Utah Utes football: Utes set to open spring drills

• fun year ahead
    March 9, 2010 6:54 p.m.

A note to all of the ute fans on here: when you come on here and see a cougar fan being dumb or a cougar troll, the best thing to do is ignore it. Seriously, if no one acknowledged these guys, they would go away. Just dont acknowledge them.

I think that absolutely you should laugh at them. And be thankful you are a ute and not a cougar. but dont acknowledge them. They are sitting there in mom's basement waiting to hear if that job at dairy queen is going to come through or not and they have nothing better to do.

Anyway, moving on to the topic at hand. Ute fans should be "cautiously optimistic" we have a lot of talent. I am worried about the secondary, but we have our best corner back for duty. And with our D-Line which is PROVEN, we should be ok.

Add to that a developing quarterback and solid run game, we are in good shape. Pitt and TCU are the only teams I worry about and they are both at home.

• re: BAMA national champs
    March 9, 2010 4:56 p.m.

The LDS Church has strong ties to the islands, and both Utah and BYU are able to recruit from the Pacific Islands because of this. Many "islanders" have family and church ties in Utah, so they are willing to come here.

It is interesting since the Sugar Bowl. I have followed Alabama also, and it was great watching them win the National Championship.

• I can play that game too
    March 9, 2010 4:44 p.m.

Next year after the Utes crush the zoobs.. we can all go around saying 2 out of 3, so take that zoobs... that is just silly smack if you ask me. But what else can you expect from zoobs...

• Yeah!
    March 9, 2010 4:44 p.m.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL. It can't get here soon enough.

• Anonymous
    March 9, 2010 4:11 p.m.

Yes, Y'ners are very good at putting together selective stats concerning their football/basketball programs. What I love is how national rankings/awards never reflect their delusional perception. If you only read the Dnews you would assume that BYU has never lost a game in any sport...only victimized by "classless" haters.

• RE: Anonymous 3:04
    March 9, 2010 3:18 p.m.

Haha I agree. Great point. I made a comment a long time ago that cougars just grab whatever smack they see some other zoob fan post on one of these boards and then that's all you see from them for the next few months. Case in point? Whichever BYU player is still open/running, "magic happens", or "4th and 18". So it looks like this is another case of the comment board sheep. Also, I love the selective memory comment. My personal favorite there is when BYU fans talk only about the record once Lavell Edwards came to town and conveniently forget the INCREDIBLE AMOUNT OF LOSING that occurred beforehand. Either take it all or none of it. It's like the blind men trying to describe the elephant. Look at the whole. Utah has more overall wins as a program and is crushing the TDS (turds down south) in the series record. GO UTES!!!

• What's funny...
    March 9, 2010 3:17 p.m.

is that when YbU beats Utah it usually comes down to the wire. When Utah beats YbU, it is usually by more points than the last 3 kewger wins combined.

• Anonymous
    March 9, 2010 3:09 p.m.

Enough with the 3 out of 4 stuff. BYU won those games by a TOTAL of 12 points. Nothing says dominating like that... especially when the loss was by 24... oh, and you had lost the previous 4 in a row. Ah, selective BYU fan memories, so handy when trying to persuade yourselves that you have dominated Utah recently. Accept that the rivalry is close, fun, and heated. Don't try to bend reality to fit your perception, it makes you look crazy

• Anonymous
    March 9, 2010 3:04 p.m.

I love the "last 3 out of 4" comments. Like there haven't been any other games or a larger sample size. Selective memory must be an awesome thing to have. Before you had your 3 out of 4 (margin of victory being 12 points total in the three wins and a loss by 24), what was the record in the previous 4? Oh, right, 0-fer. I wouldn't want to mention that either. Bottom line... it's a close, tight, fun, heated rivalry, and if you truly do think that this recent run of 3 out of 4 is dominance then you are just a diluted fan without a grip on reality.

• Guess what?
    March 9, 2010 2:56 p.m.

Jonny Harline is still open ...

Austin Collie is still open ...

Andrew George is still wide open ...

Yet Utah will beat BYU by two touchdowns this year.

