Utah

Deseret News introduces Editorial Advisory Board

Comments

• John Locke Ivins, , UT
    Nov. 2, 2013 11:14 a.m.

Reading the News this morning, I felt like I was reading the New York Times. Front page, "Which Sen. Lee will show up at Utah, Iowa events?" Editorial page, Florez writes, "Lee, a rebel looking for a cause." Back page, by AP writes, "Conservative groups seek control of GOP agenda." In past issues this month, articles attacking Senator Lee and the Tea Party have been steady and vitriolic in their content.

Is this really the news? Obama lied about "Affordable" Health Care (ACA), and you ignore it. He and members of his staff knew (as reported in the Federal Register in 2010) that his plan would greatly affect the Grandfathering of health care insurance, once implemented. This is the story...millions to lost their chosen insurance because "Big Brother" does not think it is good enough. A single payer program is what he wants. That is the story, not Senator Lee, and the Tea Party who tried to stop it. If history is not re-written, Lee, Cruz and the Tea Party will be held up as heroes, despite what Florez, Bennett or Huntsman say to denigrate them.

Supporting the Constitution is not idealistic...unless you are a radical liberal.

• Orem Parent Orem, UT
    Sept. 19, 2010 8:30 a.m.

All I ask is that the editorial board shy away from the "trendy" editorials that do nothing but bash public education.

Give support and new ideas but don't belittle one of our greatest resources in Utah, public ed.

We have some of the best teachers out there and they are achieving more with less (in fact the least when it comes to funding).

Hopefully this new board will be positive and build our community up unlike so many other papers that do nothing other than tear down.

It is definitely time for a change.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan
    Aug. 25, 2010 2:31 p.m.

rawlshea,
    You have five categories. Since of the four residents of Utah in this group, one is a Mormon raised in Utah, one a Mormon raised outside Utah, one a Presbyterian who moved to Utah in the 1980s and one a convert to Mormonism who moved here about 4 years ago, I am not sure how you calculate the whole matter.

My other comment is, stop taking a 3rd grader as the epitome of theology. I also nave to wonder if there might be more to the story than you are telling that might at least make the statement seem to have different weight, but even if the child in question was the worst of bullies to act as if all Mormons are guilty for the action of one and to be bitter about it still is over-the-top.

If I blamed all Catholics for actions of some of my Catholic fellow students growing up in Michigan I would have unending hate of Catholics, but I do not do this, and I do not have it.

• L Anderson
    Aug. 25, 2010 11:46 a.m.

Well after reading all the comments, here's the thing. Deseret News will appoint people of their choosing (they own the business)....and we can choose to read the paper or not. (we are free to choose)
    Thank goodness for the first Amendment!
    So far, it's still there.

• ElEnano
    Aug. 25, 2010 12:38 a.m.

This article makes it sound like Deseret News hired someone that has put some thought into what the paper needs to do to adapt to the changing environment of News and what subscribers want. I can’t wait to see what comes from the advisory board and the changes that will come of it.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan
    Aug. 25, 2010 12:28 a.m.

To German engineering,
    Of course, putting 3 Catholics and a Presbyterian on your board is exactly what you would do if you were going for being a more Mormon paper.

Hm, somehow I think I sense a major failure of logical flow. Anyway saying the McConnells or Jane Clayson Johnson are not Utah people is questionable at best. When President Bush appointed McConnell to a federal judgeship he was viewed as a Utah person.

Johnson made her start at KSL. It is in the very nature of modern journalism and academia that people travel all over the country and the parochial view of "Utah people" seems a bit off base.

George is the only member of the board who has never been a resident or student in Utah.

What tells you that the Utah count methods some indulge in do not make sense is that Stokes, who is one of the four Utah people, has lived in Utah less time than Johnson among others.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan
    Aug. 25, 2010 12:19 a.m.

To praxis,
    There are over 1 million Mormons in Mexico. There are only 177,000 members in Canada.

Canada has 33 million people to Mexico's 111 million.

What next, will you gripe that there has been a member of the First Presidency born in Mexico but none born in Canada. That would be a really interesting gripe to react to, since N. Eldon Tanner was born while his mother was visiting her family in Salt Lake City and lived virtually all his life until he was called to be a general authority in Canada.

Marion G. Romney did not live in Mexico at all after he turned 17, and had lost so much of his Spanish ability that when he was assigned to oversee the Church in Mexico in the 1960s he needed to be tutored in Spanish by Eduardo Balderas.

