Utah Utes leaving Mountain West Conference to join Pac-10 in 2011

• NW Coug
    June 19, 2010 7:47 p.m.

Maybe with the additional money from the Pac, Utah can afford to have all the olympic sports on their docket. That would be fun to see.

• NW Coug
    June 19, 2010 7:45 p.m.

I hope the rivalry continues in sports outside of football and basketball. We'll see, though.

• Babaluga
    June 19, 2010 2:55 p.m.

AZGuy- Please educate yourself before yapping- BYU's average final ranking over the past 6 years is #32!!

The Learfield Sports Directors' Cup Rankings of overall Athletic Department success- as close to an overall objective comparison as can be found.

2009-2010- BYU #34 vs. Utah #67 (FYI 8 of the current PAC-10 schools ranked above #33) only Oregon State(#73) and Washington State (#145) were below Utah's ranking. Go to the nacda wesite for rankings

BYU's previous rankings ( amazingly great compared to the Utes dismal results)
    Fall: 24th (166 pts.)
    Winter: 45th (306.5 pts.)
    Final: 47th (453.75 pts.)
    Fall: 16th (212.75 pts.)
    Winter: 32nd (385.75 pts.)
    Final: 41st (513.25 pts.)
    Fall: 15th (222 pts.)
    Winter: 29th (406.60 pts.)
    Final: 26th (698.60 pts.)
    Fall: 22nd (167 pts.)
    Winter: 33rd (346.25 pts.)
    Final: 31st (512.5 pts.)
    Fall: 28th (141 pts.)
    Winter: 33rd (339 pts.)
    Final: 27th (561.5 pts.)

• worf
    June 18, 2010 7:30 p.m.

Let me make this perfectly clear!

1. Utah will never be playing in a national championship game.
    2. Fans are more interested with wins. Utah will not have as good of a win-lose record they enjoyed in the MWC.
    3. Refs in the pac-10 are controlled. They'll call games to favor Southern Cal (or others) so more money will flow from bowl or championship games. Money flow is more important than honesty and Utah can't compete with some of the others for the big bucks. The purpose for Colorado and Utah is for conference championship games and you can figure which teams will be in it. It won't be Utah against Washington State. Maybe one of them against UCLA, Cal, or Southern Cal, but not likely. How long are people going to be fooled before someone figures it out? It's money!

• NewMexicoUte
    June 18, 2010 6:51 p.m.

byu=zero BCS
    byu=go Ute$

• NewMexicoUte
    June 18, 2010 6:48 p.m.

BYU=zero BCS
    BYU=Go UTE$!!!

• Payson40
    June 18, 2010 6:33 p.m.

Not to mention with Basketball how this affects sure we lost Utah but the Pac 10 isnt nearly as good as MWC in college basketball, they only had 2 teams in the tourny which they only should have had 1. With the MWC having 4...

• Payson40
    June 18, 2010 6:30 p.m.

Can you really say that the PAC 10 is superior to the MWC?
    USC is without 2 years of bowl games and without Pete Carrol good bye all american recruits
    Oregon is without their starting QB from last year and the only team that is going to be a real threat to the BCS this year will be Washington.
    On the other hand the MWC got better than not, Boise State can replace Utah with no problem. They have been to as many BCS games as Utah has, and they were the winningest college of the last decade.
    The Pac 10 is in serious trouble if they think Colorado is going to help them improve in wins.

This year is going to be so funny because TCU is going to go undefeated again and so will Boise State and Boise will win the National Championship, so that will top the Pac 12 when it comes to be the MWC will have 3 national championship teams and 4 BCS Bowl appearances without Utah. If Utah would have stayed you cant say that the MWC isnt in the top 3 conferences in country. Maybe Utah made a mistake this time...

• Wow!
    June 18, 2010 10:32 a.m.

Why wouldn't Utah take this opportunity? MORE MONEY, MORE SUPPOSED PRESTIGE, AND A WAY OUT OF THE MTN. NETWORK. They made the right choice. I have always hated the UTES and have never wanted them to do well, now that they are in a different conference I WILL WANT them to win every game except when they play us. I hope they do well in the PAC-10. This shouldn't be a suprise to anyone Utah has been very good OF LATE and PAC-10 won't take private schools especially religious schools.

You Utes saying BYU=Irrelevant may I remind you of the last 3/4 in football and the last how many in a row in basketball, before you crow too loudly Colorado was the other team that accepted, who are they?

Having said that Cograts, goodluck, and I hope you win the Pac-10 the first two years that you're in it to prove a point we've been saying for years. That will make our beating you all the more fun!!!!

• MichiganCoog
    June 18, 2010 9:13 a.m.

• superute
    June 18, 2010 12:33 a.m.

BYU = irrelevant.

• chuckie
    June 17, 2010 11:32 p.m.

WestCoast1 | 10:16 p.m. June 17, 2010
    "One would think that you, as a supporter of BYU, would be more positive and supportive of other programs, particularly your "rival"."

Why do we have to be supportive of a program moving because it's their only chance to do what we have done. You haven't won a game PAC game yet...

It's like when Karl Malone couldn't win in the NBA Finals so he went to the Lakers. Did he need congratulations from Jazz fans?

So you need help to get a NC. So you go to PACland because you can't do it on your own. Come on little whiners. Be Adults. How many Utah fans congratulate BYU for the NC. It's all "astrisk, mythical, accidently backing in"...

But you want a congratulations? Go pat yourselves on the back. Live long and prosper. Whine about Dick Harmon, but don't whine to BYU...

BYU fans are proud of their tradition, 3 out of 4 scoreboards, and scorecoard last year in basketball and football. BYU fans are fine with you heading somewhere else to do what we have already done.

Just say goodbye... And go...

• WestCoast1
    June 17, 2010 10:16 p.m.

