Sports

Utah Utes football: Utes beat Pitt in thriller

Phillips drills the game-winning FG in OT to lift the Utes over Pitt

Comments

• VegasUte
    Sept. 7, 2010 12:43 p.m.

Way to go Utes! Thrilling game. Way to shut down the Heisman candidate and the "monster" d-lineman. Just shows how deep and strong we are.

Go Utes! Co Crimson!

(GO AF - couldn't resist!)

• Anti Bush-Obama
    Sept. 3, 2010 10:05 p.m.

These classy BYU fans will become Tide fans when we make it to a BCS game again. Please have some outrageous slogan this year BYU. We know that Utah will be the ones to live up to whatever that slogan is.

• brooks
    Sept. 3, 2010 8:07 p.m.

Go Utes! I just want to thank all the classy BYU fans for their great supportive comments! Well done!

• Alaskan Coug
    Sept. 3, 2010 7:09 p.m.

Great Win. Close but a win, First game is always hard. The "D" carried the team. Hope you win every game but the last. Then go and kick B... next year in the PAC 12. Go Gougs

• hedgehog
    Sept. 3, 2010 5:48 p.m.

Usportsfan,

I agree. the Oline was solid. Cullen actually lived up to his hype - he'll have alot of expectations on him this year... so far so good.

• Utes4Ever
    Sept. 3, 2010 5:46 p.m.

Y Ask Y -

Sorry if I misunderstood your post. It sounded like a desperate attempt from a Utah fan to stir up an argument with BYU fans after all of the positive comments that had been posted. I really had no clue you were a Y-fan. That being said, your fan base, overall, have been very cordial in their posts on this article.

• USportsFan
    Sept. 3, 2010 5:24 p.m.

I'm not sure if anyone is going to say this... but I think Pitt was the national leader with like 48 sacks last year with 2 great defensive ends that came back this year. Greg Romeus was supposed to be a beast and was to lead the way to create havoc for Wynn. However, he only had 4 tackles and didn't get any pressure on Wynn. Why? because the O-line owned Pitt last night.

Everyone already knows that we stopped the run and got plenty of pressure on Sunseri with the D-line.

Can we actually give credit to the O-line and D-line for the success last night?

Just a thought.

• Y Ask Y
    Sept. 3, 2010 4:51 p.m.

utwingnut,

You give it a rest. I am a BYU grad and fan.

Duh

• utwingnut
    Sept. 3, 2010 3:27 p.m.

Y Ask Y | 9:52 a.m. Sept. 3, 2010:

"I can't believe all the anti-Ute comments coming from BYU fans!"

What are you talking about. Utes4Ever is right. Give it a rest.

From a BYU fan.

Rise & Shout!!

• Utefan
    Sept. 3, 2010 3:12 p.m.

I love it when the 3rd largest crowd in RES history is called half full by some Zoobie who grew up going to games in happy valley because they were giving tickets away at the ward!

• johnny pigskin
    Sept. 3, 2010 3:10 p.m.

To play through all the turnovers and win is the sign of a darn good team!!! Great start to another great season!!!

• Y Ask Y
    Sept. 3, 2010 3:07 p.m.

To Utes4Ever,

I am a BYU fan, with 2 degrees from the Zoo. What are you talking about?

• Wally West
    Sept. 3, 2010 2:49 p.m.

re: Lane Myer | 12:33 p.m. Sept. 3, 2010

You'd think that w/ an above average Accounting program @ tds, they could master simple math.

• Snark
    Sept. 3, 2010 2:44 p.m.

I was out of town did not get the news about the Utah win until this morning. That is terrific!! I don't care how sloppy the play is. It is the first game of the season and so you expect some of that. But winning against a ranked opponent to start the season is just huge. I do have to laugh though abouth USA Today's coverage of the game. They went on about how this was a huge victory for the MWC and their efforts to get AQ status. What? Congratulations Utah from a loyal Cougar fan!

• utahcountyute
    Sept. 3, 2010 2:42 p.m.

Monseiur

Amazing since the Utes were listed as 3 point favorites. Good call

I too wish the cougars could beat Washington.

• Utes4Ever
    Sept. 3, 2010 2:40 p.m.

Man ... I hate calling out Ute fans like Y Ask Y, but after all the good things most BYU fans have had to say on this article, give it a rest and take some happy pills or something.

• dhsalum
    Sept. 3, 2010 2:34 p.m.

What happened to Utah's offense in the 2nd half? I dont know if they were a little scared or just thought the rest of the game would be easy?

• Monsieur le prof
    Sept. 3, 2010 2:17 p.m.

Check out my blog from yesterday: Utah by 3! Am I good or what? Congrats to the other Cougs for classy remarks after the Ute win. Keep it up!

Now, go Cougs! Crush Washington! (BYU by 3)

• Blog Patrol
    Sept. 3, 2010 2:04 p.m.

Big_Ben,

Ha Ha the laugh's on me. I missed the troll-like smell.

• BYUtah Fan
    Sept. 3, 2010 1:49 p.m.

It was ugly, but a win is a Wynn. Clean up the turnovers and it would have been a rout. Looks like a great year for the Utes.

• --BYUTAH--
    Sept. 3, 2010 1:34 p.m.

Gotta be honest. As a BYU fan I was very impressed with the Ute Defense. They play great together and gave Pitt a very tough game. There were a couple miscues that resulted in PITT scores, but I expect this to be one of the best defenses ever at Utah. However, I was unimpressed with Wynn, He showed again that he is mediocre under pressure, (overthrowing open receivers, making bad passes when blitzed, throwing into coverage) But he did a great job getting the ball to his play makers and exposing Pitts weakness on defense. I still think Cain is the better QB, but oh well. Utah will definitely be a force to contend with this season. Now lets see how BYU does Saturday!

