Sports

BYU football: Huskies' Locker to test Y. defense

Comments

• truecougar
    Aug. 31, 2010 10:17 p.m.

If Locker is the projected #1 draft pick, why is Washington not ranked in the pre-season?

• worf
    Aug. 31, 2010 1:45 p.m.

Otis, that's fantastic that you know where four teams went for a bowl game! Go ahead and post your address so we can send you a prize. Maybe a poster of hedgehog.

• Otis Spurlock
    Aug. 31, 2010 7:57 a.m.

Sportsfan,

The PAC 10 5th place team plays in the Vegas Bowl. Oregon State was the 5th best team last year based on overall record. Do you know the which bowls the top 4 teams went to last year? I do and they are much, much better and more prestigous than the Vegas Bowl. cheers :)

• KYCoug
    Aug. 31, 2010 6:31 a.m.

Hey Hailstorm! I just got done tripping to Happy Valley and returned with my Cougar Football T-shirt (a $5 steal)for my Akron and UT graduate neighbor who gave me money to buy him a shirt! My non-member, non-BYU fan neighbors know about BYU sports, probably because we invite them to watch the Blue & White every chance we get...and they come willingly and they cheer along with us. I don't know if I agree with BYU's "March to Independence", but the publicity hasn't been negative at all. I would suggest that it has just given us more of a great thing to talk about! Relax and enjoy The Big East. It's a big step down from the REAL football that they play in the SEC. As for me and my house...we'll watch our beloved, always entertaining to watch Cougars and the SEC any day over the boys in coal country!!! Again, relax....its just a game and BYU is a GREAT missionary tool as well! :)

• Veritas Aequitas
    Aug. 30, 2010 11:55 p.m.

Chris B | 5:03 p.m. Aug. 30, 2010
    Articuno,

"TDS will go 4-8 this year IF YOU'RE LUCKY, meanwhile big brother will be marching possibly to a third BCS game(several analysts have predicted it)"

Can we have the name? Cite your source. Or are your analysts "off the record".

Let's see,
    Chris B/HedgeHog is off the record.
    Naval/Otis/COC is off the record.

That's the only two analysts I can think of. Help me out...

Sporting News NCAAF has BYU's decision trending at 5 in the nation...

• Ute Bird Mascot
    Aug. 30, 2010 11:42 p.m.

Ibleedcrimson | 10:09 p.m.

But, we beat them... U can't.

Their a wac team, and they have a better top to bottom athletic program.

If you can't compete in any sport with Utah State but one (football), how are you going to compete in the other sports, especially the ones you have to build from scratch.

You win one MWC title, womens tennis, and get shut out, and USU owns you kids.

How bad is the slaughter really gonna be.

I'm worried for you kids.

Do you realize that in every sport the PAC 12 plays in, the team that would have taken 10th without Utah in 2011, will still end up taking tenth in 2011 with Utah... In ever Pac offered sport.

The U is tied athletically for third in Utah with weber state when it comes to programs.

I feel like a troll, but really, how bad is the implosion going to be on the hill when the crimson club realizes what you have done...

Anyway, good luck in the PAC.. Really, don't embarass the state too bad...

• Ibleedcrimson
    Aug. 30, 2010 10:09 p.m.

I have a question for the Ute fans, but I feel the need to post in on a BYU article, because it seems to be the only articles Ute fans read.

Since USU beat Utah in volleyball today, and will most likely beat Utah in Basketball, how lucky are you that you don't have to play USU in football?

I'll take the bait!!

A lot better that starting every year knowing you're going to have to play them in your WAC/MWC schedule.

Remember you asked!

• GoUtah
    Aug. 30, 2010 10:05 p.m.

@bigdaddy aka "mid-major" fan . . .

Who's the Yner? Your entire post is a Yine. You can Yine all you want. At the end of the day, Utah has the same number of MWC championships as the tds, more bowl victories, two BCS appearances, two BCS wins, two undefeated seasons in six years (25 years for the tds) coach of the year and to cap it off with an invitation to the PAC.

It's clear which school, team, coaching etc. is best.

Try to be more objective rather than wishful thinking.

Let see, what has the tds done recently? Well, we've ruined two conferences and we still don't know what to do.

Good luck this year. You'll need it!