You let your animosity and hatred toward the University of Utah come out in each of your posts. What gives? Why not get off your soap box and allow the university to enjoy its moment in the spotlight? One would think that you, as a supporter of BYU, would be more positive and supportive of other programs, particularly your "rival" university. But, I guess like Max Hall, its okay for you to verbally cut down your competition. Right?

• BleedCougarBlue
    June 17, 2010 7:59 p.m.

Man, Boise State kind of got sucker punched!

MWC: "Come and join us! We'll have 4 super-strong teams! Credibility abounds!"

Boise State: "Sounds GREAT!"

MWC after Utah leaves for the PAC 12: "Did we say four super-strong teams? We meant 3 great teams."

• Chris B
    June 17, 2010 5:45 p.m.

I see TCU as the only tough MWC game. With harvey gone, I don't see TDS doing much and we always find a way(barely) to get by air force.

It's a 50% chance of winning the conference, and I'd say a 30-40% chance of a BCS game, as I personally think PITT is WAY overrated. Well work them just like the fiesta bowl.

• hambone
    June 17, 2010 5:01 p.m.

I love utah utes but this season in football is going to be a tough season in the mnt west. They don't move untill 2011 people so I hope they are prepared to have even a bigger target on there backs while playing conference games. Go Utes don't forget you still have to play tough in the Mnt. West. And remind the pac 10 they are not getting a cake walk of a program.

• Buster
    June 17, 2010 4:55 p.m.

--AZguy | 4:21 p.m. June 17, 2010

Don't sweat it. It seems we are all on the same page if we see everything that is said or written for what it is.

Of course the PAC is going to welcome Utah, but there is more needed from Larry Scott.

The PAC is hurting both competatively in athletics, and financially. They need to expect more from Larry Scott. I just wonder if if the PAC is even in position to demand much.

• AZguy
    June 17, 2010 4:21 p.m.

Easy Buster-I said it yesterday and I will say it again. Larry Scott swung for the fences and got a single (that was the ESPN quote from early this week). I will call it a double with the inclusion of the U.

My guess is that the revenue for the conference will the same as it is today for each existing school because UU and CU's inclusion will bring a conf. champ whick is worth $10,000 large in itself.

Then after a new TV deal, all existing PAC-10 schools will be better off than they are today.

Another point that I forgot earlier. On the radio in comparing RES capacity of 45K to Sun Devil Stadium of 75K, the fellas brought up the point that a 45K stadium filled (RES) is a better venue than a 75K venue with only 45K in attendance. It was not my point, but I agreed with them. So, the importance of RES being expanded would be only to the point where it can be filled. Autzen is only 50K, but it is a tough place to play.

• Martin Smith
    June 17, 2010 4:18 p.m.

Having been raised in SEC country most of my life and being a transplant to the state of Utah, I have watched the MWC over the years and have grown to love the MWC. I pull for all MWC teams regardless of who they are playing out of conference. Me, like alot of people are sick of the BCS and would like to see their demise. Though I have grown to be a strong BYU fan, you have to give credit to the U of U. They have got it done and I can't blame them for leaving the MWC. I would have liked to see them stay because they helped the MWC in terms of credibility. And with the addition of BSU, it would only been a short while before the MWC would be AQ. I hope the run for the money won't bite the U in the rear down the road. If BYU wants consideration from another AQ conference, they need to prove themselves on the football field and start getting to BCS games and win them. But regardless of what BYU does, I admire coach Mendenhall and the program he runs there.

• AZguy
    June 17, 2010 4:00 p.m.

No offense TAGZZ, I swear. Just asking. Don't know where the cow pasture reference came from. If LES used to be a cow pasture, I would not be offended with the 'pasture'-ala 'the farm' at Stanford. I think that would be catchy. it would be a good history lesson to show how it went from a cow pasture to a 65K fan stadium with a sweet big screen and outstanding media resources.

BYU's director's cup scores always go down in the spring. They score men's volleyball different now and we get no points if we do not make it to the final four. It was sweet to get 100 points for volleyball though. If UU gets any points for gymnastics, their score will jump up by at least 50 points. I have argued those scores with my ASU peeps for years to no avail. You have to wait until the final scores after baseball-in two weeks.

Oh yeah-go Devils in the College World Series.

Go Cougs the rest of the time!

Once again, congrats on your $10,000 large annual payday. I am green with envy over your green.

• Buster
    June 17, 2010 3:41 p.m.

--AZguy | 3:17 p.m. June 17, 2010
    "ESPN radio in PHX is welcoming UU into the conference. Lots of respects as compared to Greg Hansen from the Tucson daily star."

Of course they are.

One thing to get out of the way,

Greg Hansen's article was not meant to be a Colorado/Utah bash.

It was meant to ask what Larry Scott and CCA's next move was.

If all Larry Scott and CCA could do was get Colorado and Utah, then he is asking "What was the point?"

Now, with Colorado and Utah they can have a playoff, which is nice, but if anyone has been following the story, the cash strapped PAC-12 schools need more money. While it is a windfall for Utah, the PAC-10 schools needed more.

That is his point. To keep pushing Larry Scott, and if Larry Scott has something else up his sleeve, it means more money for Utah.

Take his article for what it is.

A great day for Utah, but not the Huge move the PAC-10 wanted.

June 17, 2010 3:36 p.m.

I know that the University of Utah is not superior to BYU... I wish BYU Fans could congratulate us and move on as well as Utah fans but there always has to be somebody on here that have to go to far with derogatory comments... I will admit that I have said some stuff on here that I would take back but I don't see any BYU Fans saying the same thing...

AZGUY as far as calling it the RICE bowl I do take offense to that... We don't call LES the Cow Pasture... Just saying!! And it isn't a bowl yet... A Bowl is whole and doesn't have one side with 2 gaps on it...