Go Cougs!
    and.... GO UTES!

• Utes4Ever
    Sept. 3, 2010 1:28 p.m.

Y Ask Y -

Do you know how to read? Seriously! Where do you come up with this garbage?

• Utah Utes1
    Sept. 3, 2010 1:11 p.m.

Jonathan Eddy | 10:26 a.m. Sept. 3, 2010

"The stadium was electric. The fans were ecstatic. The game results were excellent. The experience was exhilarating! I love this time of year."

Sounds like you attended the game last night. I don't live in Utah so I attended via Versus. Several times the play callers paused and noted that the stadium was "rocking."

Versus also gave a lot of credit to the MUSS including commenting on and showing the 5 yard penalty signs the MUSS took credit for. What a huge way for students to make a contribution to their classmates on the field and just flat out enjoy the college football experience.

Atmosphere and energy...yep, I could even hear and sense it on the television.

Great game!!

• Buster
    Sept. 3, 2010 1:00 p.m.

Loved the game. Way to go Utes!!!

congratulations. The team showed the will to win, even when everything didn't go their way. That's what winners do...

• Big_Ben
    Sept. 3, 2010 12:53 p.m.

@ Blog patrol and Lane Myer

you obviously missed his endline, he was clearly making fun of BYU fans.

• Henry Drummond
    Sept. 3, 2010 12:52 p.m.

I think we got the best of all possible worlds here. First we came away with a win against the 15th ranked team in country. Second the 15th ranked team in the country exposed all the things that have to be worked on far better than an opening game against South-West Minnesota State College.

Let's hope its not quite this sporadic when we play Notre Dame, TCU, and BYU.

• Danocin
    Sept. 3, 2010 12:49 p.m.

Hahahahaha @ Menace Hahahahaha lets not even go there....... at least we have true fans there that watch the games...... not college students that talk about who they are dating at the time and they were excited to FINALLY kiss them. What a joke, I would take our 47,000 fans over your 65'000 traditionalists any day........ 65,000 pennies will always be less then 47,000 dollar bills hahahahaha

• Ibleedcrimson
    Sept. 3, 2010 12:46 p.m.

Your Average Ute-Hater Cougar "Fan"

Well you got one fact right, most Ute-haters are pretty average.

• Blog Patrol
    Sept. 3, 2010 12:38 p.m.

@MenaceToSociety

You are mistaken sir. I admit we will attempt to put a few more MUSS in for the BYU game - see you in November.

From: Utah Utes football: Home-and-home with Pitt worked out for Utes, By Dirk Facer, Deseret News

PACKED HOUSE: Thursday's attendance, a sellout that included a standing-room crowd, was 45,730 – the third-largest in stadium history. It ranks behind the BYU game in 2008 (46,488) and ahead of the TCU contest the same year (45,666). The largest crowd in Rice-Eccles Stadium history (46,768) attended the California game in 2003.

• Lane Myer
    Sept. 3, 2010 12:33 p.m.

MenaceToSociety

It was standing room only. You do not know what you are talking about.

• MenaceToSociety
    Sept. 3, 2010 12:21 p.m.

Another half-full Rice-Eccles Stadium. Utah can't fill the stadium until BYU comes to town.

Sincerely,
    Your Average Ute-Hater Cougar "Fan"

• IdaChick
    Sept. 3, 2010 12:21 p.m.

TAGZZ: You just totally "Manned Up". Nice job! :)

• Go Big Blue!!!
    Sept. 3, 2010 11:45 a.m.

Another not pretty but got it done game. Good job Utes.

• jazzfanzz
    Sept. 3, 2010 11:36 a.m.

Great game Utes!

• Alaskan Ute
    Sept. 3, 2010 11:22 a.m.

Does anyone else think the BLUE Under-Armour stretch camo t-shirs look terrible underneath the uniforms? I know it's petty, but Blue? Bad Carma! No offense BYU fans, as most of you have shown real class today, but Blue should not be part of any Ute uniform. C'mon, with all the $ we get for uniforms, you can't get a red version?

Happy with the win. The two fumbles and the punt block were ugly, but the defense was huge. Give this win to the "D".

• Veritas Aequitas
    Sept. 3, 2010 11:06 a.m.

Y Ask Y | 9:52 a.m. Sept. 3, 2010
    "I can't believe all the anti-Ute comments coming from BYU fans!"
    ===

I'm sorry if you felt my comments were anti-Ute.

Ummm... I have noticed that many of the anti-Ute comments use words like class, great game, and congratulations. If you feel these to be negative, what wordd would you like us to use to show that we think the Utes representated the state well last night.
    ===

Man, sometime you are going to need to realize that many cougar fans give respect when it is due.

• duggity
    Sept. 3, 2010 11:01 a.m.

I have to say Wynn impressed me overall, especially in that he was playing the second half with a sprained throwing hand. Not easy to do and explains the errant throws and short passes on long yardage downs. The D-line played out of their minds. Was a little intense at the end but a great win overall.

• nothegame
    Sept. 3, 2010 11:01 a.m.

I loved the game muss u are the best.I think that utes d line is one of the best of all time. I am just glad that Pitt did not start to throw early in the game. I thought the lb's played well. Jordan Wynn,not sold on u yet.

• JIMMER
    Sept. 3, 2010 10:45 a.m.

I think Whittingham now knows where he needs to make improvements. The defense looked strong. The offense looked decent the first half, but once Wynn was knocked down, he didn't appear to have his confidence back and the 2nd half was tough. He would drop back and dance a lot with his feet. He needs to learn to take a hit and bounce back.

