Sports

Utah Utes basketball: Henderson is shining for the Utes

Comments

• The shining new star...
    March 4, 2010 3:57 a.m.

played great!

• Any other team's fan
    March 3, 2010 4:53 p.m.

"Go ahead!" "Shoot from the block U all night long."

• Bob2
    March 3, 2010 7:19 a.m.

I'm a little worried that Boylen is pinning so much hope on a kid who I'm not at all convinced is a great shooter. He seems to sometimes hoist shots from the three point line and talks proudly about it as if he were trying to send not so subtle hints to the NBA. This kid simply needs to learn how to play basketball. I was impressed with Hines level head in the Wyoming game and think that he might actually be a better player. Plus--we have two seven footers that we don't seem to be able to get the ball in to. I don't see anyone leaving them to go guard a low thirties percentage 3 point shooter. BTW-I saw Nick Jacobsen play. This kid is no Nick Jacobsen. Maybe someday....

• I wish we had Stewey
    March 2, 2010 9:31 p.m.

As a UTE fan who was at the game against Wyoming, he was awful. STORY MUST HAVE BEEN WRITTEN BEFORE.

I wish we had Stewy. Utah State has improved over the course of the year. Utah has gotten worse or stayed the same.

Shawn Glover was a bright spot, plays within himself, stays in the offense.

• Carl
    March 2, 2010 7:49 p.m.

He's no Damien Lillard... who scored 28 for the Wildcats against the Utes.

• Anonymous
    March 2, 2010 3:58 p.m.

Yeah he can play sometimes, but most of all he is just annoying to watch.

• Ute fan for life
    March 2, 2010 3:40 p.m.

I see many comments here from Ute fans that express the same thing I have come to believe about Utah and Henderson this year --- Henderson shoots the way he does because we have virtually NO OTHER ALTERNATIVES.

We have no post presence. Our tall guys can't muscle the ball in to the basket. Jace has thrown up more airball 3-pointers than I care to remember in my lifetime. Tillie is ineffective. Drca is slow and can't get around defenders. Brown has developed an outside shot, but he is turnover prone when trying to drive the ball. Glover is just now starting to develop as a shooter. Basically until very recently, Henderson and to a lesser degree Brown have been the only offensive threats that we have had.

We need a point guard (recruited a PG stud out of Kansas who will probably start next year). We need another wing man shooting threat and our tall guys need to add weight, increase strength and become true post position offensive threats.

• He looks like the UNM Soccer gir
    March 2, 2010 3:20 p.m.

Striking resemblence to that Lambert girl from UNM, anyone else agree??

• danburtreynolds
    March 2, 2010 3:02 p.m.

RE: coot20

And I'll take Marshall, so I guess we're even.

• I agree.....
    March 2, 2010 2:44 p.m.

with MAFU. The play calling or lack thereof is the biggest issue I have with the team this year.

Boylen keeps saying how thick his playbook is yet it seems to me when I see them play they only run one. That play seems to involve a lot of standing around and waiting for the ball to come your way. If they do happen to throw it into our bigs, those guys are at the top of the key where they have no chance to do anything with it.

I like Henderson - he is a freshman for sure but I think he plays hard. I don't think he would have ever seen any playing time with Majerus - he would have been benched the second he threw up one of his long 3's.

I don't agree with the above poster about Carlon - he has developed an outside shot at least.

I think Foster's development is the biggest concern - he can play great defense but hasn't seemed to learn anything when it comes to the offense. It probably has something to do with his limited touches but they need to try and get him the ball.

• Ernest T. Bass
    March 2, 2010 2:38 p.m.

He punched our guy so he fell over.

• coot20
    March 2, 2010 2:31 p.m.

I'll take Haws over Henderson every day of the week

• Percentages
    March 2, 2010 2:00 p.m.

Maybe the starting lineup of Utah State does have a better percentage, they still LOST. That is why we play games. Here is a stat for you mr stat man- UoU vs USU 2009-2010 1-0!

• Forget about Henderson
    March 2, 2010 12:44 p.m.

What we need are most stories about The Ten Foot Wall.

Ten Foot Wall!
    Ten Foot Wall!
    Ten Foot Wall!

• You Rock Marshall!
    March 2, 2010 12:38 p.m.

If only Glover had the kind of confidence that Marshall has he would be unstoppable.

Marshall is a firecracker and I'm glad he is a Runnin' Ute. Keep it up!

GO UTES! Shave those kitties down south!

• EVERYONE COOL
    March 2, 2010 12:11 p.m.

hes a freshman everyone! Along with half the team! Give these guys some time!

• Paper, or plastic?
    March 2, 2010 12:10 p.m.

How about everyone stop baggin' on this kid! Sheesh, grow up already!

• Lots of dumb comments
    March 2, 2010 11:36 a.m.

Look at the Utes without him. Colorado State handled them. How many of those shooters from BYU of USU are the focal point of the opposing teams defense? Fredette. Thats is. Its much easier to shoot when your are the third of fourth option. Its like shooting in practice. No one to guard you. Henderson's percentage isn't very good, but you put him on a team with other options and it becomes alot easier. The problem isn't Henderson, the problem is the lack of help he has surrounding him.

• by comparison
    March 2, 2010 11:31 a.m.

Shot selection will hopefully come with maturity. Hopefully.

Henderson is a very bright spot when compared to the absolute darkness of Tavita. Why that guy is on the court is beyond me. Can anyone can think of a worse starting PG in Utes history? A group of 30 year Utah fans couldn't...