Then there is Hugh B. Brown, who did not go to Canada until he was a young adult, but he served in the Canadian army in World War I and was a barrister. On the other hand he was also a lawyer and stake president in SLC.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan
    Aug. 25, 2010 12:10 a.m.

To from STL,
    Judge McConnell was a proponent of Kagan's nomination. Senator Smith is quite moderate.

Jones is a foriegner and does not identify with any American political party.

If we are going to start guessing people's political persuasion based on no evidence, than I can guess at least one, and probably two Democrats, the later actually based on listening to the person in question moderate a program on NPR, although never enough to say definitively.

In fact I would go so far as to guess at least 3 members of this board are Democrats. However only one of these people has held elective office with a US political party as far as I can tell, so I would challenge anyone else being pegged in a party.

I do not believe Sister Stokes office was elective or partisan, I am under the impression that it was a high ranking career position that in no way was dependent on agreement with the political policies of her superiors.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan
    Aug. 24, 2010 11:59 p.m.

Are Hannah Clayson and Jane Clayson related?

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan
    Aug. 24, 2010 11:58 p.m.

Hannah Clayson Smith was head of the Women's Law Forum, or whatever exactly it was called, while a student at J. Reuben Clark Law School. She and her husband were both clerks under Judge Alito when he was on the 3rd circuit. Smith (I am pretty sure then Clayson) served her mission in the Geneva Switzerland Mission.

She later clerked for Clarence Thomas and then was one of Judge Alito's clerks on the supreme court when he was advanced.

Mary McConnell is the wife of Micahel W. McConnell. I wonder if that would be relevant.

The reaction for another Salt Lake paper to this really shows how adicted to snarkiness its writers are. The Deseret News apoints an editorial advisory board that has 4 people of other faiths (I think 3 Catholics and 1 Presbyterian, but I could be wrong on it) and they say this somehow represents the DN trying to become more of a Mormon paper?

This is possibly a lower perentage of Latter-day Saints than Utah as a whole.

What I think is more interesting is there is an immigrant and also a foriegner on the board.

• sanddog67
    Aug. 24, 2010 10:49 p.m.

I hope this doesn't mean we won't be hearing from Jay Evensen as much. he does a great job of analyzing issues, esp from a historical perspective.

• Stenar
    Aug. 24, 2010 10:44 p.m.

Interesting that 2 founding members (Holland and George) of the National Organization for Marriage, which the LDS church claims no involvement with, are now on the Deseret News' Editorial Board.

• rawlshea
    Aug. 24, 2010 7:37 p.m.

In Utah there are four basic social categories. Native born, faithful Mormons. Native born, jack Mormons. Non-native, faithful Mormons. Native born, non-Mormons. Native born, non-Mormon conservatives. Non-native non-Mormons. The latter category is probably the most important from an economic development point of view. Categories one, two, and four will support this change. Categories three and five will view the change with suspicion. Why can't the Church understand that native born, non-Mormon is an important part of the Utah calculus and include them in the mix? Maybe it is an a third grade classmate told me, "you have heard the truth and not accepted it, and thus,you will be in the next to lowest kingdom, just above Hitler, Mussolini and Tojo". We need to get away from these prejudices. This change on the editorial board does not change the prejudice.

• Ridgely
    Aug. 24, 2010 6:29 p.m.

So why was Matthew Hollands organizing role with the National Organization for Marriage, and his extensive connections to fellow Editorial Board member Robert George, scrubbed from his biography? Or Sheri Dew's long history of anti-gay activism for that matter?
    Does the Deseret News think no one remembers these things?

• Appreciative Des News Reader
    Aug. 24, 2010 4:27 p.m.

This advisory board is an amazing group of proven individuals. I look forward to the contributions they will make. I know my appreciation for the Deseret News will only grow (and so will my acquired learnings). Thank you.

• sundanceguy
    Aug. 24, 2010 3:08 p.m.

What is the average age of this group? Newspapers are losing young readers.

• Convert
    Aug. 24, 2010 3:03 p.m.

I'm impressed that Des News is making changes. And it is good to see a Mexican National on the board. I hope he will truly represent those of his native land. Many of our Mexican brothers and sisters are struggling under difficult conditions either in Mexico or here as refugees. Please help them! they need our support and love.