I can't wait to leave the mountain. How many times did they have the cameras pointing to the sidelines when the quarterback was behind the center calling his cadence. The comentators would continue to talk over the referees. MWC needs to fire their president over this TV deal.

It's time for the Cougars to dial it up on Saturday!

Congrats Utes!!

• Cali Coug
    Sept. 3, 2010 10:39 a.m.

Not bad for the first game of the season. We expect some mistakes and challenges to exposed during the first few games so it is really no big deal the game was a little sloppy. Overall the Yewtes looked impressive, really liked how well Jordan played and controlled the offense. Defense asa team played very well...would love to see how the coaches grade out each position. KW, are you willing to share? Hats off to the Yewtes and congratulations on a job well done.

• Jonathan Eddy
    Sept. 3, 2010 10:26 a.m.

Now, it's on to part two of my sports junket; Saturday at LES to watch the Cougars crush Washington.

• MJB
    Sept. 3, 2010 10:23 a.m.

Great job Utes. I was a little concerned during the game with all the miscues. It seemed to me that Wynn was throwing too many times while backpedalling making his passes reach the ground before having a chance to get to the receivers. I went to the U many years ago, but graduated from USU. I am first a cougar fan, but after that, I'm a fan of any team in Utah. It's good to see all the teams in Utah doing so well. Good luck to all this season. I'm glad that football season is finally here.

• Duh
    Sept. 3, 2010 10:11 a.m.

This BYU fan can't wait until November. Good win, Utah definitely is changing my thoughts about how good they can be. Hopefully Pitt doesn't end up like Oklahoma last year so that the win shows credibility. Good luck the rest of the season until we meet.

• John Wicks
    Sept. 3, 2010 10:08 a.m.

Kyle needs some dicipline on the team. As usual it has too many stupid penalties. They need to clean up their act. They were lucky to win last night with all those bonehead plays.

• TAGZZ
    Sept. 3, 2010 10:07 a.m.

My bad, I should have just called out the names that were making horrible comments about the Utes... TRUTH,BluCoug, and Chris B's Momma are the jealous ones... To all the BYU Fans that had good comments on the game "Thank You"

• JTP
    Sept. 3, 2010 10:05 a.m.

Some of you act like Kyle called the timeout AFTER the missed field goal attempt. Good grief. He did exactly the right thing in calling the timeout BEFORE the attempt.

Congratulations from another BYU/UTAH fan. I hope I don't irritate anyone further with my unwelcome kudos.

• Johnny Triumph
    Sept. 3, 2010 9:59 a.m.

Thriller? This was a close one to the end but I was more excited watching Hawaii v USC. Pitt and the U was a pretty boring game...until Whittingham blundered his way into overtime!

• Tarheel Ute
    Sept. 3, 2010 9:55 a.m.

@GoUtah

Tom in LA is the future bloggers, replacing BYU fans, in sometimes reasonable discussion but as ofthen trashing, minimizing, spinning Ute success (or failures). Considering Utah's recruiting in CA, California/PAC10/12 teams are not going to be happy with any Utah success on the field or recruiting Californa's talent.

@Tom in LA: Welcome; your comments seem a little out there - but expected. - Keep them coming.

• Fully Invited
    Sept. 3, 2010 9:55 a.m.

So a great win for Utah, but I just want to through something out there- was anyone utterly dumbfounded like I was when it was 3rd and long for the utes and they went with a SHOVELL PASS?? And not only that, the ball went to Asiata on 3rd and loooong. That's a speed scenerio, not a power scenario- not sure what the coaches were thinking. And it happened in the game twice!!!

• Y Ask Y
    Sept. 3, 2010 9:52 a.m.

I can't believe all the anti-Ute comments coming from BYU fans!

It just proves that the University of Utah is the one and only true Utah football program in the state! Otherwise, why so much opposition?

Great win, Utes!

• mr. ideas
    Sept. 3, 2010 9:51 a.m.

After that crushing hit in the first quarter, Dion Lewis just wanted to be back at his apartment with a big bowl of life cereal.

Nice “D” last night!

• BP
    Sept. 3, 2010 9:48 a.m.

Congrats to the Utes. Now...it is vital that both BYU and Utah hang one on TCU this year. It can be done...they're not as good as everyone thinks they are.

• Veritas Aequitas
    Sept. 3, 2010 9:36 a.m.

Aside from first game jitters shown by both teams, the Utes showed alot of class and sheer guts to win the game.

Way to take down Pitt!!!

• maddog
    Sept. 3, 2010 9:30 a.m.

Great Game, Utes have a ways to go, but they are on their way. As a Utes Lover, I am impressed with the class our BYU neighbors are showing this morning. I really hope that BYU can take it to the Huskies on Saturday. Lets keep in mind that as far as football goes in this state, a rising tide lifts all ships.

Go Utes & Cougers

• 42istheanswer
    Sept. 3, 2010 9:29 a.m.

Way to go Utes!!! Go Cougs on Saturday!

• Tarheel Ute
    Sept. 3, 2010 9:28 a.m.

As a Ute fan it would be easy to spin last night’s game for more than it was. It was a good, not great win. Periods of greatness and periods of ineptness and lack of discipline. The win helped a little to suppress Utah’s detractors. The MUSS and the larger Ute crowd now doubt bolstered the relatively young and improving Ute team. The field play is indicative of Ute recruiting; providing Whittingham again with talented, athletic wide receivers and defensive corners, constantly good, but not great quarterbacks, and smallish but aggressive line-backers.

An unassailable facts are the Utes beat the 15th ranked team, albeit on the home field. Jordan Wynn in his seventh career start completed 21 of 36 passes for 283 yards and three touchdowns. Utah’s defense; a bunch of new starters held Pittsburgh to 266 yards and Panther star RB Lewis to 75 yards. But too many self-inflicted wounds — another inopportune unsportsmanlike behavior call stalls a late Ute drive, allowing Pittsburg to tie the game.

