University of Utah seniors say goodbye with vulgar send off in the Chronicle

• benchwarmer
    May 10, 2010 11:48 a.m.

You know what? They PAID for hese educations! This is a prime example of youthful nonsense - nothing more! "Ooooh look! We can write dirty words in code..." They didn't embezzle, they didn't encourage drilling rigs not to put in safety switches, they didn't have extra-marital affairs while masquerading as upstanding elected officials...

Now where do you suppose they are getting their ideas? For the U to impose an artificially interpreted "code of behaviour" and restrict their PAID FOR educational records is the height of hypocrisy. Give them a public verbal spanking if you want U or pay them back their money and send them on their way. It is grossly unfair to make a big stink about this unless the U is going to publicly decry all of the other moral faux pas of the world out there too.

• Lone Ranger
    May 8, 2010 11:08 a.m.

Of course the U uses vulgarisms in their communications. This is what makes them unique from BYU, their alter ego and arch enemy. This type of filth is sometimes accepted at this institution of lower learning in order to make a definite and distinct impression from a perspective totally opposite, as an overreaction, from the Cougars.

This is much similar to the orgiastic frenzy the University of Wyoming once discharged when playing home games against the Cougars. That is until the University administration wisely stopped allowing the use of intoxicants at athletic functions.

I once saw a group of university academicians at a Utah function back in ’75. The participants were all well groomed and excellent examples of those they represented. That is with the exception of the one guy with a red jacket with a U on the front. The U guy looked like he’s slept in a garbage can and, shall we say, did not reflect social charm. This is what makes the U unique.

My mommy would spank me for using such vulgarities, especially where nice folks are present….which, evidently, excludes many of those at the U.

Go Aggies….Hi-O Silver!

• eagle
    May 7, 2010 7:49 p.m.

They have simply given us another example why print journalism is dying. These individuals have disgraced not only themselves and the school but a profession that used to be honorable and important to preserving our nation's freedoms.

• Big Hapa
    May 7, 2010 2:50 p.m.

Re. Ace thanks for the History lesson you spelled it all out so perfectly. God Bless you.

• Big Hapa
    May 7, 2010 2:39 p.m.

Come on people this is the U fo U Yes, the U of U!! What do you expect ! The standard here is NO standard, anything goes up on the hill. As a "87" U of U grad I am not surprised at what the chronicale prints, this is simply every day thought on campus. If you want BYU standards then send your kids to BYU and let the U Of U do that thing they do. State Higher Education you gotta love it baby.

• MrsH
    May 7, 2010 2:02 p.m.

These were graduating seniors???? From college????

My son is in 8th grade, and I'm pretty sure even he knows better than to pull a stunt like that.

They need to grow up. It's time.

• BP
    May 7, 2010 1:54 p.m.

I don't know why it was so hard to think up a nine letter word:

After Max Hall's explosion earlier this year, it would have been a great way to give a shout out that this group of outgoing seniors can identify with.

It's kinda weird to read BYU fans dog on a "Code," while Utah fans get all preachy and moralistic about the virtues of their university. Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

• DHinChas
    May 7, 2010 1:48 p.m.

Reading (most of) the comments from those promoting a 'BYU is superior' attitude or suggesting that 'Utah is classless' is such a reminder of why it was I was SO glad to get out of Provo and transfer to the U where I completed my first two degrees.

Once you have actually lived in Provo and attended BYU (and have some degree of respect for and interest in diversity and an open, caring mind), you will see overall arrogance and a 'holier than thou persona' that is unbelievable.

Every university has their share of people who make mistakes and are still learning and growing. Being a sophomore or graduating senior doesn't change that fact. BYU and Utah are wonderful schools with some similarities and tremendous differences, ones often made glaringly obvious by the close proximity of campuses, the same media giving coverage of each, and a whole lot of people who financially support each (whether through taxes or tithing dollars).

Despite incidents like this, I am SOOO very glad to have The University of Utah and not BYU printed upon my degrees...

• DBA
    May 7, 2010 1:34 p.m.

For everyone saying this vindicates Max Hall, it doesn't.

Max Hall didn't say some U students are classless (which is true), he said they all are (which is ignorant and wrong). Max Hall is still a loser, just like these Chronicle staff members.

• kreese
    May 7, 2010 1:20 p.m.

It was a silly thing to do, but when it comes to the main stream media, it fits! Look at it this way, she has a future with the Tribune.

