Dick Harmon: Plenty will still be on the line for Cougars and Utes

• Re: anonymous @ 6:23
    March 3, 2010 2:07 p.m.

You correctly stated the winning percentage for the U is 53.8% and for the y the percentage is 28.9%. Let me point out how remarkable the 53.8% is!!! In a single elimination tournament one half of the teams winning percentage is 0.0%!!! (Don't you know it cougars!) 25% of the teams winning percentage is 50%. That leaves only 25% of the teams to have a higher percentage than 50%. Utah's percentage of 53.8% means it averages in the highest 25% or said another way - in a field of 64 teams Utah has AVERAGED in the "sweet 16"!!!!!!! INCREDIBLE!!!!

• The Pattern is
    March 2, 2010 7:18 p.m.

living in the past for Utah fans

• The Pattern Is!!!
    March 2, 2010 6:56 p.m.

The future of the Ute program is here! Now!

"This is the tournament of the future. It is going to be a huge tournament. The Gazelle Group, which runs this tournament, does most of the first-class, big time, in-season tournaments. To be affiliated with them and be the first school to commit to them was a huge step in helping us schedule."
    ---Houston Head Coach Tom Penders, 2008 CBI participant

I'm so fetchin' excited to go again now!!! It's the FUTURE!!!

• re:Response to 3:27 PM | 5:30 p.
    March 2, 2010 6:47 p.m.

I disagree. Why?

I am President of the University of Utah and BYU, I am also Defacto President of Yale, Harvard, and Stanford.

I am Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court, and I also work nights as Prime Minister of Great Britain.

I was lead counsel for Marbury v Madison, Plessy v Ferguson, and Brown v Board of Education.

I have ran all three professional sports leagues, and I beat Chuck Norris and Mike Ditka in a cage match.

I would love to explain to you why listing your so-called credentials on a board at the Des News really does not establish your credibility, but I need to run baptize the Pope, as he will become a Mormon tonight, and we meet with Joseph Smith tomorrow morning at 8:00 AM.

Oh, but I will submit to you that BYU won the National Championship. I'd love to get your legal opinion on that one.

• NevadaCoug
    March 2, 2010 6:34 p.m.

One thing that I think we can feel pretty comfortable with: The Utes will either lose to BYU, or Colorado State, or both. They can't win both, since that would put them 2 games above .500, something they haven't been able to do all year.

• Duh
    March 2, 2010 6:33 p.m.

.....and it is so funny how Yewtie fans keep telling BYU fans to quite living in the past when all the Yewts keep reminding us of their past. For both fans, again who cares? The past means nothing, it cannot help the future and no matter what, it won't help me get a victory. Live in the present people, the past does nothing but allow some fans to just be stupid.....of course maybe they just don't have anything to do but google who did this, who did that......yawn

• Anonymous
    March 2, 2010 6:23 p.m.

@ The pattern is... | 5:39 p.m. March 2, 2010

The pattern is:

Utah - 27 total appearances, 35-30 overall record (.538 winning percentage)

BYU - 24 total appearances, 11-27 overall record (.289 winning percentage)

This pattern also repeats itself in football post season play.

Keep pounding your chest Cougs.

• Hey anonymous at 7:38 am
    March 2, 2010 5:41 p.m.

.....and all the other Yewtes.... We really don't care at this point. The game means nothing. Why don't you think most of us are just yawning right now. Ok maybe for pride...well I sure can't find any other reason to get excited about this game.

• The pattern is...
    March 2, 2010 5:39 p.m.

Utah got EMBARRASSED the last time the Utes went dancing; thankfully for the Utes, they don't have to worry about being embarrassed very often anymore, since they're usually watching the tournament from the comfort of their parents' couch in the basement.

2006 no big dance
    2007 no big dance
    2008 no big dance
    2010 no big dance

• Response to 3:27 PM
    March 2, 2010 5:30 p.m.

Only because you asked who told me about law school... my instructors, my son (graduating from Virginia School of Law - one of the top 10 law schools in America), my son-in-law (BYU Law School), my brother-in-law (Utah Law School), my father-in-law (Yale Law School), not to mention nephews, etc. Did someone tell you differently?

