BYU football quarterback sneak: BYU passers return to Provo to raise money for endowment

• THEeyepatch
    Sept. 3, 2010 11:04 p.m.

I think this is great for BYU to honor their past QB's. BYU has put some great QB talent on the college gridiron. All teams should honor the great players that made their teams at one point in history.... great. Maybe not all the names are household, but you can never forget the old school players that played for the love, showing more heart than any player today. This passion should never be ignored, or denied, but always remembered.

• Andy Tomasso
    Sept. 3, 2010 7:59 a.m.

Yeah I've heard of Muhamad Ali and Babe Ruth, and even Lance Armstrong in fact he's still in the news. Larry Wilson not so much. He entered the hall of fame before I was born. Anyone with basic football knowledge born in 1950 knows who he is.

• Mormon in Michigan
    Sept. 2, 2010 11:22 p.m.

Andy Tomasso,

As a BYU Fan I am ashamed that you admit you have never heard of Larry Wilson. According to ESPN, Sporting News and every other sports organization in the world, Larry is arguably one of the best football players to EVER play in the NFL. Any person with a basic knowledge of football knows who Larry Wilson is.

Have you ever heard of Muhamad Ali or Babe Ruth or Lance Armstrong?

• fresnogirl
    Sept. 2, 2010 7:49 p.m.

I think this article talks about a great idea. First of all, I remember reading about the endowment scholarships back during the Crowton years. Stanford has all of their sports endowed and so never has to spend a dime on any scholarships. With that kind of dough year in and year out, BYU could put in a better ventilation system in the Smith Fieldhouse. That track is stinky! (The stench of our forefathers). Plus I love the idea of those who have gone before paving the way for those who will follow. What a terrific idea!

• fresnogirl
    Sept. 2, 2010 7:42 p.m.

Explain to me why "zoob" is supposed to be an insult. What are you? From the 1950's?! Thanks for the laugh, Grandpa.

I'd tell you to enjoy the game tonight, but we all know you will be parked in front of your computer making silly comments on BYU posts!

• Andy Tomasso
    Sept. 2, 2010 6:27 p.m.

Hahaha, thanks Otis, dropping names that NOBODY has heard of, unless you cheer for the team. eric weddle? Alex Smith? you forgot Brian Johnson.

• JayDee
    Sept. 2, 2010 5:24 p.m.

Ok, I thought another response to Hedgie about my first post was appropriate:
    (This one is in simple words and in a voice to which he might relate)

Analysis #2

Paragraphs 1 & 2: "Why are these U bugs always on my Y windshield?"
    Paragraph 3: I'm better than U. I went to college, on scholarship, and graduated.
    Paragraph 4: Tradition, spirit, and honor. (Google it!)
    Paragraph 5: When is kickoff for the Utes?

Ouch! I threw out my back stooping down so low.

• BluCoug
    Sept. 2, 2010 5:15 p.m.

@ Otis Spurlock

How many utes sport a super bowl ring, especially a former ute QB?

• BYU, Now Serving Humble Pie
    Sept. 2, 2010 5:01 p.m.

Leave it to byu fans to spend most of their time on a byu article writing about Utah Fans. Don't you have a game to get ready for?

• tcom2011
    Sept. 2, 2010 4:56 p.m.

Seriously! Most of us BYU fans actually rout for the Utes except when we are playing them. As an athlete that competed for BYU I still cheered for Utah even when they had, hands down, the rudest fans out there. I never blamed their coaches or athletes just their fans that are so caught up with BYU that they can not even read their own universities articles.

Oh and please refrain from calling me self righteous etc etc, you have never seen me bash your team, just give them respect - in fact I hope they win tonight!

Please I have read so many of your comments, please drop it, go back to Utah's articles and cheer on your team! Go Cougars!!! Go Utes!!!

• ogmson
    Sept. 2, 2010 4:45 p.m.

Let me help here. Hedgehog is still living in his mothers basement apartment...rent free although she has asked the dropout to pay something towards the weekly cleaning and food bills. He has no desire to get off the free couch to go to the game, nor does he have the money to buy a ticket. He will catch the bus to the stadium, dress up like a chicken hawk who acts like an Indian, yell profanities at the Pitt fans who show up and then go home and tell everyone what a great time he had at the game.