• American Citizen
    May 7, 2010 1:10 p.m.

What a hoot!
    An administration that can't take a creative joke has just painted a very round and very large target on their own backside for future students.

• PistolPete
    May 7, 2010 1:07 p.m.

SoCalYewt has been peddling his "my daughter lives with druggies at BYU" story for months now. #1 I don't believe it...considering the source and 2, if his concocted story were true and his precious "daughter" would have gone to authorities (police and school) on day one it wouldn't still be true today. Finally, any man that would knowingly let his "daughter" continue to live in such a situation, at BYU or anywhere else...assuming it were true...isn't worth a pinch of salt anyway.

So, SoCalYewt, give up the "my daughter lives with druggies at BYU" hogwash you keep pushing in here in your failed attempt to paint BYU as a bad institution. Or, give us some names, apartment complexes, etc. or other verifiable facts to back up your silly story. But you should hurry. It will soon be a year you've been telling us your "daughter" lives with druggies at BYU.

• The Whirling Zombie
    May 7, 2010 12:49 p.m.

To Anne26:

I am sorry that you are embarrassed by "BYU fans" that have commented on this story. If I were you, I'd be much more embarrassed by sophomoric stuff being published by the University of Utah.

But I do agree with you on one thing--kudos to the Utah administrators for taking a stand.

• Anne26
    May 7, 2010 12:40 p.m.

Wherever Max Hall is right now, I doubt he is even worried about this article. He has to use all his energies to convince the Cardinals to take a chance on him.

I'm embarrassed by the BYU fans who come on these posts to smear the U of U. You give the church and the school a bad name.

Kudos to the University of Utah administrators for taking a stand on this.

• Liberal Ted
    May 7, 2010 12:39 p.m.

Holding on their degrees and not letting them graduate, won't hurt them. Since all liberal papers are failing and firing people. It's better for these children to start school all over and grow up.

• CG
    May 7, 2010 12:36 p.m.

Their mothers must be so proud.

• The Whirling Zombie
    May 7, 2010 12:24 p.m.

Seriously, folks. Do Utah students find this stuff funny? We know their editorial staff does (I guess). I laughed at this stuff when I was in the 7th grade. By my sophomore year in high school I would have rolled my eyes. By the time I graduated from college I was way beyond this.

This from our state's flagship school? Brilliant. My tax dollars at work, producing intellectuals who still giggle at bathroom words. I'm sure employers are beating down the doors of these highly-touted journalists.

• The Whirling Zombie
    May 7, 2010 12:07 p.m.

Somewhere, Max Hall is reading this story and smiling.

• cval1
    May 7, 2010 12:06 p.m.

In the real world, people are accountable for the good and stupid things they do. They can't be jailed for what they write, but they can be fired. Working for a particular employer, or as a student write for the school paper is not a protected right, it is a privilege.

The U is right on on this issue,and I congratulate them for standing up.

• Uncle Rico
    May 7, 2010 11:46 a.m.

Jenna1218: Isn't college to prepare kids for the real world?

• Digbads
    May 7, 2010 11:24 a.m.

When I was at the U, some referred to the newspaper as "The Chronie" but most of us referred to it as "The Crummy".

8th grade journalism--this type of stuff would be nothing new to the paper.

• Swimmer
    May 7, 2010 11:06 a.m.

So these “journalists” felt compelled to print vulgarities in the name of “freedom of the press.”
    I can just imagine how honored the hundreds of thousands of men and women who have paid the ultimate price for our nation must feel to have preserved their “right” to print meaningless vulgarities. Whether they meant to or not they clearly demonstrated the lowness of their character and the smallness of their intellect. I am sure the great publications of the nation are lining up to hire them.

The U should honor them as well with their names inscribed in a stone pillar along with the vulgarities they felt compelled to print. The pillar should be prominently displayed on campus for all to see and venerate in future generations. I am sure these “journalists” will be proud to return to the U as the years go by and see their name and their words on display. What a tribute to the “freedom of the press?"

Fisher should likewise be honored for defending "their right" under the pretense of the "freedom of the press" to engage in such a ridiculous act.

• Swimmer
    May 7, 2010 11:02 a.m.

These twerps are hiding behind their “right” under the “freedom of the press” to say anything they want. Did they even bother to read the history behind that amendment? Do they even know which amendment gave them that “right”? As originally intended that “right” came about because the founding fathers felt that the need to publish the TRUTH was an essential right to preserve democracy. It was a way to keep government in line. Keeping the public informed was considered essential to the democratic process.

