Utah

Jeb Bush tells Utah educators how to improve schools

Comments

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 10, 2010 10:24 p.m.

Standardized testing have many loopholes. A school can shuffle students with different classifications to have the test not averaged with the others or have its difficulty watered down. This improves a schools report card. The state annually changes the score determining passing and failing. They also change the difficulty of the tests. Has Jeb Bush indicated a passing score needed for his state tests? Many states require 40 to 50 percent correct answers to be considered passing. With four choices per question, a student should receive a minimum twenty five. Add a steady diet of test taking stategies which extends to after school tutoring,--it becomes difficult knowing how much learning is taking place.

With a high percentage of people living off of government assistance, what does it say of our educational system?

Like the mismangement of American tax money and foreign trade deals, our legislatures and political law makers scored low with education. Perhaps education should be turned over to local communities. Perhaps schools should test less and teach more.

• Larry
    Aug. 26, 2010 2:54 p.m.

You can not teach People to be teachers, They are Born to be Teachers.
    As a kid 60 years ago, I was bord with school, Being taught stuff that I was not interested in.
    Stuff I did not ever expect to use in life, School really is a waste of time, Today seems to be Money as well.
    Remember one size does not fit all!

• Charles History
    Aug. 26, 2010 9:19 a.m.

Re: "HereWeGoAgain"

Thanks for the information - sorry to say some of out sate leaders will not listen.

• HereWeGoAgain
    Aug. 25, 2010 6:37 p.m.

Fair Warning! Jeb Bush is an expert in fabricating lies and fleecing the public. Schools in Floriduh rank 38 they are not in the top. I have lived in Floriduh since 1965. Bush is the worst governor in FL ever! He vetoed class size amendment against the will of the voters. Bush defied a FL Supreme Court ruling that vouchers were unconstitutional. Bush only has profit on his agenda. His brother Neil owns IGNITE Learning, see Rotten Apples Award for the details. McGraw family of McGraw-Hill textbooks and tests are old family friends. Don't forget tests and results can be manipulated to favor any opinion. Why are kindergarden children expected to take tests? The St. Pete Times had a link to this article you may want to read.

• Charles History
    Aug. 25, 2010 4:55 p.m.

Some teachers this year are dealing with 40+ students.
    (Every teacher should give the individual attention that each student requires?)

But do not worry we do not need any more money for education in this state - we will just pay a "bush" to come here and give us a pep talk.

I wonder how much money per student in Florida they pay for education?

• Charles History
    Aug. 25, 2010 4:24 p.m.

Some teachers this year are dealing with 40+ students.

I wonder how much money per student in Florida they pay for education?

• Pagan
    Aug. 25, 2010 4:17 p.m.

'Cameron | 3:59 p.m. Aug. 25, 2010
    Pagan, the article we're commenting on is about Jeb Bush.'

Ah, so I should know what an anonomys poster is thinking?
    Let's pretend I do not have that ability.
    The reason we use the written word is for that reason.

As the source in question, 1Observer, has not clarified, your assumption is just that.

An assumption.

Or are you trying to say there is only one Bush?

But even you have to admit, $53 billion added to the US's education system would help, wouldn't it?

I think so.

• Cameron
    Aug. 25, 2010 3:59 p.m.

Pagan, the article we're commenting on is about Jeb Bush.

• Pagan
    Aug. 25, 2010 3:42 p.m.

'Cameron | 3:13 p.m. Aug. 25, 2010
    Uh Pagan, I'm pretty sure Observer was talking about the education results JEB Bush got in Florida while he was governor.'

Well, then he should have said as much. Making vauge Bush refferences could mean Bush Sr. for all we know. There is more than one.

• Utah Dem
    Aug. 25, 2010 3:29 p.m.

I think some of JEB Bush's ideas are worth looking into but I have lived long enough in Utah to know the legislature will not be high on the bonus concept. Of course, when Bush was Flordia's governor the economy was quite different.

I am curious though as to why Florida, according to Bush, is doing so well but also applied and won Race to the Top (RTTT) money from the feds.

• Cameron
    Aug. 25, 2010 3:13 p.m.

• Pagan
    Aug. 25, 2010 11:44 a.m.

1Observer | 11:20 a.m. Aug. 25, 2010
    'Make fun of Bush all you want but he got results.'

