Sports

BYU accepts WCC invitation

Comments

• duggity
    Sept. 3, 2010 1:01 p.m.

Junkie. As usual you follow the mantra of "if the stats don't support your argument make up new ones." The Mountain West has way more Championships than you claim. Utah on its own has 21 National championships. UNLV has their Basketball title. New Mexico has at least one Skiing title. I won't bother researching the rest, since this is more than enough to show how full of it you are.

• Big Hapa
    Sept. 2, 2010 8:45 p.m.

Crazy fun stuff. You need to look no further then BYU for real drama, jaw dropping headlines that shake up the paradigm of college football in the state of Utah.

Even the Ute fans can't leave this Independant news alone. These confused fans are all over the Y blogs spouting off there lobsided jibberish.

Oh well you know you have hit it big when all your enemies gather round talking circles about your success.

"POLY" Cougar Nation

• worf
    Sept. 2, 2010 4:58 p.m.

When Utah gets into the pac-10, they will

A. Contribute a large portion of the television revenue.
    B. Start a rivalry with Southern Cal and actually win.
    C. Call themselves the hedgehogs instead of Utes.
    D. Be on national television every week.

• worf
    Sept. 2, 2010 3:44 p.m.

Hedge gets no invites. HAHA!

• dfoke05
    Sept. 2, 2010 12:32 p.m.

Yes, this I posted this on another comment thread but I think it is so funny that Utah escaped the MWC but did not escape the Las Vegas Bowl. I guarantee in their first 3 years being in the Pac10, they will be in the Las Vegas Bowl at least once as the 4th or 5th play Pac10 team.

You can run but you can't hide!

• Curtis
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:42 a.m.

Poor Utes, in the last decade they have had two undefeated seasons, two top 5 rankings, two BCS bowl wins, and 9 straight bowl wins....yet I would trade it all to play Notre Dame every year.

• Curtis
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:42 a.m.

• roger park
    Sept. 2, 2010 10:00 a.m.

Pac-10 who cares! The only thing Utah brings to that conference is womens gymnastics and apline skiing.They will be using money that USC and UCLA has made them. If Utah was such a dominate power in college sports why don't the go out on their own? Answer they don't have the quaility programs and national following that BYU has. Maybe the big U ought to put up or shut up. Lets see if you could evven come close to what BYU is doing!Oh that's right you won't have the Y's money for you to support your programs, you had to run and find another sugar daddy. Toughen up and follow your BIG BROTHER BY GOING INDEPENDANT TOO!!!! BAWK BAWK CHICKEN

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt
    Sept. 2, 2010 7:30 a.m.

I love how cougar fans can put lipstick on a pig and call it a beautiful woman.

• Tommy2Shoes
    Sept. 2, 2010 12:52 a.m.

The PAC 10 used to be a great conference in football. It has been eclipsed by the SEC. Now its football programs are USC and a bunch of also rans. USC has been disgraced by its lack of control over its players. I hope Sarkisian can resurrect a once proud Washington Huskies program. I hope Utah can play well enough to one day earn a Rose Bowl game and a shot at a NC game. All true Utahns will be rooting for the Utes if this happens. As a Cougar alumni and loyal fan I hope we can earn our way into a BCS Bowl game soon. After that, I'd love to see BYU in real NC game before I pass into a realm where all this is meaningless.
    I welcome joining hands with institutions that have a Christ oriented focus. We need to stick together and build each other up. Way too much negativity in the MWC for a University owned and operated by the Church. I am thankful to WCC for helping us go Independent.

• Skippy
    Sept. 2, 2010 12:18 a.m.

"BYU accepts WCC invitation" Anyone who really watched the news conference could tell that BYU asked to be in their conference. Even Saint LaVell does not like the idea of going independent. In his words he said "They had no choice, they were forced to make a move". The good thing in all of this...it is nice to know that BYU fans are a HALF GLASS FULL kind of people. I do hope this works out.

• Hellooo
    Sept. 1, 2010 11:05 p.m.

