Sports

BYU football: Cougar, WAC 'prenup' gives insight

Comments

• Justmythoughts
    Aug. 28, 2010 10:19 p.m.

RE: GeorgiaUte

Finally...there is a Utah fan with a little bit of brain power...too bad he had to be in Georgia...it's obvious he is not living in Salt Lake City.

• chuckie
    Aug. 26, 2010 12:45 a.m.

Chris B | 11:13 a.m. Aug. 25, 2010
    evanston,

Agreed. Most of us feel the same way.
    ===

I wish we had the passion to feel the same way..

BYU, super power...

Destroy the WAC this week. Tomorrow the world...

• GeorgiaUte
    Aug. 25, 2010 4:03 p.m.

Once again, I urge my fellow U fans to stop showing their stupidity. There's enough of that going around with kewg fans on here. I'm as big a Utah Man as they come, but I have yet to see anything BYU did wrong in this process. To say there is something wrong is to be hypocritical. Leave that to the kewg fans - NOT US! As much as I hate their arrogance, THIS is NOT one of those times.

1. They did nothing wrong against the MWC conference by looking around. To say so would imply we did something wrong as well. Neither of us were under contract or penalty to depart.
    2. They did nothing wrong by negotiating with the WAC for a potential new deal. If they felt they had the clout to strong-arm their way into favorable terms, they were obviously right, cause the WAC signed it. Can't fault the kewgs for doing it. We would have done the same.
    3. When it fell through, they STILL did nothing wrong by continuing to explore their options - including trying to get concessions from the MWC. We've wanted that for a LONG time.

• Dig Dug
    Aug. 25, 2010 2:19 p.m.

I wish the best for BYU, their program will land on it's feet somewhere. I don't know if this possible move is the best idea; time will tell all.

On that same note, we don't need to overstate the importance or religious implications of a sports program. Sure, it's associated with the Y, but I hardly think all the ado about the football team is purely for the sake of missionary work. I find it kind of insulting that the religious message from my faith would be brought down to the level of college football and how well the team does.

Football and sports is all fun, and it's fine for any school to participate in it as a great diversion for it's students and eventual fans. However, elevating something as trivial as this to the likeness of missionary work puts the players, coaches, and everybody in an unfair light and cheapens the message that was intended to be shared to begin with.

Can't we just let football be football and church be church without turning everything into a religious, hate-filled quagmire?

• mountains101
    Aug. 25, 2010 1:47 p.m.

"How were they sneaking out of the MWC? They are required to give notice before Sept. 1st, and that deadline has not yet approached. This isn't a marriage, its an athletic conference. They are under no legal or moral obligation to disclose hypothetical contract negotiations with the WAC to the MWC. Do you expect them to just up and leave the MWC without having laid the groundwork for what comes after? That would be ridiculous. This is no more sneaky than looking at another cell phone provider a month before your contract expires to see if you can get a better deal."

That's one of the worst takes ever. Seriously... if you think BYU has stayed clean through all this then let me know how your GED test goes...

• Independent
    Aug. 25, 2010 1:14 p.m.

• Independent
    Aug. 25, 2010 1:08 p.m.

Why is BYU hated for any of this? Do you expect them just to stay in a conference that gets them no exposure when they have the capability to improve their own situation? Do you expect them be bound to the same kind of bad contract with the WAC as they were with the MWC? I don't see how BYU has done anything wrong here.

• Utefan
    Aug. 25, 2010 12:49 p.m.

I always love it when my previous comments have not been posted...I know I have struck a nerve and the truth!

• Scottish Aggie
    Aug. 25, 2010 12:18 p.m.

Don't hate BYU for this, hate the MWC!

• Chris B
    Aug. 25, 2010 11:13 a.m.

evanston,

Agreed. Most of us feel the same way.

• Las Vegas Cougar BCS Bowl
    Aug. 25, 2010 11:13 a.m.

@evanston

ok. anything else you want to say?

• evanston
    Aug. 25, 2010 10:36 a.m.

I hate BYU.

• Veritas Aequitas
    Aug. 25, 2010 1:23 a.m.

Cougars --Best Little Brothers | 9:10 p.m. Aug. 24, 2010

Here is the deal for BYU...with CO unable to join PAC-10 until 2012, perhaps, out of pity, Pac-10 can let BYU temporarily join Pac-10 for 1 year in place of CO...
    Conditions:
    1) BYU has to play by the rules.
    2) BYU has to pay entrance fee of $5mil
    ===

--or--

Utah can man up, play the season, and let the team do the talking for them.

If I were a utah man, I'd forget about the WAC, and worry about AFA, UNM, UNLV, TCU and BYU.

Let's see, that's 5 conference losses headed their way.

Does SWBU have a football team. I think they could take the Utes at RES.

Anyone want to guess what the attendance will be for basketball games at the HC this year?

• BleedCougarBlue
    Aug. 25, 2010 1:04 a.m.

Any other BYU fans want us to go indy and be hugely succesful at it just to get (pick the derogative term of your choice here) people like Hedgehog and Archie to shut up?

BTW, according to the unibased Arizona media (read, not pathetic yewties) Max Hall is making a very favorable impression with the Cardinals. The Cardinals are starting to get a little worried that if they don't put Max on the roster, they may not be able to get him on their practice squad because another team might grab him and put him on their roster.

But, yewties, if you want to continue to yammer that Maxie has no talent, be my guest....

GO COUGARS!!!

• BleedCougarBlue
    Aug. 25, 2010 12:55 a.m.

Hey Hedgehog -

You are freakin' delusional.

Holmoe is NOT going to be fired over this.

Like the country western ditty says, "Here's your sign"...

• optimist
    Aug. 25, 2010 12:26 a.m.

Dissappointment: 10 years of progress. Now an era of regressing to 10 years ago.

Are we afraid to be in a conference where being #3 is all we can hope for, behind Boise State and TCU? Are we now afraid that we may have to share that #3 spot with upcomming Air Force or Wyoming?

I would rather us be 7-5 or even 6-6 in a powerhouse conference that is respected, than waste time playing in conferece where we know we will be #1 each year, but with no respect. Waste of money buying tickets to games like that.

• RSL1
    Aug. 24, 2010 11:57 p.m.

This just in: the MWC was considering banning all BYU games from TV as retaliation for almost declaring independence. The MWC reconsidered when it realized this is essentially the same thing as having your games on the Mtn.

• RSL1
    Aug. 24, 2010 11:39 p.m.

Since the Mtn. I have hardly seen any BYU sports and I am a huge BYU fan. The Mtn. is so bad for BYU anything would be better. BYU will not continue with the current TV deal. It's bad financially, its bad exposure, and its bad for the fans. Why would they stick with it? There is no incentive at all.
    Lets see we can continue to make no money, get no exposure, and have our own fans not watch any games, or we can make lots more money, have our fans see all BYU sports whenever they want, and have all our games televised to 40 million more homes. Which deal would you choose?

Note: I could care less about the BCS beauty pageant or any other meaningless bowl. If there were a real football championship that would mean something, but the BCS. Its a national disgrace.

