Utah

Bridgewater, Lee shine in last debate prior to primary election

Comments

• 2nd lantern
    June 21, 2010 12:07 a.m.

OK...OK...strip away the Constitution. What has Mr. Bridgewater done to fight the federal government's intrusion into Utah's lands? Mike Lee has worked and fought using his knowledge and expertise to reopen 77 oil and gas leases in the Uintah Basin. I am from that area...the climate is harsh, the elements merciless but none of it compares to the abuses from the federal government. What has Mr. Bridgewater done to help pass legislation addressing the Imminent Domain issue with nearly 70% of Utah lands controlled by the federal government? Mike Lee's testimony at Utah's state legislature helped to get HB143 passed March 2010. These are states rights issues. We need a Senator who will work to address these issues. Wait...states rights are part of the Constitution.

• GOPWINS2010
    June 20, 2010 11:52 p.m.

Mike Lee

Come on Utah, stop choosing the same politicians and expecting different results.

Mike Lee for Senate

A man who will stand for principles and direction to return to a republic form of government. The only sustainable government ever created.

• Captain Morgan
    June 20, 2010 11:28 p.m.

Mike Lee = Energy Solution's lawyer

Mike Lee = As senator, would support Energy Solution's radioactive waste agenda in Washington.

• bradleyc
    June 20, 2010 11:21 p.m.

Mike Lee is the man. He gets my vote.

• TRUTH
    June 20, 2010 11:18 p.m.

tell me which Candidate will oppose ALL Govt Spending, enforce the removal of illegal immigrants, repeal Healthcare, cap and tax, labor unions leges and I will vote for him.....until then...I am not impressed with either of them?

• Samuel Adams
    June 20, 2010 10:41 p.m.

Re: James T.

Barack Obama changed out the professor title to senior lecturer in 2004 on his own website. His current website say that Obama also taught at University of Chicago Law School from 1992- 2004; first as a Lecturer from 1992 to 1996 and then as Senior Lecturer from 1996 to 2004.

He does not consider himself a professor (any more that is). Why do you? Do you have some insight that he does not?

And yes I do disagree with BO about the Constitution. LECTURER Barack Obama said "Constitution is a charter of negative liberties" because it did not go into the "redistribution of wealth". His disregard of the 10th amendment could fill volumes.

Mike Lee understands and actually believes in and has a high regard for all of the Constitution. B.O. talks about it but has little regard for all but the parts that are convienient for him politically.

• LeeAnne
    June 20, 2010 8:44 p.m.

I was at that debate and several this week.
    I have admired that Mike Lee is still sounding the same as he did 6 months ago when I started investigating the candidates (his issues have not changed). After months of watching the two, I firmly believe Mike Lee is the candidate who has substance and will stand by what he says. I am happy that the longer I watch the two, the more I am convinced Mike Lee is the only true conservative who acts like he talks.

• James T.
    June 20, 2010 6:50 p.m.

RE: Samuel Adams-

Obama, without a doubt has a better education and knows more about the Constitution than Mike Lee. What he does with that knowledge and how he reads things is another great example why being a Constitutional scholar is over-rated. Obama was a professor at the law school where Lee's Utah Supreme Court-bound brother got his law degree- the University of Chicago.

I have actually wondered how a guy with the Rex family law pedigree only went to BYU. I mean, it's a great school for those of us with more common last names. But I have to think if Mike Lee was a little more on the ball he could've been at Harvard or Chicago- both of those law programs have huge LDS influences, and the Rex Lee name would've gotten him more than halfway there.

Do you mean that Obama can't be a Constitutional scholar because he disagrees with you???

Anyway, I will take my chances with a businessman who refreshingly doesn't call himself a Constitutional scholar- Tim Bridgewater.

• owlmaster2
    June 20, 2010 6:31 p.m.

Mike Lee scares me---

Wrapped in the constitution knowing what it takes to make any changes but talks like he alone is going to educate the Senate and make changes all alone.

Remember the failed "Equal Rights Amendment"?

Lee is all talk with fear added in for good measure.

• coachcarter
    June 20, 2010 6:14 p.m.

Too all these people talking about Lee and his knowledge of the Constitution, uh hello?

The Constitution was specifically written in order for the common man to be able to read and understand it with absolute clarity.

