Poll shows Utahns favor Utah version of Arizona immigration law

• Christy
    May 4, 2010 6:37 p.m.

A_Utah_Minuteman | 11:27 a.m. May 4, 2010

My only concern is, after this legislation has beena round awhile, people will say that only Mexicans are being focused on and not others. As a result, National ID will take effect for all of us. The National ID is unconstitutional, despite the intention. This is the problem as far as this new law is concerned. If this law can be enforced without breaking the rule of law, then great. However, if it cannot, then we as Americans have a law that destroys us as well as the illegals. If illegals are dealt with, but Americans not suffer for it, this would be best.

It's ok for the illegal immigrants to be hassled, and everyone who looks like them, but not 'Americans'.

You just nailed why it's unconstitutional. Thanks MM.

• Christy
    May 4, 2010 6:26 p.m.

Pete in Texas | 6:33 a.m. May 3, 2010

No, I didn't say they already pay taxes (save for sales tax). I said that immigrants who pass a criminal background check, and who want to live here, work here, should be legally hired and have state and federal taxes taken out of their checks. They should have the opportunity to enroll in the company's health care benefits program. This way, they would be contributing into the system like the rest of us. This way they'd be paying for their health care like the rest of us do.

They stay and changes happen. Or they stay and things remain the same. You choose.

• Christy
    May 4, 2010 6:11 p.m.

John Adams | 5:37 a.m. May 3, 2010
    Christy @ 7:49...

You never answered Pete's question. What would you do if someone broke into your house? Exercise the law against breaking and entering, or call the police?

Which would it be?

Yes, I would call the cops if someone broke into my house. I own my house. I don't own the country, and neither do you. So, stop with the scenario that people who just want a better life for their family are breaking in to do harm. Stop equating them with burglars and thieves.

• RR
    May 4, 2010 3:37 p.m.

People still don't think.

What does "illegal" mean? What part of that don't people understand? If we do nothing about, how many more people will come here thinking they can do whatever they want? Here's to Utah, NV, CA, NM, and TX all passing such a bill. Get it in control before they start to control us!

• A_Utah_Minuteman
    May 4, 2010 11:27 a.m.

The truth of the matter is simple; Keeping illegals out is a good thing, deporting them is a good thing.

• Mike
    May 3, 2010 11:48 p.m.

Anyone who says this law is unconstitutional has not read or needs to carefully study the United States Constitution again.

What in our Constitution permits someone to come to this country and defy the laws of 42 states requiring someone to have proper identification of their legal right to be here?

What in our Constitution permits a police officer to just pull someone out of a crowd and arrest them on the spot because they are Hispanic or European?

What in our Constitution permits anyone to come here illegally and commit crimes here and then expect to be treated with the same rights as natural-born or naturalized citizens who commit crimes are?

What in our Constitution makes you a racist if you just want the borders secure and the law enforced?

What in our Constitution allows our federal government to neglect this issue and then sue a state for cleaning up the mess the feds made?

What in our Constitution permits our economic conditions to be handicapped by grossly low wages promoted by unethical employers exploiting cheap labor from Mexico and other countries?

Nothing does. I am not a racist or a bigot.

I want the law enforced.

• Screwdriver
    May 3, 2010 4:15 p.m.

TCnewsie that is the most profound statement yet on the subject.

I'm allready suffering here in AZ. The teens here don't do well with my hamburger orders and my favorite azmex place went out of business a year ago becuase there are actully less mexican nationals here than ever.

Now that doen't stop the non-fact based republicans from shouting the sky is falling..... but what about the food? Luckily Cinco de Mayo is comming up. Arriba!

• TCnewsie
    May 3, 2010 3:34 p.m.

If all the illegal Mexicans get deported, will I still be able to get Mexican food 24 hours a day? That is all I am concerned about ha ha.

• Kimber
    May 3, 2010 11:47 a.m.

We need Comprehensive Immigration Reform...not states making their own rules on it and people going to different states wondering what is going on there. We need to be the United States on certain important issues as this. Of course states are going to have some differences, but not on such an important issue as this!

• Pete in Texas
    May 3, 2010 6:33 a.m.

Christy, I agree that there needs to be better immigration laws. America truly the land of opportunity. These illegals know it, that's why they come here. However, you're making generalized statements by believing they all work really hard. I know there are those that do as well as those that don't simply because I work construction and I see them on my job everyday. My major concern here is that they're illegal. They take our money while keeping their allegiances with Mexico. They could care less about our country or it's economic situation, except where it affects their jobs.

You keep saying they pay taxes so they ought to receive health insurance. Answer me this.... how CAN they pay taxes? They don't have a legal social security number! SINCE they don't, why should they receive health insurance? They are having babies here, paid for by OUR money, getting health care, paid for by OUR money, and not paying into the system themselves. I am a compassionate guy, but I don't have a big enough bank account to keep this up. I'm glad you do. Mind paying MY share? I'm broke.

• John Adams
    May 3, 2010 5:37 a.m.

Christy @ 7:49...

Which would it be?

• Screwdriver
    May 3, 2010 5:03 a.m.

Home invasion...

More like you hired a guy to clean your house, walk the dog, cut the lawn, take care of the kids and then after doing all that your wife comes home and starts screamng, "Get him out!, Get him out! He broke in and won't leave! Police!"

Yes, you who support deporting them are the wife and the man of the house in in fact "the man" who hired the foreigner and asked him if he knew anybody else that needed a job.

Your hypocracy and ability to be scared is legendary. Well done, well done....

• Christy
    May 2, 2010 7:49 p.m.

Hey Pete, I was just calling you on your biased scenario of having someone (Mexican) break into your house and out of the good of your heart you let them stay and they steal and take advantage of you. You said all that.

I reminded you that those people you speak of work really hard. They don't just live off you and steal your money.

And no, I think they should be paid what everyone else is paid. They work just as hard. They want what's best for their families, just as you and I do. We need to have better immigration laws so that good, hard working people can be naturalized and then pay federal and state income taxes on their wages. As hard as they work, why shouldn't they be able to contribute via taxes, and receive health insurance? Wouldn't this lower our insurance premiums because they wouldn't be forced to go to the ER when their child has a fever?

