Sports

Behind the Mic: BYU's most-experienced QB now a DB

Comments

• eagle
    Aug. 24, 2010 10:57 p.m.

I was wondering if hedgehog was a Y fan posing as an obnoxious U fan to get everyone to hate the Utes. I actually root for the Utes (and the Y) to do well but the hedgester is almost turning me...

• So. Cal Reader
    Aug. 24, 2010 5:31 p.m.

Re: bumpa @ 4:36pm. What do you mean I don't know what I'm talking about? I'm not bagging on the guy. I'm merely referring to him as the position he's currently holding, based on the article-- a 4th string walk-on. I'm all for the guy making it!

• Andermart
    Aug. 24, 2010 5:05 p.m.

Good article. Let's hope he gets a scholarship and plays out of his head. Would love to see him be successful at BYU.

• Utahn
    Aug. 24, 2010 4:56 p.m.

Oldguy....go away and be negative somewhere else. I don't remember reading where he dumps on his old school. (I don't remember Riley dumping on USU). That's ok. They say the mind is the 2nd thing to go.

• bumpa
    Aug. 24, 2010 4:36 p.m.

so cal, you dont know what your talking about. This kid and his whole family are sick atheletes. He is just years behind on the coaching. highschool and collegiate football is nothing in Canada. All the best atheletes play hockey. why not, there is a rink in every neighborhood

• Oldguy
    Aug. 24, 2010 4:23 p.m.

An article about a mediocre football player who, after spending two years as a missionary, wants to hang out with the other Mormons at BYU rather than tough it out among the gentiles in the frozen north. I'm guessing his move has far less to do with achieving some kind of "excellence" than it does with taking the opportunity to out with the brethren (and sisters!) at dad's alma mater (and I remember when father Phil played at the Y). Dumps on his old team the same way Riley Nelson did to USU with about the same chances of being a successful starter. Stories about real players might be more interesting.

• So. Cal Reader
    Aug. 24, 2010 3:43 p.m.

This article cracks me up. I'm from Aztec country (but big Cougs fan!) and have seen few similar local articles on an Aztec starter, let alone a 4th string walk-on! I love it. And I'll beat you guys to the bunch-- yes, a 4th string walk-on is EASILY better than any starter on the sorry SDSU roster!! Great article. Good luck, Dalin, in earning a scholarship!!

• arsphd
    Aug. 24, 2010 3:29 p.m.

Greg Wrubell writing an article about a Canadian making it in Provo as a Cougar... Shocking. :) Nice article, nice to hear about how hard some kids have to work to make their dreams come true.

• ST
    Aug. 24, 2010 2:58 p.m.

I wish him well against all teams except the U ... because I'm a U fan ... then a Y fan.

• bumpa
    Aug. 24, 2010 2:34 p.m.

just heard grumbling in the Raymond pharmacy yesterday that he didnt get a fair shake at qb. They dont know the difference betweeen a star at the u of c, and playing qb at BYU.

• dferg
    Aug. 24, 2010 1:53 p.m.

Yeah, but just wait. I'm sure hedgehog, Chris B, or one of their ilk will have something nasty or derogatory to say about this rising young talent. Just give it time........

• Cougarfan
    Aug. 24, 2010 1:51 p.m.

Best wishes to this fine young man. I hope he can and does acheive his dreams of actually playing, lots of playing for the Cougs. I like his attitude and outlook! I'll be watching and routing for you! You have the opportunity to experience what many of us "fans" wish we would have tried or done!

• itsajelly
    Aug. 24, 2010 10:54 a.m.

This kid is a sick athlete. He can do it all. It will be fun to watch him progress and hopefully catch Bronco's eye. He is tuned into 100% all the time. Nice to to pieces of your Cougar Tracks get a little more play for those who aren't regulars. nice job Wrubel.

• MaxFischer
    Aug. 24, 2010 12:25 a.m.

Dalin is such a rockstar. There is no doubt he will become a regular in BYU's lineup.

• Mountainman56
    Aug. 23, 2010 11:58 p.m.

Nice story, I hope he gets some playing time. This is the kind of kid that makes BYU unique - someone who will sacrifice anything to live his dream of playing for the Cougars. What a lot of people don't realize is that there are tons of kids just like him out there including Riley Nelson and Jake Heaps. That's why BYU will always be successful regardless of conference affiliation, independence, BCS, playoffs or whatever the future may bring.

• Big Hapa
    Aug. 23, 2010 10:57 p.m.

Now here we have sport reporting. Very inspiring story. This kids work ethic and the desire he has is motivating and is what sport is all about, nice story.