Sports

Utah Jazz: Contrary to report, Jazz not looking to deal rights to Ante Tomic

Comments

• steve
    June 4, 2010 9:59 p.m.

jesse is right about work ethic.but Slone dose get more out of his second team players than any other.@ this season he got more as team play,together@ i would say one of the top team Jazz teams.know matter what center we get it will be a time event.most center's that produce well are 30 years of age or better.if we get lucky enough to find a 7'3 guy under a car replacing a starter for some garage,that will work.but if we can get a 10-10 guy,it will be a move closer to getting to the 3rd round!! GO JAZZ!!

• Jesse
    June 4, 2010 9:39 p.m.

I'd say Malone developed nicely. It all comes down to attitude and work ethic with Millsap and Malone. Alot of young guys don't put in that work like those two players. I agree that a big man coach would help polish our young players, but mentally, they have to be tougher. Mental toughness would lead to some respect and playing time from Sloan, which would lead to the rest of the team having confidence in them, which would then lead to Fes/Kouf having confidence while on the floor.

• Bugoff
    June 3, 2010 10:37 p.m.

How much of it is Sloan instead of some bias in the player selection process where the wrong weights are given to various player characteristics.

Sloan is hard to figure out. I would have thought that he would have played Koufos over Fes this year.

Koufos responds rapidly to playing time.

What I wonder is who develops the young bigs? Why are they not demonstrating decent post moves? That is something they can improve in practice (not just games). Why is not Koufos ambidextrous by now? Monroe has the same one handed problem. How many years will it take to fix that?

Hibbert and the Lopez twins developed rapidly. Are they really all that much better than Koufos?

Fes and Koufos are far from the worst Cs in the league. They are below average but they are also very under developed. At one point in time Koufos actually had a shot. What happened to that?

Except for Millsap have the Jazz ever developed a young big who was any good?

I guess AK is a big?

The track record suggests that something is wrong with the process.

• Jesse
    June 3, 2010 9:16 p.m.

That is the worry w/ Whiteside, huge lack of experience and huge lask of maturity. I'd love to hear more info like that on all of the potential #9 picks. When you hear stuff like that, then you have to think 'how well will he fair under Sloan?' You need to be tough minded to make it as a rookie under him, or else you take 5 years to develope like CJ, if at all.

I'd love for one of the SF's to drop to us at #9. It might not be too much of a stretch to go for Xavier Henry at 9, or trade back a few spots and get him. I agree completly that we need another solid wing guy.

• shaybo
    June 3, 2010 5:52 p.m.

AK and #9 to Jersey for #3, let Carlos and Korver go, take that money and go after Joe Johnson or Amare, draft Cousins or Favors, give Fez a lot of playing time and let him reach his potential before we get to the playoffs and you have a team that can match up with the Lakers with Fez, Okur, Amare, Cousins or Favors up front.

• Jazz Cop
    June 3, 2010 4:33 p.m.

yeah, bugoff, i think we've got some talented players on the bench because sloan doesn't like them, besides, sloan is the one to preach defense but consistently gives okur minutes. The most valuable learning tool the jazz have is on court minutes and those are usually wasted by sloan. If the guy practices hard enough to be on the team, then it should be good enough to see minutes too. petty sloan rules.

• Bugoff
    June 3, 2010 10:02 a.m.

There is something fundamentally wrong with the Jazz scouting and drafting approach. Drafting in the late 1st round should produce at least 40% rotation or better players. That is the average for 10-32 drafting spots.

The Jazz are consistently much worse than average. There must be some identifiable reason and it needs to be fixed.

Even Brewer is a back up on a non playoff team.

Millsap is an exception but his rebounding was a clue that he might be worth the risk in the 2nd round. Mathews is mostly a match with the Sloan system. Most teams are not playing him much less starting him. However, now that Sloan has given him the minutes he like Millsap will develop. Both are too short but that does not bother Sloan.

That is the big problem. Sloan values work over talent. You need both.

After you put in all of the time, money and effort to develop a flawed player they are still flawed in unfixable ways.

The Jazz have a long history of building exploitable weaknesses into the Sloan flex which kills them in the playoffs.

