Sports

High school football: Big boys atop preseason rankings

Comments

• HS Sport Dude
    Aug. 3, 2010 6:12 p.m.

Here are the facts on returning offensive starters....One receiver (the others did not start but did run in about 1/3 of the plays), one offensive lineman, I'll give you the QB but not clear as Hannay took 80% of snaps, one running back (Langi). That is a total of 4 returning starters. Below are starters from 2009 not coming back. Hannay (QB), Copier (TE), Hall (WR), Heaps (C), Laursen (G), Taukeiaho (T), Kanuch (G). Clearly not 9 returing starters and big shoes to fill.

• factcheck
    Aug. 2, 2010 5:31 p.m.

Hey Foorball881. If you take 20% of the snaps are you a starter? I guess if you count starting in at least 1 game, you could make an argument they have like 16 returners on both sides of the ball. You need to get a clue.

• Realist
    July 31, 2010 6:27 p.m.

Bingham is like the Yankees, there are more haters than lovers. The media jumps on the band wagon because they think that is what everyone want to hear. This gets annoying to the rest of the 100+ teams and fans in the state. There are more posts here because of the kool-aid drinkers have all of a sudden taken an interest. I won't however, take away any of Bingham' success, they do have 'scoreboard' on everyone else. Media, all we ask is to just take it down a notch.

• Football881
    July 31, 2010 4:36 p.m.

Bingham has 3 returning revievers that all started, stephan is considered a starter, 2 returning o-line starters, and a 3rd that started o-line 2 years ago but played D last year so he is a returner, a returning fullback, running back, and you can count another running back that started but got hurt. So that makes 10 returning offensive starters if you ask me, Get a clue people!

• eagle
    July 30, 2010 10:56 p.m.

Some ideas for 1-A football:

Scrap it and those schools who want to compete go up and play 2-A football.

Scrap it as said before and all 1-A schools that want play fall baseball.

Get more 1-A schools to play 8-man football. 8-man football (and even 6-man football) is big in states like Nebraska and Texas.

• Loving Retirement
    July 30, 2010 2:26 p.m.

If 1A can't get more than 6 or 8 teams to participate in the football program, it should scrap it and save themselves money and fuel! I don't know how many schools are in 1A, there has to be close to 20 or more, but how could one claim to be champs when less than half don't participate? I could see it if at least half participated.

• Rest Home Bound
    July 30, 2010 2:07 p.m.

I love everything about High School sports! I love football. I have grand children that participate in various sports in both 4A and 1A classifications. Believe me, to those that compete in the 1A class, their battles are just as big as those that compete in the 4A class. But I have to agree with the comments of "Grey Ghost" and "Buzzard". Unless 1A can get more of the schools to participate in the football program, and boy will my 1A grand kids think poorly of ol grandpa, I don't see how these smaller school districts and the state can continue to fund & justify the expense for 6 or 8 teams that have to literally travel one end of the state to the other! There really needs to be more schools to participate in football to make the expense worth it, and to increase a wider feild of competition, making it more enjoyable to the athelete and spectator. This is just one old man's view. That's why I'm Rest Home Bound.

• Buzzard
    July 30, 2010 12:37 p.m.

Re: Grey Ghost

I'm not sure, but I think all the 1A teams ranked in this article, along with White Horse are the only ones playing football this season. There might be one more?. I do believe this year will be more competitive. Rich lost most of their starters and will be hurting to repeat as champs. With all of Rich's hopes and dreams now being placed on the shoulders of Caden Calder, not only in football but basketball as well, he won't be able to pull it off by himself. The only other support he will have is the big hearted,fast, but undersized Cody Groll. Either one of them gets hurt and Rich's hopes of a repeat are done. Rich's talent level will be down with the rest of a still weak 1A feild. I too love to watch football, but I have to wonder how much longer the state will permit 6 or so teams to compete when the majority of the 1A schools play baseball in the fall. Maybe it's time to join them? I'd rather spend time & money watching a wider competitive field of teams.

