Poll shows Herbert with 21-point lead over Corroon

• pangent617 Draper, UT
    Sept. 16, 2010 10:24 p.m.

To quote Mr Coroon from the article:

"I'm attacking Gary Herbert's policy position. I'm not going after him personally," Corroon said.

I have seen the commercials and heard teh radio spots, he is calling the governor dishonest, I am sorry Mr Coroon that is personal and not a policy discussion.

If you are going to be negative this early, perhaps it is what you really have to offer. My advice is to go pack to your "cheap. . ." type commercials they had an impact, but now the taste in my mouth is not a good one. I am inclined not to vote for Mr Coroon because he wandered form policy issues.

• davidutefan Evanston, WY
    Sept. 16, 2010 4:42 p.m.

I used to be a resident of Utah and with Herbert as Gov.,I'm certainly glad I moved. Contracts awarded to campaign donors, Security staff intervening in his son's alleged difficulties to keep it out of the press? sounds like Utahns have found their own "Kingfish". Amazing what happens in a one party system.

• Mrs. Spiff Kearns, UT
    Sept. 16, 2010 4:19 p.m.

Herbert may be morally conservative, but he is fiscally liberal. My vote is for Corroon!!!!

• Anonymous Infinity American Fork, UT
    Sept. 16, 2010 4:14 p.m.

If Herbert doesn't win by more than 21%, then this state has gone further down the tubes than I think it has. Our main goal is to elect Herbert, who is pro-private sector; as in where do you think taxes come from? We are currently spending plenty of money for education and other essential government in Utah. Those who keep telling us ad nauseum in the media how we need to spend more money for education, etc. are loco lunitoons. Carroon is a lightweight and has not chance. My other goal is to bring Matheson home from Washington, D.C. He plays this game of trying to sell himself as a moderate (liberal) progressive( liberal). Vote Philpot early and often.

• Flaming Liberal Sandy, UT
    Sept. 16, 2010 2:47 p.m.

If you sincerely believe that a democrat could win the governorship in Utah, you are up in the night or "bonkers" if you will.

• ExecutorIoh West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 16, 2010 2:21 p.m.

Spend 5 minutes in a room with Carroon and you will want to leave wanting to invest in barfbags and hand sanitizer. The man is creepy.

It astonishes me that people attack Herbert, especially on the budget when at the same time Salt Lake County is one of the poorest fiscally managed municipalities in the state. Carroon is squeaking by in SL County. They are failing to meet their obligations with regards to street and flood control maintenance (underfunded) and they privatize the police department because they can't afford it anymore.

Criticize Herbert for $20-50M budget hole, but at least UHP still reports to the state.

• Redstatewriter
    Sept. 16, 2010 1:05 p.m.

Back in March 2010... "Corroon, a Democrat, called on the governor to push a bill that would cut state elected officer salaries by 10 percent. Herbert and lawmakers, the mayor said, "need to set the example and do what is right."

But no word on Corroon taking a 10% pay cut as county mayor. By the way, Herbert earns $109,900 while Corroon makes more at $129,958.

Corroon the Buffoon.

• wandrew
    Sept. 16, 2010 11:57 a.m.

I note that the poll numbers add up to 96%. No mention, however, of other candidates. As the Libertarian candidate for governor, I have full ballot access. What is the point of excluding me in the poll? I am entitled to be invited to some debates, including the KUED television debate if I register 5% in a poll. I guess the way to avoid that is to just leave me out. Is that fair?

• Liberal Ted
    Sept. 16, 2010 10:45 a.m.

I agree with Casual Observer.

Of course you can run on a rounded up 20% cut in the budget. He never had a choice. The tax revenue had been decreased by 20%.

I would say he could run on that, had he cut the budget 20% when the good times were rolling and they had budget surpluses and gave rebates to the people.

However, he spent everything during the good times. And when revenue fell 20% he had to make cuts, just like everyone else (except Obama who could print more money). That's not being frugal or cheap!! What happens if the economy improves? What if they started collecting 20% more, do you think we'll get that back as a rebate? I don't think so, it will be spent on more liberal agendas.

• Rox
    Sept. 16, 2010 10:33 a.m.

Why? He is not forthcoming about any of these financial dealings. We want an honest man.

• Utah Dem
    Sept. 16, 2010 10:31 a.m.

I spent two hours last night polling independent female voters to ask two questions - if the vote was held today would you support Corroon/Allen or Herbert/Bell and the second question was what is your top issue on this year's special governor's election - the majority was Utah's economy and creating jobs, education came in a close second.

Just the limited number of individuals that I called (which I guess could just about compare to the Dan Jones poll) those that stated "I have no interest" were females in their 40s. What a sad statement that you can be an adult, presumably working and paying taxes and you still don't care about your political leaders that make many decisions regarding your life.

Also curious that the majority of those I called have still not made of their minds.