• chuckie
    Aug. 24, 2010 10:04 p.m.

Personally,

I read the FresnoBee articles...

Seems the beef is with Benson, and Fresno States Athletic Department. All BYU asked for was "reassurance of stability if it was going to join the WAC for all sports besides football."

I suggest that NavalVet/Archie read the story before he posts the source, to see if it backs up what he wants it to say...

I love to watch NavalVet/Archie when he thinks he has something, then the inevitable flameout on re-entry back to reality.

• Cougars --Best Little Brothers
    Aug. 24, 2010 9:10 p.m.

Conditions:
    1) BYU has to play by the rules.
    2) BYU has to pay entrance fee of $5mil

• Captain L
    Aug. 24, 2010 8:53 p.m.

Re Hedgehog: You take the cake for smarts let me tell you. Nothing you said in your post of 5:44 is true, nothing.
    Everything BYU did was preliminary, nothing had been finalized or signed. BYU leaving the Mnt is no more of a problem than Utah leaving, except that BYU provides more revenue than Utah. BYU has every bit as much right to seek the best opportunities as does Utah.
    BYU is not delusional, you'll see, the only delusion is in your head.
    BYU owes the WAC nothing, no contract had been signed, and BYU didn't renege on any thing, the WAC isn't what it was when BYU was discussing their move, the product that BYU was bargaining for isn't available now and it is not BYU that broke a contract it is Nev. & FS.
    BYU will probably go independent and make alot more money than if they stay in the Mnt, if they stay in the Mtn it will be temporary until the right opportunity comes, which won't be very long.
    Why is it you want to criticise and find fault with BYU? Have they wronged you?

• FAYM
    Aug. 24, 2010 8:36 p.m.

Serious, Archie? Did you read either of the stories?

My suggestion, all BYU and Utah fans read both these stories and see if any of you believe Archie/Naval deserves any credibility after this disingenous post?

Does any Ute fan have any "cred" after "manufacturing" any malfeasance against BYU?

Buyout clause works wonders for 'Dogs
    By Matt James / The Fresno Bee
    People are miffed about the buyout clause. That's understandable.

'Dogs give MWC ammo to survive
    By Matt James / The Fresno Bee
    Fresno State fans shouldn't wake up today feeling lucky to be accepted into the Mountain West. Their school actually saved the conference.

___

It seems the only people who are holding BYU culpable are Utah fans...

And ethically?

Do you have an ethical bone in your body for even trying to place the blame on BYU???

Now, don't you have a MWC to take 4th place in (and a MWC women's Conference Title to win) before you run to the PAC?

• Utefan
    Aug. 24, 2010 8:20 p.m.

FAYM...gosh called out! I am glad you can understand his reasoning...it still makes it of no consequence. He is no longer a Chancellor, whom ever his "buddies" may be they may or may not have voted and if they did vote they obviously did not agree with his opinion. If they would have voted his way, but were no longer empowered to vote, it is immaterial.

I am not sure how posting out of hate applies to me. I think it applies to the first Y-ner who decided to quote a former chancellor who expressed an opinion on a subject that he no longer had a say in. To what end was the article quoted, to express envy to provide a "dig" at the Utes because they possess something that is not likely to possessed in Provo and divert the discussion from the real issue the Y's duplicity in dealing with the MWC; its use of the poison bill in the WAC to attempt to guarantee a place for other sports.

I'll be back to see if you have the courage to address those issues!

• Archie
    Aug. 24, 2010 7:55 p.m.

Here it is. If this is true, BYU does in fact, have ethical culpability in the demise of the WAC...

"James said that Utah State athletic director Scott Barnes, who is a Fresno State graduate, said in a letter to Aggie supporters that the buyout clause and five-year agreement was something BYU wanted … that it wanted reassurance of stability if it was going to join the WAC for all sports besides football.

BYU knew fully well that if it lost the Cougars that the MWC would attempt to go back to the WAC. In essence, it was covering its own base at the expense of the MWC."

- Matt James, Fresno Bee

Fresno and Nevada had the MOU AND the MWC invite in hand at the same time. They evaluated both and decided to bolt the WAC. Obviously, they didn't like what BYU was selling.

• dferg
    Aug. 24, 2010 7:46 p.m.

hedgehog, you are indeed a troglodyte (look it up; it's in a thing called a dictionary [dik-shuh-ner-ee]). Truly. You just keep spouting the same mantra over and over again, like a broken record.

And Holmoe gone in 6 days? Really? You must have the Psychic Hotline on speed dial; you do realize they charge by the minute, don't you?

Holmoe has made national headlines making "...BYU even more strange and extreme to a national audience"? Really?

I've been to all the major sports websites I could think of: ESPN, Sportsline, Sports Illustrated, etc., and I couldn't find one reference to what you said. Not one. The WORST I saw was a wait-and-see trepidation; most reports were for a largely positive outlook for the situation. Odd that you would know more about the situation than trained, experienced, UNBIASED sportswriters.......

So stop your yammerin', posturing, and unintelligble bleeting. Take a nap. For a few weeks, preferably.

• UtahRoper
    Aug. 24, 2010 7:12 p.m.

To ALL Utah fans who blog here. Nearly everyone of you have blogged about how sweet it is that Utah will recieve 5 to 15 mil vs the 1.5 mil BYU gets for bowl games. You also claim some wierd sort of dominance because you ran as fast as you could to the PAC (pun intended), crippling your conferences chances for a Automatic BCS bid; yet you call BYU disloyal to the MWC for trying to look out for themselves. I'm pretty sure that would qualify as the epitome of being HYPOCRITES!!!! And, BTW enjoy your annual 5/6 place, with an occassional 4th place finish in the PAC for the next, oh say, forever years.

• FAYM
    Aug. 24, 2010 7:00 p.m.

hedgehog | 6:37 p.m. Aug. 24, 2010

I agree with you.

After reading you post again, it is very easy to just thow out the word "idiotic" to describe it.

Destroyed the WAC? You give BYU the "cred" to destroy a conference?

That would seriously make BYU the most powerful program in the nation.

You prefer a different word, go for it.

I chose idiotic...

• FAYM
    Aug. 24, 2010 6:38 p.m.

Utefan | 5:44 p.m. Aug. 24, 2010
    "Given enough time someone, even a Y-ner with some help, could find an article quoting someone who did not want the Utes in the PAC10. After all one can still find articles about the earth being flat."
    ---

Personally, I can understand his reasoning. As he sends letters to all of his old buddies who he worked with, I wonder if any of them will agree.

All it takes is one chancellor to veto the on the final vote.

BTW. Go ahead and cite one of those articles of the world being flat. Let's say it's a question of your integrity, and your willingness to post out of hate regardless of honesty...

I check back later...

• hedgehog
    Aug. 24, 2010 6:37 p.m.

FAYM,

It's sooo easy to just throw out the "idiotic" word and pretend it's just hater's being hater's.

If you would please re-read my | 5:44 p.m. post and with every ounce a objectivity your little kewg brain can muster, try to defend Holmoe.

The very real FACT is that holmoe has made BYU even more strange and extreme to a National audience.

