Utah

Mormon general conference speakers reflect on Christ's resurrection

Comments

• skeptic
    July 16, 2010 12:28 p.m.

Why do they call it a general conference; why not be more transparent and call it a meeting of the board of directors of the Mormon church corporation and give a written corporate report with financial statements.

• Joe Smith
    April 10, 2010 3:25 p.m.

...everyone will be resurrected to either eternal life or death...Revelation chapter 20.

• I believe that anybody
    April 7, 2010 12:10 p.m.

can be "inspired" of God if they truly wish. That doesn't mean I believe that anybody that says so (without any credentials is). But every church has a little different beliefs. What the LDS say is a "prophet" is not that necessarily to me. If they mean inspiration he maybe is that. But I don't believe that "God" personally tells him things. He and many other "prophets" are also fallible...I don't believe anybody is not somewhat fallible.
    Also, as far as resurrection...it is almost common knowledge now that this is not literally true. Both anciently and today most people believe that the resurrection is a spiritual thing of the soul both when living and dead. Hardly anybody believes that people will or have risen up litterally from death. If you really read the New Testament I find this evident of even them. If the thought that eventually the body will rise up (even though it may be dust at that point) gives hope, that's up to you, but not the majority.

• re;John Kateel 5:37 p.m.
    April 6, 2010 11:48 p.m.

A friend who is B'hai said -- We are ALL Prophets. All good comes from God.

Each and everyone of us are children of the same God and share the same ability to communicate with him on a personal level.

The right to speak for God for others is a heirarchy -- as Mormons we call it "Stewardship"

It begines with the one-on-one.
    Me for me, with God.

then -
    Me and for my family.
    my flocks, my lands, my business, etc.

If more "Stewardship",
    then more responsibility and inspiration for those whom you serve.

It works progressively.
    I believe that other possess (in goodness) this ability to know God's will. Yes.

This is what I would define as Inspiration

As to the actual title of Prophet.
    That would be one who posses all the rights, and privledges God has given man -- called keys.

There is massive power aboard a nuclear sub.

For safety & security, keys and codes for launch are given to a number of seperate members of a team - who provide them the need ever arises.

Only one man holds all the keys,
    the Captain (a prophet).

And even he takes his orders from above.

~Peace

• Conservative LDS
    April 6, 2010 12:13 a.m.

I give to the Church and other charities liberally for humanitarian efforts. I provide free care to the poor on an almost daily basis. The difference is I do that by my own free will and choice based on the faith that the money and service will not be wasted and will be used efficiently to the maximum benefit to the recipient (like "the canned peaches" story).
    I am sorry, but I have no such faith that the money I give to the government will be used either wisely or efficient. The track record of gross misuse and waste of public funds speaks for itself.
    I am for charities that truly help people who need help. Not ones that disable people in the long term. I am the first to admit that I can always improve my charity toward my fellow man but don't preach to me that my conservative ideals make me less compassionate than liberals. . . .that just ain't so.

• Teri
    April 5, 2010 9:41 p.m.

I enjoyed Conference very much! If the world would follow these inspired mens message, the world would be a better place. God loves each of us and wants us to return to him. May each of us "follow the Prophet" He knows the way!

• Chance
    April 5, 2010 8:50 p.m.

All I can say is Amen "Conservative LDS." Couldn't have said it better myself....

• Ken Goddard
    April 5, 2010 6:44 p.m.

And if you believe that, I've got some ocean front property here in Utah I will sell cheap.

• re -- John Kateel | 3:48 p.m
    April 5, 2010 5:37 p.m.

thank you for answering my comment. I am still a little confused. Do you believe the leaders of all churches are prophets? your 3:48pm post indicates you have "involvement" in multiple religions. I'm just curious how you decide who is a true prophet and who isn't. certainly it cannot be determined simply by the words spoken...

• re -- Anonymous | 3:31 p.m
    April 5, 2010 5:28 p.m.

["Probably for the same reason that I, as an LDS person, believe that people of other faiths can be inspired, but I don't join their faith..."]

