Sports

Utah Jazz: Lakers sweep way to conference finals

Comments

• LAfan
    May 13, 2010 11:15 a.m.

Samwise,

Fair enough. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here. It's not as if all LA fans are perfect angels.

Look forward to playing you guys again soon....

• Zoniezoobie
    May 13, 2010 9:39 a.m.

Los Angeles is boycotting all business with Arizona...Too bad the Lakers will have to forfeit all games at Phoenix :)

• Hossman
    May 11, 2010 11:43 p.m.

I hereby dub the term "stay classy" as over used. Whoever uses he word shall henceforth be known as moron. That is all

• toddfromsantaana
    May 11, 2010 9:14 p.m.

ed: relative of O Connor

Keep all believing what you want and we will see you all back same time next year, talking the same things again and again and yet again

Beat the Lakers with Sloan and the "sloanaholics"

Sure....

We are not saying the boys did not play hard and it was a more enjoyable season than last. All good.

However, watching the weaknesses get exposed by the Lakers, if you want to come back with the same team and think it is going to win a "title" I have some cheap land to sell

Keep supporting being average. I beg you...

• ed
    May 11, 2010 7:29 p.m.

I have to admit that I was surprised at how well Fes played in this game. I spent my time watching only him, when he was on the floor. He was blocking out and helping on defense better than any Jazz player, in quite a while. The biggest problem is that the 4's have a hard time rotating for him, when he has to help.

Yes, I am a Sloanaholic and I will be back next year. I liked the progress of this time, this year. It is still a lot of young players. They will get better.

• Large Tuna
    May 11, 2010 5:18 p.m.

Give them a break, they played a team with 3 centers when we have 1 center. can't play fes 48 minutes, we had to play small ball at some point. we just got out-sized, there's not much more to say about it except it would have been nice if boozer showed up. gasol was giving him lessons out there. we need a replacement for him. one good year doesnt make up for 4 crappy years.

They had a good year, and played hard. just didnt have the right pieces to play the lakers, you can't blame them for not being tall enough, they did their best. hopefully the draft pick and a boozer replacement will help.

They better find a way to keep matthews, thats all i gotta say. maybe boozer will help us out with a sign and trade?

• Chuck Nunn
    May 11, 2010 4:49 p.m.

Will do Captain L. First off, is trying to do my own season wrap-up, then updates on Tomic and Dragicevic is the next order of business. Also feel free to check my mock draft often, as mine will likely adjust right along with all the big boys.

As to Derek Fisher, I can never boo that man for his decision to move to an area where he could get his daughter treatment. But on the other hand, folks have to understand that when he decided to rejoin a franchise that Jazz fans just plain don't like, he has to expect some boos. Of course, the comments and actions fans made with reference to his daughter are unexcusable. But he'll never receive a warm reception in SLC from fans, so folks ought not to be surprised when it happens. I still think he's a class act, though, even though I think folks would have been less angry if he'd gone to play for the Knicks or the Nets.

• JK
    May 11, 2010 4:31 p.m.

HEY EVERYONE ITS GONNA BE OK...

The Master Toddfromsantaana said that Bill Laimbeer coached Karl Malone's Daughter.....WOW!!!!
    we've got a new coach on the horizon....thank goodness....anyone that coached the Mailman's daughter must be great!!!!

There must also be someone out there that coached one of Stockton's kids..maybe he can be the assistant coach...

• Captain L
    May 11, 2010 3:55 p.m.

Re Chuck Nunn : I agree, with your comments about Fes.
    Let me know when your post will be available regarding Ante Tomic.
    Looked at several of the mock drafts when I went to your site, interesting. Liked Tom Izzo's mock.
    Let me know what you think of Udoh, Izzo had him at #6or7.

• Sokol
    May 11, 2010 3:42 p.m.

The problem with Sloan is that there is really a blue print now on how to beat the Jazz. All the coaches seem to have figured it out....Sloan is not
    innovative enough or inspiring enough to stay...
    He needs to reture.

• Johnson72
    May 11, 2010 3:41 p.m.

Number on paper do not win championships... I dont care how many more points The Great Darren Williams scores than Fisher.. Untill Williams can get as many rings as Fish does he is not better on the hardwood.. Paper maybe but as I see Fish is at LEAST 4 times better the darren williams right now!!!

• Rational
    May 11, 2010 3:28 p.m.

Bugoff, do you even have season tickets? You are so happy to spend the Jazz' money

• Bugoff
    May 11, 2010 3:09 p.m.

I think the best strategy is to

1. try to get the Jazz organziation to get the most and best talent they can.

2. fix the weaknesses.

3. get Greg and KOC to put some pressure on Sloan to make adjustments he should.

4. Wisely pay the lux tax as needed.

Jerry is not going to retire and he is not going to be replaced. The next best approach it to try to get enough talent and change to win.

• Samwise
    May 11, 2010 3:07 p.m.

To LAfan

The vast majority of Jazz fans that I know are more like Sid and less like the idiotic judgmental Jazz fans who aggravate you. If you think those fans aggravate you as a Lakers fan, just imagine how it is as a Jazz fan. I personally always try to give people the benefit of the doubt. LA does have some of the best Cancer treatment. And frankly, I can't really blame him for taking the best job in an area that has such great cancer treatment (as opposed to going to New York or New Jersey).

So please don't judge the Jazz fan base as a whole based on the words and actions of a few loud, obnoxious, rude, and classless fans. Also, if I could, I would tell TNT the same thing. It is frankly ignorant in and of itself to say that a fan base is ignorant or rude or anything based on the classless actions of a few.

• cvlfan
    May 11, 2010 3:05 p.m.

The Jazz deserve better fans. You guys have a hall of fame coach, in the same league as Phil Jackson and Greg Popovich. After those 3 no one else is close. Sloan gets more out of players than any other coach in the league.