Do we really need an expert in order to understand the Constitution? No, we don't.

FYI Slavery is written into the Constitution

• Samuel Adams
    June 20, 2010 5:56 p.m.

re:what now

Barack Obama, expert on Constitutional law????

bwahahaha!!!! that is too funny.

That is like saying that Ken Lay and Jeff Skilling were experts in Business Ethics or Rick Majerus is an expert in vegan dieting. Thanks for the chuckle.

• the truth
    June 20, 2010 5:55 p.m.

RE: Furry1993

So what are Lee's views if the 14th admendment you disagree with?

you are leaving us all scratching our heads.

• durwood kirby
    June 20, 2010 5:27 p.m.

Sorry, but their best shot isn't good enough for me. Do these guys think that they will save the constitution? I would hope the constitution will save us from them!

• NGA
    June 20, 2010 5:25 p.m.

I thought Lee and Bridgewater were very similar until I learned about Lee's ties to EnergySolutions. Lee has sold out the state's interests before and can't be trusted--all in the name of constitutional law. If you Google: "lee playing utah energysolutions" you'll see what I'm talking about.

Go Bridgewater!

• Furry1993
    June 20, 2010 3:12 p.m.

To Blaine | 1:47 p.m. June 20, 2010

You're wrong. This election is indeed the lesser of two evils, and the less worst candidate is Bridgewater. Lee doesn't have a clue about the Constitution, aside from how to use it as a tool to reprsent a client whose interests are expressly different from those of the citizens of Utah -- his comments concerning the 14th Amendment make that very clear. Both are bad, but Lee is bigger of two evils. Utah deserves better.

• James T.
    June 20, 2010 3:03 p.m.

Mike Lee supporters (or staffers?) Are dropping the word "Constitution" like nobody else has any idea what the document is or how to "defend" it. His campaign has taken Glen Beck rhetoric and claimed it for themselves, implying that they are what Beck means.

From the debates, there will be little if any difference between how Lee or Bridgewater vote on ANY issue. So I don't get what Lee's "defense" of the Constitution will bring to the table that is different from his competitor.
    I voted for Tim Bridgewater. I think a business mind is exactly what Washington needs right now. And I am sick of Lee's supporters (if not Lee himself) dressing him up in the Constitution- it's tacky to try to make a 200+ year-old document part of your campaign team.

• Furry1993
    June 20, 2010 2:46 p.m.

To familyofsix | 1:15 p.m. June 20, 2010

I know exactly what I'm talking about. I AM informed that's why I wouldn't vote for Lee for dogcather I will be voting for the less worst candidate, and that ISN'T Lee.

Lee has no clue about the Constitution, as can be shown by his comments concerning the 14th Amendment to the US Constitution. He hasn't built his platform on the Constitution -- he merely gives it lip service and uses it as a tool when he represents his clients -- and he clearly doesn't stand up for the wants and needs of the people of Utah. He is, at most, a shill for Energy Solutions and a tea party toady.

I will hold my nose and vote for Bridgewater in the primary, just to keep Lee from doing damage, and then vote against Bridgewater in the general election because he would be terrible for Utah too. As I said, Lee is a disaster and anybody would be better than him. Utah, and the United States, deserve better.

• geewiz
    June 20, 2010 2:46 p.m.

The bottom line for me is who will walk the walk after all the talk.

That candidate is Mike Lee.

He is the true consistent, conservative. He has a track record of fighting for liberty and Constitutional principles -- even when not popular. He is devoted to limited government. That's what we need.

Government is not a business! It must be run according to the limited powers of the Constitution. That hasn't been the case, and that's why we're in a mess.

• Blaine
    June 20, 2010 1:47 p.m.

This appears to be one of those rare elections where we don't have to pick "the lesser of two evils." My vote is for Lee, but it was a tough decision. Either man will be a step in the right direction toward restoring the US Constitution. Now if the voters in all other states would "throw out the bums" and replace them with leaders like Lee and Bridgewater, we'd make some real progress.

• chris8484
    June 20, 2010 1:21 p.m.

I agree with the last post. Bridgewater is the better candidate although neither candidate will represent Utah well. Both have ties to special interests and lack the leadership that we need for an elected official. Their radical Tea Party views do not mesh with most Republicans in this state. I will vote for Bridgewater reluctantly in the primary election and then will vote for his democratic opponent as a protest vote.

