Historic Eagle Gate a prominent Salt Lake landmark

• bluto
    March 31, 2010 8:35 a.m.

I wonder if the State/City (Government) paid fair market value for Brigham Young's land? What are the odds?

I'll bet the Church donated it to the City/State.

During the Main Street fiasco, critics forgot that most land was originally actually donated to the City, without compensation to the Church.

For years I have advocated a re-do of Eagle Gate.
    A replica of the original can be seen at This is the Place park.

I hope the Church will bring back the stone pillars, and 19th century Rustic look. This could easily be achieved with the current structure.

Simply expose the supporing structure and wrap the legs with stone pillars.

Instead of a copper sheath, bring back the earth tone colors and stone.

As it is now, it is barely noticable, with contrast and color of natural materials it would really be a show-piece once again.

And while we're at it. The traffic signal in front of the Brigham Young monument is too large, and obstructs the southeast view for pictures.
    Let's shorten that up.

And enough already with jersey barriers and pvc along the trax routes. Honestly!

ok I'm done.

• Anonymous 4
    March 30, 2010 4:29 p.m.

Thank you for the article and photos! I, too, "hope this author and the Deseret News will continue to publish these types of stories." It's very nice to have access to this historic information.

"delusions of grandeur" ?? Old Brigham Young was young Brigham Young when he started out with his "delusions of grandeur." And just look at the many grand real results of his "delusions!" Really.

Perhaps the earlier versions of the Eagle Gate were more aesthetic, but in order to span the widened street and stand the ravages of time and weather, the modern "monstrous distortion" is more practical. And, thanks to the Deseret News, we still have access to the old photos.

• Anonymous
    March 29, 2010 3:24 p.m.

Old Brigham Young really had delusions of grandeur didn't he?

• Anonymous
    March 29, 2010 3:23 p.m.

The current Eagle Gate is a monstrous distortion of the earlier versions, which were much more aesththetic.

• M
    March 29, 2010 2:18 p.m.

Out of State, I had the exact same reaction.

• From Out of State
    March 29, 2010 12:28 p.m.

When I first saw the headline I thot, "oh no! They're not taking it down, are they?" I'm so glad to see that is not the case.

• Anonymous
    March 29, 2010 11:30 a.m.

I really enjoyed this article. I hope this author and the Deseret News will continue to publish these types of stories.

• Kenneth in Texas
    March 29, 2010 9:47 a.m.

Thanks for the brief history and pictures. Much of the info I had heard before (childhood visits to Beehive House), but I had forgotten much.

I suspect Brother Brigham would be amused to see how his driveway has changed through the years.

March 29, 2010 8:27 a.m.

Very interesting pictures and article

• Kemp J
    March 29, 2010 7:05 a.m.

I enjoyed the article and the photos were awesome. My dad worked on the project in the early '60's