This is from a Coug fan -- not a Yewt troll -- who has watched this rivalry since the early 1970s.

Write it down: Utah by two TDs this season.

• re: Freshmens 1218 | 1:23 p.m
    March 9, 2010 2:24 p.m.

Yep, we're pretty self consious down here in Provo. Terrible coach, terrible returning players, terrible recruits, et al. Why don't we just go ahead and forfeit now. We know we won't be as good as Ewe, just like we didn't think we'd be able to beat you in Basketball, twice (with the one on your own floor being our backups).

Yep, we'll just go ahead and forfeit now casue there's no way this year's "Y" could do to the Yewts what John Beck, Johnny Harline, Austin Collie, Max Hall and Andrew George have done to you 3 out of the last 4 years...

• Finally
    March 9, 2010 2:11 p.m.

It's spring ball season and we can all put the embarrassment of Ute basketball in the rearview mirror!

As a BYU fan I'm still very excited for the prospects of the next couple weeks of basketball. Yes, we may be "one and done" as the general Utah crowd likes to proclaim (interesting, given Utah's guaranteed "NONE and done" at the comlpetion of a sub .500 season) but I'm equally excited to get going on the football season again.

I have a ton of respect for Kyle Whittingham and his football program. It is well established. I also have a great deal of optimism that with Max Hall out of the picture and the plethora of great prospects coming in that BYU football will improve again this year.

I understand why Ute fans are saying it will be Utah and TCU fighting for the MWC championship this year but don't be suprized if BYU comes in to RES and beats you for the 4th time in 5 years.

• BAMA national champs
    March 9, 2010 1:50 p.m.

As a BAMA fan, i have been following utah a little ever since the sugar bowl, but i have a question for both utah and BYU. How do ya'll get the "Island players" that are on both teams? I don't understand how players from what ever island comes and plays football for utah and byu. As for "Mark it Down" who guarnteeing a national championship this year, hope to see the u there.

• Blue Whitt Fan
    March 9, 2010 1:39 p.m.

I just want to say I thought it was a great thing that Whitt passed on the Vols job. I really respect him as a coach and hope is at at the U for years to come. Cougar Nation will miss him and the Utes as we depart for the Pac 10. Hopefully, we can have a rival game each year still.

• re: Freshmens 1218
    March 9, 2010 1:23 p.m.

So where did you get your "edumacation" from? Keep on topic please. Bottom line, zoobs are going to have a frustrating year at best and are feeling a bit self conscious about their program. LOL!
    Whit, nice job and please stick around for a long time!

• To Freshmens 12:18
    March 9, 2010 12:28 p.m.

How about ignore the typo and make some intelligent comments?

• Freshmens
    March 9, 2010 12:18 p.m.

"Throw in ... two supposedly really good freshmens"

Now there's some real Ute edumacation for you.

Hey, since your mom is letting you stay in her basement and use her internet connection well beyond your GED years why don't you ask her if there's any chance of getting a spelling and grammar checker thrown in the deal.

• Re: Paul B
    March 9, 2010 12:05 p.m.

Just doing work Bro!

• RE Cal Ute
    March 9, 2010 11:57 a.m.

ya for real dude.....i dont know what your talking about. Yes, TCU will be the team to beat but Utah will right up there with them. They get back their entire backfield, most of their 0ffensive line, including a proven JC player to replace Beadles, and you have a consistent slot receiver in Jeremey Brooks. Throw in luke matthews, shaky smithson and two supposedly really good freshmens, Terrel Reese and Kenneth Scott, the utes are set on offense. Defense might be a bit of a struggle but you have Nai Fotu at line backer who I think was their best linebacker before tearing his ACL in the BYU game in 2008. They also get All-America JC D-end in James Aiono, two year starter, Derrick Shelby at the other side and Siliga and Kruger at defensive tackle, with a couple of really solid backs behind them. They have their best corner from last year returning, Brandon Burton, Taplin-Ross who played quite a bit last year and was really good, and Lamar Chapman who is also very fast and a good cover corner. The Utes will do most likely improve on their record from last year.

• Anonymous
    March 9, 2010 11:38 a.m.