Your team was overmatched in this series. The Lakers are the one contender that beats you in SLC. Throw in your injuries and you didn't really have a chance.

Complaints about Fisher are unfounded and classless. Two cities have centers that deal with pediatric retinoblastoma. At the time Fisher was considered to be way overpaid and on the downhill slide. NY did not want him. LA did. He took a pay cut going to LA, and did Utah a favor at the time. He very graciously acknowledged the class act by Larry Miller in releasing him from his contract, and went to an LA team that was in shambles and a noncontender. Had he not been released, or had LA or NY not signed him, he would have retired. Notice how none of the Jazz players make the same stupid comments that their fans make?

Had Utah won, I'd be rooting for them.

• tvb
    May 11, 2010 2:58 p.m.

Jazz, No one makes you accountable for your efforts, not even yourselfs. You should only get paid if you win, wouldn't that change things! You would see a whole new level of play, every game. Now, Jazz need to replace front office, bring in someone who could actually make some decisions, fire Sloan (time to retire to the ranch)get rid of booooooozer, change the line up.

• toddfromsantaana
    May 11, 2010 2:13 p.m.

Sloan will never be fired. Like the clowns in the state, most like "being competitive" and refuse to ever want better for them and theyr'e lives. Total boring complacency.

We can only hope "Jer gets frustrated and tired" and quits.

He said publicly, he does not like change. I believe he would not want John Salmons, Joe Johnson Or Chris Bosh.

THey would be "threats" to his coaching, continuity, change, and to the "sloanaholics"

Who would I like that would likely come to Utah?

Avery Johnson
    Bill Laimbeer

Both are being interviewed for multiple coaching vacancies. Yeah I guess "they really stink"

Toughness and Defense, energetic, sound and positive leadership. People thought Bill would not be a good fit in the WNBA and won 2 titles. He coached Karl Malone's daughter.

If you want change in players: the only way is if you offer a package "to Jer" to go back to the farm

On his way out he can cleanse and take with him "the Sloanaholics"

• Go Big Blue!!!
    May 11, 2010 2:07 p.m.

Thanks Jerry for another great season. Thanks for putting out a quality product on a tight budget. I am certainly not happy about being swept by the Lakers, but I do appreciate all that Sloan does putting together players and teaching them team ball. Hope you are back for another go at it! Go Jazz!!!

• LAfan
    May 11, 2010 2:06 p.m.

Thank you Sid 6.7 for giving me hope that there are some decent Jazz fans still out there. It's one thing to hate a player for choosing your rival (despite the fact that LA has the BEST cancer treatment in the world). It's another thing to taunt him by yelling "cancer" and covering one eye while he shoots a free throw. "Fisher lied" t-shirts are disgraceful and should not have been allowed in the arena. That show you the poor taste your organization displays. Larry Miller was a class act. The fans have continued to prove themselves the rudest, most obnoxious group in the land.

One of my closest friends in LA was a die hard Jazz fan growing up. Even he can't stand the disgusting antics from the fans.

The Clippers have Baron Davis. LA was in serious need of a PG. The man took a serious pay cut to give his daughter medical attention. Did ONE Jazz fan bother to comment on how his daughter was cured? NO. Instead you continue to pout and whine and cry about how he went to your rival.

Basketball is a game folks. Not life.

• Bugoff
    May 11, 2010 2:03 p.m.

If Fes consistently plays as well as he did last night and is paired with the right PF the Jazz will be formidable. If Fes develops an average offensive game he will be one of the better Cs in the NBA.

I understand that he is still raw but he has only been playing 20 minutes for about 10 games and those minutes are against Nene, Gasol and Bynum. He is doing really well for just being thrown to the wolves.

He totally altered DEN's inside game and attacking guards. He altered LA's inside game and made Kobe pay when he came inside. Kobe still came inside but he missed some point blank shots after getting clocked a couple of times.

Kobe has more guts than Lawson but he still paid a price. I wonder how his finger feels today. He hit Fes and had to go out for a re tape.

• Tyler
    May 11, 2010 1:45 p.m.

Sokol
    The Spurs got swept, does this mean Pop needs to go? Of course not. When a coach makes it to the 2nd round with a banged up team (and when they were not supposed to make it out of the first round) they are doing something right.

The Lakers have better players at EVERY position except for PG and have one of the best coaches EVER. Is it so terrible and unacceptable to lose to them? The Jazz were in every game and had a chance to win each except for game four despite these disadvantages. I would say that is a good enough job for a coach.

• Chuck Nunn
    May 11, 2010 1:26 p.m.

Anybody who can't see that Fesenko played a man's game last night and gave the Jazz a shot at winning a game they were totally out of needs to go back and watch it again. I hope he comes back to this team and is a part of it for seasons to come.

• Johnny Triumph
    May 11, 2010 12:56 p.m.

B'Bye Boozer

• RSL LOVER
    May 11, 2010 12:18 p.m.

I thank Jerrry because he used what he had and he delivered a great product, we beat the Tugs when every one including some of you were counting the team out after game 1 in Denver.

As for Buzz, you should go and post your comments on L.A. times or any media in So Cal, you are talking about class, well show some class and don't write any more of your comments about your Lakers in here, we are helping each other to make this end of the season easier and we are looking the way to make our team, "The Utah Jazz" better over the course of the time.

I think the Lakers-Sun will be an interesting series, the NBA Final will be Lakers- Cavs, referees will make sure that that happens. And the King will reign at the end of the season.

This summer will be really busy, draft, free agency, world cup, and I hope the front office has listened to Deron's requested last night and they do what ever needs to be done in order to have a Championship team and not a 4 o 5 seeded as he said.

• dwillfan
    May 11, 2010 12:07 p.m.