• RE: Impressive
    March 2, 2010 10:15 a.m.

I'm a ute fan and couldn't agree more. Horrible percentage. He puts up way too many poor shots. The utes offense is anemic at best. As a side note, please don't compare him to Jacobsen. Jacobsen was a great shooter and very clutch. He used to light up the Cougs.

• Re: "Re impressive"
    March 2, 2010 9:56 a.m.

Oh you mean teams like Idaho, and BYU, and Seattle? Ha ha Utah state beat those teams. Well they didn't play Seattle but enough said about that. Utah beat Utah state way early in the year, Utah state is a totally different team AND Pooh Williams, the best defender in the WAC was out. According to Sagarin's rankings. Utah's schedule strength is 107. Utah state is 130. Hmmm don't see much difference. Enjoy losing to BYU this week.

• Anonymous
    March 2, 2010 9:56 a.m.

It is too bad Henderson didn't end up on the same team as Tavernari (as long as the team they ended up on wasn't BYU or Utah). They would be kindred spirits, jacking up threes and losing their cool together.

• MAFU
    March 2, 2010 9:37 a.m.

You live by the three you die by the three. The little guy can shoot it, but as Norman Dale put it in Hoosiers, "there's more to the game than shooting." It pains me when our two best offensive players (Henderson & Brown) shoot us out of so many offensive possesions.

I appreciate the renewed emphasis on defense that Coach Boylen has instilled in the program, but our "NBA" offense is craptacular. It revolves around one on one play, the high ball screen (which takes Foster & Wash out of the paint/position), driving to the cup and kicking it open shooters, etc. In a nutshell this system works with Lebron and Kobe, but not Carlon Brown. The ball is one guys hands the majority of the time and there is no movement by the other players. WYO knew what play/set we were running all game long on Saturday.

I hope that we can show up tomorrow night and play with some passion and composure.

Go Utes!

BTW: Was it just me or did the 40th Anniversary video tribute to the Huntsman Center just completely gloss over a certain coach that enjoyed wearing sweaters?

• I certainly hope
    March 2, 2010 9:31 a.m.

that I'm there for the shot from the "U" and I hope he makes it. BUT I hope he doesn't do it if the game is on the line cause I don't think he could get out of the Huntsman center fast enough with Boylen coming after him!!! GO UTES!!

• Re: Impressive
    March 2, 2010 9:29 a.m.

How many of those ballers you have stats of are True FRESHMEN. I think that is what the article was trying to say. Not that he isn't better than all the people you quoted stats from, but the simple fact he is a young true freshmen. I like Boylen and I think if we give him time all Ute fans will like him.

• Henderson
    March 2, 2010 9:25 a.m.

First of all he is not 6'2....if anyone was to look at his shooting percentage they'd realize how bad he is. I could score 15ppg for the Utes if i was shooting 20 times a game. Im a utah fan but i just dont think he's that good. On the other hand, he's a lot better than Jace Tavita. I dont understand why Tavita even plays.

• Re Impressive
    March 2, 2010 9:19 a.m.

Yet Utah State failed to obtain the most important stat, the one that really matters. Go back to crunching the percentage points and know that this year, even all those that shot better percents failed where it counts. I hope your percents are elevated when you play the teams you do year in, year out.

• DRLL
    March 2, 2010 9:11 a.m.

The last thing we need is for Henderson to shoot the ball more. The Utes would be dramatically better if they improved their shot selection relative to the game situation. How many times do you see them take a very early 3 pointer, a shot you can get at almost any time in the shot clock, instead of making the defense work and taking a higher percentage look at the basket? You can play tough defense (which the Utes do a good deal of the time) but if you don't rebound, take care of the ball and take good shots (none of which the Utes do well) it doesn't matter how well you defend. You will give up too many offensive opportunities for the other team and lose a majority of your games

• Ernest T. Bass
    March 2, 2010 9:09 a.m.

What is most impressive about Henderson is he's the bright spot on a team with a .500 record.

• Ricky
    March 2, 2010 9:03 a.m.

BYU by 15 tomorrow.

• danburtreynolds
    March 2, 2010 8:26 a.m.

Henderson is a heck of a player, and I love that he gets under the skin of so many people. Granted, if he weren't on my team, I'm sure I wouldn't care for him, but he is on my team, so I love it.

HIs shooting will improve, and his shot selection has already improved over the season, along with his defense.

I look forward to seeing the Utes chalk up a "W" tomorrow

As always a Boylen believer and proud of it.

Go Utes

• astroboy
    March 2, 2010 8:12 a.m.

he really has been the bright spot in what has been one of the more disappointing seasons in recent memory. I just hope he can continue to improve, because Carlon Brown was also a guy who's future looked bright, but has hit a wall developmentally.

• Shooting Percentages
    March 2, 2010 7:39 a.m.

I think Henderson should be reigned in. Poor shot selection leads to a shooting percentage under 40%. I can't believe that my Utes are putting their hopes each game on a guy that shoots such a low percentage.

• Lunch
    March 2, 2010 7:25 a.m.

was handed to him during the Wyoming game. The poor kid couldn't do jack squat during that game. He's over rated in my book!!!

• Impressive
    March 2, 2010 7:16 a.m.

38% from 3 is really impressive. So impressive that five guys on the Utah State team shoot better than that and their whole team shoots four and a half percent better. BYU has six guys who shoot better than 37.9% and as a team shoot three and a half percent better.

• John
    March 2, 2010 7:14 a.m.

Henderson's defense is keeping the other team in the game too. Keep up the good work.