I live in the Midwest and yes, people have been talking about BYU - but unfortunetly for kewg fans - for all the wrong reasons.

Almost 6 days until Holmoe is gone.

• FAYM
    Aug. 24, 2010 5:48 p.m.

I really go out of my way not to resort to namecalling, so I will try to do this without doing so. I will point out behaviors, and try not to call names.

Hedgehog
    WillyOldSchool
    Willary
    Archie

Why is this even of interest to you all? You are making totally illogical points. Not a post you have made shows any sense (Vette vs Corolla-- such a cutsie-moronic metaphor, calling for Tom Holmoe's job, etc).

I question in reality, with your BYU obsession, that any of you have stepped into a University classroom, or even had any formal learning.

I see that most of the usual Utah fans even find your arguments below them.

I guess what I really would like to know, is do you really comprehend how idiotic you make Utah fans sound? You sound like a group of angry idiots, with the "figurin' skills" of a Jethro Bodine.

I bet the PAC is excited to get a taste of your moronic fanbase.

The game is football, not idiotball.

• Utefan
    Aug. 24, 2010 5:44 p.m.

While the gentleman's opinion is certainly counter to what the PAC10 ultimately decided to do, his opinion is of little consequence, like Lenny Gomes or Maxie Hall's comments.

The operative term here is he is the FORMER Chancellor of UCLA. If this is the only case Y-ners can make, and the current "hot dis" on the Utes, it is pretty sad and pathetic. Nice try, little brother!

• hedgehog
    Aug. 24, 2010 5:44 p.m.

I would assume that BYU will be on the hook for 5mm to the WAC if they infact crawl back to the MWC.

You can't make Fresno and Nevada pay if the tds gets a free pass.

Sooo, Let's review what holmoe has done to date.

1)Screwed the MWC and destroyed the WAC.
    2) Created National headlines for delusion judgement.
    3) Will owe the WAC 5mm
    4) Will earn and estimated 300m less revenue in the MWC (with the inclusion of Fresno and Nevada

I give Holmoe 7 days.

• USportsFan
    Aug. 24, 2010 5:39 p.m.

Note to self, Never have Dave from Taylorsville be my lawyer. He can't read the contract either.

In the revisions, it was made clear the $700,000 was just a starting point in negotiations and the actual guarantee money would NOT be as high.

This contract was basically saying that BYU wants to reserve the rights to broadcast. It had an equal share in say for all sports except football. In football it was out of the WAC except if it qualified for one of its bowls over another team from the WAC.

I don't see what all the fuss is about, on either side. Yes, colleges enter into contracts to join conferences. This isn't new. Especially when money is involved, you want things spelled out precisely.

Ute fans, just drop it. We don't have to pick on these kitten fans. We'll show them up on the field.

BYU fans, it is ok. I'm sure that everything will be fine.

• Archie
    Aug. 24, 2010 5:14 p.m.

EVERYONE gets your point but no one is biting.

Give it up.

• BleedCougarBlue
    Aug. 24, 2010 4:41 p.m.

Hey GeorgiaUte -

Apparently, you misunderstand me.

I'm not trying to bash the Utes.

Lately they're a heck of a good football team. Good for them! I would say they easily deserved to be invited to the PAC-10. Quite frankly, maybe even more than BYU becuase of how well they've (Utah) played against ranked teams and their superb bowl record in the last 5-7 years or so. BYU's lacking a little in both departments in that same timeframe.

I'm not trying to say Utah doesn't deserve to be invited to the PAC-10 or to earn more national prestiege.

What I AM trying to say is that some people are talking smack about Utah, undeservedly, and that it is therefore foolish for Utah fans to then do the same about BYU.

I love BYU but I'll pull for Utah in virtually every game but one; when they play BYU.

Utah football, I like.

A good chunk of their fans?

Eh?, not so much...

• hedgehog
    Aug. 24, 2010 4:38 p.m.

'AND it specifically says BYU could NOT move back to the MWC if it became a BCS AQ'

Counter Intelligence,

You're simply clueless living in the bubble. BYU has the right with NO PENALTY to leave the WAC for a BCS conference at anytime. Sounds realy fair to all the other WAC teams- now doesn't it. Force them to stay and BYU has the freedom to leave at anytime.

Exactly who has to sign the honor code??

• AggieFan74
    Aug. 24, 2010 4:30 p.m.

If all this wasn't so painful to my beloved Aggies I'd laugh my guts out!! The silence from the BYU brain trust is deafining. The venom from BYU fans toward Ute and Aggie fans is also deafining. My guess is that a bus load of lawyers worked for weeks on this BYU going independant slash overrun the WAC deal. I am sure they had every angle worked out and had presented what was thought to be an air-tight deal that would maintain some level of integrity to the WAC and, at the same time, legitimize BYU's move to affiliate all their non-football athletic programs with the WAC. HA! HA! HA! HA! Is all it took was one very shrewd and and extremely ruthless dude to completely put the mighty Cougars back to square one with more than a little egg on their face despite all the legal horsepower. A great idea on paper but ya missed one small but ruthless manuver. If BYU had any "MORAL" integrity they would use their new found millions to help rebuild the WAC and finish what they started-or go back to the MWC and be a laughing stock!!!

• BleedCougarBlue
    Aug. 24, 2010 4:16 p.m.

Re: Archie @ 3:31PM

You too, Archie.

You must have graduated from the same school of foolishness that 'williary' did.

Good luck, amigo.

• GeorgiaUte
    Aug. 24, 2010 4:13 p.m.

It really stinks that kewg fans have to go out and bash the Utes for acting in their own best interest. It's hypocritical because if the tables were turned, we all KNOW the kewgs would do the exact same thing. And to start trying to predict the demise of the Utes in the PAC, or say they aren't really wanted is just sour grapes and ridiculous.

By the same token, my fellow Ute fans embarrass me by coming on here and concocting stories about how BYU thinks they are bigger than they really are, or by saying that BYU acted dishonorably in this whole thing. Let's just SHUT UP and let BYU act in its own best interest, just as our school did. If we want to talk smack, let's talk about how we perform on the field head to head against BYU. We talk about them being arrogant, but when we do the exact same thing by telling them about how we are going to play in the Rose Bowl, yada, yada, yada. Flat out embarrassing as a UTE fan and alum. Let's show some class - Both sides.

• BleedCougarBlue
    Aug. 24, 2010 4:11 p.m.

Hey williary -

You, in a word, are absolutely clueless.

I point out how you and other pro-Utah/anti-BYU haters are being hypocritical by chafing at unfounded, short-sighted judgements made against your Utes (you DO have decent academics and travel to Texas is even FURTHER than travel to Utah) and yet you simply continue to throw your hate at BYU.

How in the world can you not see it's a case of the hated choosing to hate others?

Instead of you saying "Gee, a powerful PAC-10 leader unfairly talks smack about MY school. Maybe I shouldn't do the same to other institutions. Hmmm...", you simply continue to incite more hatred towards BYU.

Hey, if you want to continue to act like a fool, more power to ya, but don't say I didn't try to help you...

