U.S. & World

GOP's Mitt Romney takes to life in new California home

Comments

• Undefeated
    April 20, 2010 9:25 a.m.

Romney's problems started when he said he didn't know anyone who talked to god. When he said that I thought he will never win another election.

• RichardB
    April 20, 2010 2:47 a.m.

Good luck to him in California. I hope he does run for Governor there.

• gogosian2061
    April 20, 2010 1:40 a.m.

"APPEAL" of an automatically generated "UN-SPECIFIED Posting Rule Broken" message.

PLEASE BE MORE SPECIFIC, s.v.p.!

Has "The Deseret News" turned right wing 'Politically Correct' in these days of First Amendment challenges?

• gogosian2061
    April 20, 2010 1:37 a.m.

INTERESTING Mister ROMNEY CHOSE NOT(!) to return to UTAH.

Nor MASSACHUSETTS, for that matter.

But those San Diego County REPUBLICAN ESTABLISHMENT "TOADIES" shall treat him well in that locale.

My guess is he chose to move into an estate in the
    'old GOP money' enclave of Rancho Santa Fe - East of the Del Mar racetrack.

THE IS(!) A GREAT LOCAL BOOKSTORE at "The Ranch" - however!

• wrz
    April 19, 2010 10:22 p.m.

@MenaceToSociety3:05 p.m.:

"That is great that Mitt can spend so much time on the beach. It gives him ample opportunity to wear his FLIP-FLOPS!!"

Flip-flopping is what politicians do. Ask Obama who has multiple flop-flips to his name so far.

• A Guy With A Brain
    April 19, 2010 9:01 p.m.

Those that attack Romney so viciously are just scared he'll win, and with good reason.

Romney 2012!

If only America could be so lucky...

• JBs
    April 19, 2010 8:46 p.m.

If Mr. Romney truly goes back to his roots, you would see a democrat who supports the right to choose.

From the changing positions, I believe Mr. Romney would do or say anything to get elected. He knows a great deal about business and I think that is where he should stay. We certainly need him there.

As a president, he would be unable to build consensus because no one would know what he was trying to accomplish as it morphed and changed and reverted back to its original shape. He can't take a stand and stick with it. If he were the Mitt he used to be, I think he would have a shot because that seemed to be the true Mitt Romney.

So I have a question: Will the REAL Mitt Romney please stand up?

• Cougar Blue
    April 19, 2010 5:42 p.m.

Mitt has my admiration as a man---but not as a politician. He should just continue to walk beaches.

• John Stewart Pill
    April 19, 2010 4:58 p.m.

I like the cut of Romney's jib.

• Heber-ite
    April 19, 2010 4:47 p.m.

Romneycare is not Mitt's downfall. When he was governor he handled healthcare the way it should be handled- BY THE STATES. He can say that he has learned from past mistakes and experiences and therefore make better decisions on how to handle healthcare for the whole country. Saying that Romneycare is the one reason he won't be elected means you're looking at is the wrong way.

Romney is the man we need in the White House. He has real world experience and knows the importance of capitalism and the free market. He knows how to cut spending and how to decrease deficits. He will know how to reduce inflation and how to get the American people back to work in the private sector- Not by creating temporary government jobs which help no one.

• MenaceToSociety
    April 19, 2010 4:44 p.m.

John Kerry was called a flip-flopper when he voted two different ways on different versions of a bill. That was bad.

When Mitt Romney flip-flops on an issue, he is "learning and modifying his opinions as he ages". More like modifying his opinions based on who he's talking to that day.

The flip-flopper label is quite the simpleton, meaningless conservative criticism. Although it is quite fun to throw back at a conservative politician just to see the sheep try to explain why that person is not a flip-flopper. Good times!!

• utah state graduate
    April 19, 2010 4:34 p.m.

I believe that Romneycare in Mass. will seal the fate of Mitt Romney. It's hard to call the pot a "kettle", but in reality it is unlikely that Mitt would be elected anyway. The pundits and the media have all the clips and would be hard at work at a moment's notice if Mitt were to announce for President. His time was in 2008 and he was unable to catch the nation then. What would be different this time around.

• So-CalAggie
    April 19, 2010 4:17 p.m.

Wait let me get this strait - "Utah's own" Mitt Romney sold his home in Deer Valley and moved to LIBERAL California where weed is about to become legal? Hmmmm.....

I agree about the flip flopping issue. It's one thing to adjust your thinking as time goes on, we all have to do this. But it's another to change on a dime when suits your political ends. I think most people do see that as disingenuous and pandering. Even if you agree or don’t agree with his “new” direction, it makes you wonder what else he’ll say to get elected? Stick with your guns. We may not agree, but at least we know you have some conviction and backbone. And while not agreeing with everything, we trust those we see as honest. Romney has come off looking like a political weasel.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt
    April 19, 2010 4:14 p.m.