["Much of what the Pope says is good and true, but I'm not about to go out and become Catholic."]

but do you believe the pope is a prophet? you didn't say it - you simply said that he is "inspired" and what he says is "good and true".

there is a big difference between thinking someone is "inspired" and "good and true", versus believing they are a true prophet of God.

my response was to someone that believed your leader is a true prophet of God, so I asked why he isn't LDS. if I believed someone was actually a true prophet of God, I would join their religion. so what say you? is the pope a prophet? or just "inspired", which is why you are LDS and not catholic.

• Typo - my bad. sorry!
    April 5, 2010 4:23 p.m.

Mormonism will 'NOT' destroy one faiths and beliefs.

~LDS Lib

• re:John Kateel | 3:48 p.m.
    April 5, 2010 4:22 p.m.

Not all Mormons are closed minded and myopic.

There are some of us who understand what you are saying.

When I was a young man preparing for my LDS mission, I was taught that there have been many prophets to their people in their times.

Abraham,
    Moses,
    Jesus,
    Buddha,
    Muhammad,
    as well as the belief of the Brahma, Vishnu, and Siva.

Mormonism will destroy anyone's beliefs, (if they espouse goodness and truth)...
    But rather, is more like completeling or perfecting those beliefs.

Such as filling in the holes in swiss cheese or providing the missing pieces of a puzzle.

Like Jesus himself once said, "Think not that I am come to adestroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil."

That is what Mormonism should do.
    Not destroy one's faith or beliefs, but to ful-fill them - quite literally I'd suppose.

I hope that helps, and I'd be most fascinated to hear more of your take on it, please.

~LDS Liberal

• John Kateel
    April 5, 2010 3:48 p.m.

A great question from the comment board. How can I not be LDS but still believe that President Monson is a Prophet? The answer stems from my Hindu roots. My parents are from India and my mom is Catholic but my dad is Hindu. I grew up Catholic and am still Catholic but also attend the Unitarian Church. So when my Hindu dad comes to church he prays to Jesus because Hindus believe Jesus is a God. My sister-in-law to be who is Muslim, attends Catholic church and prays to Allah who is God to her. When my wife goes to the Hindu temple because she is Hindu and I attend with her, she prays to Ganesha while I pray to Jesus. When we both viewed General Conference together at the Tabernacle because the Conference Center was full, we were amazed by the piety of the LDS folks who were in attendance and listened intently to the words of the various speakers on the screen. Like Rev. Golsmith at the Unitarian Church likes to say, nothing a Jew and a Mormon can't solve over a ham sandwich and a beer.

• re;Conservative LDS | 3:01 p.m.
    April 5, 2010 3:45 p.m.

Conservative LDS | 3:01 p.m. April 5, 2010
    After reading these comments I am very grateful we have General Conference. Unlike our liberal brethren who are perfect in every way and by self proclamation, far more compassionate than conservatives, we conservatives need to be reminded what wretched souls we are and that total government control is really Jesus' way. Right?

Conservatives want to teach a man to fish and therefore feed him for life.
    Liberals want to give a man a fish (other fishermen's, of course) indefinitely until he is dependent on those fish for life.

Conservatives are about creating jobs and increasing productivity.
    Liberals are about handouts and making as many people dependent on the gov't as possible.

So which of these best describes the Church's inspired welfare system?

---------------

I give up...

Y didn't even listen to the Prophets or the Apostles did you.

I'll remind you --

"Canned Peaches".

enough said.....

• Anonymous
    April 5, 2010 3:31 p.m.

"so... you are utilitarian, but you believe the leader(s) of the LDS church are true prophets of God...

if you believe that, why aren't you LDS? and if you are NOT LDS, why would you believe their leaders are true prophets?"

Probably for the same reason that I, as an LDS person, believe that people of other faiths can be inspired, but I don't join their faith. I believe that Pres. Monson is a prophet, but that doesn't mean that I don't believe that other religious leaders of other faiths can and do receive inspiration from God for the benefit of those who listen to them.

• re:Conservative LDS | 3:01 p.m.
    April 5, 2010 3:30 p.m.

You make me sad.

I hope you are just being a troll.

If not,
    I to would like to take this opportunity to remind you what wretched soul you are as well.

Smug, arrogant, and greedy.
    yep, you're a conservative.

• John Kateel
    April 5, 2010 3:28 p.m.