• MDM
    May 7, 2010 10:58 a.m.

Anyone student saying their rights are violated should check out the code of ethics by the Society of Professional Journalists. Part of it states journalists should show good taste and be accountable for what they write. They also need to brush up their knowledge of AP style--they have guidelines about vulgarity (and about not including it). It looks like these students need to understand the real life and responsibilities of a journalist before they enter the real world.

• praxis
    May 7, 2010 10:54 a.m.

defibman: "Hey SoCalUte, your daughter really is a student at BYU? and you couldn't convince her to go to same school that you attended?"

Maybe SoCalUte's daughter was more interested in attending a school where she believed her morals and ideals would be supported by the other students.

Maybe, she was more interested in getting that "Mrs. Degree" with someone of her own religious faith... who knows!

His daughter is an individual and can make her own choices. Just as the students at the U made the choice to print what they did.

The biggest lesson they are all learning is that actions/choices have consequences and it is best to weigh those consequences when choosing a course of action.

• P
    May 7, 2010 10:20 a.m.

JUDGEMENT is supposed to be one of the things you gain at college and employeers look for that trait. Businesses sometimes even if untrue get saddled with a rap for poor judgement because of actions of certain individuals in the firm.

While it is not against the law to cuss your boss, it may be the mark of poor judgement and may haunt you for many years. Unfortunately many of remember the "bad" things we did rather than the "good" things. What do they say, it takes a dozen at-a-boys's to do away with one "ah shucks."

I think it was bad judgement but now it has spread all over the media and the internet taking (and unfairly I think) the name of a great school with it and associating other students with poor judgements.

Even in business sometimes a firm will get blamed for poor judgement, when it may have been only one individual. I know of one research contract that went that way.

We always need to think of how others might react before we act, then there is freedom of the press and freedom of speech which says it isn't against the law.

• scott
    May 7, 2010 10:16 a.m.

"oh, but he's doing it too"

typical response from kids when they're caught doing something they know they shouldn't be doing

what's sad is the "adults" on this blog who are using the same excuse to justify what every knows was a stupid, childish stunt

4 years of college education and these kids are still acting like they're in grade school

the University of Utah should be justifiably ashamed that it is being represented in the public eye in this manner

Utah Alum

• jenna1218
    May 7, 2010 10:13 a.m.

Thank you goodDr., for your assessment. I suppose my only wish is that people wouldn't freak out over this truly harmless senior prank. Things become a big deal when we make them into a big deal. The more people express embarrassment and feel scandalized, the more 'lewd' the prank becomes. Can't we just say, "oh those crazy college kids, i'm glad they got their kicks before heading out into the real world- and thankfully they used the anatomically correct term", and move on? I stand by what I said earlier-- it was a pretty funny thing to do. Call me immature if you want.
    p.s. Anyone who's seen '500 Days of Summer' needs to spend a few minutes yelling the word that Summer did sitting in the park...it might loosen you up a bit.

• MoJules
    May 7, 2010 9:59 a.m.

SoCalUte, I hate to say this, but I think that your daughter was more at fault, she knew the rules and she didn't have the courage to report this. I believe that many times when people are out of control in their behavior, that it is the responsibility of those who are in control to take the mature step of either reporting it or getting that person help. Would a parent condone a child at home doing drugs? As for the U and their childish behavior, and I assume they are fairly young, can I say STUPID. Googled the word stupid, here it is.
    1. Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
    2. Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
    3. Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.

This also could be considered sexual harassment to those who trusted in this paper and do not appreciate what was done, be it either gender.

• RBN
    May 7, 2010 9:34 a.m.

Hey self-righteous BYU folks, which is worse? Write the body part in a column or use it outside the bounds of marriage? So, why you casting the first stone?

• Emjay
    May 7, 2010 9:32 a.m.

Dear Andrewute1: Harvey Unga was HONEST enough and MAN enough to come forward and admit that he had made some mistakes. None of us is perfect, but Harvey exhibited true honor by admitting he had done something wrong.

• Thomas Jefferson
    May 7, 2010 9:32 a.m.

I thought it was funny. I guess many of you just dont have a sense of humor, but I already knew that.

• Cats
    May 7, 2010 9:28 a.m.

Seriously, this is typical Chronie behavior. It has been going on for many years. Something similar happened when I was at the U. Only at that time it involved religious bigotry. Can you guess which religion they were sliming?