MrsH, yeah they did call us ignorant, which was ignorant in itself. ALL fans are emotional. heck, we even condemn our own team at times, but for them to call us ignorant was absolute rubbish. everyone knows that the u of u hospital has one of the best cancer treatment centers in the nation. fisher, supposedly, wanted to leave utah to take his daughter (who suffers from retinoblastoma) to seek medical attention elsewhere.

are you telling me that the u of u doctors/staff weren't good enough or equipped to handle her condition?

anyway, that's where it all stemmed from.

• Bugoff
    May 11, 2010 12:01 p.m.

Water Rocket It is miss management of the Sloan system prevents the Jazz from going deep in the playoffs.

The Jazz Organization had a PF and C who could not defend, wings who could not shoot and also refused to put enough money/talent into the team to create a winner.

The wings can shoot better. Okur is out but does not have a developed replacement. The PFs are undersized. The interior D is still porous but better in the last game with Fes playing better.

The Jazz insisted on continuity. They have been forced to make changes. There finally is some hope.

Now if they will get the right players for the key positions and get enough talent in the team they might contend.

The Jazz built weaknesses into this team and then refused to fix them. Hopefully this next time they get it right and keep it going.

Udoh is a little soft (maybe fix). Monroe plays with one hand (fixable?).

Get a AK clone who can shoot better in the 2nd round.

Develop Fes/Koufos/Gaines.

Resign Mathews who will get better.

Add an inside out set of plays to unpack the paint.

• Sokol
    May 11, 2010 11:52 a.m.

I wonder if other people are saying its time for Sloan to hang it up. I think its time for him to go......I saw nothing from Sloan to want him back.
    When a good team gets swept, even Sloan should be on the firing line...

• water rocket
    May 11, 2010 11:48 a.m.

No team likes to loose, and no true fan is happy when their team looses. Frustration aside, we are lucky to have a quality Jazz team year in and year out, with injuries, egoes, uncoachable "height" issues, other teams with fat wallets, and so forth. One great thing Phil Jackson does that I think is great is how he teachs phylisophically (sp) as well as X's and O's to get his team to "think" as a team and give it their all every game.

• sid 6.7
    May 11, 2010 11:36 a.m.

I have to say never have I been more embarrassed to be a Jazz fan than I was last night. Not because our team lost but because of how some of our fans acted.
    Did two women (and I use that term lightly) show up with T-shirts which read "Fisher Lies"? Words can never describe how utterly low class that is and it boarders on the moronic. Nay, it is totally moronic.
    To personally attack a professional basketball player for switching teams so he could better care for his child with cancer is pathetic at best and neither of you should ever be allowed to set foot in the ESA ever again.
    Your both an embarrassment to our city to our state and to the Jazz organization!
    Shame on you both!

• Buzz
    May 11, 2010 11:33 a.m.

Hey Water Rocket-

The Lakers have only one free agent on their team that has any signficant playing time:

Ron Artest and this is his first year.

Kobe is homegrown, Fisher is homegrown, Bynum is homegrown. Ariza was homegrown last year.

Maybe you are referring to them signing Josh Powell?

Gasol and Odom were traded and the Lakers gave up Shaq in his prime, Marc Gasol and two draft picks. Even Popovich now says that trade was a good one for the Grizzlies. Google it if you don't believe me.

• patriot
    May 11, 2010 11:24 a.m.

If AK and Memo were healthy all throughout the playoffs we would probably be headed back to LA right now with the series tied 2-2 and fans would be happy as clams. Come on people, you can't lose your entire inside game and expect to compete against the biggest team in the league. The Jazz did the best with what they had but you can only squeeze so much blood out of the rock. Next year the Jazz need to go get a bigger power forward plus bring in some more inside players to help out Memo.

• Buzz
    May 11, 2010 11:17 a.m.

Sportzfan-

Against that person's best interest? You mean against the Spazz fan's jealousy right? Would you be happy if he went to the Clippers instead? What if he helped them become a contender and then beat the Jazz? You would be crying the same.

The man took 8 million less to go and play for the Lakers. What do you have to say about that? Does that make sense to you? The man wanted a ring that badly? He already had 3!

One of the biggest problem I have with all of this is the hypocrisy among Jazz fans.

Let me remind you. When Boozer joined your basketball team, he basically lied to the ownership of the Cleveland Cavs by stating he would resign if he was "released early" from his contract, but turned around and signed with the Jazz instead for a bigger contract.

Talk about hypocrisy! Once again, to those unclassy Utah Jazz fans, enjoy your off-season... you got what you deserved!

• water rocket
    May 11, 2010 11:09 a.m.

1 more comment, I have really enjoyed Boozer in the last half of the season this year. He has shown a real commitment to the team that he didn't show before. I don't know if it was simply to increase his trade-ability, or if he actually wants to make the Jazz a better team. If his thinking is the latter, then I hope he stays, but if he is just trying to look better so that he can be traded, then I hope he moves on. As for D Will, I think he gives it his all (ala Sloan style) and this is his team to make it a championship team. I just hope that we don;t hear that the Jazz are going to draft the "best player available." I hope that they go after a talented big for a change.

• water rocket
    May 11, 2010 11:02 a.m.

The Jazz are in the smallest market in the NBA, yet have one of the best won/loss records in the legue. Sloan has to develop his players, while LA simply buys the best talent (with the exception of Kobe). ANY NBA caliber player with a chance of playing in Utah or LA for the same money will always choose LA. Still, the players who have family interests in mind will choose a far safer Utah. I thank Sloan for what he has done, even though I think he is about as charming as a bull in a china shop.

• Dig Dug
    May 11, 2010 10:56 a.m.

Fans behaving like a bunch of whining thugs... kind of like the players they cheer for.

• kshio
    May 11, 2010 10:46 a.m.

