Utah

Naked woman steals police car, resists arrest

Comments

• Baads Yelm, WA
    Oct. 8, 2010 4:46 p.m.

The time of day, 5:30 am is a BIG clue.
    I call them REMbies. She's bumbed out about her failing marriage. Goes to the Doctor and WHAM a prescription to chase the blues away. What meds can suppress REM sleep and cause Mania/BiPolar at the same time? We can all be a bit criminal in our sleep.
    She probably has amnesia of the event. She probably describes it as, if she was watching herself on T.V., like an out of body experience. What drugs have depersonalization, amnesia, mania and sweating as possible side effects? Sounds like serotonergic syndrome.

• family
    July 10, 2010 9:30 p.m.

I know this woman ,she is my sister in law and for those who think she was on drugs she was stone cold sober!
    She has been a "normal",beautiful,good mother for 12 yrs now,no one knew there was any problems.
    She was recently diagnosed as being bipolar and wont take her meds though because they make her very tired & such,plus its hard to convince someone thats mentally ill that they are ill at all.
    She has just lost her husband & her kids who she dearly loved and is a really sad situation.
    If you had ever met her you would never believe this story! She was a beautiful,doctors wife, big in the church and community. President of the PTA!
    I know why the police had a hard time with being ruff with her,they probably couldnt believe what they were seeing!

• wild flower
    June 23, 2010 9:55 p.m.

This utterly disgusting news. I am appalled at such insanity. This looks like a three ring circus going on here.

• So. Cal Reader
    June 23, 2010 5:20 p.m.

At least there's apparently no need to waste money on a hospital gown for her while she's under observation!!

• Pagan
    June 23, 2010 3:50 p.m.

So, she stole one car, smashed it...

squirmed free of police, stole THEIR car, and smashed it.

I would say this is 'impressive' except for the fact that lives had a very real chance of being lost.

'Wow'

• 42istheanswer
    June 23, 2010 1:31 p.m.

I don't come to the D-News for research possibilities, the professionla should do that for me. I come to read the news & enjoy myself.

• utahcivil
    June 23, 2010 12:38 p.m.

@ 42istheanswer - well those types of details would require a little bit of work by the reporter(s). But they are mostly into rehashing the AP or something else like that. I don't actually know the woman but five minutes on Facebook and I knew quite a bit about her. Again, though, that would take some actual investigation.

• I M LDS 2
    June 23, 2010 12:35 p.m.

I'm pretty sure those officers will have to confess to their bishops and receive Church disciplinary action. But the high fives they got from the other cops in their precinct more than make up for that!

• 42istheanswer
    June 23, 2010 12:18 p.m.

The bi-polar makes it more sad (even though stealing & launching a cop car 50 ft is still pretty funny). Those are the type of details it would be nice in the article.

• LDS Liberal
    June 23, 2010 12:18 p.m.

Most likely a side-effect to Anti-Depressant meds....

• LuVePacifica
    June 23, 2010 12:09 p.m.

Funny story!
    naked and Being Tasered

• MrsH
    June 23, 2010 11:59 a.m.

The only thing funnier than the title of this article was the comments?

Thanks, I needed a smile today!

• Utopian_Lie
    June 23, 2010 9:21 a.m.

Show was surely Bipolar. I've seen this type of aggressive, out of control behavior while being naked from a bipolar person I know personally.

• utahcivil
    June 23, 2010 8:27 a.m.

To all those out there that think this woman was a druggie, you are wrong. She was bipolar and appears to have recently had her marriage break up after 10 years. I obviously don't condone what she did but try living with a mental illness and see just how much fun it really is and then you can make fun of her.

• Rational
    June 23, 2010 7:59 a.m.

"Hello, Onstar? My vehicle was just stolen."

• 42istheanswer
    June 23, 2010 7:53 a.m.

KSL has a story about it, no dash cam video. That is what I am waiting for. I can't believe the anchors got through the story with only a smile, kudos to them. I want to see what it looks like when you launch a car 50 feet. Ha ha ha. This is one of the funniest stories I have ever heard. If it wasn't extremely well documented, this would be dismissed as an urban legend.

• rok
    June 23, 2010 7:40 a.m.

Lesson learned here, Don't do meth.

• Jared
    June 23, 2010 7:27 a.m.

Re: Jaws

If we ignore the fact that this was a different police department (that has different policies) than the one that tasered Mr. Cardall, maybe we can assume that police in Utah learned from Mr. Cardall's death and have decided not just to use a tazer automatically on a naked person running around, even if they might appear physically threatening.

• Jaws
    June 23, 2010 12:37 a.m.

How much did this end up costing taxpayers?

• Jaws
    June 23, 2010 12:34 a.m.

Let me get this straight. If a man, as in Mr. Cardall, is taking his clothes off in the street, he gets tasered and killed by the police before he can sit down. But if a hot, sweaty woman is running around naked, well, then, the good old boys have to "do what they can" to subdue her with their hands, run around and such that she can actually steal their own car and total it before they even think of tasering her! If this isn't proof that painful and potentially letal tasering is applied unevenly and completely arbitrarily, then I don't know what is.

• CheColBar
    June 22, 2010 10:12 p.m.

Sounds like a fun morning for the cops!

• michaelades
    June 22, 2010 7:43 p.m.

"investigation of a number of charges, including fleeing, two counts of stealing a vehicle and a couple of counts of resisting arrest."