The Chronie has taken itself way too seriously for way too long as the "underground newspaper of Utah." In fact, it's just a bunch of really immature children that think they are smarter than everyone else. It's pathetic.

BTW, I transferred to and graduated from BYU. It was like coming out of the darkness and into the light.

• Robert
    May 7, 2010 9:21 a.m.

Payday to Max Hall -- what an appropriate way for U of U grads to conclude their careers!

• UtahFan
    May 7, 2010 9:20 a.m.

These students who did this need to apologize to the university. This is uncalled for, unprofessional, and childish.

BYU fans: once again, you paint with a very broad brush, and you accuse the WHOLE university of something that only a few people did. You could have agreed with us Utah fans who put the blame on only the individuals who did this. I know of numerous accounts of BYU students doing classless behavior - I wouldn't stoop so low as to squash the whole BYU campus for a few person's bad behavior. I still admire BYU, even though I myself was once the victim of some classless behavior by a BYU supporter at one time.

• goodDr.
    May 7, 2010 9:12 a.m.

jenna1218-if all body parts are equal, why is it that you have to cover certain parts in order to avoid lewdness citations? Thinking that all body parts are the exact same just points to your naivete.

• Naval Vet
    May 7, 2010 9:08 a.m.

Judging by the amount of censorship currently in play on THIS thread, it would look as if the Deseret News moderators DIDN'T cut their teeth at the University of Utah's Daily Chronicle.

While a lot of people fought and died for this country to ensure, among other things, the right to free speech and expression for everyone, there are still those among us who are fighting to ensure that there isn't. Those are they who are the bigger threat than ones who in print, make subtle references to people's genitalia.
    Uh...can we say "genitalia" on this thread without being censored???

You never know...

• andrewute1
    May 7, 2010 9:06 a.m.

I like how byu fans are making a huge deal about this when they should be worried about who will be playing runningback next year because he didnt do anything wrong either. He is a model byu student.

• Solomon Levi
    May 7, 2010 8:59 a.m.

What an embarrassment to a great university!

This is what happens when juvenile students are left to their own devices with no accountability.

The University of Utah is solely responsible for allowing this to happen. The U provides the budget (student fees) and facilities for printing and distribution of the Chronicle.

Unless the Chronicle is placed back under editorial control by the U with a full-time faculty editor in chief and specific restrictions and accountability for unacceptable content, all student fees and facilities used to support the Chronicle should be cut off.

If the student editors at the Chronicle want to behave like children, they should be treated like children.

• The Rock
    May 7, 2010 8:54 a.m.

Confirms everything I ever thought about the U.

If your child knows of immoral behavior and honor code violations at BYU they should report this to their Bishop. Their ecclesiastical endorsement will be removed if substantiated and they will be out of the University.

I have a daughter who had to be moved out of her dorm for her own safety because of a vile room mate. BYU had to go through a specific process to get rid of the offending student for legal reasons.

No, BYU students are not perfect. They do at least have an honor code. The vast majority of BYU students obey the rules and are there because of the rules, not in spite of them.

Vile behavior has consequences. Those who engage in this behavior should suffer those natural consequences or they will not learn from those experiences. There is also repentance and forgiveness.

Years ago a BYU football player cold cocked a bias official and lost his chance to ever play in the NFL. A single act can be very costly.

PS: If more football officials were punch out for bad calls, there would be fewer bad calls. (still not right).

• Uncle Rico
    May 7, 2010 8:52 a.m.

Pagan: Obviously the word decency escapes you. Ya, I thought so.

• Uncle Rico
    May 7, 2010 8:47 a.m.

I would expect nothing less from students at the U. Hansen may find her statement an obstacle when interviewing for a job. Time to grow up kids.

• Chris B
    May 7, 2010 8:45 a.m.

No, no one said what they did was against the law.

Just classless.

By your weak argument no one should complain if I publish material that is racist right? You would surely not do that right? Hilarious

• lchris
    May 7, 2010 8:31 a.m.

This is a big deal! A few so called writers have sullied the reputation of a great University and thousands who call it their University. Shame on them for being vulgar and for not being able to write a final column without showing their ignorance and lack of regard for anyone else. And lest anyone wonder, I am a BYU grad and fan, but the U is part of my home state and I'm proud to call it mine as well--well, except for the few who choose to muddy up the waters.

• Pagan
    May 7, 2010 8:29 a.m.

