Sports

BYU football: Cougars deem going it alone the best option

Comments

• Parkite1
    Sept. 2, 2010 3:56 p.m.

Fantastic decision should have come years ago! As for the prat "Hedgehog" he needs to go stick his head... BYU is an elite program and has much more national respect and following than the Utes will ever have. Only 4 teams have won more games than BYU over the last 5 years and Utah isn't one of them. The national exposure on ESPN should start to humble the uneducated who don't realize what BYU has done over the last 30 years compared to Notre Dame. I imagine that BYU's move to independence may cause other schools to follow. The rumble is that USC (University of Sanctioned Cheating) could go independent and leave the PAC-12. Yeah Utah BYU's move certainly trumps the chumps I mean the Utes- Prediction BYU 8-4, or 9-3, Utah 7-5 or 6-6

Go Cougars!

• Crispy Lips
    Sept. 2, 2010 3:00 p.m.

The term Waterloo comes to mind.

• defibman
    Sept. 2, 2010 12:42 p.m.

@ BleedCougarBlue: Hedgehog is over on all the other BYU articles posting his hate filled retoric there hoping no one will remember what he said and acting as if he didn't say anything. What is so funny is that now no one will even read his posts and skip right over them all because he has proven himself to be wrong for the umpteenth time.
    Oh hedgehog, your hibernation came early this year and we all are sooooo happy. Look for him to change his name to something else.

• BleedCougarBlue
    Sept. 1, 2010 7:59 p.m.

Ya know, as I just sitting here basking in the glow of BYU drastically increasing it's national audience via our new independence and ESPN's large payout deal, I remembered that a BYU-hating poster named 'Hedgehog' repeatedly said that BYU going indepedent would never happen and that BYU AD Tom Holmoe would be fired for trying to make it happen.

Anybody seen Hedgehog?

Hedgehog! Oh, Heeeeedghog! Where aaaaaare you?

Come out!, come out!, come out wherever you are!....

• Marky
    Sept. 1, 2010 6:43 p.m.

@nehu

Your ignorance is showing. There is no such thing as an "area authority" (used to be "Area Authority Seventy" and now just "Area Seventy") so you lose all the way around.

Thanks for playing.

• Tom in CA
    Sept. 1, 2010 4:00 p.m.

@nehu

And what will you say to your area authority - do you even know who he is?
    No - we will not forget about our National Championship Team of 1984.
    Are you playing with a full deck - by the way??

• dfoke05
    Sept. 1, 2010 3:56 p.m.

I live in S. Cal. My Father in Law lives in Utah and forwarded me this article on BYU going Independent. I made the mistake of reading the comments and now I actually signed up to give my opinion!

1. My basic cable package carries the BYUChannel and I think most of them do here in S. Cal. Lots of Mormons.

2. I think BYU and UTAH both won this off season. Utah gets to join a great conference with a lot of great sports besides Football. It looks like BYU with ESPN's backing will be a solid Independent University. I bet Texas is jelous!

3. Sorry Utah fans but I will say here in S. Cal, there is the feeling that Utah did come out a winner but the Pac 10 did not. Most Pac10 fans care less about getting Utah and CU in the conference. Probably because we went from getting TX and OU to UT and CU. Far from the same.

4. BYU fans, what are you going to do not being able to go to the Las Vegas Bowl every year!? LOL...sorry but that is a crappy bowl.

• brmose
    Sept. 1, 2010 3:56 p.m.

I would think that BYU could get on the schedule of some of the Big 12 teams starting in 2011 in the place of CU and UN that will be leaving the conference and not be playing them anymore.

• davidutefan
    Sept. 1, 2010 3:26 p.m.

Whatever happens, I wish the TDS good fortune. For basketball and other "minor sports" It's kind of a push. In football, Time will tell. For years I've watched Utah and the Y complain that "national power" schools wouldn't play them unless the terms were extremely favorable. Lately, they gotten a few to play. If that trend continues, This could be very favorable. Even Utah's move can be a boost to the cougs as, like it or not, the PAC gets more press and respect than the MWC. Utah's staying on the schedule and continuing the rivalry at least puts an AQ conference team on the schedule. That said, I think they, at least financially, made the best move for the university. Good luck even though i'm not as as gracious as Utefan24. I still can't stand the TDS

• Bucket
    Sept. 1, 2010 2:42 p.m.

