Utah

Non-LDS historians often ignore Mormon women, researcher says

Comments

• Smilecuziluvya
    June 3, 2010 6:17 p.m.

To Fredd - yes, women need to be called up by righteous priesthood holders. So do the men, though. Everyone does.

• Lee
    June 1, 2010 5:40 p.m.

Raybies, I never see “livid, vitriolic vilification” of Mormons on these message boards. Why are you so upset?

• U of U Fan
    June 1, 2010 5:17 p.m.

@raybies "I get the feeling that most people who are commenting on this article didn't actually read it."

It appears that most people who are commenting here are commenting on the comments, not the article.

"All you anti-mormon haters, grow up. Your clueless agenda-mongering is showing. Why not try being a decent human being, and stop perpetuating the livid vitriolic nonsense that is PRECISELY what this honest historian has exposed in her research.

I repeat. GROW UP!"

Charles, a Mormon critic who posts often, said (first post): "Get a clue. Mormon men ("priesthood holders") ignore Mormon women too."

That is what people are commenting on. I hardly see how disagreeing with Charles and Fredd and presenting arguments to counter Charles' and Fredd's arguments is considered "clueless agenda-mongering" and "perpetuating the livid vitriolic nonsense". But think what you want.

• Fredd
    June 1, 2010 5:10 p.m.

The priesthood is much more then service, it's power.

• firstamendment
    June 1, 2010 4:36 p.m.

I really enjoyed the article. I thank Catherine for her willingness to help educate all of us.

I believe the BSU comment was accurate, and have often wondered why so many historians have overlooked the major contributions of Utah and Mormon women.

I know there are those who are anti-Mormon here on the Deseret News every day (Vanka seems to admit to being so) and every where else. I always try to not let their bitterness become mine.

• firstamendment
    June 1, 2010 4:23 p.m.

I really enjoyed the article and some of the comments. I was also always taught to respect women, by both my LDS parents. Like BSU says, "Priesthood is service, why add that to a full plate?"

As far as I know the rest of the BSU comment was accurate also. You would think that more historians would focus on the contributions of these LDS women.
    Thanks to Catherine for the article and for her willingness to reach out to others and educate us all.

Vanka admits to being an anti-Mormon. There are some who seem to be on the Deseret News every day. They don't seem to care if you are female or male, if you are LDS they will hate you all the same.

• Fredd
    June 1, 2010 3:35 p.m.

I thought a woman had to have a priesthood holder bring her into heaven. Could be father, brother, etc if not husband. I might be wrong. But it seems I've read that in various sources.

• Vanka
    June 1, 2010 3:33 p.m.

Yeah! What Ray says! All you anti-mormon haters stop hating on us anti-mormons!

Ray, you crack me up!

• raybies
    June 1, 2010 6:35 a.m.

The historian in question is NOT LDS. She has noted a trend among NON-LDS historians to ignore mormon women.

This says nothing of the LDS men, or their historians... in fact it implies the opposite.

I repeat. GROW UP!

You may even find there are valuable and virtuous lessons you can learn from the people you have knee-jerk decided to villify.

--Ray

• Sally Smiles-a-Lot
    May 31, 2010 11:25 p.m.

To FREDD at 12:36. A Mormon woman, gets into Heaven the same way a Mormon man does, by living the commandments of God to the best of her ability. I think what you might be referring to has to do with the marriage sealing in heaven, but again, it depends on the righteousness of the individuals. Many righteous women are married to unrighteous men, and that will not keep them "out of heaven". God is absolutely fair and just, and will deal with each person according to his or her efforts to be obedient to His commandments.

• the truth
    May 31, 2010 6:36 p.m.

I believe NON MORMON historians ignore mormon women,

becaue they have an ANTI MORMON agenda,

and a negative image of mormons they wish project.

• terrick
    May 31, 2010 4:10 p.m.

I will add my voice to so many who have praised women in the LDS faith. I cannot say enough about how women are respected and loved in the LDS faith. I find it more than curious that a few critics(above) fail to acknowledge that the Twelve as picked by our Saviour were all men. Let me be somewhat blunt here to the critics: none of this should matter to you as you refuse to accept our claim(s) that the LDS Church is the true Church of Jesus-Christ.

• north-country
    May 31, 2010 3:21 p.m.

In evangelical churches, we believe women are priests in the royal priesthood of believers (1 Peter 2:5).

Tony

• Karl
    May 31, 2010 1:29 p.m.

@Vanka. You'd probably also like other affirmative action items in heaven, such as some homosexual angels, or maybe God should have made Jesus Christ be a woman, or something. What's with all this homogeny?!? Why doesn't God just get a clue?!? Or maybe he knows some things we don't...hmmm.....

Sorry for my irreverence and sarcasm. I just wonder how many times this point needs to be brought up. I'll try to learn more patience.

• Vanka
    May 31, 2010 12:53 p.m.

As soon as there is a woman in the Quorum of the 12 or the First Presidency, then and ONLY then will you know that women are "equals" and are not "ignored" in the LDS Church.

• Fredd
    May 31, 2010 12:36 p.m.

My bad. After taking care of the house, kids, and husband why would a woman want to have equal power before God? How does a woman get into heaven? Doesn't a priesthood holder have to summon her? (more or less)

• Screwdriver
    May 31, 2010 7:41 a.m.