This has got to change. Player selection hast to change.

• Bugoff
    June 3, 2010 9:50 a.m.

I agree with Jazz Cop. The Jazz need more balance and "effective" shooting from the SG and SF.

I still think the Jazz approach of dumpster diving in the 2nd round is flawed if they are using it as the primary approach to getting stars/rotation players. It is not cost effective in the long run.

Pay the 3 mill and get an extra pick in the 1st round. There is a 45% chance of at least a rotation player. Start with enough talent. That is cheaper than wasting years of time and money on long shots.

The Jazz seem to be best at raiding D-league but there are just not many good bigs in D-league.

It could really help if they could get a decent big and one of Babbit, Henry, Hayward, Robinson etc.

Does anyone have any comments on Zoubek or Parahouski? Are either of them worth a 2nd round pick?

The Mathews phenomena suggests it is a matter of having the player play in the system. Then the Jazz know IF they are going to work.

Last years 2nd round pick made NO Sense at all, but the Jazz claimed he tested well.

• Captain L
    June 3, 2010 9:04 a.m.

I like Orton, watched his highlight video and he uses the glass like Duncan, blocks shots well, and has the body and defensive presense of a Perkins. It will be interesting to see where he goes.

• Jazz Cop
    June 3, 2010 8:23 a.m.

Most importantly, you take a sg and you send the right message to dwill, that we know there hasn't been any talent in the backcourt with him and that is changing. it's crazy to think we'll beat the lakers by matching up with them in the front court, we have a huge advantage at the pg, and with a better sg, we might be able to have a better overall backcourt, but there's no way we can improve the frontcourt to be better any time soon. koufenko has three years in the league now, if booz leaves, I think we'll be ok, we can trust millsap to handle alot of the minutes, and after three years we should be getting a contribution from koufenko, and it might be enough to keep the frontcourt competitive, and a better backcourt will help by taking pressure off the front line. koufenko has the length and size to be effective, they need regular minutes, they might not be able to each handle twenty minutes a night, but between them sloan should be able to squeeze twenty in a collective effort.

• Jazz Cop
    June 3, 2010 8:15 a.m.

@capL-I don't think orton has very far to go to be as good as perkins, orton's defensive numbers are pretty good, and he sees himself as a low post defender and rebounder, so at least he doesn't have idenitity isssues. In the end, I think orton is a pretty sure bet to have a good career, as long as his intangibles check out. I'd bet you a hundred bucks in six or seven years we'll be watching orton play and whitesides will be at home watching with us. I think the jazz should get a shooting guard, they're going to need help at that position with korver sure to be fired, and with all the bigs in this draft, they can get the kind of talent at the position that usually goes a spot or two earlier, if they can trade up to the four I'd be doing jumping jacks in the street.

• steve
    June 3, 2010 2:14 a.m.

I was talking about tomic,what he knows now on him,and what they think of his future.not on who there going to draft,thats under lock and key,thats,sssssshhhhhhhhhh material!!!!

• steve
    June 3, 2010 1:45 a.m.

Trade boozer,ak,to philly for brand,either sprights,or dalenbert.draft monrow,or patterson,from kentucky. keep tomic,and draft second round another eric mayner.ive heard good things of cole aldrich..i love this stuff,near draft time..because there isnt anything for me until vets camp..GO JAZZ!!@ the new logo of course!!

• panamadesnews
    June 3, 2010 12:24 a.m.

To Steve 7:07 PM

Steve, you will get your wish on draft night right after the #9 pick, or whatever pick the Jazz has(unless they trade their pick). Then you will also know O'Connor's plans (what they were). You are dreaming to think that you can find out "now" what he plans to do.

• Captain L
    June 3, 2010 12:09 a.m.

Just read a guys take on Whiteside, Udoh, Orton,& Character as they played each other while working out for Indiana, he said Whiteside looked lost sometimes and didn't play with energy or fight hard, was backed down easily, needs work physically, mentally and offensively. This is the kind of info we need to be able to evaluate a player. If this is how Whiteside is going to look, he isn't anything the Jazz need to worry about. Highlight videos can be misleading.
    Udoh, looked the best he said, even though his shot wasn't falling. He fought hard on defense, mixed it up on offense and was active. He had a couple of good slams over Whiteside. He showed a good motor & looked pretty good.
    He likes Orton, thinks he will get drafted in the lottery somewhere, likes the comparison of Perkins and Orton, says he has a toughness and seriousness about him he likes.

