p.m.

For all those who would coach without a salary, and hope that BYU comes 'a callin', Anae has all the credentials in the world he needs to do a great job. He has been doing a great job since he was a member of the championship team. And, anyone from Kahuku High School gets my vote. He has done a superb job in the past, and he will certainly provide the leadership needed in the future. Playbooks are already written for the passing game of BYU. Now they can be fully implemented.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Sept. 22, 2010 2:49 p.m.

Nelson is a solid player. I don't think he really had the chance to prove it before this injury. But he will be back in a BYU uniform next year and possibly contribute in a high capacity, even if Heaps stays as the starter next year. Cain up at Utah is a good example of this. Good luck, Nelson!

But I'm wondering why there's been so much hate in the past few posts, particularly from the "Californians." Just because the Y team and/or a Y player is criticized on these boards doesn't mean it must be a Ute or Aggie "Troll". There are plenty of haters on both sides.

Besides, your posts make you sound...uh, envious of other's success. Be happy for your own.

But Ute-chute, be happy to read all of my posts for the 3-0 Utes, at your leisure. You should also be aware that many Ute fans do not read the DN, much less post on these boards. So do not equate the # of posts on here to prestige, game attendance, and conference revenue. That's a poor correlation my friend.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Sept. 22, 2010 2:49 p.m.

A lot of "I"s and "Me"s in Heaps comments. If "I" were a cougar fan, "I"d be very worried.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 22, 2010 2:22 p.m.

Ahh.. The NCC "no class crew" is out in force today. Jealousy, insecurity and obsession. Some little brothers are able to look up to their role models. The Utes can appreciate everything the Cougars have done for them in the past. Why can't the NCC. The answer...Therapy.
    BYU will be fine. This rebuilding year will still most likely see them in a bowl game and the young palyers will gain valuable experience. I think they will come together this season and give us plenty to look forward to. I wish Riley the best in his recovery and I look forward to watching

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Sept. 22, 2010 2:22 p.m.

ute-chute,

How many screen names do you have? Seems like a lot of Utah hate coming out of Beverly Hills...

LOL

• ute-chute Beverly Hills, CA
    Sept. 22, 2010 2:08 p.m.

"manutd | 1:51 p.m.

It's in the article. Why do so many people refuse to read the article?

"Mendenhall said Nelson hurt his non-throwing shoulder during fall camp, but that injury wasn't discussed publicly. Early in the Florida State game, the injury worsened after Nelson absorbed a hard hit."

• ute-chute Beverly Hills, CA
    Sept. 22, 2010 1:52 p.m.

How many Utah Fans are posting on articles about a 3-0 team?

How many ever do?

It would be interesting to see how many televisions were on the Utah v New Mexico game last Friday night.

That's why LES is full during seasons like this, and RES feels the need to give tickets to Jr. Jazz teams to get 20,000 in the stadium.

It will be interesting to see how Larry Scott's experiment works out when they go for the TV contract and actually crunch the numbers of how many TV's they are getting for bringing Utah on board. I hope Utah does not agree to getting PAC money based upon what they bring in through TV revenue, or they may wish for the "good old days" of the "big bucks" and national exposure of the mtn.

• manutd Milford, CT
    Sept. 22, 2010 1:51 p.m.

i think riley may have had a bum shoulder to begin with, but because of the opportunity to potentially be the starting qb and leader of the team he sucked it up and played through the pain. credit to his toughness and work ethic. maybe he was told last year that he needed to have surgery at some point but put on the back burner until now.

now that he is second fiddle to heaps and unlikely to get significant playing time he decides to finally take care of what should have been taken care of a long time ago. only now his injury has gotten worse.

pretty obvious to me. get surgery, get a medical release, come back next year if heaps goes on a mission, transfer to another school to play qb, or come back as a rb or safety.

riley is no fool. he knows what he is doing. i hope it works out for him. and selfishly i hope he stays at byu.

• Idaho Coug Meridian, Idaho
    Sept. 22, 2010 1:07 p.m.

Hopefully Nelson is awarded a medical redshirt but I really don't think he will jump back into the QB race. Love the kid, his athleticism and toughness. But he simply is not equipped to run the BYU offense. And Lark will have developed into a solid number 2 guy by the time Nelson is back.

I think Nelson would not have even been in the QB conversation this summer had Lark and Munns not just been returning from missions. Given that Heaps will have a season of experience and Lark and Munns will be fully back to form, Nelson seriously will not be able to compete with those 3. Hopefully he finds a nitch however on this team. I would think safety or slot suit his skills with safety the most glaring need.