'Audit: US can't account for $8.7B in Iraqi funds' - By Tarek El-tablawy - AP - Published by DSNews - 07/27/10

Line:
    'The funds are separate from the $53 billion allocated by Congress for rebuilding Iraq.'

'Spending more money isn't an idea of merit. It doesn't necessarily yield improved results.' - 1Observer | 11:20 a.m.

*"According to a Congressional Budget Office (CBO) report published in October 2007, the U.S. wars in Iraq and Afghanistan could cost taxpayers a total of $2.4 trillion dollars by 2017 when counting the huge interest costs because combat is being financed with borrowed money. The CBO estimated that of the $2.4 trillion long-term price tag for the war, about $1.9 trillion of that would be spent on Iraq, or $6,300 per U.S. citizen."

• Cameron
    Aug. 25, 2010 11:34 a.m.

The 3rd grade reading proficiency advancement requirement sounds good in theory, but could result in huge class sizes in grades 1-3. When she introduced her bill last session, Senator Morgan said 20% of third graders don't read at grade level. If even half of those students are held back it will mean even larger class sizes than the already overcrowded ones we have now. This is especially concerning because it is those early grades when class size matters the most to student achievement.

• 1Observer
    Aug. 25, 2010 11:20 a.m.

Make fun of Bush all you want but he got results. So far I haven't seen the critics offer up any ideas for student improvement that have real merit. (just a lot of complaining about parents, the legislature, etc.) Spending more money isn't an idea of merit. It doesn't necessarily yield improved results. During the 1990's, Utah saw record increases in ed funding while test scores remained flat.

I have to laugh at those who say we shouldn't teach to the test. What does that mean? Students are tested every week in one form or another. If they aren't being taught the information on the test, how do they pass it?

As for the education establishment, they know about the flat test score results in Utah but I have yet to see any real creative ideas come from the UEA, USOE, USSBA, PTA, etc. It seems like everyone runs from student achievement because it equates to accountability. It is easy to pass off poor results because of our dubious distinction of the lowest per pupil spending. But does that mean we just quit? Or do we dare to try something new?

• Otis Spurlock
    Aug. 25, 2010 11:12 a.m.

Jeb Bush can speak? Who knew?

• Clarissa
    Aug. 25, 2010 10:22 a.m.

One other thing: If I don't teach to the test, what am I teaching? Information on Outer Mongolia? I don't get to see the tests until the end of the year and they are kept under lock and key. I teach the core concepts which is teaching to the test. Whoever took a class in high school and college and didn't study the information taught in that class? The teacher lets the students know what is required and all of the questions come from information taught in that class. Don't kids practice to pass their ACTs or SATs? It would be different if I could see the questions before the test, but I can't, so therefore I can't help the children cheat by using example questions to help them do so. So please explain to me how I can teach to the test? By the way, I wouldn't do so even if I was able to see the tests ahead of time. It's called integrity.

• my 2 cents worth
    Aug. 25, 2010 10:06 a.m.

Yeah, let's grade the schools. And anyone who has the money to get their kids to a different school if they don't like it, can. That leaves the kids whose parents can't afford to take their own kids elsewhere, or who are at work when the kids need to go and come back, in the failing school.

Can you say discrimination?

Politicians think they know more than the general public, and especially more than the educators in the trenches. Every politico who wants to do something about education should be required to spend a week in a "failing" school first---and see why poverty, language difficulties, class size, lack of parental support and lack of funding are the real issues.

• Not_Scared
    Aug. 25, 2010 9:45 a.m.

This is my liberal take.

When I was last visiting Germany, my friends took half a day to go over their girl's school work. They took interest in the education of their kids. They knew their kids teachers.

Here kids grown up in intellectual deprivation at home. Parents never cultivated a rich English vocabulary. The kids go to monster truck events and not libraries or museums. There are few books in the home because the parents never read.

It's Fox News and football and rarely something educational on TV. Kids are bought ATV's and X-boxes but, money is rarely allocated to buy books, travel to see other cultures or for educational expenses.

School have become child care centers. Parents save money letting the government watch their kids. The parents, who don't show any interest in education, think their kids will be magically transformed without parental involvement. It's this culture of parental entitlement, where kids are tax credits and deductions and the money to educate kids is extracted from the labor of others that has caused much of this problem.

It's easier to blame liberals and unions.

• jotab
    Aug. 25, 2010 9:01 a.m.