BYU has gotten too big for their britches. They think they have some national draw. More Mormons speak spanish than english. Watching football for religious reasons has never been preached at the pulpit. Football is a brutal, barbaric sport that has no connection to the mission of Jesus Christ. BYU should drop their football program. Let the players go.... to Utah!

• Brother Chuck Schroeder
    Sept. 1, 2010 1:51 p.m.

Here we go again with more whines from the BYU football: Cougars deem going it alone the best option, that reminds me of the Reichstag fire. The Reichstag fire was a disaster for Communists because they received the blame for starting it, but it was a dream come true for Hitler and his cohorts as it allowed them to turn Germany into a dictatorship. "If BYU was looking for increased exposure for its football program, this move with help from cable giant ESPN has the potential of accomplishing that goal". BYU accomplishing that goal of what, to turn Utah into a dictatorship ?.

• Veritas Aequitas
    Sept. 1, 2010 1:51 p.m.

Live Hard | 8:55 a.m. Sept. 1, 2010

"I for one have blocked the BYU channel on Comcast..."

===

Um, could you just leave your ball?

• derecha
    Sept. 1, 2010 1:23 p.m.

Reality Check: Here are just a few stats about the "other sports" in the WCC.

The WCC is well known for its competitive men’s basketball lineup, which includes two programs that have been to the Sweet 16 in the last two years — Gonzaga and Saint Mary’s.

The conference routinely qualifies multiple teams for NCAA Championships across its sports and regularly challenges for national championships in women’s soccer (the WCC has won three national titles in the sport since 2001), women’s volleyball (Santa Clara reached the Final Four in 2005; five of the eight WCC schools qualified for the 2008 NCAA Tournament), baseball (two or more programs in the NCAA Tournament in three of the last four years) and women’s basketball (Gonzaga reached the NCAA Sweet 16 last year and three other teams advanced to the post-season). Pepperdine University also owns national titles in both men’s golf (1997) and men’s tennis (2006).

I don't think the MWC or WAC would come close to these kinds of stats in the other sports. It looks to me that BYU is taking a step up in joining the WCC, not considering the football implications.

• Alaskan Ute
    Sept. 1, 2010 12:57 p.m.

Congratulations Cougars. I applaud the move. Good luck from this Ute.

• WHAT NOW?
    Sept. 1, 2010 12:16 p.m.

I remember BYU fans demonizing the UTES for going to the liberal "left coast" PAC-10.

Now the Cougars will be in a similar "left coast" conference of 8 left leaning, social justice Universities.

Hypocrites?

I don't know, I'm just asking.

• Henry Drummond
    Sept. 1, 2010 12:13 p.m.

I hope things work out well for the Cougars. I'm afraid however that they are going to find out that they don't have the negotiating strength they are counting on.

They may find that the big teams are happy to help them out, but only the same way Texas did with 2 for 1 games or Home only games.

ESPN may also be happy to help out, but not on the financial terms they thought they could command.

It also looks like they have disadvantaged the rest of their sports programs.

I bet somewhere along the lines you are going to see a new conference emerge from the wreckage of the WAC and the MWC. I hope USU doesn't get left behind.

• mountains101
    Sept. 1, 2010 12:01 p.m.

socaltrueblue: "Not only letting the biggest financial draw in the league depart a sinking ship, but virtually taunting them into jumping ship by your retaliatory invite to two more teams into the boat as it was taking on water (Nevada?? give me a break), proves your utter incompetence."

Umm.. if the mwc doesn't take those two teams BYU leaves to go the WAC... how is that "taunting them to jump ship"??

As always, good riddance.

• sgrox
    Sept. 1, 2010 11:54 a.m.

Wow, this has been wild. As a Aggie fan...who is also a Cubs fan...who is also a Utah Jazz fan....I could have told you weeks ago the destiny of the Aggies.....embrace the curse, baby! Eveyone is castigating Albrecht and Barnes. Seriously, keep in mind that USU has NEVER come from a position of leverage or power. Their only chance to get ahead in this conference realignment scenario is to take a risk like this. The risk failed. We are who we are. If we end up in the Big Sky then that's who we are. I applaud them for taking the risk. Once the MWC called, they'd already set their fate. Who would pay the $5 million? Plus, one other important note that hasn't been made in print...I believe Albrecht is the chair of the WAC council of presidents....was he representing USU or the WAC when he and Benson contacted BYU? Offically, he was representing the WAC.