Hey Samwise-
    no doubt d-will and d-fish are NOT comparable, EXCEPT when d-fish is playing d-will! for some reason, d-fish has d-will's head.

d-fish also gets to bump d-will a LOT, and then deron loses his cool when he doesn't get a call. it's happened almost every time they've played....

to me, the most visible stat for the jazz was assists. 15 or 16 on average probably for the series, and 25+ on average for the season. there you go. a lot of that is missed shots which would have been assists, or blocks, but a lot of it also is not making that extra pass. 10 fewer assists per game is a LOT when you consider any player averaging 10 a game would be an elite point guard all-star.

for some reason, the jazz didn't trust their offense. yeah, you'll get 10 or 12 blocked maybe, but shoot 50 layups, and you still get 30 of them to go down.....you can see that they just didn't trust that they were going to be able to score inside....

on to next year!

• CRB
    May 11, 2010 10:39 a.m.

This may be Jerry's best job of coaching ever. Too bad they ran into Kobe and the Lakers so early but Jerry took a team with one legitimate NBA starter in Williams and one-half of a legitimate offensive NBA starter (Boozer on offense only) and had a fabulous season. He of course has a group of great 6th through 10th NBA players but unfortunately some of these off the bench players are starting and getting paid starter's salaries. That will not get it done in the playoffs. Yet we have a good product here because Jerry gets so much out of what he is given. He has a center that is a 3 point shooting 7 foot guard that can't keep with his counterparts. A starter salary in Milsap who is a man without a position but an awesome 6th or 7th man and as they said on the original Gilligan's Island intro, "and the rest". This is a team that could easily drop to the bottom of the charts but somehow Jerry has them contending. Nice job Jerry. I hope in the future you get the personnel you deserve.

• Samwise
    May 11, 2010 10:31 a.m.

RE: Johnson72
    Here is a sampling of D-Will's and Fisher's stats:

Last night:
    D-Will had 21 points 9 assists 2 steals and 4 rebounds
    Fisher had 10 points 1 assist 3 steals and 5 rebounds

Average for the year:
    D-Will: 18.7 points 10.5 assists and 1.3 steals 4.0 rebounds
    Fisher: 7.4 points 2.5 assists 1.1 steals 2.1 rebounds

Yes, the Lakers have the Jazz beat at every other starting position (PF because of size regardless of stats). But you would have to be a fool to think that Fisher is better then Williams. Don't get me wrong, I like Fisher. He is my favorite Laker and probably one of my favorite players in the league (which is a hard thing for me since he is on the Lakers). But he is not better then Deron Williams. Not by a long shot.

• embarassed fan
    May 11, 2010 10:30 a.m.

What a embarassment! I attended the game last night with my 14 year old Grandson and was mortified by the behavior of the fans around us. Give Fisher a break! The doubting Thomas's who imply he had another motive may indeed be correct. What was it? To get away from a mediocre team, a mediocre city or perhaps mediocre classless fans

• SportzFan
    May 11, 2010 10:25 a.m.

Buzz,

I for one wouldn't ask someone to help me take care of my family, and turn around and do something which was definitely against that person's best interest. That Fisher would, and you approve, speaks volumes about both of you.

• blauch
    May 11, 2010 10:25 a.m.

I will happily Boo Fisher forever. I cannot stand that man. We all know the Jazz need better players.

If Okur/AK was there healthy we don't get swept, but we still loose this series. Fes played well tonight - Some team is going to spend on him and he will be gone.

As far as I am concerned the only 3 players untouchable are Williams, Matthews, and Millsap. I like to keep AK - for the fact that in 2 years we should be able to have him for about 1/4 the amount he is being paid now. Miles is playing well, but I still think he is absolutely replaceable.

Wish the Jazz wouldn't have resigned Okur. Boozer defense was horrible this off season. But he played a lot of minutes and showed Hart. Sap was great and the future.

The Jazz need another Big (who plays defense and can score on the block.

Yes the Jazz need better players down low. Fes played his best game of the series and now some team will make an offer to him and the Jazz won't match. There are about 100 big better than him in this league.

• Samwise
    May 11, 2010 10:20 a.m.

Go Suns now, I guess.

Although I think Sloan has done some good for the franchise in the past, I actually am beginning to agree that it might be time for him to retire. It might be better for him as well as the team.

• Captain L
    May 11, 2010 10:15 a.m.

As far as the draft is concerned, at this point (and things could change), I like Udoh as my first pick, then Monroe or Motiejunas. Udoh is 6'10", long, athletic, shot blocker, defender, handles the ball like a pt forward. Monroe is 6'10/11, not quite as athletic nor is he as good a shot blocker, he plays smart, you can facilitate your offense thru him, pretty one sided (lefty). Motiejunas is 7' and very offensive minded, good mobility, they compare him to Bargnani of Toronto. All three play the 4 spot and would give us size and length we now don't have. I like Udoh because of his shot blocking, defense, and ball handling. None of the three will be able to come in and replace Booz to start the season but AK can fill in at the 4 (as can KK & Memo). If Fes and Kk can develop and we get one of those 3 in the draft we'll be in pretty good shape for the future.
    If the Jazz decided to go for a 3 man in the draft, Johnson or Aminu would be good but they maynot be there when we pick.

• Buzz
    May 11, 2010 10:14 a.m.

Here is the difference between a level-headed fan and a delusional one:

When my Lakers get to the Finals, I would not be surprised if the Magic beat them. I would tip my hat to them and say they are a great team and deserve it.

You won't hear me complaining about anything or trying to put down Magic players or coaches to make me feel better.

The Lakers can't win every year. It is possible that there are teams that are better than them. It is possible that they get outcoached. It is possible that they get outplayed.

• Buzz
    May 11, 2010 10:03 a.m.

I've been to a Jazz game when they played the Lakers and I heard it all from Jazz fans. So I don't blame the Lakers fans from giving the Spazz fans a taste of their own medicine. I'd like to see some Jazz fan try to break my nose.