• Epictetus
    Aug. 24, 2010 1:07 p.m.

This will be an outstanding, highly accomplished, intelligent, and fair minded board. It will also represent very well the newly articulated mission of the Deseret News. Excellent news!

• German engineering
    Aug. 24, 2010 12:04 p.m.

Very interesting indeed. Clearly something is afoot with the D-news. Notice how this new board has little representation in Utah itself. Are they transitioning into a national Mormon newspaper and away from the Utah local news scene? It will be interesting to watch...

• Blue
    Aug. 24, 2010 11:56 a.m.

TMR: "Blue, either you did not read the bios or did not understand what you read."

No - I read them, and I understood them just fine.

The new advisory board features a couple of token moderates but it is otherwise dominated by religious conservatives.

It's the church's newspaper - they can stack the deck any way they want. I'm simply observing that this new advisory board is unlikely to change either the tone or the quality of content in the paper.

The board appears to be created for the sole purpose of giving an appearance of respectability to the editorial positions the paper has always taken on local and national issues.

• bettercomments
    Aug. 24, 2010 11:11 a.m.

This IS news. Things are changing.

Hannity dumped from KSL radio.
    Bold and I think clear declaration of values.
    Assembly of this world-class editorial board.
    Reports of big structural changes according to rumors from City Weekly and Trib.

I'm telling you, we are going to see some great things.

• Henry Drummond
    Aug. 24, 2010 10:46 a.m.

Good idea. I look forward to hearing from each of them.

• praxis
    Aug. 24, 2010 10:42 a.m.

Gee - there is a member from Mexico, but not one from Canada? If the goal is to accurately represent the North American continent there should be a Canadian representative.

Appears the DesNews bias is showing... again!

• Mithrandir
    Aug. 24, 2010 10:40 a.m.

I guess I'd have to agree with the comments about the vagueness (or broadness) of the values... though I think "boring" would be more like it.

The Church News, Mormon Times, and many other media deal effectively with the themes cited. What this reader wants is some editorial media that takes a rational (not pragmatic), freedom-based stand on social and political issues (no, not like the pretend-freedom-defender, FOX). Well, the closest thing the DSN offers in that department is Jay Evensen, whom I'll continue to read.

• Ben Lopshire
    Aug. 24, 2010 10:40 a.m.

Being a low man on the totem poll - I bring no insight to this. I do however believe that is a move to better help the Des News reach a greater audience - to elevate its status among news sources. The values are the same as our company mission - to better align to our ownership. When you consider that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints owns the Des News it helps remove vagueness.

• JHP
    Aug. 24, 2010 10:27 a.m.

Sounds great.

• aljmac
    Aug. 24, 2010 9:31 a.m.

Okaythen, my sentiments are the same. These values are so vague, they can be twisted to mean anything. I've seen a lot of bad people do some bad things based on similar principles, and some very good things done because of these principles, so I'm not really sure what it adds up to.

• fromSTL
    Aug. 24, 2010 8:45 a.m.

I do like the idea of an advisory board, and I am glad some effort was made toward diversity in terms of non-LDS folks and non-Utahns. Still, it would be nice to see more Democrats. I know political affiliation isn't given here, but in some cases it's known and in many other cases it is an easy guess from the bios. Many though admittedly not all of the "values of the ownership" fit better with the Dems.

• Ed Meyer
    Aug. 24, 2010 8:13 a.m.

I'm impressed with the qualifications and diversity of this editorial board as I am with the newspaper's mission. I have two recommendations for perhaps two other members of the board, not by name, but by area of expertise. I believe there needs to be someone with a background in environmental stewardship. Please note that I do not mean activism. I mean someone with a deep history of personally preserving, protecting and increasing the value of our natural resouces. Secondly, I recommend someone with a strong rural heritage. Many of the DNews' readers are from small towns and someone who can provide editorial oversight relative to small town values would be a good addition to this august body.

• Okaythen
    Aug. 24, 2010 7:55 a.m.

Did anyone else find this discussion of "values" and what the paper is going to do to promote them weirdly vague? I guess we'll see over time.

• Freedom
    Aug. 24, 2010 6:21 a.m.

I have to admit I was leery of this new board, but admit I am pleasantly surprised by it's members. I'm familliar with a few of the members and their contributions to society. I am particularly familiar with and impressed by Michael McConnell.

It will be interesting to hear from this diverse group.