Wow. Freedom of the press apparently means only what you think is appropriate?

• FormerUtahn
    May 7, 2010 7:54 a.m.

This is so sad to read about. I personally don't think it reflects the excellent character of the University of Utah or its students. However, it is poor journalism and demonstrates problems that should be evaluated in the Chronicle's editorial process. I hope it is a catalyst for changes that will lead to a brighter future for the paper.

I don't subscribe to the notion that the paper is 'independent'. If I read the article correctly, student fees are used to cover production costs and the printing facility is located on campus. It may not be controlled by the university, but it has an implied connection.

• jenna1218
    May 7, 2010 7:30 a.m.

Well, I secretly think it's kind of hilarious...And seriously, who cares? It's not like young children are reading this paper-- and even if they are...it's a body part. People need to calm down. I hate that if they had spelled "brain" or "thigh" or "mouth" no one would have noticed....why can't we treat all body parts as equal??

• Hutterite
    May 7, 2010 7:15 a.m.

University students pulled a vulgar joke. Big deal.

• the world
    May 7, 2010 7:01 a.m.

• Enough is enough!
    May 7, 2010 5:43 a.m.

Emily said, "I just hope this doesn't negatively impact any of their job prospects." Are you kidding?!
    It absolutely SHOULD have a negative impact! I hope the U pulls their diplomas, too.

"Laurels" post above says it the best. These kids crossed the line.

• My2Cents
    May 7, 2010 5:16 a.m.

Haven't read the article and I don't care about it. But freedom of the press has responsibilities, even at the post graduate level of the news media. What this shows is how little respect there is in education and the press. As for language, have you college kids listened to yourselves talk in public or at home? Have these so called educated minds understood how terrible it sounds to their parents? All graduates seem to know are single syllable words and can't spell them right, even with spell checker PC programs.

It's all about respect or lack of it that's permeated the younger generations, not just in Utah but nationally.

As for media careers, they have to relearn freedom of the press is not alive anymore. It's constricted by laws and being politically correct. That is at the approval of local government demands that the press refrain from printing the truth if its derogatory to an incumbent or political party. We have freedom of the press in Utah as long as the Republican party approves it.

• Laurels
    May 7, 2010 12:41 a.m.

A portion of the mandatory students fees that I pay go to support the student newspaper. I'm not allowed to cancel my subscription.

When Ms. Hanson was selected to be the chief editor of the student newspaper, she understood that her job entailed a certain level of professionalism. She and her staff crossed the line when they opted for such a high level of vulgarity for their joke.

Freedom of the press as applied to student newspapers does not mean freedom to ignore any and all rules of decorum. Ms. Hanson was endowed with a certain level of trust when appointed chief of the paper. It is unfortunate that she and her staff, in spite of advice from their faculty advisor, opted to display such a lack of good taste and common sense.

As such, in my opinion, she and her staff did not have authorization to use the university resources as they did. Shame on them. They abused the trust they were given. The University as well as a large portion of the students disavow their actions!

• The NIT
    May 6, 2010 11:39 p.m.

Stupid - as a two time graduate of the University of Utah, I have to find this act childish and stupid.

• eagle
    May 6, 2010 11:33 p.m.

You think these boneheads at a university supported by my tax dollars would have more respect for a profession that once had a vital role in our society and country's history, but is dying a not so slow but painful death, partially because of the incompetence of the people in it.

• CheColBar
    May 6, 2010 11:15 p.m.

Just when you think the U can't get any lower...

• Ace
    May 6, 2010 11:08 p.m.

I love it when young journalists prove their immaturity just before graduation, and then wax philosophical about "defending" the freedom of the press. Thousands have died to defend that freedom. I doubt they had your stunt in mind at the time. So sad that so many have given so much to defend the power and freedom of the press, and you return the favor by showing how undeserving you are of their sacrifice.

• DC
    May 6, 2010 10:19 p.m.

Classless, classless. Call us what you want Ute fans, but the more you do, the more you prove Maxie right.

• Samuel Adams
    May 6, 2010 9:53 p.m.

Why are some Utes working so hard to validate everything Max Hall said? Very nice Utes!

Go Aggies!

• Emily
    May 6, 2010 9:48 p.m.

The difference between The Chronicle and some other student papers is that Jim Fisher is truly only there to advise. Nothing has to be approved by him or anyone else to get printed. And as Jim said, sometimes this allows the students to act like idiots. And that's as it should be. I just hope this doesn't negatively impact any of their job prospects.