• worf
    Aug. 30, 2010 10:00 p.m.

Top six teams this year.-According to Sports Max.

1. TCU
    2. BYU
    3. Air Force
    4. Utah
    5. New Mexico
    6. Wyoming

• Ute Bird Mascot
    Aug. 30, 2010 8:39 p.m.

• Bigute
    Aug. 30, 2010 7:37 p.m.

Good luck Cougars. Two good OOC games this week that will give us a good idea of what to expect this season for both Utah fans and BYU fans.

Both teams have a lot of question marks on defense and on offense but both programs have HC's who have proven themselves and shown they can deliver the goods year in and year out.

Should be an exciting final year in the MWC. Too bad it won't finish with the Holy War deciding who wins it all (TCU most likely will have that sewn up already).

• Veritas Aequitas
    Aug. 30, 2010 7:10 p.m.

Otis Spurlock | 8:31 a.m. Aug. 30, 2010
    The Sporting News is predicting that Washington will finish in 8th place in the PAC 10 this year:
    .....

I just noticed the the Sporting News has BYU's decision as their #5 story under trending topics...

• Captain L
    Aug. 30, 2010 7:01 p.m.

Re UteExpat: I appreciate your comments. Thanks, That is the way things should be on these sites.

• IdahoFan
    Aug. 30, 2010 6:54 p.m.

If BYU focuses too much on Jake Locker, they might forget 1,000+ returning RB Chris Polk.

• UteExpat
    Aug. 30, 2010 6:06 p.m.

Wow, many of you need to take a hard look in the mirror. Why so much hate? Cool out, men.

BYU should be able to handle UW. Locker is a great talent, but the team is not that great and has not been a good road team the last few years. It will be a nice coming out party for BYU's QBs. It won't be a shock when BYU wins, but they must finish this team off.

BYU has a tough schedule this year, and, just as MWC teams will have a little extra motivation when Utah comes to town, the target on BYU's back is a little bigger with all their talk of independence. It probably won't be their most successful season in terms of wins and losses, but players will get good experience and they should be quite good in the coming years.

Good luck, Cougs--in every game except the last one, of course! It would be fantastic if both BYU and Utah had successful years, making the farewell tour on the Hill even more special this November.

• SportsFan
    Aug. 30, 2010 5:51 p.m.

Otis Spurlock | 8:31 a.m. Aug. 30, 2010

Rank
    1. Oregon 12-0
    2. Oregon State 9-3
    ....
    8. Washington 4-8

If the 2nd place team in the PAC 10 gets crushed by the 2nd place team in the MWC, then that speaks volumes for how good BYU is in football.

BYU 44
    OSU 20

• bigdaddy
    Aug. 30, 2010 5:50 p.m.

@ChrisB

I'll bet you $1000 we do better than 4-8. Since you pump gas for a living I understand it may take several months to earn that much, so I'm willing to take payments.

• bigdaddy
    Aug. 30, 2010 5:40 p.m.

@GoUtah

Haven't even played a game yet and already you're consumed with excuses for losing. Tell me this, are ute fans going to use the same lame excuses this year when they lose badly to Pitt, ND, TCU, AFA, Wyoming, BYU, etc?

Let see...last year ute fans blamed the TCU and BYU loss on the coaching staff switching QB's yet you also credit that move for your big win in the Podunk Bowl over a bad lower tier PAC 10 team. With all of the cavernous holes in your defense this year losing 5 or 6 games for you this year and landing you another 6th place finish in your last season in the MWC, what will you whine about and try to blame it on this time?

• Cougar Claws
    Aug. 30, 2010 5:24 p.m.

The 2008 BYU Defense that went up against Jake Locker was HORRIBLE and it still took the entirety of 4 quarters for the mighty Jake Locker and the dubs to put up 4 touchdowns against BYU. Any decent offensive team would have shredded BYUs defense and the dubs didn't exactly do that. They couldn't even get it done IN SEATTLE, in the death trap stadium.

Another fact: Udub hasn't won a road game in TWO YEARS. Not just a road game against a decent team, a road game PERIOD. Three years ago, they won TWO. One was against the fearsome orange man of Syracuse, and Stanford (which isn't the fairly respectable team it is now).