• familyofsix
    June 20, 2010 1:15 p.m.

Furry1993, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, and your comment speaks for itself. Especially if your values don't support the common sense view and values from either candidate. Get informed. Btw, I'm supporting Mike Lee as he's head and shoulders a stronger candidate all round, and one with a rock solid constitutional foundation that he's built his platform on.

• familyofsix
    June 20, 2010 1:08 p.m.

I know Mike Lee personally and can honestly say that he's a very good man and completely true to what he says he stands for. I believe his skill and experience in working with those who debate and create laws for our land will be a great strength in upholding our core conservative values. While both candidates are good men, I sincerely believe Mike can best represent the majority of Utahns as a Senator, including the key area of business and private sector focus, which is where real economic growth originates. Mike understands that as well as all other issues extremely well. Please get your friends and family out to vote in the primary, I have no doubt that this is going to be a very close race.

• Furry1993
    June 20, 2010 12:56 p.m.

My husbnd and I have seen enough of the candidates to put aside our independent registration for this election (and then re-register as independent/no-party as soon as we are able . . . and tell the Republicans to take us off their data base). We are doing this because we have seen one candidate who would be an absolute disaster if he ever became Utah's Senator. We will be voting for Bridgewater and (specifically against Lee) . . . not because we think Bridgewater is the best, but because he wouldn't be a disaster for Utah. He's not good, but he's less bad than Lee.

• WHAT NOW?
    June 20, 2010 12:48 p.m.

MIKE LEE is an attorney.

BARAK OBAMA is an atorney.

MIKE LEE is an expert on Constitutional Law.

BARAK OBAMA is an expert on Constitutional Law.

We don't need any more MIKE LEE or BARAK OBAMA types in DC.

WE need a person with a background in business.

TIM BRIDGEWATER has my vote!

• pam dale
    June 20, 2010 12:09 p.m.

Short and sweet — Tim Bridgewater uses the same tactics that the Left uses to hijack the voters — lies and false promises. He’s desperate and is now saying and doing whatever it takes.

There is only one constitutional conservative running in Utah for the US Senate, and that’s MIKE LEE.

We must rise to the call of our countrymen. Utah must do it’s part to send the most qualified and most conservative representative to Washington to defeat them — otherwise, my friends, we have lost all.

• pam dale
    June 20, 2010 11:30 a.m.

Mike Lee is the right choice for Utah's next US Senator. Mike has the experience and the education to fight Washington and win.

Mike is a constitutional attorney, and that's the kind of statesman we need. Both men have been successful in business, but Mike Lee is the man armed with knowledge to back up what he wants to get done - for Utah and for the USA.

Mike Lee definitely has my vote - it's not even close. Sending Bridgewater would be a resurrection of Bob Bennett. Is that what's best for Utah and the USA?

• june
    June 20, 2010 10:13 a.m.

It matters not rich or poor, lawyer or businessman, country or city, brown or white; the principles and values are the standards to use to determine who's the person for the office; dog catcher or president for whichever party. I have studied and studied the issues and how these two men have lived their lives and applied their words. All of us have a ways to go to be in concert with what we believe. I feel that Mike Lee is more close to that application of word and deed. He is not perfect, but there is a shorter gap between word and deeds than his opponent has expressed. In my opinion Mike Lee is the Man for the Senate Now.

• Samuel Adams
    June 20, 2010 10:11 a.m.

Two good and honorable men, in my estimation, but Mike Lee will be my vote.
    Mike Lee has a better grasp on the issues and the expertise to make a difference. He is rooted in the same solid principles upon which this country was founded and the common sense and down-to-earth demeanor that will represent us well. Go Mike!

• one vote
    June 20, 2010 9:52 a.m.

Shawn Hannity vs. Coulter, same difference and logic.

• stanard
    June 20, 2010 9:11 a.m.

Mike Lee is a true Constitutional Conservative. If you (Like Me) are looking for a Senator who can and will fight to limit the federal government, and get government spending under control, Mike Lee is your man. He can quote the same Supreme Court decisions back to Congress that they use to justify many of their actions, and point out where they are WRONG.

Mike Lee is the only candidate in this race who has NEVER profited from earmarks and federal stimulus money, never used taxpayer dollars to fund private overseas business ventures, and how has never supported (and profited from) non-conservative legislation such as No Child Left Behind and Medicare Part D (with $19 trillion in unfunded liabilities).