Oh and you go ahead and relish the fact that a younger 6'8" player was able to swat an older 6'1" player. I think Fisher needs to stop playing with all of his championship rings on so they don't weigh him down.

Funny, how the Lakers still scored on that possession and Fisher only got swatted because he had just stolen the ball from the "best point guard in the NBA." How's that for an old man?

• Captain L
    May 11, 2010 9:58 a.m.

RE Chuck : Fes played a very good game, 12 boards, physical, tough, aggressive, didn't get many touches but still scored 4 pts. I thought he showed improvement.
    Re Tyler: The point to be made about Fes and the plus / minus statistics is : When Fes is in the game the Jazz out scored their opponent. It doesn't mean the player is a great player, it just means while they were on the floor their team either scored more, thus a plus statistic or they scored less, a minus statistic. While Fes was on the floor the Jazz were plus 9, while DWill was on the floor they were minus 19, it is not necessarily an indication of how a player played. What we are trying to say about Fes is that while he is on the floor the Jazz usually out score their opponent. And that is what we want. This has been the case all year,not just last night. That is why Fes has a positive plus / minus stat for the year. Fes has a lot of potential and just needs playing time and coaching. Hoping Fes works hard this summer and gets some individual coaching.

• MrsH
    May 11, 2010 9:55 a.m.

I've heard rumblings that the TNT announcers called Jazz fans 'ignorant'...Any info on that? (I didn't watch the game...)

Was it the fact that they were booing Fisher?

• plyxply
    May 11, 2010 9:47 a.m.

it seemed to me that Sloan left Boozer in solely to let Boozer know the Jazz want him around, not because he was helping the team at that moment. If he does what he should've done he pulls Boozer and puts Fes back in and leaves Boozer on the bench. I think Sloan is one of the greatest coaches in history and we're lucky to have him, but frankly last night was frustrating to watch.
    Boozer is so weak mentally that you could see immediately he didn't believe he could do anything against the Lakers and the Jazz had no chance with him in the game. Sign and trade him, but don't bring him back.

• Happy Valley Hillbilly
    May 11, 2010 9:22 a.m.

Coach Sloan said it correctly; the Jazz need a couple more pieces to round out this team and become a true championship contender. It will be interesting to see what happens to the roster during the off-season. My prediction for this year:
    Orlando beats the Lakers in the finals.

• bigsoccer
    May 11, 2010 9:22 a.m.

to Buzz: STayl classy Laker Fans, I was at the game last night, and the taunting by some of your fans made BYU and Utah fans look very classy, the greatest moment last night was when I saw a Lakers fan taunting some Jazz fans, and the next thing you know the Lakers fan was on the ground crying with a broken nose. Oh and when Fisher got swatted and put on the ground.

• maidenwings
    May 11, 2010 9:22 a.m.

Have fun wherever
    your Travels may Be
    thru the Seasons..
    So close to a great finish
    Thanks once again UtahJAZZ :)

• Buzz
    May 11, 2010 9:17 a.m.

Funny, but I heard the announcers say that Fisher gave the Jazz a list of teams that they could trade him to so that he could help his daughter. They decided to just let him go.

He happened to be going to New York for treatment at the time so obviously that was probably one city he had on the list.

So do you Jazz fans know if he tried to sign with a New York team? You must all have ties with his agent to know exactly what they did right?

Would you go and play for the Knicks or Nets if you could play for the Lakers? He took 8 million less to play for them. That doesn't sound very smart.

So according to you, since the Jazz let him out of his contract that meant he had to go to a team that was awful? He couldn't go to a team where he was familiar with the system or had a good chance of winning? He couldn't go where his family would be most comfortable.

Stay classy Spazz fans.

• SG Man
    May 11, 2010 8:54 a.m.

Thanks for the great season Jazz. Go Suns!!! Take out the Lakers. Lakers are just bigger and deserved to sweep that series. I hope management takes D-Will's message to heart, we need a few more pieces. Of course, they never listen and never get a talented big man. It will be the same story every year, 4-5 seed as D-Will stated. He is gone as soon as he can get out of here because Jazz management won't try to improve where it is needed to be a championship team. As for booing Fisher, we loved him while he was here and I still respect him, but he claimed he had to go to New York, not L.A. Jazz let him go free and clear. I hope his daughter is doing better, but what he did was classless going to LA instead of NY. Still wish him the best of luck. Go Jazz, can't wait for another typical season next year.

• Hugh G. Hater
    May 11, 2010 8:52 a.m.

Sneaky Jimmy-
    What about Dirk Nowitski?

I really don't see Jazz management putting together a big name trade. They are content with average records.

Rumor has it Bosh might be going to OKC. That would spell disaster for any team hoping to get to the finals out of the west.

• The B.I.V.
    May 11, 2010 8:51 a.m.

Here's to the postseason! Hopefully the draft or the free agent market yeilds some hope for next year...

• Uncle Rico
    May 11, 2010 8:38 a.m.

Thanks for the great season Utah Jazz! I'm looking forward to next year.

• Buzz
    May 11, 2010 8:30 a.m.

The only reason why I come on these boards is because of the delusional things I read from Spazz fans.

Jealous, delusional Spazz fans are so blind and such hypocrits that I can't just leave it alone. If your team was being villified like I see Spazz fans doing to the Lakers then you would respond as well

I have never heard fans cry so much about ref or NBA bias, star treatment, egos, salaries, etc. To think that the Lakers have 15 rings as a product of all this is just flat out denial and jealousy.

I see many level-headed Jazz fans on here who are great fans and root for their team without being babies at the same time. Spazz fans boo and heckle Fisher because they feel spited. They have all the proof that Fisher double-crossed them and will not consider that Fisher was ever sincere in his actions.