• Captain L
    June 2, 2010 11:39 p.m.

I would like the experts to explain what it is that makes Whiteside such a project. To me all the players the Jazz will be able to draft at #9 will be projects. It is who has the most upside, I like Udoh because he has upside, he blocks shots, rebounds and he can put the ball on the floor and creates his shot and creates for others fairly good.
    Whiteside rebounds, blocks shots (great), he has a pretty decent outside shot for a big. He has the mobility to play the 4 & 5. Watching him on video may be misleading because we are just watching highlights but he looks good, moves well and shows alot of potential.
    Maybe he doesn't understand the game that well and it will take him time to learn the team concepts, both offensively and defensively, but natural abilities look very good.
    Even a player like Favors is a project, he is raw, and needs developing. He didn't play all that great at Georgia Tech.
    I think people are afraid Whiteside will be a head case and if that proves the case, then the Jazz need to draft Udoh or Babbitt.

• Large Tuna
    June 2, 2010 10:43 p.m.

I agree that Monroe will probably be gone before #9. I wouldnt be surprised to see Cousins slip because of his immature reputation; seems like there is always a top 10 pick in the draft that slips big time. I think its either him or whiteside. i'm thinking our best options are Udoh, Patterson, and Aldrich. I'm not a huge fan of Aldrich. I like Patterson and Udoh though. Patterson's not that big, but he'd be a good backup to Milsap. I know that would leave us small at the PF spot, but I think we'd be better off finding someone already in the NBA for the C spot. Centers are just too risky in the draft, i mean how many times have the jazz picked a center in the draft and turned up with nothing. I wouldn't say Fes or Koufos were successful picks yet, they are miles from a successful pick status right now.

• Large Tuna
    June 2, 2010 10:35 p.m.

@bigsoccer. I heard Locke propose the AK/#9 - Brand/#2 trade on the radio today... BAD MOVE. we're trading away an injury-prone starter for another injury-prone starter with 2 extra years of big money. So not only do we not get any better this year with that trade, but we won't get better for the next 3 years because our cap money is tied into Brand. If we plateau or decline over the next 3 years DWill is gone. Its not worth the risk. Better to keep AK for one more year and explore the 2011 free agency. We could possibly keep AK for a much cheaper price, and pick up a big name in free agency with the extra money.

Not to mention that its a lot of player moving to get a #2 pick, I'd rather wait and spend the money/players on someone who has been in the league for a while so we know exactly what we're getting.

• Jesse
    June 2, 2010 10:32 p.m.

shaybo: I see him as a risk for sure, i just see his ceiling to be a lot higher than everyone else mentioned around the 9 pick. I'm not going to say Whiteside or bust or anything like that, he just intrigues me. I could be way off, as I was really high on Thabeet last year and had hopes of Utah working out a way to get him. If we're going to take a risk, I hope it's from the 9 spot. If we trade up for a risky pick like Cousins, we'll be giving too much away if he doesn't reach full potential. In my opinion, if we're trading up, I really only would do it for Favors or Turner. Turner is a sure thing and the Jazz would benefit from having a real scoring threat and ball handler at the wing. Favors athleticism is off the charts. Looks like Amare or McDyess pre-injury to me. About as tall as Cousins but in much better shape.

• Captain L
    June 2, 2010 8:47 p.m.

Anyone heard about any players being brought in for workouts?

• shaybo
    June 2, 2010 8:42 p.m.

If I remember right these foreign player that everyone seems so down on waxed our dream team several times in past olympics and world championships. As for Tomic playing against players that look like high schoolers I believe that league is considered the second best in the world.

• shaybo
    June 2, 2010 8:35 p.m.

