U.S. & World

Obama signs historic $938 billion health overhaul

• Great baby picture Mr. Pres.
    March 30, 2010 11:12 a.m.

Ah...another taxpayer is born to inherit his spending spree debt...hope this small baby does not get the bad news too soon so it can enjoy life for a short while.

• Grandma
    March 28, 2010 6:18 p.m.

The devil is in the details.

• Please explain...
    March 27, 2010 10:03 p.m.

Why does it cost $938 Billion to provide discount health insurance to 30 million people?

A little pork hidden in there somewhere?

• They really need to be
    March 27, 2010 10:06 a.m.

informed. Does anybody think that while people are taking out medical bankruptsy that they say in their minds "well, this just has to be and it's my choice" And also, there are many people that don't have to actually take out bankruptsy, but they have to give up things they would like to have (in some cases NEED) in order to pay their health care bills. This is not acceptable for the USA and we now have a start at helping this.
    Maybe not everyone knows how bad it is...but some of us do and we are letting everyone know!

• Did I miss something?
    March 27, 2010 9:52 a.m.

30 million people don't have health care ...

Of those, 20 million say that is by choice - they could afford it but choose to spend the money on something else

Of the remaining 10 million, about 3 million had serious health problems and quit their jobs, so they could not get health insurance through their new employer - although the very expensive COBRA program (brought to you by the gov't) is an option.

No offense, but all of the hype about people dying without health insurance? All but 7 million people in this country don't have health insurance by choice.

Did that really require an overhaul?

• Yes, and for people
    March 26, 2010 4:00 p.m.

that can be hypocritcal! There are parts of the bill that Republicans were originally for (when it was their idea) and then when the Democrats put it in it all the sudden wasn't good anymore!

• Pagan
    March 26, 2010 3:54 p.m.

Sen. Hatch supported mandated healthcare in 1993.

But now, in 2010, it's unconstitutional.

Why would you vote for someone who dosen't THINK??

• Anonymous
    March 26, 2010 11:11 a.m.

"CNN is reporting that in 1993 Sen. Hatch supported a measure almost identical to MittCare and ObamaCare."

He did. It even had the "mandate" as a part of it. When asked about it, he replied that he didn't think about whether or not it was constitutional then. He has thought about it now and thinks it is unconstitutional. What?

• Check this out!
    March 26, 2010 10:41 a.m.

March 26, 2010 9:06 a.m.

I could easily see myself across the battlefield from liberals.

Let's not mince words. People are already creating very real battlefields against liberals today.
    Brick throwing, spiting, death threats, the battle is happening today, right now.

And guess what?

The fact that many against healthcare or any change are loosing.
    As they cannot defend their reason against change so resort to violence to get people to side with them.

Not because they are 'right'.
    But because they will hurt you if you don't agree.

• I didn't believe the "polls"
    March 26, 2010 8:16 a.m.

it wasn't at all scientific...it was a bunch of angry people with health insurance answering! But when things cool down some and when people start to look calmly at the things accomplished they will see. The small business owner will see the benefit on their taxes. The individual will start to really look at the issues with the health insurance that they have and see it wasn't as good as they thought...and the people without any (like me) will start to feel secure when they get a plan.
    Your fear won't win...fear never does.

• re: Marie Divine
    March 25, 2010 10:08 p.m.

Try going back to the first post on this thread and substituting the word "law" for "insurance." The legal industry is far more corrupt than the insurance biz.

Who else is there to help people sue McDonalds for dumping hot coffee into their own laps or suing the city of New York for not stopping their son from jumping in front of a subway. And these people actually win!

Overhaul the legal system and everything else will work itself out!

• Re: And do you think ...
    March 25, 2010 9:47 p.m.

"Yeah, you guys are more of fighters in the fields, but we're not...and also we are winning and will continue to do so."

I wouldn't call 70% against your health bill a win. Sooner or later, if you continue to force your way upon people, it will spill into the battlefield. You can only take away people's rights, freedom and money for so long.

• Democracy and visionaries
    March 25, 2010 9:44 p.m.

Look at the great minds and visionaries of America (Joseph Smith and Martin Luthur King) and they all die young. Our country does not like anything new and we never have. Few people in our country read and few have been to college. Yes, that is changing but it will take time. The great thing about our country is you can vote for anyone you want to. It will all work out; we just need hope.

• And do you think that we'll
    March 25, 2010 11:51 a.m.

battle in the fields or continue to battle with our minds? I would say in this day and age it will continue to be that (except for the threats that some right-wingers give us and the brick throwers) Yeah, you guys are more of fighters in the fields, but we're not...and also we are winning and will continue to do so.

• Re; Anon
    March 24, 2010 11:38 p.m.

"Civil war will break out within 5 years.
    Is that a threat?"

Not so much a threat as a prediction. I could easily see myself across the battlefield from liberals. And I know many others who feel the same.

• Don't generalize too much
    March 24, 2010 8:20 p.m.

When people say Democrats and Liberals are lazy bunms, they are not saying that every individual is a lazy bum. We all know there are some liberals who work. It's like saying that all Utah fans are classless. There are a lot of good fans out there, but in general they have a bad reputation for a reason, and it's not just one or two.

Fact: Many liberals are, as described, rather lazy. Not all. But probably most. I lived in Chicago for a couple of years. I can honestly say that in general, liberals are lazy and would prefer to be spoon-fed by the government.
    Now please don't say, "Well, I'm liberal and I have a job, so your statement is false!". We believe you when you say you have a job and truly can't afford health care. We are talking about liberals collectively, not individually. Republicans don't say welfare shoudln't exist. They say that if you aren't willing to work, you don't deserve help. Democrats say, "If you don't have money, you deserve it", with few conditions. That's that in a nutshell.

• Re: Mike | 4:48 a.m
    March 24, 2010 7:32 p.m.

"If Republicans really cared about fixing the health care problem they would have done it from 1994-2006 when they had total control of the house, senate and whitehouse"

Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike--you obviously did not qualify as a member of MENSA or you like to rewrite history.

Here is something that you obviusly forgot to consider.

William Jefferson Clinton, a Democrat, was President from Jan 20 1993-Jan 20 2001.

"Republicans don't know how to fix anything without first lining thier own pockets and those of their friends"

This statement is a joke-and a poor one at that. If you were even remotely honest and aware of what is going on, you would know that Obama has been on the take from the likes of FANNY & FREDDY among a long list of others.

I hope that you are actually a troll, because most self respecting libs would be insluted by the tripe that you have written. If not, the collective public in the state where you attended school should demand a refund because you were obviously a no show for a good portion of your K-12 years.

• Re: Anonymous | 5:06 a.m
    March 24, 2010 7:20 p.m.

"Republican't Party Hates Families"

This statement is blatantly ludicrous and has no validity or meaning in this discussion.

"The Republicant's want to see that every American Family fails through Bankruptcy and America itself too"

This statement is ludicrous, fallacious and has no basis in reality or fact. Do you actually believe this?

"Top 6 reasons for bankruptcy in order from a study completed at Harvard University"

These types of studies are always interesting and of questionable validity and accurracy. Rarely if ever do the researchers do anything but take the word of the study particpants for the reasons that a given subject files for bankruptsy, and rarely are people truly honest about why they actually file bankruptsy.

Unless these studies includes an indepth five year plus review of the subjects finances, their findings will always be suspect. BTW did you read the actual study? or just a regurgitation?

This statement is so ludicrous, so blatantly false, and so lacking in intellecutaly honesty that it warrants no comment other than this comment is the result of brainwashing.

• Re: Succession Plan | 2:45 p.m.
    March 24, 2010 4:22 p.m.

I'm with you but I'm afaid we face an even greater threat than the liberals. I've been contacted by Blork from the planet Nimrod and he says they are planning on invading even before our government can assure everyone access to health care. They have already been here for some time (built pyamids and stuff) but now is their time.

Wait....I think I hear the ghost of George Washington speaking to me telling me that we've got to get underground before that socialist communist community organizer destroys the planet. He's one of THEM!!! Run for your lives!!

Think that is silly? I've read some good ones on these message boards in the last two or three days that sound just as far fetched.

I'll make a bet with you. I'll bet that the good 'ol US of A is going to be just fine, even as we make sure the insurance companies can no longer take advantage of us and the least of us have the care they need. If the union falls apart because of this I'll buy you a Mt. Dew. Sound good?

March 24, 2010 3:20 p.m.

It sounds like you need a public option then. Hmmm, who suggested that when they were initially trying to pass this bill?

• To "Whoooo
    March 24, 2010 3:10 p.m.

I don't "sit on my butt" while others pay my bills. I am a hard worker, but can't afford health insurance. I am not offered it through my work and neither is my spouse (small business). This bill will help us despite short signed people. I'm sure there are people that "sit on their butt"...but they do that anyway regardless of the bill. And I don't judge those people. Many times there is a valid reason such as their health or other situation. It's amazing that people that would otherwise profess to be Christian are not at all when it comes to this issue.

March 24, 2010 3:00 p.m.

Succession Plan

stop watching Glen Beck.

• Succession Plan
    March 24, 2010 2:45 p.m.

I agree the sides are becoming more and more polarized. But what I can see revealing itself is an entire left-wing Socialist-Progressive "machine" that is now feeling its oats and empowered. These are people dedicated to undoing Capitalism and instituting Socialism, control, and want to move towards one-world government with such tings as one world currency. Obama is on You Tube talking about major income redistribution, and "fundamentally changing" america; he surrounds himself with Saul Alinsky "Rules for Radicals" people. He isn't even coy about it. It's blatant. So, yes-- the cultural wars, the political wars -- are becoming more and more pointed. The media is largely on the lefts' side. The North east, California are left-leaning progressive centers. The heartland is conservative. Why don't we partitio the country; socialists in the North east and everything on West coast from San Fransisco north. Maybe North East can be subsumed into Canada, west coast too. Leave the rest of America for the level-headed, hard working productive class, and leave the progressive enclaves to rot under progressive cultural and economic regression of the natural order of things, and presumably, with no military they disdain.