BYUs defense will never be as rock bottom terrible under Coach Mendenhall as they were in 2008. The only two decent players on that defense at the time were David Nixon (who was the least among an elite group of linebackers from 2007), and Jan Jorgensen. The rest were 2nd string walkons, and defensively they managed to keep Locker under some control. This year, it's true we return only 4 starters, but they are the best 4 from last year.

• KYCoug
    Aug. 30, 2010 5:11 p.m.

• T-Mac
    Aug. 30, 2010 5:10 p.m.

Jake,

Whatever you do, don't celebrate it will cost you the game.

• Chris B
    Aug. 30, 2010 5:03 p.m.

Articuno,

• worf
    Aug. 30, 2010 5:01 p.m.

WOW! Two years in a row the cougars start against a first round NFL quarterback. Maybe against two with Ponder. Where's Colby?

• Cajunzoobie
    Aug. 30, 2010 4:58 p.m.

There is nothing like Game Week!

• Quest for Indy_Wacky
    Aug. 30, 2010 4:19 p.m.

I think BYU will beat UW if they go Indy...lol

• Juice
    Aug. 30, 2010 3:46 p.m.

PureOpinion,

Actually, ESPN's Brent Musburger and Kirk Herbstreit both picked Washington to place 7th this year in the PAC 10. Many sports broadcasters and experts have Washington picked to place 8th in the PAC 10.

Regardless, it should be a close and fun game to watch.

• --BYUTAH--
    Aug. 30, 2010 3:35 p.m.

Otis Spurlock--
    Washington is projected to be in the top 5 in the PAC 10 this season. Not that it matters. The PAC is WEAK!
    BYU destroyed the #2 PAC 10 team in Las Vegas last year.
    Also, just to clear the water here. Bradford was a far better QB than Jake Locker is. And look what BYU Defense did to him last year.

U fans, (Otis) Instead of making pathetic attempts of sounding intelligent and making erratic, hateful claims with no facts to back up. Why dont you bring something valuable to the table? Otherwise you are just making Max Halls "classless" comments. Very accurate.

• PureOpinion
    Aug. 30, 2010 3:27 p.m.

Washington is projected to be #4-5 in the PAC this year by ESPN. UW does have some great athletes and a great QB. But they have just as many if not more questions then BYU does.
    Jake Locker will take a beating from a bigger, faster, and stronger Defense than has been seen at BYU in years. Look for a lot of blitzes and for the D's focus to containing Locker from making plays with his feet. Locker is a really good, strong, and fast runner. But his passing skills are nothing special. Take away his running game and apply some pressure, and he will make mistakes and throw a couple picks. I see BYU pulling this one out.

BYU-31
    UW-17

• MT UTE
    Aug. 30, 2010 3:11 p.m.

Good luck Cougars. I will be cheering for you.

• Captain L
    Aug. 30, 2010 2:51 p.m.

I hate (I hardly ever use that word) all the negative, malicious, bearing false witness, hateful comments on these sites, all you negative commenting posters need to take a look in the mirror and realize how bad these continual negative, bearing false witness, fault finding comments make you look. It needs to stop, it is wrong.
    Rumors aren't facts, if you have facts, I'm all for hearing them but be careful that you are right. I'm really frustrated by all the claims that are not true.

• ArticunoBYU
    Aug. 30, 2010 2:47 p.m.

@ Max-was-right

yeah man! I am wtih you. tired of these ute trolls i absolutely hate them they are classless they are clueless we need to beat them this year and we will silly uties we are headed towards a probable 12-1 or 11-2 at the worst season and they are staring down the barrel of 5-7 or 6-6 if the ball bounces there way

ha ha ha what a bunch of jokers

ha ha uties!

• Apocolypse Cow
    Aug. 30, 2010 2:43 p.m.

I just wanted to wish my new favorite team this week good luck! GO HUSKIES!!!

PS Seriously, if BYU can't handle the 8th ranked PAC 10 team at home, then the PAC 10 is awesome!!!!!!!!!!

• Max-was-right
    Aug. 30, 2010 2:25 p.m.

Leave it to all these ute BEW's to come to the side of UW. Are you little people ute fans or Washington fans? Man how sad is their existance right now.

All this talk reminds me of last year and OK. Remember how fast they ran from the keyboards after that game?