• GeorgiaUte
    Aug. 24, 2010 4:05 p.m.

As usual, really stupid, biassed posts in here by both sides. I, for one, do not see this series of events as amounting to anything negative about TDS in any way. Not "sneaky" not dishonest, not anything more than what every other school is expected to do (including my alma mater Utah) - look out for what it thinks is its own best interest. Just a few points to consider:
    BYU looking to leave the MWC so it could secure its own TV deal is not wrong. It happens all the time. Texas got its own sweet deal because it was the 500-pound gorilla in its conference. The chance to have rights to broadcast its own product and get a disproportionate amount of the revenue is why the Big12 is alive today - and the other schools agreed cause it was in their best interest. If you can pull it off, you're stupid not to.
    2) How do you think the "prenup" deal was leaked to MWC? All WAC schools agreed to it. It's obvious Fresno and Nevada leaked it to try to play two sides against each other. Again, they acted in their own self interest.

• trueblueBYU
    Aug. 24, 2010 3:45 p.m.

I for one have never and will never spend my time on a Utah Ute story. I can't imagine many true BYU fans who do. What's the point? Good bye and good riddance.

• Archie
    Aug. 24, 2010 3:31 p.m.

BleedCougarBlue | old news and a dumb post. Do you really think everyone in the PAC wants change? It is the most elite group of schools in the country and there will be discussion. You can count on it.

Now, back to the topic of BYU...way too much fun!

• AZguy
    Aug. 24, 2010 3:21 p.m.

Itsajelly-awesome moniker by the way-I think it is time for Coug fans to stop trashing the U invite to the PAC-10. It is an outstanding institution and it was a well deserved invite regardless of what Texas did. An ESPN writer has said that if last year, the PAC-10 said it was going to pick up UU and CU, it would have generally been viewed as a positive addition and the best ones possible.

I have made jokes for months that I have to root for the U to do well in the PAC-10, becuase if they go 2-6, it will make the MWC look extremely week and takes a luster off the 3 -f 4 football games BYU taken from them. I feel like I have to wash my mouth out after that, but there you have it.

U fans will trash BYU regardless. Fact is, the W's are on BYU's side right now. Fun place to be. BYU had 9 conference championships last year, UU had one.

• williary
    Aug. 24, 2010 3:12 p.m.

re: BleedCougarBlue

So a 70-year old, ex-UCLA Chancellor, who under his tenure helped to ensure the Pac-10 did not expand past the 10 memebers at that time, doesn't think Utah should have gotten in based on academics, disregarding football performance which was the reason Utah got in.

Couldn't care less.

• BleedCougarBlue
    Aug. 24, 2010 2:57 p.m.

Hey yewts, let me explain more on the San Francisco Examiner article I just mentioned...

I posted that you were probably being unfairly discriminated against.

Why?

Because in the same article it also said that the former UCLA chancellor, Chuck Young, said his reasons for not wanting Utah or Colorado were due to supposedly lower academic standards and travel issues to teams not on the west coast.

I'm pretty sure academically Utah is on a fairly equal par with Texas.

However....

in the same article he's also quoted as saying he (Chuck Young) wanted to try to woo Texas away from the Big-12 so that he could expand the PAC-10 into essentially a super PAC-16 with West coast and a non-West coast branches.

Did you catch that?

He's talking out of both sides of his mouth and your beloved Utah is the object of his distaste.

You're being unfairly talked smack about.

Stinks, doesn't it?

And yet instead of banding together to fight the elitist snobs, you do the same thing to BYU that your current enemies are doing to YOU.

You want to talk about being two-faced?

Well...uh...

• BleedCougarBlue
    Aug. 24, 2010 2:46 p.m.

This is for 'williary' and 'hedgehog'...

In an article written by Glenn Dickey on August 20th in the San Francisco Examiner about Colorado and UTAH being invited to the PAC-10:

"Its meeting some strong opposition, most notably from former UCLA chancellor Chuck Young, who is still on the Knights Commission for intercollegiate athletics. Young was UCLA chancellor for a 30-year period, 1968-97, during which time the school advanced into the top tier of public universities. He has been sending e-mails to the chancellors and presidents of Pac-10 schools, urging them to BLOCK THE EXPANSION.....but he agreed to talk to me about his opposition.

Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. Colorado is on a par with Oregon, he said. UTAH ISN'T EVEN IN THE PICTURE."

Yeah, and that's a direct quote.

Here's my point:

Somebody in the PAC-10 doesn't like you. It probably isn't fair but they dislike you nonetheless.

A lot.

Sucks, doesn't it?

And yet you continue to groundlessly bag on BYU.

Just sayin'...

• BleedCougarBlue
    Aug. 24, 2010 2:45 p.m.

This is for 'williary' and 'hedgehog'...

"It’s meeting some strong opposition, most notably from former UCLA chancellor Chuck Young, who is still on the Knight’s Commission for intercollegiate athletics. Young was UCLA chancellor for a 30-year period, 1968-97, during which time the school advanced into the top tier of public universities. He has been sending e-mails to the chancellors and presidents of Pac-10 schools, urging them to BLOCK THE EXPANSION.....but he agreed to talk to me about his opposition.

Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “UTAH ISN'T EVEN IN THE PICTURE.”

Yeah, and that's a direct quote.

Here's my point:

A lot.

Sucks, doesn't it?

And yet you continue to groundlessly bag on BYU.

Just sayin'...

• MUSSDad
    Aug. 24, 2010 2:11 p.m.

Wiley Old School | 10:56 a.m. Aug. 24, 2010
    Wiley Old School | 12:45 p.m. Aug. 24, 2010

These posts are very, very funny. Ya know something else, they are an excellent analogy of this soap opera.

In general, I don't understand why BYU fans get so adamant about Utah fans being on their stories. They wonder over to the Utes stories all the time. In this case however, there seems to be a growing sense of embarrassment among BYU fans. Naturally, they want to keep the damage within the family.

It's kind of like when the husband and wife finally settle down in Wiley Old School's story. They look at each other and say..."do you think anyone heard us?"

• Utefan
    Aug. 24, 2010 2:07 p.m.

Whoa, Greg! Forget to take you meds today? Again. So the situation the Y finds itself in is because the U left because of a PAC10 invite and now little brother is forced to blindside the rest of the MWC family by secretly meeting with the WAC before they even annouced their departure? Your argument ad hominem is pathetically Lenny Goamish...and wrong

• Juice
    Aug. 24, 2010 1:56 p.m.

Otis Spurlock wrote:

"It's just too bad that Fresno and Nevada didn't want to be in the same conference as BYU. Now BYU will have to crawl back to the MWC with their tail between their legs.

If a lesson can be learned from this debacle, I guess I don't know what it would be."

The lesson that can be learned from this is to never trust in the arm of flesh.

• Utahute72
    Aug. 24, 2010 1:39 p.m.

As a Utah fan I truly hope BYU succeeds in achieving it's ultimate goal of becoming independent. The comedy provided this week by them would continue into the forseeable future. If the MWC had any sense they would cut them loose and move on.