March 24, 2010 1:21 p.m.

Why didn't the right wing care about debt at all?
    US healthcare bill? $938 billion.
    US wars with Iraq and Afgahnistan? $940 billion.

Why the outrage over something that will help Americans...
    but no outrage for wars we still cannot justify?

• Re: Honest q's for Obama Support
    March 24, 2010 12:48 p.m.

I AM concerned about the costs. What I haven't yet heard on Fox News is a discussion about the marginal costs associated with this legislation. It isn't as if we aren't already paying for health care and the new $940 billion is something new. We are currently paying between $800 billion to $1 trillion dollars for the same time frame depending on whose estimates you use.

The new legislation is expensive, no doubt. I have two things to say about it. First, we already pay more than any industrialized country per capita for health care for quality that isn't substantially different from the core EU nations (anecdotes of dying grandmas aside; only fact). Second, it is a matter of priorities. I for one think healthcare and education are the most important areas of focus. If we have a healthy and educated population the economy will take care of itself. If either of these things is missing we lose out.

I'd prefer shrinking the military by half keeping only a defensive capability that would bring us into line with the rest of the developed world.

I'm willing to pay for my family's health.

• VF
    March 24, 2010 11:26 a.m.

What you see below here is the incredible trash that we have received currently from President Obama and while it could cause our great nation to go into another civil war It more likely will be gotten rid of through our Supreme Court. God bless America.

As of now (3/23/2010 @ 2245), the total "US Unfunded Liabilities" figure is at $107.95 Trillion, or $349,453 for every man, woman, and child in this country.
    Here's the baseline debt figure for every man, woman, and child in this country:

Date Amount Change From Previous
    ======= ======= =================
    3/23/2010 $349,453 $1,141
    2/21/2010 $348,312

• Anonymous
    March 24, 2010 11:06 a.m.

"Vote Democrat-- it's easier than working"

Do you realize that since the health care bill passed the DNC has received spontaneous contributions of $2million? Without any fund raising effort on their part.

Where do you suppose the Dems who refuse to work for a living got their hands on 2million disposable dollars?

• Re: AndyDad
    March 24, 2010 10:48 a.m.

Why does the left wing suddenly not worry about the national debt now that Obama is sending this nation plummeting into debt? Oh. . I know why.

Because they are hypocrites.

Now to deal with the economy. What indications are there that it is coming back? The 10% unemployment rate? And if this health care bill will give health care to those without it, then what motivation is there to get a job? The jobless already get "welfare" money from the government. Now they get health care, but since they rely on welfare, they don't pay taxes. They get all those benefits! On the other hand, those employed are being denied their current health care and are now paying higher taxes (especially after this bill comes into effect). The rich people are getting taxed a ton, but it is the rich who provide the employees with a paycheck and health care! Obama is punishing the working people and rewarding the unemployed! No wonder the unemployment rate is so high, and it will get higher! THIS IS NOT SUSTAINABLE!

"Vote Democrat-- it's easier than working". Sadly, this is soooooooo true. R.I.P America (thanks to Obama).

• Anonymous
    March 24, 2010 10:34 a.m.

Civil war will break out within 5 years.

Is that a threat?

• don't worry so much,
    March 24, 2010 10:32 a.m.

the wingnuts will calm down eventually.

This kind of extremism happened when Carter got elected and when Clinton got elected. Granted, it's a bit more vitriolic because we have a BLACK democrat in office, but it will calm down in a while.

When liberals get elected, the kooks come out...

• AndyDad
    March 24, 2010 10:11 a.m.

Since when does the right wing worry about the national debt? Why didn't they complain when Reagan, Bush and Bush the Dope sent this nation plummeting into debt? Oh. . I know why.

Because they are hypocrites.

• You Read it here first
    March 24, 2010 9:24 a.m.

Civil war will break out within 5 years. Not because of healthcare. Because of the polarized nation with two extremes unwilling to make compromises. We have nothing in common anymore.

Just reading the hate in these comments from both sides, I can see greater conflict that will lead to either another civil war and/or succession by some of the states.

Democrats, stop gloating and learn how to reach out.
    Republicans, stop whining and be willing to make a few compromises.

Otherwise, it's over.

• Honest q's for Obama Supporters
    March 24, 2010 8:54 a.m.

All I seem to hear from you guys is how this bill will help so many people, but none of you are addressing the price tag. You seem to ignore everyone that brings it up.

How does an extra trillion not bother you considering our massive debt and the terrible state of the economy?

Also, how will the government reward me for selecting jobs which pay less, but provide better health care? It seems that those who chose higher-paying jobs without health care are being rewarded at my expense.

Obamacare supporters - please answer these questions without deflecting.

• RE:The economy | 7:12 a.m.
    March 24, 2010 8:53 a.m.

What are your sources that the economy is "coming back fairly strong"? Where I live, houses are not selling, businesses are closing their doors and people are struggling to make ends meet. This does not signal to me that the economy has improved. I hope for it to improve but hoping and ignoring reality does not make it so.

• Whooowhoo!
    March 24, 2010 8:11 a.m.

Yes! Now I can force my grandchildren and others to pay for my healthcare while I sit on my butt and be lazy, irreponsible and unaccontable for my bad choices. Thank you Obama, you are the greatest! Now where is my free color TV to go along with my free food, my free housing and my free healthcare?

• @anon5:06
    March 24, 2010 8:11 a.m.

Anonymous wants America to fail. Its part of the progressive plan; if we are to fundamentally transform America we must break the system and start over with our marxist ideas. Cloward and Piven, Saul Alinski, Reverend Wright and especially Obama, their best student have waited and planned for a long time for the day when they could break us and then start over. Well, the time has arrived, I hope we don't have too much civil unrest between the moochers and the workers, between the patriots and the commies.

• Canadiandy
    March 24, 2010 8:06 a.m.

Social Justice is just Socialism.

• John Wicks
    March 24, 2010 8:01 a.m.

The radical needs to be impeached!!

• RE: Anonymous | 5:06 a.m.
    March 24, 2010 7:50 a.m.

It is the uninformed liberals like you spouting goofball opinions and bogus generalizations about other people who are a real turnoff for independents who are trying to figure out issues in a logical way. I have disagreements with the Republicans, but I find that they are more rooted in reality than the extreme liberals who will spout anything that makes it into their heads that they think will make their case. Why not use reason and relevant facts to pursuade people to follow your political stance. The mindless, emotional extremism and lies about the other party has made me not want to be identified with either major party, but make independent political decisions.

• HMM
    March 24, 2010 7:20 a.m.

For all you Big Government fans, tell us how this is going to have a positive job creation aspect in our times? I'm not sure what the ratio is, but I would assume that for every government job that is created there are probably 2-5 jobs lost in the private sector. Is this worth it? Wealth is not created in the government, it is created by added value jobs in the private sector.

Government Efficiency = Greatest oxymoron ever.

Oh, by the way, who much will "affordable healtcare"
    cost? If a person does not buy insurance by mandate and gets fined $2500, will that fine go against a policy in order to pay it?

• The economy
    March 24, 2010 7:12 a.m.

The economy is coming back fairly strong. This does not help the conservative plan to retake power by being the most negative force since the confederate states.

March 24, 2010 5:06 a.m.

Republican't Party Hates Families. The Republicant's want to see that every American Family fails through Bankruptcy and America itself too.

Top 6 reasons for bankruptcy in order from a study completed at Harvard University.

1. Medical Expenses

2. Job Loss

3. Poor/Excess Use of Credit

4. Divorce/Separation

5. Unexpected Expenses

The Bottom Line

There are many reasons why taxpayers are forced-or choose-to declare bankruptcy. But many times, common sense, sound financial planning and preparation for the future can head off this problem before it becomes inevitable.

The Democrats understood this and took measures to tackle the #1 problem of why America and Americans are going Bankrupt.

The Republican'ts did nothing because they want the country to fail (And continue to get paid for causing it to fail....

Now the Democrats will tackle #2 problem.

Thank you for taking action Democrats.

• Lovely Nancy
    March 24, 2010 5:03 a.m.

Yeah, Nancy Pelosi looks young for 70 because she has a good plastic surgeon, she can afford it because the tax payers pay her salary, mon ey is no object. Wow, maybe I can get plastic surgery in a few years, it must be covered by the new health bill! What a wonderful thing "free" healthcare is going to be! Future generations will handle the black hole of debt that this bill will sink us further into, and our government will control every aspect of life, but hey, if I can get something for nothing, why worry!

• Mike
    March 24, 2010 4:48 a.m.

If Republicans really cared about fixing the health care problem they would have done it from 1994-2006 when they had total control of the house, senate and whitehouse.

Republicans don't know how to fix anything without first lining thier own pockets and those of their friends.

• AndyDad
    March 24, 2010 4:47 a.m.

Right wing America has lost again. Same team, different coaches, and they're still losing. It's like watching the Cubs.

They don't appreciate how a black president can do what's best for all Americans. They still want to control it all. What babies!

What's the Tea Party, Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin gonna do now?

March 24, 2010 3:04 a.m.

It seems clear, that this bill and most of the other endeavors of the Obama administration are skillfully and intentionally designed to weaken America. They can't stand America as a place of individual freedom and hope our enemies will soon be able to bring us into submission. Before you dismiss me as crazy of fanatic, think about it. Is treason too strong a word?

• Worried
    March 24, 2010 1:35 a.m.

A few years ago my 50 year old cousin in Norway died of cancer. You cannot make a direct doctor appointment there. Instead, you must make an appointment to make an appointment. Then you wait to be contacted by someone with the power to make an appointment with the doctor for you. She wasn't given an appointment until it was far too late. I suppose that's one way to control costs. Socialized medicine is scary. It's supposed to provide medical care for all. It certainly didn't help my cousin. Is this where we're headed?