He also has no clue who John Lemming was, so he mis-uses his name in a very old attempt at allegory. The only regurgitation of anything is his dismal attempts to post something of worth. He never posts on topic, because generally he doesn't comprehend what is written despite the fact that papers are written to accomadate an 8th grade education. He can't name five Ute QB's to even participate in the conversation nor does he have the ability to tell you the names and numbers of five current players.

But he can talk trash.

• worf
    Sept. 2, 2010 4:41 p.m.

The utes will be fed from the labors of other teams. You know! Southern Cal, Cal, UCLA, Washington, Stanford etc. Do you honestly think the utes can match them with revenue? It'll be just like the MWC & WAC where they fed off of BYU for decades. Utah grew and developed because of BYU. Look at their coaches, game plans, and Hawaiian recruiting. Much of their revenue came from BYU, and you continue the insults. WOW!

• Desert Coug
    Sept. 2, 2010 4:38 p.m.

@ Hedgy Wedgy -

Your constant comments on EVERY article on BYU caused me to wonder if you paid attention to Utah articles. When I looked @ those articles, sure enough you have commented on almost every article there also....

How long 'till your unemployment runs out?

• JayDee
    Sept. 2, 2010 4:35 p.m.

Hedgie....if I may "analyze" my own post (not sure it's an email.....):

1st Paragraph: Simple observation and fact (supported by your multiple posts).

2nd Paragraph: You're stating my graduating from BYU is a personal achievement? Thanks. The rest is simply your inference, wrong or right, about the morally superior life. (Not sure where you get that assumption).

3rd & 4th Paragraphs: The endowment of scholarships represents all three items (Tradition, Spirit, and Honor). Sorry you have a problem with those admirable concepts. Finally, because I am a fan, and not a hater, I do cheer on MY team rather than denigrate other teams. Therefore, I do hope BYU beats Washington.

When is kickoff for the Utes?

• hedgehog
    Sept. 2, 2010 4:13 p.m.

Let's analys your email - very typical of ALL zoob posts.

First paragraph: Y'n about how many Utes are posting on tds articles

Second paragraph: Gloss about personal achievements or morally superior life.

Third Paragraph; Lemming like support and dogma regurgitation.

• JayDee
    Sept. 2, 2010 3:55 p.m.

As of the time of this post 7 of 17 comments by Utes (Y-haters) on a pro-BYU article. (Most of the other 10 posts inevitably mention the Y-haters–just like mine does out of necessity).

I thought Utah was playing a game this evening. Do you U fans have nothing better to do than troll BYU articles on game day? Get a life and get real!

As an alumnus of BYU, and a former scholarship recipient, I'm thrilled about these endowments. It's tremendous to have so much talent returning to the campus and to the field where they brought so much passion.

Tradition. Spirit. Honor.

Go Cougs...beat the Huskies!

• IDC
    Sept. 2, 2010 3:48 p.m.

With a nice fat football endowment, we can be more like........Duke?

• worf
    Sept. 2, 2010 3:36 p.m.

Members of the elite? Change your medications dude. The Utes are no Southern Cal, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, etc. You may change conference, but you're still utes. Low tier doormats. Mark My Words "The utes will never win the pac-10 champioship or even come close". Your comparisons should be to the Arizona schools or Washington State.

• Pickle Juice, The Key to a BCS
    Sept. 2, 2010 2:58 p.m.

Thank you Otis and Juice. It's nice to remember and keep in mind that the greatest football players played at Utah.

• Juice
    Sept. 2, 2010 1:23 p.m.

Some more facts about Larry Wilson. Wilson was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1978. He is also ranked at number 43 on The Sporting News' list of the 100 Greatest Football Players. He was ranked #9 on NFL Network's list of the "Top 10 Draft Steals" in NFL history.

Jerry Kramer, a guard for the Green Bay Packers and author of Instant Replay, called Wilson "the finest football player in the NFL." Kramer described Wilson's play during an October 30, 1967 game, "...he fired up their whole team ... (h)is enthusiasm was infectious."

Wilson is renowned for not only playing, but intercepting a pass, with casts on both hands due to broken wrists. On the September 18, 2006 edition of SportsCenter, Mike Ditka challenged Terrell Owens' toughness by not playing for 2—4 weeks due to a broken finger. He citied Wilson's interception with casts on both hands as proof of a tougher football player.