The Y has done a good job of making the best of a difficult situation. It can not be compared with the new conference affiliation of Utah. The PAC-10 is the superior conference of the West. But, this solution may turn out to be a better solution for the Y. Certainly, the location of the WCC makes a lot of sense for all of the non-football teams. Better than the WAC even before Fresno and Reno left. And, the national exposure will help with recruiting in all of the sports. However, I think it is a step back as far as the BB team, but probably not that much from a national perspective. Certainly, the WCC does not have the facilities in BB that teams in the MWC have. The WCC will be an adequate place for most of the other sports, and not really any step down except maybe in Gymnastics because of the U, which will not be in the MWC anyway. So, it is a new time, and time to make the best of it.

• TheSpiker
    Sept. 1, 2010 10:18 p.m.

duggity

"Thespiker. Yeah, we still hate the BcS because it's still all about the Big 10, Texas and Oklahoma, USC and the SEC. They still will figure out a way to hose the Utah's of the country until a playoff exists. And even if a playoff happens they will still try to hose us."

I agree with you 100%.

The BCS is a cartel and the big players in that cartel want to keep everyone else out. Big money = Big corruption.

While Utah and BYU are traveling different paths for recognition and inclusion we should always remember how unjust this system is. Pitting TCU and BSU against each other last year couldn't have made it more obvious.

Good luck against Pitt.

• Duh
    Sept. 1, 2010 9:53 p.m.

I agree with Sammyg and other posters. Both Utah and BYU have now aligned themselves in much better situations. We don't have to be at each others throats because we are no longer in the same conference. I for one will shed that "hope they lose" attitude and root for both teams to excel. It will make our annual game that much more important as it will help each of us propel the other. Now, I only have to worry about one game a year where I will throw away the root for Utah attitude and hope we kick their butts but after this year it will be Go Utah and Go BYU, shed the hatred and move on. Good luck for both teams. This is indeed a good year for them. I am sure that Utah State will end up with a better deal than the WAC, lets see what happens.

• GJ
    Sept. 1, 2010 9:46 p.m.

Track and field doesn't even really need a conference. They already compete against top schools and athletes around the country in the different invitationals to which they receive invitations. You don't need a conference meet to qualify for nationals since individuals must qualify for nationals, by achieving qualifying marks in their specific event. I don't think too many athletes are going to care if they can no longer call themselves conference champions, if they can still make it to nationals.

Softball is the only sport that I see having significant issues with conference affiliation problems.

• CougarOnTheProwl
    Sept. 1, 2010 9:17 p.m.

The WCC a good fit for BYU, I follow the BYU Men's basketball team in addition to the football team and to be able to play Gonzaga every year is exciting. They are very well respected around the nation and everyone knows what they have done in the NCCA tourney in recent years. Also last season they had both Gonzaga and Saint Marys finish ranked in the top 25 and of course Saint Marys made a run to the sweet 16. Now with BYU entering into the fold, it makes for a pretty good conference.

• junkie
    Sept. 1, 2010 9:03 p.m.

Lets get one thing straight. The celebration tonight is that as of 07/01/2011 the MWC will no longer be talked about nor drag the Ute/BYU programs down.

As for those Ute and Cougar fans worried (or relishing in if your a Ute) about the WCC, the WCC is a small but strong well rounded conferences. My research has 25 National Championships for the WCC to 10 for the MWC (which BYU ownes the majority of). Pepperdine baseball - for get about it - there is not a better team year in and year out.

You take BYU's appereances in the NCAA out of the equation, and I bet both conferences place on average the same amount of teams in the Dance.

Soccer/Volleyball/etc all very strong and excel above the average and even top MWC teams. So stop acting like they aren't a strong league. If we measure NCAA Titles as measuring sticks then BYU upgraded. If we look at recent success, the BYU upgraded (except in mens bball) which both MWC and WCC was better than the PAC10.

BYU will be fine, and very powerful if they win games with ESPN behind them!

• BYU Blue 2003
    Sept. 1, 2010 8:05 p.m.