Romneycare is awesome.

• Furry1993
    April 19, 2010 3:43 p.m.

To Cats | 1:40 p.m.

Your comments are in quotes, mine follow a colon.

"I don't believe Romney EVER considered running for office in Utah. "
    :Actually he did -- he was considering running for governor in 2004. My husband and I were involved in his start-up campaign, and were disappointed in him and his lack of honesty when he tore down the residency he had so carefully established so he could run in Massachusetts.

"I can't believe how nasty the comments of Brother Chuck Schroeder and Furry1993 are. I guess, in life, there are always crabs who want to pull others down who achieve and accomplish much in."
    :I'm sorry that you find the truth "nasty" but, whatever you may think of it, my comments were nothing more or less than the unvarnished truth.

"Mitt Romney is a great man and has contributed a lot to the Church and his country. Whether he becomes president or not, he is a great man."
    :Actually he's not. He's just one more dishonest, pandering politician. Whether you like it or not, that's exactly what he is -- just one of the political herd.

• UtahBlueDevil
    April 19, 2010 3:35 p.m.

I wish Mitt had stayed moderate and didn't feel the urge to pander to the Brother Chucks of the world. No party has all the answers. Had Mitt held to his beliefs, rather then playing to the grouchy but does no nothing crowd, he could have been President.

As to those that whine about flip flopping... you know, sometimes you actually learn and modify your opinions as you age. It isn't a bad thing. What is bad is being closed minded and unteachable. More closed minded party drone is the last thing we need more of in government.

• MoJules
    April 19, 2010 3:35 p.m.

I agree with you Fiscal Hawk, I am waiting for Romney to say, there are flaws, we can't do this as a country. I started out very wary of Romney, but I like him and believe he has the maturity and experience to help this country. As for the residency "game", show me any person who is in politics that doesn't play some kind of game.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder
    April 19, 2010 3:09 p.m.

RE: Tom in CA | 2:49 p.m. April 19, 2010
    To all the "Brother Chuck Schroeders" of the world:
    I can think of a whole lot worse than having Mitt Romney for Governor of CA.

Please, "do tell" then. Inquireing minds wanna know.

As for the "To all the "Brother Chuck Schroeders" of the world", there's only one, "LiL Ole Me", and no you can't bow down to me, your not on my guest list yet.

• MenaceToSociety
    April 19, 2010 3:05 p.m.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder
    April 19, 2010 3:02 p.m.

RE: Cats | 1:40 p.m. April 19, 2010
    I don't believe Romney EVER considered running for office in Utah. I can't believe how nasty the comments of Brother Chuck Schroeder are.

In case YOU MISSED IT: Brother Chuck Schroeder | 12:43 p.m. April 19, 2010
    Tell the truth about "good ole boy" "Mittens" - GOP's RINO/Moderate Mr. Mitt Romney takes to life in new California home, it is because when he quits the 2012 Presidential Bid again, he'll go after Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger's old job.

There's no if's but's or whatever's you and the few in Utah's Sen Hatch tea sippen Tea Party has to say, these are NOT nasty, these word's speak the truth, something Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh won't tell you about.

• Tom in CA
    April 19, 2010 2:49 p.m.

To all the "Brother Chuck Schroeders" of the world:

1 - Do I detect a whole lot of jealousy here - or just what it it? Maybe self-righteous syndrome?

2 - I can think of a whole lot worse than having Mitt Romney for Governor of CA.

• Fiscal Hawk
    April 19, 2010 2:03 p.m.

I would love to support Romney for president in 2012 because I believe nobody could potentially "streamline" our federal spending like he could, but I think the passage of Obamacare has made Romney unelectable. How could he run on a "repeal Obamacare" campaign and why does he continue to insist that health care is a right and not a privilege?

• Cats
    April 19, 2010 1:40 p.m.

I don't believe Romney EVER considered running for office in Utah.

• Furry1993
    April 19, 2010 12:54 p.m.

He played the residency game here in Utah following the Olympics, when he was thinking of running for office in Utah and then undid everything he had put in place for his Utah run so he could run for governor in Massachusetts instead. It sounds like he's now playing the same game in California.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder
    April 19, 2010 12:43 p.m.

Tell the truth about "good ole boy" "Mittens" - GOP's RINO/Moderate Mr. Mitt Romney takes to life in new California home, is because when he quits the 2012 Presidential Bid again, he'll go after Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger's old job.