Give the Lakers credit for being an amazing franchise. There are other teams in the NBA that get the same kind of treatment or have the same elements in their favor who do not win anywhere near as much as the Lakers.

• Sneaky Jimmy
    May 11, 2010 8:30 a.m.

Key Learning from Lakers Series:
    1). Fes is not the answer. You wonder why Jerry doesn't play him? He's a tall clown.
    2). Lakers are a better team at every position except point guard.
    3). Okur would have helped but would not have put them over the top.
    4). Jazz will not be championship caliber until they get a dominant force inside (ie, Howard, Gasol,).

• Buzz
    May 11, 2010 8:10 a.m.

snakenamedjoe:

Your Jazz have won nothing signficant in their entire history and the Lakers have been in almost half of the Finals in NBA history. You have no idea what it feels like to support a champion and so you try to lessen what the Lakers have accomplished to make you feel better.

You Spazz fans keep hitting on the salary issue. Last year was the first time the Lakers were over the cap while winning the Championship. They were only 3 Mil over. Let's see, the Jazz are 2 Mil over this year and what did it get them? Name one team that is a legit contender for the title that is not over the cap. Your jealousy and hypocrisy is legendary Spazz fans.

The Mavs, Spurs, Cavs and Celtics are all well over the cap this year. You think the Lakers should field lesser talented teams all in the name of not going over the cap? That is ridiculous. Paying the most in salary is not a guarantee to success. Look at Dallas.

The Lakers were winning championships long before money became such a big player in the NBA. Stop your crying.

• Hugh G. Hater
    May 11, 2010 7:44 a.m.

Another season of "no change".
    Care to guess how next season will end?

Those girls wearing the "Fisher Lied" shirts were cute. I wonder if they poste here? Give us a shout out if you are ladies!

• Crowntown
    May 11, 2010 7:27 a.m.

WHy do you guys always bring FISH's name. THe guy isn't an all star and he's a LAKER and has played most of his career there. YOu guys take it waaaayy to personal and need to get a life.

• Crowntown
    May 11, 2010 6:50 a.m.

There are way too many posers in this state.

• John Wicks
    May 11, 2010 6:02 a.m.

This just shows this group needs to be broken up. Will be curious to see if Greg pulls it off. It's a disgrace getting swept in the playoffs regardless of who it is. I just hope the Suns stick it to the Zen Master and Kobe. I'm looking forward to this off season hoping for a major shakeup.

• Crowntown
    May 11, 2010 5:34 a.m.

Utah sports new Theme
    "Celebrate Mediocrity"

• CB
    May 11, 2010 5:28 a.m.

Hard to come back from such a heartbreaker Game 3. Have to believe that there is 'help' from the ref's. when so many attacks under the basket were rejected and no calls made. Just follow the money, and you know the Why. Have a good summer!

• B Russ
    May 11, 2010 3:37 a.m.

Do you think Gentry would have utilized someone like Fes? I think anyone in their right mind would have. I think Jerry Sloan and KOC have put too much presidence on the importance of Boozers offense. The guys with the rings will tell you, " defense wins championships."

Kevin are you going to tell us now that the need for big men in the NBA is like the need for the Dinasaur? If so you are wrong, again this year.* See Lakers.* Magic etc. ( championship caliber teams.)

• donnieboy48
    May 11, 2010 3:09 a.m.

Maybe the problem with the jazz isn'r the players, but the same old coach, who year after year fails to make it..

• B Russ
    May 11, 2010 2:39 a.m.

Fes should have been playing all year. For the last two years.

• Johnson72
    May 11, 2010 1:39 a.m.

could anyone prove me wrong?... No I guess not... But I been saying for years.... Jazz need new blood.... 20+ years huh???.... You serious???

• Johnson72
    May 11, 2010 1:33 a.m.

I'm still waiting for the helium to get to the PartY..... not even I saw this one coming!!!!

• snakenamedjoe
    May 11, 2010 1:28 a.m.

What a coincidence he didn't end up playing for Sacramento, or the Clippers. No, he goes straight to the championship contender. I'm sure his daughter was the first thing on his mind there.

So, the lakers get a big clutch man and starting point guard for nothing. Then a few months later the Lakers manage to land Pau Gasol, possibly the best big PF in the league, in exchange for a bag of shiny blue rocks.

Surprise, surprise, the NBA darlings just always seem to have the best players in the league just fall in their lap.

I don't understand how anyone can be a Lakers fan. You pick the team with the biggest salary, preferential treatment from the refs, the star players who all want to be there (for the salary and preferential treatment), and then you somehow think that you're special because the team you picked (with all the preferential treatment) manages to win all these championships.

Then that's not enough for you, you have to go onto a local news website for a team your team just swept and start crap with the fans.

Class Act.

• therush
    May 11, 2010 1:25 a.m.

As a die-hard Jazz fan whose completely mad for any team he supports, even I saw this series ending early. Thought 4-1, so even with my low expectations a sweep hurts. Being honest the Lakers were simply too long and too talented. Of the starting 5 it was pretty much a blowout position by position as far as Laker talent having a huge upper hand on the Jazz except at PG with DWill. Yet Fish can still get hot and drain those 3s. Plus the Lakers were just too long for the bread-and-butter of the Jazz which is interior passing. Put two seven-footers to clog the floor and passing lanes are going to disappear real fast.

As for the Sloan haters please name me one coach you would rather have coaching this team than Sloan who would actually come to UTAH. Hey, love the state but am probably in a severe minority when it comes to national opinion. Jackson and Karl are the only guys I can think of that could be considered legit better than Jerry (they're not) but neither of them would come to Utah for any amount of money.

• Johnson72
    May 11, 2010 1:25 a.m.

But where is the best point guard??? Oh must be Fisher hnuh???

• GoodGuyGary
    May 11, 2010 1:13 a.m.

I wonder if Harpring will the series different....

