U.S. & World

13 attorneys general, including Utah's Shurtleff, sue over health care overhaul

Comments

• Bill
    March 31, 2010 8:46 a.m.

I have decided. I do not like community organizer work at the federal level. For that matter, at the state level either.

• Stephen
    March 25, 2010 1:05 a.m.

FINALLY!!! A real fight over a real constitutional issue, the left and the right slugging it out is what makes this great republic possible. I am so tired of the same lobbies controlling both parties so that no one takes a chance, there is no fight, and we don’t get anywhere.
    The truth is that we do not know,yet,how the Roberts’ court will rule on 10th amendment challenges. Logically, the Roberts court should favor states rights and overrule not only the Health Care Bill, but the 1964 Civil Rights Act as well. That is logically, but for now, that is not certain.
    If the Utah Attorney General is correct in his assessment that now is the time to challenge Federal Mandates based on the 10th amendment, then this is only the beginning of a rocky ride as the U S Supreme Court begins to reverse rulings that date back to the Warren court.
    Before the Warren Court, state law prevailed over Federal Law.

• GOP Joe
    March 24, 2010 4:26 p.m.

Great. How much is this going to cost now? At least the health care legislation has a real benefit for the money. This is just a waste of time. If you don't like the legislation, don't sue, just wait until the next election cycle and vote for politicians who will write new legislation to override this one. Getting hundreds or thousands of lawyers involved isn't the answer.

In the meantime, let's cut our military spending in half and save some of that money to pay off the Iraq War debt.

• Anonymous
    March 24, 2010 2:44 p.m.

These lawsuits are a complete waste of much needed tax-payer dollars. No chance of success. Please study the Supremacy Clause.

• Anonymous
    March 24, 2010 2:33 p.m.

This is the conservative health care plan.

That made me giggle. The conservative health plan is:

don't get sick.

• Litigation
    March 24, 2010 7:19 a.m.

This should go fast. This is the conservative health care plan.

• A Guy With A Brain
    March 23, 2010 8:06 p.m.

So what's the difference between force someone to buy healthcare or buy a car to spur the economy?

And, no, I'm not kidding.

If we allow the Fed. Gov't to do the first, what's going to stop them from doing the second?

• americanpatriot
    March 23, 2010 8:06 p.m.

I was an independent voter who lives in MAryland,a heavily liberal state, but, this bill just pushed me to be conservative-republican

• The REAL Question
    March 23, 2010 7:59 p.m.

So anti-lawsuit 'experts' claim the lawsuit will fail because the Constitution states that Federal law trumps state laws.

OK, fine.

But MY question is, where in the Constitution (the FEDERAL document) does it say that the Fed Gov't has the authority to force American citizens to buy a product or be fined????????????????

NOWHERE!

If you want to try and say where, by all means, do so. Please tell us all the exact article and section and post the text.

• Anonymous
    March 23, 2010 7:56 p.m.

sure lets spend more of our money fighting over something that is all done.

• Constitutional
    March 23, 2010 7:29 p.m.

This will be deemed constitutional. Why? Because it will be argued that they are not forcing you to buy something but they are taxing you if you don't have insurance. Therefore, your options are to have insurance or be taxed. We all fully aware of the taxing power, and its constitutional legality, of congress. Once again, Utah is spending tax-payer money to lose a legal battle.

• Anonymous
    March 23, 2010 6:07 p.m.

problem with the mindset:

Please pay me back all the tax money I paid for your kids to get an education. Why should I have to work for your kids.

Pay me for all the taxes I paid that you didn't just because you chose to have kids.

I was forced to pay for your kids. I didn't want to. It's socialism.

• To all of you
    March 23, 2010 6:04 p.m.

Who are saying what a great job for the states to assert their rights over the federal government taking too much control and overstepping their bounds:

When are you going to push Mr. Attorney General to sue the federal government over the Defense of Marriage Act?

The Constitution specifically states that matters of public record (such as marriage) be valid from one state to another. Which is great for your straight people who can get married in Utah then move to Florida where it is still valid and legal. But not them gays.

This law is just as "unconstitutional" as the health care reform, yet I don't see you clamering to get it repealed?

• @Re:Instereo
    March 23, 2010 6:00 p.m.

