Gallery: Workers install skybridge over Main Steet at City Creek

• John Pack Lambert
    March 23, 2010 1:33 p.m.

The trax downtime reality make doing this when they did logical.
    I also would ask "when does the Sabbath start?" Personally, I think it is the type of issue you need to make on an individual basis.
    I am guessing that normally constuction work on this site does not occur on Sunday, or in the middle of the night. However, the Pedestrian bridge is a special case, and so they need to apply special rules.

• partof the team
    March 23, 2010 8:52 a.m.

The bridge set on Sunday morning was the culmination of thousands of hours of work by hundreds of dedicated workers. From planners, architects, engineers, detailers, project and safety managers, shop fabricators, operators and field ironworkers,and a host of other trades; everyone performed flawlessly to make this incredibly complex undertaking look simple.

I'm proud to have been a part of the team that completed the bridge erection on time, without injury to site personnel, or negative impact to the public and city of Salt Lake. This is one to remember.

I look forward to walking across the completed bridge and shopping in downtown Salt Lake City. The planners behind the City Creek Center are moving Salt Lake City into the 21st century as a world class city. Thank you for making this a great place for my children to grow up and live.

• MoreThanEnuff
    March 22, 2010 10:55 a.m.

I never would have guessed putting up a bridge would become a religous debate...wow look how far we've come.

• @Rocky A.
    March 22, 2010 10:39 a.m.

HA HA HA HA HA!! That's funny! I was wondering when you would show up.

• You can't be serious.....
    March 22, 2010 10:35 a.m.

Do you really these posts are serious? I don't
    think so.....

• Mull
    March 22, 2010 10:31 a.m.

I just walked past the sky bridge a few minutes ago. It looks great. It really adds a more urban feel to the city. Reminds me of the area near Grand Central Station in NYC, where I used to live.

• Confused?
    March 22, 2010 10:19 a.m.

What is the focus of this article? A cool sky bridge, constructed on site, raised successfully. . .or a Sunday School discussion about the meaning of "keeping the Sabbath holy" and who gets to determine what that is is.

Kudos on the engineering, people!

• Rocky A.
    March 22, 2010 9:45 a.m.

This looks horrible! They've ruined Main Street again!!!

• Hoax
    March 22, 2010 9:36 a.m.

I think that first comment is a hoax, written by one of those who love to cause dissension here.

• to get real
    March 22, 2010 9:18 a.m.

huh? you might spell check next time and grammar check. what is the diffence between a methodist and a baptist? methodists can read. you proved this point!

• @hbecket
    March 22, 2010 8:29 a.m.

They built this thing right there on Main Street. I was amazed they could do this with the very limited space available and with minimal traffic disruptions. Kudos.

• hbeckett
    March 22, 2010 12:28 a.m.

Great photo's, did they bring it in on truck or rail?

• Get Real
    March 21, 2010 8:37 p.m.

People get real. Quit being so self rightous. Mormons are not the promint religion anymore. The Babtist are. I don't hear them complaining! There is 750volts of electricty in those wires that make the trains run. They have to power down the lines so no one get electrocuted. Uta is obligated to fullfill their commitment for the city to provide service for the public. Scedules can't be changed just because a bridge needs to put in place. During the weekdays there is only about 4 hours from end of service to start of service and about 6 hours from end of service to begining of service on Sunday. Therefore the work needed to be done on Sunday morning. There is a lot more people who ride Trax than people who are unhappy for the church working on Sunday.

• lol
    March 21, 2010 7:42 p.m.

I would bet that whoever was in charge of making the decision on when the bridge would be set knew full well the decision they were making. I would also bet they had approval from church leaders. For those of you who were disappointed in the church for allowing this, get real. You sound like the people who got mad at the Savior for helping others on the Sabbath.

• Anonymous
    March 21, 2010 7:41 p.m.

Did I miss the part about the Church being the ones to put this up?

• KLO
    March 21, 2010 7:23 p.m.

Sunday is not the right day for this (no matter the time of morning)- we are taught bet than this. I would think the Church would have better tact. I am a little dissappointed on where exception are seen fit.

• Anonymous
    March 21, 2010 6:07 p.m.

The reason for doing it on a Saturday night into Sunday morning is due to TRAX having a later start time on Sunday, which gave the construction teams additional time to place the bridge, demobilize and then get all pedestrian walkways back into place. If this had been done on any other night,there was a potential that TRAX service would have been interrupted the following morning. So Sunday work was required.

• Anonymous
    March 21, 2010 6:07 p.m.

I am looking at the bigger picture. There is simply no evidence to suggest that it would've been drastically worse had it been done on another day. I haven't seen any logical claims here that would explain why it was justified for the church to compromise the example it is supposed to set.

And once again, the example you gave is just in now way equatable. Just because the sabbath is broken in one circumstance (regardless of whether or not it is justified) does not make it right to do so in another.

• Anonymous
    March 21, 2010 5:53 p.m.

only in Utah...

• to anonymous
    March 21, 2010 5:43 p.m.

