Mormon church gives first lady Michelle Obama volume of family history

• dee
    March 27, 2010 2:21 a.m.

Thank you to ALL those who spent their time,effort & engery on this GIFT! Including the writter of
    This articale! I appreciate these kinds of pieces & would hate for the negitivity to stop them from being
    Written again! Offened or not, it was a wonderful loving thing to give to their family!
    Just some food for thought! Found some inspired words,religious or not!I think 'beliefs'can be said for 'actions' too.
    “When WE do not do what is right or when
    OUR OUTLOOK is dominated by skepticism ,cynicism, criticism & irreverence
    toward OTHERS and their beliefs,the Spirit cannot be with us
    We then act in a way that the prophets describe as the natural man."
    Robert D.Hales
    Loud mouth Dee

• Dee, CO
    March 26, 2010 7:28 p.m.

Ps.please search the archives.
    When President Obama was given His genalogy there was articale given.
    Where you can see a lovely pichure of him as well as President Monson and others.
    I believe in the oval office. So focas on more important issues then a photo or quote.
    Please! However, in that Articale his is quoted as follows:
    Said Obama: "I enjoyed my meeting with President Monson
    and Elder Oaks. I'm grateful for the genealogical records
    that they brought with them and am looking forward to
    reading through the materials with my daughters.
    It's something our family will treasure for years to come."
    He sounds greatful to me! But read the hate posted at the end
    Of that artical.... I don't know if I would have said much either
    and I am proud but newer member of the church myself!

Seriously settle down! With love! Dee

• dee CO
    March 26, 2010 6:57 p.m.

WOW you guys can seriously get worked up!!!
    I'll give it some of you tho. Now, granted these are
    THE most photographed and interved presidential family in
    American history! They have had PR storms for a beer and
    Are on my TV more the Weather. So they both (at either delivery)
    should have taken a moment to say thank you and a photo for history!
    Besides for this perpuse but for their own family momeries after they leave DC
    But come on,let's not kid ourselves here. We all know
    the church still freaks a lot of people out! Its possible she didn't
    know how to handle it without upsetting other people! They are also well
    Known for that aswell!
    So yeah, her press secratay should have advised her more
    Appropriately. But all in all it was a gift.
    Q? Its the "beer summit" Guy a professor of genealogy or somehow conected with
    Genealogy .com?
    As a side note:
    And ANY african american history is extremely difficult to find let
    Alone compile consistante information! So amazing work to who even worked
    On this project!
    If it helps THANK YOU!

• Judy McKinstry
    March 22, 2010 11:31 a.m.

The church gives these books to all the dignitaries and I am so glad they do so that if they are prompted they may also do more geneology. There are so many families who are looking for people so by giving the geneology to people like this they may be able to help us find more if they enter names that are not in the books. I am glad they continue to do this as finding our family members is so important to me.

• Don White, Windermere, FL
    March 21, 2010 7:57 a.m.

Hans may have never done genealogy. For hundreds of years it has been nigh on to impossible to do Black genealogy. But the Mormons, who have some black members, when they became available took old military records - many yellowed, in an almost unintelligible pen scratch - and formed a unit to read these. They took, say nine people. Each read the record and they actually, in some cases, had to vote on what the paper said, it's that difficult. Then they may have come down to two versions of a word or a sentence. Then they narrowed it further with many people reading the same words. Finally they came to a consensus. That is how difficult doing genealogy can be. Original records were hand written. Not everyone had perfect penmanship, even in military or court record offices. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints should be congratulated for undertaking such a terrifically difficult project. Had Obama become president thirty or even twenty years earlier, his and Michelle's records would not comprise five volumes - maybe only one. Three cheers for the church - and for the Obamas for wanting to know their ancestors.

• Eleazar U. Ikpegbu
    March 20, 2010 11:41 a.m.

This is great and wonderful. The Church is for every one. Both high and the mighty and small and down. The family record presentation to the US first lady is a good one. The church is true and I know it will all my heart.

• standandbecounted1
    March 19, 2010 9:49 p.m.

Atheists are good people...so are agnostics. I do genealogy and I think it is wonderful that the most prominent genealogical library in the world prepared her genealogy. Why can't we simply respect the fact that there are people of differing opinions?

• Keluma
    March 19, 2010 6:46 p.m.

to em-- that's a perfect reason for wanting one of your children to be president! love it. what could nicer than getting your family's geneology handed to you on a silver platter from the prominent geneologist themselves, the LDS church!

to anonymous atheist -- very gracious of you to compliment the LDS church, you are an exceptional example of an honest to God good person!