• AggieFan74
    Aug. 24, 2010 1:36 p.m.

Just to clear the record. I am certainly not a BYU fan but I thoroughly understand the BYU was or is acting in the best interest of BYU which is what an institution is supporsed to do. My very rough and dirty calculations seems to indicate that BYU stands to increase their gross annual football revenues from $40 something million to maybe $80 something million by going independant, working a TV deal with ESPN, launching their own TV network then going independant slash back to the WAC. I also understand that the WAC would have also benefited by basically enjoying five or so more years of stability-which the Aggies sorely need to keep the football program moving in the right direction. On paper a WIN/WIN. In practice a potentially desasterous deal for both the WAC and the Aggies. As much as I hate BYU, I'll stop short of blaming them for the tenuous situation the Aggies now find themselves in. The plain and simple truth of the matter is Craig Thompson is one shrewd and brutal manipulator that was one or several moves ahead of both the Aggie and BYU brain trusts in this whole deal.

• dferg
    Aug. 24, 2010 1:33 p.m.

And as for everybody else, including Cougar fans (like myself), it's useless to speculate and get all hot and bothered over stuff we don't know. Unless someone has listening devices planted in Holmoe's, Thomson's, Samuelson's, every WAC and MWC head, and every other decision-making player in this game's offices, homes, etc., we just need to wait until something's announced. Otherwise it's futile.

Oh, I suppose someone could have LaToya Jackson and the entire staff of The Psychic Network on the payroll working on this; then maybe we might have something to go on. But until then, especially the virulent anti-BYU thugs, stop acting like you have a personal inside track on what's going down. 'Cause you don't. None of us do. Just wait like the rest of us, and stop your post-partum ranting.

• dferg
    Aug. 24, 2010 1:26 p.m.

You know, it's really, really sad to see the disparaging and completely unfounded spiteful comments from people like hedgehog, Chris B, and williary; it's absolutely ridiculous. I mean, comments like "We have Pasaena, first class restaurants, blah blah blah...while you have dusty Las Vegas and buffet lines" is just pathetic and juvenile. Grow up.

The fact remains that - while the Utes have been a good team and have played well in the MWC and in their non-conference games - you Ute fans have to realize that playing week after week against (and getting hammered by) higher-caliber teams in your new conference is going to take it's toll REAL quick. They're gonna have to come back from a bigger beating each week than they've ever had to before, and that's going to have an affect on the next week's game. It'll take a while to get used to.

So what does that mean? It means I don't think they're gonna be making a trip to Pasadena any time soon, unless either A) it's in the role of a spectator, or B) they're in the marching band.

• Utefan
    Aug. 24, 2010 1:02 p.m.

I think the Des News use of "prenup" is a tellilng reference to the marriage that the Y was trying to make with the WAC until the Don Juan of the WMC, Craig Thompson, convinced the two best remaining football schools, Nevada and FSU, to become sister wives in the MWC. The Y's marriage to the WAC was not a marriage of equals since the Y was exempt from the $5 million dollar poison pill. The WAC was a too anxious a suitor since it was willing to consumate this prenup before a court date for the Y's previous marriage to the MWC was even set. This conference bigamy does not do anything but make the Y look desperate in its attempt to gain a bigger share of the broadcast pie...claims of exposure not withstanding.

• Ravenal
    Aug. 24, 2010 1:01 p.m.

Does hedgehog even read the articles before he posts? I didn't think so. If he did he would know how stupid his last comment was. But then what do you expect, BYU has been all over the news lately and haters like him can't stand it so he has to let off steam somehow.

• donburi
    Aug. 24, 2010 12:55 p.m.

...There will be no sharing of BCS revenues by either party...

@Cougars --Best Little Brothers,
    You must have a problem with reading comprehension. This is a WAC deal, not an MWC deal. In case you have been living on the moon for the past 10 years, TCU and Utah are in the MWC. No affect on the MOU. And it doesn't have anything to do with revenue collected in the past.

• Wiley Old School
    Aug. 24, 2010 12:45 p.m.

Cali Coug:
    You must be making too many trips to your local medical marijuana store if that's what you are seeing.

That's why you'll not be allowed to even wash the Corvette let alone drive it.

(I just checked the title on the Corvette and under owner it reads "Utah." Under location it reads "PAC-12." Get out of my yard and go back to your reliable Corolla but watch your gas mileage... you have two extra passengers in the back seat now.)

• williary
    Aug. 24, 2010 12:32 p.m.

re: Cali Coug

Why would a Cougar fan be living next to the Pac-10? Remember Cougs, they wanted absolutly nothing to do with you! Not a first choice, 7th choice, nothing.

And to put the religion "excuse" to bed, pretty sure the Pac-10 would have welcomed Notre Dame with open arms and a parade.

Utah lives in the neighborhood now. BYU is stuck staring through the gates wishing it was them. Then they remember that their only BCS experience was tagging alone with Utah fans to the Fiesta Bowl, and they realize why they were left out.

• Packrat
    Aug. 24, 2010 12:14 p.m.

Seriously, don't you Utah fans have anything else to do? It appears that you simply sit around and blog about BYU all day long. So sad... Stop obsessing in your hatred of BYU and get another hobby. You will probably be much happier!

• MenaceToSociety
    Aug. 24, 2010 12:08 p.m.

This is all just a BYU snit fit over their hated, evil, classless, inferior rival being invited to the Pac 10 and receiving all the attention. It reminds me of some kid crying as he leaves the ball-crawl area of a fast food joint.

The events that led to Utah's move to the Pac 10 happened over a long period of time, but it's as though BYU's arrogance would not let them see it until the day it happened. Then their reaction was to throw this temper tantrum.

Stay classy, Provo.

• BleedCougarBlue
    Aug. 24, 2010 12:08 p.m.

Ya know, sometimes my patience gets a little thin after reading all the anti-BYU/anti-LDS stupidity on here.

For now I'll just say GO COUGARS! and leave it at that.

• Cali Coug
    Aug. 24, 2010 12:06 p.m.

Re: Willy Old School

We see it this way...

The Yewet fan is in my driveway washing my new Corvette. The same event takes place, only we hear the argument...The PAC schools are moaning about getting stuck with their seventh and eighth choice. We smile, shake our heads and wonder why they are fighting...the uou should rule the PAC in football and womens gymnastics. We just hope the football team can someday become as good as BYU's.

Don't forget to apply two coats of wax.

• BleedCougarBlue
    Aug. 24, 2010 12:05 p.m.

ANOTHER POSTER wrote: "Cougars --Best Little Brothers | 6:59 a.m. Aug. 24, 2010 ...There will be no sharing of BCS revenues by either party...

Does this mean BYU will return the BCS revenue that Utah and TCU earned for the Cougars?"

_______

Get a clue, yewtie, get a clue...

• defibman
    Aug. 24, 2010 11:57 a.m.

