Utah Utes football go big with choices for captains

• True Ute
    Aug. 29, 2010 8:51 p.m.

Not only are there a LOT OF LDS Utes fans, but there are a LOT of LDS Ute players. Why would it be about hating Mormons when Utah's team is made up of them?

• GoUtah
    Aug. 29, 2010 8:13 p.m.

@ute alumni

"To me, it has become more of a hate Mormons and less about schools rivalry."

The majority of Utah fans are LDS. The rivalry has more to do with hypocrisy.

Work on that for a while.

• CCS
    Aug. 29, 2010 6:00 a.m.

I can't believe the vitriol from both sides! Having played a lot of sports as probably most readers have, I can't remember ever wanting to see or be a part of any opponents career being over by injury. So to wish that on Asiata or any player is worse than inappropriate. It's also wrong to continually see posts go to the 'religion card'. I know there are many non LDS Cougar fans and many LDS Utes. Why do some have to create havoc for all? I enjoy reading posts that give me additional info I can work with. Not hate speak that makes my stomach turn.

• SoCalUte
    Aug. 28, 2010 11:49 p.m.

@ Ute Alumni If you are so proud to bleed blue and then say "Go Ducks" and hate the U so badly, then why do you sign on as "ute alumni"?
    And......By the way, I DO NOT HATE MORMONS, I am one.
    I choose to be a UTE fan rather than a 'holier than thou' Y fan.
    It is not about hating anyone, it is about calling you out when you pretend to be a Ute fan, but obviously are not.

GO UTES!!!!!

• WestCoast1
    Aug. 28, 2010 11:44 p.m.

"ute alumni",

You are a fraud. You've tried to pick up on every negative stereotype perpetuated out there against the University of Utah. You also give yourself away with your closing support of Oregon. You are the same guy who calls himself "UtahDoesNotBelonginthePAC10" who writes the same garbage in the Salt Lake Tribune.

If you're going to trash the local Utah teams, please do not write in on their newspapers.

• Nostradamus
    Aug. 28, 2010 6:58 p.m.

This should be a great year. The Utes look to have great leadership, talent and class. Thanks guys for working so hard and making this great sport so fun.

Who in their right mind would dis the hair style? Who in their right mind would 'predict' Asiata's future health (which reads to me like he/she/it was wishing for Asiata to be injured)? Nice try on defense though "ute alumni"...

Why do we post more on the BYU articles...well, it's just so much fun...every once in a while a few BYU fans actually drop into the Ute blogs (nice to see you broadening your insular view of the world) -- make some really lame comments and spice up the fun on this side. Thanks...I'd much rather read the banter here.

• hedgehog
    Aug. 28, 2010 6:50 p.m.

I suspect " ute alumni" (can you get more obvious) is a tds troll.

Come on TDS, you're showing the understandable insecruity by pretending to be a Ute.

• ute alumni
    Aug. 28, 2010 6:22 p.m.

@ socalute:
    Is there something that says because you are a Utah grad that you can't be a Cougar fan? I remember many years when you couldn't give ute tickets away. Now for the last few years they have had some success, great. I stopped going to u games (I had scholarship box tickets for years) when at the end of a game a "u" fan urinated on the field. That was it for me. Good luck utes. I wish you the best. Unfortunately, the administration refuses to acknowledge that, although they are in the minority, some u "fans" have turned many u alumni from supporting their athletics. To me, it has become more of a hate Mormons and less about schools rivalry.
    Go ducks!

• SoCalUte
    Aug. 28, 2010 5:54 p.m.

@ Ute alumni Are you a closet cewg fan? First you bang on Asiata for his hair style, then you bang on the comment about cougarnates comments. Better take off you colored glasses, your TRUE (blue) colors are showing.

• ute alumni
    Aug. 28, 2010 5:15 p.m.

cougarnate didn't say he wanted him hurt, just based on his track record he will most likely get hurt. ute fans, take a deep breath and relax. it appears some knuckheads that happen to ute fans will go to any length to try and pick a fight. Grow up and find something else to talk about.

• Ken
    Aug. 28, 2010 4:55 p.m.

Want to know what's even funnier? Two of the supposed best players to ever play at tds: harvey unga and max hall

Let's recap on their status

harvey - hurt knee, done for season(career)
    max - cut by cardinals

• Chadders
    Aug. 28, 2010 4:01 p.m.

Wow 10 comments the Ute fans really care

• MenaceToSociety
    Aug. 28, 2010 3:56 p.m.

Very classy, Cougarboy. Tradition, spirit, honor, right buddy? Keep living right on & off the field.

Cougar fans wonder why they're so disliked....

• SportzFan
    Aug. 28, 2010 3:15 p.m.

I stand with nearly all Cougar fans and I wish all their players good health.

• bgl
    Aug. 28, 2010 2:29 p.m.

Cougarnate--although I'll probably be pulling against your team every week, and certainly in late November--I hope every one of the TDS players remains healthy and that they are at full strength to meet the Utes. I would never wish or hope for harm for any young athlete. But then, I'm a Ute. You would represent your school and your program much better--by thinking before you post.

• Thlete
    Aug. 28, 2010 11:53 a.m.

Cougarnate, that was about the most classless thing to say. What did Asiata ever do to you? Don't you hope he can be successful and go on to an NFL career to support his wife and children? Sicko.

• Mid-Major Cougars
    Aug. 28, 2010 11:32 a.m.

...Asiata will be hurt by game six, and his career will be over...

Wishing someone hurt is being mentally sick.
    I hope your father is proud of you for I believe you may have other goodness in you.
    I hope you can look straight into your God's eyes next time you dare to...whomever your God may be.

Aug. 28, 2010 9:34 a.m.

Asiata will be hurt by game six, and his career will be over.

• WestCoast1
    Aug. 28, 2010 9:27 a.m.

You guys rock! Good luck in your opener against Pitt this Thursday. Also, have a great season! Finish out your business in your last year in the MWC, then on to bigger and better things in the PAC 12.

Go Utes!!

• ute alumni
    Aug. 28, 2010 9:18 a.m.

I like the smiles.....wow, they must be tough. One problem is the ponytail, pigtails would look better. I do hope that the utes do pound Pitt, though.

• SoCalUtahFan
    Aug. 28, 2010 9:02 a.m.

Advices for TDS...don't mess with these guys!

Go Utes!!!

• JDS1
    Aug. 28, 2010 2:28 a.m.

Really, the season opener against Pitt and the best we can do is Versus. This is an ESPN caliber game. At least next year it will be as a member of the PAC 12.

Aug. 27, 2010 11:17 p.m.

Utes rock! So proud off our guys. Seeing what Cox is doing helps us little people believe. We are hungry and ready to hit em in the mouth. Can't wait for Pitt!! Go Utes!!