• BYU 26 Utah 23 Anaheim, CA
    Sept. 22, 2010 1:00 p.m.

plyxply

Most of the Utah fans who hang out here are really just BYU haters and without BYU to hate, their sad little lives would have no meaning.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 22, 2010 12:45 p.m.

Way to go Bronco! If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.

• afro14 Sandy, UT
    Sept. 22, 2010 12:40 p.m.

Well Heaps here's your chance to go 10-0. Best of luck son you're going to have to mature very rapidly.

• Michael Lloyd Jr. Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 22, 2010 12:23 p.m.

Jake, thanks for your committment to do your best. I assume that means learning to move around in the pocket...especially learning to step up in the pocket. Please no more statue like play where you're just standing "frozen like" at the back of the pocket where defensive ends meet and slap you down or slap the ball away with one hand.

Has coach Doman discussed this with you yet? Did you see the FSU film? Did they teach this at the scores of quarterback camps you attended?

Go get 'em tiger.

• Cougars --Best Little Brothers Lake Forest, CA
    Sept. 22, 2010 12:08 p.m.

hedgehog
    ...The truth about the remaining “stable” of BYU QB’s is becoming very clear. They’re not good enough to play at D -1 level...

I remembered calling BYU the "AAA" quality of college football.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Sept. 22, 2010 12:04 p.m.

@PAC man. Actually the sad truth is Ute fans come on here to revel in the ease in which they can rile up Cougar fans, and the rest of us come on here because it is wildly amusing to read the comments, and then your reactions.
    On another note, there are still some rose colored glasses available in the Provo area, right next to the red Quest for Perfection t-shirts at the local Gentile outlets in Orem.

• Chris Degn San Antonio, TX
    Sept. 22, 2010 11:39 a.m.

Good luck, Jake. Wishing you the best. And a speedy recovery to you, Riley. Gonna miss your running ability. You've got some Steve Young-like moves, dude.

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    Sept. 22, 2010 11:30 a.m.

Utah fans need to grow up.

Having to make up wild conspiracy theories to have something to criticize shows just how insecure these BYU-obsessed, Utah trolls really are.

The sad truth is they come here to whine, so if the facts don't fit their whines, they're forced to make up wild conspiracies to make the facts fit their whines.

It's entirely possible that Riley suffered an injury in fall camp; that he played through the pain and that the injury became worse because of the pounding he was taking to the point that his shoulder finally required surgery to repair the damage.

Anybody who watched the replays of the Florida State game could plainly see that Riley was in severe pain coming off the field. How much damage his shoulder suffered in the Florida State and how much was caused previously is immaterial.

The only thing that really matters is that a fine young man and fierce competitor finally reached the point that he was in so much pain that he had to make the difficult decision to have the surgery now and miss the rest of the season.

Good luck on your recovery Riley!

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Sept. 22, 2010 11:19 a.m.

Yikes! I know a lot of people didn't like Nelson as a quarterback but I thought he had a lot going for himself. He is going to be sorely missed by the Cougars this season.

I'm sure Jake will put it together eventually but this is beginning to look like Gary Crowton in 2003 when Beck was just off a Mission and was being pressed into action. He simply wasn't ready and it really hurt his development. If Heaps gets hurt or simply isn't effective it doesn't look like there is much left in the cupboard. I wish you good luck though guys. Heaps will be a great quarterback one day.

A Ute Fan

• Anonymous Infinity American Fork, UT
    Sept. 22, 2010 11:04 a.m.

With Riley Nelson's surgery we now have what we should have had from the beginning.....one quarterback starting and playing until something else would suggest another way to go. I am still maintaining this is a miserable rebuilding year for the Cougars and that because of poor long-term planning the team is in the position it is in a multiple player positions. It is incredible how this state of affairs happened. It just puts the program in jeopardy at a point in time when the decision was made to leave conference affiliation and become an independent. This decision hurts all the other sports at the university, no question. I do like the so-called minor sports to be in WCAC where most of the universities have similar values. But football right now is in a sorry state of not having sufficient experience all at once. This is mismanagement in my opinion. The team is going to obsorb a lot of punishment due to this lack of planning and failure to keep a steady stream of experienced athletes on the roster. The Harvey Unga debacle is just the tip of the iceberg. It is tough on the fans.

• Samwise Hobbiton, The Shire
    Sept. 22, 2010 10:34 a.m.

nehu, I agree that reading posts on this board is entertaining in a sick sort of way, but because of posts like yours, not because of posts from (most) BYU fans. Most BYU fans I know sincerely like Riley and do wish him a good recovery. I assure you that the vast majority of BYU fans (such as myself) really do wish Riley well.