• defibman
    May 6, 2010 9:06 p.m.

Hey SoCalUte, your daughter really is a student at BYU? and you couldn't convince her to go to same school that you attended? Wow! I can just imagine the conversations when she called home. Even after leaning about some of the students at the Y, she still did not transfer to that wonderful school that sits so high on the hill.

• BirdmanKen
    May 6, 2010 8:55 p.m.

Wow, someone else has a code of conduct? How puritanical and utterly ridiculous....

Hoosier Cougar

• Ricardo Carvalho
    May 6, 2010 8:40 p.m.

So, the students mismanage t the tune of $70,000 and print material that is offensive to the majority of stakeholders. I wonder if they realize the implications of their actions on next years' budget? Isn't it amazing how a 4 year education can result in a graduate (maybe) with little understanding of the consequences of actions or the definition of anti-social behavior?

• SD Blue
    May 6, 2010 8:03 p.m.

Get off your soap box Jimmy, it doesn't fit you well.

• Me, Myself and I
    May 6, 2010 7:42 p.m.

Wow what’s all the racket about? Disney has done similar and worse things in their children’s cartoons and artwork over the years. Yet millions of children are still propped in front of Disney movies every year without a thought given. Tasteless and ill-advised yes, but until you stop watching Disney movies maybe you shouldn’t get so worked up about this prank.

• Jimmy James
    May 6, 2010 7:35 p.m.

I'm a Ute Grad, and I do have to admit that the senior staff at the Chronicle made a really bad choice on this one. How could they not expect push back from this, even after they had been warned? It was a stupid move, plain and simple.

However, what I think is kind of funny is that this is finally what gets the chronicle really in trouble. They've published a lot worse stuff in the past that didn't even get a second glance as to my knowledge. (But that's not to say there wasn't some really worthwhile stuff in the past too, it was always an interesting read.)

Hopefully the U can use this as a learning lesson and make things better in the future. Here's to hoping the chronicle has a bright future.

PS: To the supposed BYU fans posting on here, self righteousness is no better than unrighteousness. The real BYU fans I know are humble good people. So do yourself a favor, stop posting comments that tarnish your schools reputation.

• moabite98
    May 6, 2010 7:03 p.m.

At first I thought this was a "hidden" message that hardly anyone would notice, but then I saw a picture of the newspaper page in question and the first letters are considerably bigger than the rest of the test, and it is positioned straight across the page so as to make it more obvious. Someone casting even a casual glance at the page would probably see it. That said, the "male" page actually uses the anatomic term, rather than a profane or vulgar term. Haven't seen the "female" page yet, but I suppose it was in fact more vulgar. Even so, it appears to be little more than a childish and immature stunt.

• Maverick Blue
    May 6, 2010 6:47 p.m.

Re: SoCalUte: No, the u is terrible. People are fallible, even at BYU so maybe you shouldn't be so ignorant in your judgement that BYU doesn't have people who manipulate. That is on them. Maybe you should look up the word "honor" it may surprise you about the definition.

• 93 COUGAR
    May 6, 2010 6:44 p.m.

Who knew this kind of stuff went on there?

Of course now we have the yewt defenders like SoCal trying to turn it to something against BYU.

FACT, this happened at utah not BYU.

Are you seriously trying to defend this by saying your daughter had a roommate that used drugs?

• Cougarfan
    May 6, 2010 6:38 p.m.

clearly a utilization of improper words and only goes to reflect very poorly on the University, not to mention these respresentatives of U of U. Glad I don't have any tax dollars going that "university"...?

• SoCalUte
    May 6, 2010 6:33 p.m.

Zoobies, remember, when you point your finger at someone, you always have three fingers pointing back at you. FACT, my daughter is a student at YBU. She never in her life had to deal with someone who was using drugs UNTIL she had a BYU roommate who is still using drugs and is still a student there. My neighbor transferred back to SoCal because his BYU roommates had the worst language he had ever heard and one of them was violating the moral conduct code. So be careful about you general statements about how bad the U is.

• cynic
    May 6, 2010 6:25 p.m.

Probably not grounds for not letting them graduate, but it is strong reinforcement of old, tired stereotypes. Brilliant.

• Lifelong Republican
    May 6, 2010 6:19 p.m.

I think Max Hall was correct.

The utah fans keep proving him to be right again and again.

I can think of nothing more classless than using vulgar words to describe a woman or her body parts.

• azresident