• Babaluga
    June 17, 2010 3:34 p.m.

Congrats on the invitation- too bad there are 6 other refused addresses marked on envelope. Being the PAC-10's sixth choice is a bit depressing- but it is an invitation nonetheless.

I know Ute fans don't like actual facts or records when attempting to compare themselves against their instate big brother BYU, but let's look at them anyway-

The Learfield Sports Directors' Cup Rankings of overall Athletic Department success.

Last year's Deseret Duel was not even close- nod to BYU. BYU 47.5 vs Utah 15.5

• thegunslinger
    June 17, 2010 3:33 p.m.

Ok Utes- congrats on the invitation- too bad there are 6 other refused addresses marked on envelope. Being the PAC-10's sixth choice is a bit depressing- but it is an invitation nonetheless.

I know Ute fans don't like actual facts or records when attempting to compare themselves against their instate big brother BYU, but let's look at them anyway...

Last year's Deseret Duel was not even close- nod to BYU. BYU 47.5 vs Utah 15.5

• AZguy
    June 17, 2010 3:27 p.m.

Hey U fans-

Is it derrogatory to call RES the Rice Bowl? Some guy did on this thread and did mean it in a derragorty way, but I think it is a catchy nickname and pretty cool. Just askin.

Here, the field for the AZ Dbacks will always be the 'BOB' (bank one ballpark), not Chase Field for me....

I don't want to demean the contributions the Eccles family gave, but I think that is a nickname that could stick if you wanted it to-ala 'USC playing UU at the Rice Bowl in SLC.'

• AZguy
    June 17, 2010 3:17 p.m.

As I thought about it, UA has never been to the Rose Bowl, so maybe they are just ticked off.

Acknowledgement of the recent BBall struggles, but many references to the past.

Basically, said it is a good fit for the PAC 10. Their prognostication is a 3rd or 4th place finish in football next fall. That is some pretty high praise and about the best that could be expected.

Just some FYI to all the U fans.

• AZguy
    June 17, 2010 3:06 p.m.

Who is the dude that said Utah is superior athletically? I forget his name.

Really? BYU/Utah football is 10-10 over the last 20 years and you are saying the U is superior? Wasn't the basketball total county 125-125 recently over the last 100 years. I know you are trying to knock down your BYU brothers with your infammatory numbers, but that statement was rash.
    Academically? That can be argue on what the basis is for judgement. Research and research funding or university education.

Whether you like it or not (and whether I like it or not) BYU and UU look each in the eyes in a lot of ways.

I am just asking you to chill. Your school is not elite in athletics or academics, just like mine.

June 17, 2010 2:54 p.m.

TRUTH... I was Allstate in 3 sports my Junior and Senior year, but what does this have to do with the article... Being on the All State Team in Utah is like being on the practice squad for a high school team in Texas and California... You make me laugh... I am going to write down what you just said and laugh about it later tonight with my son!!

• Buster
    June 17, 2010 2:12 p.m.

Uteology | 12:12 p.m. June 17, 2010
    Fiddler | 11:49 a.m. June 17, 2010
    "Greg Hansen is a Utah State Aggie, nuff said."

Nuff said, what does that even mean? So he went to USU? Greg Hansen is a longtime Arizona Daily Star columnist, and considered a fair-minded writer.

Usually, as in this case, "nuff said" means there is nothing to back up the argument.

The article is about Larry Scott and the PAC-10's willingness to hand him all the power, and hoping that he brings more than Colorado and Utah.

Uteology, the U got the invite, be proud. Some people are already where you are going, and don't have the crimson galsses you wear.

Some are not as giddy as you are. Greg Hansen has a whole different agenda than ripping the soul out of Utah fans.

He made some valid points about PAC-12 expansion.

You can't write off his arguments because "he's an Aggie, Nuff Said".

Learning consists of looking at things from different perspectives and forming your own opinion. Universities teach you this cognative process. Serious, go take some classes and become a real Utah Man.

• Buster
    June 17, 2010 1:46 p.m.

Uteology | 12:12 p.m. June 17, 2010

"Plus he forgot to menthion in his article that AAUP has sited BYU for violations of academic freedom since 1998."

The word is "cited", not "sited". Dude, I make spelling errors same as the next guy, but you are not even using the right word.

Cited:"to call upon officially or authoritatively to appear (as before a court)."

If you want to claim academics, you should really know what the "big" 5 letter (LOL) words mean.

In 1992, BYU issued a statement limiting academic freedom in certain areas, including language that attacked The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and language that violates the university's honor code.

In 1997, the American Association of University Professors (a non-accrediting organization) criticized BYU based on the wording of the new statement.

Since this statement was released, the university has received continued accreditation from the Northwest Association of Schools and of Colleges and Universities, which specifically approved of the new statement, as it was typical of many religious institutions.

The reason he didn't mention it is probably because it is a non-issue since the University is accredited by NASC.

• Fiddler
    June 17, 2010 1:07 p.m.

Uteology, please direct me to any specific articles. I'd be glad to read them. I'm fine with Utah over BYU to the Pac 10 but I just hope we're not all trying to spin this as the better program went. Clearly the P10 wasn't as worried about that, hence Colorado's invite.

• procuradorfiscal
    June 17, 2010 1:04 p.m.

Not that anyone expected it, but if Utes had any sense or class at all, they'd have held out for inclusion of BYU and respect for its no-Sunday-play policy.

I would hope, but again, would not expect, BYU would do the same.

I don't have a dog in this fight, as my alma mater is already in the PAC-10, but it's sad that there is such a toxic relationship between two schools so similarly situated and so closely connected that neither program understands its importance to the other.