• I love when people bring stats
    March 2, 2010 5:28 p.m.

I never take the time to google them myself...

So, in the last five years, Utah has had doble digits in the loss column, and BYU has had single digits?

BYU has beat Utah 3 out of the last 4 times in football.

And, by law decreed by Uties, BYU fans can never bring up the Heisman, Doak Walker, Davey O'Brien (who won a Heisman at TCU, the only other school in the MWC to do so), multiple Outland Trophies (Merlin Olsen earned one at USU), or the National Championship, or even a John Wooden Award winner... or anything else from the past, except their two BCS games (which will mean squat when the BCS folds in the next 5 years or so)...

Taking everything into account, how can a Utah Fan, with an ounce of logic in their brain, even compare their program to that of BYU?

I mean, if BYU was that pathetic, I would still wear my BYU hat, but I would never get into a arguement over which school had the better program.

No wonder so few BYU fans jump on to argue like the Ute fan complained earlier...

Argue about what???

• Anonymous
    March 2, 2010 4:57 p.m.

@ #12 | 4:22 p.m. March 2, 2010

The answer is BYU has never lost to a #12 seed because they have NEVER BEEN SEEDED high enough to play one (#5).

Look at BYU's last 10 years in the Big Dance:

2001 - First round loss
    2003 - First round loss
    2004 - First round loss
    2007 - First round loss
    2008 - First round loss
    2009 - First round loss

Are we starting to see a pattern here?

• Last hurrah for Utah basketball
    March 2, 2010 4:52 p.m.

Since 2004-2005

BYU has won 41 more games than Utah!

Utah has lost more games in its best year, than BYU has lost in its worst year!

2006 14-15
    2007 11-19
    2008 18-15
    2009 25-10
    2010 14-14
    Total 82-73 (53%)

2006 20-9
    2007 25-9
    2008 27-7
    2009 25-8
    2010 26-4
    Total 123-37 (77%)

• Anonymous
    March 2, 2010 4:37 p.m.

Utes, congrats on your BCS wins and your 2005 season. I agree, you used to be pretty good.

• #12
    March 2, 2010 4:22 p.m.

When was the last time Utah or BYU lost to a #12 seed?

Now THAT would be embarrassing!

• On the line...
    March 2, 2010 4:20 p.m.

BYU vs Utah

Bottom line: it doesn't really matter what else is "on the line"

all you need to know is that it's

BYU vs Utah!

• Anonymous
    March 2, 2010 4:08 p.m.

@ Dick | 6:51 a.m. March 2, 2010 -

You can't remember a game in the last 10 years that has had less meaning than this one?

Let me refresh your memory.

2005 game when Utah (27-5) beat BYU (9-21) 69-60 en route to a Sweet 16 appearance in the NCAA tournament. Seriously, has BYU ever been to the Sweet 16? I don't recall if they have.

In any case, tomorrow's game has more meaning for BYU than 2005's game did for Utah.

• Re: RE:Perspective
    March 2, 2010 3:57 p.m.

When did BYU move to the midwest?

Also, I still don't get how you can talk trash. Case in point, even though we beat you head to head in football and in bball, we can't say anything until we win in March or a 3rd tier bowl game? I don't get it.

• Re:Perspective
    March 2, 2010 3:39 p.m.

Ooops apologies BYU does not have a 10-20 NCAA record they have an 11-27 NCAA record.

• RE:Perspective
    March 2, 2010 3:37 p.m.

How's this for perspective.. BYU's SoS is worse than Utah's. BYU's RPI is much lower than their poll ranking and until BYU actually does ANYTHING of note in the NCAA they are just an overrated midwest school. Good thing BYU's 10-20 record in the NCAA is so stellar..it's almost as good as your football teams bowl record.

• Re: Re:Stan (again)post at 9:06A
    March 2, 2010 3:27 p.m.

I'm with you 100% but to argue that your 3rd tier bowl wins makes you guys a better program or to say that we're not a better program because we can't win 3rd tier bowl games is ridiculous. I'd take conference championships over the car care bowl championship any day.