• --BYUTAH--
    Sept. 1, 2010 11:52 a.m.

Independence is going to be a tough road for BYU, the key is finding quality opponents to play week in and week out. This is the reason Notre Dame is successful as an Independent. They can schedule games with any BCS school easily.

2010 Notre Dame Football Schedule
    PURDUE
    MICHIGAN
    at Michigan State
    STANFORD
    at Boston College
    PITTSBURGH
    WESTERN MICHIGAN
    at Navy
    TULSA
    UTAH
    ARMY
    at USC

Notre Dame schedule includes
    7 BCS schools, 5 Non-AQ Schools.

With the help of ESPN, I can see BYU getting 4-6 games with BCS schools, maybe more. There are several teams that have shown they are willing to play in Provo.

BYU already has Texas and Oregon State for 3 years starting in 2011. With large fan base in Texas, California, Arizona, Florida, and many other states. Look for BYU to schedule BCS teams like:
    Texas A&M, Texas Tech, USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State, Miami, Florida State, Notre Dame, Boston College, Clemson, LSU, Nebraska, Missouri, Washington, Stanford.

BYU has shown it can draw crowds anywhere in the country. (20,000+ at Cowboy stadium Vs. OU) Now it's just about showing it all on the field. Go Cougs.

• Willard
    Sept. 1, 2010 11:47 a.m.

Congratulations to B.Y.U. and Utah on their recent decisions. Each did what they thought was best for themsleves. Frankly, I am excited about the possibilities for both. I think football is on the rise in Utah. U.S.U. will be a winner under Coach Anderson. Weber State does well under Coach McBride.
    Snow College almost always plays championship football. The high schools are getting more of their athletes recruited by D1 schools. Whats not to like, if you like football.
    My last point is that their is room for everyone and it's good for us all to be successful.

• Independent
    Sept. 1, 2010 11:40 a.m.

I don't see this as having any effect on their BCS chances. In the MWC they would have to have gone undefeated and finish in at least the top 12 to get a BCS bid. Winning a conference championship was not enough, and don't kid yourself into thinking it would be any different in the future. So now, if BYU goes undefeated and finishes in the top 12, do you see the BCS keeping them out? True, they are just as unlikely to make the BCS as they were in the MWC. But are they any worse off, really? All that has changed is BYU's ability to hold on to revenue, a definite plus.

• sls
    Sept. 1, 2010 11:28 a.m.

Larry Miller would tell anyone that you have to take risks to be successful. I'm a believer that this move has lots of upside potential. BYU has nothing to worry about. After the MWC realizes how much BYU was subsidizing their league, they will take them back in a heartbeat. And, if the move is successful, one of the big six conferences will come knocking. Congrats to the Cougars for finally becoming creative.

• mjkkjk
    Sept. 1, 2010 11:05 a.m.

Thanks to the several classy non-BYU fans offering their congratulations.

At first I was very hesitant to want to leave the MWC, but now I completely agree that this was the best choice for BYU given our options. And in all honestly, I'm happy for the Utes to have made it into the PAC 10. They undoubtedly earned it. This is a good time for college sports in the state of Utah. I'm looking forward to a nice 11-0 vs. 11-0 showdown in November.

• MountieFan
    Sept. 1, 2010 10:46 a.m.

Either this is the dumbest act in the history of BYU sports.... or the smartest. Only time will tell. But, abandoning a conference that has been a refuge for the "Y" could be extremely harsh. So, let's look at the other football independents and see how they've done recently....oopsie, pretty lousy. Maybe we can get Charlie Weis for a Head Football Coach??

• Curtis
    Sept. 1, 2010 10:35 a.m.

As a loyal Ute fan, I am green with envy. While I am going to be stuck watching the Utes play the same PAC10 teams every week, year after year, BYU fans will get to watch a different slate of teams every year. It will be quite a treat for BYU fans to be able to see the North Dakota State Bisons, or the Idaho State Vandals, or the Western Illinois Leathernecks at LES. I really wish the U of U had the reputation and the facilities to pull off something of this magnitude, but alas we are stuck being the Cougs little brother, always in their shadow :(

• williary
    Sept. 1, 2010 10:19 a.m.

re: sportsjunkie

No, the Pac did not get their absolute first choice. They took a shot for the fences with Texas, even though Texas never had any real interest.

Being second fiddle to Texas? That's a pretty favorable position to be in.