The two programs, together, could provide a much larger boost to any conference -- including guaranteed sellout crowds for regular season or post-season play between the two teams -- than could either program, by itself.

• Buster
    June 17, 2010 1:02 p.m.

re:BoDiddlyU | 12:27 p.m. June 17, 2010

It's Bo Diddley Tech, and Bryant Gumbel was an idiot to coin the term...

Bo Diddley was an American rock and roll vocalist, guitarist, songwriter, and inventor. He was known as "The Originator" because of his key role in the transition from the blues to rock & roll, influencing a host of legendary acts including Buddy Holly, Jimi Hendrix, The Rolling Stones, and Eric Clapton.

I heard the Rock and Roll Hall of Famer play at the HOB Sunset Strip, and the guy is a legend.

Keep your handle. It's a tribute to the man, and BYU athletics.

June 17, 2010 1:01 p.m.

Dream on Oxi-toxi-moroni!

Utah can't even fill the rice bowl.....the pac10 is desparate given the USC sanctions and Texas telling them HECK NO! PAC 10 expansion considered SDSU, UNLV, Nevada too before settling on Utah.....My son was Allstate and is on a mission, he would never consider playing for the utes....especailly a ute team that can't get out of the basement of the pac 10! Don't worry about the Y, its USU you should be worried about, plus the fact that BSU will represent the MWC better than the U ever could!

• Cougars --Best Little Brothers
    June 17, 2010 12:52 p.m.

from ESPN...on BSU's admission into MWC...
    Boise State moved to the Mountain West -- but without Utah, it's not as impactful.

The chance of getting BCS-AQ for MWC is now very slim w/o Utah

• Buster
    June 17, 2010 12:47 p.m.

Oxy-Moroni | 12:09 p.m. June 17, 2010
    "Wanna make a bet with me?"
    Sure, just woke up. Let's bet breakfast...

Seriously, BYU has been in the WAC and MWC. It hasn't hurt them yet.

Uteology | 12:07 p.m. June 17, 2010
    "They do, that's why they are not anti-Mormon bigots."

Why not prove your class, Uteology, and call my wife fat again? The PAC doesn't hate mormons, they dislike the LDS Church.

Nancy Pelosi is the Speaker of the US House of Representatives out of San Fancisco, Barbara Boxer and Diane Feinstein are Senators from CA. Guess their position on Prop 8. (the church should have stayed away from prop 8). How much do you think they appreciate the LDS Church coming into CA on prop 8.

One school can veto BYU. No was the political powere that do things for the school are allowing an LDS sponsored institution in. No way Cal and Stanford let an LDS sponsored institution in. They'll let in Mormons in a State Sponsored School, but not the LDS church.

No making excuses, Utah is a fine pick, but Prop 8 nailed it shut on BYU.

• cynic
    June 17, 2010 12:29 p.m.

I am not a Utah hater, and I wish them and all their new-found wealth well. But I can't help but laugh at all the arrogance shown here by some Utah fans. The fact of the matter is: the not-so-handsome prince wanted to dance with Cinderella, but she left the ball and took all of her pretty friends with her, leaving only the ugly step-sister as a potential dance partner. The not-so-handsome prince lavished the ugly step-sister with gifts, causing her to forget about all the warts on the prince's face. Oh, and the ugly step-sister completely forgot about her big brother to the south who drove her to the ball in the first place. She could have at least offered to pay for his gas.

• BoDiddlyU
    June 17, 2010 12:27 p.m.

So much to say, so little space to say it.

If you want to know how the typical BYU fan feels about this promotion for Utah, all you have to do is read these comment boards.

If you are pea-brained enough to think that the BYU is more deserving of this invitation, you are wrong. If they were, they would have gotten the invitation.

The PAC-10 (12) has just validated Utah as a superior athletic and academic institution.

We all know that BYU, its athletic departments, its student body, its fans, etc. have always had a chip on their shoulder. Lavell Edwards practiclly lobbied for inclusion into the PAC-10 for 20 years.

Now Utah is invited and we get to listen to all the cry-babies and losers who think themselves, their school, their families, etc, to be better than everyone around them, except of course, those who they see on Sunday morning.

Get over it. You just learned that Utah is a better school. If they weren't you'd have gotten this invite instead of them.

• PAC10_Fan
    June 17, 2010 12:24 p.m.

"the anti-Mormon bigots at Stanford and Cal"?

Are you speaking from experience? Or are you the epitome of the reason why Utah got the invite and not BYU?

• Uteology
    June 17, 2010 12:12 p.m.

Fiddler | 11:49 a.m. June 17, 2010
    Wrote Arizona Daily Star reporter Greg Hansen:
    "I'm aware of the negative variables and politics about adding BYU, but the Cougars have a history, a brand and a presence that neither Utah nor Colorado can touch."

Just want to make sure all readers see this quote.

Greg Hansen is a Utah State Aggie, nuff said.

While you are at it read ESPN, SportingNews, etc. about why Utah got picked and BYU was left at the alter.

• Oxy-Moroni
    June 17, 2010 12:09 p.m.

I think this may be the beginning of the end for BYU sports. There’s just no way it can compete in the recruiting war when another school in the same media market is a member of a BCS elite conference. Wanna make a bet with me? I bet that within the next 5-7 years, after BYU is again shut out of the Big 12 expansion, after its losses to Utah mount in terms of record and the recruiting battles, and after a few more seasons of the Vegas Bowl while Utah goes to a couple of BCS bowls, possibly the Rose Bowl and a few Holiday Bowls, after frustrated fans drop their support and interest in watching BYU compete at the lowest levels of college sports, BYU will finally choose to discontinue it NCAA sports programs. The stadium can still be used for the 4th of July celebration and local high school football playoffs. Within the next decade, probably the only sports found at BYU will be intramural sports.