He truly is a legend and hands down the best football player to ever come out of the State of Utah.

• Juice
    Sept. 2, 2010 12:59 p.m.

Thanks for bringing up Larry Wilson. He was one of the best who ever played the game of football. Wilson was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1978. In 1999, he was ranked number 43 on The Sporting News' list of the 100 Greatest Football Players of all time. Wilson was also inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1978. In 1999, he was ranked number 43 on The Sporting News' list of the 100 Greatest Football Players. The Cardinals retired his uniform number 8. He was recently ranked #9 on NFL Network's list of the "Top 10 Draft Steals" in NFL history.

He was a great football player and did the Utes proud.

• SLCWatch
    Sept. 2, 2010 12:48 p.m.

Otis, you missed the "qb's" in the challenge. You need five of those. I can name five good ones but none in the College Football Hall of Fame.

• MAFU
    Sept. 2, 2010 12:37 p.m.

Wasn't there an article about this a few weeks ago? This is old hat for many Athletic Depts. I believe that Andre Miller, Steve Smith, Keith Van Horn, and Jordan Gross have setup endowed chairs in Athletics and also the Health Sciences at the U. Big Up's to the Coug QB's for giving back to your University.

• BP
    Sept. 2, 2010 11:50 a.m.

Not a bad idea, and I'd imagine there's no better time to start an endowment than a recession.

• Otis Spurlock
    Sept. 2, 2010 11:14 a.m.

How about Hall of Famer Larry Wilson, George Seifert, Manny Fernandez, Marv Bateman. Also, Norm Chow, Kevin Dyson, Luther Ellis, Jamal Anderson, Mike Anderson, Bob Trumpy, Roy Jefferson, Steve Smith of the Carolina Panthers, Jordan Gross also of the Carolina Panthers, Alex Smith and Eric Weddle. Just to name a few.

Utah has put almost TWICE as many players in the NFL as BYU has. This number will only increase as members of the elite Conference of Champions.

• Spoxjox
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:49 a.m.

@fresnogirl: You rock. I want to be like you when I grow up (except for the whole female thing).

• Bear6
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:39 a.m.

Hedgie, Im sure that the great QBs from the UofU would do the same if they had more than Scott Mitchell. Once again you have no idea what you are talking about.

• dallasfreeways
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:01 a.m.

hedgehog, what's the point of your post? I can absolutely guarantee you that if Utah had the quarterback history that BYU has, it would do the same thing.

Go Cougars! Go Utes (except when playing BYU)!

• giantfan
    Sept. 2, 2010 9:58 a.m.

hedgehog, ah, so now we get the goods on how old you really are. I'm sorry you're not old enough to remember any of these guys playing. Steve Young was awesome, McMahon as well. I don't think I enjoyed anything more than watching Detmer and his unstoppable offenses rack up the stats. And Sarkisian was as tough as they come. It's okay that your football maturation comes after these greats played but don't worry, you'll be a witness to future greats, like Heaps and others that are sure to come.

• fresnogirl
    Sept. 2, 2010 9:51 a.m.

We honor the past, because we can. :)

By the way, isn't tonight supposed to be a big game for your team? It's so sweet of you to spend all your free time worrying about mine.

• gub-ment-cheeze
    Sept. 2, 2010 9:44 a.m.

Man, could you even name 5 yewt qbs to honor at the same time? Outside of scott mitchell, who else is there?

• hedgehog
    Sept. 2, 2010 9:06 a.m.

Looks like the hot tub time machine is cranked up and almost ready to go. Ahhhn the days of unicorns and rainbows.

I hear Navy brings back Roger Staubach and other midshipmen greats of yore to remember what was….. many,many years ago.

• krobbs
    Sept. 2, 2010 9:02 a.m.

Detmer was just back in Provo last year or the year before when his jersey number was retired. It hasn't been that long.

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz
    Sept. 2, 2010 8:56 a.m.

Thanks for doing a lot of great research and writing a quality article. Good information to know and kudos to the quarterbacks for giving back to BYU.

As if playing in his first college game isn't enough, Heaps gets to play in front of BYU's all time greats.

• Howard S.
    Sept. 2, 2010 8:05 a.m.

Seems that all the fame and glory of BYU football was achieved in old-style helmets.