On the other hand, teams like Nevada and Fresno decided in favor of the MWC and Craig Thompson as opposed to BYU.

Being second fiddle to the MWC? Now that's a pretty embarrassing feat.

• BP
    Sept. 1, 2010 10:10 a.m.

To UteFan24: Thank you. I wish there were more people like you on both sides of the rivalry.

• blueturf
    Sept. 1, 2010 9:49 a.m.

i like the move because thus ends the drama so we can move on. TCU did nothing because no one wants them at this point so we'll c ya next year T oadies.
    Now that the Kewgs declared their independence do us a favor and put us on your schedule you'll need the strengthening and I like seeing BSU on da ESPN. Anyhow congrats on your move The WCC is formidable in basketball with St.Marys,LMU and Gonzaga much better Basketball conference than the WACked.

• Tommy2Shoes
    Sept. 1, 2010 9:49 a.m.

Our fan base is heavily located in the WCC area. Church has about 3 million members in Utah, California, Oregon and Washington. Another million reside in Idaho, Nevada and Arizona. This is our base. PAC 10 didn't want us. So be it. We will thrive as a football independent. More money and annual games with quality teams for at least 5 of the games (the other 7 insure bowl eligibility). If we win, we get big bowl money. As part of the WCC we will also thrive. Great locations to play bb and visit local sights. Will anyone really miss Laramie in the Winter or the Vegas Invitational. Probably not. Also, looking forward to Aloha Stadium again. A nice break from cold weather. Onward and upward. Arriba y adelante.

• Linus
    Sept. 1, 2010 9:44 a.m.

Brothers, brothers, brothers,
    Settle! Wait and see. The future holds great promise for all of us. Nothing is static. Cream rises to the top.
    Peace! But answer me just one question: Why is BYU's National Championship "mythical," but Notre Dame's National Championships are genuine? Weren't thy awarded by the same system?
    The current system is as flawed as the old one! Otherwise, TCU and BSU should have played for the Championship instead of the beaten teams that played.

• Wldflwr
    Sept. 1, 2010 9:32 a.m.

@ Live Hard: So you blocked the BYU channel on Comcast.......who cares? Just wish you could be blocked from posting on BYU articles. You are one bitter and hateful person. Hope you get some help.

• AZ Dave
    Sept. 1, 2010 9:27 a.m.

Suddenly, with Gonzaga, Saint Mary's and BYU, the WCC becomes a premier MID-major conference in men's basketball. nuf' said

• Big Richard
    Sept. 1, 2010 9:23 a.m.

I hope BYU knows what they're doing with the independent move in football. I live in the midwest and follow Notre Dame football and their program just doesn't seem to have the same strength as teams that sit in conferences like the Big 12. Notre Dame games seem more like weekly football exhibitions since they're not ever playing for a conference title. The move of other sports to the WCC doesn't seem to hold any strong opportunities for regional rilvaries that we've grown used to with the likes of Utah, New Mexico, et al.

• patriot
    Sept. 1, 2010 9:09 a.m.

As a 30 year BYU football fan I have to say I am more exited in seeing Utah in the PAC 10 and being able to see the U play USC and UCLA at home than whatever BYU is going to end up with being independent. I guess the Y has no choice but it is sad the Big 12 didn't invite the Y. That would have been the real deal.

• TAGZZ
    Sept. 1, 2010 9:07 a.m.

Ernest... Don't you mean OUR talent will go way up and not ARE?

• patriot
    Sept. 1, 2010 9:03 a.m.

let's be real here - dropping track, softball, swimming are a big deal and there is no positive spin to put on this. BYU has always been strong in track and swimming ..but no more. Pretty sad. The WCC is a joke - below the MWC for sure. Heck BYU is now in a weaker conference than Utah State. Football may not care but basketball sure does. I think the reality of the new NCAA is hitting home and there are the have's (UTAH) and have nots (BYU).

• Utah Valley Guy
    Sept. 1, 2010 8:50 a.m.

LaVell Edwards and the everyone else at BYU can't understand what the MWC brass were thinking because the MWC brass don't think win/win. Everything they've done is pretty clearly cynical, win/lose thinking.

Those who think that BYU is making a mistake or taking huge risks (including the MWC brass) simply don't understand the unique nature of BYU and what its mission is. HINT: it's probably the only school in the country who would be willing to trade money for exposure. Most other teams see exposure as a means to get more money. BYU sees money as a means to get more exposure.