• ida-coug Pocatello, ID
    Sept. 22, 2010 10:21 a.m.

Amazing.......... Arrogant fans, and no, I'm not talking about BYU fans. When has anyone "wished" that Nelson would get hurt? What reason would Bronco have to lie? (I question whether anyone saying this is truly a BYU fan. If you are you must be the guy that sets next to me who keeps yelling "put Luke Stahlei in" Really!) I would have loved to see Nelson be successful. Heap's also. (any QB for that matter)This team has a long ways to go and it probably won't happen this year. Utah fans, look in the mirror.............

• Sandbagger Cedar Park, TX
    Sept. 22, 2010 10:18 a.m.

In my opinion, Bronco has a hard time making the difficult decisions. He's probably giving a hugh sigh of relief now that he doesn't have to pick a starter.

Think about it, if BYU continues to lose, he has an out because of his freshman quarterback.. (and, if Riley hadn't gotten injured, "who knows how good BYU could have been?").

Part of being the head coach is also being accountable for your decisions, and it appears that Bronco doesn't want to willingly shoulder that burden.

• fender Washington, UT
    Sept. 22, 2010 9:56 a.m.

Hedgehog

Not sure your conclusion is reasonable, but I certainly agree it's an odd set of circumstances. I think the more reasonable conclusion is that Doman, Anae and Mendenhall are simply not astute enough to connect the dots.

Coaching incompetence seems to be the constant here, the inability to identify a starter and putting in a 2QB system being exhibit A. Exhibit B is recruiting Nelson in the first place. He's perfect for running a zone read offense, but never BYU's system. It's like demanding the mountain come to Mohammed.

Don't think it's over yet. Now these coaches are going with a kid who's as soft as a marshmellow (Unlike Wynn, who by all accounts made a big effort to put on weight and muscle his freshman year). Since Heaps is not in shape and can't make his reads and get rid of the ball, it's likely he'll be injured too, if he doesn't choke on his own hype first.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 22, 2010 9:49 a.m.

cristoph:

"People on talk radio still criticize Bronco's "quest for perfection" quote of 2008 and yet they have no clue that it is about life and not just football."

Clue #1: He's the FOOTBALL coach.

I have a bridge in NYC for sale. Interested?

• FaifeauSam Lehi, UT
    Sept. 22, 2010 9:48 a.m.

Obviously, some of you don't read well. I think the story alludes to the fact that Riley was injured in pre-season practices which was compounded by his play against Air Force and FSU. Kindness and empathy should be the watchword of our discourse unless we are intent on acting like immature children who had a hard time getting out of the 3rd grade. Let's look to the future and hope for the best rather than beat a dead horse and put everybody else down.

• fresnogirl Fresno, CA
    Sept. 22, 2010 9:35 a.m.

I think it's ridiculous and pathetic that the BYU haters will use ANY excuse to malign BYU -- even a guy getting injured.

@Hedgehog: Dude, you're in Michigan and are STILL obsessing on us?! REALLY?!

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Sept. 22, 2010 9:33 a.m.

two things stand out here.
    1- Heaps refers to himself at least 5 times in the first sentence of the quote, and makes sure to point out how the team is "rallying" around him. Heaps needs to figure out it's a team game and NOT about Mr. Jake Heaps.
    2- BYU is out if it's league playing teams like Florida State. The Cougars just can't compete physically with these faster, stronger teams and need to make sure and be careful who they schedule. 13 injuries tells me they weren't physically capable of competing.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    Sept. 22, 2010 9:13 a.m.

JohnInSLC,

I can’t agree with you more. If Reily had a “supposed” shoulder injury so bad - waaaay back in August — that it requires season ending surgery, don’t you think one of the other “all world” QB’s would have been groomed for this season?

Put it this way, When Cain and Wynn were battling for the starting spot last year, do you really think Kwhitt would have started Cain if he had a destroyed shoulder?

Truth is sometimes painful

• Jeff R. Sheridan, WY
    Sept. 22, 2010 8:58 a.m.

Riley was an intense player and this all out stinks for the cougs. Weather he was going to start or not, he added a unique dimension to this young offense. Sad to see such a hard worker go down and if anyone tries to down play this, they need to take a cold, hard look at themselves in the mirror. We will now get to see if all of the hype is true about Jake Heaps. If he can somehow motivate this youthfull and very stingy but dormant offense to errupt we might be able to salvage this season. We have all the talent, the O line is one of the biggest we've had and they are athletic, but are struggling with the 2 QB system. I look to them to step up and give heaps the time he needs. The running backs are better than people let on, Di luigi is a complete stud out of the back field. With one QB i hope the recievers can and will step up and do what they do best, reak havoc on the defense. Our defense has potential, we just need players to lead and motivate them. Good luck Saturday!