Also, who told you about law school?

Lastly, how can you guys talk any trash about anything right now? Football, we beat you. Basketball, that is a swear word on your campus right now. I don't get it. What ground do you have to stand on in athletics whatsoever?

• Nothing Riding at all.....
    March 2, 2010 3:17 p.m.

When BYU beats Utah in football, all the talk is about Max Hall, or Austin Collie quotes.

When BYU beats Utah in basketball, all the talk is about Utah's punch.

Bottom line, if Utah wins, they are the greatest team in Utah State History (Mike Sorensen football last year).

If BYU wins, Utah will cloud the issue and pretend they still have the Top Team in the Nation...

BYU has owned Utah in Basketball and Football over the past years, except for very few exceptions, and they still talk like they are the better team.

It would be funny for them to prove it on a consistent basis, which won't happen. Geeze, Uties, go prove it against SW Baptist, the Vandals or Seattle, before you step into the ring with a real team...

(BTW, I was not going to post on this at all, because there is no reason to kick a weak team when they are down, but "Hawk | 8:27 a.m. March 2, 2010" felt the need for some "Big Brother is going to kick your behind again" talk from his Big Brothers, so there you go, pal...)

Yeah, HUGE game............

• Re: Re: Re: stan (again)
    March 2, 2010 3:04 p.m.

1. Typical Utah fan always living in the past
    2. So just to get it straight, we can beat you but still not talk trash until we win a bunch of 4th tier bowl games? Makes sense.
    3. Also we can only talk trash when we win college football's bronze medal(Non-championship BCS game), even though we've won college football's gold? Again, making a ton of sense here.

Forget about sports, you guys are incredibly smart!

• Re:Stan (again)post at 9:06AM
    March 2, 2010 3:02 p.m.

GREAT COMEBACK!!! In law school they teach, "If you have a case - argue the case! If you don't have a case - argue that 80% of Utah's bowl opponents were "there on vacation"!! (To strengthen your case you could point out that 63.5% of BYU's bowl teams also went "there on vacation"!! Well, one thing we all can probably agree on is that it IS better to beat a "7-5 team" (or a 6-5 Michigan team) than to lose to a 7-5 team!!!

• What in tucket?
    March 2, 2010 2:56 p.m.

I don't know any Cougar fans who think this game is a push over. Jimmer may play, but probably not at his best. Utah has some good personnel.

• Perspective
    March 2, 2010 1:47 p.m.

Saying BYU doesn't need this game is kinda like saying Utah didn't need their game last year with SW Baptist. Yeah, they don't really NEED it but to lose it would be an incredible embarrasment. Hope Utah hurries and gets that invite to the Pac 10 so the MWC RPI stops suffering.

• Re: Funny
    March 2, 2010 1:36 p.m.

I'm sorry if nobody ever explained this to you and you can't figure this out, but teams ALWAYS want as high a seed as possible because it gives that team the best opportunity to succeed in the tournament (not just in the first round). #1 seeds get the easiest path followed by #2 seeds, etc. Your implication that wanting a better seeding is some kind of admission to being overrated is completely absurd. Although, I do know of one #5 seed that lost to a #12 seed last season. Now that's a team that was clearly overrated.

• WhizzofRed&White
    March 2, 2010 1:22 p.m.

the Yners need this game badly---can u imagine what would happen if they lose!! they would drop out of Top 25, and would be a laugh for the Sin City Tourney.

Really Zooooobies---if ya'all go beat you would be the laughing stock of the MWC. buck up there Yners--ya boays could not stand the fire of a lose on the hill!!!!
    All your bleepin crying will be heard for miles around if U lose!!!!!

• Re: Re: stan (again)
    March 2, 2010 1:20 p.m.

Re:stan (again)

Remember when we killed you in football last year and beat alabama in the sugar bowl, that is not a 7 and 5 team if I recall. Trash talk when you have a consistent bowl winning team, byu loses to the 7 and 5 teams in bowl games by the way (arizona) and when you actually have a bcs game on your resume, not to mention 2.

• Funny
    March 2, 2010 12:34 p.m.