• DEW Cougars
    Sept. 1, 2010 8:48 a.m.

I read daily for two weeks of what is going on, well we are going independent football and other sports to wcc. I am fine with that. it is possible more teams will come and play us since we no longer in the mwc after 2010/2011 season and that is the possiblity. mwc make other conferanceS nervous playing us. I may be wrong in that thought.
    My thought about Bronco M. remark, I respect him and I believe him in every way he say. And for Dave Rose, I hope that he will go along with that too because he is a fun guy to coach our players.

Let the game begin, GO COUGARS!

• sports-junkie
    Sept. 1, 2010 8:37 a.m.

williary | 7:34 a.m. Sept. 1, 2010
    I agree, this is a better option than staying in the MWC without Utah. So I give the Cougs props for taking the plunge.

That said, this does not even come close to matching Utah's move to the Pac-12. Not even debatable. Utah got their first choice, BYU settled for their 3rd/4th choice. Those are just the facts. "

Of course utah got their first choice, but did the pac?

• TXCoug
    Sept. 1, 2010 8:33 a.m.

Why do all these loser Ute fans get on here and make lame comments like "scheduling will be harder than they think" or "this doesn't come close to Utah's move to the PAC 12"?

We all know the only reason BYU didn't go to the PAC is because of religious affiliation--NOT BECAUSE OF THE QUALITY OF THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM OR OTHER SPORTS.

And why do you Ute fans care if BYU has a national brand and can actually make independence work? If Utah plays BYU each year, don't you want them to have be as high profile as possible?

As for the scheduling--do any of you really know more about how scheduling is done than the insiders at BYU that do this for a living year in and year out? Despite your fantasies, they are not stupid people and this was not a 2 week decision---there is no way they would make this move if they didn't have scheduling figured out.

Why aren't you Ute fans more interested in the Pitt game?????? Get a life.

• Veracity
    Sept. 1, 2010 8:32 a.m.

To TheHailstorm...thanks for the advice, I will take a deep breath and relax, but with your last comment, wouldn't someone call that slander? Just to let you know what I was doing at 4:30 am., I am an Emergency MD and was inbetween sets here at the hospital, just relaxing for a minute...I'll wave to you though as you go by on the back of the garbage truck, please wave back so I will know everything is well with you...have a great day.

• Utah Utes1
    Sept. 1, 2010 8:31 a.m.

Good luck to BYU in this new endeavor. I wish you a heartfelt congratulations and all the success your great program deserves.

• SoCalUtahFan
    Sept. 1, 2010 8:31 a.m.

It's interesting move...given the scenario that Notre Dame is considering joining Big-10 conference.

Recruits will love to come to Utah to compete against USC, UCLA, Oregon, OSU, Cal, Standford, etc

Recruits will love to come to BYU...and compete against whom? they don't know.

It still feels sooooo goooood to be with the Utes!!!!

• SoCalTrueBlue
    Sept. 1, 2010 8:24 a.m.

Dear Commisioner Thompson,
    Sincerely,
    SoCalTrueBlue

• JackMo
    Sept. 1, 2010 8:24 a.m.

BYU athletics isn't doing what church leaders have taught over the years: "Don't try to keep up with the Jones family."

Well I guess the Utes going to the PAC-10 was just too much for BYU to swallow! Had Utah remained in the MWC, BYU would not be an independent right now in football!

Anyway, while the Utes are playing in the Colesium in L.A., it would still be better for BYU to be playing in Laramie, Wyoming some snowy afternoon, rather than trying to eek out a schedule on their own.
    (Heads up Northern Iowa College! BYU might want to begin a new, long term rivalry with you!)

• Ed Meyer
    Sept. 1, 2010 8:18 a.m.

This certainly makes for an exciting sports scene it Utah doesn't it? I hope it works out for everyone. I'm a little concerned about sports like track and field where BYU has a long history of excellence, but I have confidence they will work it out.

• Cougs4Life
    Sept. 1, 2010 8:17 a.m.

@wwookie:

"ESPN has no interest in showing BYU vs New Mexico State or BYU vs San Jose State, or BYU versus Utah State, or BYU vs ..."

Except for this year, where they picked up the BYU at USU game for a nationally televised contest through their contract with the WAC. When was the last time that they picked up the UofU at USU?