Do you realize what BYU's contract with ESPN will now do for their football recruiting efforts? It certainly won't hurt.

• Real Bass
    Sept. 1, 2010 7:48 p.m.

rvalens2 There will be a home for all byu sports teams. Relax unless you are a ute fan. then you should be very frightened. That sound they hear is the courgar train about to run them down.

• SportsFan
    Sept. 1, 2010 7:46 p.m.

"The WCC does not compete in track and field, swimming, and softball, so BYU is actively exploring other options for its programs in those sports, Holmoe said."

Most track and field meets are invitational meets anyway, so even as an independent, BYU could schedule two or three invitational meets at home and then participate in several other invitational meets during the season.

Swimming is similar in nature.

NCAA championship participation is based on individual time/distance/height etc., so it really doesn't matter whether BYU is in a conference or not, each athlete is competing against a national standard.

BYU will have to find a home for their softball team. In women's soccer, the WCC is an upgrade from the MWC.

• Esquire
    Sept. 1, 2010 7:32 p.m.

This is a major hit on track & field and swimming. What about them?

• rvalens2
    Sept. 1, 2010 6:17 p.m.

Bad day for those sports ... hopefully, BYU will come up with something for them. If not, then they are one and done.

Still a great move for BYU, even if they end up cutting back on the number of sports in which they compete.

• Tommy2Shoes
    Sept. 1, 2010 6:14 p.m.

WCC is a good basketball, soccer, golf, tennis and volleyball conference. I like the faith-based orientation. They want BYU and their fan base. PAC is a great conference (conf of champions). Cougars will do great in the WCC. Utes will struggle in the PAC (except in football). All the extra money the U gets will have to go to strengthening the other programs. I am a Cougar fan that looks forward to both schools being separated from the MWC. I grew up in SoCal and had a baseball/basketball coach that attended Pepperdine. Had a classmate that started at point guard for St. Marys. Had a friend whose brother was a starting center for Santa Clara (his brothers both play in the NBA and went to Stanford).WCC schools are great little private schools for kids like those that attend BYU. Welcome brothers and sisters in Christ. Jump ball.

• eagle
    Sept. 1, 2010 6:11 p.m.

Being a BYU grad but not one that drinks the Kool-Aid, just because BYU won an NCAA game last year does not make them a basketball power.

Saying the PAC-10 sucks in basketball seems to be relative. It probably has sucked compared to Big East, ACC and the Big 10 lately but again let's get real. It is a better than the MWC, WCC, and WAC (year in and year out). Of the teams that constitute the current MWC, only Utah has ventured to the Final Four and only Utah has been in the Sweet 16 more than once since 1990. In regards to the PAC 10, UCLA won a title this decade I do believe. Maybe it was the late 1990's. They were in the Final Four a few years back. No WCC team has made the Final Four in decades.

• duggity
    Sept. 1, 2010 6:07 p.m.

• Morgan Duel
    Sept. 1, 2010 6:02 p.m.

Who is the West Coast Conference. Do any of their schools have more than 5,000 students?

I'd be willing to bet the Y will in 5 years be wanting to move again.

• duggity
    Sept. 1, 2010 5:50 p.m.

And to clarify, I do think this will help the football program, but I also think it will destroy the basketball and Olympic sports programs. Only time will tell. I have to wonder if it will add legitimacy to the WCC or reduce it for BYU.

• TheSpiker
    Sept. 1, 2010 5:45 p.m.

I am willing to bet that the posters from BYU and Utah that antagonize each other with their negative comments have never competed at anything other than checkers.

Your constant need to "win" this debate about which program is better and which move this summer is the better one indicates to me that you, as an individual, have never won anything. You bicker back and forth with no ability to win the argument. Get a life!

About the WCC in basketball ... does it matter? They are not equal to the PAC, probably a step down from MWC, but are better than the WAC (no insult to our friends at Utah State and their great success.) The beautiful thing about college basketball is that there is a tournament! The best teams are all invited and everyone has a chance to compete and win.