Several comments here mentioned, "I hate the UEA", "schools have gradually deteriorated since unions came in", etc., with no evidence or supporting details. I don't understand the venom.

The UEA doesn't hire or fire a single educator. They have never set one curriculum standard or passed one education law or policy. They have not funded or underfunded one district or school, nor have they set one tax in the state.

They have tried to influence better educationl environments for students and educators for over a century.

Yes, they have been around for 100 years, so I guess schools have been deteriorating since at least 1910.

• Pagan
    Aug. 25, 2010 8:59 a.m.

*’Utah last in U.S. in spending per pupil — again.’ — By Molly Farmer and Lee Davidson — 06/29/10 — DSNews

Line:
    ‘The census found that Utah schools spend on average $5,765 per student in 2007-08. Idaho was second-lowest at $6,931 — but that was still 20 percent higher than what was spent in Utah.’

• raybies
    Aug. 25, 2010 8:51 a.m.

I like the idea that children should be proficient readers by 3rd grade or they don't advance.

• Charles History
    Aug. 25, 2010 8:50 a.m.

Some teacher this year are dealing with 40+ students.
    But do not worry we do not need any more money for education in this state - we will just pay a bush to come here and give us a pep talk.

I wonder how much money per student in Florida they pay for education?

• Carolyn Sharette
    Aug. 25, 2010 8:48 a.m.

For clarification, my organization is American Preparatory Schools and didn't have anything to do with flying Governor Bush out here. We currently have 2 schools, one with 70% of the students who are economically disadvantaged and over 50% are minority students. We are in the trenches, working to try to fix this problem of minority underachievement.

Our other school is in Draper. We have 30 students per class (or more) at our schools, but we do break into small classes for reading, spelling and mathematics instruction which is key. Having a large class for other subjects doesn't seem to impact our academic success. Last year 3 grades in our Draper school achieved 100% proficiency on the state language arts test (2nd, 7th and 8th) meaning 100% of our students mastered the content for their grade level. 100% of our Alg 1 students achieved mastery; 100% of our Geometry students achieved mastery.

We are working to bring this kind of success to our students in West Valley and are seeking to learn from those who have succeeded. Yesterday's lunch was an opportunity for us to learn more about how we can help our students succeed.

• utah guy
    Aug. 25, 2010 7:34 a.m.

@Carolyn

"We know what works. We just don't have the will to implement it. And it doesn't cost more money. It is just a matter of will. Let's work on that - if we find the will, success will follow."

How much did your organization pay to fly Jeb Bush out here to give a pep talk? I'm sure he doesn't come cheap. Is that one of those things that works?

• Merry
    Aug. 25, 2010 6:36 a.m.

Class size does affect learning--example--we lived in Washington state where are older children wrote 3-4 papers during the fall of 9th grade. We were transferred to Utah and my younger children were required to write only 1 paper that first semester of 9th grade--why--teachers don't want to read 3-4 four papers written by 35 plus students--smaller classes more writing!!! Get it!

• My2Cents
    Aug. 25, 2010 5:08 a.m.

Not likely to happen in Utah, it would mean giving up some funds by every school. Utah does not believe in education but it does believe in manipulation of data for desired results to get money, and lots of it. And this proposal will offer new avenues of data manipulation. Utah education will never agree to holding back children to learn to read, do math, or graduating. Education is a game of fiscal adaptations for financial gains, and they don't gain but lose for every child held back because of not learning.

Children in schools are treated like a mark on a chart and if they learn anything that's secondary. Money comes first, education is just collateral achievements which only a few can obtain. Federal standards of eduction are so far out in left field it why no child gets an education. Education is based on federal funding indoctrination standards, not learning or a full education.

Education standards should be based on learning, not federal standards for funding. And this is all this Bush guy is doing. Federal standards deserve and F, not the schools.

• Veritas Aequitas
    Aug. 25, 2010 1:16 a.m.

To boost student performance, Bush supplied schools with reading coaches to help teachers who "didn't know how to teach literacy."
    ===

Dang, and most Utah schools had to let their reading specialists go, because it was important to the legislature and taxpayers that everyone "feel the pain".

• Lloyd Hansen
    Aug. 25, 2010 12:05 a.m.

our schools need help Lets try Jebs Ideas What have we got to lose We could be surprised by the results. Our schools have Gradually deteriorated since the Unions came in. Lets not punish our Students any longer. Some of the comments have been really selfish We can do better
    I believe Moracle's coments were very good We need more accountability by everyone

• lisa`1234
    Aug. 24, 2010 11:51 p.m.