Chance are a lot of red vinyl U's will be scraped out of their windows on Friday morning...

• bigdaddy
    Aug. 30, 2010 2:23 p.m.

@Wedgiepig

"Can the tds defense stop a more ATHLETIC (i.e speed) team?"

Fortunately for BYU, the only teams on their schedule this year that might fit that description are Florida St and TCU. Udub isn't projected to be that great and they have a terrible defense (like Utah's this year) and the rest of the schedule is filled up with typical MWC rabble (i.e., Utah, Wyoming, AFA, UNLV etc...you know...the teams that usually fight it out for 3rd through 6th place).

The only tough games on the schedule will be FSU and TCU. The other MWC teams have so many question marks and holes in their lineups that they're not serious threats. Looks like a lock for another 11 win season, maybe more. As for your Utes, what bowl does the MWC have an agreement with for their 6th place team?

• RR
    Aug. 30, 2010 2:22 p.m.

This is just like the home game vs. Arizona in 2007 when Max Hall took over. Everyone dooming the Cougs due to their new team, and yet Arizona was lucky to even get 7 points.

Duh, you're right on. I don't even feel bad for those whose lives are so full of hate. They choose to live hateful lives. Compare BYU comments to any of our rivals and it's pitiful to see how much more attention is on BYU's. I'm predicting crickets Friday morning on the Ute blogs.

• Captain L
    Aug. 30, 2010 2:18 p.m.

Hedgehog: You have never answered my question, why is it you hate BYU so much?

Hailstorm: What did BYU do to you to cause you to be so negative? If your LDS, why are you showing such bitterness towards the churches school?
    If you are going to make such negative, critical, faultfinding statements, you need to back them up, who is it that hates BYU and won't play them? Where did you get your info that BYU's coaches or Holmoe have been arrogant and made remarks that would support your ridiculous comments. The only place you will have read that is from fans or haters. Get your facts straight.

A BYU win is not going to be easy, Washington should be much better than alot of people are giving them credit for and Locker is very good. Mobile quarterbacks always give BYU trouble.
    There are alot of unknowns regarding BYU and it is hard to know how well they will play. QB is such an important position for the Y and the D has alot of unproven players at critical positions. If the D can dominate the game like they did against the Sooners, we can win.

• kiapolo
    Aug. 30, 2010 2:15 p.m.

Great comment Otis, always nice to see a Utah troll, why should BYU worry about the potential #1 NFL draft pick for quarterback? Also, #8 rank in the Pac-10? Where are you getting your information. The huskies are going to be top 4 in the pac-10 this year.

• kiapolo
    Aug. 30, 2010 2:13 p.m.

• Otis Spurlock
    Aug. 30, 2010 1:32 p.m.

Why are BYU fans so scared of the 8th ranked team in the PAC 10? I guess the PAC 10 is a pretty formidable conference!

• BYU in Tucson
    Aug. 30, 2010 1:25 p.m.

I can see this game like the 2007 game at UCLA. When the cougars out-ganed the bruins out hit them and out played them but some how lost. BYU was a little wide-eyed and made some dumb mistakes and turnovers. It took a 2 quarters for them to believe they could win. When BYU was going for the go ahead score Max took a blindside hit and coughed it up. The only way BYU loses at home is if its a close game and an unexperienced qb throws a pick at the worst moment. If BYU does lose it will sting.

• patriot
    Aug. 30, 2010 1:11 p.m.

this is going to be a repeat of Florida State last year

• Duh
    Aug. 30, 2010 1:03 p.m.

Oh come on people, what a bunch of moronic and pathetic postings by BYU haters, their rhetoric is becoming sooooooo boring. BYU is in a building year, I truly beleive they will have at least 4 loses. Who cares who they come from. They should be the underdog in at least 5 games so, if they win, kudos. I don't expect them to go undefeated but I do expect them to have at least 8 wins. If they do better, I will be satisfied but BYU doesn't just roll over and die. They will make it a fight no matter what. And it's the BYU haters that would do anything to ensure BYU gets no victories. Good thing I am not a Utah hater in that aspect. I respect them, I do not like them but I respect them and Coach Whittingham is an excellent coach who by the way is a BYU graduate. Every game with him will always be a fight and the outcome is not known until the end of the game. GO BYU.