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Sept. 22, 2010 8:58 a.m.

If I had more time I would search out and compare all the people who posted hoping Nelson would get hurt and see if they are the same people wishing him well. Keep it classy coogur fans.

• cougarlove Blanding, UT
    Sept. 22, 2010 8:57 a.m.

What about the defense? Nelson is a class act and will be missed. The big concern is how bad is the defense- The front 7 is the worst in america. They will do fine with the lower end mwc, but the real teams they have no speed. Need defense

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Sept. 22, 2010 8:45 a.m.

I wish Riley the best; he has a bright future in football and life. Recent national magazine said a byu degree is worth $800,000. He has that and another year of football. People on talk radio still criticize Bronco's "quest for perfection" quote of 2008 and yet they have no clue that it is about life and not just football. Look where people like Max Hall are today because people helped them see new horizons. The hate that is out there in media reminds me of how cynical much of the media is. Unlike the mission of the D-news, many out there make money off of negativity and darkness.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 22, 2010 8:30 a.m.

So, Nelson's injury occurred in fall camp? That means St. Jake couldn't beat out an banged-up transfer with a bad non-throwing arm and a not-very-good throwing arm. Yet here he is spouting the Quest for Perfection mantra: "If we're executing on every play, we can put 50 points on the board every game."

I'm sure that quote is on a wall in Reno. St. Jake's writing checks his team may not be able to cash.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Sept. 22, 2010 8:07 a.m.

Wanna bet? | 9:57 p.m. Sept. 21, 2010
    North Las Vegas, NV
    "I bet anyone on this comment board that Riley wouldn't have elected to get surgery if he were the started. I'm sure he's really injured, but I bet $5 that he would have played through it if he were the starter."
    ===

How would we know who won? What is the criteria? How will the payoff be made? It's an anon comment board.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Sept. 22, 2010 6:28 a.m.

I'm betting there is more to this story than we are being told. This whole saga is one that is shameful on the part of the football program.

6-6 if all goes well.

• Utefan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 22, 2010 4:21 a.m.

How unfortunate that Riley injured his shoulder, I sincerely hope he gets better soon. How fortunate for Bronco that now he does not have to make the decision. Interesting that now that Jake is going to be the quarterback, expectations are only for a 6-6 or 5-7 season.

• Eddie T Baton Rouge, LA
    Sept. 22, 2010 4:11 a.m.

Where are all the BYU fans who were calling for Riley's head last week and saying he was horrible?

@ Northern. No. Keep him out of Logan. That ship has sailed. Not sure if I want the Alma Mater to be Riley's silver medal school.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Sept. 22, 2010 12:17 a.m.

First, rather than speculating on when or whether a hit occurred that caused/worsened Nelson's injury, why not just believe what your coach had to say about it? Shouldn't you give Bronco the benefit of the doubt, or has his failed two-quarterback strategy somehow prompted you to question his integrity?

It sounds like some of you are analyzing footage of the FSU like its the Zapruder film. For those of you who don't know what that is, look it up.

Second, don't many of you feel hypocritical in praising Nelson now and giving him well-wishes, after attacking him for the last few weeks? You showed your colors, a quick "good luck, Riley" won't change them.

Finally, you BYU fans enjoyed decades of dominance in the WAC. You now feel entitled to it. But parity in the MWC, and runs of difficulty (the Crowton era, and the recent quarterback issues) have exposed warts on your dermabrasioned complexions.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 11:03 p.m.

Well thats unfortunate, get healthy soon Riley. With that said, its time to see what Heaps can do. It will be nice to have one clear starter and Heaps getting majority of the reps. This will help the receivers and qb build chemistry and get on the same page. Time to get the ball to the playmakers, Di Luigi and Jacobson. Hopefully one the TEs will emerge, that is really missing from the offense this year. Last year the TEs were big on third down conversions.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Sept. 21, 2010 10:00 p.m.

I think you can thank Nelson for the one win over UW. Without him BYU would have lost that one also.

I also think he could have won some more games this year if he were not injured. He was the best choice for some games and situation.

To pretend that an end to the QB controversy is going to solve much is pretty naive. Heaps has a lot of potential and a lot of learning to do.

Lets hope BYU does not end up like U HOU which lost both it's Heisman QB and back up and is now starting 2 freshman.

Well BYU is more or less starting 2 freshman.

• Wanna bet? North Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 21, 2010 9:57 p.m.