Just two more things. NCLB is a flawed piece of work. Also before taking things at face value do some research and dig deeply before making snap decisions. I would not be posting my complete displeasure with the Florida school system if I hadnt lived through it myself and I can promise you a GREAT many kids in Florida are private school educated. It is a southern tradition, if families can afford it they do it. Take a vacation to Florida and talk to the parents perhaps things are better now. Could definately not have gotten any worse.

• lisa`1234
    Aug. 24, 2010 11:44 p.m.

Oh my this has really hit a nerve for me. I lived in Florida under Mr J Bush. It was a nightmare. This pass/fail 3rd grade issue had children who should be in 5th grade stuck in 3rd. It didnt matter what grades they had retention (held back) was based solely on TESTS. A staight B student could be retained. I had teachers come to me and quietly suggest I home school or private school my children. Morale was very low among teachers. One of my kids teachers literally walked off the job with no notice! Teacher conference was degrading for the parents. We were subjected to information without being allowed to ask intelligent questions. I am a Republican voter with conservative leanings but wow did I question NCLB. It was the most demeaning experience to be told I didnt have ANY say in my childrens education, and yes I was told that. I am a educated, calm, member of society but that day I blew it and withdrew all 5 of my kids and told my Husband we were on a trek back to UTAH with our WONDERFULLY overcrowded self sacrificing underpaid teachers.

• cdmom
    Aug. 24, 2010 11:44 p.m.

If class size does not matter, then why do Charter Schools in Utah limit their class sizes to around 25 students and claim that it is better for their student's learning. If class size doesn't matter then the district size shouldn't matter either. Instead of dividing districts let's make large districts, at least countywide districts. We could save money on district administrations and other district office staff that way. We might even look at a statewide district and let the State Office of Education be the administration.

Instead of listening to politicians, district and charter administrators, Parents for Choice, and other groups, maybe we should be asking TEACHERS what works, what doesn't, what they would like to change, and what they actually need and dream of having in the classrooms in technology, texts, and tests. Teachers who are currently teaching, not former teachers or administrators. Ask those with current knowledge.

• GQ Monkee
    Aug. 24, 2010 10:20 p.m.

I have a problem with public funds going to pay for private schools; however, I don't have a problem with holding schools accountable. As an educator, I see two important things ignored by many of the detractors here: student accountability and results.

1. Students are not advanced with their peer group but according to their abilities. Much time and money is wasted every year trying to teach 4th grade to 9th graders.

2. Whatever Florida did worked, and we're not just talking about standardized tests.

• Carolyn Sharette
    Aug. 24, 2010 10:05 p.m.

The lunch today was an opportunity for those of us who realize there is a problem (low student achievement, particularly among our minority students) to hear from someone who led a state to success in educating those students.

It is surprising that many are offended by Florida's success, reject it and are not willing to step up to help find the solutions.

If you have the answers, please implement them and help our students. If you don't have the answers, perhaps attending these types of forums where people who have succeeded can share how they did it would be a good idea.

We need thousands of Utahns to get interested, get informed, and get working on this challenge. We must learn to understand our failures and be willing to implement strategies of PROVEN success. Education isn't rocket science - it really isn't terribly complex. We know what works. We just don't have the will to implement it. And it doesn't cost more money. It is just a matter of will. Let's work on that - if we find the will, success will follow.

• Pro Education
    Aug. 24, 2010 9:38 p.m.

Would it help you if you knew that Jeb Bush and a paid for luncheon for many of the 300 touted as attending was funded by "Parents for Choice". A new angle at an old idea of "vouchers".

• James G.
    Aug. 24, 2010 9:05 p.m.

I used to live in Florida under then Governor Bush, and let me start by saying that he is the smarter brother.

I have seen the public results of this program in place. It forces the community and the state to get involved in the performance of each and every school. It also make each school individually accountable. I've seen average schools get to exceptional, and failing schools to get average.

If the school faile to improve you as parents get to decide which school that you would like to send your child to. Once you've made that decision, then the state funding for your child will go to that school instead of the one locally in your school district that is failing.

The better schools get more money from the state to help continue the current level of performance of the school.

• jp3
    Aug. 24, 2010 8:37 p.m.