Six months ago Utah, as a member of the MWC, was opposed to the BCS and found it to be unfair? Are the Utah fans now pro-BCS because they are part of it? I would certainly hope not.

Good luck to both schools.

• Veritas Aequitas
    Sept. 1, 2010 5:42 p.m.

cval | 2:43 p.m.

"Ahh, but in order to get St. Mary's and Gonzaga, you also have to take Portland, San Diego, and Loyola Marymount."

I was hoping to get SWBU in a basketball game, but I think they are calling the HC their Homecourt now.
    ===
    Brave Sir Robin | 3:41 p.m. Sept. 1, 2010
    Re: Cali Coug

"Too bad nobody's watching the WCC in those cities. I guarantee you that for every person in San Diego watching a USD game, there are 50 watching USC."

50-1? That's pretty close to Utah: 50 BYU fans watching a game to 1 Utah fan.

Ummm, we are talking basketball. How many are going to be watching a USC Utah basketball game again? Beside family members in their regional market, if they even telecast the game...

• John20000
    Sept. 1, 2010 5:40 p.m.

@IDC - BYU soccer games are already on BYUtv. They play in the Premier Development League. I think 4 or 5 games were on BYUtv this last season.

• AZguy
    Sept. 1, 2010 5:11 p.m.

Flaming liberal-love the monniker.

BYU scheduled a series with BSU before any conference changes. They are not afraid of annual beat downs. I don't think BYU is afraid to play anyone. They have a series with Texas, BSU, and others. Now they have a 6 game series with Notre Dame.

Remember, this whole deals stems from a desire for more exposure and access. I think the 8 year deal with ESPN shows that exposure will happen.

• RGinSG
    Sept. 1, 2010 5:02 p.m.

Congrats to the Utes and the Cougs... I think each has made a positive move, in different ways and for different reasons. Best of all, both are free from the Mtn., a sorry excuse for a conference network if ever there was one.

Note that in the news conference, it was made clear that money wasn't the main motivation, but access and exposure. You may not believe the money statement, but I think we have to agree that access and exposure can potentially increase dramatically.

I'm excited for the potential for the future. But right now, as is the BYU football team, I'm excited to get this season underway and establish good reasons for ESPN's and Notre Dame's confidence in us.

• AZguy
    Sept. 1, 2010 5:02 p.m.

Crimson Ute-Yes, every game will be a holy war. I love it. Very funny.

I love the Cougs. As with all college athletics, football drives the bus and pays for the gas. For all non-football sports, this is a lateral move at best. I think you could argue that either way. The exposure of the teams will go way up, but I can't say the same thing for the competition. All of the WCC schools could fit in LES with room to spare. I don't want to bad mouth the WCC, but I hope this is a stepping stone to a bigger conference in the future.

The PAC and WCC comparisons by anyone should stop. That is just plain ridiculous. The PAC is the top conference in all Olympic sports-period. I just hope all those people comparing the WCC and PAC are really U fan posers.

I think swimming will land in the MPSF with Men's volleyball, maybe indoor track too. That would only leave outdoor track and softball without a home.

• LKA
    Sept. 1, 2010 4:52 p.m.

Well at least they wont have an arguement on if they have prayer or not before the game..

• duggity
    Sept. 1, 2010 4:35 p.m.

Lionheart. You're right, but sadly many will start to argue about who has the better flavor of ice cream.

• duggity
    Sept. 1, 2010 4:32 p.m.

To clarify, on top ten finishes I was pointing to the last decade. Yes, I know BYU has 3 just like Utah has 3.

• duggity
    Sept. 1, 2010 4:28 p.m.

Calicoug. That must be some pretty twisted logic you are using to try and spin what I said into admitting BYU dominance. Please explain how you came to that conclusion. I might see your point if Utah didn't have higher final rankings, more top ten finishes, (2 vs Zero) two undefeated seasons against better overall competition vs BYU's one undefeated season, two BCS bowl wins and a 9 bowl game winning streak vs. Zero BCS games and a 2 win bowl streak, and of course a 12-3 Bowl record vs. a 10-17-1 Bowl record. And did you really bring up 1984 again? Do you really need to give me more ammo? How about your 3 out of 4 comment? Should we mention that it's also 3 out of 7? How about 5 out of 10? 10 out of 20? Not the best point to use in your favor. Are you going to try attendance smack next. Please do, because it won't make you look at all worse than you already do. There are many BYU fans reading this wishing that you would stop posting because again, you are making them look bad.