Sept. 16, 2010 9:56 a.m.

Corroon was handicapped from the beginning....he is a liberal big gov't Democrat! You can get away with that from Magna to Glendale to Rose Park and even to the Avenues.....but the rest of the state is too smart to put up with that nonsense! Corroon couldn't have asked for an easier condidate to beat...lets face it...Herbert is somehwhat of a Liberal himself? Its like voting for the lesser of two evils!

• casual observer
    Sept. 16, 2010 9:23 a.m.

Despite his campaign adds, Mr. Corroon has not been frugal as SL County mayor. Property values have decreased and property taxes have increased. We now pay separately for police protection. It is a bad omen of things to come if he were elected governor.

• 1Observer
    Sept. 16, 2010 9:22 a.m.

Re Pagan - Your points against Herbert are comical. Trying to project a budget 16 months out in these economic times is nearly impossible. It is difficult even in good times, hence the reason we have surpluses or deficits to cover every year.

As for being last in per pupil spending, that will be the case for the foreseeable future no matter who gets elected. To get to Idaho's level, we would have to have a 20-25% increase in taxes. To get to the national average we would have to have a 100% increase in taxes. The public would never support it and there isn't enough money in other budget to just shift things around. (Even if you factor in UDOTs $13 million blunder.)

Corroon hasn't really done much better with the County. He claims he cut County government by x% but in reality the economy did that because they didn't have tax revenue. Then they worked their funny magic on the police fee to hide a tax increase.

Neither are all that inspiring but as for me I am going with Herbert.

• Dane
    Sept. 16, 2010 9:10 a.m.

The records of both men speak loudly for themselves and I think Mayor Corroon's comes out far superior. In Gov. Herbert's camp we continously hear a lot of talk but with little follow-up. Remember the big press conference about clean air during an inversion in Feb. and a launch of the "Clear the Air" campaign? Herbert didn't even bother to participate--Corroon and Becker, along with many other local leaders, did.

As a born-and-raised Utah Mormon, I have grown very sick of politicians thinking they can do almost anything and get away with it simply because they are Republican and Mormon.

And schools!? I loved my public school and I graduated from seminary, a privelege totally taken for granted in Utah. So why would the Gov try to belittle Corroon, a Catholic, for sending his kids to a private Catholic school? Especially odd, given that John Huntsman's kids attended private Catholic schools here, as well.

And energy? The Gov's Balanced Resource Council is supposed to bring people from both sides of the energy argument together but there is not a single environmental representative on that panel.

...getting very tired of this...

• Democrat
    Sept. 16, 2010 8:39 a.m.

What people don't realize is that incumbents should always be well over 50% or they are in trouble. In 2000 Dem candidate Bill Orton did nothing but stand there and look respectible and he got 42% of the vote against Leavitt. Not only is Corroon not a "sacrificial lamb"--he is respected like Orton, but he also is actually raising money and going on TV. Yes, Corroon is the underdog, but he does have a shot. There is no way Herbert is going to win by 21%. Most of those undecideds will break for Corroon but it will take almost all of them for Corroon to win. If the bad news keeps raining on Herbert then he might lose a few of his current supporters which could tip the scales.

• weareight
    Sept. 16, 2010 8:36 a.m.

Democrat or not... I wouldn't vote for Corroon.

• TedsPal
    Sept. 16, 2010 8:20 a.m.

One more point: some of you aren't being realistic if you really believe that Herbert should be aware of every decision an agency director makes. That's just plain ridiculous. Do you grasp at all the sheer scope of government bureaucracy and how many agencies and people are involved? Any governor has far too much to do to micromanage every action by every department--he has to trust his people. And if he can't, then they shouldn't be his people.

In the current "scandal," John Njord, the director of UDOT, acted fully within the scope of the current rules by making the decision to give the $13 million payout without consulting either the governor or the legislature. There is an exemption in the rules requiring "permission" for payouts specifically for UDOT. So anger at Njord or the governor or the legislature for not informing people or for not knowing about the decision is IRRATIONAL. If you're unhappy about the non-notification, then lobby for the rule exempting UDOT to be changed. But meanwhile, don't pillory everyone involved for acting in accordance with the rules that are currently in place.

• Pagan
    Sept. 16, 2010 8:17 a.m.

While you are free to make your choice, my vote is for Corroon.

Herbert put Nuclear waste withine one veto of comming to Utah.

Bad budgeting.

'State budget is $50M short of projection' - By Lisa Riley Roche - Deseret News - 09/08/10

'SALT LAKE CITY State revenues fell nearly $50 million short of projections in the recently ended budget year, but Gov. Gary Herbert said that's good news.'

'Utah last in U.S. in spending per pupil — again' - By Molly Farmer and Lee Davidson - DSNews - 06/29/10

'The census found that Utah schools spent on average $5,765 per student in 2007-08. Idaho was second-lowest at $6,931 — but that was still 20 percent higher than what was spent in Utah.
    Nationally, schools spent $10,259 per student on average. That is almost twice as much as in Utah.'