At the junior high where I teach, my English students scored in the 93rd percentile on the CRTs this past year--we just received our results. Does this ever make news? Not a bloody chance. Utah schools, including mine, are succeeding, despite the meddling of inept politicians who want to see us fail so they can promote their ideologies. Don't believe everything you read in the media, folks.

• Instereo
    Aug. 24, 2010 7:21 p.m.

It's great to have ideas about how to improve education but I wonder if we spent as much per student in Utah as they did in Florida what our results would be. I'd venture to say Utah would have better results.

To mandate all the changes Bush implemented without increased funding would be another insult to our teachers from the legislature who seem to like to insult educators.

• the cat nextdoor
    Aug. 24, 2010 7:16 p.m.

Class size doesn't matter? Crazy!! School Choice? Utah has it (open enrollments, charter, home schools, online, concurrent enrollment, private). Teaching to the test? Not a good teaching practice and NOT education. Really, this is about minor politicians listening to big shot politicians from their political party instead of students, parents, and educators.

• Moracle
    Aug. 24, 2010 6:45 p.m.

When people are held accountable for their performance, performance improves for the majority; and the minority, unwilling to improve, should leave the establishment requiring accountability, which is also an improvement.

Few like to be held accountable, and that's the reason we have so much mediocrity in our educational and other government-run institutions.

Where there is no accountability, we tend to get lazy and perform more poorly than we should. It's called "human nature"; although there are some sterling characters who consistently try to do their best, supervised or not.

Years ago, I worked as a telemarketer for extra income. There was also an elementary school teacher working for extra money. Her grammar and pronunciation of our English language was so terrible, I silently gave thanks that she was not a teacher of any child of mine.

There simply MUST be a standard to which our teachers are held, if they are to continue teaching. Our children do not deserve being cheated out of an education, because their teacher didn't have one.

I wonder how many comments opposing accountability for students and teachers are from those in the field of education?

• Andy
    Aug. 24, 2010 6:33 p.m.

I support choice, hate the UEA and I believe it is my responsibility, as well as my wife's, to educate my children. The school can supplement, but they can't substitute.

I am certainly not so far removed from my time at Brighton High to recall of my experience as sanguine, my teachers as "noble" or to believe that the education was glorious. Most of my teachers were there to punch a clock and cared as much about teaching as they did about what they wore to work. There were exceptions, but the better part were union members first educators second.

My kids attend public schools and I make sure I teach them what they need to know to make the grade.

• Lifelong Republican
    Aug. 24, 2010 6:24 p.m.

How much did it cost Florida to run this program?

I would be interested in those numbers.

Also, often in these articles they say they can take their funding and choose to go to another school.

Where would you do this in Utah?

It isn't like we have a bunch of empty schools or classrooms.

Every school I have ever been in is full beyond capacity.

• WHAT NOW?
    Aug. 24, 2010 6:22 p.m.

Bush: No Child Left Behind.

Bush: No Child Left Behind?

Bush: No Child Left behind!

Wait a minute.

Haven't we seen this movie before?

Hey! It does not matter what Republican Royalty tell to those Republicans out in Utah.

They want to be seen as part of "Our Grab for Power"; they will fall for anything.

Teaching to the test...

Letter grades for schools...

Money for highly graded schools...

Privatizing public funds...

Truly avant-guarde.

• utah guy
    Aug. 24, 2010 6:02 p.m.

On KSL he is quoted as saying that class size doesn't matter. I would like to challenge him to try to discipline and manage 30-40 eight year olds and try to teach them to some pre-set curriculum standards. I'm sure every elementary teacher would love to hear about his great discipline techniques with children who will not behave and whose parents do not care. I'm sure he has spent much time in a classroom and could give great guidance. Oh wait...

• moodyblue77
    Aug. 24, 2010 5:46 p.m.

If you want kids who score well on standardized tests, adopt the model. If you want entrepreneurs, go elsewhere.

• Capt Coaldale
    Aug. 24, 2010 5:42 p.m.

All this advice from a politician who "raised the bar up." Is it even possible to raise a bar down?

• Sorry Charlie!
    Aug. 24, 2010 5:15 p.m.

Does it work better than No Child Left Behind? Does he have to fudge the numbers like his brother did to make it look like it works?

• DR Hall
    Aug. 24, 2010 4:43 p.m.