• Pete in Texas
    May 2, 2010 6:34 p.m.

So Christy, you're telling me it's fine with you since they're doing it for less than everyone else is offering to do it for? Am I to assume then that you don't care about what's right and wrong, all you care about is that you're paying them "pennies on the dollar"? I guess my values aren't up for sale quite as cheaply as yours are. To me, right and wrong aren't equated by how cheaply they can be purchased for. I guess I'm old fashioned. What can I say? Unfortunately, they're telling you they're doing it cheaper than the rest BUT they're not paying legal taxes, (that you and I are making up for), not paying health costs when a family member gets hurt, (that you and I are making up for), and causing everything to be reprinted in Spanish and reiterated on the phone in Spanish, (at a cost that you and I are making up for). Still think you're getting that "cheap" of a deal? Because while they've convinced you that you're getting a deal, your decision is costing ME money as well.

• LDS Liberal
    May 2, 2010 6:05 p.m.

Screwdriver | 3:22 p.m.

Well said!

Cut and pasted,

• Pagan
    May 2, 2010 5:02 p.m.

'What we are witnessing in this nation is a change to the foundation of how this country was intended to be...'

Few points about this comment.

1) No one knows how this country was intended to be. That is why the constitution has amendments.
    2) This country was built on the expulsion of Native Americans.
    3) Based on the knowledge that, unless you are 100% Native American, you cannot call yourself native, please tell me again about the problems of immigration.

The law is biased, as AZ's own Gov. cannot tell you what an 'illegal' looks like.
    With no more information given to local police, this law is rife with abuse potential.
    As the law is not clear, I cannot see how it was passed.
    Only the 'silent majority', those who look in the mirror and think the rest of the country should look like them, would try to justify acts of racisim.

• OlpuebloguyInWyo
    May 2, 2010 3:53 p.m.

The silent majority in every state want this to be done in every state. Some will remain silent because they afraid to say so in public for fear of being called racist, or something else they are not. Most Americans understand that a law has been broken and must be enforced by someone. It is not that they do not want any people of any foreign nation to be here...they just want them to be here legally. Does it effect families? Of course it does but those people who came here illegally should have thought about before coming here. What we are witnessing in this nation is a change to the foundation of how this country was intended to be, and be for a long time. Societal changes do not warrant changes in the constitution. But, what I do know is that there will be a large, united international group of moral men who will save this nation and it's constitution when it is about to fall. Then there will be one government with one clear leader. So, in all this mess beyond immigration, be patient and continue to do what is right.

• Screwdriver
    May 2, 2010 3:22 p.m.

This is easy. If you are really out of work becuase an illegal "stole" you job, go take the job.

If you allready have a job then go take the job away from an illegal anyway. What better protest than one you get paid for?

Any takers? Somehow I don't think so. And if you are a republican on unemployment, get of your rump and take the illegals job and stop being a hypocrite. The market says work all day for $7 an hour and no benefits. Why don't you listen to the market? The FREE Market is always correct. The Market, the market listen to the market!

• Christy
    May 2, 2010 2:25 p.m.

One thing you left out of your scenario -- the fact that your guest is fixing your meals, doing the dishes, cleaning your house, doing your laundry, mowing your lawn, harvesting your garden, painting your house, fixing your fence, washing your boat, changing the oil in your car... all for pennies on the dollar.

• LDS Liberal
    May 1, 2010 1:27 p.m.

Say No to BO | 8:00 a.m. May 1, 2010
    LDS Liberal.
    So....you find "Christian behavior" in the Democratic Party?
    Or are you otherwise affiliated?

I'm 100% Independant.

Actually I'm not a member of ANY political party.

I try to find the truth for myself.

Not to sound sacrilegious but;
    In my heart and in my mind,
    I feel that I should join none of them.

...their creeds were an abomination in my sight; that those politicians were all corrupt; that: "they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me,"

If it was good enough advise for a 14 year old boy asking a SIMILAR question (about which sect to join).

It’s a good enough answer to for me - a 49 year old man.

But - I think the Democrats are more correct in ideology and party platform,
    whil having more integrity than the GOP.

Personally -- I lean Libertarian, that's why I'm a "Liberal".

• Say No to BO
    May 1, 2010 8:00 a.m.

LDS Liberal.
    So....you find "Christian behavior" in the Democratic Party?
    Or are you otherwise affiliated?

• Pete in Texas
    May 1, 2010 6:44 a.m.

Okay... one last shot. Time to get personal.

Let's break this down very simply. I'm betting everyone has locks on their doors at home. Why? To keep out everyone they haven't invited in. If someone snuck in and started living in it because they were needy and didn't speak your language, your Christian attitude might let them stay for a while, maybe forever. What about if they started taking a couple of dollars a week out of your bank account? You've asked them nicely not to, and encouraged them to speak your language, but they cry to you and tell you that this is only temporary, to just hang tough and it won't be forever (through an interpreter). Okay, now your generosity makes them tell another person who is needy to come on in because you're so kind. And then another, and another. Where does it stop? How is this situation any different than America and our borders? It's easy to say "let them stay" when you can't understand they ARE in your homes and taking money from you. How long will you put up with it? When is enough enough?

• chanchoboy
    April 30, 2010 7:57 p.m.

oh and by the way... since when does Utah support something when only 406 people where polled? It is a very small sample size with a large margin of error. If you took those same 406 people and asked them if they had been directly impacted..ie lost a job to an illegal, lost a love one to an illegal, lost a house, car, money to an illegal what would be the result? Very small I am sure...

• chanchoboy
    April 30, 2010 7:51 p.m.

There are many ways to look at an issue, you can justify either side of it. There are problems with the arizona law
    1. It creates an enviroment in this country where people can not feel free to move from place to place. As people have said they had to carry papers when in other countries. Note they are other places. To make the law just all people will have to have their ID's checked legal or illegal(as in other countries). How will you feel when you are asked for your papers? Will you feel safe in your own country from police harassment? How about the day you forget to carry your birth certificate.