• frankie boy
    Sept. 1, 2010 4:26 p.m.

Cougar fans-if LMU is winning the conference gets even more attention, and it so happens that Gonzaga's main challenger next year will not be St Marys but LMU, who could well have a 20-25 win team next year....

• IDC
    Sept. 1, 2010 4:26 p.m.

Any chance BYU gets an NCAA mens soccer team now? I would love to watch that on BYUTV.

Go Cougs.

• CrimsonUte
    Sept. 1, 2010 4:18 p.m.

Now every BYU conference game can be a "Holy War!"

• duggity
    Sept. 1, 2010 4:18 p.m.

Cougsrock. You fail to mention the Title won by Arizona in 1997. Shall we bring up Final four appearances or even sweet 16 appearances in the last decade? Please stop trying to post your opinions as facts. When was the last time a WCC team won a Title? 1956 by San Francisco. You want to know another funny thing? Despite moving to a different conference, your conference tournament will still be in Vegas. You just can't escape that place can you?

• Lionheart
    Sept. 1, 2010 4:13 p.m.

Why must Utah's good fortune be a coup against BYU and why must BYU's move to independence and the WCC be about having a better TV footprint than the U? Why can't we all just be happy that good things are happening to Utah schools which represent all Utahns at some time or other. The only time I don't root for the U is when they play the Y. There really is enough happiness to go around. We don't have to take away someone else's ice cream cone to enjoy our own. You kids start behaving.

• hedgehog
    Sept. 1, 2010 3:54 p.m.

I just love the headline....

"BYU accepts invite to the WCC"

BWAHAH HA HA HA HA HA !!!

• duggity
    Sept. 1, 2010 3:52 p.m.

Cali Coug. You're right, because the world is going to tune in to see BYU play Pepperdine instead of that big soccer soccer match. Let's put this in perspective for you so you can awaken from your delusions. BYUTV or whatever they will call it will be broadcast around the world, but what percentage of the world will watch it for the game? First off, outside of America there is virtually no interest in American Football, and what little there is will be focused on NFL football. You point to the number of members in other states but fail to account for the fact that most of them are families so you have to drop the number of televisions by at least 70% if we figure in having between 2 and 3 kids. Of that remaining amount how many are college football fans? Of those, how many are BYU fans instead of being fans of their local school? Having served my mission in Louisiana, I can tell you that the only ones there that root for BYU are the transplants. The rest are LSU fans. Long story short; that footprint is an illusion.

• Flaming Liberal
    Sept. 1, 2010 3:50 p.m.

Congratulations BYU on your successful quest to keep up with the Utes and to avoid the imminent annual beat-downs from TCU and BSU.

Let's recap for our readers:

Utah- step up to the PAC-10.

BYU- stumble down to the WCC (I had never heard of it until last week).

• cougsrock
    Sept. 1, 2010 3:45 p.m.

Right now the Pac10 conference sucks in basketball. That is the facts. Championships in the 60's,70's, and 80's aside.

• Brave Sir Robin
    Sept. 1, 2010 3:41 p.m.

Re: Cali Coug

Are you serious? Tell me you're not serious. "We have a better TV footprint than the PAC".

If you're talking total population, then you may be right. Too bad nobody's watching the WCC in those cities. I guarantee you that for every person in San Diego watching a USD game, there are 50 watching USC.

Just because you're in the market doesn't mean the market will watch. Just because your channel is available in a home doesn't mean that home is watching it. BYU admins and fans seem to have trouble understanding this simple principle. Or do you honestly believe that you'll be getting 55 million viewers for football because your channel reaches 55 million people?