I am flattered to receive some encouraging words from individuals who have posted comments. General Conference offers an avenue of self reflection that serves as a compass to right our bearings. Our Heavenly Father works his magnificent wonders through many conduits that are outside of mainstream thought. This General Conference led me to reflect on some of these folks. For example, it took tremendous courage for the Afrikaner F.D De Klerk to give up the reigns of power to Nelson Mandela in South Africa. The Truth and Reconciliation Commission founded by Desmond Tutu forgave their oppressors. Oskar Schindler worked to save over a thousand Jews from the hands of the Nazis despite being German himself. The atheist Gorbachev ended communism. The Muslim economist Muhammad Yannus created the Grameen Bank to provide micro-loans to poor Hindus, and white Americans fought fellow white Americans to end slavery here in the USA. Mother Teresa and all she has done as a Catholic nun. This General Conference helps us open our eyes to see the good in all of God's children no matter how different they may be from us.

• Dutchman
    April 5, 2010 3:21 p.m.

As President Monson spoke of the resurrection and the events leading up to Christ's crucificion on the cross I felt as though he had seen all these events in vision because he spoke as one who had been there and witnessed these things and not just as someone who had read about them. In his 47 years as an aspostle of the Lord I am sure his mind has been open to many things particularly visions from our Father in Heaven. How great it is to have such spiritual giants among us to help us follow Christ!

• Anonymous
    April 5, 2010 3:20 p.m.

It was so nice to hear the brethren speak and not say anything about socialism, capitalism, liberalism, or conservatism. The gospel cannot be neatly fit into anyone's ideology, nor can it be used as 100% justification for your ideology. It can certainly influence your political views, but if you're expecting it to completely back up or disparage any worldly philosophy, you will be disappointed. My Mormonism remains constant, my political allignment is in constant flux.

The way I see it, conservatives could be a little more compassionate, and liberals could expect a little more personal responsibility out of people. Neither are perfect. In both camps you will find good people who, when it comes to the way they conduct their own personal lives, look almost exactly the same.

• Conservative LDS
    April 5, 2010 3:01 p.m.

Conservatives want to teach a man to fish and therefore feed him for life.

Conservatives are about creating jobs and increasing productivity.

So which of these best describes the Church's inspired welfare system?

• TO --- John Kateel
    April 5, 2010 2:59 p.m.

8:19am - "Even though I am Unitarian and have never been LDS"

11:21am - "I mistakenly called President Monson by the name Prophet Monson. I apologize and meant no offense by that. To me, he a Prophet, thus the root of my error"

you sound somewhat confused.

• CougarNut2010
    April 5, 2010 2:46 p.m.

to Craig J: i know exactly how you feel...i used to do anything to get away from listening or watching Conference...now...i cant wait for 6th months to pass so we can have it again...and as for the music...i know exactly what you mean...except for me...the music especially hit me at the end of Priesthood Session when the BYU Priesthood Choir sand the Iron Rod...i've never heard a song so powerful so full of life and so comforting in my life

• To Craig J
    April 5, 2010 1:35 p.m.

Same here. I can always find answers, inspiration, and even rebuke when I listen to GC. Gives me the courage to do way is right.

• Arizona Reader
    April 5, 2010 1:22 p.m.

So grateful to have living prophets on the earth! Thanks to those of you who have left inspiring comments about how following the teachings of Jesus will bring goodness into your lives. I find that when I follow him, I am happier, kinder, more loving and have more fulfillment in my life. I challege each of you to discover the same!

• Craig J
    April 5, 2010 1:18 p.m.

As a kid growing up, I use to detest having to gather around the television, or radio to listen to Conference. Age, maturity, and a few humbling life experiences later, I feel enlightened by what was spoken and sung during these just concluded sessions.
    Never have I felt the music from the Tabernacle Choir to be so powerful as it was in the afternoon session yesterday. Wow!
    I certainly know where my shortcomings are after many of the talks were given, yet I see where I can be and it looks pretty good; just have to get a few of my stumbling blocks out of the way. I hope I don't give up on me because the Lord hasn't, and won't.

• re:RE; No Cross@12:30 | 12:48 p.
    April 5, 2010 1:11 p.m.

I understand, and I do not wish to argue.

If you could explain how to symbolically represent the "empty tomb", Which is what we believe, and celebrate - espicially at Easter - then I'd be in favor of erecting it on top of every LSD meeting house in the world.