2. As we see in the comments here it further fuels an air of contemption and anger towards a group of people. People will justifiy their feelings of hostility toward these people by a law passed against them. It does nothing to resolve the issues, all feelings of empathy is lost and our humanity is diminished.

This country has always looked at immigrants as scapegoats, ie chinese exclusion act, japanese encampments. lets not repeat history... Have we not risen above that?

• LDS Liberal
    April 30, 2010 4:45 p.m.

Tom in CA | 11:31 a.m. April 30, 2010
    Most who declare the AZ bill to be "unconstitutional" are ignoramuses and water carriers for the leftist ideology. They are good at declaring "racial profiling" in defense of their stupidity.

Only one word comes to my mind Tom in CA....

This is why I ignore the right.
    This is why I lef the GOP years ago.

No serious discussion.
    No exchange of thoughts or ideas.
    No Christian behavior.

Just these mindless rants, raves, and constant NO.

If have a thought - share it.
    If you have something constructive to add - by all means, say it!

But town-hall shout-downs and
    yelling "You Lie!" in a formal Government setting.

I can only shake my head in utter disbelief.....

• LDS Liberal
    April 30, 2010 3:37 p.m.

JP71 | 1:04 p.m. April 30, 2010
    @LDS Liberal the Mexican drug cartels did kill 300+ Arizonans (Americans) last year and are killing everyday. The Mexican drug war is America's third war and AZ has been left to fight on their own.

• wild horses
    April 30, 2010 2:45 p.m.

Not only Utahn's favor this, but others in other states favor this also.
    The crime has to stop.
    Make the illegals build the fence around the borders.

• michaelitos
    April 30, 2010 2:39 p.m.

Why is it foolish to allow into your country a source of hard-working, low-cost labor?

Do you eat apples, oranges, or even cherries that were cultivated in the USA? You're probably enjoying the fruits of undocumented workers. (bad pun intended)

Do you enjoy well-manicured lawns? How about lower construction and housing prices? Do you work in an office building that gets cleaned over night, or have you stayed in a hotel within the past year?

If you answered yes to any of these questions (and I could keep going), then you have probably contributed to illegal immigration and the "foolishness" of this nation.

The hard truth is that undocumented employment is a real and very integrated part of our economy. And having just come out of a large recession, I don't know too many people excited to enter another one. It's juts one of the many factors that makes this issue so complex and hard to solve.

• Not_Scared
    April 30, 2010 2:33 p.m.

As a thinking American, I know immigration is about national policy. Remember Reagan granted amnesty?

I also know that republicans will do nothing to help form a nation immigration law because they will put political gamesmanship over the good of America.

• chris8484
    April 30, 2010 2:15 p.m.

I don't know of another country in the world that would be so foolish as to allow millions upon millions of illegal aliens to enter their country, bankrupt their hospitals and schools, sell drugs, commit crimes--and not even ask for their papers or deport them. Legal immigration is great, and millions are standing in line for the privilege to live here. Let them come, but send the illegals home. This is NOT about racial profiling. It is about maintaining a standard of law. None of us would expect to enter and live illegally in another, yet we close our eyes when millions upon millions are doing in our country. American citizens are not attempting to profile anyone because of their race or marginalize anyone. We're just acting that laws be enforced so that illegal citizens return to their country of origin.

April 30, 2010 2:01 p.m.

Forget ARIZONA'S LAW? Implement MEXICO'S Immigration Law !

(Two years in jail and fine if you are caught illegal living in Mexico)!

• cmtam
    April 30, 2010 1:54 p.m.

Arizonia took action,while the federal government failed. "This is why you pay taxes,for the authorities are God's servants,who give their full time to governing". (Romans 13:6 NIV)
    The subject of illegal...: Articles of Faith,#12. We beleive in being subject to Kings,presidents,rulers and magistrates,in obeying,'honoring,and sustaining the law.'

• tenx
    April 30, 2010 1:45 p.m.

Reading the article it is noteworthy to see who disagrees with this bill. I for one am all for it. Lived/worked in 27 countries and had to show my ID often. No problem. If you are legal, no sweat, if illegal you should be deported!! Thanks Rep. Pearce and Gov. Brewer for making it possible to enforce the laws of the USA. Come on Legislators, give us a similiar bill.

• apache1
    April 30, 2010 1:11 p.m.

The illegal border issue is going to continue to be a hot political issue because the politicans don't have the moral courage to do what is right. The Democrats and the Republicans only see 50 million potential voters so they favor an amnesty program so they can hang on to power. The political parties are not going to do anything but put on their typical show and express "growing concern" over the issue and that congress will come up with a solution that will be acceptable to everyone.I will be both surprised and happy if this new law hb1070 holds up in court, the justice system is so screwed up that if the liberal 9th circut gets it, it will be struck down. The illegal imigrants will more than likely get amnesty and the border will remain open, simply because no politican has the desire to do the right thing and send the illegals home and close the border. I am curious just how many illegals get into the country every day and which one is going to get in with lets say a dirty bomb? then maybe the politcal dance will change.

• JP71
    April 30, 2010 1:04 p.m.

• Third try screen name
    April 30, 2010 1:00 p.m.

Just to clarify, Mexico is the number one supplier of illegal aliens to the United States at well over 50% of the total. Source: Pew Hispanic Center.
    Mexico also receives by far the most green cards of any country, about 170,000 a year over the last ten years alone.
    Source: DHS Yearbook of Immigration Statistics.
    Those who claim Russia sends us more illegals are, as Obama says, "misguided."

• Brer Rabbit
    April 30, 2010 1:00 p.m.

NOTHING was "tossed" out of the 2008 SB-81 law after a year of legislative interim committee hearings around the state. The law went into effect as written. It was NOT changed by the 2009 legislature. Check the facts.

SB-81 mandates that public entities using taxpayer funds must use E-Verify to check their employees and those companies that contract with them. Enforcement has been weak and left up to the citizens, but nothing was changed in the law.

The policing requirements were voluntary. No funds were allocated for the implementation of SB-81

• Patrick Henry
    April 30, 2010 12:19 p.m.

• LDS Liberal
    April 30, 2010 11:57 a.m.

