Brad Rock: Rock On

• utahcountyute
    Aug. 11, 2010 4:35 p.m.

"Similarly, if BYU went undefeated this year, it could actually get to a Rose Bowl before the Utes."

They can't even beat a lack luster FSU team at home. Watch out for USU in Logan this year.

• Jealous U
    Aug. 11, 2010 10:25 a.m.

What you obviously don't understand, my young padawan, is that 1983 was a setup year for BYU's 1984 National Championship.

Teams rarily win college football national championships starting from nothing the previous year.

The reason Boise State and TCU are in the national championship discussion this year, is because of what they did last year, and in the years before.

Until we have a major college football playoff, the national championship, has, and always will be, based more on perception, than on actual on-field results.

Theoretically, ANY BCS conference team should be able to win the national championship this year.

In reality, teams like Duke, Washington State, and Baylor have as much chance of winning the 2010 championship as New Mexico or San Jose State.

The reason BYU won the championship in 1984, was as much because of what BYU accomplished in 1979 through 1983, as it was for what BYU did in 1984.

BYU two wins against Top 20 teams, 11-1, and #7 finish, in 1983, established BYU's credibility with the voters, despite what turned out to be a mediocre schedule in 1984.

BYU's 1984 #1 ranking in EVERY major poll proves that!

• Cougars --Best Little Brothers
    Aug. 11, 2010 8:35 a.m.

@BYU Student
    ...I'm not a very good fan. Who wants to have the hard games away? I want to beat Utah, FSU and AFA more than anyone else this year...

Sound like you've already conceded the TCU game.

• GoUtah
    Aug. 11, 2010 8:09 a.m.

@Jealous U

Hey, "jealous of Utah" thanks for the laugh this morning! There's a big difference bettween '83 and '84 rankings. NONE of the teams the tds played in '84 finished ranked. Period! It's too funny that you see it that way.

Just like Oklahoma in '09. Big win for the tds against a nobody. OK didn't finish the season ranked. Good job beating a team that was way over ranked, just like your '84 tds team.

You conveniently left out Utah's '08 opponents' final ranking; beating two top 10 teams, 4 total top 25 ranked teams. The tds has NEVER had a season like that! Yes, the tds was given the "beat nobody *NC," in '84, but certainly didn't earn it.

• BYU Student
    Aug. 11, 2010 2:08 a.m.

Well, it's August and BYU hasn't done squat yet. Actually, nobody has. I won't have a real opinion of this team until they play their first game, where I'll be waiting with baited breath to see if we can shut down Jake Locker. That man terrifies me. So I'll venture a guess for the next 11-12 games after game 1 is over.

I'm not a lackadaisical freshman anymore, but my thought still stands - BYU will not be 11-0 going into the Utah game this year, and Utah will also not be 11-0. We can handle FSU, UW, AFA and others. But TCU? Nope. I don't think it will.

• Y Grad / Y Dad
    Aug. 10, 2010 11:46 p.m.

@ BYU Student - don't know what to think of you, brother.

@ ProudRedUtahAlum - did you really just imply that real game motivation for Utah PLAYERS revolves around dollars and cents???? That we all should be grateful the Utah decided to LOSE to TCU HORRIBLY so that we all could have a SHARE OF THE BCS MONEY????

BYU win all three of the big three road games plus Washington? It could happen...

Utah less than they were last year beating TCU improved upon last year? Just don't see it.

• BYU Student
    Aug. 10, 2010 10:17 p.m.

Ah man, such a solid rivalry. You know what I would love and will never happen? Two 11-0 teams facing each other in November, with BYU slapping the U out of the conference. But, like I said, won't happen. Not with TCU, FSU and UW. We aren't winning all three of those, guaranteed.

What we have here are two teams in rebuilding years. 2011 season will be a better taste. Oh well. I have my tickets, and I'll be watching our easier games in the comfort of LES. I remember when I was a lazy freshman, I'd show up to home games 30 minutes late, find my seat and we'd be up 2 touchdowns over Wyoming or something. And then last year it all came crashing down. At least this year we have a couple of our stressful games on the road. Makes life a li'l smoother. I hate losing home games. I hated leaving TCU last year. That was terrible.