• Anonymous
    March 24, 2010 12:52 a.m.

What are all you Americans whining about? So you will get a little fine for not having insurance? big deal! Everyone will have a right to health care now. Talk about selfish. I can't believe all the negativity over a bill, that will actually help everyone in a positive way. Finally someone is looking out for the people. Get a life all you negative republicans!

• jzman
    March 24, 2010 12:48 a.m.

Moderate reasoned approach to healthcare is rejected by Tea Party/Glenn Beck disciples. The facts are ignored in favor of rhetoric. People are entitled to opinions, but not facts. The facts support this action--the crying, screaming and irrationality on the Tea Party side of this are very telling. It is desperate, myopic, and uninformed.

• Stephen Ehat
    March 24, 2010 12:45 a.m.

You now must purchase health insurance because your insurance “substantially affects interstate commerce.” Section 1501 of ObamaCare states: “Health insurance and health care services are a significant part of the national economy. National health spending is projected to increase from $2.5 trillion, or 17.6 percent of the economy, in 2009 to $4.7 trillion in 2019. Private health insurance spending is projected to be $854 billion in 2009, and pays for medical supplies, drugs, and equipment that are shipped in interstate commerce. Since most health insurance is sold by national or regional health insurance companies, health insurance is sold in interstate commerce and claims payments flow through interstate commerce.”

Similarly, therefore, federal law should require us all to eat our vegetables. Food production and consumption are a significant part of the national economy. National foodstuff spending will increase from many billions of dollars, and a large percent of the economy, in 2009 to many more billions in 2019. Spending for meals pays for foods and cooking equipment shipped in interstate commerce. Since most food is sold in national or regional food chains, food is sold in interstate commerce and payments for food therefore flow through interstate commerce.

• BYU alum
    March 24, 2010 12:05 a.m.

Mitt Romney was for the individual mandate, people, back when he was the Mass. guv.

"Some of my libertarian friends balk at what looks like an individual mandate. But remember, someone has to pay for the health care that must, by law, be provided: Either the individual pays or the taxpayers pay. A free ride on government is not libertarian."
    Romney, WSJ editorial 2006

• mark
    March 23, 2010 6:44 p.m.

Republicans who were united in NOT lifting s finger to provide a single American with healthcare...thanks for NOTHING.
    Red states attempting to legally challenge the healthcare reform:
    ASK all your constituents whether they want you to
    TAKE away 21-26yo on their parents insurance?
    Take away the closing of Senior's doughnut holes in Medicare D?
    Take away the tax breaks for small businesses buying employee's insurance?
    Take away the pre-exisiting condition clause?
    Take away the caps insurance companies had on certain diseases?

YOU will lose when you take these items away, and you know it.

• over reaction
    March 23, 2010 5:46 p.m.

This is still about losing power due to Bush Administration. Is the only solution to paint yourself in a corner?

• Isn't she lovely
    March 23, 2010 5:16 p.m.

Nancy is so lovely - I could just break out in song. And this lovely lady has done so much for our country lately too. Of course she is also responsible for the darkest and most debaucherous piece legislation ever to be forced upon the American people in 200 years.

March 23, 2010 5:04 p.m.

I am amazed at the comments here blaming FOX news and hating Republicans.

Have you people even read the bill and know its contents? Or are you actually believing ABC and NBC and Obama and Pelosi that it will be good for you. Most of the members of Congress never even read the bill. They went on the word of Pelosi that it was good for America. I heard a clip of her somewhere the other day saying that she had not read it, but let's pass it and then we will figure it out. If you people think this is a good thing you must be drunk. And to the Mom saying your missionary daughter will be covered, that doesn't come into effect until after 2014. Pre-existing conditions - that is only for children. It also provides the Dept. of Health will be determined what insurance companies will cover. If you are so in favor sit down and read the 2,700 plus pages and then post how wonderful the bill is.

March 23, 2010 4:47 p.m.

The sad thing is there are people that actually believe they are going to get free health care under this bill. The insurance you now have will go up, you have to buy insurance or pay a fine, taxes are going up, Medicare is being cut and it does nothing to cut the "cost" of health "care". So what part of this do people think is free? This is the biggest scam that has ever been pulled.

States are already broke and this bill dumps more people into Medicaid with no money to the states to pay for it. Good for the states for suing. I hope the courts declare the bill unconstitutional.

• Utah's Reps
    March 23, 2010 4:43 p.m.

I want to give a shout out to Utah's representatives who stood on the right side of the healthcare debate. They all correctly voted "no", including one wise democrat, and did not betray the trust of their constituents. If only the rest of the representatives would have had the moral courage to do the same thing...

• Britta
    March 23, 2010 4:43 p.m.

I have lived 23 years in Denmark who has Socialized medicine, and trust you me when I say that "The Land Of The Free" is no longer free!!!
    Something has to pay for all this "Free" care that some of you think we need, and that will be the working class' tax dollars. Expect a tax increase!
    The waiting list for a simple operational procedure is outrageously long, and tens of thousands of people are forced to live a life on heavy dozed of pain medications, until hopefully one day they can get their surgeries. By then they are pain-med addicts!!!
    Obama has just ensured that The Great America got Socialized!!! SHAME ON YOU, OBAMA, AND SHAME ON THE AMERICAN PEOPLE WHO SUPPORT THIS.
    The way I see it...I choose to put children in this world, and it is MY responsibility to take care of them...not the governments!

• Just call me Mad!
    March 23, 2010 4:41 p.m.

$938,000,000,000/32,000,000 people = $29,312.50 per person. I want that health plan! I know my total health costs for my whole family don't exceed that is several years. Insurance companies and government inefficiency will certainly be well funded!

• Pull Barry
    March 23, 2010 4:35 p.m.

You're right. It's a start. When any politican attempts to and succeeds at taking over 1/6 of the nation's economy with "a start" of a bill, then we have a lot of good things to look forward to, don't we? I can only imagine in m worst nightmare what the country will look like when the dog says, "ok, Nance, I'm done. How 'bout you? Harry? Anything more you'd like?" What a watershed day that will be!

• KM
    March 23, 2010 4:34 p.m.

Wrong on every count. This bill gaurentees that 300 million people will have poor health care if any at all. This bill will cost 10 times as much as is purported. This bill included so much more than health care; government takeover of student loans to name one.
    I hope that you foolish progressives are half as prepared as the conservatives for the comming transformation of America that Obama promised. Weather you are or not, I'm sure the conservatives will show compassion on you and ease your burdens through true charity, not the government forced charity to which you so religiously subscribe.
    ps. take a look at Glenn Becks program tonite and tell me he doesn't make more sense than the spiritual marxist advisors of our president.

March 23, 2010 4:31 p.m.

socialism here we come.

• I am a Communist.
    March 23, 2010 4:30 p.m.

And a Socialist.
    And a Fascist.
    And every other epithet Tea Partyites and Fox News Believers hurl.

That's me! I'm the boogeyman, and I'm coming to get all your reeeeeal Americans.....
    Get your guns....

I am a Socialist. La la la la.
    Ooooo! I am a Communist!! La la.
    I'm also a Faaaaascist!!

• We need Health reform
    March 23, 2010 4:22 p.m.

The republicans were remiss in not advancing some form of health reform when they were in power. One of several reasons they were ousted. But instead of change the Democrat controlled government has brought bad government and irresponsible spending to a whole new level. THIS BILL DOES NOTHING TO CONTROL COSTS. Insurance companies and pharmaceudicals (who will now get gov't subsidies) have a huge windfall. Everyone has to buy insurance now and with government imposed provisions, premiums will go way up; and still no interstate competition. At least the GOP would have allowed market forces to lower costs of health care. If the goal was to provide for those who can't afford insurance, that could have been done at a fraction of the cost of this one trillion dollar bureaucratic monster. That should tell you, independently thinking public, that this really isn't about helping the poor at all. It is about control of all the American people. Please take off your partisan glasses and see this for what it is!

• show 'em how its done
    March 23, 2010 4:18 p.m.

Liberals stand for reform and progress.
    Way to go liberals!

March 23, 2010 4:01 p.m.

Thank you, Obama, for doing in 2 years...

what Bush could not do in Eight.

• forty
    March 23, 2010 3:55 p.m.

Utah, turn off the Antichrist Glenn Beck and you will be much happier. Me goodness, we are paying for the uninsured every time they walk into an emergency room. And for all of you hateful people, this will start the documentation process of everyone that is in the country without permission. Read the bill, before you open your mouth.....FOX news isn't even close to correct on this one.......

• Remember the....
    March 23, 2010 3:54 p.m.

jab Obama made to the Supreme Court during his state of the union speech? There will be payback for that insult....just wait and see.

Oh by the way...for all of you who did not do so well in U.S. History in school, there are three co- equal branches of government. Our system is not ran by one person or a handful of self-annointed do gooders.

March 23, 2010 3:52 p.m.

Look at the shape Medicare and social security are in. The federal government has run them in the ground and now they want to be over an even bigger insurance program? Wait until businesses hire less people since they will be forced to get insurance for them or small businesses will close because they can't make it under this insurance plan. How about higher insurance premiums for smokers, oveweight or other bad lifestyle choices? Oh Pres. Obama you need to pay more! I work in a nursing home and it is amazing people on oxygen who go outside to smoke! And they are on medicaid and we pay for they care! People need to take ownership of their health and lives, not the government!

• Re: You are beautiful Nancy
    March 23, 2010 3:50 p.m.