Chris B | 9:50 p.m. April 29, 2010
    YES, I support enforcing our laws.

Me too!!

Start with SPEEDING!!!

Illegals didn't kill 300 Utahns last year.

• knucklehead
    April 30, 2010 11:50 a.m.

Any idea how many kidnappings occur in PHX? 1+ per day - most all related to drug and human smuggling. H'mmm. So yes, perhaps MESOUTE you do have a point - there is some fear - just not the kind you're thinking of.

And do tell, where have the brethren said it's OK to break the law? When have they condoned illegal immigration or called upon the US to "erase" its border? Cite it please.

• knucklehead
    April 30, 2010 11:39 a.m.

byronbca is wrong too:

AZ law enforcement can only verify your legal status if they first have a lawful contact with you. say you were breaking into your neighbors house and were caught by the cops. Then you could be questioned. Joggers just out for some exercise - nope!

• The Real Maverick
    April 30, 2010 11:31 a.m.

Interesting. Only 406 people of our 2,784,572 population were polled. That's a severely small sample size. I wouldn't base any important decision on the opinions of less than .00015 percent of what the people think. Even with a larger sample size, one needs to consider the ignorance, racism, and blind loyalty to political parties that the population possesses.

• Tom in CA
    April 30, 2010 11:31 a.m.

I suppose there may be justification to "tweaking" the bill, but cudos to the governor for actually being a leader and having the nerve to DO something that NO ONE HERETOFORE has had the guts to do.

If YOU want to participate in a boycott, then boycott the federal government, not the folks in AZ.
    The federal government's APATHY and lack of BACK BONE is the cause of a frustrated governor.

April 30, 2010 11:23 a.m.

This law is based on fear and fear alone. Very sad. It also tells me that LDS members are not entirely in step with church leadership as the brethren have said they will not turn away illegal immigrants.

But then again what would anyone expect from AZ? The only reason they finally acquiessed to mandate MLK Jr. Day as a holiday like the rest of the country is because the NFL said that they would not host a Super Bowl umless they gave in.

• byronbca
    April 30, 2010 11:20 a.m.

What people don't realize is that this law essentially makes it illegal to leave your house without id.

For example, if you go for a run around the block without your id and a cop decides that you look like an illegal immigrant he can arrest you.

Do Utahns really support a law that makes it illegal to not carry identification? or are people that are for this law unaware of the ramifications?

• kjhix31
    April 30, 2010 11:12 a.m.

Just one comment to those of you who are bringing religion into this discussion. Is it not true that one of the LDS church's main points of religion relating to government is that we are subject to and will follow all rules of government (paraphrase)? So when someone is here (or anywhere) illegally, they are not truly following the belief.

• gowestbc
    April 30, 2010 11:03 a.m.

Breaking the law is breaking the law. I generally don't agree with that. When it also costs me money to have someone break the law then I get have more passion for it. So if it inconvienences me to show my ID to an officer because my skin is a little darker than the average American--so be it. It will save me time in the future by not having to pay for someone's healthcare and legal fees.

• just sayin'
    April 30, 2010 10:57 a.m.

No surprise here. Utah is one wacked out state.

• knucklehead
    April 30, 2010 10:50 a.m.

dustman is wrong when he says "The US gets more illegals from Russia, Ireland, and Canada than from south and central america. Yet we still target them. Because they look different."

OTMs (Other than Mexican's) make up a small percentage of the few hundred thousand illegals detained by the border patrol in AZ each year.

And AZ is striving to be careful regarding racial profiling. It's illegal and LEOs must have another lawful contact (e.g. pulled over for speeding, etc.) with someone before they can ask about their legal status.

Please, stick with the facts.

• The Great Houdini
    April 30, 2010 10:49 a.m.

These Mexicans are hard workers for the most part,lets have em come here when we need them to milk our cows,clean our motel rooms,wash our soiled clothes,work on our farms and yards,pay em cheap and then boot em out when we`re done with em,I`m sure that`s what Jesus would`ve done

• knucklehead
    April 30, 2010 10:37 a.m.

Compassion for ALL, not just illegals.

Tell Bob Krenz who was murdered by an illegal just weeks ago and was well known here in Southern AZ for helping illegals who were suffering on their journey through the desert that he should have just shown some compassion. Too bad he can't - he's dead. Stop trying to apply your Utah (or NY...) mindset to an AZ problem you are obviously ignorant of.

The border is porous, dangerous - even murderous! Shootouts in the streets in Agua Prieta, Nogales and Naco are not uncommon. What happens when these spill over to the US? Into my world? Easy for you some 900 miles away to spout compassionate ideals. How about a reality check. Peggy Noonan has an excellent article in the WSJ today about this - I suggest it to all. It's linked off Drudge... suggest you study up!

• KV2
    April 30, 2010 10:27 a.m.

406 Utahns does not equate to Utahns as a whole. This is a very misleading headline - come on D-News. It should read: 406 registered voters favor AZ. law. Very misleading!

• Deno
    April 30, 2010 10:27 a.m.

to jp71 where are you getting you information from or were you pulling if out of your hat. If you are going to make a statement like that prove it with you source material.

• knucklehead
    April 30, 2010 10:26 a.m.

@ dustman:
    I live in Arizona about 15 miles from the Mexican border. Someone should maybe tell the widow of Bob Krenz - a local rancher murdered by an illegal alien - that God was leading him to our country. Maybe all the drug dealers and Mexican Mafia fighting for control of the best smuggling corridors should just remember that God is leading these people. Maybe our YM & YW that can't use a church-owned property without armed Border Patrol escort should just remember that God is leading these people. Maybe I should remember when it's not safe to drop my kids at the bus stop because Border Patrol is in the neighborhood looking for illegals that God is leading these people. Maybe the ranchers whose land and livestock is being trampled and destroyed that these people are being led by God... Come on! Are you serious!?

I will prefer to remember that we are to honor, obey and sustain the law!

Man, I'm sick of seeing lives and property DESTROYED and people incorrectly invoking compassion and justice and as a hollow end to justify bad behavior.