• carpediem
    May 11, 2010 1:04 a.m.

@utahswept The fans that booed fish were not booing him simply because he left the Jazz. Fish talked to the Jazz owner to get out of his contract so he could be closer to New York where his daughter was getting treated. But instead of going back east somewhere he went and joined the Lakers. We later found out that Fish had been talking to Kobe while he was with the Jazz and he was trying to get him to come to LA. That is why a lot of Jazz fans were mad. Because he was a big part of our team, and he left for the wrong reasons. It wasn't to be closer to New York.

• Tyler
    May 11, 2010 12:55 a.m.

Bugoff

Compare Gentry's personell to Sloan's. They are completely different; therefore, you cannot compare the rotation and line ups they put out.

I still fail to see what you see in Fes. The Jazz were +9 with Fes in tonight and -19 with Deron in. Does this mean we should play Fes more than Deron? Of course not. I personally think that stat (when looking at individual players) is extremely overrated.

If the Jazz want to do anything in the playoffs they need to find a legitimate big and not undersized 4s with unskilled 5s.

• SportzFan
    May 11, 2010 12:41 a.m.

utahswept | 11:34
    Any fan base that would boo the guy who left their team so he could get his sick kid better medical treatment deserves seeing their team swept. You stay classy, Utah.
    ----------
    NO ONE is angry at Fisher for seeking medical treatment for his daughter. NO ONE.

We object to a person who asks for his contract to be torn up "so he can do what is best for his family," and in return does what is worst for the man who helped him.

Fisher's daughter was being treated in NEW YORK. Fisher could've gone to the Nets, Knicks, Rockets (Houston was an option) or Clippers. No, he went to the Lakers, the only team of those five which could hurt the Jazz. Who returns a favor by spitting in someone's face? A "Classy" narcissist or Laker fan (same thing).

"Thanks for helping our family Larry. To show my appreciation, I'll go to the Lakers and act wounded when I know I conspired, lied, and spit in your face."

We've never ONCE heard Fisher express gratitude to the franchise or Millers since he left. NOT ONCE. That speaks volumes.

• Someguy
    May 11, 2010 12:37 a.m.

I still don't understand why Jazz fans are chastised for booing Fisher? Look, the organization showed unbelievable class by allowing him out of his contract (name another NBA team to do that - ever!). It was Fisher, not the Jazz, who chose to go to a hated arch rival (29 other options) and his former team only two weeks after being let out of his contract on grounds of finding better medical coverage for his daughter. Jazz fans are understandably suspicious because Fisher was flying back and forth to NY (not CA) to help his daughter while on the Jazz. If he is being honest and made that request with integrity, then he shouldn't regret his decision. But why are Jazz fans precluded from doing what any loyal fan base should - boo the enemy. IT'S A GAME!!!

Booing is not necessarily calling his integrity into question. He chose go to LA and signed up for the consequences of Jazz fans casting him as a villain. I wish Fisher and his family ALL THE BEST - but GO SUNS! Time for Lakers fans to get a reality check and realize booing is part of the game - not life!

• jimbo
    May 11, 2010 12:33 a.m.

@ utahswept
    I agree it is classless to boo anyone or especially to say "they suck" for that reason. However, Derek Fisher could have easily commuted to LA to get the care he felt his child needed. In contrast, the much hated Boozer had his equally ill child with sickle cell anemia treated in Florida yet he stayed with the team and honored his contract. The Fisher case illustrates how it will be difficult for Utah to ever contend for the title again because they can't attract superstar free agents. Fisher took an $8 million pay cut to play in LA.

• Ak Fan
    May 11, 2010 12:30 a.m.

I'm with you Bugoff. Sloan has preset rotation and follows, did not want to change no matter what. Where was AK. Boozer place was in bench. Deron can't handle pressure (He let Fisher go under skin). Millsap too short even plays tough. I pleased to see Fes slowly start playing true center. That hoop was very good. Sloan needs to go leave Jazz alone. He choose Boozer over AK (destroying his career)and failed big time.

• Jazzman72
    May 11, 2010 12:25 a.m.

Nobody thought they would make it out of the first round. Nice season. Hopefully koc will work some magic in the offseason to improve the team.

• Bugoff
    May 11, 2010 12:20 a.m.

The Jazz have to go bigger at PF. Booz is a great talent but he is just over matched by LA. Millsap is younger, cheaper and has more upside. This is the best Booz is ever going to be (at least for the Jazz).

Millsap will still get shot over by Odom/Gasol/Bynum. But if he has a big tall good back up and IF Sloan would play match ups the Jazz could live with Millsap at PF for a year or 2.

The Jazz do need another wing who can shoot and defend. They need an other AK with a better shot.

Gaines shows promise. OJ should develop. I like his play a lot. Mathews will get better fast. However he is a little short and not quite quick enough to guard Kobe. However, the more he plays the better he will get. He did a remarkable job for a rookie.

I have some hope for the Jazz IF the front office will just make the right adjustments.

I think draft a PF in the first round. There are a couple 6'10" SFs in the 2nd round who might help a lot.

Design an LA killer.

• Jesse
    May 11, 2010 12:09 a.m.

Terry: Those two push in the back fouls were legit calls. If he would stop playing lazy D and start moving his feet, some of his fouls would go away.

• Bugoff
    May 11, 2010 12:08 a.m.

CJ has come into his own. He fouled hard, shot well and has a complete game.

Booz had lots of rebounds but did not shoot well. Millsap has a different style. He shot well but could have had more rebounds.

The Jazz can get by with Millsap/AK at PF until they can develop/get the PF of the future. Koufos had limited minutes but played well.

For the Jazz to beat LA they have to have enough size inside. Then the guards do not have to help inside and leave their man open. The help defensive scheme has lost the Jazz a lot of games. The constant compensation by the guards to help inside have gotten the Jazz bombed quite a few times this year. GET a PF who can defend and score.