It is nice that a visitor can help us with public education, but this is more of playing politics. This state used to be known for higher percentage of children in school and a higher standard of education. But then some one got the brainy idea that kids do not need education unless they were wealthy and so they cut back on school funding and student acheivement buy putting more kids in the same class to over burden the teachers, removing aids, lack of school equipment and lack of student courses. This mentality continues today. This is due to the strong influence of one political party that beleives in making huge profit over proper training and services, but get the funds for contracts for their business buddies. We already have knowlegeable Educational leaders but not with any input to this Administration or Congress. There fore we as the state of Utah are on a steep decline until we change the attitudes and direction of priorities. Good luck with that acheivement.

• Bob Pomeroy
    Aug. 24, 2010 4:33 p.m.

Given that success of the system despite under-funding was attributed to string cultural support, what is his purpose in being here? To encourage more government spending, or promote additional cultural support? Neither seems appropos.

• Doug10
    Aug. 24, 2010 4:25 p.m.

Seems that when someone who has met with success is willing to share they better be willing to take our criticisms as well.

In many school in small communities in Utah the substitute teachers are paid less than $8.50 an hour to be responsible for an entire classroom. In case anyone is intersted you can make more babysitting.

What do you expect from teachers making $8-$12 an hour? You may know some really good teachers as I do but they are not in classrooms anymore. They are working driving big trucks, working for corporations, computer companies and working in the oilfield because as a society or state we value those positions and are willing to pay for them even though we say we love education.

• utah guy
    Aug. 24, 2010 4:00 p.m.

Who paid for him to be here? Whose agenda is he here to promote? He didn't just show up of his own accord. That would have been an important item to include in the article.

• bradleyc
    Aug. 24, 2010 3:47 p.m.

I am a conservative Republican. We have choice now. I can choose to sacrifice and send my children to a private school, I can choose to school them at home... which I do anyway as a good parent, or to a sub par charter school or I can choose to send my children to a great neighborhood public school.
    I have school choice. Anyone that says they want more choice probably has a financial interest in charter or Private schools.
    We have a great constitutionally mandated public school system in Utah.
    Parents educate kids. Schools are there as resources. If your kids do poorly in public schools you may want to point at yourselves rather than the school. I find that the effort you put into schools you also get out ten fold. Public education is a bargain in Utah. Join with me in supporting your neighborhood public school..... NOT THE UEA but your neighborhood public school.

• livestrong
    Aug. 24, 2010 3:30 p.m.

Don't be bigoted. The guy oversaw a huge jump in educational results, and that's really hard to do. Personally, I'll sit at the table with anyone who has good ideas, no matter what party he is from.

• jotab
    Aug. 24, 2010 3:28 p.m.

No, they didn't start to improve learning they learned how to game the system.

• ST
    Aug. 24, 2010 3:25 p.m.

Maybe kooky liberials will listen to someone from out of state who's not a Mormon? Then again maybe they won't?
    Regardless what a novel idea ... Choice!
    and along with that Grade the schools, grade the teachers, give parents a choice where to send their children, reward achivement. UEA leaders are going to blow a gasket when they see this.

• davidjay
    Aug. 24, 2010 3:24 p.m.

The edumacashunation of our kids is importantest to us. We should insurarate that our kids are as well edumacated as Mr. Bush's brother was. If only the teachers understood the strategery of the situation they could improve the nuklar education.

To paraphrase our former President and the brother of the guest speaker.

• bradleyc
    Aug. 24, 2010 3:20 p.m.

I have never seen a standardized test increase student achievement. I have seen politicians use standardized tests to further their own careers but I have never seen a standardized test cause a kid to learn more, learn better or for that matter significantly signal whether or not a child will be successful in life.
    I have however, seen many great and noble teachers create classroom environments where kids learn to love learning, learn to love innovation and learn to be better citizens, husbands, wives, students etc. I have seen schools help children be their very best. Today I see great teachers who love the children but loathe the fact that they must teach to the test in order to justify their existence for another year. I see parents who send their kids to school unprepared and then blame the school.
    It is the parents responsibility to raise the child and educate the child. The teacher and the school is simply a resource to do so. When the public understands that then students will succeed. Until then politicians can continue to manipulate standardized testing to show both the good and bad of public education. Support our Utah Public Schools.

• MenaceToSociety
    Aug. 24, 2010 3:05 p.m.

A Bush telling Utah how to improve education? Is our education really that bad? Then again, with the worst education funding in the country, it should not come as a surprise.