• Bugoff
    April 30, 2010 10:25 a.m.

The AZ law is a step in the right direction. It will need to be refined and will be over time.

I live in TX. Crime committed by illegals is a major issue here. Much of the crime is not by Mexicans, it is by illegals from other countries.

Being a sanctuary city sent a message to professional criminals all over the world that this was a much more lucrative, easier place to commit crimes. We have many illegal crime gangs who have been attracted by the money and lax law enforcement. Many of the murders, armed robberies, drug dealing, kidnappings etc are by illegals, not to mention financial and identity fraud. If caught the illegals tend to get deported. That is a mere inconvenience. They come back within weeks.

If they actually get jail time it costs the tax payers a lot.

Illegal immigration is not a costless crime. Illegal immigration is not just people looking for a job. It includes a notable percent who are professional criminals.

• Andre
    April 30, 2010 10:18 a.m.

I personally know a fair number of illegals who I would consider to be a welcome addition to this country, but am no longer willing to tolerate the bad that comes in with the good: the identity thieves, those who are unwilling to integrate, those who came here to work, but otherwise hate America, drug dealers, murderers, child molesters and those who come to take advantage of services. Not that we don't have plenty of home-grown troublemakers, but while we can't choose who is born here, we can choose who we let in.

• JP71
    April 30, 2010 10:12 a.m.

@dustman "The US gets more illegals from Russia, Ireland, and Canada than from south and central america. Yet we still target them. Because they look different."

Nooo.....its because AZ borders Mexico... not Russia, Ireland, or Canada....;)

• michaelitos
    April 30, 2010 10:02 a.m.

I'm very disappointed at the marginalization and finger pointing going on here.

I would just like to point out to the various posters here that suggest that "illegals" are the source of all economic woes, all crime, and are the sole recipients of welfare, you are seriously mistaken. For that matter, those on the other side launching baseless accusations of "right-wingers" and xenophobia are out of line, as well.

The economy, crime, even welfare are all separate issues where, if you take a truly representative sample, you will find bot documented and undocumented people alike.

This segregating of "us" (the noble, legal citizens) from "them" (dirty law breaking illegals) is completely unfair.

Whether you agree with how they came to this country or not, they are still human beings (and children of a Heavenly Father). In this argument, we all deserve to be treated with more respect than that. It's no wonder that the LDS Church has repeatedly called for more compassion in this dialogue.

• JP71
    April 30, 2010 10:01 a.m.

@coachcarter AZ is very much under attack. Not from the hard working citizens of Mexico that are here illegally but from the drug cartels. Phoenix police officers are being ambushed, home invasions happen on a weekly basis, AZ is the kidnapping capital of the U.S., bodies are found in the desert on regular basis, and all this comes from the Mexican cartels and happens in AZ. This law was an act of desperation on the part of AZ.

I don’t agree with the police enforcing immigration laws, but what is AZ to do. Are they just supposed to do nothing and slowly lose control like the Mexican government has done?

• Deno
    April 30, 2010 9:50 a.m.

Just a few facts on the news today on channel 10 here in Phoenix. There are 50 illegals in Maricopa county jails held for murder, that is one county. DPS just caught 100 illegals this morning crossing the border. 3 drop houses were raided and in one of them they had all being kidnaped and there families were were having to pay ransom to get them released. Sheriff Joe is doing a sweep today the count at this time is 90 arrested and 60 are illegals and he did it in a high crime area. Our highest crime areas are in the Latino neighborhoods. I did a poll of my Latin friends and 90% liked the new law, one of them said that most of the protesters have family that are here illegally. My wife is a latina and was born south of the border and if I thought she would be profiled by the police I would be against bill 1070 and yes I have read the bill, have you?

• dustman
    April 30, 2010 9:40 a.m.

Second Nephi in the Book of Mormon states that all those that come to this land are led by God.

I Florida on my LDS mission we didn't ask if people were documented/legal as a prerequisite for baptism.

People who support the AZ bill are not the people who will get pulled over and asked for an ID.

As a Native American, I'm sick of immigration laws that target Hispanics because my complexion is similar to Hispanics.

• John20000
    April 30, 2010 9:35 a.m.

I had to carry "papers" when I lived in Argentina. I have to show a membership card at Costco. I have to carry a drivers license to operate a vehicle. If I get stopped by a police officer for doing something bad and I have to show ID and the officer runs a check on my criminal history; why would there be any problems with the officer making sure I have proper citizenship?

I have a problem with the principles of immigration law. I have no problem with letting an officer enforce the law, something I pay him to do.

Our great country attracts people looking for greater opportunities. That is the explorer spirit our nation continues to be built on. Unfortunately, we deny many courageous and many US-educated non-citizens from obtaining citizenship. These policies are, no doubt, part of an elitist mentality and the protectionistic fear of change.

In addition, the softening of our explorer spirit and our general failure as men to provider for and protect mothers and the elderly has led to government-expansion "entitlement" programs, which we pay for dearly. These "entitlement" programs don't attract the kind of potential citizens this country needs.

• Tom Smith
    April 30, 2010 9:21 a.m.

Americans are already required to carry identification...why is this such a difficult issue? It is only natural that someone visiting this country would carry identification of citizenship. Considering the amount of crime and illegal activity bestowed upon the US this effort is overwhelmingly needed. Perhaps all the drug money is beginning to influence the highest levels of our government as well? One is suspicious after researching the connections between the Mafia, CIA, and FBI from 1950 thru the mid 1970's

• TucsonUte
    April 30, 2010 9:10 a.m.

You can't go anywhere in this country as an adult and not be asked for some form of ID (i.e. cashing a check, buying certain over the counter meds, buying alcohol, being pulled over for a traffic offense). The voting booth seems to be the only place you don't have to provide ID. Now people are in a panic over Arizona's 1070 law? These same individuals are overlooking the stress illegal immigration puts on all of our nation from health care to law enforcement. Why then are these individuals not panicked when they have to fill out an I-9 form for employment?

1070 is going to hold up in court just like Arizona's state law requiring employers to verify immigration status did.