But you're right, ESPN will have little interest in those types of games, so you better believe that they will ensure that they use their influence in college football to ensure that there are better teams on the schedule. For the most part, it may be mid-level BCS teams, like Utah, but it will be better than the MWC! I'd love to see this mean that the Cougs could schedule 7 to 8 home games a year and take the extra attendance revenue as well.

• RD1025
    Sept. 1, 2010 8:14 a.m.

You can say goodbye to the other sports at BYU, including basketball, by going to the WCC. Except for Gonzaga in basketball, this is a weak conference at best for all other sports. This will be a no brainer for an athlete considering Utah vs BYU. Competing in the PAC 10 over the WCC will cause BYU to lose a lot of good athletes to the Utes. Sacrificing the other sports for football's big money will be a sad thing to see here at BYU.

• Coug_PA_in_TX
    Sept. 1, 2010 8:08 a.m.

ESPN has no interest in showing BYU vs New Mexico State or BYU vs San Jose State, or BYU versus Utah State.

wwookie, don't bother turning on ESPN on October 1st. BYU vs USU.

Since that game is always on a Friday, it will probably be on ESPN every year.

• Cali Coug
    Sept. 1, 2010 8:02 a.m.

I'm excited!!

• B
    Sept. 1, 2010 8:02 a.m.

RE: wwookie

'It will take a lot more work than the school officials think in piecing together a schedule, and get ready for 4 or 5 home games a year if BYU does get quality opponents.'

Are you serious?

The BYU home schedule THIS YEAR is as follows:
    Washington - Best home game this year
    Nevada - Not bad
    SDSU - I want my money back
    Wyoming - I want my money back
    UNLV - I want my money back
    New Mexico - I want you to pay ME to go to this one.

So you talk about the trouble of scheduling 'quality' opponents. It looks like it has been a problem for a while.

• Ernest T. Bass
    Sept. 1, 2010 8:01 a.m.

Are talent will go way up.

• yarrlydarb
    Sept. 1, 2010 7:52 a.m.

@Xpat

Patterson was making noise, that's all. He knows nothing. You notice that nobody followed up on his inane comment. He has the same deadline in the mwc as all the rest. Is he going to hold a press conference today? Would anybody care if he did? He's down there among all the big programs around him trying to stir up something. When did you say he made his bold statement; was it on the 19th and today is the 1st of September. That's 13 days and not a single soul has followed up. And remember, he's the coach, not the president or AD. Yeah, right. TCU has some big news. lol.

• jazzbball
    Sept. 1, 2010 7:51 a.m.

@UteFan24

You're one of the good guys, UteFan24. Wish all fans on both sides could be as level-headed and respectful as yourself.

• nehu
    Sept. 1, 2010 7:39 a.m.

Maybe this will help BYU fans forget about 1984, doubt it but we can always hope. Magnum PI was steam rolling in 1984 right along with Three's Company back in 1984 that is pretty cool. Golly that was a long time ago.

The funny thing about BYU's accomplishment if we want to call it that is that they like most other accomplishments, accomplished nothing to earn this accomplishment. Unless you consider a losing record in the Las Vegas Bowl an accomplishment.

All in the name of money my friends:)

• TheHailstorm
    Sept. 1, 2010 7:36 a.m.

Veracity | 4:29 a.m. Sept. 1, 2010
    "This will be an interesting day reading all of the different ways of the twisted logic, the different crude remarks, the hate spewed forth, the jealous comments and low-life remarks the Ute fans will regurgitate".
    Are these comments necessary ?
    Seems to me like your drinking a bitter poison hoping the other person will die.
    Relax on the slander please.
    We're talking college football. Let's stay on task.
    In that regard I think BYU will have a tough time scheduling the games they would like to play as the other upper level programs will be playing a conference schedule.
    They may not get the games that they need for a strong SOS and as that sinks scheduling becomes harder as other schools schedule games with teams with a more desirable SOS and RPI.
    Hopefully Tom Holmoe can work hard to get the Cougars need to stay competitive.
    As of today Stoney Brook has a vacancy in 2013.

Veracity, I noticed that you wrote this at 4:30 A.M. just before leaving for your paper route.
    Best wishes to all of the programs in the state.
    GO UTES !!!

• hamaca
    Sept. 1, 2010 7:36 a.m.

Good luck to both the U and BYU! Leaving the MWC at the same time is exciting--kind of like leaving home and going out into the big world full of risks and challenges.