What!? Pelosi's one of the most despicable, tyrannical, hypocritical, people in this country. What ever gave you the grand delusion that Obama is Pro-Life? He has openly expressed his Pro-Choice views and wants to make abortions free for everyone? Your "beautiful" Pelosi feels the same way.

to: Hlth Ins 4 missionaries: " . .health care in the U.S. . . is not available to most Americans." That is just plain false! 85-90 % are insured. I am a doctor and I know for a fact that the uninsured and insured alike get seen and taken care of. There are already laws that require that. With regard to mortality--that is not a measure of quality of healthcare, let alone remotely accurate. You have been listening to your buddy Michael Moore too much.

Every one of you posers (excuse me, I mean posters) that think health care is better where it is socialized have not lived in a country where socialized medicine exists. Well, I have and I can tell you that the quality in terms of access and availability is literally decades behind the U.S.

• Arnold J. Toynbee
    March 23, 2010 3:29 p.m.

"Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder."

• Health Insurance 4 Missionaries
    March 23, 2010 3:20 p.m.

My daughter leaves on a mission in three weeks. I am pleased that the new legislation allows us to keep her on our insurance policy up to age 26. We had worried about what would happen when she turns 23 next summer on her mission and still has more college left after she returns.

Every advanced free democracy except the US has at least some sort of national health insurance, if not a more government-involved system (like the Veterans Administration health system--in which the doctors are actually government employees). In ALL of those 30+ countries, their citizens live longer than Americans and infant mortality is lower than in the US. The best health care in the US is the best in the world, but it is NOT available to most Americans.

I know that the mention of the situation in "other countries" poisons the argument for many people who want to believe that everything is always better in American. But, if you look at levels of health in the rest of the free world, you will see that we are FAR from the top. 35th in life expectancy. 33rd in infant mortality. We are NOT the best.

• Numbers...
    March 23, 2010 3:18 p.m.

80% of Americans opposes this bill.

And 90% of numbers are made up on the spot.
    The only thing I care about is that my insurance keep me for when I get sick.

That, has now changed.

Thank you Mr. Obama.

• Brian
    March 23, 2010 3:13 p.m.

Please site source of 938 billion dollars... cannot find it.

• Our Inheritance
    March 23, 2010 2:58 p.m.

After eight years of Bush in the White House, no wonder, Republicans are so scared. Eight years drinking the Kool-Aid of fear,suspicion and paranoia.
    Now you can relax.....Communism and socialism are not part of the Obama agenda. Those are lies from your Republican leaders.
    The Health Bill is good for you, for all Republicans and Democrats,me, and the whole country.
    I'm sorry to be patronizing, but, you are really acting...how to say it? not very smart.
    Today is a good day to celebrate.

• Capt. Smash
    March 23, 2010 2:52 p.m.

All you GOP Rethuglican supporters the big question I have is this:

If you are all so worried about the cost of this health care bill do realize your hero GWB gave the Iraqi’s free health care. So you are telling Americans do not deserve good health care like the Iraqis. The Iraq war cost our country 2 trillion in American Tax Payer Money and over 4000 American lives. None of you have any room to talk about fiscal responsibly, no room what’s so ever. Someone should go to jail over the lies told; to go to war with Iraq. That will turn out to be the greatest crime of this century!

• You are beautiful Nancy
    March 23, 2010 2:52 p.m.

Wow, a 70 year old lady is not only Speaker of the House but also one of the most beautiful people in our country, is this country great or what???? I also applaud and thank our former governer Leavitt for he also truly wants health care for all. In fact, can't we all agree that we all want health care for all????????? We all agree on that. Fewer people are smoking and anyone over age 40 knows drinking isn't good for the body; we are becoming healthier and thanks to science (and miracles) we are attacking disease better. I like Obama because I don't think people should have to declare bankruptcy just from having kids born. Obama is pro-life just as I believe all of our president have been.

• Isaiah 10:2
    March 23, 2010 2:39 p.m.

Woe...to them that take away the right from the poor of my people. What right was Isaiah talking about??? I don't exactly know, but we know poor people get trampled on time and time again. It will take 3 branches of government to turn this around, so plan on that never happening. I can see GOP candidate running for president in 2012 while also sueing the USA, that will be one smooth candidacy. Some DEMS may go down to defeat, but this law will stand and be added upon. Before the GOP ever gets power again, they will have to offer alternative plan, and that is something we are all waiting to see. Because of what Obama did today, we will now have extra money in future for tax cuts and war if we need it. If we did not act, we no longer afford anything. You got to love Isaiah and Nephi.

• re: Meke
    March 23, 2010 2:33 p.m.

What planet are you living on dude? Have you ever been to any Europeon country (that has sold their souls to socialism)? And lived there for any extended period of time, and no, 2 week vacations do not count. The whole system is a total disaster...I lived in England for 18 months back in the 1980's, and saw socialize medicine at its' worst. One close friend had cancer in one of his legs, that require aputation (sp?). After waiting 6 long months to have this procedure performed, had a crack-pot Dr accidently remove his good leg, then of course the bad one as well leaving this poor sod a "stump" if you will. This medical incompetence was a direct result of a gov't funded health care that our loser, left wing idiots from the Democratic side of the isle just signed into law. Congratulations to signing all of us up to becoming dirt poor, without the right to live our own lives, and kissing our already depleated resources to a bunch of mindless idiots who were only trying to save face from the debacle this first year has been...they've just commited political suicide!!!

• Lefty
    March 23, 2010 2:28 p.m.

A sad day for left-handers when one of their own signs such an affront to the constitution.

• For those about to jump
    March 23, 2010 2:28 p.m.

For those who are about to jump off a cliff because you feel this will ruin the country... Well the good news is... you're covered!

• Not sure but willing to see
    March 23, 2010 2:27 p.m.

I'm not sure how this new policy will play out, BUT I'm willing to give it a chance. For decades both parties have attempted some form of change or reform. They have given the caretakers of the health industry plenty of opportunities to fix the problems. Because of their own failures the gov't was forced to do something. Again, I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but I'm willing to see what happens. I wish more Americans were willing to do the same!!! Are we that afraid of our own small piece of the American Dream pie? I have been without health insurance and now have it. I can see both sides of the arguement. Like Voltaire, I'm willing to be tolerant towards new ideas until proven false.... or perhaps, proven true!

• Fooled!
    March 23, 2010 2:24 p.m.

Obama lied and fooled most of the people once but he and Pelosi will not fool many of the people in November.

• Capt. Smash
    March 23, 2010 2:23 p.m.

I am so proud of President Obama I am glad I voted and campaign for this man. He has proven to be one of hardest working Presidents since LBJ. I now a lot of you GOP supporters think the whole world is going to fall apart. However, this man cares so much for people who do not have a voice when it comes to big corporations. Most of you judging by your comments do not even know how the bill is going to improve your lives.

I talk to a women yesterday her husband can’t get insurance he has diabetes the insurance company always denies him coverage. Amazingly she and husband are self-employed and she is real worried her husband is going to get sick. This health care plan will really help them.

I just wish you conservatives would open your own eyes instead of repeating everything here from Doug Wright, Limpballs and Fox News.

• I'm So Proud
    March 23, 2010 2:04 p.m.

I walked to campaign for Obama, I talked to campaign for Obama, I put my money where my mouth was and today he made me VERY PROUD to be a patriotic American. Thank you President Obama, Rep Nancy Pelosi, And my undying respect for Rep Harry Reid. You will go down in history as true Americans.

• Sweet
    March 23, 2010 2:03 p.m.

This is a great idea...now how much more are we in debt. This isn't a game of golf...we are not trying to have the highest "in the hole" score. When Obama looks back at his presidency, what will he point to...probably HIS healthcare plan which puts US further in debt. Who's going to fix the economy? If I had a choice in priorities, our health care problems do not outweigh the now worsened economic struggles.

At least our kids will be healthy while they are in debt. The bad side is a competitive job market will lead to people physically destroying their bodies to save their jobs and be noticed.

I feel Obama's changes are "NOW, NOW, NOW" with disregard to the consequences they bare.

Health care reform is needed...this bill was not the answer.

• Re: Elephantitis | 1:38 p.m
    March 23, 2010 2:03 p.m.

First off, how many votes did Obama need from Repubicans in both houses to get Obamacare passed? Second, how many times did the Rep party fillibuster during the process of passing Obamacare? Third, do not parrot the liberal talking heads, and specify which lies the Reps told and prove that they are infact lies?

Last but not least, please state how many pages of the current version of the Bill that you have read prior to your post and then explain why the president who promised transparency and a five day waiting period before a bill is signed into law openly lied to the American people and why you are your ilk are letting him get away with it.

Denial is not a river in Egypt it is a disease that has infected the cult of Obama

• GG
    March 23, 2010 2:02 p.m.

How long before they start complaining about all the people who still aren't covered under this bill?

• good and bad
    March 23, 2010 2:00 p.m.

This bill certainly has some good and bad in it but I dont think it will be repealed. As I understand it that would take a 2/3 vote in congress and even if the Dem's take a blood bath at midterm its unlikely there will be enough votes for a repeal. It seems we as a people need to come to understand the parts that can be changed to create a more positive process because its unlikely its going away anytime soon.

• Hey Fox News believers,
    March 23, 2010 2:00 p.m.

the Socialists are coming to get youuuuu!
    The Communists are taking over!
    Oh, I almost forgot, so are the Fascists!

Your idiocracy has been postponed. Film at 11.

• Casey
    March 23, 2010 1:59 p.m.

Okay okay, While I am for health care reform, can someone please explain why a government that SCREWED UP & BANKRUPTED the postal service, social security and med-care will magically transform itself and run health care smoothly and efficiently? Waiting...waiting... yeah that's what I thought-

I also wonder how many people that are so happy this bill passed have actually used national health-care in other countries and thought that the LONGER LINES and SUB PAR service was anywhere near the health care they got in the US. Waiting...waiting... that's what I thought.

Here's another huge thought. Who is going to fit the bill when the wealthy people in the US(they pay the most in taxes by the way) decide that instead of giving what they earned to government they will just move their money outside of the US (This is already starting to happen by the way). Waiting...waiting... that's what I thought. Higher taxes for all.