I encourage any reader of the DN to visit southern Arizona and again see the impact of illegal immigation from healthcare to law enforcement. You will then understand why Arizona had to create this law to force the federal government to do their job.

• kjhix31
    April 30, 2010 9:01 a.m.

I spent the weekend in a Latin American country and when they came through the bus asking for our papers, I didn't think anything of it. They even went through my friends passport verifying he got into the country legally. Yes, he looks like a Gringo and I could say they were racial profiling against him, but we were foreigners in their country. I expect them to check my passport to make sure I am in there illegally.

What is the problem? The only people that should have issue with this law, are the ones that don't have a right to be here!!!

• DN Subscriber
    April 30, 2010 8:57 a.m.

Utah needs to pass a copy of Arizona's law as soon as possible.

Secure our borders, and if that is not done then there are no options but to tolerate law breaking by everyone, or to attempt to find those here illegally and send them back using whatever law enforcement agencies we have.

Legal good. Illegal bad.

• Still Jim
    April 30, 2010 8:46 a.m.

This is such a sad thing. Even without this law my wife has been profiled and stopped for such things as turning right on a green light. Those in favor of such things are those who believe they won't feel the negative effects of this law.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder
    April 30, 2010 8:22 a.m.

CONGRATS - Being from Florida, I'm happy that Utahns are solidly in favor of putting their own version of Arizona's controversial new immigration statute into law in the Beehive State, seeing all their law maker's ever did for decades was only talk about it, without action and had them all fooled. Utah does have those on the far right, and those on the far left, but what really creates political imbalance, is there's NO ONE in the middle, and, when that happens, for those people, from the poor to the middleclass to the "Joe Sixpacks", the same thing will happen, as it did in 2008, and cost the Sarah Palin's and the John McCain's the White House and most all of Congress to sit at home watching conservative Road Runner cartoons while reading Glenn Becks new book. When will you ever learn this?. Why did not Hatch and Bennett start to "tweaks" to ensure that his version is both legal, and aimed at effectively curbing illegal immigration in Utah before re-election time?.

• Not_Scared
    April 30, 2010 8:06 a.m.

The educated answer wouldn't to be to just follow. Smart folks wait and observe to see what the real impacts are before they march in cadence off a cliff.

• Pete in Texas
    April 30, 2010 8:05 a.m.

Had the Border Patrol stop by my jobsite yesterday. The painters here were asked for papers. They said they were Americans and showed their drivers licenses. After the Border Patrol left, I asked them how they felt about being asked for documentation. Not one of them cared because they ARE Americans and they understand the WHOLE picture. They know the illegals are sneaking across the border and causing the LEGAL workers to take a cut in pay because employers are paying the illegals less than what the legals make. They weren't upset at all about it. They never once mentioned "racial profiling" or felt like the Border Patrol were racist in any sense of the word. So all you people who are crying about the law being "racist" and "unconstitutional" have no idea what is going on. If someone is here illegally, they should garnish no rights under our constitution since they aren't legal. It isn't a human right to live in America, it's a privilege. If I say "get rid of the illegals" that doesn't make me a racist, it makes me a patriot. Wrap your heads around that thought.

• Progressive
    April 30, 2010 7:39 a.m.

If I'm an eighteen year old mexican american born in this country pulled over for speeding and I forgot my drivers license, probably the only thing standing between me and being hauled off to jail is my accent and english proficiency. That's unconstitutional.

• Pappy O'Daniel
    April 30, 2010 7:36 a.m.

I tell you right now. IF you haven't armed yourself, and I don't mean a baseball bat, to protect your property you are in dire straits. This influx of illegals will start breaking into your homes while you are away and will take your property by squatting. It has happened in St. George area already. Think you hear about it in the news? Trust me it's coming.

• CJ
    April 30, 2010 7:22 a.m.

To Tony Yapias,

We understand very well what this law does and what it means and we don't need you to explain it to us. You need to face the fact that we are tired of illegal immigrants overrunning our state and nation. And NO we do not need comprehensive immigration reform which is nothing more or less than an amnesty for people who have no right to be here in the first place, they need to go home. What we do need is comprehensive enforcement of the law starting immediately and YES we need to ask about the legal status of anyone we suspect is here illegally and send them back. You and other open borders advocates have badly misjudged how sick and tired the people of Utah and the nation are of your countrymen thinking our laws don't apply to them.
    If you are so concerned about the rights of Mexicans why don't you and them go back there? The sooner the better.

• Esquire
    April 30, 2010 7:19 a.m.

Wait until you are asked for proof of your citizenship. I'm betting you will change your minds about this awful legislation. It is a slippery slope to loss of freedom, and that conservatives, who decry their loss of freedom every time the President says a word, don't oppose this law shows either their hypocrisy or their stupidity.

Buy the way, if you see an illegal at a local business, ask the owner if they have an I-9 for that person. It is the business community that is creating the economic incentive for illegal immigration. It is supply and demand at work.

• Cats
    April 30, 2010 7:05 a.m.

Christy: I am also from Utah County and I totally disagree with everything you said about Xenophobia.

People in Utah County reach out to the world. We are NOT xenophobes. We are as international as you can get. And yes, the fact that so many have served missions in other countries and speak other languages is a factor in this.

Do you think by ridiculing others, it somehow validates your point of view. Apparently you think that by laughing at others, you win your argument. YOU DO NOT.

I understand how you feel about the law in Arizona. It's a difficult thing and many people are very conflicted about it. But, it seems your main reason for opposing it is because you don't want to pay more for services. I hope that's not true.

• jim l
    April 30, 2010 6:55 a.m.

Yes, the majority of americans do favor this bill. Now we just need to make the media and the politicians understand this.

• MikeyB
    April 30, 2010 6:45 a.m.

Patrick Buchanan gave an excellent summary of the Arizona law today:
    Stand Up For Arizona by Patrick Buchanan 043010

First, it brings Arizona law into conformity with federal law. As it has long been a federal crime to be in the country illegally, it is now a crime in Arizona.

Second, just as U.S. law since 1940 has required legal aliens -- immigrants and guest workers -- to carry their green cards or work visas at all times, Arizona law now says the same thing.