A good start. The Utes understand the spotlight as they move on to the PAC12, but seem to understand there is the current season to with.

• GoUtah
    Sept. 3, 2010 9:25 a.m.

@Tom in CA

Your posts used to really bother me. Now, I understand much better that you really don't know what you're talking about.

• Cougars --Best Little Brothers
    Sept. 3, 2010 9:17 a.m.

A win is a "wynn".
    I will take an ugly win over a top-25 tean anytime.

• Mountanman
    Sept. 3, 2010 9:11 a.m.

Congratulations to Utah on a great win! I also want to say I am proud of the many BYU fans who chose to congratulate the Utes on this blog. Shows class, sportsmanship and maturity;values sports are supposed to teach! Again, congratulations to the Utes, you deserved this victory.

• IdaChick
    Sept. 3, 2010 9:08 a.m.

TAGZZ: I'm a Ute grad, never been a fan of BYU (read any of my comments), but lay off of the folks who are being positive about the win. Good grief. Just as some of the BYU fans can have stupid remarks, your remarks were utterly ridiculous. And to use "Zoobies"? Are you still in high school? Seriously. Class up, dude.

• dakuwaqa
    Sept. 3, 2010 9:04 a.m.

Leave it to TAGZZ to spoil an otherwise congratulatory effort on behalf of most BYU fans for Utah.

Great run defense against Pitt. Pitt's OC should be looking for a new job...they never went to their two big recievers till late in the game. Either way, great win against the big Least!

• MacNasty
    Sept. 3, 2010 9:02 a.m.

Could not see the game because of the lousy TV deal the MWC has.

However, I followed it using ESPN updates. After the Utes wond the game, the boys on ESPN Sportscenter said that Pitt should have won the game.

That infuriated me. East coast bias, pure and simple. I checked out the box score. Utah should have beat Pitt going away, but nevertheless, the better team (Utah) won.

I am not a Ute fan, but I am happy they sent Pitt packing.

• Jute19
    Sept. 3, 2010 8:54 a.m.

I'm all about the rivalry. I appreciate the cougar fans but it's hard to seperate the Ute haters and the cougar fans. I really don't have any reason to cheer for BYU anymore. I mean were not going to be in the same conference anymore so what's the point? I don't hate the cougars, my wife graduated from the Y. I just like to see them cry and whine. Go Utes and for you true cougar fans I hope BYU beats the huskies. But for you haters I hope they lose big.

• Alex 1
    Sept. 3, 2010 8:54 a.m.

Congratulations, Utes, from this blue-blooded, frothing-at-the-mouth Cougar! You played a great game. Sure, it was tight at the end, but you pulled it off in style. If you continue to play like you did last night in the PAC 12, then I think you will do just fine.

• TheHailstorm
    Sept. 3, 2010 8:50 a.m.

ooooppps make that
    " when Pitt was in the red zone"..
    My bad

• Big_Ben
    Sept. 3, 2010 8:48 a.m.

Great job utes! The good thing is, the mistakes we made can be corrected. Too many penalties, too many turnovers, but hey, its opening night, on national TV. You always take a win. I agree with BYU_Greg, gotta cheer for Pitt from here on out.

• TheHailstorm
    Sept. 3, 2010 8:48 a.m.

This time last year I would never have believed that 2010 would be the swan song years for the Utes and Cougars, bidding a not so fond adieu to the MWC.
    I could never have considered so many fans throwing down the gauntlet of petty bickering and collectively root for the movers and shakers of college football in Utah. Utah the movers and BYU the shakers.Hopefully we can start sending positive kudos or condolences to the fans of both the red and the blue.
    As for my Alma Mama, I thought the Ute defense played very well when Pitt was in the end zone.
    I remember that against that Ingram and Coffee combined for less than a hundred yards. Great D.
    I will say that Shanahan was schooling Taplin-Ross, that corner needs a fixin.

All in all very favorable for the Utes.
    In today's Pittsburg post - Gazette one reader complained of the broadcasters overselling Utah.
    Now that's good press !
    Good Luck Cougars - Take Washington to the woodshed.
    Congratulations Utah !
    I love ya mannn...

• TAGZZ
    Sept. 3, 2010 8:16 a.m.

Why are the Zoobies on here commenting...? Our defense held Lewis to 75 yards rushing... He would have run all over yBUs defense... Just jealous ignorant zoobs... We will celebrate this week with a win while you guys get slaughtered at home, Mark My Words!!

• Nostradamus
    Sept. 3, 2010 8:14 a.m.

Thanks to the classy BYU fans (which appear to be most) - you others...well, you're likely in your 8th grade class right now!

Pitt was OK - hard to tell because they made plenty of mistakes too - but Lewis is a very good running back. Ute defense remains strong year in and year out.

Utah can be great this year - defense was very solid (a couple missed assignments), but fix those...stop dropping the football and giving Pitt short fields and tune up special teams...this could be a terrific squad.

Jordan Wynn definitely has composure - but needs to stop throwing as he is pedalling backwards. He has talent and early on made some great decisions.

Utah Top 20 - they looked good. Pitt to 20...probably not anymore!

• BYU_Greg
    Sept. 3, 2010 8:03 a.m.

So is Utah that good, or Pitt that bad? Their "Heisman Candidates" looked like "High school Candidates." So again, did Utah shut the down and make them look bad, or are they just bad?

Reminds me of when BYU beat Washington in 2008 and it was a big controversy. But then Washington goes on to be 0-12, so it was a meaningless win in the Nation's eyes.

Utah had better become Pitt's #1 fan from here on out and hope they don't pull a 2008 Washington season :)

Good win. Well done.

