Sports

High school football: Colts storm back to win and honor coach Teko Johnson

Comments

• Moog
    Aug. 21, 2010 12:32 a.m.

It's obvious that Alta is on it's way out as a so call power football school. My guess is Alta will soon be 0-3. Cottonwood on the other hand is poised to be on top or at least second to Bingham with alta falling to the level of school like riverton and so-so viewmont.

• RaininTime
    Aug. 21, 2010 1:18 a.m.

Moog: I disagree. Alta made a ton of mistakes that I am pretty sure their coaching staff will correct. You don't win as much as they do and suddenly fall off the map.

• stephr1
    Aug. 21, 2010 7:42 a.m.

As a female point of view.. I understand the debate about positioning schools for the different divisions but I want to add that last nights game was not only exciting and completely amazing but Alta fans and more so the coaches in the Cottonwood Box were nothing but respectful and classy. It sure made this game pleasant and that much sweeter to be able to honor Coach Johnson. Thanks for great game Alta. As a Cottonwood mom, I wish you nothing but the best!

• nomo
    Aug. 21, 2010 7:59 a.m.

Moog let me guess you figured all this out by watching the opening game of the season?. Why downgrade Cottonwoods win by degrading their opponenet?. Typical stupid fan mentality.

• yankee doodle
    Aug. 21, 2010 8:16 a.m.

My hats off to Cottonwood on an emotional win. I agree I don't think Alta is done but if you're gonna claim a lucky win then you need to give up your #2 ranking in the state. If you're the #2 team then you need to execute better and beat teams you are supposed to beat. And they better be contender come November or I want to see you eating your words Parry is a Farce. You got beat so give Cottonwood its due. Alta better bring their A game against Bingham(not that it will matter if you saw what they did to Viewmont, ouch) I think they will be 0-3 though, I don't think they will have much confidence going into the Timpview game after getting pounded by Bingham.

• The Real Maverick
    Aug. 21, 2010 9:39 a.m.

Remember last year how all the Alta people were saying that Cottonwood didn't belong in 5a after they lost?

What do all the 5a trolls have to say now? Cottonwood just spanked one of the powers of 5a.

• cow cow
    Aug. 21, 2010 10:22 a.m.

Most Exciting game i have ever seen. Both sides were excited and both teams played their hearts out. Alta is still a top 3 team in the state and I think they will win their region, but Cottonwood should be ahead of Davis.

• Alta Hawkeye
    Aug. 21, 2010 12:22 p.m.

RIP to Cottonwoods coach. Other than that, cottonwood you got lucky. The hawk flock will regroup and swoop on our next victim. CAW CAW CAW

• Sportfanatic
    Aug. 21, 2010 2:15 p.m.

r.e. Moog

Before I would say that Cottonwood beat Alta, you might want to watch the game. Yes, Cottonwood is a much improved team from last year, much impart due to the adding of the Alta Defensive staff! Ron Halverson is by far the best defensive coordinator in the state of Utah! Cottonwood has a fantastic defense and gave Boston Handley fits all night long, but Alta is also a very good team, who made a TON of mistakes against a great team. You can't do that and expect to win. I guarantee that Bingham will see a much improved Alta team next week, and oh yes, the pressure is off Alta's back to perform. Bingham on the other hand has a HUGE target on their back, that teams all year will be gunning for. Alta has an amazing offense again, and I read in a post that Binghams weakness is their secondary. Boston Handley is a stud and he will regroup. Remember, Alta played against their prior defensive coordinator last night, and did very well. Mistakes cost the Hawks the game. Don't be to quick to say that they are a sinking ship.

• Sportfanatic
    Aug. 21, 2010 2:26 p.m.

Alta made HUGE mistakes last night! 1st game jitters against a very good and much improved Cottonwood team, who was palying with alot of emotion. My hat goes off to Cottonwood for their win. Alta on the other hand is a great team who beat themselves in the last three minutes of the game. Alta will regroup and will continue their dominance in Region 4. I know Bingham is great this year, but their secondary is weak and Boston Handley from Alta is a stud! He has great receivers and an outstanding running back. The offense will score points on Bingham. The question will remain if they can keep the mistakes down to a minimum. Bingham and Alta game will again live up to its hype and I predict that Bingham and Alta will meet again in October. Still the two best teams in the state of Utah, who both respect each other. Bingham knows that just because Alta lost, that they will bring their "A" game next week, and will be very prepared. Bingham has alot riding on this season, being nationally ranked. That's a lot of pressure to live up to. Alta has lost!

• Tyler
    Aug. 21, 2010 5:14 p.m.

A win is a win, no matter what. The whole "Cottonwood got lucky" is just an excuse. If you cannot put a team away you do not deserve to win.

• Kameron
    Aug. 21, 2010 6:11 p.m.

I expect Alta to get their swagger back but starting 0-2 is very unlike Alta. The way Alta beats Bingham is taking advantage of penalties, better penetration at the line, better coverage on special teams and cover #21. Even so, I don't believe Bingham gave up more than 1 first down all game. All the second and third stringers were playing in the 4th quarter. It could have easily been 61 to nothing or more. I don't believe Alta has enough guns this year to hang but that's why we play the games.

• Info Man
    Aug. 21, 2010 10:50 p.m.

Alta Hawkeye: The hawk flock will regroup and swoop on our next victim. CAW CAW CAW

Hahahahahahahahahahah

1- Hawks don't fly in flocks.
    2- Your next victim? (Weren't you the victim of this game?)
    3- Caw Caw Caw is the sound a crow makes. (A hawk screams.)

Thanks for making me laugh!

Alta will be a force in 5A and I look forward to the game next week!

• I Will Be Till I Die
    Aug. 21, 2010 11:21 p.m.

Because Alta's biggest mistakes came in the 4th quarter and led to two Colt TD's, I can see how people might think Cottonwood lucked out. But let me remind you that Alta's two first half TD drives were kept alive by Cottonwood penalties. It's not like Cottonwood played a perfect game and Alta made all these mistakes to give the game away.

Both teams made mistakes, and both teams capitalized on their opponents' mistakes. Both teams had some good luck and some bad, some good plays and some bad ones.

This was one of the most exciting games I've ever been to at any level - thank goodness I'm a Colt fan, so I went home happy.

• BT1984
    Aug. 22, 2010 8:55 a.m.

Sportfanatic;

You predict that Bingham and Alta will play again in October? In a first round playoff game?
    Does that mean you're predicting that Alta will do that poorly in Region 4 play? I don't think so.

For anyone to count Alta out now is a big mistake, especially if they wear Bingham Blue and White. The Miners made plenty of mistakes at Viewmont Friday night. If the Miners do that Saturday night I think us Miner fans will go home disappointed.
    Unless the Hawks make too many mstakes of their own.
    We'll see who can make the fewest mistakes Saturday night. See you at Rice-Eccles.

• Sportfanatic
    Aug. 22, 2010 10:27 a.m.

re BT1984

I meant that Bingham and Alta would meet in November, not October. Yes, that would be the 5A state championship game!