The $1.3 million dollar construction contract...

True, some people will ONLY be swayed by the 'R' or 'D', but I have tried to actually do some reasearch.

My vote is for Corroon.

Please vote.

• TedsPal
    Sept. 16, 2010 8:13 a.m.

Caroon doesn't smell too good, in my opinion. I was considering supporting him, but after the current "scandal," I'm revolted. The same day or the next day after the story broke, he was on the air with ads capitalizing on it, even BEFORE all of the facts were known. But a lack of complete information didn't prevent Caroon from trying to make political hay. I also think his decisions over the last few years have been made with his political ambitions in mind, rather than his principles. And I find it interesting that neither local paper is doing much investigating into Caroon. I find it hard to believe that there is nothing there to question. Caroon should be coming under the same level of scrutiny that Herbert is. And, let's not forget that Caroon is related to Howard Dean. Dean is one nutty dude.

I'm not that thrilled about Herbert, but I think I trust Caroon even less. Especially since no one is taking a hard look at him. I wish we had better candidates to choose from across the board. Unfortunately, the best people want nothing to do with politics.

• Liberal Ted
    Sept. 16, 2010 8:09 a.m.

It's interesting to see the left-wing out in force pushing their candidate with the 'D' behind his name. Can't make a decision based on anything besides that letter.

• Cats
    Sept. 16, 2010 8:07 a.m.

I think these things are going to be blips on the screen. Herbert should win confortably.

A few small campaign attacks are NOT going to get the people to vote for someone who has a political philosophy that is in complete conflict with most of the people of this state. That's what happened with Obama. Voters made a big mistake and didn't seem to quite understand what Obama was about. Now they know. Utah voters won't make the same mistake for governor.

• Liberal Ted
    Sept. 16, 2010 8:04 a.m.

Baron Scarpia | 5:43 a.m. Sept. 16, 2010

Yeah, a commercial about wearing your brothers shoes and have little chicks, cheap cheaping away.

Well that explains what he'll do as Governor. At least Herbert explains how he'll help business and get jobs here, rather than how he will cheaply spend our money.

• Furry1993
    Sept. 16, 2010 7:44 a.m.

To Red Smith | 8:14 p.m. Sept. 15, 2010

***Pete Corroon is like Obama. ***

If true, that makes him FAR better than Herbert.

• Hanksboy
    Sept. 16, 2010 7:19 a.m.

I'm an independent and am probably going for Herbert. Corroon is taking too much time criticizing Herbert, not enough talking about his own record and positions, That makes me suspicious. My taxes are higher, the "fee" charged for police protection is a joke. And I've yet to hear Corroon explain things like why in a tough budget year he spent $700,000 for WII games for county employees. Criticism of one's opponent is expected, I guess, unless it's used to deflect attention from one's own record.

• Cedarite
    Sept. 16, 2010 6:59 a.m.

Herbert has the magic "R" after his name, that means an almost certain win no matter what here in Utah.

• Baron Scarpia
    Sept. 16, 2010 5:43 a.m.

As an independent, I'm leaning for Carroon given that he's been a good, no-nonsense and practical mayor for the county. Sherly Allen has also been a good moderate voice and supporter for education.

I've been amazed by how feeble Herbert's ad campaign has been, and his quotes are hardly inspiring. The "Ethics reform is no substitute for good ethics" quote at the end of one of his ads during all the news controversy regarding the $13 million pay out to a road contractor has not instilled much confidence in Herbert's administration! Either Herbert knew of the back-door deal or he SHOULD have known -- and if he didn't, that says a lot about his administration!

I've also been tracking the energy hearings on Herbert's 10-year energy plan, and his defensive tone for Utah to pursue tar sands, coal, oil, and gas despite all the opposition voiced in the hearings is disheartening... I think he and his administration have already made a decision that Utah will stick with 19th century fossil fuels.

Just how much will these industries expect the state to offer in subsidies and tax incentives?

• Richie
    Sept. 16, 2010 12:49 a.m.

For the people supporting Corroon, you have been reading the biased papers and listening to KSL. Both major newspapers in the Salt Lake Valley are now hard left.

• DiscoKing
    Sept. 15, 2010 9:17 p.m.

Wow, Corroon's within striking distance. If all of those people out there who say that a democrat could never win would actually go out and VOTE, a democrat would win!

• chris8484
    Sept. 15, 2010 8:53 p.m.

If voters like big business running the state, they should vote for Herbert. I am a Republican, but I am supporting Caroon. I've watched him carefully as he has served in the county and believe he's a smarter, wiser candidate. His work experience and educational experience are far superior to Gov. Herbert's, who never graduated from college.

• Red Smith
    Sept. 15, 2010 8:14 p.m.

Pete Corroon is like Obama.