You all crack me up! Anyone who thinks this is just about football and the rest of the sports just doesn't get it. You have to look at the mission of the Church. It is not about sports. If you can use the sports to accomplish the mission then you use it. To think that what BYU is trying to do is the result of the U is not even worth commenting on. Some things are so ignorant that some people should just not even put their fingers on the keyboard.
    Think before you type Ute fans. I really like the comments about them trading the LV bowl for the Rose bowl and then they think that BYU fans are arrogant.

• hedgehog
    Aug. 24, 2010 11:53 a.m.

Soo,

Let’s get this straight

1) BYU demanded all WAC teams to sign a 5mm poison pill contract.
    2) BYU has the “no stings attached” ability to switch back to the MWC if it become an AQ conference.

And pompous kewgs have the nerve to be angry at Fresno, Nevada for doing what’s best for them?

Let’s start the countdown; How many days until Holmoe is asked to leave over this PR nightmare

• itsajelly
    Aug. 24, 2010 11:28 a.m.

Wally West: Yeah, the Cougs went out and built their multi million dollar broadcast center right after you left the conf. You guys caught a break. BYU was going indy long before you got your invite. It was just convenient the real teams the PAC wanted declined the invitation except the lame duck CU. That left an opening for another lame duck invite. Enter the Utes. You and CU, and WSU can battle it out year after year for cellar supremacy. BYU will be fine.

• hedgehog
    Aug. 24, 2010 11:24 a.m.

Wiley Old School,

LOL!! perfect example !

• dallascoug
    Aug. 24, 2010 11:18 a.m.

this is a little bit off topic but I dont understand why my fellow cougar fans are discrediting utah in the pac 10. if we thought about it a little bit we would realize that we dont want utah to go 4-4 in that conference becuase if they do that than the MWC looks even weaker. If utah can do well in the pac and go to a good bowl game then I believe it will give the MWC more respect. also byu will probably be playing utah every year and if they can beat a utah team that competes for the pac championship it will look a lot better than beating a utah team that is never in the hunt. I dunno if that makes sense to anyone else but it does to me so good luck Utes.

• itsajelly
    Aug. 24, 2010 11:14 a.m.

BYU will still be indy in football. The announcement is still coming, the only difference is that Thompson was so desperate to keep the Cougars that where before he was spouting the "there will be no concessions" he is now saying "they are willing to work with BYU" on the television revenue. Thompson's knee jerk reaction pulled MWC from becoming an AQ conference by adding a lame duck school Nevada which has nothing to contribute and Fres St which barely holds it's own. So really it is the MWC that is begging BYU back because they know who brings viewers and money as a result. That is why the WAC wanted them and that is why the MWC will allow the other sports to compete and will bend over backwards to let them do so. Meanwhile BYU is softening up Texas with some broadcasting help to be traded for a conference to be named later.

• Wiley Old School
    Aug. 24, 2010 10:56 a.m.

AZGuy: Let me explain the intrest by Ute fans by using a little metaphor.

Utah is like the guy out in the driveway washing his shiny new Corvette, when all of a sudden he hears a ruckus going on next door. He sees the husband slam the door and come storming out. He sees the wife throw out golf clubs and clothes onto the lawn from a second story window. The husband cusses and shakes his fist and threatens to never come back. The wife, from the second window, extends her arm and jingles the keys to his reliable Corolla. Doh! The husband goes storming back into the house. Muffled shouting and breaking china can still be heard by the neighbor.

This is the best darn soap opera in ages! It's just too entertaining to look away!

• Wally West
    Aug. 24, 2010 10:43 a.m.

re: sammyg | 8:14 a.m. Aug. 24, 2010

"Do you really think BYU football is about "greed" or is it about making a sound business decision with church mission exposure."

So, BYU just barely decided that Football was a great way to expose themselves? I mean to be a tool.... for missionary work.

No. This whole round of poor decisions is based on inferiority & jealousy over the Utes moving up to the big time.

• AZguy
    Aug. 24, 2010 10:11 a.m.

Y haters-Is the U sports enough for you. You call BYU the tds or little brother, yet you are still commenting on this board. I usually did not pay much attention to my little brother's dealings unless I was truly interested or jealous about the attention he was getting. Just a thought.

Anyway, on the article, the only thing that seems unfairly slanted toward BYU is the buyout. BYU was on the hook for $2MM while the other schools were on the hook for $5MM. Maybe this was one of those items that was changed. I would not expect other schools to sign that one.

Say what you want about people passing over the BYU channel, but is in 60 million homes; like it or not. An SJSU alumi in Phoenix could watch more SJSU athletics and he would be happy about that. A USU grad in DC can catch a late night basketball game from the Spectrum all at no cost to that university. More exposure for free courtesy o fthe BYU channel. Sounds like a decent gig to me.
    I am not thrilled for the olympic sports, but hopefully that would work out over time.

• BYU_Greg
    Aug. 24, 2010 10:07 a.m.

@UteFan: "Sneaking out of MW to the WAC with a prenup before they ever declared...I divorce you, I divorce you I divorce you! Is that kosher?"

HA HA! Yeah, Utah left the MWC and then started shopping where they would go and it just stumbled into the PAC 12. No, they had all the plans drawn up before they left. DUH! You pointing this out is too funny since Utah started all this by defecting first.

Much like you probably found your pizza delivery job before you gave notice to the ditch digging job you had since you graduated :)

• Ibleedcrimson
    Aug. 24, 2010 9:59 a.m.

BYU would not have gained control over the WAC. The situation would have been mutually beneficial, and both sides were very excited about it.

This argument doesn't make sense. If it was so mutually beneficial why would Fresno and Nevada risk a 5 mill penalty and jump to the MWC as soon as it was offered?

We're either not getting the whole picture of the deal wasn't as mutually beneficial as some suspect.

• patriot
    Aug. 24, 2010 9:55 a.m.

I think the Y is trying to figure out a way to survive in the NCAA- especially the big money maker Football. Things are not looking good for the Y in athletics going forward simply because no one wants BYU - not the PAC 10, not the Big 12. Very crazy times for Y. Not sure how this will end up.

• Bugoff
    Aug. 24, 2010 9:49 a.m.

This contract outlines why BYU is attractive to a conference in other sports. It dramatically expands TV coverage for minor sports. That is true for the BCS conferences and the smaller conferences.

It also outlines why independence is important and feasible for BYU. The reach and TV revenues are substantial and BYU can schedule far more national games.

BYU may or may not leave this fall but they are going to get some substantial changes now or next year. The current arrangement with the MTN does not serve BYU's primary interests.

Most fans focus on getting into a BCS conference. That is not necessarily the primary goal of BYU. It is secondary as it would provide more reach exposure but Independence could be a better option for those purposes.

• williary
    Aug. 24, 2010 9:48 a.m.

re: sammyg

And BYU fans, media members and administrators still can't believe they didn't get the Pac-12 invite ahead of Utah that they have been dying to receive.

So sad that BYU fans want to know kill the Pac-12 and it's huge benefits/rewards, simply because BYU didn't get picked for the dance.

No matter what happens with BYU (Independence/WCC or crawling back to Craig Thompson) Utah takes their place with the big boys next year. A move that nothing on the table for BYU right now can come close to equaling.