RE Cal Ute | 11:01 a.m

Kewg troll

• re: Cal Ute
    March 9, 2010 11:21 a.m.

Seriously? Can't imagine us even COMPETING for the conference title. If by that you mean TCU is again going to be very, very good, I agree. And if by that you mean that TCU is clearly the team to beat, I agree. But to say Utah will not even COMPETE for the MWC title is just plain ignorant. The TCU-Utah game in RES will determine the MWC champ. And that is COMPETING for a title.

Winning 8 games? A team working in a true freshman QB won 10 last year.

I smell a zoob imposter. Sorry, but nice try.

• Cal Ute
    March 9, 2010 11:01 a.m.

This blog proves 1 thing for sure. We have too many bozo's for fans. National champs? Are you kidding? This will be a very difficult year and we will be lucky to win 8 games. I can't imagine us even competing for the conf championship. Get real! Did you read how many new players we are replacing? And quit commenting on BYU. This is a Utah football article. You just prove your fear when all you do is talk about someone else.

• Spring
    March 9, 2010 10:50 a.m.

Ahhhhhh hope springs eternal each March- then comes reality and a few unanticipated injuries and who knows what else- Utah schedule shapes up well this year with the right home games but every year a surprise happens as well- this will be a 2 loss season and will be very succesful but by the standards posted here it will be a huge failure I suppose

• I have a question Kyle
    March 9, 2010 10:06 a.m.

Will your son Tyler be on the sidelines filling his team role as BlackBerry confiscation man for each game lost???

Just wondering...

March 9, 2010 9:43 a.m.

I have enjoyed watching Whitt as a player. I have followed his movement from assistant right on up to the top job.

I am looking forward to another great season of competitive football. Good luck to Coach Whitt, his staff and his players.

• A Man's Perspective
    March 9, 2010 9:21 a.m.

I don't think Utah will be in a rebuilding year at all. As was stated above, they will be solid at the most important positions: offensive line, especially defensive line, running backs, and quarterback. Plus, there is reason to believe that the linebackers will be solid.

Looking forward to a great year. But I must admit, in all honesty, TCU will be awfully hard to beat.

• re: So
    March 9, 2010 9:14 a.m.

I'm trying to figure out who would be #2 then. Because it sure won't be the Cougs. Heck, they could barely squeak out a win in LES over Utah with a senior QB, two seniors TE's, and a defense that featured 7 starting seniors, including your the 6 of the 7 DL/LB. While Utah started a true freshman at QB.

Is it Air Force? CSU?

• Anonymous
    March 9, 2010 9:02 a.m.

I’m Very interested in seeing the backfield develop this spring. It’s been reported the Conroy Black (Corner) ran a 4.2. in the 40. There will be no question about team speed but will they be ready for Pitt in the opener?

If they look good against Pitt I circle only the TCU game as a concern this year.

GO UTES!

• So
    March 9, 2010 8:29 a.m.

it looks like another rebuilding yeat and 3rd place finish for the u.

• Mark it Down
    March 9, 2010 8:13 a.m.

Guaranteed national championship this year. We're going to steamroll our non conference and then only have to survive a fight with the frogs. We'll destroy the cewgs and march our way right to the national championship. #1 at the end! It's going to happen! Guaranteed.

• Anonymous
    March 9, 2010 8:02 a.m.

"Be scared, Cougars. Be afraid."

Cause we have beat you one out of the last four time we have met. BE very bark, bark, bark, bark...

• MNCougar
    March 9, 2010 7:27 a.m.

You have gotta love Coach Whittingham's commitment to Utah football. It is a great sign for things to come! The Utes are going to be very strong this year! I can't wait for the season to start! Good luck, Utes!

• RE: To bluehoo 10:39
    March 9, 2010 6:10 a.m.

You're assuming he's actually a BYU fan.

• Hawaiian Ute
    March 9, 2010 1:57 a.m.

Can't wait for the season to start!!! BCS #3 Here we come!!!! GO UTES!!!!!!

• Nikeacidosis
    March 8, 2010 11:07 p.m.

