Sports

Utah Jazz notebook: Utah could find 'no takers' in bid to move up in draft

Comments

• moodyblue77
    June 25, 2010 4:15 p.m.

Looks like the Jazz are committed to bringing Boozer back.

Korver, sadly for him, is probably gone.

• Henry Drummond
    June 25, 2010 10:31 a.m.

Why are these two guys always supposed to be next in line for every head coaching opportunity that comes up? Its getting embarrassing. They're always a bridesmaid but never a bride. I'll bet they'll be mentioned for the Lakers next.

• Boozer Bandwagon
    June 25, 2010 9:15 a.m.

We should have traded down since no one would let us trade up. Otherwise, the Jazz should have drafted Ed Davis but I am surprised he slid to number 13. Patrick Patterson would have been decent. The Jazz had offers to move down and should have taken them since Hayward was #15 in my book. I give the Jazz a C-.

• byronbca
    June 25, 2010 8:53 a.m.

If only the knicks had been just a little bit worse. There was nobody left at 9 that I liked.

• Big_Ben
    June 25, 2010 8:40 a.m.

Ultimately, I think I am glad we did not move up. I think it would have required trading Milsap as well and I am glad we didn't do that. I just would have taken ANYTHING to move down. I think Minnesota would have given us 16 and 23 for number nine and a future second. We could have gotten Heyward there at 16. Oh well, but as I said in another thread, KOC has two years. If Hayward is a bust and Koufus and Fes continue to provide little, he should be shown the door.

• cval
    June 25, 2010 8:40 a.m.

Terry | 12:15 a.m. June 25, 2010

Would you rather see the Jazz give up ... say Millsap to move up in the draft to get a guy who may be as good as Millsap in a couple of years?

Good idea for the Jazz to not get caught up in the draft hype. The draft is about long term, not short.

There are lots of ways to improve a team. The draft is not the best way to improve in the short run.

• jefff
    June 25, 2010 8:33 a.m.

I'd have pick Monroe or Aminu without any doubt, but all the players drafted beyond the number 8 had concerns.
    We were unlucky , because with few more NY losses or even only winning the tie breaker, we'd have a better pick.

• RBN
    June 25, 2010 7:33 a.m.

With a sterling 29% shooting percentage on threes, Heyward has all the tools to replace Korver.

• Fuzz
    June 25, 2010 6:50 a.m.

Buckley, what were the "chips" that Utah were holding?
    To find that out was the only reason I read this article and you disappointed.
    How bout' some real investigative reporting.

• Jazzsmack
    June 25, 2010 6:34 a.m.

RE terry,

you hit the nail on the head,

JAzz hsve never taken risks,

they have always been very conservative, just look at draft and trade history, very safe trades, decisions based on money,

and very safe draft picks,

not willing take risks on athleticism and potential.

and they value theur own players way too much,

much more than the rest of the league values them.

• Morgan Duel
    June 25, 2010 6:30 a.m.

So what does D Will have to work with this year?

Okur - Torn Tenden - Few come back from-9 Mil;
    AK- Bad Back -18 Mil;
    Millsap - So So backup- 10 Mil;
    CJ - Incosistent - 5 Mil;
    Price - Inconsistent - 2 Mil;
    Kufos - No Show- 1 Mil
    Hayward - Unknown 1 Mil.

Mathews, Korver and Fes signing again are not much help and will cost another 9 Mil.

So the Jazz have only about how many Mil to work with and they will sign what great Free Agent?

Lets see who can they trade, no one will want Okur, AK, Price, CJ or Kufos.

So that leaves D Will, Millsap and Hayward.

Looks like the Jazz will be Lottery again next year.

• Terry
    June 25, 2010 12:15 a.m.

Probably because the Jazz always want something for Nothing! Hey let me have your top 6 pick for my #9 and Kosta or Fez, what a deal! Unlikely they tried to bargain with anything of real value, they never do anything to rock the boat!