To all you Whiteside fans, the experts consider him to be one of the biggest projects that will go in the first round. If the Jazz want to match up with the Lakers there is only one answer and its Cousins his only real knock is his temper and if you ask me it would be nice if the Jazz had a big guy that would put someone into the sixth row every once in awhile.
    I doubt that the league would let them do it but how about AK to New Jersey for a draft switch.

• Captain L
    June 2, 2010 7:56 p.m.

Re Jesse, Whiteside playing the 4 is what I would like because he would create a major mismatch for the other team, just like Garnett and Gasol have been doing for their teams for years. Both Garnett and Gasol are 7' or better but have the outside shot, mobility and skills to play the 4, I think Whiteside can do the same.
    Re Bugoff, I think Whiteside's development will take longer if he is forced to play the 5, because he is young, imature and needs weight. He is stronger than some might think, he benched more than Alrich, (Aldrich can't jump, look at his stats in the combine, poor, the only thing Aldrich has going for him is his length.
    To me Whiteside has the potential to be very,very good if not great. He would be worth the risk, the draft now days is based a lot on potential. The only players that look like they can contribute now are the first 4or5.
    Tomic is another player with skills to play the 4 even though he is 7'2", he can hit the outside shot but has the mobility to play defense against the 4's.

• Jesse
    June 2, 2010 7:14 p.m.

Chuck: Tomic sounds like he is progressing nicely, good to hear that he's responding well after having the foul trouble in the last game. I've watched some footage of him and he looks like a good prospect. He looked really patient in the post, if he got doubled he would kick it out and immediatley re-post strong and closer to the hoop. Plus he is a fluid athlete for a 7'2" guy.

Captain L: I'm with you on Whiteside. He is long and athletic and he looks more like a 4 aside from his height. His upside seems unmatched compared to the other bigs mentioned around the 9 spot. He didn't even start in HS and really blossomed in College. Like you said, 5+ blocks a game, including 3 triple doubles with 10+ blocks. If we aren't moving up for Favors or Turner, i'd root for Whiteside to be the guy. I know it's never solid that a player will fill their potential, but I like the idea of seeing a lineup w/ a 7'2" Tomic and a 7' Whiteside in 3 years or so.

• steve
    June 2, 2010 7:07 p.m.

chuck, im not down grading the nbdl,alot of good fines have come from there, im just glad A,tomic has a place to work out and get better..but i want a full report by O'Conner on where he's at and now what we can expect from him,now,@ latter. thanks D-News to do this!!!

• Bugoff
    June 2, 2010 6:36 p.m.

I keep coming back to Udoh because he is NBA ready and low risk. Cousins and Whiteside have potential but they have high risk and they will take years to develop. Aldrich can jump.

Udoh can put the ball in the hole and he can defend.

He is not ideal but he should be very good and contribute this year.

Fes and Koufos can defend and rebound but it may be years before they develop an effective offensive game. They are not Howard. The Jazz need a good player now.

• BillM75
    June 2, 2010 6:35 p.m.

If the Jazz stay at 9, assuming Monroe is gone, I'd rather see them take Babbitt as a replacement for CJ and then try to trade back into the first round later on to find Millsap's backup.

People will scream for Aldrich, but Babbitt will be a much better pro. His combine numbers were fantastic. Be wonderful to get both him and say Patterson in the draft tho that's about as likely as getting Cousins.

• Jazz Cop
    June 2, 2010 6:32 p.m.

biggest draft bust=whiteside. think about it, he's a skinny kid who isn't ready for the nba or nba life, i'll quit if the jazz waste their pick, if you're going to draft a kid like whitesie, then he better have a blue collar mentality.
    I think the jazz should let korver go and draft either george or henry. if they lose booz, then get a fa powerfoward, which can be a bandaid. reason to let korver go, he should've been a ballerina, how many times you seen him step out of the way of players, he's pretty good at it.

• BillM75
    June 2, 2010 6:18 p.m.

Go to 48games or hoopdata.com and start exploring CJ's stats. He's one of the worst players in the league playing over 20mpg and he hoists a ton of shots to boot.

Tomic, shtomic, any GM who wouldn't trade him & the 9 for the 4(almost certainly Cousins) should be shot.