• To Las Vegas (from Dem Mormon)
    April 5, 2010 12:55 p.m.

"Acts 4:35 (King James Version)

And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need."
    -------------
    This is speaking of the Church, not of the nation. When the Prophet institutes this law (the Law of Consecration), it will be under the direction of the priesthood. It will not work under the direction of a man (or woman) or under a government that is not inspired of God.

In the mean time, we give as we are able, sharing with those in need, through whatever sources will do the most good.

• Jon W.
    April 5, 2010 12:51 p.m.

There are - or were - holidays which were made by God. The Passover, the Day of Atonement, some other festivals which are part of the Law of Moses. I believe the Law of Moses was fulfilled in Christ and we are no longer commanded to observe those holidays, though it certainly doesn't hurt to do so. I also believe that there are cultural traditions derived from pagan worship that can be viewed as indirect symbols of Christ if the viewer so desires. God could have chosen any time of the year for his Son to be sacrificed, die, and resurrect. It's interesting that he chose spring time (in the northern hemisphere), when the rebirth that is evident in all nature witnesses and symbolizes the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Eggs and rabbits are apt symbols of this "renewal of life"
    though not specifically commanded by God. So I hope that you don't consider me a worshipper of Ashtaroth just because I had Easter eggs for breakfast this morning.

• RE; No Cross@12:30
    April 5, 2010 12:48 p.m.

Mormons have the Angel Moroni a symbol of Mormonism. also at Christmas You have a baby Jesus in the manger,but he is grew up to be a man, and die on the cross. That makes sense of the Cross for Christians.

• Anonymous
    April 5, 2010 12:37 p.m.

To John Kateel:

Thanks for your kind, ecumenical and inclusive thoughts. As a Mormon bishop, I appreciate your Christ-like reach across the theological divide. We Mormons could do worse than follow your example. God bless.

• No cross
    April 5, 2010 12:30 p.m.

I try to explain to my friends that we worship the LIVING Christ.

Which is why our churches don't have a crucifix on top.

They like that.
    It makes sense to them.

• re:Anonymous | 1:04 p.m.
    April 5, 2010 12:28 p.m.

Near death experience?

Me too.
    I saw the same things.
    It completely changed me.
    I lived 48 years as a
    hard-core,
    red-necked,
    conservative Utah kind of Mormon.

I came back a
    broken-hearted,
    loosed necked,
    contrited spirit,
    bleeding heart,
    Liberal,
    child of the same God kind of Mormon.

• Anonymous
    April 5, 2010 12:16 p.m.

re -- His name isn't Jesus | 9:36 a.m

["It is time for those servants of the living God to come out of the paganism of so-called Christianity, and return to HIS ways, and HIS commandments, and not the commandments and traditions of men."]

and you got all of that out of a book... and still have no clue about God. that's a shame.

perhaps if you put away your books and actually think about what God wants, you'd realize that all the holidays are simply that - holidays - and God has no problem with any of them - they are all man-made. He's just glad we take the time to celebrate something.

and His only commandment is the golden rule. follow that and you're going to be fine. and in the meantime, He's sitting up there going "they think all those books are real? I should have made them smarter..."

• re -- Anonymous | 1:04 p.m
    April 5, 2010 12:09 p.m.

all I can say is... lol

• Riley
    April 5, 2010 11:59 a.m.

John K.

Thank you for your comments! It is always refreshing to hear the thoughts and impressions of those outside the LDS Church who share our faith in Jesus Christ. I'm impressed with you and your honest appreciation of the teachings of President Monson and the teachings of the Savior.

I greatly respect you and envy the pilgrim's progress that you are obviously making. I'm always trying to get back on that same path, and I've found the best method is to seek your own way as directed by the light of Christ that is in you. Seek to obtain a witness from the Holy Ghost, who alone can reveal the truth of all things. Don't pay too much attention to those on this board or elsewhere who claim to have access to all truth. Seek answers through study and prayer.

Lastly, if you have a moment to read a short scripture, I would commend to you Moroni 10:3-5, the last chapter in the Book of Mormon. It is a passage that means a lot to me.

Good luck!