• Uteology
    June 17, 2010 12:07 p.m.

Bluto | 7:27 a.m. June 17, 2010
    Do the anti-Mormon bigots at Stanford and Cal realize that;

1-Brigham Young himself founded the U.

2-The Coach and President are active Mormons who both attended BYU. As are the two Coordinaters.

3-Over half of the studentbody are LDS.

They do, that's why they are not anti-Mormon bigots.

Can't say the same for Prop-8 stance though, I would think being gay is against the Honor Code.

• Uteology
    June 17, 2010 12:03 p.m.

Tysman | 9:46 a.m. June 17, 2010

Anyway, I just wanted to say adios to the Utes and I hope I never have to see their drunk, ignorant fair weather faces again at LES.

Tell us how you really fell Max. I think someone can use a hug.

• Fiddler
    June 17, 2010 11:49 a.m.

Wrote Arizona Daily Star reporter Greg Hansen: "Colorado brings little to the Pac-10. No baseball, no softball, no swimming, a basketball team that averaged 6,267 fans and almost no new money. Utah would bring even less. The Utes wouldn't help to solve the raging financial crisis at Oregon State, Wazzu and ASU. We take it on good faith that Scott has more to his expansion tour/marketing outreach than Colorado and Utah. We take it that the presidents and chancellors of the Pac-10 didn't give Scott all of that power merely to add teams with less presence than Oregon State. The Pac-10 can use a bump in glamour, and especially one at the bank, but I don't see how Colorado or Utah can help either. I'm aware of the negative variables and politics about adding BYU, but the Cougars have a history, a brand and a presence that neither Utah nor Colorado can touch."

Just want to make sure all readers see this quote.

• Large Tuna
    June 17, 2010 11:46 a.m.

@Bluto: i highly doubt they said in the meeting "well if byu weren't mormon, we would have asked them instead"... that argument is ridiculous, it has nothing to do with religion.

If you were trying to make money would you want to target Salt Lake City or Provo? its that simple man.

• davidutefan
    June 17, 2010 11:41 a.m.

I find it ironic that the jealous TDS fans can believe the MWC is a better conference And the Utes won't be able to compete. Seems to me we've competed quite well in the MWC, why not the "inferior" PAC 12? For 30 years, I've listened to Utah AND TDS fans speculate on how great it would be to bolt from the WAC/MWC and jopin a "good" conference. Now, Suddenly, it's a bad idea? Yes, to all you haters, The U is considered to be a good research university as wel as a respectable athletic school. You down south can spout off all you want about your superiorty but, How many times have you been to a BCS bowl? All you've proven is that you can beat Utah in rebuilding years. So what? I don't like the TDS but, I do hope the Big 12 expands and gives you an invutation as well. If you really think the BCS is going to let the MWC in, look at the rules on joining concerning the lower echelon teams. For the conference to join, the lower teams have to get better.

• Twardy
    June 17, 2010 11:32 a.m.

Pac 10 took MWC's sloppy seconds. Congrats 12-Pack. Good luck.

• sly_spy
    June 17, 2010 10:54 a.m.

As a die-hard BYU I've got to tip my cap to the Utes. They have created a consistently good football team and win their bowl games.

BYU needs to step it up. If Boise State can get to the level of play that they are at, with two BCS victories in their 14 years of existence, BYU can certainly do better.

I hope that this inspires and motivates BYU.

• SoCalUte
    June 17, 2010 10:48 a.m.

Awesome move for the UTES. Now I will be able to see some Utah games. I will NEVER know why the MWC made that rediculous agreement with the mountain.
    The "mountain" is what I call the "stealth" conference. (No one can see it)
    As far as the Utes being bottom dwellers. That is just wishful thinking from jealous zoobies. I beleive the Utes will come right out of the gate winning. Also, when any 'GOOD' program plays in a tougher conference, they become a tougher team. The Utes will be able to get better recruits. In fact when they are at the top of the PAC12, they will probably get some of the LDS "blue chip" recruits that would have gone to YBU.

• Speed_Altitude
    June 17, 2010 10:41 a.m.

I think you can lay the blame of Utah's move to the PAC-1x at the feet of the MWC commissioner and the lousy TV deal that makes all teams in the MWC anonymous and irrelevant. A lot of other conferences seem to be going that way also but they have much bigger TV markets than the Mountain West.

And anytime you can get more money from your athletic programs so that the students won't have to subsidize athletics then you seriously need to look at it. I think it's a good move for the University. A "no-brainer".

• Speed_Altitude
    June 17, 2010 10:40 a.m.

• govt rocks
    June 17, 2010 10:26 a.m.

Utah can compete with every team in the PAC 10 in football. Will they win every game? No. Going undefeated in conference is rare for any team in the old PAC 10 and will continue to be difficult. Look at the teams last year in the PAC-10, Utah lost by a score to the PAC 10 champs, on the road. A dissappointing loss, but nothing to hang your head over. They beat up Cal pretty good, despite giving them an early 14 point cushion.

I expect basketball to be in the bottom half of the conference for a few years. But they would be in the middle or bottom half of the MWC as well. The Pac-12 is a more alluring conference for coaches and recruits. Cannot really dispute that, so Utah will improve there. Few really care about the other sports.

• Mike in Sandy
    June 17, 2010 10:21 a.m.

Nobody is going to want BYU, because their religion forbids Sunday competition, and no conference wants to deal with that.
    They should remain in their cozy little conference where all the other school are used to their idiosyncracies.

• Big_Ben
    June 17, 2010 10:19 a.m.

I just hope we can go out with a bang and have a successful year. I think most teams should be better this year than they were last year.

• Go Big Blue!!!
    June 17, 2010 10:17 a.m.

Well done Utes! This is great news for Utah. The leap in both revenues and national exposure will do wonders to elevate the U and improve all of their programs.