What about charge her for being naked and why not?
    Since when a naked woman in Utah is free to be naked on streets?

I find hard to believe a woman with mental health capable of doing what she did. I believe she is after media attention using her nakedness as a tool.

Arrest her and let her appear before the court to be sentenced and charged.

If she has mental illness let's see whether she will be naked in jail.

• michaelades
    June 22, 2010 7:42 p.m.

Quote from Cats < "I'm just wondering. It seems to be a pattern when people are mentally ill."

Mentally ill? A mental person is not capable of performing in preciseness manner as she did for the frame time as she took to perform.

Think about: Her mentality was so normal that she focused on taking the cop's car off under the circumstance she found and she did as a Hollywood Super Star.

That is what I believe she wants to be: a Super Hollywood Star using an immoral tool of her own her nakedness.

• Da Shadow
    June 22, 2010 7:29 p.m.

Pardon me, but I'm having trouble with the statement: "About 5:30 a.m., near 5300 South, the road makes several turns..." Is that the ONLY time of day that it makes "several turns"? Inquiring minds want to know!!

• peacemaker
    June 22, 2010 6:33 p.m.

Call Seatle, they have an officer who can advise them of the best technique to use in subduing a violent female.

• michaelades
    June 22, 2010 6:24 p.m.

• Cats
    June 22, 2010 5:57 p.m.

I just have a question? Why is it that when people are mentally ill they have a propensity to want to go running around in the buff?

I don't get it. Does it mean that we all have this repressed desire to go running crazy through the country naked? Is it that we all want to do this but we only do it when we lose our minds and we aren't inhibited?

I'm just wondering. It seems to be a pattern when people are mentally ill.

• barbara
    June 22, 2010 5:25 p.m.

Scaling a barb wire fence naked? I would avert my eyes on that one! She belongs in the cracker barrel.

• PP
    June 22, 2010 5:15 p.m.

There is a video of the whole event on KSL.

• michaelades
    June 22, 2010 5:06 p.m.

What about charge her for being naked and why not?
    Since when a naked woman in Utah is free to be naked on streets?

Arrest her and let her appear before the court to be sentenced and charged.

If she has mental illness let's see whether she will be naked in jail.

• patriot
    June 22, 2010 5:04 p.m.

isn't there some law suit to be filed here? I mean isn't this gender profiling? Where is the ACLU?

• Florwood
    June 22, 2010 4:57 p.m.

A naked woman with a concealed weapons permit?

• williary
    June 22, 2010 4:53 p.m.

This is crazy. Sounds like an episode of "Cops" and "Jerry Springer" wrapped into one! Gotta feel for cops. Chances are this was a person who shouldn't be naked in her own house, let alone in public.

• wow
    June 22, 2010 4:48 p.m.

I think the only thing that was the fault of the cops, is that they were way too gentle when they tried to arrest her the first time. As honorable men, I am sure they were trying not to touch her in places that are of a personal nature. However, when dealing with a crazy person, they should have just thrown her to the ground (face down) put their knee on the back of her neck and put the handcuff on her.

• cynic
    June 22, 2010 4:47 p.m.

Twardy, sorry if my post offended you. I know there are some really good reasons for officers to leave their keys in the car, but an officer who puts himself/herself in a position where the perp can make off with his/her squad car, or weapon, or handcuffs, or pepper spray, or whatever, has obviously done something wrong that has caused him/her to lose control of the situation.

I respect law enforcement officers, and appreciate the sacrifices they make for our communities. I have never been one, but I have worked closely with them and count many among my friends. I'm pretty sure any of them would be saying "oops" if this happened to them.

• VIDAR
    June 22, 2010 4:42 p.m.

can you imagine the 911 call

"yeah, uhhhhhh, a naked woman just stole my car"
    " I see sir, have you been drinking"
    "no, I am not drunk, I was putting up elections posters along the freeway, and a naked woman jumped in my car and took off"
    " ooook, where are you now"
    "I am following her in her car"
    "do you know the woman?"
    " NO, I do not know who she is"
    "how then did you get her car"
    "well when she stole my car, she left her car, so I took hers"
    "I see"

• 42istheanswer
    June 22, 2010 4:36 p.m.

Dang. I would have paid money to see a naked woman jumping a police car 50 feet & scaling a fence with barbed wire. Police don't get paid enough.

• Twardy
    June 22, 2010 3:29 p.m.

Obviously people who comment on taking the keys out of cop cars do not have any law enforcement background nor experience. They should leave their keys in (its like saying don't wear seatbelts because SOMETIMES it might hurt you) - its obvious and helpful on 99% of other calls for service.
    The problem here is they should have tazed her right away..but than people would comment that they wnet too far etc...So the officers can't really win. Crazy, naked, felony theft, approaching you - tazer, tazer.

• flyer62
    June 22, 2010 3:08 p.m.

Cops need to seriously learn to remove the keys from their squad cars when they respond to a call. It takes less than a second and saves such a hassle. Even the victim putting out the signs should have had his keys on him. Simple stuff really.

• cynic
    June 22, 2010 2:35 p.m.

The headline to this story should be:

Officer Suspended After Leaving Squad Car Unlocked, Keys In It, While Crazy Woman Is On The Loose

• Esquire
    June 22, 2010 2:27 p.m.

What a party!

• kge
    June 22, 2010 2:25 p.m.

People on drugs can do things they normally wouldn't do. Save the stae some $$$, she's a druggie and crazy.