• LDS Lib
    April 5, 2010 11:48 a.m.

to:John Kateel | 11:21 a.m

Every time someone calls me a liberal it reminds me of my obligation to look after the poor and the needy. The wealthy and affluent in society take care of themselves.

Someone needs to stand watch to make sure those without a voice, the child, the elderly, the handicapped, the invalid are represented and taken care of. We Liberals do that, not very elegantly sometimes, but we do make the attempt.

The word Liberal has powerful and positive religious connotations as well. Joseph Smith said God "is more liberal in his views" than we are ready to believe or receive. Indeed the word liberal or liberally is used 15 times in the scriptures all with a positive connotation. Where the word conservative is not mentioned once and the practice of withholding ones substance from the "poor and the needy, the sick and afflicted" is definitely frowned upon.

Mormons (1844)

Tolerant
    Inclusion
    Dancing (considered sinful)
    Environmentalism
    Freeing the Slaves
    Unorthodox (Non-Traditional) Marriages
    Socialism - United Order
    Women’s Rights (prior Women’s Suffrage)
    Progressive Immigration policies
    Universal Welfare Programs
    Free Speech
    Free Religion (who, where, what they may)
    Sustaining Vote

Liberal then - Liberal Now

• re:Paul in MD | 11:07 a.m.
    April 5, 2010 11:41 a.m.

==============

That's because you are a Mormon in Maryland.

You should see the Glenn Beck worshipping going on here in Utah.

It's enough to me you sick!!!

• Conference was great
    April 5, 2010 11:31 a.m.

What a faith promoting conference! I just love hearing the words of those men. I will follow those men to the grave.

• John Kateel
    April 5, 2010 11:21 a.m.

I stand corrected. I mistakenly called President Monson by the name Prophet Monson. I apologize and meant no offense by that. To me, he a Prophet, thus the root of my error. I do stand by the position that Jesus Christ advocated what would construed as socialism today. I also believe that Brigham Young and Joseph Smith also advocated philosophies that would be considered socialism today. I am not a socialist myself. I do believe that free markets play a major role in determining the proper equilibrium for the exchange of most goods and services. I do feel that it is the role of government to serve as a referee to ensure that the rules of the free market are followed by both producer/provider and consumer so that the exchange is fair and done in good faith. I am a liberal progressive who thinks that social justice policies and consumer protection regulation makes things better for all of society in the long run. I believe that Jesus had a slight anti-business bias, but being the Son of God, he is entitled to this bias. I error on the side of Jesus.

• CougarNut2010
    April 5, 2010 11:18 a.m.

i Agree with Glen Beck on his Political Views and i believe the same in his Religious Views...anyone who has listend to him would know that he loves his Church and is a Worthy member and his politics and his religion are not 1...listen to Glen Beck talk about "Come Come Ye Saints" and then come back here and start talking!!!! listen to his CONVERSION story and then come back and start talking...Jesus Said Love one Another...i love glen beck i love president obama...i love harry reid...i love Mitt Romney...i love Thomas S. Monson The Living Prophet on this earth

• Paul in MD
    April 5, 2010 11:07 a.m.

It was a wonderful conference. I am happy to have been able to see most of it (we missed half of the second Saturday session).

It is true that Glenn Beck is LDS. It is true that many members listen to him, though not all (and I'm only talking about the 5 million or so members in the US - most outside the US probably have no idea who he is). It is also true that not all of those who listen to him agree with everything he says.

I listen to his show on occasion. I do agree with some of his opinions, but not all. Mostly, when I listen it is to open my eyes to the different opinions that are out there, and to hear some of the guests he has on, to hear what they have to say.

To say that all "mormons" listen to and follow Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, or anyone outside the church leadership is a generalization. About the only generalization I've ever heard that is true is that generalizations are (almost) never true.

• His name is Jesus for sure
    April 5, 2010 11:06 a.m.

In Reformed Egyptian that is his name for sure

• Las Vegas
    April 5, 2010 10:53 a.m.

Acts 4:32-35 (King James Version)

And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.

And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.

Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,

• WalkerBD1
    April 5, 2010 10:41 a.m.