I don't know, ever since I was about 12 I've paid a lot of attention to mormon women. heeee heee, blush.

I just watched a nice documentary about Emma Smith. I was very touched by her strength and kindness. I wish I could vote for her for President.

• Sarah Nichole
    May 31, 2010 7:28 a.m.

Re: Fredd

Women are not excluded from the priesthood. When sealed for eternity in the temple, they are joint-holdiers of that priesthood with their husband. They do not exercise that power in the same way, because that is not their calling. Read the Family Proclamation. It outlines the different responsibilities that men and women have been given. Their callings are different, but they are not unequal.

• BSU
    May 30, 2010 10:21 p.m.

My mother, a former General Church officer from East LA, always taught me about the wonderful contributions of Mormon women. She expressed the attitude, which I agree with, that a mother’s prayer, or blessing, was one of the most powerful of blessings. It was Lucy’s prayers that saved Joseph more than once. And priesthood is service, why do women need to add that to the full plate?

I was taught, and I’m not sure where each of these ideas came from, but some were certainly from my mother, that: Utah and Mormon women were some of Americas first female Lawyers and Doctors, and Utah women were first to vote, and many other things. The media (besides DN) and historians typically leave these facts out and events such as M. Meadows seems to be all they want to discuss of Utah History.

I’ve also noticed (especially after reading “Hearken Oh Ye People” and the wonderful discussions of Black Pete, and the major African cultural contributions in the formation of the Church) that historians also tend to leave discussions of Black LDS out of the picture.

Is this ok monitor? I've changed it 5 times.

• U of U Fan
    May 30, 2010 10:15 p.m.

@Fredd

God has made it so that the men hold the Priesthood. It is His Priesthood - let him grant it to whom He desires. Women are given other gifts such as spirituality, etc. that often exceed men. The Mormon women are, generally, more active and more dedicated in the LDS Church than the men are.

Sorry, Fredd and Charles, the facts are overwhelmingly against your arguments.

• Alpine Blue
    May 30, 2010 9:50 p.m.

These false stereotypes have been perpetuated since the restoration of the church in an effort to discredit the priesthood leadership of the church.

In my experience, Latter-day Saint women are some of the most educated, most capable, and most respected of all women on the earth. The over-whelming majority of righteous priesthood holders understand and respect the true role of women in the eternal scheme of things-as eternal partners and co-equals in the eternal family.

Of course there are those so-called PH holders who do not truly understand the true nature of women and continue to abuse them and their children. President Hinckley used to remind the brethren about their obligation to honor women in almost every Priesthood session of General Conference.

Unfortunately it is these few abusive men and the modern media that continue to perpetuate the myth of weak women and cause so many of our women and young women to doubt themselves and suffer from lack of self-esteem.

• Fredd
    May 30, 2010 7:09 p.m.

Mormon's exclude women from the priesthood. What greater example of ignoring them do you need?

• Rick for Truth
    May 30, 2010 6:15 p.m.

Charles, sadly I wonder, why do you feel we (men) ignore LDS women. Let’s see, not at family pray, not at family scripture study, not for family home evening, not on Sundays, not during any meals, not when were sick, feeling depressed, or giddy with excitement or joy. Not on date night, not at any family outings or activities, not when we are trying to fulfill our or her church callings, not during any humanitarian assistance activates, not during birthdays, not during anniversaries, in fact if it were not for my wife, almost none of the for-mentioned would have been even half a success. Maybe you are not following the prescribed formula for family success? I am eternally grateful for the LDS women in my life, and praise them and wish them all the blessings from heaven that they can obtain; sadly, your experiences must have been substandard to have such a poor belief in the structure of the family. I will pray for you tonight.

• Stenar
    May 30, 2010 6:12 p.m.

Unfortunately, historians have been neglecting all women for ages, not just LDS women.

• Sally Smiles-a-Lot
    May 30, 2010 5:50 p.m.

Charles, I have to definitely disagree with that. With very few exceptions, all of the men I know, who are active in the Church and live the doctrines, are very respectful of women. All of the General Authorities are, also, and often talk about it in their talks and articles. Of course, there are "Mormon" men who are not respectful, and who ignore women, but that is true of any religion, or no religion. That depends on the individual person. Personally, I'm grateful for the priesthood holders who are in my life, and who add so much to my family.

• the truth
    May 30, 2010 5:48 p.m.

Get a real clue,

they have an agenda,

and an image of the mormons they wish to project,

and they will not let the truth get in the way.

apparently "Charles" has that same agenda of hate.

• carman
    May 30, 2010 5:45 p.m.

Charles:

I have no doubt that your statement would have been correct if you had been a bit more restrained. Certainly "some" Mormon men ignore Mormon women. Your statement, however, is patently false and displays more about your attitudes of the LDS church and culture than it says about how LDS men view LDS women. Please be a bit more restrained and you will be more believable.

• Swingwise
    May 30, 2010 5:41 p.m.

Men in general 'ignore' women, unless they have internalized the attitudes of freedom that are taught by various religions and groups. The teachings of the LDS church (if you read them, you'll see this) are adamantly against the degradation of any women. Men who do it anyway are in violation of the church's standards and will, according to what is taught, be condemned at the last day.