• Bugoff Houston, TX
    Sept. 21, 2010 9:56 p.m.

There is nothing good about losing Riley Nelson. He had experience and he could move the ball against certain teams and in certain situations.

I hope he does get his medical redshirt. I think he will be back at QB in the future but in a specialty role. He will provide a diverse look when BYU's offense is seasoned enough to handle more than the basic playbook.

NO True BYU fan wants anybody injured on the BYU team.

The trolls, USU or Utah or whatever brand are demeaning the the teams the pretend to support.

Losing Nelson does not make Bronco's life easier. It makes it much harder.

What if Heaps get hurt (even for a couple of games)? Further, Heaps has the whole weight of the team now.

Does anyone know the situation with the other injured players?

Nelson did get hurt in the AF game and kept playing. He came out with his non throwing arm limp but came back out later and played. Who knows what happened in the FSU game.

Nelson did the best he could with the gifts he had and that is all you can ask. He will be missed.

• pleblian salt lake city, utah
    Sept. 21, 2010 9:50 p.m.

Ok, I'm a BYU grad, but the common accusations are true. BYU fans are weak, fickle and whiny. How can you pray for a freshman to start as quarterback?

Only the willfully blind would give up on a player like Nelson, and secretly revel in his injury. Lame. In case you don't watch games, or pay attention to stats, or appreciate experience, Riley Nelson outplayed Jake Heaps, scored more points, and had the team's respect.

BYU fans who place all their faith in Heaps show a general insecurity and small mindedness about the program. No serious program wishes to have a starting freshman quarterback. Top recruits, while valuable, are not seen as saviors in serious programs.

Remember Ben Olsen? or have you forgot him along with other high school heroes? Heaps is in trouble. He has no true power running back, poorly performing receivers, and a porous defense. BYU risks losing to Nevada, USU, SDSU, TCU and Utah. A 5-7 record. WIth Nelson adding dimension to the offense, they compete with Nevada, beat USU, SDSU and compete with Utah. Now Heaps 'learns' a lot getting sacked while waiting for his receivers to get open.

• Basketballogy Orem, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 9:33 p.m.

I'm disappointed that so many fans seem to think Riley's injury is bad luck for him, but somehow good for BYU.

Guys...

Max Hall, Harvey Unga, Dennis Pitta, Manase Tonga, Jan Jorgenson, R.J. Willing, Andrew George, etc. all left...

Just THINK of the talent in that group!

And because they were so amazing, this year's team didn't get the time on the field and the seasoning they might have otherwise had when the time came for them to be starters.

Of *COURSE* BYU is going to struggle more this year!

And having just one quarterback isn't some magic fairy dust that magically manufactures a "leadership" that somehow fills the gaping hole left by those extraordinary talents.

Besides, we all know that the critics of the 2 quarterback system would likewise be critical of whichever quarterback Bronco did choose if BYU were losing as they are now.

BYU is rebuilding. Like it or not, it's reality.

Riley's a class act and I'm glad he chose the Y, and I'm hoping he'll be back to full health leading (or co-leading) the team again next year.

Get well soon.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 9:14 p.m.

Live Hard

Dude, classless to make light of an injury.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 9:12 p.m.

to The Spiker:

Did you watch the game - they indicated at the time that he was heading to the sideline with his right arm down to his side - they mentioned it was not his throwing are. Pretty evident that it happened in the FS game. Anything could have happened and not necessarily shown up on tape.

• Laser North Liberty, IA
    Sept. 21, 2010 9:06 p.m.

Tough luck, but he is a gritty kid and will be back. Best of luck to him.

• John Stewart Pill Vienna, VA
    Sept. 21, 2010 9:05 p.m.

I admire the way you play the game. You deserve everyone's respect for your attitude also.

• stanfunky Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 8:39 p.m.

Nelson, good luck in your recovery. You will be missed.

Heaps, Lark, Munns, get your game on. There's no one to divert blame now, it's time to produce.

Find a guy to build chemistry with, preferably a TE, and get this offense moving.

• Big Al Provo, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 8:32 p.m.

All you peabrains that are implying or suggesting that this unfortunate turn of events is some kind of manipulation that serves the purpose of BYU football probably also believe that 9/11 was an inside job. Why does it matter how Riley was injured? Maybe he tripped on the sidewalk strolling across campus! If you can't see it on the video replay, does that mean the surgery is just some sort of trumped up rouse? I swore off this blog once, and now I'm doing it again. I'm out . . .

• Observation-ist Ogden, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 8:11 p.m.