For the comment about how all, or most, "mormons" listen and follow what Glen Beck says, Are you crazy. I'm a member and proud to be one, but I never listen to Glen Beck. I truely don't know anyone who does. He should never be used as a view on what "mormons" believe in anyway. The church follows the teaching of Christ, always had always will. To say that "mormons" are huge right wings, is false and incorrect. I know many who are not even republicans, if your going to make comments on things make sure you do alittle research.

• Charlie
    April 5, 2010 10:40 a.m.

Good conference! But we have this article of faith #12 and I was hoping that, given Glen Beck's rantings about our President Obama, someone would at least give Glen a gentle reminder as to what means. Maybe the Tea Party patriots (what an oxymoron) who are members of the Church need to relive their Primary days. We used to recite them when I was young.

• Chance
    April 5, 2010 10:27 a.m.

JW's thrive on being contrary. "His name isn't Jesus" sounds like a JW. Without their Contrarianism, they would have nothing different to teach. Doctrinally, whether Jesus, Yeshua, Jehova or Joshua, he is the same. He is the Son of God...IMO.
    I grow tired of sectarians telling me that I believe in some strange Jesus...not the same as theirs. Though we may call him by different names, he is the same yesterday, today and forever....right? Stop trying to separate me from my God with your Semantics.

• littlejoe
    April 5, 2010 10:16 a.m.

he was not a socialist but he was not a capitalist either, didn't he say to the rich young man to give all his wealth to the poor and follow him. extreme socialism control our lives but extreme capitalism controls our souls trough greed and the search of wealth only.

• RE: His name isn't Jesus
    April 5, 2010 10:11 a.m.

True,in Hebrew James's name is Jacoby,Paul is Cephas(Shaul) and Elias is Elijah. But since you seem be be a legalist, Jesus said,"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind,This is the first and greatest commandment,and second is love your neighbor as yourself."((Matthew 22:37,39)Therefore the greatest transgression(sin) would be not too, and remember God demands perfection.

• Mark Kent
    April 5, 2010 9:40 a.m.

Yes. Although most Mormons are conservative, look at Harry Reid. He's a Mormon, and I am assuming in good standing with the church, and he's as liberal as they come.

• His name isn't Jesus
    April 5, 2010 9:36 a.m.

First of all, His name was never Jesus. Jesus is a Greek name, and He was clearly not Greek. His name is Yeshua, and He is, was and always will be Jewish. He also didn't celebrate easter, nor did His disciples. Easter is the name of a false god that clearly represents pagan fertility rights, and has nothing to do with the resurrection of the Savior. Do you realize that our tradition of dying easter eggs come from an ancient pagan tradition that involved the sacrifice of babies and dying the eggs in their blood? To this very day, Greek orthodoxy dies their easter eggs only one color - blood red.

He and His disciples celebrated Bikkurim (First Fruits), and all the other Appointed Times found in the Torah, such as Passover, The Feast of Weeks and The Feast of Tabernacles. Easter is not God's feast, it's MAN's feast, and He takes no pleasure in it. The same applies to Christmas.

• Twittering Levite
    April 5, 2010 9:32 a.m.

"I just walked by this bloody drunk passed out on the road. I'm sure glad we don't have any government services to bail out these freeloaders lying in the gutter along the roads."
    "Wait a minute. This dumb Samaritan just stopped and gave him a handout. Stupid liberal."

• RobK
    April 5, 2010 9:28 a.m.

i agree !!

esus was not a socialist!

He does advocate socialism, not one bit.

He advocates compassion and love.

Socialism is government control of the means of production. It is your money taken by FORCE and given those the government determines is "needy".

That is not compassion and love.

• Re John K
    April 5, 2010 9:18 a.m.

Several problems with your statement . Thomas Monson has the title "President Monson " and this applies if you think he is a prophet or not . Socialism and capitalism did not exist 2000 years ago so Jesus could not have been either a socialist or a capitalist.When you say "the political rhetoric of the Republican Party . Actually its not the GOP but radio hosts like Glenn Beck( who most Mormons agree with )and Rush who spout the rhetoric. Was jesus political at all ? Based on the "Render unto God " I dont think so You miss the point that most LDS in the USA are right wing Republicans who agree more with Glenn Beck than they do with President Monson.

• To John Kateel
    April 5, 2010 9:16 a.m.