I got my MUSS tickets and can't wait for those three huge home games(Pitt, TCU and BYU), not to mention the away game at Notre Dame. Hopefully some of the new guys will be able to fill the shoes of those that left, including Beadles and RoJo. You know it's gonna be good fun. GO UTES!!1!

• To bluehoo
    March 8, 2010 10:39 p.m.

What do you mean that Max Hall will make mince meat of the Utes again? Max Hall is gone. He graduated. I see you don't follow your team very well. GO UTES!!!

• I Bleed Blue
    March 8, 2010 10:32 p.m.

It was a good thing to see Kyle stay at Utah. He shows a great deal of class and Utah is lucky to have him. I enjoyed watching him play when he was at BYU and he brings the same type of intensity to his coaching. I wish the fans of both schools would realize how lucky we are to have two solid programs and give it a rest until November.

• Anonymous
    March 8, 2010 9:36 p.m.

why does anyone care about BYU? This is about Utah. Cannot wait for the season to start. Utah has a great schedule this year. Should be fun. Let's hope the holes are filled with great athletes that gel with one another. Go UTES!

• Ute Fan
    March 8, 2010 9:15 p.m.

Yea Utah's basketball team is nothing to cheer about. But Cougar fans commenting here are just covering up their fear of the Utes this year. The Utes D-line is absolutely looking fierce. And the running backs look scary also. Also, Utah's line is experienced, and should be good. So, they are strong on the line on both sides of the ball. They will have a great running game to control the clock. Other development areas, such as receivers shouldn't be a problem with a solid line and running game to set things up. And with the D-line stacked sky high, the development areas with the back 7 will be able to get it done, especially with Whit being defensive-minded, and the Utes' history at producing a top defense. What I am saying is, that the most important areas, the line, and the running game and the QB, Utah is absolutely loaded. Other areas that need work will be able to thrive since the core is set.

Be scared, Cougars. Be afraid. The Utes will beat you by 20+ this year, with 19 of those 20 points being Max Hall revenge points.

• Reloading...
    March 8, 2010 8:59 p.m.

I can't wait for this football season. The Utes should be good and they have a great schedule.

I hope everyone can stay healthy during camp. I'm looking forward to seeing Asiata and Wide in the back field - a fullback set would be tough with those two.

I love the over-confident coog fans... The "year of the coogs" is over and you didn't win the conference in either sport - that's a shame.

Go Utes!!!

• Respect the Team Down South
    March 8, 2010 8:32 p.m.

Can't wait to see the boys in red get back on the field again. BYU is going to clober them.

• bluehoo
    March 8, 2010 8:16 p.m.

These yewts don't stand a chance. Max Hall will make mince meat of them again. Go Cougs!!!!

• Respecter of Utes
    March 8, 2010 6:31 p.m.

Can't wait to see the boys get back on the field again. I'll definitely be at the Red-White game! Go Utes!

• Anonymous
    March 8, 2010 6:29 p.m.

Damion Payne will be a starter!!!!

• Hey dude
    March 8, 2010 5:53 p.m.

isn't it basketball season? Why can't we read anything about the runnin (ha) utes?

• Henry Drummond
    March 8, 2010 5:42 p.m.

I wonder how Coach Kyle's office compares to Urban Meyer's at Florida? Kyle has a mini fridge and water cooler, I bet Urban has his own chef. :-)

It is nice to see Spring Ball though. It means it's Spring!

And just to get things off to the right start I wish our cousins at the TDS all the best year.

• Can't wait!
    March 8, 2010 5:41 p.m.

I'm so excited for the new season!

• Paul B
    March 8, 2010 5:27 p.m.

You know you've arrived when you have a mini fridge within arm's reach.

• Finally
    March 8, 2010 5:27 p.m.

a Yewt fan that admits that their basketball season was horrible. Whit's looking for a few players, but Boylen's looking for 12.

• JIMI
    March 8, 2010 5:13 p.m.

spring ball already ? wow cant wait to see the boys play ball ! go utes !

• After.....
    March 8, 2010 4:59 p.m.

a LONG basketball season, can't wait to see KWhit get back to work.

Looking forward to see how Wynn has progressed, and which LB's/DB's will step up. Not to mention seeing the stacked D-Line go to work.