If the Jazz have enough talent/depth to match up with the contenders and Sloan plays the match ups then they can contend.

The Jazz have to have more talent. Sloan has to use the talent right and play the match ups.

Gentry is a better coach at this point. He is more flexible. The Suns can play gun and 1/2 court.

• Jesse
    May 11, 2010 12:05 a.m.

One other thing missing is another player besides Deron who can create his own or others shots. Maybe moving up for Ohio State's Turner would be an option. Bottom line is that they can't miss on this pick, too much riding on it. If they do we'll be set back a few years.

• Jesse
    May 11, 2010 12:00 a.m.

Now onto the off season

I used to be on the fence but i'm now completely against Booz coming back, even if reasonably priced. If he's not the answer now against the Lakers, will he ever be? He's not getting any better. And I honestly think Milsap has passed him offensively. He's consistently hitting that 18-20 foot jumper and is a better finisher. Way more crafty around the hoop. Give me Paul and AK at the 4, Fes and Kosta (until Okur gets healthy) at 5. Draft an athletic 4/5 with the Knick Pick, key word is athletic. Our front line will be fine, maybe improved. Korver can walk and CJ can stay where he is and hopefully we can add a better wing player to go w/ Mathews, although he can walk if he so chooses. If the right big man doesn't fall to us in draft than maybe go w/ best wing player available. If we have to, use Memphis' pick next year to move up to get a top guy, wing or big man.

• Bugoff
    May 10, 2010 11:57 p.m.

There were some important events in this game. Sloan did go back to Fes after being down big and he stayed with him until he put the closers in (small ball) and went behind more.

I will give Sloan credit for doing a lot with limited resources. I disagree with some of his approaches but he gets paid 5 mill to make them.

The most important thing is Fes established himself as the C of the future for the Jazz tonight. He hit Kobe hard at least twice and also Gasol.

The Jazz for the most part played better with him in. He got 12 rebounds. It was obvious all he needs is playing time. If he had only been developed earlier.

He has a long way to go offensively but that will come with time. He did get 4 points but he played really well. He affected the Laker bigs and made the guards pay when the came into the lane.

The Jazz are 1 big very good PF away from matching up with LA. They can draft 1.

Mathews could not handle Kobe but he will be better next year and did pretty well.

• Jazzman72
    May 10, 2010 11:57 p.m.

• Terry
    May 10, 2010 11:55 p.m.

Sloan is way past retirement age. Whoever the next coach is going to be should have a say in all the off season trade/freer agency decisions to be made this summer, so Sloan needs to sail off into the sunset this year. Sloan is a good coach, but needs to go out with a little grace and style, not in a wheelchair with the fans all calling for change.

P.S. What is the NBA going to do about the biased referee calls for all stars and big market teams get (Kobey & Lakers) even on the road! They are losing more and more fans the more they allow these biased called games to go on! Sometimes you need to win by 20 to win by 1! I don't like Booze much, but boy he got hosed by the refs tonight!

• utahswept
    May 10, 2010 11:34 p.m.

• Love the Game
    May 10, 2010 11:26 p.m.

Jerry just said to Phil Jackson. "I hope you win it all". You have got to be kidding me. They just knocked us out in 4 straight for the 3rd or 4th year in a row and you "hope they win it all".

I don't even know what to say except "pathetic". How about "Congrats" and then move on. There is not one Utah fan who hopes the Lakers win it all. More like anyone but the lakers.

Come on Jerry how old are you?

Nice year by the Jazz. They are still not good enough to beat this team, but most others teams are not either. So we add another 50+ win season and Jazz fans will continue to buy season tickets. So.... Mission accomplished management.

• toddfromsantaana
    May 10, 2010 11:05 p.m.

I called before it happened. Shannon Brown all by himself

sure enough as certain as taxes he gets the ball and drills the 3

unguarded

• toddfromsantaana
    May 10, 2010 11:00 p.m.

Bugoff, great point about Gentry. I was actually thinking about that today. You will get heat for your excellent takes, but accept from me..No one wants to hear the truth..

The Suns -Shaq are basically the SAME TEAM THAT LAST YEAR MISSED THE PLAYOFFS OH AND MINUS MATT BARNES

They say how Sloan develops young players (Fes and Kous no comment)

Meanwhile, the Suns are doing without one possibly tough defender Lopez

It is a team that has had youth develop

The Suns back up point, Admondson and Dudley to just name a few, and look at Frye improvement..

Also, Gentry is positive, youthful and energetic.

It all translates into this miracle team..

• Crowntown
    May 10, 2010 10:13 p.m.

Look at all the open seats! The Lakers have taken the hearts of the fans team etc. HAHAHAH kinda hard to be LOUD when people don't show up.

• Bugoff
    May 10, 2010 9:37 p.m.

Sloanaholics will hate this but the Jazz played well and were ahead when Fes was in. He hit Kobe in the head. He disrupted Gasol, Bynum and Odom. He did a good job of stopping Gasol. He contributed in scoring and rebounded.

Sloan went small ball and the LA bigs went wild. Then the LA guard got going as the Jazz guards tried to help inside.

I have grown weary of it all. Sloan cares more about his rotations than winning. I am really tried of it.

Fes has a long way to go but this is pathetic. If it is going well then stay with it.

Booz is just to short. I am grateful for all he has done but the Jazz front line is just to short. There has to be changes.

However, as long as Sloan insists on his predictable rotations the Jazz will not win.

Compare Gentry's coaching with Sloan's.

The Jazz will never change.

• Shaun
    May 10, 2010 9:35 p.m.

I am so disgusted with the Jazz. Getting blown out on their home court by 16 points in the second quarter.

Sloan needs to go and the management either needs to bring players in who have heart and pride or they need to get out of the basketball business.

Go Suns!