To: Gracious George ... here's my attempt at a kind response ... Riley just had his season end with an injury, that unless you have evidence to the contrary, happened in the FSU game. Whether it started against AFA or only FSU is irrelevent. He's hurt. That should, optimum word 'should' illicit compassion from readers in the spirit of good sportsmanship. You're comments were neither compassionate or sportsmanship-like. You ought to be ashamed of the person in the mirror.

Best wishes Riley. I'm sorry for your injury. I hope your future is bright and you're able to fulfill your desire to help the team. You'll be missed.

• DC Alexandria, VA
    Sept. 21, 2010 6:59 p.m.

With Riley BYU was looking at a 6-6 season. I'm more than happy to have a 6-6 season with our future leading the charge.

• Ibleedcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 6:58 p.m.

Tough break and an end to a tough season for the kid. Good luck with your future where ever you end up!!

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Sept. 21, 2010 6:54 p.m.

Wow! Saw the video of the injury and I'm puzzled over how he could have injured. The clip I saw showed the play 3 times and in it Riley could be clearly seen to end the play being pulled down to the turf in such a way that Riley ended up on top of the tackler, not below him.

Strange.

Good luck getting healed, Riley.

GO COUGARS!

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Sept. 21, 2010 6:41 p.m.

Skywalker, relax. There was no libel in GG's words. Just an interesting question. What you inferred is your own issue. Are you seriously asking for an apology?

If anything he should apologize for saying Heaps had such a great game against Florida St. Now THAT isn't true....

• buryme Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 21, 2010 6:40 p.m.

Injury comes to the rescue of stupidity. And that aint no knock on Riley. It's a knock on ever coach that voted for duel quarterbacks

• Flame of the West Laguna Niguel, CA
    Sept. 21, 2010 6:30 p.m.

Riley - best wishes to you. You have class and are a leader among your peers and fans - thank you for choosing the Y!

And thanks for not putting your foot in your mouth this weekend like two other BYU QBs (Heaps, Sark).

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Sept. 21, 2010 6:10 p.m.

Graceless George

"why don't you explain why all of a sudden a guy just gets 'injured'"

If you have any proof whatsoever that Riley didn't injure his shoulder in the Florida State game, either produce it or apologize for your libelous accusations.

Then grow up and start acting like somebody who is actually old enough to know what the word "cacophony" means.

• TDS Fan Provo, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 6:08 p.m.

@GoUtah

"With Riley out, I'm smelling a 6-6 season."

More like 5-7.

• mr. j Cottonwood Hts., Ut
    Sept. 21, 2010 5:41 p.m.

Right on!
    Now we can alternate snaps between heaps and Munns!
    Nevada hasnt seen any of Munns Yet!

• GoUtah Provo, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 5:40 p.m.

With Riley out, I'm smelling a 6-6 season.

• Aggie24 Hyde Park, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 5:33 p.m.

Gracious George:

"Many years ago my shoulder was hurt in an endeavor--this person has done nothing to help this team improve"

What is this? It certainly isn't a sentence. There is absolutely nothing which links these two ideas together. What were you even trying to say? Normally I wouldn't comment on something like this, but your attempts at maligning someone who was just injured really make it even more funny that you cannot form a coherent sentence. You go on to say:

"He has only been a bittersweet cacophony of various issues and seemed only to care for the things that mattered to promote himself."

What?!?! Are you just trying to use big words now? Care to back up those accusations with anything tangible? And if "this person has done nothing to help this team improve" why would he be a "bittersweet cacophony?" Wouldn't he just be a bitter cacophony? In fact, do you know what cacophony means? Because using sweetness in any context with cacophony (even "bittersweet")basically makes it an oxymoron. A cacophony is unpleasant; that's what makes it a cacaphony!

• Gracious George West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 21, 2010 5:27 p.m.

Re: Big Hapa

I thought the people on here were moderating the comments, but it needed people like you to test them, so...

By the way, since you have all the answers, why don't you explain why all of a sudden a guy just gets "injured" when he has a lousy week against Air Force and his counterpart does a terrific job against Florida State?

Give us your expert explanation, if you care to explain it NICELY.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 5:21 p.m.

Good luck to Riley, and we hope he recovers soon.

On with the passing game and Jake Heaps. Jake, take a cue from Max Hall. Find a receiver like Max did in Austin Collie, and throw a thousand + balls in off-time practice to that man and develop consistency, timing, and confidence. It paid off very nice dividends for everyone! Look where both those guys are today.

Go Cougars!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 21, 2010 5:17 p.m.

Wookie!--You should do some soul-searching. You might just find one.

• Jimmy James Bronx, NY
    Sept. 21, 2010 5:15 p.m.