" Democracy is not the government telling us what insurance to have. Democracy is THE PEOPLE voting on it, not the governement who in fact will still have a different and better insurance. Democracy is a great thing IF the people vote on it."

The funny thing is, the people DID vote for this. We are not a democracy, we are a Constitutional Republic. Meaning the PEOPLE elected the officials that passed this legislation.

Therefore the system worked EXACTLY how it was supposed to. Ain't America Grand?

• problem with the mind set
    March 23, 2010 5:30 p.m.

Saying that Health Care is a right is like saying food and water are a basic human right, no... they are needs, and unfortunately we have to work and pay for those needs, not get a government handout or be forced in any way to fulfill those needs. The backers of these "reforms" have very effectively created an expectation, what we need is for individuals and organizations to find a way to be more charitable on their own and not be forced into it.

• FairTax
    March 23, 2010 5:16 p.m.

We need the FairTax.

• Re: Tom
    March 23, 2010 5:15 p.m.

What are you thinking? How does this have anything at all to do with religion? If you read the article (which I doubt - probably just looked at pictures) then you'd know that 13 states are in on this, not just Utah. Crawl back in your cave of ignorance and hatred and leave the world alone. Society is better without people like you.

• Libby
    March 23, 2010 5:12 p.m.

The more I read about the Healthcare bill the more I like it.

1. Truly small businesses, those with less than 25 people will get tax waivers. I'm tired of businesses with 500 employees calling themselves small business.
    2. I am not going to renew my membership in the National Federation of Independent Business. NFIB opposed this bill, but they don't represent small business at all!
    3. College age kids will be able to stay on their parents insurance.

There are a lot of small businesses and college kids in Utah. Once people read and understand this bill they are going to LIKE IT!!

• Anon
    March 23, 2010 5:10 p.m.

BUT if you are an illegal alien, you won't have to worry about it. You STILL won't be paying taxes and you'll STILL get healthcare when you want it,where you want it. It won't cost you anything. The American taxpayer is taking care of all of it for you and the president of that American taxpayer is making sure that they DO!!!

• Civil Disobedience, It's worked
    March 23, 2010 5:06 p.m.

If these lawsuits do not bring about a reversal of this ill-gotten victory for Obamacare. The will of the the people must nonetheless be heard. I suggest massive civil-disobedience to this travesty of a law. In my book an unjustlaw is not a law. If those who oppose this will truly stick together it will not be very long until changes it will be rescinded.

• reply:Tom 4:40pm
    March 23, 2010 5:04 p.m.

The mormon state, there are 13 states that are in the lawsuit, did you read the article, get over yourself. Florida took the lead in it, and last I remember it is in the south where there is a pominant Baptist communities.

• Re:Instereo
    March 23, 2010 4:47 p.m.

What????? Democracy is not the government telling us what insurance to have. Democracy is THE PEOPLE voting on it, not the governement who in fact will still have a different and better insurance. Democracy is a great thing IF the people vote on it.

• Randy!
    March 23, 2010 4:43 p.m.

The healthcare bill is awesome! Now little Joey can get insured, and get his transplant! Thank you Mr. President! VOTE DEMOCRAT!

• Tom
    March 23, 2010 4:40 p.m.

I am for the new healthcare by our president! Why is it that the mormon state has to file suit when this will help America! Why is it that the LDS GOP has to stand up and say...wait a minute! Com on! THis is good for folks like myself who cant get insurance? Da?

• Instereo
    March 23, 2010 4:30 p.m.

I just want to know how many American Citizens these Attorney Generals feel should go backrupt because of health care costs. Maybe they can also tell me how many American they think is acceptable to not have any kind of health care. Finally I want them to tell me what an appropriate amount of profit to be made by insurance companies, doctors or hospitals is acceptable to provide adiquate health care.

I'm glad the health bill is signed.

I think just like with Prop 8, 51% told the other 49% what they couldn't do and now with health care 51% are telling the other 49% what they want. You liked democracy when it told people who they could and could not marry, how do you like it now?

• Just me
    March 23, 2010 4:29 p.m.

Im all about a new Civil War! America is breaking up. Instead of United States Of America, lets just call us America and drop the whole United part because NO ONE is United anymore. Fight the Power!