That's why you Cougar fans are so bitter. Can't blame you a bit.

• fan29
    Aug. 24, 2010 9:45 a.m.

It's no wonder BYU was willing to pull the trigger on this one.

• williary
    Aug. 24, 2010 9:42 a.m.

re: belgie

The problem is BYU, and it's fans, continue to hold BYU in a higher spotlight than everyone else does, and this fiasco has proven that as being false. If BYU was so powerful and would have created such a great opportunity for the WAC schools, why did 2 of them bolt at the cost of $5,000,000, to join the conference BYU was leaving? Doesn't that speak pretty loud and clear that 1)BYU does not have the pull they think and Fresno/Nevada are aware of that and 2)BYU tried to be king-of-the-hill in the WAC and Fresno/Nevada wanted none of that, even though we're told BYU would bring all the riches of the world to them.

ESPN tried to use BYU to get a little of the college football action, since they are losing everyone else they used to broadcast.

• Archie
    Aug. 24, 2010 9:40 a.m.

ridgerider | 8:53 a.m. Aug. 24, 2010

I'll give you two:

1) Fresno St
    2) Nevada

Both saw past what BYU was attempting to do to the WAC. Bottom line...both were more willing to accept the MWC's existing contract with the Mountain than accept the terms and conditions laid out in the MOU which essentially GUARANTEE zero payment for any team in team in the WAC. Please note, I say "zero" because that is the likelihood ESPN will televise a WAC game without BSU in the conference.

Face it folks, this was set up to be a zero sum game with BYU being the ONLY beneficiary. USU should have run like the wind when this MOU came into play.

Counter Intelligence | 8:47 a.m. Aug. 24, 2010
    Did you read the text of that document? The ONLY opportunity teams from the WAC could benefit is by having games on ESPN. Without Boise St., the WAC will be invisible to ESPN. How in the world can you claim this proposed arrangement would benefit the WAC????

• Otis Spurlock
    Aug. 24, 2010 9:37 a.m.

• sammyg
    Aug. 24, 2010 9:36 a.m.

Utah's new sandbox will yield them a 3-5 or 4-4 season at best. I hear the printing presses cranking out the LV Bowl posters and media kits now!

Utah vs. 'blank' LV Bowl 2011, 12, 13 ...hahaHA!

BYU will get a sweet deal for its new HD studio and some great games as an independent. Go Cougars!

• WallyD
    Aug. 24, 2010 9:24 a.m.

I think this deal would've mutually beneficial to the WAC and BYU. The WAC gains a solid football program that their teams can play and BYU gains people to play during October/November.
    I don't think there was anything underhanded about what BYU was doing, if anything we learned that BYU should have been more secretive.
    BYU is trying to put itself in the best position. Nothing wrong with that. Utah was lucky to have the opportunity to move to the Pac-10. The Pac-10 isn't a possibility because of the religious aspect of BYU.
    Did you Utah fans read what UCLA's former Chancellor said about Utah? He claims academically Utah isn't in the same league. I think the pieces are just beginning to move in college football.

• COUGARNATE
    Aug. 24, 2010 9:19 a.m.

tdlawton you aren't trading the Vegas bowl for the Rose Bowl. I don't know if you know this, but only the champion of the Pac gets to go to the Rose Bowl. So what you are doing is switching conferences and going to be playing in the vegas and poinsettia bowls still.

• Dave from Taylorsville
    Aug. 24, 2010 9:09 a.m.

Note to self - remind me NOT to have Dougdug and AggieFan74 as my contract lawyers EVER! These guys can't even read and understand simple english!

Listen guys, as it was in the MOU, BYU was pretty much bending over backwards for the current WAC schools. I mean $700,000 OR MORE if they don't have a recipractive home date with a WAC school.

• Gazpacho
    Aug. 24, 2010 9:07 a.m.

@AggieFan74

As a long time BYU fan who grew up in and lives in Cache Valley, I can certainly understand your reaction. I am well aware of the deep seeded hatred many USU fans harbor towards anything BYU. The trouble is, the USU administrators, both in athletics and in the president’s office were heavily involved in this move with BYU. If it is arrogance or delusion driving BYU, then USU, as one of the most involved parties, is complicit.

The fact is, neither arrogance nor delusion is a factor here. BYU has a product to sell. That product is BYU football and despite what some may say, it is a viable product in high demand (hence ESPN’s interest). Because of the current MWC TV contract, BYU has absolutely no control or ability to distribute or sell that product. This is a business decision. If BYU is wrong about the viability of their product, they will fail and will be forced to regroup (no skin off of your back). However, if in fact they are right, then this is an opportunity that they simply cannot walk away from.

• Veracity
    Aug. 24, 2010 9:04 a.m.

AggieFan74...reread the article...the WAC (Utah State included)would receive additional monies on top of their ESPN contract...their other sports would be nationally broadcast (the ones ESPN) would not air, receiving additional money...all of the games with BYU would be aired nationally...it is called a WIN/WIN...BYU knows that with the MWC it is a LOSE/LOSE situtation...in spite of your comments, Utah State is a winner in my book because of the integrity they demonistrated.

• belgie
    Aug. 24, 2010 9:01 a.m.

You guys are amazing. Half of the BYU-haters are saying that nobody cares about BYU and they aren't nearly as important or powerful as they think. The other half are criticizing BYU for using their marketability to bully the WAC and MWC. You can't have it both ways. Is BYU is big bad bully? Or are they a nobody?

• ridgerider
    Aug. 24, 2010 8:53 a.m.

Tell me who wouldn't go where the money is for your school.... case closed!

• Floyd Johnson
    Aug. 24, 2010 8:48 a.m.

BYU offered WAC fans the best distribution of tournament games of any conference in the country. Which other conference has the ability to distribute all softball tournament games? Other conferences must be interested in distributing games with BYU-TV. "Can you show Montana-Weber state football for us?" How about the Sun Belt track and field tournament, or some of the PAC-10 women's basketball tournament games? The Idaho State symphony perhaps?

Watch BYU-TV over the next few years, I think the station is preparing for significant change in broadcasting content.

• Cougars --Best Little Brothers
    Aug. 24, 2010 8:36 a.m.

@CougarKeith
    Oh, boys, did we ever blow it!!!

We will choose beautiful Pasadena (& first class restaurants) instead of dusty LV (& buffet lines).
    We prefer sunny So Cal (yes even in winter, it's still sunny) instead of snowy Wyoming.
    We selected major, BCS AQ conference instead of mid-major conference.
    We will collect 10 mil+ more in TV revenues.

Bad deal, huh? Such a bad deal that our little brothers became too jealous and have been trying to match/out-do us.

• Fubecao
    Aug. 24, 2010 8:29 a.m.

The most insightful thing here to me was the arrangement for BYU to take one of the WAC's bowl spots. While the WAC's bowls aren't anything to shout about, and hopefully an independent BYU could get a better bowl arrangement eventually, this would have safeguarded BYU from being shut out of a bowl game entirely, which was one of my big concerns about going independent.

• Fiddler
    Aug. 24, 2010 8:29 a.m.