Get well soon Riley.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 5:14 p.m.

sad for Reily and his family

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 5:10 p.m.

Re: GG

I guess the fake surgery is happening on a fake Friday the fake day of the 24th of September, in a fake hospital with fake doctors and a fake OR scrub team.

However, you can rest assure that your Santa & Easter Bunny are home alive and well buddy OK.

Walk away just walk away tall.

People who need medication should not have access to a computer.

"POLY" Cougar Nation

• Idaho Coug Meridian, Idaho
    Sept. 21, 2010 4:57 p.m.

Riley is a great kid even if not a great fit at QB for BYU. I hope he recovers quickly. As Lark and Munns step up and develop, Nelson will be completely out of the QB picture when he recovers.

He is a great leader and great athlete. I could easily see him competing for a wide-open safety position next season. He knows QBs, can run, is tough and is a vocal leader. He may be a great fit back there.

Okay Heaps - time to live up to your legend. No question the consistent reps and focused coaching will only help him and his receivers. I am predicting that by the USU game the passing game will be back on track. Very worried about the Nevada game though.

• Gracious George West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 21, 2010 4:51 p.m.

I believe that it served this individual's best interests to have this injury.

Many years ago my shoulder was hurt in an endeavor--this person has done nothing to help this team improve.

It is unfortunate--the timing of this is quite suspect, too. Perhaps he just got "injured" when the writing on the wall was becoming clear, and now he's getting cold feet because he's paid his dues.

• govt rocks Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 4:48 p.m.

They better get Lark up to speed, because with how atrocious the offensive line played in the last two games, Heaps ain't going to last long. BYU needs to go almost strictly to a short passing game and get the ball out fast to avoid more hits on the quarterback.

• Big Hapa Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 4:40 p.m.

Riley is my friend and his family are the greatest and classy bunch of people you will ever have the privilege to know. Joni & Kieth you guy's are the greatest and I know that Riley will be just fine, my heart aches for him and all the effort he has put into getting himself and this team ready for the season.

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy summer with Bryan Kirya, to take the time to go up to Primary's and visit our Davis Cox who is battling cancer. You have a big heart and it includes much more then football. Riley "A oi e tala" to thee oh son "Teia Teia Te Ala Nui O Talani La "
    Your "POLY" Cougar Nation has your Back Btrutha !!!

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 4:36 p.m.

@NKAWTG

You may be right. I do recall Nelson getting sacked at least once by the Seminoles so it wouldn't surprise me if he was injured then. It would also not surprise me if it was a combination of the Air Force and FSU games that led to the injury. Nelson had a higher risk of injury because of his style of play, and the way he ran the ball like a running back. I don't think he could have lasted the whole season as the starter if he continued to play that way. I really like Nelson and hope he recovers and is granted a medical red-shirt so he can come back and play two years in a new role. I think he would be a potent weapon at HB.

• Northern Logan, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 4:36 p.m.

Riley Come back to USU next year, Borel will have graduated and we have a good up and coming team. I bet you will get the start and you can be a hometown hero.

• nehu Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 4:36 p.m.

This board is always too entertaining to turn away from. Similar to watching a train wreck, you simply have to keep looking (reading).

BYU fans are such ludicrous hypocrites. Anyone who cares, recall all that the Cougar faithful had to say about Riley before this, wishing this injury upon him? Well now they have their wish it is all get well soon Barney Rubble.

I don't really care what Riley does as he was always an awkward fit at BYU, I mean Brandon Doman only ran 1/3 as much as Riley, so how Riley would ever fit in? Glad he was hurt in time to get out of Provo and while Kewgs will post otherwise they are all happy he's out too. They won't come out and say it but the faith loving Kewgs are stoked.

Good recovery to the Y fans. Always a benevolent and lovely group of Kewgs:)

We love you Riley (for comedic effect).

I personally do wish him well but am just calling the bluff of Cougars wishing him the same recovery.

• So. Cal Reader Escondido, CA
    Sept. 21, 2010 4:29 p.m.

Best wished to Riley in his recover, indeed. Top notch guy. Now the "Heaps Era" offically has started. Stay healthy, my friend! Stay healthy!

Re: chase SL | 3:40 p.m. Sept. 21, 2010
    "I can't help but Bronco has got to be relived. This quarterback situation was a huge sliver in his buttochs."

Bronco created the QB situation. He was sounding more and more like the second coming of "Crowton Year 2"!!

Let's go Cougs!!!!

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Sept. 21, 2010 4:29 p.m.

I want Riley back!

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 4:29 p.m.

