Sports

BYU basketball: School unaware of Michael Loyd Jr.'s troubles

Comments

• Flashback
    May 18, 2010 8:23 a.m.

The speeding tickets I can overlook. The Alcohol violations and the drug charges I can't. It's was best for all concerned when he left.

• deseretcou
    May 17, 2010 6:11 p.m.

A positive article that shows there are no honor code Danites, or honor code officers who monitor BYU Students and student athletes. I'm glad to read the facts about BY univertsity's good faith trust which it extends to all its students, staff, and faculty unless the individuals publicize otherwise.

• terrick
    May 17, 2010 6:03 a.m.

I am personally offended at these folks who play fast and loose with the personal integrity of coaches etc. Would you appreciate clueless people calling you liars and worse. Easy for you to slander a coach you never have to look in the eye. How would you like to apply for a job and have a background check full of lies about YOUR honesty and integrity. I suggest those who find it easy to accuse Rose and others of lies and cover-ups get some personal integrity and just imagine yourself in their shoes. I have had folks spread falsehood and lies about my integrity and morals. I even had to warn my wife this stuff was happening. I am in high elected office in my community and a long-time respected businessman and Latter-day Saint as well. Yet folks still spread lies and slander my character. When I spoke with the Chief of Police he just laughed because he knows me well and advised me to just ignore the lies. I have a dear friend in high position at BYU who has been victim on the internet of slander and character assassination and who is defenseless.

• Rumplestiltskin
    May 16, 2010 12:07 a.m.

This story should not be surprising to anyone with half a brain.

Why wouldn't Loyd have had something to hide?? He saw what happened with Unga and got out of Provo while the going was good.

And yet everyone here was naive enough to believe it was about playing time behind Jimmer? After a year of riding the bench already? Are you kidding me?

I hope all you people on here who pretended to be sympathetic to Loyd just because he played on BYU's basketball team are eating your words now.

• MOUte
    May 15, 2010 11:14 p.m.

This saga reminds me of the drinking incident with which Mendenhall was faced. Only after the kid played five games and news of the incident was disclosed by the media did Mendenhall stand tall and kick him off the team.

Now, at the conclusion of the basketball season, we have Coach Rose saying..."speeding?" "Possession?" "Drunk driving?" I...I had no idea. "Loyd, you're gone cuz this is BYU and we don't tolerate such behavior."

I'm sorry coach Mendenhall, Coach Rose, and BYU...I'm not buying it.

• BYUHOCKEY
    May 15, 2010 9:39 p.m.

Anyone that gets a DUI (for alcohol or drugs) has a longstanding problem. They need help. What i would like to see is BYU do background checks, checks with friends/family, ongoing drug testing (urine and blood), and also have the coaches out and about for curfew checks etc. Take the kids who are at risk and plunk them down with an NCAA approved "family" whether that be a professional babysitter resident assistant in the dorms or a real life off campus foster family who get paid to be mom and dad. These athletes are after all, professional athletes plain and simple. 'Student athletes' is just jargon for the title IX masses. The athletes are given scholarships in exchange for tuition, books, room and board allowances, etc and in return they are to represent the school they play for. in the case of BYU or any other school they also represent the honor code of that given school. BYU's honor code happens to stricter than most. the players are thus getting PAID TO PLAY. thus they are professional athletes. so let's expect what any employer would expect of their employee in a contract.

• donburi
    May 15, 2010 4:29 p.m.

SoCal, did you even read the article? Or you are commenting on a comment? The article makes it clear that there were no known honor code violations when the decision to part ways was made...

• dhsalum
    May 15, 2010 4:19 p.m.

Anyone who says BYU will go .500 next year needs to look at the schedule, it's not gonna happen. They will win at the very least 7 games.

And "Come On"-- I'm sure there are a lot of people at BYU not living the honor code exactly but seriously, a lot of people go to BYU because they want to learn and live in that kind of environment, and they enjoy it. Not everyone is like you, bro...

• Southern California
    May 15, 2010 3:15 p.m.

Not an honor code violation?? Are you kidding me??

• Esquire
    May 15, 2010 11:14 a.m.

Move on, folks. It didn't work out. It's not the end of the world.

• SportsFan
    May 15, 2010 9:12 a.m.

It's sad that juvenile Utah fans like Chris B find so much pleasure in the troubles of one young man.

As far as Harvey is concerned, we all know that the probable reason that Harvey withdrew from BYU, wouldn't have even raised an eyebrow up on the hill.

• Spicy McHaggis
    May 15, 2010 8:32 a.m.

Harvey will be back next fall. No doubt about it.

• Dixie Dan
    May 15, 2010 8:21 a.m.

I guess a new requirement for keeping the Honor Code will be to have a clean DMV record.

• 93 COUGAR
    May 15, 2010 7:51 a.m.

Thanks to the utah fans. After every BYU article they continue to prove Max Hall correct.