Sure, Cuzz is "risky", he'd be the #1 pick by a mile otherwise. He's far & away the best big man in the draft or the last few drafts. He's not a bad kid or from a bad background, just immature, typical young big man.

I've heard we have a good organization & coaching staff, so coach him. Don't just talk about what John 'n Karl did.

And for all the babble about defense, the big man has to be able to catch & put the ball in the hole when he's open, something Fes & Koof can't do.

What do people say about Howard? "No post moves."

Just on size, talent & any effort & coaching Cuzz will be a serviceable defender and his skill on offense is far above what we have.

Trade up prolly won't happen but pray it does.

• Captain L
    June 2, 2010 5:16 p.m.

Re Rick, I have seen CJ do the pull up jumper but not nearly as much as he should or needs to. That is one of the reasons I have tried to stay on the CJ bandwagon, is because he shows that he can do the things to be very good but he needs to learn how to be more assertive in all areas. Driving to the hole, midrange jumpers, drawing fouls, rebounding, steals etc. Hopefully he will come back with more confidence and be more assertive this year. He is better suited to play the two over the three and that is why the Jazz need to try to find a diamond in the ruff(like Mathews)to play the 3 behind AK.

• Captain L
    June 2, 2010 4:52 p.m.

Re Chuck: Sounds like Tomic had a very good game, that's great. It is interesting to see how people evaluate talent. I hope the Jazz keep Tomic, his length and talent would be hard to find. That is one of the reasons I like Whiteside, he has the length and yet he can shoot, rebound, block shots, and has the agility to play the 4. Let me know when your next article is up on your site.

Re Dr Dunkenstein : Have you seen Whiteside? To me he is way more athletic than Monroe, he has a good outside shot, he blocks 5.4 shots per game, upside there is no comparison, Whiteside has the potential to be great, Monroe might be solid but that's about it. The criticism Monroe gets is he isn't very athletic, he is too one handed (left), high turnover rate, not that motivated. He has good points too but I don't see his upside being nearly that of Whiteside.
    Udoh would be a good pick.
    Davis is pretty athletic but too skinny and narrow shouldered to be a good PF & questionable skill set.

• Bugoff
    June 2, 2010 4:24 p.m.

CJ needs to improve his shooting percentage at least 5 % for both 2s and 3s. He can easily do that by better shot selection and increasing his assists.

He needs to double or triple his rebounds. That is the hard part.

The Jazz will have at least 1 (probably more) decent options at 9.

• Rick
    June 2, 2010 4:12 p.m.

C.J. is a good player & will get better but he needs to work on something to get to that next level.C.J. shoots the 3 ball or he'll drive to the basket if a chaser comes at him hard. I'VE NEVER SEEN C.J. DRIVE PAST THE CHASER & HAVE THE ABILITY TO PULL UP FOR A 12 TO 15 FOOT JUMPER !!! QUITE OFTEN A BIG MAN IS WAITING FOR C.J. @ the RIM..C.J. needs to practice in the off season this type of pull-up jumper around the lane which will make him a much better player !!!

• Captain L
    June 2, 2010 4:01 p.m.

Re jepe : I agree with your comments on Whiteside, he would be a great pick in my opinion. I would want to play Whiteside at PF, he can shoot the outside shot and has the mobility, length and athleticism to guard the 4's. You can't teach length.
    I think Tomic will be better than you think.
    Favors is the only player I would give up any assets to be able to draft.
    Udoh would be a great pick too, he is long and he can handle the ball good enough to create for himself and others. He had two to three times the assists of the other 4's or 5's in the draft.(except Monroe), Monroe would be OK, but he isn't as athletic and is very one handed.

• Sokol
    June 2, 2010 3:25 p.m.

In my opinion to the 'Miles' post...CJ proved to me to be one of the best dudes on the court at all times. This guys is really starting to impress me...I think he could score 15 points a night...He just needed a chance. His passing, intelligence, shooting, defense and skill set were second only to
    Williams.

• Elcapitan
    June 2, 2010 3:20 p.m.