• Anonymous
    March 23, 2010 4:06 p.m.

Thank you, Obama, for doing in 2 years...

what Bush could not do in Eight.

• Thank you Mr. Attorney general
    March 23, 2010 3:54 p.m.

While you are at it, could you also sue to add the items below that are also unwhatever?

1) I don't think it is fair that I should have to pay so much in property taxes that go to help out schools when I don't even have any kids!
    2) Gas tax? Why should I pay tax gas? I don't like it. It is an unfair tax just because it is.
    3) All taxes. Let's just git rid of all of dem taxes.

• @Cats
    March 23, 2010 3:18 p.m.

You mean to say - I have insurance for myself and my family and don't care at all about those who do not. I don't care about the thousands will go bankrupt this year because their medical bills surpass their ability to pay. I don't care about those who have pre-existing conditions. They should have though about that before they had cancer. We'd rather make hospitals write off thousands of dollars for emergency room visits rather than spend a hundred bucks for a doctor's office visit. We don't care if people just hurry up and die already.

Now, get out of my way. I need to get my prescriptions and take a look at my Medicare statement to make sure I don't anything for my own medical care.

• Capt. Smash
    March 23, 2010 2:59 p.m.

All these AG's are wasting tax payer time and money! Go find some real criminals like more rethuglican law makers!

• Cats
    March 23, 2010 2:29 p.m.

Dear Attorneys General:

Thank you for standing up for the people. Thank you for listening to the people. Thank you for standing up for our constitution. We all need to keep fighting.

• Long live the king!
    March 23, 2010 2:26 p.m.

Anyone else feeling a lot more like a subject than a citizen. All the post-vote sound bites were things like "Now we will go down in history". Hello...What?...Most citizens don't want this...Anyone listening?...Oh, I forgot the music is too loud at the "Hurray for us party at the White House." Anyone remember Jimmy Carter's presidency? I just hope we get another Ronald Regan to follow this time and clean up Obama's mess.

• Good Luck
    March 23, 2010 2:02 p.m.

I hope the AG's have success. It's time to rein in the Congress...they have WAY over reached here. I for one am glad someone will step up and say..."this is wrong!"

• to Anonymous 1:31-
    March 23, 2010 2:02 p.m.

I'm willing to pay to preserve truth and freedom, i'm not willing to pay for able-bodied little kids college education. If didn't love communism you'd be able to comprehend the difference.

• What a great use of money.
    March 23, 2010 1:58 p.m.

We have plenty. The economy has been great and we have more than enough to spend on losing litigation!

• Blaine
    March 23, 2010 1:46 p.m.

I'm pleased that Utah's Attorney General has joined litigation to stop federal control over the health care and health insurance sectors of the US economy.

Whatever problems that exist in these sectors of the economy are a direct result of unwarranted and unwise government obstruction and manipulation of free enterprise. As President Regan said, "Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem."

Congress and the President claim that they have authority to impose control over another 1/6th of the economy because the Constitution allows Congress to regulate interstate commerce. That claim manifests a profound and distorted misapplication and deliberate misunderstanding of the interstate commerce clause. The founders intended for the federal government to ensure that commerce between the states be unimpeded by tariffs and other restrictions -- not to impose total control over the economy!

I wholeheartedly support Utah's long-overdue fight against federal usurpation of power.

• ouch
    March 23, 2010 1:42 p.m.

I need to go to the emergency room. Someone just crammed something down my throat.

• Anonymous
    March 23, 2010 1:31 p.m.

Utahns are a bunch of idiots! Doesn't a lawsuit cost more tax dollars?

• It sickens me . . .
    March 23, 2010 1:28 p.m.

. . . to have Shurtleff waste more of Utah's money in this ill-based and ill-founded law suit. Enough Mark -- start thinking about the good of Utah's citizens and stop the attempts to make political points to please the far right base. Sickening.

• @crichton007
    March 23, 2010 1:10 p.m.

get a clue fella. When this law goes into effect and the consequences become apparent, there will be many who will be denied health care because of government beaurocrats deciding whats best and most cost effective. besides it is totally unsustainable! What is it with you supposed do-gooders? Don't you realise that the final result will break our systema and our health care. It will be worse than you ever imagined.