Contrary to what the 17 and 18 year old posters here on both sides think (who know who to write better than they know how to think), both programs will succeed despite the challenges. Depending on schedules, it's unlikely either will duplicate the win/loss records of the past few years, but they'll have winning seasons nonetheless.

Regarding BYU, yes it will be difficult to schedule an entire season every year--they know that and that factored into the decision. It wouldn't surprise me if they've been working behind the scenes, especially intensely the past several days, gauging potential interest and there must of been enough for them to make the jump.

• nehu
    Sept. 1, 2010 7:35 a.m.

The actions of BYU prove one thing, money and exposure come over all else at BYU. I will be writing my area authority:)

• williary
    Sept. 1, 2010 7:34 a.m.

• wayne
    Sept. 1, 2010 7:33 a.m.

be careful of what you wish for. in a few years BYU will have to keep winning a large percentage of the games it plays to stay relevant.

does anyone know if BYU has a buyout clause in the WCC? I do not feel that independence is the long term answer. I can not see the Big 12 adding BYU.
    However, I can see a super conference made from the dust of three conferences CUAS, MWC, and WAC teams which would include BYU.

how about UAB, Mississippi, Memphis, Tulane, Houston, TCU in the eastern division and Air Force, Boise st, Fresno st. San Diego State, UNLV and BYU in the Western division. no silly MTN and a conference that would gain respect nationally, provide stability, and maintain natural rivalries.

with two crossover conference games a year that would give BYU and other conference members 5 games to play national powers or regional rivals.

I'm not saying that BYU should do so now. but in 2016 when major conference contracts run out. its an option that BYU should consider.

• RealityCheck
    Sept. 1, 2010 7:05 a.m.

I've never seen a fanbase so excited about going to a conference that only two weeks ago they hadn't heard of. The jury is out on if this will help or hurt the football program, but the other programs are taking a sizable step backward in terms of level of competition and relevance.

• baddog
    Sept. 1, 2010 6:55 a.m.

ike -- Good thought. It will sort itself out. I agree with LaVell Edwards: I can't figure out what MWC brass were thinking to let BYU get away.

I suspect the financial take for other MWC teams will diminish significantly.

• Ross
    Sept. 1, 2010 6:37 a.m.

Good luck to BYU in the move to independence, there is another story of football independence in the beehive state that did not go so well, that being Utah State. When Utah State had their big west affiliation pulled out from under them because the conference dropped football, the Aggies really struggled. The Aggs deteriorated so far in football that they are just now getting it together after a stint in the Sunbelt Conference and then the WAC. This was a very hard time for the Aggies and the Aggie faithful.

BYU is truly a national program and has national marketing build in. They can draw a large crowd in any city in the country, and stay connected with their fan base via byutv. Good Luck to BYU in this new venture.

• Louisiana Cougar
    Sept. 1, 2010 6:17 a.m.

I guess the Cougars burned their bridges with the MWC and had no leverage in considering the option to remain as a conference member.

My personal opinion is that this idea to be an Independent was (and is) a very bad idea. Time will tell.

But I will continue to bleed Cougar blue!

• Give Me A Break
    Sept. 1, 2010 5:30 a.m.

Being the firststring armchair quarterback for BYU this year I am excited for the change. For all the want-a-be quarterbacks who will soon comment, I wish you had all of the information necessary to understand this playcall. I suggest fastening your seat belt. This ride is about to take off!

What a gutsy call. It is fourth down. The defense wants you for breakfast. As you are about to snap the ball a play comes from the sidelines. Could it be? You look at the coach who nods approval. You yell to the team. The clock! Only one second remains. HIKE! The ball is in your hands. You fade left, behemoths are crashing through the line. You fake a run, then suddenly from nowhere the left tackle runs right past you as you hand him the ball. Your receivers are streaking down field. You make a good block on a bruiser. He doesn't know what happened. He spins. Your lineman cocks his arm and unleashes a spiral over everyone's head except the streaking receiver. He catches it and runs for all he is worth. Everyone wonders, where did a lineman get an arm like that?

• eastcoastcoug
    Sept. 1, 2010 5:10 a.m.

Sounds good for football, although playing 2 BCS teams plus BSU, Hawaii, USU and Utah is not an improvement over our current schedule. Right now we are only talking about what MIGHT be, which is no guarantee. We get more money for Fball by playing outside the MWC and more "exposure" on BYU TV (only known to LDS). What about the huge drop in revenue for Basketball playing in gymnasiums at schools with 4,000 students???