Too many tall white guys on a team will go no where. I am a white danishman but I see black tall guys making up the championship teams. Look at the playoffs...remember Karl Malone anybody? Besides, the Jazz do not play their tall men much. Forget it.

• Dr. Dunkenstein
    June 2, 2010 3:12 p.m.

Seems like a lot of you are pretty high on Whiteside, but I think the 9th pick might be too high for his level of talent (think Rafael Araujo). I would rather see them take Greg Monroe (probably gone when the Jazz pick, but they might get lucky), Ed Davis, or Ekpe Udoh. I figure it's mosty a toss-up between Whitside and Patrick Patterson (Whiteside with the length advantage and Patterson with the skillset advantage), and I would prefer both of them to Cole Aldrich, who I see as a "rich man's undersized Greg Ostertag".

• Chuck Nunn
    June 2, 2010 2:57 p.m.

By the by Doug, both Gasol brothers came out of the league that Tomic is now playing in. For you to put down European basketball is pretty tasteless, and I'm not too appreciative of your disparaging remarks about the D-League either! And for anyone who cares, and any Jazz fan should, Tomic's line in today's season-prolonging win over Caja Laboral = 18 points, seven rebounds and a block. And he matched up well against future Spur Tiago Splitter, recognized by most folks who know as Europe's best center right now.

• Chuck Nunn
    June 2, 2010 2:41 p.m.

By the by, AZBrabbitt (sp), Dragicevic has struggled a bit since moving to Lottomatica Roma. I don't think he's ready to come over yet, but the Futures Reports on Oracle break down his performances, so feel free to check 'em out.

• jepe
    June 2, 2010 2:34 p.m.

there's a youtube of tomic. he looks SLOW!!!!! i'd like to see kk get some more playing time. i like favors, and cousins. if the jazz don't go up in the draft i like whiteside. i know whiteside has some off court red flags, but he has great on court upside.

• steve
    June 2, 2010 2:27 p.m.

atomic is what we need.with some of u have seen him say he's the real deal..in the draft either 08 or 07 the Jazz drafted fes,instead of marc gasol.Can u see marc gasol on the Jazz??WOW..this is y we need to have atomic stay and play in Europe,i think it's like having a #2 nbdl league where he can get lots of paying time to improve..i think alot people would say if he got here,and turned into pau gasol or his brother,mark..lets be patience and wait till he's get's here..but it's exceeding to think about!!

• Bugoff
    June 2, 2010 2:20 p.m.

50 mill in Brand's salary is to much to pay for Turner. That is why several teams have not done that already.

There are a lot of good SF's in the draft late in the 1st maybe early in the 2nd. Babbit is pretty good but not without risk. There are 3 or 4 other PF who would be just as good overall.

It costs 3 mill to get a late first round pick and 2 mill to get a 2nd round pick. That is cheaper than spending 3 years trying to develop a project.

I hope the Jazz buy a second pick. There is no reason to dump Tomic unless you could get Favors?

Tomic is progressing so another year will not hurt. By then the new CBA will be clear and the Jazz can complete the rebuild.

• Bugoff
    June 2, 2010 2:10 p.m.

@True Fan I have not seen Tomic play but he is compared to Gasol in Europe. He is 23. How much more upside he has I do not know. I would like to see how he plays in the NBA before I think he is the 2nd coming of Gasol.

There is no reason to give him away. He is not costing anything. But for the right player a trade might be worth doing.

If MN is really looking at him then the Jazz need to think real hard about keeping him.

• bigsoccer
    June 2, 2010 12:58 p.m.

Lets trade AK and 9th round pick to Philly for Brand and the 2nd pick. We pick up Evan Turner who is a 2 and 3 guy who is quick and can guard the better guards.

• AZBrabbit
    June 2, 2010 12:46 p.m.

Babbit? yeah remember the last guy we took from Nevada in the lottery? I think he is in prison in Ohio. We either move up to get Favors or take Whiteside based on potential. Patrick Patterson would not be a bad pick either.

• Captain L
    June 2, 2010 12:26 p.m.