As for racial profiling, the new law forbids it. A police officer, it reads, "may not solely consider race, color or national origin" in stopping anyone or in determining an immigrant's status. No cop can halt and challenge a man on the street, or sitting in a restaurant or bar, or driving a car.

• Third try screen name
    April 30, 2010 6:44 a.m.

The "yellow star" and Nazi comments need to stop.
    It has been a requirement in the United States for decades that non-citizens carry their "papers" at all times.
    Arizona is finally asking to see them. And the new law requires that the police promptly turn violators over to federal authorities for handling.

• md
    April 30, 2010 6:09 a.m.

Any time Yapias is against something, I am for it.

• My2Cents
    April 30, 2010 4:23 a.m.

Who needs immigration reform? Not the american people. We the american people want immigration enforcement, not amnesty for illegals to keep looting and pilfering and pillaging this country of its wealth, our freedoms, and rights.

The only thing Arizona forgot to do was call out the state militia, National Guard, to break up this unconstitutional and illegal rioting by foreign nationals on american soil. Put all this in the hands of the military and its resources.

My conclusion is that Tony Yapais is a traitor to his country and our laws. For the sake of this nation amnesty should not be given to law breakers. Illegal foreign nationals are terrorizing america with encouragement from their president in Mexico. Who is also threatening the United States if we interfere with HIS people. We are under attack and it is by illegal Mexicans marching on our nation, its not the american people.

What we need in immigration reform will also require severe punishment to employers who hire illegal aliens. This country was forewarned to keep and maintain strict immigration laws to prevent what has happened, unrest, no jobs, and wages depressed. Not only enforce deportation by any means, include their employers.

• RichardB
    April 30, 2010 2:05 a.m.

The law does not give officers the right to ask people on the street for documentation.

What it does give them is the right to proceed against someone who is discovered to be here illegally. Example: pulling someone over, and finding they have a forged drivers license, gives them the right to run them through the Federal database.

There is way to much scare propaganda going on over this bill in an attempt to discredit it.

• anti-liar
    April 30, 2010 12:54 a.m.

No, Christy. The bill is not unconstitutional. Perhaps you should read it.

Law enforcment needs to go after both the illegal and the employer (do you let the car thief go and only go after the chop shop?).

And the price of lettuce need not go up. It just may mean not quite as fat a profit margin for the greedy employers who in their greed were willing to sell out the country.

• SLMG
    April 30, 2010 12:53 a.m.

The Arizona law is unconstitutional on several grounds, that is exactly why the Arizona State Legislature is already making changes to this law. They are still in session so they can clean up this bill. Someone ask why anyone would be worried if the were ask to prove they are in the US legally? How many of us carry our birth certificates with us at all times.
    To many on here are just racist and blame everything wrong on the illegal Mexicans, like no one else born or legally in the states ever commits a crime. I am not defending illegal aliens regardless of where they come from but reality is reality.

The Arizona law is unconstitutional and illigal Mexicans do not commit all of the crimes.
    The Federal government

• AZRods
    April 30, 2010 12:34 a.m.

Here's the problem I have with the law. And as a 40 year resident of AZ I've seen the reality of what law enforcement actually does in these cases.
    All branches of law enforcement are stopping people, who happen to be Hispanic, for NO REASON.
    Many of my close personal friends are Hispanic, some are here legally, some are not.
    So the bogus notion that the law does not allow racial profiling is a pitiful joke.
    It happens and it makes me very sad for lifetime residents of the US to be detained, pulled over with a ridiculous list of excuses for being pulled over, like, "you don't look like someone who would be driving a car like this". A true sample from a US citizen.
    Yes, protect our borders, but focus on the human smugglers, the drop houses, the drug runners coming across the border and the gun runners going in the other direction.
    But stop trampling on these peoples rights.
    And many of you should educate yourselves who pretend to know the constitution. You're conveniently leaving out the important parts.
    The rights of US citizens.

• macmex
    April 30, 2010 12:30 a.m.

Are own Attorney General, Mark Shurtleff says that it's unconstitutional and unnecessary. I stand up for the constitution. Even though I am of Mexican descent, I'm also from good old Mormon Pioneer descent. I was born in Salt Lake, so I'm guess I am already at home. Let us remember how it was to be found illegally in a state, the state of Missouri.

• Christy
    April 29, 2010 11:32 p.m.

It's not unconstitutional to ask an illegal immigrant for proof of citizenship, nor to send them back to Mexico when they can't prove it.

It IS unconstitutional to ask a LEGAL immigrant or citizen for their papers. That is harassment. It violates the 4th amendment.

Do you understand that?

The problem is: HOW DO YOU TELL THE DIFFERENCE between illegal and legal just by looking? Governor Brewer says she doesn't know what an illegal immigrant looks like. Riiiiiiiiiiight.

This bill is overreaching, Un-American, and unconstitutional and it will be overturned.

Why are the employers of these illegals getting a pass??? THAT is who law enforcement needs to go after. Just be prepared to pay more for your produce and meat. And your homes. And your hotel stays. And your fast food. And your house cleaners. And your gardeners...

• CPA Howard
    April 29, 2010 11:09 p.m.

I live in California and worked for a company with ~90 employees and ~30 were here illegally. Everyone of them had some type of forged document, I believe that in of its self is a violation of state and federal law. The owner knew he had illegals on the payroll and didn't care. The range of salaries paid to the illegals were between $9.00 and $20 dollars per hour. California currently has ~12% unemployment and I know everyone of those jobs could have been filled by legal workers. This was pointed out to the owner numerous times, but he didn't want the interruption to his business that would be caused by having to train new workers.

I think AZ is smart because if the federal government won't enforce the current laws, the states need to protect themselves.

• Christy
    April 29, 2010 11:06 p.m.

@Invictus Maneo | 9:48 p.m. April 29, 2010

[If you actually knew anything about Utah, you would know that we have the highest ratio of Americans who speak a second language here than anywhere else in the country. We also have the highest ratio of people who have lived in a foreign country.]

That is laughable!!! Where did you get that information? Are you referring to return missionaries or something? And yes, Utah and Arizona are by far THE most xenophobic states in America. Both states fought tooth and nail not to have to recognize MLK Jr. Day.