• Grey Ghost
    July 30, 2010 11:26 a.m.

Is 1A going to be able to feild more than 5 or 6 teams this year? If not, is it financially smart in these hard times to run a half dozen teams up and down the state for a not really competetive program? You would think that if at least half the teams in 1A didn't play football, to make it more competitive, then the half dozen teams that play football would hang up the pads and pull out the gloves and want to compete against the majority of the schools in 1A that play baseball and have a better state tourny! I love football and would rather watch it, but I'm no longer willing to travel up & down the state to watch one team dominate year in and year out! Rich, last year, I know it's not their fault, were head and shoulders above the rest, and it became boring to watch after awhile! Why not bring that talent into the majority of the 1A schools that play baseball in the fall and see what you can accomplish?, espsecially in these finacially tighter times. Just a thought.

• Grey Ghost
    July 30, 2010 11:14 a.m.

• fender
    July 30, 2010 9:47 a.m.

According to American Football Magazine Don Bosco Prep in New Jersey was the consensus number one in 2009 and is also the 2010 preseason number one. MaxPreps is one of the five recognized high school ranking groups, but MaxPreps uses the Freeman computer ranking, not the subjective sportswriters' poll that ranks Bingham #9. Trinity is ranked for 2010 preseason (not #1, however), but Bingham is unranked.

• utah10
    July 30, 2010 8:50 a.m.

Thank you Particulars of no Consequence. Yes, Trinity lost two games in the regular season. They were all juniors and had a qb that never played qb before and still handly beat Bingham in their first game of the year.For those that don't know there is over 1500 or so high schools in Texas and something like 300-500 high schools in 5A and they have 2 5A state championships. 1 for large 5A and another for small 5A. Trinity pounded bingham them but I thought Bingham held their own. Hey Bingham is a really good team and most likey the only one in State that could hold their own. Sorry Bingham plays 1 out of region game and the state championship game and that is it every year. You can't say they should be 9th in the nation with that kind of schedule.

• HS Sport Dude
    July 30, 2010 1:21 a.m.

Bingham will roll....but they do need to replace some key loses of players from graduation.

They had two 1st team allstate defensive backs that were as good as Bingham has ever had and from watching the team last year when they were way up on people, the junior and sophs they brought in to defensive back were not good. It will be interesting to see how they fill the shoes of McCrae and Anderson. It will be also ineterest who picks up the slack on punt and kick returns as Bingham always had great field position after the Anderson kid ran every punt or kick return back 30-50 yards.

Bingham will also need to replace key loses on the O-Line with the loss of Mr. Football and some other big guys. This may be easier than filling the athletic loses in the secondary but I have all kinds of faith in Coach Peck.

• Just my opinion
    July 29, 2010 11:35 p.m.

Football has a different set of UHSAA rules for the three weeks before the season starts then the rest of the sports do.

With out looking up the rule to make sure I have it all correct. They can use helmets during part of the three weeks. So I'm pretty sure they are not breaking any rules. So if any of the football coaches happen to read your comment they all know better so they will just think your someone that doesn't know anything.

I coach soccer by the way. So, no I'm not just some football fan.

It would be nice if you would go the the UHSAA website and read the rules before you try and claim someone is breaking them.

• YOBANFA
    July 29, 2010 8:57 p.m.

I am a little curious why Jordan is not getting a little more run in 5A. That Junior varsity ran the table in their region last year and have a terrific QB in McCoy Hill. Certainly they will be better that Brighton and should challenge for Alta in that region. Bingham will be the class of 5A no doubt. Just remember that the Diggers have a lot of returners and some real up and coming talent.

• Black & White
    July 29, 2010 7:41 p.m.

Soccer Coach-- great question and observation.

The UHSAA rule is that with the exception of (5) days in June and July, there must be a sabbatical from full team practices with their coaches; just like Soccer, Basketball, or any other HS sport. However, the kids are free to get together on their own, with or without helmets/pads and condition together.

I too have driven by theirs and several other fields and I have not seen anyone breaking any rules.