This all sounds like such a great idea. I'm so glad that it passed.

• Re:Hallelujah! | 1:30 p.m
    March 23, 2010 1:57 p.m.

Your implied ad homenin arguments, lables and sterotyping add nothing to this debate, but they do fully manifest your ignorance and bigotry.

The fact that a sitting US president openly lied to the American people and was exposed for his lies in the process of forcing Obamcare upon us means nothing to you. First, this bill in the form that was passed by both houses did not recieve the promised 5 day period for review before Obama signs it. Lie #1. Second, Obama promised total transparency yet CSPAN and the American people were denied the chance to view all discussions, debates, and negotiations(more accurately money for votes deals). Lie # 2. Obama promised that he would not sign a bill that was not deficit nuetral, and then finances Obamacare through a ponze scheme to hide the huge financial burden that Obamacare is going to place on the backs of the tax payers.

Here is something else that is repugnant to anyone who cares to really think about what Obama has done. Threats (were taking names) made to those who do not vote for Obamacare. Senators and Reps are to represent their voting consituents-not bown down to the President.

• Jim in Texas
    March 23, 2010 1:56 p.m.

Why do you think we are told so much about the King's men, the secret combinations and the Gadianton Robbers? Mormon had seen our day and knew we needed to be able to identify them when they would come among us.

• CB
    March 23, 2010 1:45 p.m.

Biden's (deleted) comment on this bill, is truly what the Democratic party has done to the America people. If so many people are dying because of the lack of health care, why is it not going into effect immediately. Does this show that the Democrats are truly heartless and uncaring? Why not now?

• Elephantitis
    March 23, 2010 1:38 p.m.

The poor republicans. All of their constant lies, misrepresentations and filibustering couldn't prevent the health care bill from getting signed. This is a grand day for the American people!

• unbelievable
    March 23, 2010 1:37 p.m.

None of you faux news sycophants need to worry, once Obama locks us up in concentration camps made out of FEMA trailers and indoctrinates us to the communist way, everything will be just fine. You'll see!

• Hallelujah!
    March 23, 2010 1:30 p.m.

Obama held out against Fox News and their minions.

We will defend this country against the fascist Fox News believers to the last one of us.

The country is under attack from Fox News. Brace yourselves for all out war!

• anonymous
    March 23, 2010 1:23 p.m.

I think that ignorance was a great tool for the democrats. If the American People don't know what's in the bill, then who, besides the people who read and listen, will stop the bill? If you want socialism, then please move to canada. America was the greatest healthcare system in the world until two days ago.

• Think again people!
    March 23, 2010 1:22 p.m.

“The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of “liberalism”, they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened. I no longer need to run as a Presidential Candidate for the Socialist Party. The Democrat Party has adopted our platform.” Norman Mattoon Thomas, Socialist Party candidate, 1944.

• Hold on to your wallet!
    March 23, 2010 1:20 p.m.

"Most Americans will for the first time be required to carry health insurance – through an employer, through a government program or by buying it for themselves. Those who refuse will face penalties from the IRS."

Now, that's flat unconstitutional!

"The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office said the bill awaiting Obama's signature would cut federal budget deficits by an estimated $143 billion over a decade."

OK, let's see. It now covers 32 million Americans that didn't have coverage before, and we'll reduce the deficit by #143 billion? Yeah, right!

What really upsets me the most, is that the people going along with this fiasco, couldn't care less about the constitutional violations, or the impact it will have on everyone. The costs can do nothing but go up! This is a "first step to an eventual single payer system" that will be controlled and run by the government" - Obama's words, not mine.

• The TRUE Breakdown
    March 23, 2010 1:10 p.m.

Obama is at war against America and American ideals. 80% of Americans opposes this bill. The American Dream used to be that a person would be able to WORK to make a good living. Now, the way to make a good living is to reject job offers and get as many benefits as possible while remaining unemployed. The mantra "Vote Democrat: it's easier than working" is becoming more true than it has ever been. In the past, you had to work in order to get money, get food, and to get insurance. Now, the Democrats are devising a way to get all these without ever getting a job! On top of that, they don't have to pay taxes!

Sooooo, for those who DO have a job, not only are they punished with actual work to do, but they pay taxes. And now, they pay EVEN MORE taxes to pay for those lazy bums who do not want to get a job. (Note: I do realize that some people can't work, but that is what TRUE welfare is for)

Gone is the American Dream. Obama is winning the war, which means America is losing.

• Ben H.
    March 23, 2010 1:07 p.m.

Time to light up a Camel in celebration of good health.

• twisted reality
    March 23, 2010 1:06 p.m.

I think these boards have spun off into the twilight zone, the comments just get more bizaar by the minute.

• George
    March 23, 2010 1:05 p.m.

You know after serving in Afghanistan, I saw a lot money being thrown at the Afghan government, there is alot money in our US government. 8 trillion dollars was spent on two wars, rebuilding their economy (Iraq and Afghanistan), training Afghan and Iraqi Soldiers. Yes, I think we can spend 1 trillion dollars on AMERICANS for the next 10 years. Why do people object on saving American lives but we supported George Bush for going to war. You know who ever is President, Republican or Democrat, we need to support him. Every LDS president has express their support for the US president (including President Obama), why can't the People of Utah support this President. I always see the President and especially Michelle Obama receiving gifts from the church for family values not communist values.

• YAY!
    March 23, 2010 1:02 p.m.

• It's about over!
    March 23, 2010 12:48 p.m.

The middle class has just about had it! Why don't the leaders of the Mormon church ever have any comments about what's going on in the government?

• George
    March 23, 2010 12:47 p.m.

You know if Martin Luther King Jr was alive today, he would be happy. This is not only a health care bill, it is a victory for civil rights. People who are against this bill need to visit a emergency room. You have all these people who get hurt, are sick, and dying. Yes, you can say "I'm healthy I do not need health insurance" but what if you get into an accident and what if you get cancer at age 25 (yes healthy people get cancer too). How are you going to pay for it?

• @To the DEMS-you own it !
    March 23, 2010 12:43 p.m.

right the economy has only been stuck for the past year and a half......what planet have you been on? I guess we should have come to expect lies from the right thats about all they have left.

• Tell me
    March 23, 2010 12:42 p.m.

Why are medical costs so high in the first place? I always here the excuse that it's because of people that don't pay and malpractice insurance. Maybe instead of health care reform we need lawyer reform.

• Meke
    March 23, 2010 12:40 p.m.

Abuse of power!! We can't afford this!! It will divide the nation!! Our children will be paying for this!! We're losing our freedoms and liberties!! Get this clown out of office!! All of this is what I was saying in 2003 at the start of the Iraq War and as a result of fascist laws like the Patriot Act.

Where were the tea(partiers) then?

We've finally joined the ranks of the developed world by assuring adequate health care for our fellow citizens. I'd hardly call that the end of days. Contrary to the drivel I've read above most of Europe is doing quite well economically and extremely few Europeans would trade places with their American counterparts.

• hold on
    March 23, 2010 12:21 p.m.

Wait a minute what happened? I thought the world was suppose to stop spinning and fall of it axis because of this, where is the end of the world and the second coming the far right promised me? That’s it I am suing too.

• To DEMS - you now own it!!!
    March 23, 2010 12:20 p.m.

Just like the sorry economy that has been stuck in the mud for the past year and half, dem's now also own this health care nightmare and .... the mid term elections are FAST approaching!!!!

• re:Jim in texas
    March 23, 2010 12:17 p.m.

A... I believe it was your heathen brethren that killed all the Indians and the buffalo... best crack open those dusty old history books and do more than just look at the pictures this time!!

• @Outrageous Abuse of Power
    March 23, 2010 12:16 p.m.

thanks for the baseless outrageous rant. not one thing you said has any bases in reality but thanks for playing.

• Howie
    March 23, 2010 12:13 p.m.

RE: Henry Drummond | 10:02 a.m. March 23, 2010

Your definition of courage is having members vote for a bill after being offered political favors in return for their votes. That isn't courage it is a called bribery anywhere outside of Washington DC.

Government controlling health care has already been proven to be a very bad idea. Medicare is a prime example. Only the naive would believe this is a great day for the USA.

Historic things that occur in a corrupt manner aren't historic nor are they good for our country. Every bill that passes in the next several months will have the same elements of arm twisting by Pelosi and crew.

• Tad
    March 23, 2010 12:11 p.m.

It's time to change all elected politicians, Democrat & Republican. Once in power almost every politician thinks that now they are indispensible. And the power alway corrupts.

I propose that all voters use the following criteria from now on, on election day. Only vote for any politician who, when they get in the Senate or the House of Rep. will immediately start pushing for TERM LIMITS. Term Limits are how we get the power back to the people. If every politician knows he or she has a relatively limited time to do what they were sent to Washington to do, then I believe they will try to do the right thing & not just focus on getting elected again. I don't know the exact amount of time for a term to last, but one idea is (2)6 year terms for Senators, and (4-6) 2 year terms for Representatives. No more 40-50 years in congress, it just hasn't worked.

If you agree with the above suggestion then please, share this idea in any way possible. The time has come for real change! Let's take our country back - NOW!

• re:We all take turns celebrating
    March 23, 2010 12:10 p.m.

So you're proud huh? Let's go down the list shall we?

Are you proud of....

1. Tax payer funded abortions which will now open the flood gates to kill millions more children in the most ruthless ways possible? The Hyde amendment is no more thanks to your wonderful pro abortion president.
    2. Back room deals of billions of dollars used to buy off senators and representatives in the most disgraceful way with OUR TAX MONEY! Actually, it is the stimulus money but whose counting. OBama has taken this Chicago style of dirty politics to a whole new level of debauchery.
    3. All the new taxes being forced down the throats of middle class Americans to pay for this 3000 page lump of tyranny. Yes middle class Americans - anyone who owns a business will be hit with the mandated insurance requirements for all their employees PLUS the double whammy of the 250K and above tax. 250K isn'
    t much for any small business to have. This ought to work wonders for the economy don't ya think??
    4. All the transparency that BO promised and then did the opposite.