• Desperation
    March 23, 2010 1:07 p.m.

It takes a nearly trillion dollar federal mandate forced down their throats for the people of the US (and this message board) to finally get serious about the constitution? The federal government has been abusing its constitutionally mandated limits for many decades and in recent years ONLY Congressman Ron Paul has fought against it. Now that the republicans are bothered by a democrat-passed law they will support the constitution? Well, hopefully they will remember state's rights the next time they are thinking about a bill usurping state's rights...

• crichton007
    March 23, 2010 12:54 p.m.

If only as much time and effort were put into making sure that everyone had health care itself. What other wealthy industrialized nation allows any of its citizens to die or go bankrupt because they can't afford health care? What does that say about us as a nation? Who is there commenting here that is against this that had ever not had health care and needed it? I am not one who could sleep at night knowing that health care companies can use the practice of rescission or not cover people with pre-existing conditions to protect profits while people are allowed to die.

• Karl Hayes
    March 23, 2010 12:49 p.m.

The tenth amendment reads, "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited to it by the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." Regardless of current practice, the idea that federal law trumps state law doesn't come from the constitution. The tenth amendment does allow the states to prohibit the federal government from getting into areas that the constitution hasn't authorized it to govern, and this (health care) is one of those areas.

There is a word for forcing people turn over their money by intimidation, as this health care plan proposes to do via fines for those who don't sign up. It's RACKETEERING.

• What a waist of time and money
    March 23, 2010 12:43 p.m.

What a bunch of self-serving AG. This health care reform bill is a good thing for America.

• Anonymous
    March 23, 2010 12:20 p.m.

Where can I donate!?! Support the constitution or all is lost!

• Anonymous
    March 23, 2010 12:15 p.m.

"Legal experts say it has little chance of succeeding because, under the Constitution, federal laws trump state laws."

Seriously? That's the best the "legal experts" could come up with? What if the federal laws are unconstitutional?! It doesn't take a legal expert to know that unconstitutional federal laws can't trump state laws. And a federal law isn't constitutional just because it's a federal law.

• Fed vs State
    March 23, 2010 12:10 p.m.

So what the opposition to this effort is really saying is that the Constitution isn't worth the paper it was written on. If your argument against this lawsuit succeeding is simply that federal law trumps state law (as is stated in this article), then I guess the feds can justify anything they want to force the states to do, despite what the Constitution allows. Isn't that interesting, fellow posters???

Be afraid, friends. Be afraid. Tyranny is not only at our gates, it has crashed thru them. And that central problem has nothing to do with which party is in charge.

• Put my name on it..
    March 23, 2010 12:05 p.m.

The bill will do nothing to drop the cost of healthcare!!!

• Anonymous
    March 23, 2010 11:58 a.m.

The National bar Association wishes to thank you for passing the attorney employment act. :-) At least, conservatives have gotten a lot of experience at being losers. One more time won't dash their selfish displays of egoism.

• nuts
    March 23, 2010 11:49 a.m.

I feel like everyone is nuts. sue the fedeal government of elected people. That is the government. The crazy thing is the right says the fed is too powerfull when they are not in charge but it was okay to wire tap and torture when they are in power. pray for the people that did torture. if you believe in christ you dont torture anyone.

• Dr. Bob
    March 23, 2010 11:49 a.m.

Thank you attorney generals!!!!!!!!

• Anonymous
    March 23, 2010 11:31 a.m.

These state attorneys generals are spot on! I hope they seek to fast track this to the US Supreme Court. I also hope they seek an injunction to stop the implementation until the law suit is finalized in the US Supreme Court.

• Slag0500
    March 23, 2010 10:58 a.m.

It is about time that some one stood up for the Constitution. The sold purpose of government is to protect us from crime and foreign invasion. All other purposes, such as health care, are unconstitutional and illegal use of taxpayer funds.

• Lisa Simonsen Powell
    March 23, 2010 10:56 a.m.

This goes to show there is always choices in every situation. Instead of being in fear, let us all do something positive to fight back, such as the above action. And prayer doesn't ever hurt either. If ever there was a time to pray for our country..............