After Nelson transfers again (he obviously wont get any more playing time for BYU as a qb unless heaps does the right thing and goes on a mission), will he speak about all that goes on behind closed curtains at that school?

He might make some dough on a book deal, I wonder what the title would be?

• NKAWTG Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 4:20 p.m.

@The Spiker and Represent

Look at the video on KSL website and you can see Riley running off the field and you can tell his right shoulder or arm is hurt. I think he even played one series after that. He's a tough kid. He will be missed but I think Heaps was the guy anyway.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 4:16 p.m.

I'm sorry for Riley, but this will be a good thing for Heaps and the team. This will make it easier for any of the players who were hoping Riley would remain the QB. Hopefully now the team will rally around the young Heaps and play up to their potential. They need to get a TE that can help the team and develop into a reliable target.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 4:16 p.m.

Rily, your mature presence will sorely be missed...good luck, heal fast, stay strong, we are still here when your able to come back!!!

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 4:09 p.m.

@TheSpiker

I agree. My guess is the injury occurred in the Air Force game. Nelson played his heart out and took a pounding in that game. He did not even play much in the Florida State game. As tragic as this is for Nelson, I think this is actually good for the entire team as it will end this QB controversy once and for all. By the time Nelson returns next season Heaps will be the established starter, with Lark the established backup. I think Nelson will be moved to a different position when he returns. I really like the idea of Nelson playing as a halfback where he can take direct snaps or run an HB option where the ball is handed off to him and he rolls out and either passes or runs. I don't think Nelson will transfer again.

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 4:07 p.m.

Too bad, he has worked hard. I wish him luck in his recovery and I hope he can find ways to continue to help the team off the field.

I hope Heaps grows up fast. Big test coming up Saturday.

• What Yeah Centerville, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 3:59 p.m.

Somebody who knows Riley needs to direct him to this board so he can know that BYU fans appreciate his effort and leadership.

Thanks Riley. It'll be exciting to get you back next season so the team can use your grit and determination to help win some football games. I'm calling it now, Riley scores a rushing touchdown at Texas, helping secure one of the biggest wins in BYU history.

Write it down. Remind me in a year :)

• BleedingBlue@theU Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 3:56 p.m.

RE: chase SL
    I agree. This makes it much easier on both Bronco and the rest of the team. Best of luck to you Riley!

• pleblian salt lake city, utah
    Sept. 21, 2010 3:55 p.m.

Uh Oh. Unless the recievers improve dramatically, BYU is in trouble. Nevada and USU are not patty cakes. Luckly, after those games the team will have some breathing room.

Riley, you were the only thing exciting about BYU football this year.

• bikeboy Boise, ID
    Sept. 21, 2010 3:54 p.m.

I'm curious about 13 players being injured in a game.

Is that typical, or do them Seminoles hit harder then the players in these parts?

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Sept. 21, 2010 3:50 p.m.

Thanks Riley for all of your hard work and dedication to the BYU football program.

Good luck on a speedy recovery!

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 3:45 p.m.

Interesting. So the doctors made the decision for Bronco?

Get well Riley.

Heaps, watch out for those Nevada Defensive Ends. They are quick!

• TheSpiker Alpine, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 3:42 p.m.

I just replayed the two series that Riley played in the FS game. I did not see any special hit or anything else to suggest that he was injured in the game. Wondering out loud if this has been a lingering injury from one of the previous games.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 3:42 p.m.

Was this a strategic move?
    If Heaps decides on a mission next year, Riley comes back as the starter!

If Heaps decides to stay for four years, Riley can jump ship again and will have two years to promise some other University!

Where will Riley go? SUU, ASU, NAU, Idaho, USU?

If I am Riley, I am heading back to Logan, today...not tomorrow!

• chase SL Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 3:40 p.m.

Whos with me?

• Cosmo Springville, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 3:37 p.m.

You done good Riley! We'll miss you at the games! Here's to a quick recovery!

Gooooo Cougars!

• Bay Area Dude San Ramon, CA
    Sept. 21, 2010 3:34 p.m.

Well that simplifies things...sad, but it does simplify the debate.

• tron527 Provo, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 3:33 p.m.

I am sorry for Nelson but at least now the quarterback controversy is dead. Too bad he won't get to go to Logan and face those fans, I know Ben Olsen had fun going back to Provo ;)

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Sept. 21, 2010 3:29 p.m.

Well the merry-go-round is over. Heaps and Lark are the guys.

Now to pick a tight end and get these guys some reps. They all need them.

• TheSpiker Alpine, UT
    Sept. 21, 2010 3:26 p.m.

This is a fine young man and I wish him the best in his recovery.