• CopperGuy
    Sept. 3, 2010 8:00 a.m.

From an Arizona Cougar, congratulations to the Utah Utes. It's great when Rocky Mountain teams beat Eastern powers.

• Ernest T. Bass
    Sept. 3, 2010 7:58 a.m.

well when we beet Piit they were the #third best team in the nation and we were the #1 team.

• GoodGuyGary
    Sept. 3, 2010 7:56 a.m.

Good for Utah to beat a ranked team. Good to see you guys are on 18 home game winning streak. Keep doing it since BYU will need to break that in November.

• financenco
    Sept. 3, 2010 7:48 a.m.

I didn't know they were playing. Was anyone watching?

• Veracity
    Sept. 3, 2010 7:36 a.m.

I can not believe it, I was cheering like crazy, just like I do when the Coug's play, for Utah...Way to go, but not without scaring the BeeGee's out of me...Congrats.

• RobSing
    Sept. 3, 2010 7:30 a.m.

vegas coug, "hats of the the utes amazing luck." are you serious? Perhaps we won because the team is living right on and off the field! Ha ha!! I hope YBU gets crushed this weekend!

• Tom in CA
    Sept. 3, 2010 7:29 a.m.

The Laurel & Hardy Bowl!!! What a joke.

Bingham High JV could have beat either team last night.

Fortunately for utah - they played a team more miserable than them.

Hey - the ending of regulation was a real thriller. The best part was Whittingham calling time out as the Pitt field goal hooked left. Great call Coach.

• jazzbball
    Sept. 3, 2010 7:26 a.m.

Good win Utes, from this BYU fan. Utes D looks pretty sharp this year.

Congrats.

• YtxPat
    Sept. 3, 2010 7:20 a.m.

Great win for the Utes! It was fun to watch. Maybe the Utes can repeat what BYU did in 1984, beating a ranked Pitt first on its way to an undefeated season and a national championship.

• thebigsamoan
    Sept. 3, 2010 7:16 a.m.

Wow, what a great way to start the season for the Utes! I was truly besides myself when I saw the final score on the news. I hated not being able to watch the game but I am thrilled and elated nonetheless with the result. Now let's hope th Cougs can go out and do likewise against Washington. I'm rooting for both the Utes and the Cougars to do exceptionally well on this their final season on the MWC. Go Cougs and Utes!!! You truly Utah's best!!!

• dday
    Sept. 3, 2010 7:15 a.m.

Congrats Utes, from a huge Y fan, you guys were by far the better team. Pitt was overrated again and the Utes were underrated again. I guess things never change. Keep it up!

• satch
    Sept. 3, 2010 7:10 a.m.

As a BYU fan I was IMPRESSED with Utah. The UTE QB is way underrated, and his WR played out of their heads. Lastly, Kyle knows Defense. They took out Pitt's All-American phenom RB. NOT EASY TO DO. The Ute intensity and team speed were excellent.

Matt Asiata rocked! Tough to bring down. I liked him better than Eddie Wide.

Congrats. I just wish they wouldn't have made it that close in the end.

• nottyou
    Sept. 3, 2010 6:57 a.m.

Those were not Top 25 football teams competing tonight. Potential...unrealized.

• DC
    Sept. 3, 2010 6:47 a.m.

To Jute 19, you're the reason Max Hall keeps getting vindicated. Relax and bask in a great win by the Utes. A little good feelings toward the "team down south" can't hurt.

• IdaChick
    Sept. 3, 2010 6:40 a.m.

IdahoCoug: You just can't handle living in Idaho and having BSU blow up and become a bigger power house than BYU. So sad! GO UTAH! That was awesome!! :)

• Anti Bush-Obama
    Sept. 3, 2010 6:33 a.m.

For all of you that think Pitt is lousy, come back when they are 11-1. Utah will not lose a game until maybe TCU. Remember how sloppy they played against michigan? Last time they played and beat a ranked team in the opener, they went undefeated. This team will get better as the season progresses. Keep dreaming if you think Utah is going to lose to a pushover like Notre Dame or Iowa. Not going to happen.

• Pipes
    Sept. 3, 2010 6:13 a.m.

Well played Utah!

• Old Scarecrow
    Sept. 3, 2010 5:30 a.m.

Nice job, Utes and Coach W, and the best game on TV last night. Wonder if the Coach will ever try to ice a kicker twice again? Very entertaining. Sure glad football is here to put an end to all the bickering. -- And I'm a BYU fan too. Sorry haters.

• lost in DC
    Sept. 3, 2010 5:28 a.m.

Thanks for all the kind comments from BYU supporters. Too bad you are being disgraced by classless zoobies such as TRUTH, LIVE HARD, BluCoug, Chris B's Momma, and Stenar.

Jute19, show a little class yourself.

• wwookie
    Sept. 3, 2010 4:28 a.m.

Congrats team!

Great game despite all the mistakes. The defense looks extremely strong. The offense only needs to clean up the mistakes.

Without the mistakes, utah wins easily by 3 TDs (Pitt's a top 15 team!)

Pitt looked good, but were overpowered by the Utes.

Every other team in the MWC was watching this game and is now a little afraid of the date when they have to play a team that is improved over last year.

Bring on the Rebels, and...

Go Utes!

• VegasCoug
    Sept. 3, 2010 1:25 a.m.

That was a really ugly game. Hats off to the Utes run defense (although since Pitt had zero passing threat through most of the game all Sitake had to do was tell his defense to pin their ears back and go after Lewis with 8 in the box).

And hats off to the Utes amazing luck. This game reminded me of 2008 TCU. Teams just love choking and handing the Utes games. Pitt had the ball at the 13 yard line with :38 left and 2 timeouts and couldn't punch it in for the win... what a choke job. No way Pitt is the 15th best team in the country. The Big (L)east is horrible.