No one has really answered these questions and where it leaves us in terms of revenue, real exposure and what it will do for the Church, recruiting and overall improvement of our sports programs.

Oh, and BYU TV had better up its schedule as well. We will not attract and hold viewers (LDS or non LDS) with the current lineup of scrapbook shows and Education Week speakers. More recent Church movies and Mormonads as a start. We may need to hire younger, more creative (non Utah) programming staff.

• wwookie
    Sept. 1, 2010 4:55 a.m.

Yeah, BYU just won another national title!

calm down cougar blue, ESPN has no interest in showing BYU vs New Mexico State or BYU vs San Jose State, or BYU versus Utah State, or BYU vs ... (hopefully you get it by now)

Care should always be taken when you are granted what you wish for. Independence brings more options, but they might not be the best options.

• Eddie
    Sept. 1, 2010 4:44 a.m.

@ regis. So now you are a mind reader! Wow! So what am I thinking and what is it that I am going to write? I will wait for your response.

• Wiley Old School
    Sept. 1, 2010 4:30 a.m.

I wonder what the buyout clause is to leave the WCC?

• Veracity
    Sept. 1, 2010 4:29 a.m.

This will be an interesting day reading all of the different ways of the twisted logic, the different crude remarks, the hate spewed forth, the jealous comments and low-life remarks the Ute fans will regurgitate.

The more they write, the more envious they are and always have been.

But remember, it does not matter to us that Utah might become a bottom dweller, we will still support you.

• Utefan
    Sept. 1, 2010 4:20 a.m.

The last act of the farce takes place at the press conference! Moliere would be proud!

• ike
    Sept. 1, 2010 1:28 a.m.

Is it me or does it seem like the media is trying to fuel a controversy where there is none. BYU got independence in football. Good for BYU. The WCC is good in bball. At least as good as the MWC. Other sports will work themselves out. So no controversy.

• BYU_Greg
    Sept. 1, 2010 1:13 a.m.

Let Freedom Ring... YEAH BABY! If we don't win another football game, I can handle it because after this season WE WON'T BE ON THE MOUNTAIN ANYMORE. HALLELUJAH!

This puts BYU in a great position to get $1 Million per game on ESPN for up to 5 games in 2011 (they only get $1.3 Million for the whole season on the Mountain now!) and then jump to the Big 10/14 in 2012. It will become a super conference with a championship, and BYU will have the resume and be in position to join when the opportunity comes.

The other sports will do just fine in the WCC - Basketball with Gonzaga, St Mary's and Loyolla Marymount is not that bad :) The sports the WCC doesn't have don't really need a conference (ie we don't play in the MWC in Vollyball now)

So I see nothing but good coming from this. Can't wait to see the plan unfold.

So the final thing on my Christmas Wish this year is to beat Utah in this last and final showdown as conference rivals :) But even if they don't ... YEAH!!!!

• regis
    Sept. 1, 2010 12:43 a.m.

"Cougar football coach Bronco Mendenhall said he supports the decision by school administrators and is excited about the future."

Whether Bronco really feels that way or not, who knows? I suspect the top brass are putting a lot of pressure on coaches to say the right things publicly, and not rock the boat. I'll bet Bronco, in his more candid moments, expresses a few reservations.

• WWJD
    Sept. 1, 2010 12:25 a.m.

this makes me happy

• FAYM
    Sept. 1, 2010 12:22 a.m.

Number 1

How sad it feels to be alone...

• UteFan24
    Sept. 1, 2010 12:22 a.m.

Before my fellow Ute fans get on here making stupid and arrogant comments about BYU, let me say this:

Congratulations BYU. Independence is better than staying in the MWC. Good luck in your endeavors and I hope to see you on the schedule each year.

Love,

A respectful Ute fan.

• JXD0157
    Sept. 1, 2010 12:11 a.m.

Well the decision has been made. Was it the right one? Only time will tell. I would like to think that it is. Although the football scheduling worries me. Hopefully the rumors about us trying to schedule things with Texas Tech and Clemson are true, and that we can get a long term deal done with Notre Dame.
    ---
    One of the big positives is that as a resident of SoCal I will have the opportunity to watch BYU play in person several times a year since USD, Loyola, and Pepperdine are all in the area.
    ---