I will celebrate in November !!!!

• There goes the neighborhood!
    March 23, 2010 12:09 p.m.

Next election will be interesting.

• Anonymous
    March 23, 2010 12:03 p.m.

We have an example of conservatives values. "This is actually great that they can't deny pre-existing conditions. I'm not buying insurance for my family until we have an accident of some sort. That will quickly put insurance companies out of business and we'll all be going to government doctors soon."

I've never known a conservative that wasn't always scamming to get others to pay their tab.

• Outrageous Abuse of Power
    March 23, 2010 12:03 p.m.

Obama and his Democrat co-horts are wresting power from you and me, and it will never be given back. He's forcing us to subsidize illegal aliens and low income people ---under guise of health care, but is really Socialism and income redistribution. It's going to kill millions of jobs, create another entitlement ticking time-bomb, force doctors out of practice leading to poor quality rationing of care, will cause private insurance companies to collapse under weight and debt of new mandates. It is simply the beginning, of the end, for our nation as we know it. I'm so disgusted at the backroom deals, the Corhusker Kickback, gatorade, Louisiana purchase, $100 million hospital for connecticut, excemptions for North Dakota... It's a cmoplete, and utter outrage. They've trampled upon the constitution and due process. If this is "Hope and CHange," people, I'm hoping and praying for MORE CHANGE! Boot the bums out of office!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• BYU grad
    March 23, 2010 11:59 a.m.

Yay! What a wonderful historic day.

Thank you Obama for being willing to stand with Americans and not with Insurance Companies (like the GOP).

No more recision policies. No more exclusions for pre-existing conditions.

It's a great day :-)

• To Brett
    March 23, 2010 11:57 a.m.

I DARE you to move. You have no idea what it's like over there.

• @jim in texas
    March 23, 2010 11:56 a.m.

your right about one thing the "devil is in the details" like the killing of millions of people that already lived on this land "that the Lord caused to be discovered and set apart as a special land in the latter days."

go sale your revisonist history to someone else

• Sad
    March 23, 2010 11:53 a.m.

It is sad to me to read so many comments from people that don't understand that the real danger of this bill is the relinquishing of our freedoms. American can not stand as a republic if we allow our government to dictate. When we look to the government to fix our problems we will fall. America was built on the philosophy that if you are willing to work hard you will reap the rewards. So many people think they are entitled to something without having to work for it. Healthcare is not a right but instead something that has to be worked for.

• To Dixie Dan
    March 23, 2010 11:52 a.m.

Medicare and medicaid are bankrupt. Brought to you by the same people who brought you this 'historic legislation."

• Anonymous
    March 23, 2010 11:52 a.m.

Next on the Socialist Agenda: Cap and TAX! The Government signs into law a bill that allows the Government to enter your home at any time to "inspect" your furnace, water heater, whatever else they dream up. If not in compliance with the "Green Law" you will be fined every day until you are in compliance. And you pay the cost of the inspection? Can't afford a new furnace? Too bad for you... it's the law. This is not a joke this is in the Current House Bill! Pony up Americans. You lose your rights, but you get to pay for everything. Ready to be "Chipped"? Ready for the Government to track your every move?

People who can not see the Guise of these Bills are not very bright. The Constitution and your Freedoms and Rights are being removed.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. -- Thomas Jefferson

• @broken promises
    March 23, 2010 11:51 a.m.

so you are going to purposly try to brake the system and blame it on Obama? that sounds rational.......not!

March 23, 2010 11:49 a.m.

I was looking at alternative ways to pay for my health expenses without having health insurance. In my research I found I and the doctors/nurses would have more control over decisions. The health insurance providers pose restrictions on certain things that could be more beneficial to us than not. As long as the consumer understands the costs and can negotiate, it appears having no insurance is much better. Well, now that plan can no longer exist thanks to Obama and Democrats.

• Gobama
    March 23, 2010 11:46 a.m.

What a leader! His troops were in full retreat earlier this year and he marched onto the battlefield, raised the flag, and won the day.

• Anonymous
    March 23, 2010 11:42 a.m.

I'm already sick! (to my stomach) Repent now and turn to the Lord. We will surely need him.

• what a charming photo
    March 23, 2010 11:41 a.m.

Doesn't it just warm the heart to see one socialist hugging another socialist? Nancy looks so warm and charming doesn't she. I'm sure the radicals are jumping through hoops inside the oval office today - yes sir the first big step toward the destruction of capitalism is in place!!! Hoorah for Marxism!!!! Only one little problem for Barack and his storm troupers... those darn law suits being filed today by the states. Now if all 38 states file then ...oh boy... Houston we have a problem. Actually, Obama has the problem since he is the one attempting to destroy the US constitution and slam the states to the mat.

• @Claus Zimmerman
    March 23, 2010 11:40 a.m.

Nowhere in Christian religion is it taught that the government must regulate the discipleship of Christ's followers, nor did it say we must give our goods to the government so they could distribute them among the needy and distressed. It is actually a person to person exchange, using our right and ability to choose for ourselves.

Obama's new plan= government requires you do it on condition of citizenship.

• Anonymous
    March 23, 2010 11:38 a.m.

We were supposed to be able to read the bill befor it became law as per Obama. It was supposed to take 5 days it took 36 hrs. I do not like being lied to. Now the government has more control then most relize. My grandfather was in WW2 my brother is being shipped to IRAQ. If this is the most important thing he has signed to date, what about all the soldiers in the middle east that are dieing on a daily basis. Were do we rank that? He is a socialist and has a communist member in his cabinet. This is how are freedoms are taken from us. With loud applause from one party. My question, If you love OBAMA go and read his books? Then let me know if you still love him?

• Dixie Dan
    March 23, 2010 11:36 a.m.

To all those who are crying socialism: tell me what part of the Medicare Prescription plan is capitalism and what part is socialism.

• Fred W
    March 23, 2010 11:33 a.m.

After November, the repeal process will get underway!

• The Cicle and Hammer.........
    March 23, 2010 11:32 a.m.

slash and strike again.....thanks liberal's for being so liberal to not accept other ideas and to shove your agenda's and unattainable ideal's into our faces.

• A sad day....
    March 23, 2010 11:28 a.m.

This is a very sad day for those who want freedom without socialism. Very sad.

• Hi Jim in Texas! you will
    March 23, 2010 11:24 a.m.

find a sympathetic ear here in Utah, we're just like Texas (mostly uninformed and full of ourselves).

You say:
    "You will now be fined and/or jailed if you do not buy health insurance"

Are you sure?

Where did you hear this? Could it be......Fox "News"?? You might want to check your source, my friend.

• Thinkin' Man
    March 23, 2010 11:24 a.m.

We cannot afford this.

It will raise health insurance premiums for everyone to cover the costs of those not previously insured.

It raises taxes by creating 100 new federal agencies.

It makes an unconstitutional mandate for individuals to buy private health insurance.

It does nothing to reduce health care costs.

Yes this is Obama's legacy, and it's not good.

• You nauseate me, Mr. Grinch
    March 23, 2010 11:21 a.m.

Does anyone else think Obama's smile in the picture looks like the Grinch's evil smile? Not in the stupid Jim Carey version, but the cool old version, based exactly on the book?

• Anonymous
    March 23, 2010 11:19 a.m.

Once again, I will say that democrats have one thing right about this horrendous bill... it is historic. But "historic" does not always mean "good". Anyone with any knowledge of history would know that.

• Anonymous
    March 23, 2010 11:17 a.m.

Those of you who are celebrating one question please.

How are we going to pay for this? We're broke.

• Anonymous
    March 23, 2010 11:14 a.m.

Barring the other rights we’ve slowly had taken away from us-the right to vote remains intact. Whatever else we succeed in doing about this mess, there is ultimately one very large step we can (and must) take now:

This is just the beginning of our efforts to take back our country. Consider yesterday’s vote a clarion call and a spur to action. We will not let America sink into further debt without a fight. We will not abandon the American dream to government dependency, fewer freedoms and less opportunity. Change is made at the ballot box. If we work together, we can renew our optimistic pioneering spirit, revive our economy, and restore constitutional limits.

Stand tall, America. November is coming!

• Just Wait
    March 23, 2010 11:13 a.m.

We'll remember in November!

Vote them ALL out!

• Jim in Texas
    March 23, 2010 11:13 a.m.

I am reminded that, as recorded in that Book of Mormon, that the Lord caused this land to be discovered and set apart as a special land in the latter days.

Certain moral men were called together to establish a constitution for the governing of this special land, which would provide freedom for the people as long as they lived according to this constitution.

There has been an effort for at least a hundred years by some who call themselves "progressives" to bypass the constitution and slowly rob the people of their freedom bit by bit.

What we saw in the vote on health care is another step in their cause. You will now be fined and/or jailed if you do not buy health insurance and 16,000 new IRS people are being hired and trained to make sure you do, and that's only the beginning of your loss of freedoms in this bill/law.

As they say, "the devil is in the details". I honestly believe that the devil's hand was in the details here as much as it was in the choice the one third made in the pre-mortal world.

• Brother Chuck Schroeder
    March 23, 2010 11:09 a.m.

LISTEN UP PEOPLE. When they file under that class action suit. It'll first create a new Federal Court House in the area of that State who files it, then stuff it full of more Judicial Activist Judges, then build even a larger Government at the same time, to make policy at the Bench, not in Congress. Secondly, if a Family don't want this Healthcare, they'll be fined around $2,400. The way to collect that is like with "Child Support" does. Take a Civil Contempt, twist it around into a Criminal Contempt, threaten you with jail, without Due Process of Law, give you 364 days max in a County Jail, (a full year they would have to then put in prison), they can't do that, until you come up with a "purge" of 10% of that debt, then they'll let you out of the County Jail, to finish paying it off, only after they find out if you had the ability to pay in the first place, and did not pay it. Wre are NOT a "Debtor Prison State", in America, so this is there "loop-hole" they been doing since the 70's.