• AltabirdG
    Sept. 3, 2010 1:09 a.m.

Happy with the win, but really really sloppy. This game should have been a blowout. The 3 turnovers, blocked punt, and 100 penalty yards let Pittsburgh back in this one. The good news is that Utah won despite the mistakes. Clean up the act and it could be a great season.

To the classy BYU fans: Thanks for your support, we know our history. Here's hoping BYU beats Washington Saturday and adds to our state's continuing tradition of being a graveyard for overrated teams, no matter what conference they're from.

• brettski
    Sept. 3, 2010 1:04 a.m.

Good job Utah! EXCITING! Clean up the miscues and this could be a special team.

• donburi
    Sept. 3, 2010 12:55 a.m.

@Live Hard

I thought you were just a BYU hater. But I see now that you are an equal opportunity hater of all. Is your only purpose in life to find something to hate daily? I feel sorry for you.

Try being positive - you'll like it.

• MUSSing with U
    Sept. 3, 2010 12:54 a.m.

Congratulations Utes.

Wynn had decent numbers and looked good at times; not bad for a first game:

21/36, 283 yds, 3 TD, 1 int,
    146.31 passing efficiency rating

• Jazzman72
    Sept. 3, 2010 12:49 a.m.

Nice win Utes! I'm hoping you'll be undefeated for our final match up as conference rivals. Go cougars on Saturday. I hope Heaps propels them to a win.

• Uteology
    Sept. 3, 2010 12:49 a.m.

Cougar Claws | 11:27 p.m. Sept. 2, 2010

---------

Utah 21
    Bama 0
    4:04 1 Qtr

I know its nothing like dominating 14-13 OU in Jerrys Dome but Alabama was spanked.

Utah's defense dominated today, but our special teams and offense let Pitt off the hook.

Good luck against Washington.

I think if you go 3-1 you're looking at a 9-3 season.

• pittsburgh Ute
    Sept. 3, 2010 12:38 a.m.

What a fun game. Start to finish, that was just enjoyable to watch. I sat right by the pitt fans, no fighting, no mystical beer throwing by anyone. I was glad to see the tight run D, holding Heisman hopeful Dion Lewis to a career low aint to bad. And the offense looks good. We need to work on special teams and some silly mistakes and this can be a great team. Fun game, we will take the win!
    Go Utes!!

• Jute19
    Sept. 3, 2010 12:37 a.m.

Utes!!! I'm kinda sick of all these cougar fans posting on Ute blogs. Thanks but no thanks. I hope BYU loses big. Go huskies.

• Dog_ma
    Sept. 3, 2010 12:18 a.m.

Nail biter that shouldn't be, but whether Pitt is a "real #15" or not, the national media will remember them as such.

Let's hope they go on to win a bunch of games and the Utes don't get too complacent playing the upcoming cupcakes on our schedule.

Good first game; we've got time to correct the weaknesses.

And huge kudos to all the kind Cougar fans!! Class! And good luck with your game on Saturday. Lets all go out (of the MWC) with a bang!

• GoUtah
    Sept. 3, 2010 12:10 a.m.

Just getting home from the game. Not the prettiest win, but a lot of good takeaways! Utah showed a lot of character tonight in addition to a tremendous defensive effort. Special teams needs to work on being "more special." Good start. Way to go, Utah!

• stonewall
    Sept. 3, 2010 12:09 a.m.

Have to admit, Utah looked GREAT tonight. Only weakness I saw is Wynn needs to not throw while back-pedaling every time there's a blitz. That and the special teams gaffes. But both of those will get fixed in time. After seeing the game tonight, I'm not so sure TCU is a sure thing to win the conference, especially coming to RES. That crowd was amazing tonight. I'm very impressed by Utah after tonight's game. They outplayed Pitt by a far wider margin than the scoreboard showed. They ran the ball well, threw the ball well, and Pitt didn't run or throw the ball well themselves other than what looked like one blown coverage. But I'll give Burton a pass on that one if it was his fault, because he was a shut-down corner the rest of the night.

So congrats Utes and Ute fans from another Cougar fan. Very impressed with the team after tonight

• Stenar
    Sept. 3, 2010 12:04 a.m.

#15, huh? I've seen Wyoming play better than Pitt did tonight.

• fresnogirl
    Sept. 2, 2010 11:57 p.m.

Congratulations to Kyle and the Utes. Good job!

• rvalens2
    Sept. 2, 2010 11:40 p.m.

It's GREAT to hear all the nice comments from BYU fans.

Now Cougars ... go win your game on Saturday and so we can return the favor!

• Juice
    Sept. 2, 2010 11:29 p.m.

Chris B's Momma,

Leave it to you to find fault in Utah for beating the 15th ranked team on national television. Leave it to you to find fault with the elite Conference of Champions. We all know you are disgruntled, angry, bitter and jealous, but you are just going to have to let it go at some point for your own physical and mental health. It's not good to have all of that negativity bottled up. Somethings gonna give.

• Cougar Claws
    Sept. 2, 2010 11:27 p.m.

I'll admit I thought Utah would loose before the game, but as the game progressed and I kept watching it, it was apparent that Utah was the better team from start to finish. I'm not sure I could have said that Utah was the better team in the Alabama win, but it was very clear tongiht that the Utes dominated. The Utah offense totally earned my respect. Congratulations guys, great win tonight!

• Old Gregg
    Sept. 2, 2010 11:17 p.m.

Nice job Joe Phillips! Just like I called it!

• PAC
    Sept. 2, 2010 11:15 p.m.

Way to go UTAH

• Dave S
    Sept. 2, 2010 11:12 p.m.