• Jealous U
    Aug. 10, 2010 10:09 p.m.

Not only did I watch the game, GoUtah, I was at the game. And the 1983 Holiday Bowl. And the Miracle Bowl. And the 56-6 and 27-0 shellackings of Utah.

BYU put the state of Utah on the college football map. By the time Utah first cracked the AP poll in 1994, BYU had already won and National Championship, a Heisman Trophy, and been ranked in the Top 25 in both polls TEN times.

And while you're criticizing BYU's schedule in 1984, check out Utah's 2004 schedule. BYU actually played more teams with winning records in 1984, than Utah did in 2004.

BYU finished the 1984 season on a 24-game winning streak that included wins at #13/#15 Air Force and at #17/#13 UCLA and a #7/#7 ranking in 1983.

• GoUtah
    Aug. 10, 2010 9:34 p.m.

Thanks for correcting the MMDS' (Mid-Major Down South) stats. Jealous U is correct about '84. There's a good chance that he didn't get to watch the game, however. I'm guessing it was played prior to his birth?

Most likely . . .

• GoUtah
    Aug. 10, 2010 9:16 p.m.

@Jealous U

Utah has done twice in the past six years what the tds hasn't been able to do for T W E N T Y S I X
    Y E A R S! Wow, that took me a long time to type, maybe because it was SO long ago! So, I guess you've "tanked" for the past 26 years! That's too bad!

Utah has done more for college football in the state of Utah in the past 6 years than what the tds has done in it's entire existence including it's "so called" *NC.

You are correct, however. The tds did go undefeated against a bunch of unranked nobody's in '84. Way to go.

• Big_Ben
    Aug. 10, 2010 8:01 p.m.

actually Jealous U, the cotton bowl was in 1997, after the 1996 season. Your point is the same, I just like to play "fact checker"

@ DuckHunter

talk about an insecure person!

• Jealous U
    Aug. 10, 2010 7:10 p.m.

Actually, GoUtah, BYU had their chance at an undefeated season, and finished with a National Championship.

Utah blew their chance at playing for a National Championship, by tanking after their 2004 BCS busting season. If the Utes had done from 2004 to 2008, what BYU did from 1980 to 1984, Utah could very well have been playing for a National Championship in 2008.

The only reason Utah fans complain about BYU fans talking about the 90's and 80's and 70's is because Utah fans have nothing worth talking about before 2004, in football.

Switch sports, to basketball, however, and Utah fans will instantly start talking about 1998.

BYU's Cotton Bowl win in 1998. Ancient history.

Utah's NCAA championship game in 1998. Like yesterday.

BYU's Cotton Bowl game, btw, was played in 1999, nine months AFTER Utah's NCAA championship game.

• bobcarlisle
    Aug. 10, 2010 6:05 p.m.

it would be funny if both teams lost to wyoming, or something, I love the preseason and how people think its so easy to go to a bcs bowl, I know boise makes it look easy, but BYU hasnt even come close ever.

• utwingnut
    Aug. 10, 2010 5:06 p.m.

Ahhhhh, he called us tds (the Touch Down School).

• GoUtah
    Aug. 10, 2010 4:27 p.m.

The tds and Rose Bowl is an oxymoron . . . Thanks for the laugh, though. "If the tds runs the table . . ." That will be tough with their 0-3 start this year.

No, the tds had their chance at an undefeated season and blew it! They'll need to keep bragging about their big stadium and old *NC.

The only way tds fans enjoy the Rose Bowl is from their seat in front of the TV watching UTAH!

• Duckhunter
    Aug. 10, 2010 4:21 p.m.

Thanks for the belly laugh, that was spectacularly funny. Funniest thing I have ever read on these boards. LOL

• CheckerBoardGrocery
    Aug. 10, 2010 3:20 p.m.

BYU lucked out in their win over Utah last year. Hope they had fun at the Vegas Bowl. They didn't roll snake eyes at Vegas.

• ProudRedUtahAlum
    Aug. 10, 2010 2:35 p.m.