As for the PAC on a national level I am not convinced that they have accomplished that much. While Colorado did win a NC in 1990 they have been almost invisible in the weak Big 12 North division. Reports say that Colorado leaving had no significant impact on the Big 12's revenue, so why would it be such an improvement for the PAC? Will the Salt Lake market generate enough PAC 12 revenues to cover Utah's share of the PAC pie?

I do understand the need for having 12 schools to allow a championship football game. It would be interesting to see the revenue projections to have a better financial understanding of the expansion.

While I think this is a wonderful opportunity for the U, I can also understand why many people outside of Utah are wondering what all of the fuss is about.

• Mike in Sandy
    June 17, 2010 10:15 a.m.

Hey BYU could have moved to a real conference...if losing the Vegas Bowl almost every year was one of the criteria.

• badlandscougar
    June 17, 2010 9:52 a.m.

good luck to the utes. i wish you all the success. wish you could've stayed longer. you are a great program. i hope this doesn't silence the "utah unfairness of the bcs" supporters. money shuts the voices of discontent no matter how loud and right. i wonder what they will do with all the anti-bcs signs? ship them down to provo. life will go on in the mwc...

• DH48
    June 17, 2010 9:51 a.m.

I wish the Utes well. This actually makes it easier for me, as a Cougar fan, to cheer for the Utes.

Good luck to them.

• Tysman
    June 17, 2010 9:46 a.m.

Utah won just one championship in the MWC this year (Womens Volleyball, I think). So if the can't win in the lowly MWC what will they do in the great PAC 10.

I'm glad to see them go now I will never have to cheer for them again (since it was for the conference and not them I was cheering for anyway). I hope BYU will look at not scheduling the Utes. We already have to see Utah State every year, if they keep the utes on the schedule then there would be fewer chances to see real football schools. I.E. Notre Dame, Florida State, Penn State, etc.

Finally everyone is saying that this will hurt BYU in recruiting. That is an ignorant statement if you understand the recruiting philosophy of Bronco Mendenhall. He is looking for athletes who want to come to BYU and those athletes will not change just because Utah is now the Wyoming of the Pac 10.

• Jack from Ark
    June 17, 2010 9:44 a.m.

CONGRATULATIONS This is a great opportunity for Utah and they are never happier than when they are at the top of the Mountain West conference. All they will have to do year in and year out is beat USC, UCLA, ARIZONA St., and ARIZONA. To have a shot to play in the 12 PAC championship in football. They have to do that and a little more for Basketball. Look every conference has its powder puffs. Utah is strong every four or five years in football and is a solid player in Basketball. I have enjoyed having them in the Mountain West and wish them good luck and god speed. I hope the money is good for you you deserve all that it brings.

• AZguy
    June 17, 2010 9:23 a.m.

Chris B-don't become so delusional as many Coug fans have over the years. Temper your expectations. 5-4 in the PAC-10 is a solid year and worthy of a bowl.

TVB-I live in PAC-10 land and am a PAC-10 lover, but it ain't the best conference in college football. I wish it were.

• AZguy
    June 17, 2010 9:19 a.m.

That is pretty funny. As I said before, BYU and the U are joined together at the hip more than either would like to admit. It will become less over time now.

The LDS church is just not in the university business. BYU is what it is and I personally am happy with that. I am not a complainer about top 15 finishes in football, ncaa bball appearances, and broad based success in many other sports.

If the MWC gets an AQ status anytime, then BYU/U football will be more like GA/GA Tech, VA/VA Tech, FLA/FSU, etc-a great rivalry-hopefully during rivalry week.

• MiP
    June 17, 2010 9:18 a.m.

As a Ute fan, I can't stand the BCS format. Even now that the U is moving to the PAC-12, I will remain anti-BCS. For Y fans, either the MWC will become BCS very soon or the system will dissolve. It's only a matter of time. Here's hoping the U does well in the PAC-12.

Go UTES!

• AZguy
    June 17, 2010 9:12 a.m.

Still some haters out there spewing jealously. Sure I am jealous that the U has a gravy train of 10,000 large that they did not have last week.
    To see what the U has done with their paltry $31MM is impressive. Now they automatically have $10MM (10,000 large) more and it raises them from the bottom of the funding shown in this article.

Increase RES capacity by 20K fans so it is the same size as LES and that is two very impressive college football venues within 50 miles. Size wise, there could be comparison to Rose Bowl/Colesium or Dodd/Sanford, Memorial Stadium/the Farm, etc.

• Shawnm750
    June 17, 2010 9:07 a.m.

I agree with "So. Cal Reader." The MWC is getting better, but this move with give Utah a much needed boost. As one of the oldest schools in the conference (and the country) it deserves to be given some national recognition, even if it means being more amicable with the reprehensible BCS! (I'm still going to campaign against the broken system!)

I think BYU has mad great strides in developing their athletic and other programs, but I think they have a long way to go too. I think the MWC as a whole has a long way to go, and they need to do more to focus on developing multiple teams worthy of playing at a national level. Inviting BSU was the right move, regardless of whether Utah was deciding to move on to the PAC-12 or not.

I think Utah's move can only help prove that there are good teams in the MWC, and that other conferences need to take them seriously!

• Salt Lake Sam
    June 17, 2010 9:03 a.m.

Grow up Bluto. The U's founding, association or presence of Mormonism on campus has nothing to do with why they didn't want BYU. They simply don't want a Private Religious school in the conference (why they wanted Colorado over Baylor in the proposed Pac-16).

Plus, Utes is less offensive than Indians, especially since it's a name sanctioned by the tribe and NCAA.

Just grow up. BYU's day will come, whether it's a AQ with the MWC or an invite from someone like the Big XII. But, the there is no way the U could have passed this opportunity up.