• kge
    Aug. 30, 2010 12:46 p.m.

Should be a good matchup to assess BYU youth ... I'll take Wasington as a slight favorite as the cougs are at home.

• dutgut
    Aug. 30, 2010 12:40 p.m.

Interesting that if you replace the name Locker with Bradford and the school Washington with Oklahoma, you get the exact same Ute preseason comments about BYU as last year.
    "Can the tds defense stop a more ATHLETIC (i.e speed) team?", etc, etc.
    Please remind me again how BYU did against all that speed, athleticism and the leading Heisman Trophy candidate and future Number 1 draft pick.

• Tornado
    Aug. 30, 2010 12:19 p.m.

To TheHailstorm..... I also live on the eastern seaboard in a major souteastern city where football is serious business... you'd be surprised by the amount of airtime and press BYU gets... BYU's Team Scores and actions are followed by many... imagine if true football fans could actually see some of our games?
    You might want to tone down you obvious negative bias against BYU's program... you are sounding quite bitter... we must have thrashed your favorite team recently..?

• Where's Stockton ???
    Aug. 30, 2010 12:02 p.m.

It's going to be a whole different ballgame this time around. Byu's supposed formidable defense back in 2008 had their hands full with Jake the last time and were lucky to come out with a win. It's no wonder Locker is probably the leading Heisman candidate going into 2010. He showed the tenacity to not quit and practically handed the Cougars their lunch all by himself. Steve Sarkeisian having had time to work and recruit with this present Huskie Team ought to be making a big difference in the PAC...I smell comeback for the Huskies....But will be cheering for the Cougars

• TheHailstorm
    Aug. 30, 2010 11:23 a.m.

Remember Bronco blasting the PAC10 officials after the UCLA game in L.A.?
    He didn't win any friends that day and if they Yners lose at LES on Saturday will they blame the turf or the officials? Probably neither since they've worn those out.
    I am amazed at the vanity and egocentric attitude of the students, Coaching staff and Tom Holmo believing that any school is just going to drop what they are doing and either join BYU in a conference or play them 1-1.
    I am LDS and here on the Eastern seaboard no one cares about YBU.
    Boston College , yesssss, Rutgers --you bet-- West Virginia.. Pitt .. oh yeah.
    All byu did was put off a lot conferences and the P.R. they so desperately sought backfired and left a lot of teams and coaches with disgust at BYU"s ill planned actions this August. These last few chaotic weeks did not help the teams ,(or the churches) credibility.. just the opposite.

• Idaho Coug
    Aug. 30, 2010 11:12 a.m.

On one hand, it is a plus that our defense has been practicing against a good runner in Riley and passer in Jake. On the other hand, I don't recall they stopped Riley that often and my guess is that Locker is a MUCH better runner than Riley. But we do have a much more athletic defense overall than usual so given the d's chance to practice against the run and their athleticism, I guess we are as prepared as possible for Locker.

Given that WA's d has practiced so extensively against Locker, I'm not sure our two-headed QB will come as quite the challenge it may against others.

• longgone
    Aug. 30, 2010 11:00 a.m.

The University of Washington has been decimated by poor coaching and some terrible years. Don't forget that this school has, historically, been a strong presence in football in the PAC. Their new coach, and staff, will bring them up quickly and their first step is to beat BYU. I am an alumni of both schools and look forward to a great game. I'll be watching from

• MAFU
    Aug. 30, 2010 10:51 a.m.

Number 10 will take a page out of the Brock Huard playbook and lead the Purple & Gold to victory at the Cougar Rameumpton this Saturday.

Remember Coug's, the UW team that went winless two years ago took the the Quest for Perfection squad down to the wire. I'm sure that loss and the bogus celebration penalty will be on the mind of Mr. Locker this Saturday.

MUSH!

• dakuwaqa
    Aug. 30, 2010 10:29 a.m.

My guess is that the PAC10 officials will keep the game close...but anyone thinking Locker is not a good QB has not watched ANY football the past few years. Why would he be projected as the #1 QB taken if he wasn't any good? Nice thought process goofballs!

• CaseyA
    Aug. 30, 2010 9:50 a.m.