• Arrogant prez
    March 23, 2010 11:08 a.m.

I had already come to terms with the idea of health care reform becoming law. That it already has Obama’s signature on it after 36 hours (even though we were promised 120) really doesn’t bother me…I knew this day was coming.

How it got passed is what bothers me, as does the degree to which several of our most sacred of Constitutionally-granted rights were soundly mocked and impugned, to varying degrees, along the way.

• As a physician....
    March 23, 2010 11:07 a.m.

I can not see how access to care has been approved.
    So now 30 more million people have insurance cards but it does not mean they will be able to be seen.
    The problem is that physicians will not be able to care for medicare patients if reimbursement continues to get mutilated. An already scheduled 21% medicare reimbursement cut has nothing to due with the "new" medicare cuts to pay for this bill. Primary care physicians are feeling the squeeze already. Graduate numbers will continue to decline.
    Primary care will be done by mid level providers. It is a sad day for health care.

• Oh Please
    March 23, 2010 11:02 a.m.

Obama = Samaritan
    Republicans = "priests and Levites"
    Enuf said.

• Not quite
    March 23, 2010 10:58 a.m.

Oh yay! The government has given health insurance to millions of uninsured Americans.

Slow down there chuckles..not quite. More like the government has told millions of uninsured Americans "Get insurance or we'll fine you". This bill doesn't give the uninsured anything...other than a mandate.

• Anonymous
    March 23, 2010 10:56 a.m.

I will celebrate when this monstrosity is repealed by the new conservative majority in 2010 and 2012.

BTW, if healthcare reform is so great, why isn't congress required to partake?

• Thanks Roger
    March 23, 2010 10:53 a.m.

Glad to see there is someone else with half a brain in this state. Thanks Roger.

• @ Henry Drummond
    March 23, 2010 10:52 a.m.

'This is a great days for America that took uncommon courage to bring about.'

No, more like back-room deals and heavy-handed politics. Uncommon courage is what it will take to recover from this 'great day'

• Claus Zimmermann
    March 23, 2010 10:51 a.m.

Please allow me a simple question: did Jesus Christ not emphasize the care of the poor, the needing, the sick???? should we not - first and foremost - take care of those in distress?? How is it possible to defend a christian point of view putting the interest of insurance companies higher than our next ones???

It is - in my humble opinion - totally narrowminded and out of contact with the reality - to call this law "intolerant" or "socialistic".

• For the right, this has
    March 23, 2010 10:51 a.m.

nothing to do with health care reform or the budget, in actuality.

This is completely about the desire to see Obama fail. Fortunately, the wailing on the right only highlights the extreme capability of Obama to overcome adversity, using his God-given wisdom.

The wingnuts will calm down in time. It sure would help if they turned off Fox "News" though...

March 23, 2010 10:49 a.m.

I am and always will be self pay, I pay less for healthcare than all you with health insurance. Think for a minute if the average family has to pay $500 per month over 12 months that is 6k per year, when the average family sees a doctor only a few times a year.

Now because of this STUPID plan those who are smart with their money and know how the system works are being penalized for saving money and not giving it to the government. What a waste of time and resources for the american people. If youthink the average middle income family is oging to be better off by this then just wait and see this will go down and the catalyst that will end capitalism in America and start the true decline of western civilization into what we all tried to get away from a DICTATOR!

• Jorge
    March 23, 2010 10:46 a.m.

Americans are still in the George W. Bush era of Marie Antoinette, who might have said "let them eat MBNA". That's what too many Americans have to live on yet today-unless they're completely maxed out!

• re: The breakdown: | 10:14 a.m.
    March 23, 2010 10:45 a.m.

You really need to get talking points from someone other than Kieth Olberman

• Broken Promise
    March 23, 2010 10:43 a.m.

Obama promise - "All bills will be posted for 5 days in their final form before I sign them into law."

Final result - 36 hours.

Obamacare: Good news for people who are bad at simple math.

March 23, 2010 10:41 a.m.

this is the stupidest thing ever. I am self pay and love it. I dont pay for more than I need and dont go to the doctor for stupid little things that can be taken care of at home. NOW becauseof this new so called PLAN i am going to be required to pay for everyone elses healthcare....So i am being forced to pay for more for others with no benefits to me. Go ahead and shout for joy middle class idiots, why dont you wake up and smell the disgusting smell of government rule and realize that your future is being flushed down the drain because you allowed it to be.

• fdg
    March 23, 2010 10:39 a.m.

Where was the bill that bama had promised the American people to view and read days befor he signed it? Just one more lie from this man. How can we trust him with our health when he cant let the people read what we are paying for. Even the Insurance industry lets us read what we are buying. he told us that we will save $2500 in health insurance premiamns so as my bill is coming due who do I send it to for the payment? probably nowhere but my own bank account because he has lied again and had no intentions of having any one but me pay for it.Just words just words to get some of you fo follow him to the so called promised land only to find it hot air and broken promises.

• RE: 12th article of faith
    March 23, 2010 10:31 a.m.

Give me a break. Don't intermingle these two. Were the revolutionists sinners then because they threw off their oppressive government? Of course not, it was actually inspired by God.

Did the Anti-Nephi-Lehies obey the laws when their leaders were lording over them with unrighteous laws? No they did not. Did the revolutionists commit . . . TREASON when they felt they were being taken advantage of? They did!

Don't be silly(and silly was used to be nice).

• MJH79
    March 23, 2010 10:30 a.m.

They could have easily solved the problem with the 8-10 million who are truly unable to get insurance for whatever reason with a tenth of the cost of this boondoggle. This isn't about improving healthcare, this is about government control, no matter what these pompous, arrogant frauds want you to think.

There is not a thing in this bill that gets to the root of higher health costs-government mandates and insurance fraud. Nor is there anything that prevents these shyster lawyers from continuing there sham lawsuits. The Dems and their trial lawyers have won again, to the detriment of this country.

Breakdown-You don't have a clue of what you are talking about.

• We all take turns celebrating
    March 23, 2010 10:29 a.m.

It's what we celebrate about that matters. Obama, after signing this bill into law handed out the historic pens that he used to make this the law of the nation. What a historic day this is. Many are feeling happy, yet others are sad. I can remember when George Bush started his little war in Iraq. Some of my neighbors were running around the street knocking on doors to tell us that the war had started and how proud they were to be American. Well, I was not proud that day like some, but I can tell you this, I have never been more proud to be an American than today. And, it seems that my friends that celebrated when Bush started bombing Iraq are not too proud to be American today. It seems strange to me how we can have such opposite ways of thinking. Today the Democrats are happy that they were able to bring us this much needed reform. And on the same day the Republicans are depressed about a victory that helps so many people.

One mans win is another mans loss.

So ask yourself, what kind of news makes you happy?

• "Give me liberty,
    March 23, 2010 10:27 a.m.

or give me death"! History will relive itself.

• PigeonToedOrangePeel
    March 23, 2010 10:23 a.m.

Well people this is not about Rep Vs Dem that is just the distraction that is supposed to be there for none of us to see what this really is. This is a scary time for our country, it’s sad that I have heard him say "this is the most important thing in his Presidency”, well what about the two wars that he has done nothing about and the Soldiers dying over there in foreign lands I guess they aren’t that important. Well the only reason this passed was to distract us from what is going on in the world. Yea Mrs. Clinton is in talks with Russia about the problem in Iran, well here comes the 3rd war we will be involved in, but at least we have health care.
    Oh by the way I am neither Democrat or Republican, just like I asked my 8th grade history teacher 30 years ago when he told me I had to be one or another I had to choose, “why can’t I just be American?” Dems or Reps you are all the same

• RE: The Breakdown 10:14am
    March 23, 2010 10:22 a.m.

Yeah, so its the FOX-Conservatives against the USA. Problem with that, 60% of the USA is conservative and watch Fox news. So yeah, BRING IT! Whats MSNBC and CNN's ratings?

• RE: Marie Devine
    March 23, 2010 10:21 a.m.

Your lack of knowledge in the realm of economics is astounding. It pained me to read such an ignorant remark.

And your mingling religion with a method to offset costs was ludicrous. Hopefully you are not in a position to give financial advise to others. If you are, I fear for those in your path, because it is simply the blind leading the blind.

• to the far far right
    March 23, 2010 10:21 a.m.

rant and rave, rant and rave, I am loving every minute of it!

• I think most people know
    March 23, 2010 10:21 a.m.

how the Federal Gov't will soon "own" this country and everyone in it. Being taxed to death! It is becoming quite obvious that people will not stand for it much longer.

• K
    March 23, 2010 10:20 a.m.

To everyone that is celebrating the new healthcare plan: I wish you would just rob me in person, because voting to take away my money and give it to yourself is no different!!! I can't afford my own insurance, but now I will pay a 2500.00 fine per year to pay for yours. Fantastic. Don't fool yourself into thinking it will be paid for with government money. There is no such thing! It will be paid for with yours and your neighbors money.

• MTR
    March 23, 2010 10:20 a.m.

Three cheers for Obama and Pelosi for pulling this off! It is nice to know that we have couragous leaders, even if we do not sometimes deserve them.

• Communistic
    March 23, 2010 10:20 a.m.

I am currently paying $125 per month in insurance. It will now go up to over $400 per month. This will ONLY reward the insurance companies. If you don't have medical insurance then you will pay a penatly. If we are going to have this bill then we need to get rid of the insurance companies and just pay the money directly to the hospitals and doctors. Remove the middle-man. I'm in favor of the health care but this is not the best way to do it. I hope other states join in on the litigation.