@Kyle loves BYU/Jazz: I don't agree. I think Utah has a very good chance of beating TCU at RES this year. First of all, the Utes haven't lost in RES for quite a while (I think the last loss was to BYU). Second, Utah is going to be HIGHLY MOTIVATED to clobber TCU this year, even if it means the MWC losses BCS bowl revenue (assuming that TCU was undefeated to that point). Last season, if the Utes had beaten TCU in Ft. Worth, the entire MWC would have lost the BCS bowl revenue from TCU's Fiesta Bowl. With Utah's move to the Pac-12 (I love the sound of that), the Utes are not going to care as much about a single short term payday from another TCU trip to a BCS bowl. Even if Utah goes in the game with a loss and TCU has none, I still think the Utes would be motivated to make one last statement before leaving the MWC. The Utes ARE going to be ready for TCU. It will be great to get into a BCS-AQ conference and not have to worry about this stuff.

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz
    Aug. 10, 2010 1:46 p.m.

Lets face it the odds of Utah or BYU beating TCU aren't very goood, let alone beating every other team on their schedules.

If anyone is going to the Rose Bowl it would be BSU or TCU, if those two teams don't make it to the NC game. I don't see Oregon or any other PAC 10 team being better than TCU or BSU.

• metamoracoug
    Aug. 10, 2010 1:45 p.m.

love the comment about dennis rodman.

• ProudRedUtahAlum
    Aug. 10, 2010 1:30 p.m.

Actually, BYU will NOT be going to the Rose Bowl, even if the champ of the Pac-10 or Big-10 end up in the BCS game. What is really going to happen is the Utes are going to 'totally' dominate all their opponents this year (including a 40+ point victory over Notre Dame on national T.V.). With every top ranked team losing at least one game, the Utes will make it into the BCS championship game. Of course, a another undefeated season by the Utes implies that BYU doesn't have a 'perfect' record and, at best, will be heading for Las Vegas again. If the Pac-10 or Big-10 champs do go to the BCS game, odds are an undefeated Boise State will go to the Rose Bowl, which I don't think the Utes will mind under these circumstances. I know what you're thinking, but this scenario is every bit as plausible as BYU going to the Rose Bowl, probably more plausible...

• Buster
    Aug. 10, 2010 1:30 p.m.

"So if, say, Oregon played in the BCS title game, Boise State lost and Utah ran the table ..."

Sorry, I had to pick myself off the floor from laughing...

If the Chronie ran this stuff, the editor would pull it.

And if all the NFL teams had flat tires, Utah would win the super-bowl???

• TrueBlue
    Aug. 10, 2010 12:54 p.m.

BYU playing in the Rose Bowl in 2011 while Utah was playing in the Las Vegas Bowl would be sweet for Cougar fans, but would lead to muss hysteria up on this hill.

• baddog
    Aug. 10, 2010 12:14 p.m.

A lot of you folks need to live outside the influence of the U of U and BYU and read in the cold harsh light of dawn what you write.

Leno at his best never was this funny...take "funny" however you will.

• utwingnut
    Aug. 10, 2010 11:38 a.m.

Hummmm. Wouldn't it be nice if BYU made it to the Rose Bowl this year? Good luck to both teams from the state of Utah.

• brluthi
    Aug. 10, 2010 11:33 a.m.

re: MY UTE

Ummmm okay. I believe this is what I wrote:

"BYU fans, we have to be less sensitive about everything, whether it comes to our sports or our religion."

Where did I mention that we were God's team? And when did I enter the mindless "we're better than you" dispute? I just said we need to be less sensitive about it. Looks like someone needs to get off their high "hill"...

• SoCalUtahFan
    Aug. 10, 2010 11:05 a.m.

Dear Rock-on,

Let me finish for you...
    Both Utah and BYU are unbeaten going into their Nov game. Utah is ranked 4th. BYU is ranked 5th. Utah beats BYU 35-14. Afterward, Utah is ranked 2nd. BYU is ranked 9th. Utah goes to Pasadena. BYU goes to Las Vegas.
    Hello Rose Bowl!!!
    Welcome to Pasadena!!!