I think you'll be fairly surprised how the U will do in Football, especially in a division with Washington, WSU, Oregon, OSU and Colorado. Will we win Rose Bowls. Maybe, but not as often as USC has in the past, but I have no doubt we'll represent Utah well.

• jjohnson
    June 17, 2010 8:56 a.m.

I think Utah leaving the MWC is great. Now the only thing that would make it better would be if the whole rivalry between the U and BYU would go away too! Seriously guys, what a waste of time and energy.

• CRB
    June 17, 2010 8:54 a.m.

You know sour grapes cougar fans, it isn't about how interesting the BYU - Utah game will be. That will certainly be one of the interesting parts about the new adventure Utah has ahead of it. It is about continuing program development, dramatically increased money and other resources for the school, lightyears jump forward in exposure from the Las Vegas Bowl and the Mtn TV network and a temendous improvement in home scheduling that will electrify the fans. There will be more losses but who cares about wins against UNLV, UNM, CSU, Weber State, USU, AF, SDSU, N. Illinois and Wyoming. The national radar doesn't even notice such games. Utah will be on the ride of their lives. Any BYU fan who pretends to believe they wouldn't do it in a second also if they had the chance is simply deceiving themselves. This will be great for the State, for the school and also for BYU because they will get one more game every other year off that terrible Mtn/versus package. This is one of the greatest moments in the state's sports history and Utah has earned it by its performance. Kudo's Utes.

• tvb
    June 17, 2010 8:54 a.m.

Welcome Utah to the Pac-12 the best conference in College Football. Good Luck. Go Ducks!

• THEE "U"
    June 17, 2010 8:50 a.m.

We are who we are. I'm a die-hard Ute, but I have no delusions of grandeur. We may or may not have a lot of success in football and basketball. We will be cellar dwellers in baseball and track and field. But as sad as it is, we will be better off with PAC 12 $.

No Ute has said that we would be better for the PAC 12 than the schools that said no. But TX and the rest said no, lucky us. I don't care why we got invited, or what BYU fan thinks. We're going to a BCS conference and I couldn't be more stoked. I have to admit, there is some satisfaction in reading all of the BYU fan's posts.

• Chris B
    June 17, 2010 8:44 a.m.

Oh it's good to be a ute. Perfect timing too. UCLA is nothing like its former self, USC is descruting from the NCAA violations and Oregon just kicked its QB out.

A rose bowl game is a very likely result within the first or at most 2 years. If things continue, running the tables is not out of the question within the first couple years. I'd say that TCU, Air Force, and our out of conference opponents in the past 2 BCS runs were just as tough as the new schedule will be, so it's a definitely possibility.

GO UTES.

TDS - If you have any suggestions on how we can spend our money let us know. When you're already a top 10 team, not a lot of room for improvement.

Have fun dwelling around #4 of #5 IN THE MWC in the coming years - it will be satisfying to watch.

• 2020
    June 17, 2010 8:44 a.m.

The LDS church was not discriminated against! BYU was discriminated against because it is a private religious school. The PAC 10 gave Baylor the exact same treatment. Last I checked, Baylor is not owned by the church that I am an active member of, the LDS church.

Yes, the PAC 10 did not want any private religious institutions, BYU, Baylor, TCU, any of them. If they were descriminant against the LDS church, they would not have invited Utah either. Half of the students and more than half of the football coaching staff are LDS. The president of the school is a direct descendant of Brigham Young! President Monson graduated from the U! It was not an anti-mormon issue, Utah's invitation proves that!

• What's up?
    June 17, 2010 8:42 a.m.

It cost the U nothing, (no money)to leave from the MWC, but I have heard nothing about the cost to join the PAC. I am sure there is a big ticket for membership to join the PAC.

• superute
    June 17, 2010 8:36 a.m.

To Bluto: Stop playing the victim. Cal and Stanford aren't anti-LDS. They just don't want their schools to be affiliated with a church sponsored school.

To BradleyC: Are you seriously saying that the MWC will begin to make as much money as the PAC-12?? THat's hilarious. You truly live in a bubble. The PAC-12 has two of the top 10 TV markets in the nation.
    BYU is irrelevant. Mostly because they haven't done anything of national relevance in the past 15 years.

Go Utes!!

• So. Cal Reader
    June 17, 2010 8:26 a.m.

As a big Cougs fan (via my daughter) and as a USC alumn, I welcome Utah into the Pac 12? The coals are hot to join a much more lucrative conference. Utah's got to make the move. While I agree the MWC is making headway into Nat'l recognition, the MWC still has a long way to go- with the lives of SDSU, UNLV. Wyoming & New Mexico. All historically weak football programs. Good for the Utes. Memo to MWC, get rid of Thompson (still love the "great" TV contract with The Mtn, which sooo many viewers get) and get a real visionary commissioner as the Pac 10 got with Scott. Thompason is a joke of a commissioner

• jtsummie
    June 17, 2010 8:08 a.m.

Let's play a game... How high with the ticket prices go now?
    I think the Utes have an opportunity to still make the Mountain West look good. Think of the stink that was put up last year when pac-10 washington played BYU? (yes it was because of a stupid call) I thinking having the rivalry with teams in different conferences might add to the national spotlight (although it won't mean as much to locals).

• bradleyc
    June 17, 2010 7:57 a.m.

Utah is jumping prematurely. The money will come to the MWC, especially teams like BYU. When the financial disparity with Utah becomes evident then watch and learn.
    I am sorry Utah is choosing to jump ship just as the MWC was going to get exciting. I wonder if the BCS vows are making this happen to try and shut out the MWC?

• Al
    June 17, 2010 7:56 a.m.