• Outstanding!
    March 23, 2010 10:19 a.m.

Thank you Mr. Obama!

• Jesus is Smiling
    March 23, 2010 10:18 a.m.

What a great day for America! Obama finally did what no republican administration has been able to do. Health Care Reform!!!!!!!!!!! I have never been more proud to be an American.

• The breakdown:
    March 23, 2010 10:14 a.m.

Fox News Listeners: 100% against Obama and health care reform.

Non-Fox News Listeners: 90% for some form of health care reform.

It's the Fox-Republicans vs. the U.S.A.

I say, bring it on!!

• Reckoning
    March 23, 2010 10:13 a.m.

November is coming. Bob Bennett needs to be the first to go, followed by many others...

• Jason
    March 23, 2010 10:11 a.m.

Healthcare is NOT a right... Just like Driving isnt a Right. Should I look to the Government to Buy me a nice car? nope, it would probably fall a part if i got one from them.
    Besides, IF the congress (and President) wanted everyone to have healthcare why not broaden the requirements to Medicaid and Medicare? ( ya know..the ones the seniors get) It makes me sick to see this country being taken over by those who are anti american (i guess we should of listened to Ezra Taft Benson)

• Affordable Health Care for All
    March 23, 2010 10:11 a.m.

It's the end of the world as we know it. I'd much rather live under the thumb of the health insurance cartel and their nay-saying partners, the Republican party!

• 12th article of faith
    March 23, 2010 10:09 a.m.

We believe in honoring, obeying and sustaining the law. To those concerned of health companies stocks, they are going to soar; now there is no longer doubt and uncertainty, they can plan accordingly. Stock prices have gone up up up the last 2 weeks and will now really go up up up. The more people are in work force, the better the economy; and few can work with bad health.

• Prayers answered
    March 23, 2010 10:08 a.m.

• So....
    March 23, 2010 10:04 a.m.

This is how Capitalism ends-- with thunderous applause from the White House and House Democrats. This is the beginning of a new Empire, with Emperor Obama watching every aspect of our life. Big Brother will keep watching.

• Henry Drummond
    March 23, 2010 10:02 a.m.

This is a great days for America that took uncommon courage to bring about.

It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more. You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. Through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means.

• Boggles the (sane) mind
    March 23, 2010 10:02 a.m.

Obamacare will require over 1000 new gov't agencies with tens of thousands of new gov't jobs required. NEVER has government been able to deliver ANYTHING with any acceptable level of efficiency. I am scared spitless for my children and grandchildren having to pay the HUGE taxes.

• A Republican...
    March 23, 2010 9:58 a.m.

I'm a republican and I think it is about time our health care is made available to the middle and lower class. WAY TO GO ABAMA!!! Thanks for passing something to help all Americans. I hope to see a future of health care that really CARES.

• Responsible Government?
    March 23, 2010 9:51 a.m.

Yes, please.

Do you remember Churchill's "V" for victory? Let's bring that back.

"V" for voice- we have to be heard
    "V" for vote- let's take back our government

We have to be active and stay involved. Too much complacancy has led us to where we are today. No more.

• This is..
    March 23, 2010 9:49 a.m.

A sad day for those who love freedom.

• uncannygunman
    March 23, 2010 9:47 a.m.

Yes there will be problems, foreseen and unforeseen, that need to be fixed, but the die is cast. A better future awaits, be happy!

• An even bigger handbasket
    March 23, 2010 9:39 a.m.

is needed for this country as the downward spiral definitely continues. The Mayans say 2012, but I think it is more like 2017. I really wish these idiots that supposedly run things would realize who is in charge.

• Jeff R
    March 23, 2010 9:36 a.m.

Anybody who supports this bill, did you watch what happend to the Health Care and Pharmiscutical sectors on monday? Go to the GOPs official website and see the GOP health care plan. Its simple and would greatly bring down costs and save jobs. Unlike this 3000 page monstocity. The GOP Plan never made it to the Mainstream, why you ask? Well the media is becoming state controled. NBC, ABC, and CNN are all left leaning and countinue to indoctinate (There's that word again) the American people with Obama/Liberal propiganda. Look how much they didnt cover the million plus tea party goers on September 12, 2009. Liberal and Socialist (dont confuse the two) agendas dont work. Look at Europe for example. Many countries are threatening to go into default. Even the EU is stating it has alot of problems. The EURO might implode leading to an economic collapse that hasnt been seen since the 1940's. This country was founded on Conservative principles and the Constitution. Its that way for a reason, changing it will lead the USA towards what is happening in the European Union.

March 23, 2010 9:34 a.m.

Obama = Intolerance of America and freedom.
    Government is the worst manger of business affairs.

Go celebrate with 20% of the US while the other 80% prepares to get this country back inline with the divine intent of the constituion.

Proud to be an a american where once again soon we will be free.

• Healthcare?
    March 23, 2010 9:31 a.m.

Yes, please.

• Zip
    March 23, 2010 9:29 a.m.

How are we going to pay for this with 10% unemployment? Sorry Roger your health care costs for your business are going to go up not down and your health care will decrease. Why are we so concerned about health care now when our economy is in the tubes? Because if they can control your health care they can control your whole life by dictating what you can eat, own, and activiteis you can participate in. Mark my words this has nothing to do with health care but with control over YOU!!

• to citizen
    March 23, 2010 9:29 a.m.

The Panama Canal was not a give away. It was the United States honoring a long time lease contract that it had with the Panamanian people. This incident was used to politically damage Carter. And, it was successful in fooling a lot of people, including, it would seem, you.

March 23, 2010 9:23 a.m.

I'm trying to see the upside to this:

- taxes go up

- insurance companies go out of business (and those people lose their jobs

- Millions more in line to get care - I think I'll need to schedule an appointment a year in advance

- Oh, yes, you'll have to wait for treatment - hope you don't die while doing that

- Medical professionals leaving the profession - so fewer doctors to see you and your ailment

Hmm, sounds great to me.

• Heidi Phillips
    March 23, 2010 9:20 a.m.

At first glance, I thought the headline read, "Obama to sign health bill, celebrate with aliens."

• Todd
    March 23, 2010 9:18 a.m.

Seriously, Obama=intolerance?? I suppose you didn't hear the racial and homophobic slurs thrown at Democratic members of Congress on Saturday?? Also, let's not forget "Baby Killer" being yelled at Rep. Stupak on the floor of the House. But yet, you call Pres. Obama intolerant??

• Cantslodown610
    March 23, 2010 9:15 a.m.

Health Care Is not a right. Health care is not just insurance companies trying to make a buck. We do not need this. What riles me is to pay $200 to take my kid to a doctor when I know she has strep but the only way to get a prescription is to see a doctor. The drug only cost $7. We need to change the way we do things and start listening to people.

• Anne
    March 23, 2010 9:13 a.m.

And whose money is paying for this celebratory gala? Does anyone ever stop to think how many hours we work so that the government can wine and dine, using our money? Does anyone stop to think that we are being robbed to pay for their lifestyle? And they just keep on taking. If you really care about your neighbor, you will give your money to organizations that do the most good; fast offerings, the road house, the red cross as well as give man hours at the food bank, etc. The government will NOT spend wisely what they have taken from us. For anyone that thinks they have helped someone in need by giving more to the government, you are misguided. While you watch the politicians party, know that glass of wine they are sipping is compliments of your tax dollar. They are laughing in our faces.

• Cosmo
    March 23, 2010 9:09 a.m.

Re:Roger; The so called plan just shoveled hundreds of millions of dollars to both, the insurance co.s and big pharma. In addition because of the unconstitutional mandates, the insurance co.s will make more money yet. The One, took everyone to the cleaners, and they don't know that their pants are down!

• Brett
    March 23, 2010 9:07 a.m.

Time to move out of the country, Iraq soundes better then Obama land.

March 23, 2010 9:07 a.m.

This is Awesome! The more the republicants rant and rave, the more I like it!!!!

• I am working
    March 23, 2010 9:06 a.m.

to defeat Obama politics in all its forms

Obama = intolerance

March 23, 2010 9:06 a.m.

Does anyone remember the "PANAMA CANAL GIVE-A-WAY??Just for a refresher the majority of the senate that voted for that treasonus act went down in defeat the next election.Does history repeat??

• It's a start
    March 23, 2010 8:58 a.m.

about time we joined the rest of the industrial work. We are already paying for those who use the emergency room for care so this bill might actually save money.

• WinSum
    March 23, 2010 8:56 a.m.

Throw them all out.

• Roger
    March 23, 2010 8:55 a.m.

The bill is not perfect, but it's better than the Republican plan of helping the insurance companies rip off the middle class. I was without coverage for 15 days this month, and it was scary.

I've worked hard all my life and had a small business in the Fashion Place Mall. Over the last five years, I've seen my life savings greatly diminished by the cost of health insurance.

Health care is a right. Every compassionate person believes it is a right for children. Then why not for 20-year-olds? If it is a right for old people (I'm 64), then why not for a 40-year-old?

• Marie Devine
    March 23, 2010 8:47 a.m.

The way to affordable health care is to end insurance. It has not stopped various errors etc. Insurance is unnecessary and increased the cost of all phases of medical treatment making it horrendously expensive. The solution is in the hands of the people. God says, ye are saved by faith. Insurance is faith in the devil’s ability to cancel God’s promises of protection and healing. Insurance disconnects our faith in God. Divine-Way, a .com shows Ammunition Against Passed Health Care Reform and why it is vitally important to use it NOW.

Insurance is in about every phase of buying and selling most things, we are employed almost for the purpose of paying insurances. If those with faith concentrate on the power of their God, they would end insurance. It would be like a giant raise because the price of everything could fall sharply without affecting profits.

We need someone in the White House NOW who knows the power of God and how to use it to lead the people to end the oppressions we brought upon ourselves by unbelief. Our politicians need to focus on God’s solutions; there be more with us than against us.