Sounds like a sweet deal for BYU, wish that would've gone through.

That was a very in depth contract, my guess is that BYU is in the process of drawing one of those up with the MWC at this moment and that is why we are all forced to wait. We probably won't get as good of a deal but oh well, still would be better.

• CKS007
    Aug. 24, 2010 8:23 a.m.

BYU will still be waving goodbye to the Mountain West, Craig T, the Vegas Bowl championship goal and his bad TV contract. Nevada and Fresno St did not put enough lipstick on that pig for the cougars to stay.

• sammyg
    Aug. 24, 2010 8:14 a.m.

RE: AggieFan74

Somehow I just don't think that these decisions are made in a smoke filled, room late at night with all the stress, drama, etc. that the word "greed" invokes. Geesh! Give it up.

To think that BYU sees itself as some HUGE SUPERIOR power and "more important than any athletic conference...is ludicrous.

The MOU was nothing more than an agreement that spelled out certain conditions. Both parties were protected by it, revenues and all. I'd really be humored to see what you would think to be a fair agreement under the circumstances.

Giving up the right to play a championship game on Sunday and refraining from Monday nights 'ain't' nothing.

Look what the gov't does to make atheists feel warm and fuzzy during any holiday.

• Ernest T. Bass
    Aug. 24, 2010 8:14 a.m.

This sounds neat. why aren't we doing this?

• scott
    Aug. 24, 2010 8:11 a.m.

"TV revenue $1.5M to $15M+"

Utah will received $0 in 2011

"Trade LV Bowl for Rose Bowl"

Utah is more likely to play in the Las Vegas Bowl than the Rose Bowl

"Trade Games vs. Wyo and CSU for games vs. UCLA and USC"

The dust isn't settled yet. Utah could be playing Colorado and Washington St. instead of Wyoming and CSU. BYU could be playing Notre Dame and Navy instead of Wyoming and CSU.

• MOUte
    Aug. 24, 2010 7:48 a.m.

AggieFan74 |

"Had the MOU turned into a binding contract the conference should have been renamed from the Western Athletic Conference to the Brigham Young University Athletic Conference."

I completely agree and I'm pleased these these details have surfaced. I noted in several posts that BYU would be looking to gain control over the WAC and it looks like they were on a path to do just that. Dictating who would play whom and when?? BYU keeps all the money except when ESPN televises a WAC game. Are you kidding? Boise State is gone, how many WAC games will ESPN televise??

It suddenly becomes very clear why Fresno State and Nevada opted to join the MWC.

• Ute in Chicago
    Aug. 24, 2010 7:47 a.m.

BYU saw how Boise was able to get to BCS bowls, and they decided to give it a shot (play one good team per year and beat up on glorified high school teams). Instead of rising to the level of competition they would see from TCU and Boise in the MWC, they decide to go back to the WAC. Interesting message to send to your athletes.

• williary
    Aug. 24, 2010 7:45 a.m.

This just keeps getting better. BYU sneaking around behind the MWC's back. Complaining about the very TV contract their President helped create. Trying to play a game of chess pitting the MWC against the WAC.

And what happened. BYU was outsmarted by a guy almost every BYU fan would say shouldn't have a job. That's right, The Craig Thompson, outfoxed good ole BYU.

Talk about embarrassing.

Hope the Y likes playing games versus San Fransisco, San Diego, and the other powers of the WCC.

• dj2
    Aug. 24, 2010 7:40 a.m.

AggieFan74:

I don't think you see anything

• DeKalb
    Aug. 24, 2010 7:21 a.m.

CougarKeith,

I think you should count how many teams will be in the MWC. I am pretty sure there are not 12 unless of course Wyoming is now fielding to teams as your post would indicate.

• OnlyU
    Aug. 24, 2010 7:14 a.m.

Wait Cooger Keith did you just imply that Utah should be jealous of the MWC championship game?? I wonder what channel that will be on? I know, I know your BYU Network gets into 60 million homes...but 54 million of those despise you based on comments like that!

• tdlawton
    Aug. 24, 2010 7:06 a.m.

CougarKeith: While I am sure all Ute fans will join me in thanking you for your sympathetic thoughts, please don't beat yourself up.

Wherever BYU lands I imagine the SLC media will spin it as a triumph. That said "Ute Nation" indeed the entire nation outside of the Utah bubble will be fully aware who the big winner was in this summers conference square dance...

TV revenue $1.5M to $15M+
    Trade LV Bowl for Rose Bowl
    Trade Games vs. Wyo and CSU for games vs. UCLA and USC.

Don't hate us just because we are beautiful.

• Cougars --Best Little Brothers
    Aug. 24, 2010 6:59 a.m.

...There will be no sharing of BCS revenues by either party...

lol. So seflfish and "confident" as in "Quest for Perfection".

• AggieFan74
    Aug. 24, 2010 5:31 a.m.

That MOU was very insightful allright. Had the MOU turned into a binding contract the conference should have been renamed from the Western Athletic Conference to the Brigham Young University Athletic Conference. To me the potential deal with BYU and the WAC is about as lopsided as it gets with a very "rich" and "politically" powerful religous based university throwing its weight around with extreme audacity!! It is obvious that BYU already has ulimited financial resources but the two things that the school does not have in the MWC is absolute control over their football revenue "potential" and market share (or marketability) of the BYU slash LDS "brand". If you stop to think about it, BYU sees itself as bigger and certainly more important than any athletic conference or college athletic program in all of college football. What other institution outside of Notre Dame would even attempt to pull something like this off-NONE!!!! Is BYU and the LDS church really that powerful and influential within the collegiate sports landscape. I say yes!! It's about TV money and the Church already owns and operates a mega communications empire. All I see here is greed at the expense of others.

• Wiley Old School
    Aug. 24, 2010 4:50 a.m.

Good grief! The more facts we read, the more it seems that there was some cosmic intervention that saved BYU sports from itself.

BYU owes Fresno St and Nevada a big favor!

• Wiley Old School
    Aug. 24, 2010 4:40 a.m.

"BYU would agree to not rejoin the MWC if that conference were to eventually receive automatic qualifying BCS status."

Wow... bet the fans would have loved that clause!

• Utefan
    Aug. 24, 2010 4:20 a.m.

• So-CalAggie
    Aug. 24, 2010 12:43 a.m.

BYU isn't going back to the MWC, mark my words. This could get very interesting...

• StirringThePot
    Aug. 24, 2010 12:29 a.m.

BYU "running the WAC?"

Looks to me more like they were getting a seat at the table in all sports except football and were willing to bring money and exposure to the WAC.

Plus a 10 year agreement with Hawaii? Nevada and Fresno told us a big part of the reason they bolted was that they could not make money going to Hawaii. "Too expensive." Apparently BYU can. hummmmm.

• touchdownbyu
    Aug. 24, 2010 12:05 a.m.

wow

• Dougedug
    Aug. 23, 2010 11:45 p.m.

Hmmm... so BYU would be running the WAC wow breaking news so in other words they would basically call the shots once again in the WAC much like they and Utah did 10 years ago and make the decisions. Really no surprise there.