I agree that Christ was very emphatic about caring for one's neighbor, feeding the poor, adminitering to the sick. But, as with all things, He encouraged these things to be done with a "generous heart." Social justice should be motivated by Christ-like love. It should not be government mandated.

• John Kateel
    April 5, 2010 9:09 a.m.

Jesus was not a socialist!

He does advocate socialism, not one bit.

He advocates compassion and love.

That is not compassion and love.

• Brandon
    April 5, 2010 8:56 a.m.

I watched the entire conference. I felt the Savior's love over and over again during the talks. I was uplifted. I felt the confirmation in my heart that Jesus Christ lives! I felt the Holy Ghost witness that President Thomas S. Monson is God's chosen Prophet for the world at this time; and never before has there been a greater need to have a Prophet of God on the earth!

• David
    April 5, 2010 8:54 a.m.

John. I am glad that you found the message inspiring, as did I. How could it not be inspiring? It was about Christ and his teachings.

I do think that this issue of social Justice needs to be understood. There is a huge difference between what Christ teaches: freely giving of ones substance to the poor out of love, and what socialism is: the forced redistribution of wealth by government. Christ has never advocated for the latter. In fact, the war in heaven was fought so that men and women would be free to choose to do good or evil.

I do agree that as men and women grow closer to the Lord they tend to be much more charitable. I submit that there is a difference between Christian charity, and Social justice through government, aka socialism.

I know it is possibly semantics, but that is what most conservatives believe, especially LDS conservatives.

• John Kateel
    April 5, 2010 8:19 a.m.

Even though I am Unitarian and have never been LDS, I feel great comfort in hearing the words of Prophet Monson. I think his message of humility and following the teachings of Jesus Christ when it comes to showing compassion to the meek and the poor and the different is wonderful. I have always believed that the LDS church has a message of social justice that is in tune with the desires of Christ but is drowned out by the political rhetoric that is espoused by the Republican Party. I feel that Jesus was more of a socialist than a capitalist. The more closer we follow Jesus, the more socialist we become.

• Anonymous
    April 5, 2010 7:35 a.m.

These are truly men of God.

• Will
    April 5, 2010 7:29 a.m.

I hate to be critical but wouldn't it be more appropriate to have the article titled "LDS General Conference" rather than "Mormon"?

• @anonymous 1:04
    April 5, 2010 7:14 a.m.

Didn't we meet you in December of 1999 when you were crying "end times" then too as you guys planned your trip to Missouri ?

• Easter
    April 4, 2010 10:15 p.m.

What an wonderful weekend celbrating Easter and the resurected Lord and his mission at the feet of prophets of God in our own day. Perhaps there really is hope for this world. Not perhaps, certainly if we will but follow their counsel.

• RE Cats
    April 4, 2010 6:01 p.m.

"The Savior of all mankind'
    "For God so love the world that he gave his one and only Son,that 'whoever' beleives in him shall not perish,but have eternal life." (John 3:16)also
    "Whoever beleives in the Son has eternal life,but whoever rejects the Son, will not see life,for God's wrath remian in him" (John 3:36)

• Cats
    April 4, 2010 4:28 p.m.

A wonderful conference...We Testify of Christ, we love Christ. He is the center of our lives and the Saviour of all mankind.

• coolboy
    April 4, 2010 1:14 p.m.

Great to hear your church speak of Easter! HAVE A GOOD EASTER! GOD LIVES SAY AMEN TO THAT!

• Anonymous
    April 4, 2010 1:04 p.m.

Yes, we will resurrect when Jesus comes again. Jesus will not come in this life, but in the next generation. There is not a Heaven and a Hell only for a few, but a Heaven with a Father in Heaven that loves us unconditionally. It is a place of peace, joy, and love. It is not a golden brick road with a castle and a mean Old Testament God. How do I know? I had a near death experience.

We are now in end times. Just look at what is happening in the Middle East.

We need to listen to the prophet and his leaders because they are annointed of God.

• James Albert Heilman
    April 4, 2010 1:02 p.m.

We are so fortunate to have these men as church leaders. We don't hear anger,hatred or discord. Instead they bring a message of hope,love and forgiveness to all that would receive it! If you have doubt,are confused by the world or have been hurt or insulted then take your cares and lay them at the feet of the Lord. From your knees ask his forgiveness and protection. He refuses no one. Christ lives!