The sabbath is there to make better the life of man. Man does not serve the sabbath.

I imagine that the construction company watched traffic patterns from night to night and found the least intrusive time.

I'm a contractor (not construction) and have worked for the Church on many a Sunday. I also enjoy watching KSL on Sunday, and have visited Temple Square more times on Sunday than I have worked for the church on Sunday - a lot.

I'm grateful for the church employees and contractors who work Sundays to make it a better day for me. I don't have grandkids yet, but I imagine they'll enjoy that bridge for years to come.

• @ Anonymous 4:31pm
    March 21, 2010 4:48 p.m.

For one ... you are sounding extremely preachy.

Secondly as it was pointed out this type of project would have been extremely difficult to do on a weekday night.

I really don't think the church fell short of any expectations. I've seen General Authorities outside of the SLC area in restaurants on Sunday. Does that fall short of my expectations of them? No.

Look at the bigger picture.

• Anonymous
    March 21, 2010 4:46 p.m.

To "To Anonymous(2):" Some things are indeed necessary to pay for on the sabbath, but I don't think this is one of them, and I don't think the examples you cited should be used to justify this. I'm not saying they shouldn't have done this at midnight, I'm saying they should've chosen another day, or at least not sold tickets (which is what bothers me most of all). The only thing that was disrupted was TRAX, and that was only beyond the station at City Creek, for a few hours. It wouldn't have been much different at all had they done it some other day. This wasn't an urgent need, or a matter of major inconvenience, as you project it to be.

• Anonymous
    March 21, 2010 4:31 p.m.

To "Holy Ghost:" funny, but that makes no sense. There's nothing wrong with being up that late. Also, it's not a "participation" event, and its success is in no way affected by the number of people who show up, so I was not supporting it in any way. I live downtown and was woken up by all the commotion (specifically the helicopter flying around in circles above my building), so I went and watched.

To "To Anonymous(1):" I don't see why I shouldn't stand up for what I think is right. Usually people are criticized for blind obedience. In this case, I'm just pointing out that the church fell short of the expectations of one of its own members.

To "Chuck:" I'm sorry if my beliefs aren't important to you. I'm not trying to be preachy, but given the circumstances I think I am justified in pointing out that their priorities are mixed up from what they usually are, and should be. A simple matter of convenience is not more important than obeying commandments and setting good examples in my eyes.

• Kemp J
    March 21, 2010 3:51 p.m.

I live in the pacfic northwest and have been watching this project closely. What an awesome project. I only wish we had a project of this magnitude to stimulate our economy.

March 21, 2010 3:10 p.m.

I'm very excited for this new addition to our downtown. My thanks to the construction workers, downtown merchants who have to put up with the construction, the planners, the designers and the funders for making SLC even better.

I'm seriously considering a new condo downtown. What is it they say? Downtown IS rising.

• To anonymous | 12:29 p.m
    March 21, 2010 3:02 p.m.

If it makes you feel any better, the Church has to pay for things like Church Security to work on Sundays. As a general rule, the Church minimizes the numbers that have to work on a Sunday. If you had stopped to consider a little more, you may have realized some other factors. Like the fact that there was a Jazz game in downtown last night. By midnight, the bulk of the fans had left downtown. Most restaurants and any other places are for the best part closed. Closing access to Main and the area was best done at this time, for the sake of the SLPD and the people that live/work in Downtown. Think harder before speaking please.

• ER in AF
    March 21, 2010 2:25 p.m.

It was the right time to do a job like this. The scripture is not just an adage that people use to do what they want on Sunday. Truly sometimes the ox is in the mire, and it is expediant and right to do something like this on the day that will have the least impact on the most people. I applaud those who made the decision especailly since I know they knew there would be nitwits who don't understand the this is the right way of doing this.

• Hmmm
    March 21, 2010 2:10 p.m.

Maybe it's best if the church allows construction companies some latitude to make their own decisions.

• Chuck
    March 21, 2010 1:27 p.m.

Goodness, Anonymous needs to get a sense of what is important! Thank you for doing this over the weekend to minimize disruption to the world that lives in reality. There are many ignorant zealots that do not understand how projects are done. Thankfully most of these nuts live overseas. I would be suprized to find a single individual that was not completly happy to be there. Back to sleep Anonymous.

• Anonymous
    March 21, 2010 1:14 p.m.

why did you go then?

• To Anonymous
    March 21, 2010 12:56 p.m.

Clearly you are a Pharisee. Go stand on some other corner to belt out your self-righteousness.

• holy ghost
    March 21, 2010 12:50 p.m.

Hey anonymous, what were you doing up at 12:01? Doesn't the holy ghost go to bed at midnight? And if you were so digusted with the event why did you particpate by showing up?

• anonymous
    March 21, 2010 12:29 p.m.

I'm very disappointed they did this on a sunday. I expect more from my church than paying people to work on Sunday. One of the construction workers was selling passes for people to watch the bridge moving up close, well after 12:01. This disgusts me as a Latter-day Saint. They should feel ashamed for doing this, when they easily could have done this another night.