If the jazz decided they need a 3 man instead of going for a long, athletic, defensive PF, I like Babbitt, he is 6'9" & he can flat out shoot, he puts it on the floor(good handles) and can get his own shot. He tested out pretty good at the combine. He has a vertical of 37.5 inches, and moves better than I first thought he could. Thru the shooting drills he shot a combine 75+ percentage, that's 3's and 2's combined. Although I hope the Jazz draft a talented, long, athletic, defensive minded PF, I wouldn't be too upset if the took Babbitt.

• Miles
    June 2, 2010 12:21 p.m.

Miles is the solution. He will come back next year better than Kobe, LBJ, and Melo. If we can trade for a top 4 pick and get Favors or Cousins, Miles will lead us to the Finals.

Todd is the man. I would trade Todd to the Clippers for Michael Smith and we will throw in Locke.

• Captain L
    June 2, 2010 12:16 p.m.

The Jazz are a very good team BUT, we can't lose sight of what the Jazz need to complete with the Lakers or Celts or other elite teams. They need length, Tomic is exactly what we need, he can't come over this year but he can in 2011. Love is a good player but he is not what we need, he is a clone of Booz, he doesn't have the length we need.
    When it comes to the draft we need to keep that same goal in mind, we need length at the PF and or Center. That is why I like Udoh or Whiteside, I like Whiteside to play PF more so than center but it would be nice that he could play both.
    As far as moving up in the draft, Favors is the only player I would give up assets for to obtain. He is 6'10" with a long reach and is the best athlete of all the bigs. It would be worth giving up some assets if we could get him.
    I'm hoping the Jazz are going to keep Fes and develop him and KK.

• Uteology
    June 2, 2010 12:08 p.m.

We need a defensive big athletic player.

I can't recall a single player from overseas that meets that criteria. Their bigs are shooters (Nowitzki, Okur) but have soft interior defense.

• AZBrabbit
    June 2, 2010 11:34 a.m.

Tomic definitely has good length but, why is nobody bringing up the kid with the mad skills in europe? Tadija Dragecevic, this guy has some game and seems to be forgotten by all the poser Jazz fans, like Todd who is actually moonlighting as a Clipper fan as we speak. I heard he went to the march for Lebron and hung out with Lawler and Michael Smith the whole time.

• SportzFan
    June 2, 2010 10:56 a.m.

Love to see silly Todd get slapped around by everyone on this thread!

• JFFR
    June 2, 2010 10:38 a.m.

To:Todd

Who said anything about Tomic leading us to a championship? DWill will do the leading, he just needs a decent supporting cast.

I'm not sold on Tomic (there is a YouTube clip of him playing what appear to be highschool talent european players...he looks decent, but isn't all that amazing) but I'm not gonna get rid of him just cause he can't lead a team to a championship.

• RockOn
    June 2, 2010 10:22 a.m.

I'm a real pro-USA kind of guy, but, to dismiss Europeans etc. because of their skin color or country or origin, makes you wonder how you'd react to a team of:
    Gasol, Igaskis -- C
    Nene, Nowitske, Kirelenko -- F
    Ginobli, Turkolu -- 2 G
    Parker, Nash -- Point

Good chance they'd beat a Gasoless Laker team.

• TrueFan
    June 2, 2010 9:59 a.m.

The Jazz would be nuts to trade Tomic. Those who are suggesting we trade him most likely haven't even seen him play. I have. The guy is the real deal. He's still young, but he has Pau Gasol written all over him. I'm not saying he'll be as good as Pau, but he has the same height, length, and skill set. He even shoots the ball like Gasol, and moves the same way.

• Bugoff
    June 2, 2010 9:55 a.m.

MN would be a good trading partner but I do not think they want Boozer. They want someone who fits the triangle better than Jefferson or Love.

MN has 5 picks and I think is under the CAP. If Booz could be moved to them the Jazz could take draft picks, Love and a trade exemption back.

I doubt if that will happen.

• Hellooo
    June 2, 2010 9:40 a.m.

To: Todd
    Manu Ginobli,
    and technically Tim Duncan

• huggyface
    June 2, 2010 9:33 a.m.

RE: Todd
    Manu was a key player on the Spurs when they won their championships. Argentina isn't in Europe but he is a non-US player to lead a team to a championship.