Utah should do well in the sports at which they excel like football and gymnastics. With USC doomed to return to mediocricy on life-support probation and without Pete Carroll, they may have a chance at a conference championship in football, and gymnastics was the only sport at which Utah took a MWC championship last year. At least now they won't have to play TCU, BYU, and Air Force each year. The MWC dominated the PAC-10 last year.

And on another positive note, their basketball team is also moving to a less competitive conference so they will have a chance at winning a game or two.

Any way you look at it, the MWC was a stronger conference in football and basketball than the PAC-10. Utah is moving to the weaker of the two conferences. The only things the PAC-10 has over the MWC is the tradition, the name recognition, and the MONEY.

• Bluto
    June 17, 2010 7:27 a.m.

Do the anti-Mormon bigots at Stanford and Cal realize that;

1-Brigham Young himself founded the U.

3-Over half of the studentbody are LDS.

4-There is a room in Kingbury Hall named after Joseph Smith.

5-Nearly half of the buildings at the U are named after devout Mormons. Talmage, Widstoe, Gardner, Sill, Olpin, Park, Huntsman, etc. Oh there's more.

6-There were nearly 30 Returned Mormon Missionaries
    on Utah's team last year.

And you better take down the dedicatory prayer plaque of David O'Mckay's prayer, hanging in the Student Union building.

And last but least, how will the nickname "Utes" sit with the muckity-mucks at Stanford.

After all, they used to be the Indians and now they are the "Cardinal", not the bird, the color. Never want to offend the birds, you know.

Oh and their mascot? A tree!

Congrats Utah on your step up. And your self-annointed "Elite Status".

Welcome to the land of OZ.

We'll see if BCS bowls and top 25 finishes are as regular as they have been.

• high school fan
    June 17, 2010 7:20 a.m.

Utah will now make more money but i am afraid that they will also find less and less success on the court or on the field. Colorado was added because they were a great athletic success but because of the tv market, why was utah added? probably not to win. good luck utah, you probably will need it.

• Duh
    June 17, 2010 7:00 a.m.

To Smith9294 - I am a BYU fan. Accept for the BYU hater comment (can't hold a university responsible for the stupidty of an athlete) I agree with your comments. A national championship under the current system is tainted in every aspect and yes, I agree that BYU's was even tainted because it was a voting system. When we finally have a true championship like they do in basketball, there will be a true reason to gloat for getting one.

• financenco
    June 17, 2010 6:14 a.m.

Let see, with Boise on board, had the Utes stayed, they would become more of a power conference then even the PAC Conference. Now they move to become bottom feeders. Well, they will do better then Colorado will.

• cougar76
    June 17, 2010 5:29 a.m.

Now that the shoe is on the other foot, will the newts turn down a chance to play in the mythical national championship game should the opportunity present itself? ...or will dollars win again at the expense of fair play?

• carpediem
    June 17, 2010 2:34 a.m.

Because of the move this years rivalry game will be even more exciting to watch.
    Both teams will try to make a statement.

• AZ BYU Grad
    June 17, 2010 2:14 a.m.

It will be interesting to see how this change affects recruiting of LDS athletes by the University of Utah. Utah is a great school, but it is a stretch to say that Utah was accepted to the PAC-10 because it has a stronger academic reputation or that BYU had an inferior athletic program when compared to Utah. I always rooted for Utah except when they played BYU. It is hard to root for a team that was only invited after a mediocre Colorado program was extended an offer first and at least 5 other better schools refused the offer. Doesn't it seem odd to be joining a conference that doesn't approve of a university because it is affiliated with the Mormon Church? I am not sure this move will be in the best interests of the University of Utah. The Utes did fine in football without the PAC-10. I guess Utah will no longer insist the BCS is unfair.

• Smith9294
    June 16, 2010 11:44 p.m.

I'm a devote Ute fan and after the Max Hall affair a devote BYU-hater. That being said, BYU (just like Utah, TCU, and Boise St.) has gotten the shaft a couple of times because of the current BcS system. My fear is that a once anti-BcS group will now become complacent because they're in an automatic BcS bowl conference.

When, and it'll happen, the Utes when a "National Championship" under the current system I won't be celebrating. It won't be legit until they change the system and make it fair. I'm a huge Ute fan but an even bigger BcS hater.

Down with the BcS! Go Utes!

• Andrew J. Marksen
    June 16, 2010 10:53 p.m.

This conference move will benefit the entire state of Utah including BYU. There will be growing pains but the hurt and divisions will eventually heal. Soon everyone on both sides (BYU and Utah) will work for a more positive future. Congratulations to the U of U for their fortune and their hard work. The direction that the U has taken to date has seemingly paid off. BYU will have their moment I have no doubt. Their direction is no less visionary or important it will just take longer. Who could have imagined that the university Brigham Young started would rise to these heights. Today is most definitely Utah's, the university and the state. Good luck to everyone involved may your future be bright.

• LA Ute
    June 16, 2010 10:51 p.m.

Minor nitpick. Its Washington St that currently has the smallest stadium in the PAC 10 with a capacity between 35k and 40k, depending on which source one uses.

• utsouthwestern
    June 16, 2010 10:51 p.m.

Way to go Utah. Yeah, it hurts being such a blue-blood to see the Utes graduate because I am a little jealous. But hey, even I'll admit seeing the Utes beat the Crimson Tide was thrilling. Kudos the the Utes. Yes, you deserve it.

• Rock Of The Marne
    June 16, 2010 10:45 p.m.

Congratulations to the UofU as they were the most logical choice in the West to join. And for the BYU fans that loved to dog on the UofUs B-Ball program this last year please re-read this quote from the article “its men's basketball team had played in 32 NCAA basketball tournament games between 1991 and 2009.’ Dear BYU fan how many NCAA tournament games has your team played in during that same timeframe, let alone won? Go Utes.