• Keluma
    March 19, 2010 6:39 p.m.

i agree with JanSan it sounds like michelle obama was not even impressed with the absolutely awesome gift of VOLUMES of geneology... that is a tremendous amount of work, dedication the LDS church members put into such an extraordinary gift! maybe we are being mislead right now because the reporter doesn't have all the facts, but i sure hope michelle realizes and understand the value of this amazing gift...BTW i am an obama fan and voted for him, this is disappointing in the First Lady... God Bless the LDS church which is truly an instrument of peace and doing a wonderful job of enlightening the world.

• Texan
    March 18, 2010 7:13 p.m.

I want to know why the Brethren are devaluing credibility by hobnobbing with criminals like dirty Harry Reid and other Obamunists. Reid and Pelosi should be doing time for illegally twisting the sacred constitution, making bribes, kickbacks, secret meetings, back room deals. All under the guise of "we just wanna help you". Shame, Shame, Shame.

• LYNN
    March 18, 2010 7:00 p.m.

Boy...the things you people come up with...LOL..!

• E. Klinche
    March 18, 2010 6:38 p.m.

Seems nice.

Good job.

• Andie
    March 18, 2010 11:11 a.m.

To Moracle: My goodness! That's a lot of supposing.
    To most others: I agree with "Please". Politics is not even involved here. It is a great gesture of good will that the LDS Church has done for several U.S. Presidents. As I recall, there seemed to be a lot of political bantering when the LDS Church gave President Obama his genealogy, as well. Too bad.

• Moracle
    March 18, 2010 7:39 a.m.

We should give Mrs. Obama a break. She may feel it would violate separation of Church and State if she made a public statement about the gift; or she may not want to give free PR to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, for some reason (after all, there aren't too many Democrats among LDS voters).
    Maybe they are trying to make a break from all Christian religions, after the Rev. Walsh fiasco. I read that they have not attended any church since Obama won the election, although they did take their vacation during Ramadan, whatever thay may mean.
    Pres. Obama has referred to "my Muslim religion" on more than one occassion, so maybe they are trying to return to his Muslim roots, and fear it would offend the muslims, to make public her interactionsd with other churches.

• Anonymous
    March 18, 2010 7:06 a.m.

Hey Hans, have you ever thought that the people who prepared Michelle Obama's genealogy didn't just snap their fingers and poof -- a genealogy all ready to go? Perhaps they didn't give the genealogy at the same time because they were still working on it. African-American genealogy is rather difficult to do and requires intensive research.

Shawilli -- reread the article and think to yourself, "hey, all of the quotes are coming from Sen. Reid and none from the church." Yes, that's right, the free publicity came from Reid's office, not the LDS Church. The church did this as a courtesy, not for free publicity.

• Anonymous
    March 17, 2010 11:35 p.m.

Best article today. That's really cool the LDS church has done this for them. Honestly, I'm an atheist, so our beliefs are quite different, but I thank the LDS church everyday for it's massive and extensive geneology. I found out my great grandfather was an lds missionary and I have lds roots. It's nice to see a nice gesture like this. Hands down the lds church has paved the way and continues to in geneology.

• Chris
    March 17, 2010 9:02 p.m.

It's nice to read a positive news article, and this certainly is one!

• John Pack Lambert
    March 17, 2010 8:15 p.m.

To Hans,
    If they started this project at the time of the election, it could well have taken this long. If it had started at the time of Obama getting the nomination, it could have taken this long.
    For African-Americans like Mrs. Obama whose families have been in the US for many generations, it often takes quite a bit of looking to gather information. Many of the most useful records would have to be sought out at multiple locations, others would have to be found by looking through censuses and paying close attention to who lives by who.
    If you want to do something right it takes time.

• John Pack Lambert
    March 17, 2010 8:10 p.m.

To the 11:45 commentator,
    The White House stated it was a private event and that is all they are going to say. Mrs. Obama has chosen to not say what she thought of it. It is much better for a reporter to admit that a person said nothing than to guess what they thought.

• Good Job Mormon church!
    March 17, 2010 7:45 p.m.

What a neat thing for the church to do. I really admire Harry Reid. What a wonderful man from small town Nevada, schooled at the college in Cedar City, UT, a mormon and a democrat. I am so pleased to see an LDS person who is a high ranking democrat who cares so much for people and health care reform. These articles help bridge the divide between the parties and show that the church has members who support not only President and Mrs Obama. More respect - less hate.

• em
    March 17, 2010 7:10 p.m.

This is why I want one of my children to become president, so their family history (and mine) will be done by professionals.

• Please
    March 17, 2010 7:01 p.m.

it's a nice story about a nice gesture of good will. All of you politicos need to just give it a rest.

• shawilli
    March 17, 2010 6:45 p.m.

I guess it must have been a slow news day at the DN, does anyone really care if Michelle Obama got her family history handed to her? I for one was not.I am much more interested in news that matters to more than just the Church trying to get some free publicity and make a real impact in more lives than just Michelle Obamss.