GoUtah,

Nice win in Provo last year ... uh ... I mean in Ft. Worth ... um ...well, anyway nice season. I hope the Pac-10 doesn't decide to listen to the former UCLA chancelor and change its mind about you guys.

• BigYak14
    Aug. 30, 2010 9:47 a.m.

@GoUtah

Who is WU? You must not really be in to sports to think UW is WU. Typical bubble utah yewt who lives at home and takes 9 years to finish school

• TheHailstorm
    Aug. 30, 2010 9:41 a.m.

"(Locker) is usually the fastest guy on the field, including everybody,"
    HUH ??
    Great quote from Mr. Helmet to Helmet.

• Flaming Liberal
    Aug. 30, 2010 9:34 a.m.

Could someone please translate what Bronko said into comprehensible statements?

• GoUtah
    Aug. 30, 2010 9:29 a.m.

@Troll Hunter

So. . . you say Locker is overrated. What will be your excuse when the tds gets thumped by WU? There shouldn't be any excuses, right?

@Otis Spurlock

So . . . if a "predicted" 8th place PAC team beats the tds, what will be your excuse; the officials, as usual?

@Max-was-right

Why don't you change your screen name as "Hater?"

• GD
    Aug. 30, 2010 9:18 a.m.

We were lucky to win the last time we played. Washington won't finish last as some predict. The Y will be in a dog fight. I hope I'm wrong but I think Washington wins by a touchdown or more.

• SoCalTrueBlue
    Aug. 30, 2010 8:56 a.m.

This game is winnable. It usually takes the offense a few games under a new quarterback to start clicking, and with 2 new quarterbacks, I don't see that changing. BYU's defense will rise to the occasion, with the defensive backfield shining. I predict BYU wins 27-21.

• Troll Hunter
    Aug. 30, 2010 8:41 a.m.

Locker is overrated as a quarterback, this is a guy that should have played tightend in college. I really think BYU should do just fine against Locker and should come out the winner in a close one. 24-20 is my prediction.

• Otis Spurlock
    Aug. 30, 2010 8:31 a.m.

Rank
    1. Oregon 12-0
    2. Oregon State 9-3
    3. Stanford 9-3
    4. Arizona 7-5
    5. California 7-5
    6. UCLA 5-7
    7. USC 8-5
    8. Washington 4-8

If BYU can't beat the 8th ranked team in the PAC 10 at home, then that speaks volumes for how good the Conference of Champions really is in football!!

• hedgehog
    Aug. 30, 2010 8:24 a.m.

Yea, Locker is good… real good.

Can the tds defense stop a more ATHLETIC (i.e speed) team? It’s a forgone conclusion that the tds will lose this game. What may surprise is the total points tds gives up

The number? 58

• EdGrady
    Aug. 30, 2010 7:49 a.m.

Remind me of U-Dub's record with Locker taking the snaps.

• RR
    Aug. 30, 2010 7:44 a.m.

I like BYUs chance of stopping Locker. When coaches have a long time to study a team, they can be very good at stopping certain players. Look at what they did to those stellar RBs from Oregon State. Look at how they limited Bradford to under 100 yards passing in 2 quarters. BYU will be ready, but Locker will be far better than the last time we played him. Still, BYU has most advantages in this game. Washington lost all their away games last year. If they beat BYU, it will be a new for Washington. The last time they won on the road was in 2007.

Also, last year the most Locker ran on the road was 33 yards vs. ND. Many of those road teams had less than stellar defenses. Keep him from running and hold him to under 300 yards passing and BYU will be fine.

• wwookie
    Aug. 30, 2010 5:25 a.m.

This will be the game to show whether the cougars are going to be horrible or above average. The Huskies will continue to have a below average team this year (look for next year to be a breakout season for them).
    A sound win will indicate BYU will not be a below average team. A Loss however, will not only indicate that the cougars are below average, it will show that they will probably end up in the bottom third of the MWC. Not a good thing if the cougars want to go independent.
    The MWC teams this year are mostly improving over last year and it will be a tough conference. Dont think that UNM, Wyoming, SDSU and Air Force will be easy wins. CSU and UNLV could also beat any team that loses to the huskies.
    Curious to see how my home citys team does in the opener. Good luck, I hope you can help maintain the respect the MWC has been receiving after Utahs and TCUs continued successes.

• Max-was-right