Kudo's to the Defense. They held Pitt to 60 total yards in the second and third quarters. If we can eliminate our mistakes on offense this has the making of another very special year by the UTES!!

• Apocolypse Cow
    Sept. 2, 2010 11:11 p.m.

I predict the Utes will beat Pitt 27 to 24 in overtinme.

• IdahoCougarFan
    Sept. 2, 2010 11:11 p.m.

What a great way to begin the season! Congrats on your first win and best of luck the rest of the season. And the next time you meet BSU I would love to see you humiliate and clobber them and their arrogant fans!!!!

• WestCoast1
    Sept. 2, 2010 11:09 p.m.

Great game, Utes!! Very exciting ending, too. It was a typical sloppy first game, but one heck of an effort against the best team from the Big East, and #15 team in the country. Well done!

P.S. To the poster called "Truth"---Give it a break for one night, all right?

• usa2010
    Sept. 2, 2010 11:02 p.m.

Thank you to all the BYU fans for being good sports. Its so much more enjoyable to open up columns and read things like what "most" people are posting, that the usual. Good Luck on Saturday, Riley will start, but Heaps will end it.

• DiamondDad
    Sept. 2, 2010 11:02 p.m.

With Utah's PAC 12 and BYU's Independence, both teams have pressure this year to prove their new found worth. Utah more than held serve against Pitt tonight. Nice (but ugly) win Utes!! Pressure is now on BYU. If you can't beat a mediocre PAC 12 Washington (at LES), you are seriously in trouble and all you ZOOBIES lose all credibility on the comment boards!

• Andrew J. Marksen
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:59 p.m.

Ugly ugly ugly. Defense needs work. Offense looks good.

• Wayne Rout
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:58 p.m.

This Cougar pulled for the Utes the whole game, but I was certainly disappointed that they did not win by about 35-10. Instead, luck prevailed and they got the victory. They look very beatable.

• Wiley Old School
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:57 p.m.

The huge silver lining on this close win was the performance of the defense! Defense is where Utah has had to replace the most players and they stepped up!

There's potential for a solid season if the offense can shake off the rust over the next couple of games and if the defense continues its amazing progress.

• RealityCheck
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:53 p.m.

It wasn't clean but there's nothing wrong with beating a ranked team to start off the year. Go Utes!

• Joe Schmoe
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:52 p.m.

Let's try running the ball right up the middle.

See, I could be Pitt's offensive coordinator.

• Chris B's momma
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:52 p.m.

Sloppy error filled game by both teams! If it hadn't been close, it would have been worth turning to sportscenter, which is shown nationally unlike the fishing channel covering this game.

Is this what we can come to expect from bcs conferences?

No overtime without bonehead call by Whit.

Anyone else notice that Chris's predictions are always wrong. Utes by 24. NOT so much!

• BYUTE10
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:51 p.m.

Congratulations Utes! Great to see the overtime victory. I will be excited to see BYU play this Saturday as well. It is great to have both programs enjoying so much success at once as I spent two years at the Y and then transferred and graduated from the U. Hopefully they will both do great things this year before they bolt for the big time next year. Congrats again Utes. And Y fans, enjoy having your great quaterbacks back on the weekend. Beat Washington!

• Jarobusa
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:46 p.m.

Good victory for the Utes. Even with the mistakes you beat the #15 team in the country.

Go BYU, beat the dogs.

• Cougar Cindy
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:44 p.m.

Way to go, UTES! A tough first game and you did it!

Can't wait for Saturday . . . we're hoping for the best!

• BluCoug
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:40 p.m.

Be thankful Pitt played for the tie not the win in the final 40 seconds. Pitt should have watched a replay of Beck to Harline or Hall to George to see how it's done. It is obvious utah WILL lose some games this year especially on the road.

• duckhouse
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:35 p.m.

Great going Utes from a true blue fan. I think Whit. just about out-coached in this one. I think He should have kicked on 3rd down at the end, poor decision but it turned out ok.....

• sammyg
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:34 p.m.

Wow, I left the broadcast for a while in the 4th qtr and see that Pitt tied it???? Well a win is a win!

Glad to see this last season of the lousy MTN coverage. Glad I didn't get Direct TV this season, next year I won't need it or Comcast!!!!

Congrats Utes from a BYU fan!

• Jimmy James
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:33 p.m.

GREAT WIN UTES!

All we need to do now is clean up our play and we'll be a pretty darn good team. But regardless of turnovers / penalties, I'm proud to be a Ute tonight. Well done.

• LuVePacifica
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:31 p.m.

The Utah utes won!!!!!!! :)
    My sister in law loss her bet next lil sis..

• Chris B
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:30 p.m.

SWEEET!!!

GO UTES!!!

What a way to start the seaon

• Oregonian
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:24 p.m.

Great D Utah. Offense seemed to run all over Pitt but couldn't finish it off. Whittingham does a great job of preparing. Wynn will only get better. From a BYU fan I was hoping Pitt would win since the U is in the PAC10 now. Good showing and a great way to start season

• donburi
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:23 p.m.

Good job Utes. I hope the Cougs do as well on Saturday.

• Utah Utes1
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:22 p.m.

1st class comments on this board by our neighbors. Thanks for stopping by!

Entertaining game and a great win for the Utah program.

Game ball goes to the MUSS...you guys are phenomenal!! How do I get a membership??

Good luck to the Cougars on Saturday!!!!!

• JayDee
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:20 p.m.

Congratulations Utes!

A win, is a win no matter how you escape with it.
    The ride gets much easier the next few games. Enjoy.

Pac 11 up one on the Big Least

(BTW–Nice to see Kyle has perfected the timeout schtick from Mentor Meyer.)