• Turtle
    May 15, 2010 5:27 a.m.

Sad story. Best of luck to Michael as he has a lot of talent.

I would hope that the U fans would just stay off of BYU boards and comment on their own. We should do the same and respect them...

• Buster
    May 15, 2010 1:48 a.m.

Chris B

A young man has legal issues, and you find joy in it? This goes past the game and deals with real life issues that could eventually hurt this young mans future, and it makes you happy?

Loyd had already left BYU, so today's news does not affect the program. Where does your sense of joy come from?

If things like this, and a wishing a .500 year from a school with 10 wins in the past four years is what it takes to make you happy, I seriously suggest you find another hobby. Get a job, take some classes, get a girlfriend... get a life.

I would hate to be where you are now.

Michael. Good luck getting your life figured out. You have so much ability to let it go to waste. Find yourself a place to play the game you love and excel at. Work the academic end, and keep focused on the important things.

I wish you the best at whatever program you land at. You have the skills. Don't let them go to waste. The NBA is not looking for players with baggage, but they do give second chances.

Good Luck Michael.

• Come On
    May 15, 2010 12:59 a.m.

I can't even believe there is a story about this! Seriously who hasn't been cited for a speeding ticket, and if they haven't, I can count at least 90% of the people on the roads everyday that should be. The other matter should never have been brought up either because half of the kids under 21 should be cited for this as well, they just haven't been caught. I know kids that are going to BYU next year that are doing this now and have been for awhile. I see this as a chance to throw Mike under the bus and it's embarrassing that anyone would stoop this low. It doesn't have anything to do with anything. Don't even bring up the honor code either, almost everyone attends could be kicked out with that thing!

• BlueCoug
    May 14, 2010 10:06 p.m.

Unfortunately for Loyd, it's looking more and more like Coach Rose was right about having Michael leaving the team.

It's too bad that he wasn't more committed to doing what he knew that he was supposed to be doing. Loyd has lots of potential, but he's throwing away golden opportunities because of personal issues that he seems unable or unwilling to address.

Hopefully, this will be a wakeup call to Michael.

• TrueBlue
    May 14, 2010 9:12 p.m.

Thank you Chris B for you insight, but, if I were a Utah fan whose best friend played for the U, I'd be more worried about the U finishing closer to .500 than my rival.

• Cats
    May 14, 2010 8:32 p.m.

The article stated that it was NOT an honor code issue. It kind of sounds like they just weren't getting along. Also, I believe it states that the legal troubles were WHILE he was at BYU and NOT BEFORE he enrolled. In that case, running a security check wouldn't have turned anything up. Just Sayin'.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan
    May 14, 2010 7:59 p.m.

It remains unclear from the article, was Loyd a student at BYU in January of 2009 when he was cited for underage drinking?
    If he was not then a student, then he had not yet agreed to live the honor code, and so he could not yet break it. BYU does not retroactively impose rules on students and punish them for previous failings.

If he had been admitted, he would have already signed the honor code, but to what extent students are held to its full rules before admitance is another question.

Beyound this, it is the honor code because it is built around people seeking to live up to its requirements. Background checks would be the anti-thesis of it.

Lastly, these are crimes. They are violations of the law. Are people out demanading that other colleges and universities do background checks on their players?

• Alpine Coug
    May 14, 2010 7:29 p.m.

Chris B/Hedgehog: As usual, we loyal Cougar fans, are always flattered by your fascination and obvious affection for all things Cougar. Although many have speculated about your never-ending enthusiasm for the teams of Provo, we respectfully submit that there is more interesting news up on the hill that is far more worthy of your attention as a Utah fan.

Yes, we have lost a couple of outstanding athletes-one of whom will probably be returning (Unga), while coach Boylen has personally lost four players-none of whom will be returning.

And, as per your regular pattern-we thank you for being the very first to comment on this Cougar article. It is almost like you have a DesNews scanner that alerts you immediately of any new Cougar sports articles.

Again, we so appreciate your genuine desire to be good neighbor to your Cougar friends and family.

• Alpine Coug
    May 14, 2010 7:25 p.m.

Honestly Chris B/hedgehog, as usual, we loyal Cougar fans, are always flattered by your fascination and obvious affection for all things Cougar. Although many have speculated about your never-ending enthusiasm for the men of Provo, we respectfully submit that there is "car wreck" up on the hill that is far more worthy of your attention as a Utah fan.

• Y Ask Y
    May 14, 2010 6:49 p.m.

What? They don't do background checks on their athletes before admitting them to BYU and giving them a scholarship? Sounds like negligence on Rose's part, if you ask me.

• oldcougar
    May 14, 2010 4:33 p.m.

Too bad. He's an exciting player who could have contributed a lot the next couple of seasons. I hope he does well wherever he goes. I think the Cougs will be OK...plenty of talent.