• MT UTE
    Aug. 10, 2010 11:00 a.m.

re: brluthi

"whether it comes to our sports or our religion"?

Wow. You need to go take a cold shower, a reality pill, or just plain get out of happy valley.

The last time I checked, it appears that God's team is up North with 2 BCS trophies displayed in the case.

• brluthi
    Aug. 10, 2010 10:54 a.m.

RE: brluthi

Okay okay so I read Otis Spurlock's comment again and it looks like another Ute fan mocking the Cougars. Ha. I think you threw me off because you actually did sound like a "loyal" Cougar fan lol.

I stand by what I said, though. True blue Cougar fans are willing to take hits and don't need everyone to love their team to get over their insecurities. Yes, we hype our team too much sometimes. Yes, they disappoint regularly. Every team does that, even the Utes. Getting angry at your team is sometimes good to help you realize that it's just a game and there are more important things.

• brluthi
    Aug. 10, 2010 10:32 a.m.

RE: Otis Spurlock

Whoa there. Just because we were hated at one time doesn't mean we need to lash out. Take off the sensitive sweater. It's okay.

The last article I saw that was either positive or negative about BYU was one entitled "Latest haul brings BYU that much closer to elite recruiting status." Darn those liberals to heck!

BYU fans, we have to be less sensitive about everything, whether it comes to our sports or our religion. Some people just don't like us. We need to accept it and act like grown-ups.

• byronbca
    Aug. 10, 2010 10:13 a.m.

“if. . . Boise State lost and Utah ran the table” If BSU and Utah both go undefeated, I have a hard time believing that Utah wouldn’t jump BSU in the polls, BSU’s last nine game are a joke and are not even worth watching and Utah’s last 5 games include AF, TCU, ND, and BYU.

But Utah has to beat Pitt first and at Iowa State could be a tough game too. Utah’s schedule is good enough to get them into a national championship game. BSU’s schedule however, is probably the most boring in collage football after their opening game.

In the unlikely scenario that situation plays out we’ll see definitively if it’s more important to start strong or finish strong.

• Utahute72
    Aug. 10, 2010 10:01 a.m.

I guess Brad has forgotten how it works with the press. As I understand it Liz Able provides one credential to each press outlet, which Kyle Gunther was using. Therefore Jan was trying to get into somewhere he didn't really belong.

• Otis Spurlock
    Aug. 10, 2010 9:12 a.m.

BYU is not hated at all. Sports Illustrated has that eastern liberal media bias and can't be trusted. Nobody hates BYU and the fans' attitude. Everyone acknowledges and agrees with BYU that they are so awesome, righteous and yet, so humble.

If there is any hate it is from all of the football teams that wish they could join the MWC. It's all sour grapes.

• Big_Ben
    Aug. 10, 2010 9:10 a.m.

@ Y Grad/ Y Dad

Wait a minute, I dont remember anyone on our side saying that they "hated" BYU this year. (Yes, I know you are tripping over yourself trying to tell me about Smith and Scalley, save it) Pot......meet kettle!

amen to that. rarely do I laugh at Rock's stuff, but that is a good one.

• Y Grad / Y Dad
    Aug. 10, 2010 7:19 a.m.

I think the SI label of BYU as the most hated football team (at one time) is a little mis-leading. The hate from fans of the Team Up North is so intense, undilluted and focused that it skews the national average.

• The_Kaiser
    Aug. 10, 2010 12:50 a.m.

You got the facts wrong. Whittingham DIDN'T eject Jan Jorgenson, Liz Abel, the assistant AD did. She said that she made an executive call, since Coach Whit was busy (as he should be) with coaching.

Coach Whit is, as he should be, focused on having a very successful season. For those TDS fans who were "offended" at this action, hate on Liz Abel (who has recently obtained hero status to Ute fans...).

• In My Humble Opinion
    Aug. 10, 2010 12:14 a.m.

" Rodman was reported to be 'stable,' which I believe is a first."

That's funny right there. I don't care who you are, that's funny.