Xenophobia is a dislike, hatred and/or fear of that which is unknown or different from oneself. Utah County, where I'm from, should be called Xenophobia.

The majority of these illegal immigrants are coming here for a better life, the way our own ancestors did. Yes, something needs to be done about the criminals and the drugs. But ultimately, a nation is judged by how it treats the most vulnerable among them.

Shame on you.

• The NIT
    April 29, 2010 10:38 p.m.

I support this effort and I believe Utah should enact similar legislation. If the federal government wasn't totally incompetent and solely politically motivated, this wouldn't even be an issue. The sooner the curent federal power structure is changed, the sooner we have at least a chance to survive.

• Carson
    April 29, 2010 10:33 p.m.

I support the Arizona law and hope that Utah steps up and passes one just like it.

• Cats
    April 29, 2010 10:26 p.m.

I'm really sad that this law is necessary. But, unfortunately, Arizona has been so over run for so many years and crime is out of control. When that rancher on the border was murdered recently, Arizona had finally just had it. They decided that if the Federal Government wasn't going to do its job and protect them, they would have to do it themselves.

The whole situation is really sad and I think most people are very conflicted about it. I'm afraid the law might be unconstitutional, but I certainly understand why Arizona did it.

The states can't take this crime any more. Our borders are out of control. The violence on the border in intolerable.

• attentive
    April 29, 2010 10:26 p.m.

Just watched the 10:00 news and learned that 65% of Utahns are in favor of the Arizona law! Stand up for being law abiding citizens or go home!

• Woodyff
    April 29, 2010 9:57 p.m.

Coach Carter - have you lived in AZ? Yes they are under attack. I lived near the border in So. AZ for 38 years, have you ever been to Douglas???? Are you a Constitution expert? You probably can't answer 'yes' to any of these questions.

• Chris B
    April 29, 2010 9:50 p.m.

YES, I support enforcing our laws.

This bill says that it is illegal to do something that is against the law. Unbelievable the liberals have a hard time supporting something so simple.

Where can I donate to this great cause?

Seriously, let me know!

• Invictus Maneo
    April 29, 2010 9:48 p.m.

If you actually knew anything about Utah, you would know that we have the highest ratio of Americans who speak a second language here than anywhere else in the country. We also have the highest ratio of people who have lived in a foreign country. (Have you ever lived in a foreign country?) That's why the FBI, the CIA, and Homeland Security come here for recruits.

So much for your silly xenophobe argument.

• C. Darwin
    April 29, 2010 9:26 p.m.

Absoluty imperative that Utah pass this bill. Illegal immigration is the tip of the iceberg. Identity theft, crime and cutural fragmentation follow illegals. We cannot allow our system to be overun by people breaking the law. The only people that fear this law are the lawbreakers and those who support them.

• coachcarter
    April 29, 2010 9:23 p.m.

has AZ been attacked? no? Have they been pressured by force? no? it doesn't mirror anything

• anti-liar
    April 29, 2010 8:56 p.m.

Yes "of course" people who believe in doing things the legal way are just a bunch of "psycho right-wingers."

It was prophesied in the Bible: right would be called wrong and wrong would be called right.

Welcome to the future.

• Christy
    April 29, 2010 8:48 p.m.

Of course they favor it. Utah and Arizona are the two most xenophobic states in the nation.

• Laser
    April 29, 2010 8:40 p.m.

Any one who claims the law is unconstitutional has not read SB 1070. Because if you did you would realize it only enforces a federal law. So your beef shouldn't be with AZ.

• coachcarter
    April 29, 2010 8:27 p.m.

Of course Utah is in favor of the new law, do many psycho right-wingers here. This new AZ law IS unconstitutional, and will be found as such in the near future

• Lifelong Republican
    April 29, 2010 8:25 p.m.

Of course Utah favors it.

Did you read the article today that quoted an illegal from Arizona saying, "I'm already heading north to Utah."?

If Utah doesn't pass a similar law, we will be more overrun than we already are.

Our schools and hospitals are bursting at the seams. We can't take on another wave of illegals.

• Atlas
    April 29, 2010 8:20 p.m.

Legal is good. Not is not.

• geriatric1943
    April 29, 2010 8:15 p.m.

The Arizona law mirrors Federal law. The reason so many want to call it unconstitutional is because immigration is a Federal responsibility. However, when the Feds abdicate their responsibility then it is left to the states. Obama has pulled immigration from his agenda this year hoping that he maintains his majorities so that he can push through an amnesty.

He thinks that the American Citizen will not realize that jobs are the issues here. My Hispanic friends who are legal tell me that they support the Arizona law because they say they came here to become citizens legally. In fact, when I talked to one other friend in Spanish he told me he didn't speak Spanish. I asked why and he said 'because I'm an American! I speak English.

• Led Zeppelin II
    April 29, 2010 8:13 p.m.

They did not ask me! They never do. Who do they ask?
    I am not in favor of it because it is unconstitutional. Neither the left or right can solve our immigration issues. Politicians are currupt and government is too big. This law will not solve anything. Only anger more people. This is what government wants which is why I am a libertarian.

• areaman
    April 29, 2010 8:07 p.m.

and here is your yellow star.

• Invictus Maneo
    April 29, 2010 7:49 p.m.

The Arizona law is not unconstitutional. Where in the Constitution are the states prohibited from enforcing immigration laws, or from protecting their own borders? (See the 9th and 10th Amendments)

Article 4, Section 4 guarantees that the federal government shall protect the States against invasion, but Article 1, Section 10, Clause 3 provides for the States to defend themselves against armed aggression or invasion, without having to wait for Congress to declare War.

If the Federal government abdicates its role, and fails to honor the guarantees expressly required of it in the Constitution, then the States have every right to take whatever means necessary to stop the invasion and protect their own borders.

Just because most illegal immigrants are not part of an organized military, does not mean that an invasion is not occurring. They are encroaching on the sovereign territory of another nation without permission. That constitutes invasion.

And no, Tony, we DO know what the law will do. That's why we support it.