• Cali Coug
    Sept. 1, 2010 3:25 p.m.

Re Duggity

so then according to you the Y's football program is much, much, much better than the u's. We have a NC, multiple top 25 rankings and have won three of the last four...good to see you admit the Y is superior in all things.

• bucko
    Sept. 1, 2010 3:22 p.m.

cheezster08, what are you talking about 'worthless Comcast deal'?
    The Pac-10 now gets coverage on ABC, ESPN, and the Fox Sports network. USC vs Hawaii is on ESPN tomorrow (09-02-2010). So, Haha what?
    Utah will be getting big-time exposure in the Pac-12. Both BYU and Utah made great moves by leaving the MWC. The MWC media package is the worst thing that ever happened to the MWC.
    A person can buy higher-quality cameras at BestBuy than the Mtn station uses. And exposure.... someone told me that that the Mtn STILL is not on the Dish Network. Boise St will probably get out of there now.

• Cali Coug
    Sept. 1, 2010 3:20 p.m.

We have a better TV footprint than the PAC...SD, LA, SFC, Seattle, Portland, SLC and the world...the u must be wondering, "Why do they beat us at everything".

• duggity
    Sept. 1, 2010 2:54 p.m.

Cheezster08. Lets be realistic here. The WCC is a better basketball conference than the Pac-10? Please explain how you come to that conclusion. Shall we go by total basketball national championships? The Pac-10 has 16, soon to be 17 with Utah joining the conference. The WCC has 2. I guess that argument is out. Maybe you were referring to powerhouses? Hmm...UCLA (10 titles), Stanford & Arizona vs. Gonzaga, BYU & St. Mary's? Nope, I guess there goes that argument. And by the way, just because BYU was better last season than Utah doesn't make them the better basketball program. Last I checked Utah tied for the title two seasons ago and won the conference tourney, which I'm pretty sure would count as a tie-breaker. When was the last time BYU went to the sweet 16? Utah went this decade. Final 4 appearances? (crickets chirping) Still waiting. Yeah, you should probably do your research before you post. You're making the normal BYU fans look bad.

• cval
    Sept. 1, 2010 2:43 p.m.

sls | 1:50 p.m. Sept. 1, 2010
    If you aren't an acceptable partner because of your "culture" you look for a culture where you are accepted. The WCC makes BYU basketball even more attractive (I'd take Gonzaga and St. Mary's over New Mexico and SDSU any day).

• 42istheanswer
    Sept. 1, 2010 2:30 p.m.

Not all that surprising cheezster08, the program has stalled in the last decade with only a handful of bright spots. This is coming from a Utah fan.

• DEW Cougars
    Sept. 1, 2010 2:07 p.m.

wind never stop in Laramie for golf. bye bye Laramie

• giggle
    Sept. 1, 2010 2:07 p.m.

this Zaninovich guy puts Craig Thompson to shame! So long Craigy boy!

• cheezster08
    Sept. 1, 2010 2:00 p.m.

Funny how BYU will be going to a better basketball conference than the Utes next year.

• cheezster08
    Sept. 1, 2010 1:54 p.m.

I can see it right now. Notre Dame @ BYU on ESPN at 9 ET Prime Time, while Utah is playing at Washington State on their worthless Comcast deal. Haha, I love it.

• Johnny Triumph
    Sept. 1, 2010 1:50 p.m.

BYU will strengthen a good league.

• sls
    Sept. 1, 2010 1:50 p.m.

• sammyg
    Sept. 1, 2010 1:48 p.m.

It's a great day for BYU! I'm excited to see the new schedule develop and know that I will not have to watch the mtn network next year!

Hooray for BYU. Hooray for well improved programs for both BYU and U of U. Better football coverage for Utah is great news. Put aside the stupid comments and keep the 'smack' for the rivalry games.

Now let's rally for USU and get something for them!

• SportzFan
    Sept. 1, 2010 1:30 p.m.

Golf, baseball, soccer have to be thrilled to travel to the coast instead of to Laramie, Ft. Collins, New Mexico.