Mike Lee is the one in this race who can and will do what he says. He has the conservative Coalition in place, with Jim DeMint, Marco Rubio, Rand Paul, Pat Toomey, Ken Buck, Sharon Angle, and other, to hit the ground running on day one of the Senate to fight for Constitutionally limited federal government.

Vote Mike Lee.

• MrGov
    June 20, 2010 8:59 a.m.

I'm a Democrat, but I have to admit that Republicans have a way of cutting to the chase. Ben Horsley's question asking what would they do if Congress attached a repeal of the "Don't ask, don't tell," policy onto a military funding bill is one of those questions that separate the candidates of the two parties.

Republicans don't want to manipulate social policy in the military when our service men and women are at war. Democratic leaders in the U.S. House, though, saw fit to add the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" as an amendment tacked onto the "National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2011" (H.R. 5136). It passed the House on May 28 with Jim Matheson voting for both adding the amendment and voting for the final bill. Chaffetz and Bishop both voting in opposition.

• trv
    June 20, 2010 8:29 a.m.

As I understand the situation, the Mike Lee camp pulled out of the debate at Merit Medical debate because of changes made in the format and location. Some of Lee's advisers felt that the debate events were being manipulated by several people closely connected to Bridgewater, including Lampropoulos and Eagar. Someone calling into question the appropriateness of Shurtleff's hosting would probably have known these details - yet they seem to be deliberately unmentioned.

Whether or not someone disagrees with Lee's concern about the involvement of Lampropoulos and Eagar, it seems a bit disingenuous to harp on Shurtleff's connection and ignore the Bridgewater influence on the Merit Medical event.

• Warren Kay
    June 20, 2010 8:27 a.m.

Agree with previous writer, both are good men and will represent Utah's values well. However, I believe Mike Lee will be much more effective in working within congress than what Brigdewater would be.

Mike Lee on June 22nd.

• trv
    June 20, 2010 8:13 a.m.

I have followed the election for the entire year, attended Lee and Bridgewater presentations and debates, and concluded that Mike Lee's pocket constitution is far from a prop - he actually believes in the Constitution. Listen to him for awhile and you will know that Mike Lee knows and loves the Constitution. It is his lens for viewing every issue. Anyone who would say that "he waves his little pocket constitution around like a prop" has either been poisoned by ugly campaign propaganda or is simply a Democrat. Whether you support Bridgewater or Lee, at least give each the credit they deserve for the sincerity of their own convictions.

• silas brill
    June 20, 2010 7:54 a.m.

"Lee said while Obama's children attend a costly private school, low- and middle-income kids don't have that same opportunity."

- This is the same argument the advocates of government health care are making.

"Bridgewater said wartime isn't a good time to be messing with military policy."

- This is bogus argument. We're always at war.

• MikeRidgway
    June 20, 2010 3:51 a.m.

Actually, there was one more "last debate" yesterday evening where Mike Lee not only didn't "shine," he didn't appear.

I listened at length to the two organizers of the event that was held at Merit Medical yesterday trying to be gracious but having a hard time given the grief they've been put through in the last several days since Mike Lee and his staff pulled him out of what was to have been a debate that would have been moderated by former Republican Governor Olene Walker.

Somehow, it seems that Mike and company could have handled this better. A lot better.

Which brings me to the question of what is Mark Shurtleff doing hosting a debate when his name, face and voice are all over Mike Lee's campaign literature, his television and radio ads, and his autodialers as an endorser?

• Ange
    June 20, 2010 2:23 a.m.

I don't like that Mike Lee waves his little pocket constitution around like a prop

• Seriously?
    June 20, 2010 12:24 a.m.

Still a Tim fan. I'll just be glad for it to all be over on Tuesday. Can't wait to see what the silent majority has to say!

• Jurri
    June 19, 2010 11:12 p.m.

Good debate.

Mikes the guy for me.

• Utah_1
    June 19, 2010 9:13 p.m.

I was there.
    It went well. Good answers on both sides overall.

Tim Bridgewater

I have watched Tim for over a year, and I believe he is the best US Senate candidate in the primary. Tim's attitude and methods and his actions have impressed me. Words alone are not enough.