Good Luck with UNLV. No worries; Frank the Tank is out of eligibility.

• Dig Dug
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:19 p.m.

Well, Utah strung that one along for as long as possible; they just didn't seem to want to close the deal!

Pitt looked a little shaken but the Utes agression, but they put up a nice fight at the end. Wynn looked okay, a couple of bonehead passes, but as a sophomore, not a bad opening game against a ranked team.

Let's clean it up a bit Utes. A 3 TO with multiple blown opportunities might cut it in the Big Easy, but that won't win the MWC!

GO UTES... and... I have to say I'm pulling for the cougs against WU. I want this to be a banner year for the MWC to show the nation (again) we don't just play with the big boys... we own the big boys!

• DC
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:16 p.m.

As a BYU fan, my hat goes off to the Utes. You guys know how to win at home and keep it exciting. You'll have a great season this year. Beat TCU.

• Fully Invited
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:15 p.m.

Wow! What a game! But I'm not happy WHY it was a close game- Shaky fumbling twice is unacceptable. And Wynn overthrew his receivers Waaaay too much. Oh well, though- I'll take it! Go Utes!!!

• bodgerdlue
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:15 p.m.

Good job Utes! Kind of scary to let them back in it late, but for the first game against a highly ranked opponent you can't ask for any more. The great thing about a Whittingham coached team is that they'll learn from the mistakes made tonight.

Can't wait to see what the rest of the season brings!

• Dig Dug
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:13 p.m.

Man! Talk about almost blowing it. Oh well, beating a ranked team to start off the year can't be a bad thing! (At least we're grumbling about a win instead of a loss).

Overall, the offense looked like it could be very explosive, but they had a ton of mistakes. 3 TO's is too many, especially when 2 of them basically cost us a 14 point turn around. This game should have been wrapped up by early 4th. Again though, I am hopeful for this team as Pitt certainly looked like they had some good talent on that team. I'm surprised we held them up on O as much as we did, nice job defense!

I'd like to see more explosive action from the run game. Wynn will calm down too. We have to remember he is just a sophomore; kid's looking pretty good and I think he's got a good head overall. Nice throws tonight too.

GO UTES! I'm glad we stuck it to the Big Easy again. Pitt = 0-2 against the UTES!

• Tommy2Shoes
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:12 p.m.

Great interception on a poorly executed throw. A win is a win. Congrats FUN for tying BYU on home victory. Sloppy game on both sides. Lots of work for practice.

• TRUTH
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:09 p.m.

Wow....Talk about a SHAKY start for the YEWTS Football season!

Reminds me of when TCU mopped Utah up and down the field in 2008 only to lose in the 4th Qtr....Now Utah knows how TCU felt!

Utah outplayed Pitt the whole game.....this should have never been this close...Wynn is no winner, and would be lucky to get any reps at BYU!

Yewts are Rice Bowling this year!

• Utah Valley Guy
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:07 p.m.

Nice game, Utah! Way to uphold the state's good name!

- A Cougar Fan

• Captain L
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:06 p.m.

Congrats to the Utes, good win, especially overcoming the turnovers and mistakes. Good first game with though.
    I hope the Utes are undefeated when they play the Cougars.

• Alpine Coug
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:04 p.m.

Way to go Utes!! A great win over a BCS team. Great way to start your final year in the MWC. We are proud of you and hope you run the table until BYU comes to town in November. Kudos to Utah.

• UtahRoper
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:02 p.m.

Huge BYU fan here, giving kudos to the Utes. Nice job! I was actually going for PITT, since I hate the PAC 10 and Utah is by all rights now a PAC team, but ya did good! Way to go. Hope ya have a great season, until the end! Again, nice win!

• maidenwings
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:02 p.m.

Have I spoke to soon,Congradulation Utah Utes!!!!!!

• USportsFan
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:00 p.m.

it was a close game but they win in the end 27-24

• Observation-ist
    Sept. 2, 2010 9:59 p.m.

From a life-long BYU fan ... CONGRATULATIONS Utah. I'm happy you won. Keep it up. I hope two excellent teams can meet for one final late-November game. I've always preferred BYU to beat an 10-0 rather than an 3-8 Utah Team. Keep it up.

BTW, Please put a good old-fashioned butt-kicking on TCU. I'm really sick of their whining and arrogance. Go Cougs!

• NevadaCoug
    Sept. 2, 2010 9:57 p.m.

Nice job Utes. Should have had it in the bag a long time ago, but you managed to win it in overtime. In the end, the win is the only thing that matters. And hopefully Shaky won't drop so many balls going forward...at least until that game at the end of November.

• PACSCHMACK
    Sept. 2, 2010 9:56 p.m.

Y fan here. Way to pull it out Utes. Congrats. Last year we heard how over rated Oklahoma was. Surely the Utes will agree that Pitt is no 15 starting this year.

AGAIN though, Congrats. Way to gut it out in spite of normal 1st game gaffes.

• NevadaCoug
    Sept. 2, 2010 9:49 p.m.

"Might as well go home now pitt. Utes by 24! "

Oops.

Kyle called one time out too many. Utes should have won this game already. Instead, they are going to overtime. Utes have been pretty good over the years in overtime situations (other than a certain game last season), so have to be confident they can pull it out. Maybe.

• maidenwings
    Sept. 2, 2010 9:45 p.m.

Just a few more Yards to to Goooooo

• Chris B
    Sept. 2, 2010 8:17 p.m.

Might as well go home now pitt. Utes by 24!

• Striker
    Sept. 2, 2010 7:15 p.m.

Pitt up 7 -0 on Utahs lazy fumbles!

• Brigham's Brother
    Sept. 2, 2010 6:15 p.m.

FINALLY....the start of college football. BRING IT!!!