• @Senator from Nevada
    March 17, 2010 6:31 p.m.

1 - Reid IS representing those who voted for him. He's not representing you. I doubt you voted for him.

2. Many people (like me) are against the current health care bill because it does not go far enough. BUT...if it's the best we can get right now, I'm for it. I AM INCLUDED IN THE "DON'T WANT IT" Republican polls....wrongly attributed.

3 - You have no clue about socialism. But I'll be thrilled if you deny all government income (SSI, Medicare, Medicaid, VA, fed/military retirement, etc). Tell your parents YOU are now going to pay their medical bills, because they are "socialists".

• to JanSan
    March 17, 2010 6:20 p.m.

The article was written based on what may have been a slim report from the participants on an even that just happened (today?). There is nothing in the article to indicate--or even hint--that the First Lady didn't thanks those involved or that she did not appreciate the gift.

And as for the newspaper reading public, no one needs to provide a press release to the public to indicate how that person thanked others for a gift. If I receive a birthday gift, I am obliged to thank the giver directly. I don't need to announce my feelings to the world, "Dear World, I want you all the know that I thanked X and Y for the gift they gave me."

This is just a tiny little article based on scanty info. You need not assume the worst. Of late, we have become well aware of how much of the story the DN sometimes misses or leaves out.

• Me
    March 17, 2010 6:02 p.m.

Yes, the White house being welfare sqaure was quite hilarious.

• Senator from Nevada.....da..
    March 17, 2010 5:59 p.m.

What's wrong with Harry Reid?

How about #1 he does not REPRESENT those that voted for him.

#2. Pushing what He and his Party want down America's throat, when they don't WANT IT?

#3. Nudging America closer to Socialism.

Get a clue.

• RE Hans:
    March 17, 2010 5:56 p.m.

Cleaning up after the Bush/Cheney mess will look like a picnic some day looking back. The mess being created now may be impossible to clean up.

• Anonymous
    March 17, 2010 5:45 p.m.

to re:eddie Loved your comment. It made me choke on something I was eating.

• re: eddie
    March 17, 2010 4:57 p.m.

I thought the White House was Welfare Square.

• JanSan
    March 17, 2010 4:13 p.m.

I also would like to know what her reaction was.

Wheras I realize that this is not a poto op for the church.. still it is a lot of work that went into this and I think that out of common respect she should at least acknowledge the gift and say thank you to those who worked so hard on it.

From the way the article was written it makes it sound like she is not really that impressed with this gift.

• Senator from Nevada...
    March 17, 2010 3:50 p.m.

I like the Senator from Nevada. Hmmmmm. I am a graduate of... and world traveler... and grandfather... and combat veteran. Sane and sober.

I like Harry. What's the problem? Is he tooooo independent? Does he support the President?

oh my gosh, that is shameful isn't it. tsk tsk

• Hans
    March 17, 2010 3:38 p.m.

What a wonderful gift. Why the delay? It should have been done at the time they took office. But at least they finally got it.
    It is wonderful to see the hard work of Brother Reid and the currant administration in bringing the United States into the current century and cleaning up after the Bush/Cheney mess.

• Monsieur le prof
    March 17, 2010 2:49 p.m.

The Church did not use this as a photo-op, but as a gesture of respect to the First Lady, behind closed doors. If she wishes to reveal how she feels about the gift, she will do so.

I would think and hope that she would be genuinely pleased. Those volumes represent a large amount of time and effort. I don't remember her husband's response to the same gift back in 2009, but I haven't checked the archives.

• Anonymous
    March 17, 2010 1:37 p.m.

That is great that the LDS CHurch did this for the President's family.

• Eddie
    March 17, 2010 1:33 p.m.

To "Hope she saw Welfare Square" at 1:05 p.m. Read the article!!! It was presented in the WHITE HOUSE. Unless they have a Welfare Square or Humanitarian Center in the White House, she would have to come out to Utah.

• Hope she saw Welfare Square
    March 17, 2010 1:05 p.m.

I hope she got a chance to visit Welfare Square or the Humanitarian Center. That's where the really cool stuff happens! Blessing lives all over the world every day, regardless of religion.

• re: um
    March 17, 2010 12:30 p.m.

Did it occur to you that because this is an LDS Apostle, maybe the reporter couldn't get all the information he needed right then, and wanted to get the news out?

In this age of "I need this now" information, I'd be willing to bet that we get more information as soon as the reporter gets it.

• What in tucket?
    March 17, 2010 12:02 p.m.

I see it this way: every human being that ever lived if only for a few minutes is important in the scheme of things.

• George B.
    March 17, 2010 11:57 a.m.

That is great! Every one should know more about their family history!!

• um
    March 17, 2010 11:45 a.m.

So what did she think? Who gives a care what senator Reid thinks. Article was lacking.