• soccer coach
    July 29, 2010 6:32 p.m.

Bingham is the team to beat? I have driven by their field a few times this week and have seen them practicing in helmets on their field. Is this legal practice time for football right now? For soccer we can only be conditioning and our tryouts are a weak before football. Bingham can win it all but if they are breaking rules than go USC.

• link
    July 29, 2010 5:08 p.m.

3A is going to be good this year Juan Diego will be the team to beat along with Hurricane, even Park City will do well Wasatch on the other hand lost some really good seniors and don't see them as a top 5 team, they have a young quarterback who won't see much time this year that probably should be starting but will get some time and could eventually start mid season with his speed and confidence. Next year on the other hand could be Wasatch's year the Senior class is a little flat this year but with a loaded Sophmore and Freshman squad coming in they will dominate soon! I have to congradulate them on winning the 7 on 7 tournament that is the first time Wasatch Football has won anything in this sport in High School.

• Sportfanatic
    July 29, 2010 4:11 p.m.

Bingham is LOADED this year and ranked #9 in the country. Their only loss last year came to the eventual 5A Texas state champion, Trinity. Trinity this year starts off ranked #1 in the country. This year is Bingham's to lose. I do see them playing Alta for the state title in November. Alta too, is going to be really good this year.

"Mark your calendar now!": Alta vs. Bingham, 28 August 2010 @ Rice Eccles Stadium, 7:00p. This should be a great game, and YES, there will finally be enough seats for everyone to see the game!

• plyxply
    July 29, 2010 2:39 p.m.

particulars - my mistake, you're correct, they did lose those two pre-season games after beating Bingham but ended up winning the state title I believe.
    A factor in that game was the blocking below the waist rule, it was an obvious advantage for Trinity blocking low against players who haven't ever had to deal with fending off that kind of a block. I think physically Bingham was somewhat overmatched, but in reality that game was good enough that if played again it could've gone the other way.

• sid 6.7
    July 29, 2010 1:56 p.m.

This pains me so to admit as I am a Huge Skyline fan but I agree with the 5A voters. Bingham is the team to beat. I think Alta will lose 2-3 games and be happy to make the Playoff's. PG you will be lucky to have a 500 season. Don't count Davis out. I think their the team to shock the Miners this year. I also like Syracuse and with all the kids from Riverton, Bingham and Copper Hills and the Coaching Staff that has been assembled don't be surprised if the upstart Herriman Mustangs make some noise this year.

Skyline is a solid team this year and with the exception of the Hunter match up they should breeze through a weak region. Playoffs? Well that's a different story. I don't know if my mighty Eagles can compete with the likes of the Miners and the Darts not to mention Alta and Lone Peak. I will say this and every body knows it, never count the Duper and his Skyline Eagles out come play off time.

It's going to be a great year, I can't wait!

• Realist
    July 29, 2010 12:46 p.m.

Re: Snark
    Syracuse will make the playoffs thanks to Roy, Weber and CField being in their region. Not as athletic as '08 or '09. I am guessing .500 record. Hard to say at this point.

• eagle
    July 29, 2010 12:35 p.m.

Timpview will still be awfully good. Their line will be first rate, insert Covey at QB and the T-birds haven't lost a step, skill players like Jorgensen and McKenzie returning, great coaching staff, certainly the team to beat in 4-A.

A team to watch might be Timpanogos with another coaching change. There is athletic talent in that school if someone can just harness it. Westlake might be a team to watch with a former T-Bird coach at the helm, he knows the T-Bird way of getting it done. Ursua is a good talent so watch for The Thunder to make some noise. It will be interesting to see how Springville reacts to this personal tragedy that has hit their program. Salem Hills is making progress, not sure if SF will be as good as some think. Their school lost a lot of enrollment. Their success last year was based on a strong senior class but the school's population has been hit hard, they have 3-A numbers (around 900 students).

• Particulars of no Consequence
    July 29, 2010 12:31 p.m.