I like the idea of giving Kosta more playing time. He has as much upside as anyone we could get at #9.

• RockOn
    June 2, 2010 9:26 a.m.

To: Silly Todd

Tony Parker is from France.
    Gasol, Spain

I'd take Dirk in a heart beat. And Ginobli (not Europe, but of the same ethnic mix which is what Todd is getting at... racism is alive and well.)

• ed
    June 2, 2010 9:08 a.m.

To: Todd
    Pau Gasol

• Doug10
    June 2, 2010 8:26 a.m.

I say the Jazz are replete with foreigners of assorted heights and Tomic who averages 14 points a game in Europe which is of less stature than the D league. Our Jazz flops average over 20 points a game in the d league and cannot make it on the NBA floor.

The Jazz enjoy plenty of tall projects they have been working with for years and it would be a big plus if they could trade this Tomic character and get a higher draft pick.

Hopefully it is the Jazz posturing when they say they do not want to trade him.

• B Russ
    June 2, 2010 8:23 a.m.

I say we play the bigs we now have next season and get them some experience during the regular season. They both have potential to become contributing NBA players in this league.

Tomic is getting playing time and is developing right where he is at. He should continue to do so until he is eligible to come to the Jazz in 2011-2012. Tomic is a good asset to the team, either as a future player for the team or a valuable piece in a trade.

• Jazz Cop
    June 2, 2010 8:22 a.m.

They can trade tomic for a couple of picks straight up, like the 23 and their second rounder. jazz need to fill in with some young talent and can't wait for tomic, and in a draft with alot of rotation guys, i like todds trade, i can see the wolves wanting to do something like that, they probably want to draft by position and not best player available, what the wolves really need to do is trade for an established leader like boozer, they aren't going to get the leader they need in the draft, they know it.

• vail39
    June 2, 2010 8:21 a.m.

Jazz I think they should try and deal Tomic and the 9 pick and the number one pick from the grizz to move into the t wolves spot and maybe pick up there pick and love.

• Bugoff
    June 2, 2010 8:03 a.m.

I do not think the Jazz want Cousins, they will not get Turner but Favors may be a possibility. MN was also rumored to be looking into trading up to get Turner. I think MN is very active in looking at all options right now.

Most GMs are wary of Jefferson's knee. MN would like to move Jefferson or Love.

• John Wicks
    June 2, 2010 7:58 a.m.

The Jazz for starters should try and get Kevin Love from the Wolves. He is a hard nosed Sloan type of player and would fit it well with are present core.

• Todd from Santa Ana
    June 2, 2010 7:52 a.m.

Trade the rights to Tomic the number 9 pick, and next years Jazz pick for the TWolves four pick. This lets the Jazz draft either Cousins, Turner, or the big guy from Georgia Tech.

Do it now KOC. Europeans never get it done in the finals. Name one European that led their team to a championship? There isn't one.

• Bugoff
    June 2, 2010 5:41 a.m.

How does he compare with Fes and Koufos? With Whiteside?

The knock on him a year or 2 ago was that he was thin (about 230 lbs) and the ultimate finesse player. How does the level of play (Real Madrid) compare with D-league? Can he play PF in the NBA?

As the Jazz said when they drafted him, "it is nice to have assests". But how does he fit into the future? Is he a trade chip or an missing piece?

• steve
    June 2, 2010 3:09 a.m.

we have him,@ we better see what he can do first,when he can be on the Jazz practice floor,we need a 7'2 guy now.if anyone else is interested in him,we better be as interested in him,@know more than any other team,out there.he's ave.14 pts 8 reb a game in spain now.he could be a diamond in the ruff.if he ave. 15-10 here,he is a Milsap #2!!keeping my fingers crossed...

• Chuck Nunn
    June 2, 2010 12:08 a.m.

I'm tellin' y'all, this kid is a special player. He's not the Croatian Michael Jordan or anything, but 7-2 guys aren't usually as savvy with the ball as he is.
    And even though he still is a bit on the thin side, he's a tenacious rebounder. He'll make a great Jazz player.

Peace out from the Jazz Oracle!