PureOpinion, you and plyxply may want to avoid further exaggeration. I'm not sure who's 2009 pre-season rankings you were looking at, but no reputable organization had Euless Trinity and their three returning starters ranked #1 at the beginning of last season (or even at the end of the season - they were a two loss team...)

• Particulars of no Consequence
    July 29, 2010 12:23 p.m.

plyxply, why do you make comments on a topic when you know nothing about it?

"the team that Bingham lost to also beat every other team on their schedule"

Sorry, but no...

Euless Trinity was a young team that followed their win over Bingham with two losses:
    Bingham (Utah) September 7, W 42-21
    Cedar Hill Longhorns September 12, L 14-23
    Allen Eagles September 18, L 28-35

• JD Books
    July 29, 2010 12:12 p.m.

Kudos to the Desnews for ranking South Sevier in the top 5. Mcallister built the program now with a steel foundation and the new coach will reap the benefits.

• PureOpinion
    July 29, 2010 12:05 p.m.

MaxPreps has Bingham ranked #9 in the Nation. Bingham lost to Trinity. Who was the #1 Ranked High School Team in the country. And is projected to be the top team in the country this year as well. The game was played in the new cowboys stadium and was televised nationally. It was a huge step for Bingham and for High School football throughout Utah. Harvey Langi and co. played a great game against a great team. They just could not physically compete for 4 quarters, the secondary especially had a hard time. Bring a texas school up to Salt Lake County and we are looking at a different outcome.

• plyxply
    July 29, 2010 11:59 a.m.

utah10 - the team that Bingham lost to also beat every other team on their schedule and won the Texas 5A state title so it's not like they lost to an average Texas team.
    One of the rating services, I think MaxPreps already released the rankings and they have Bingham at #9 in the nation.

• Timp
    July 29, 2010 11:58 a.m.

yea yea ya.. "this might be Mountain Crest's year".. Heard that before. At least this year, Timpview isn't considered the "underdog" against MC like the experts predicted last year

• utah10
    July 29, 2010 11:29 a.m.

Bingham 9th in the nation? How is that possible when they got drilled by a Texas team last year. Bingham is good but would lose 2-4 games in these bigger states. I know Bingham has a lot of returning starters back but after last years loss by 21 points that they are one of the best in the nation. Best in State yes but one of the best in the nation not buying it.

• 2a Fan
    July 29, 2010 11:01 a.m.

Millard ahead of Grand and South Sevier? I thought they lost a lot of quality players from last year. I honestly think Grand can give both San Juan and SS a run for their money, but it does seem SS and San Juan are a level ahead of everyone. The east region will be very strong.

• binghamalum
    July 29, 2010 9:10 a.m.

This is going to be a good year, Bingham is already currently ranked #9 IN THE NATION! That is awesome, started in 05' and its amazing what dave peck and the peck family has done for the bingham football team, I would like to know if Steven Cantwell is gettin any looks, so excited for Bingham to run that Spread option with him and langi, tackling those two all game, no chance! Another banner at the school this year hopefully!

• Snark
    July 29, 2010 8:48 a.m.

Realist, what do you think of Syracuse?

• plyxply
    July 29, 2010 8:13 a.m.

does anyone know who won the scrimmage at Snow College between Springville and Sky View?

• plyxply
    July 29, 2010 8:10 a.m.

this season's championship can definitely be classified as Bingham's to lose. The only weakness they have is not being as deep as they've been in the past with the losses of players to Herriman. Both of their lines are dominant and other than Alta they should dominate their opponents.
    Alta's strength this year is going to be their O-line and lb's and the Hawks should notch another region title to their list and won't be an easy out for Bingham in the final.
    I'm glad to see Bingham and Alta on opposite sides of the bracket this year.

• Realist
    July 29, 2010 7:26 a.m.

Hard to argue with the 4A and 5A rankings. Region 1 will be out of Davis and NRidge for sure. Region 4 has got to be the toughest in the state. If Hunter can keep it together I like them in region 2. Bingham rolls Region 3.