It's funny you're so worried about losing to the U because of your NCAA seeding. If you are one of the top 15 teams in the country, it shouldn't matter what seed you have. When you're a top 15 team for so long, then it should be pretty easy to beat the team you face. Is this your claim to being over rated? It wasn't this Ute fan who said it, but your beloved byU-loving-Dick who said it.

• re: The only thing
    March 2, 2010 12:28 p.m.

Yes the U is going nowhere from here. That's the point. They can put BYU in a position to get beat yet again in the first round of the big dance. If we get beat by the Utes we will get ann 8 or 9 seed. Do you won't that? I don't. They only way the pathetic Utah basketball team can salvage their season is being beating us.

• The only thing
    March 2, 2010 11:59 a.m.

on the line is BYU's seeding at the NCAA's and whether uthaha will finish under .500. The u is going nowhere from here.

• re: Dick
    March 2, 2010 11:57 a.m.

Are you kidding me. There is a ton riding on this game. If Utah beats us, we will get a 8 or 9 seed. Is that what you want?

• Silly Yners
    March 2, 2010 11:32 a.m.

This game means nothing to the Y? Are you serious?

A loss to the U may not affect their seed in the MWC tourney, but seeding in the NCAAs would definately be affected. A loss to a .500 team is generally considered a "bad" loss; nevermind that it's your hated rival.

Now, the loss to NM probably cost them one spot but a loss to Utah would likely cost them at least two. It's late in the season and seed stocks rise and fall quickly. Whereas they could be a 5 or 6 seed (whoulda been higher with a win over the Lobos), a loss to Utah could plummet them to a 7 or 8 if they fail to win the MWC tourney and considering their Sabbath obligations. BYU's been a 7 before. That usually means they'll play an underachieving athletic team from a superior conference.

Translation...another first round exit.

So yes, Y fans, you need this win more than the Utes. So don't pretend otherwise.

But here's hoping the Utes pull it off.

• Jimmer = Boozer
    March 2, 2010 11:01 a.m.

Plays well when he's healthy, but misses entirely too many games.

• Dick II
    March 2, 2010 10:37 a.m.

To 9:37 am (MT in MD).

I clearly said that BYU is "basically" locked into the #2 MWC slot. Sure, there is a chance BYU can tie for a championship. But, the chances are remote. Also, even with a co-championship, BYU is the #2 seed.

The only way BYU can't be a #2 seed in the tournament is if they slip to #3. That is pretty remote also.

• Miles
    March 2, 2010 10:08 a.m.

Why are you quoting Chris Miles? He is byu's 10th best player, and not very good at all. Could you really not get anyone better to talk to you?

• Cougarf@n
    March 2, 2010 10:02 a.m.

Yawn. Is it tournament time yet? Of course this game is important. Utah needs this game to have a shot at staying above .500 on the season, BYU needs this game to remain ranked and for seeding purposes at the NCAAs, and its still the rivalry game. So it does matter, even if it has no bearing on the Vegas Invitational seeding. I definitely prefer this game to have the conference championship, but it's still a high energy game and great preparation for the post-season.

Go Cougars

• Re: Stan (again) | 9:06 a.m.
    March 2, 2010 9:53 a.m.

Congrats, your bowl wins are awesome, you guys consistently beat 7-5 teams that are there on vacation. Also, once you guys beat BYU at football, then you can talk football trash.

Guess that just leaves women's gymnastics trash talk for you buddy. Have at us!

• Re: Anonymous | 7:38 a.m.
    March 2, 2010 9:48 a.m.

Who is NW? Northwestern? Let me guess, you go or went to Utah?

• sad but true
    March 2, 2010 9:44 a.m.

There really is very little on the line for either team. The fans who I know are not as jacked as usual. Plus, the outcome is all but certain. Utah, as "scrappy" as it is, is not as good as BYU.

• Lost the chance for the title?
    March 2, 2010 9:37 a.m.

I love how Dick has just written off the regular season title as impossible. Unless my math is way off, BYU has three losses with two games to play, and New Mexico has two losses with one game to play. It's at least mathematically possible (maybe highly unlikely) for New Mexico to lose to the jabronies they play this week and for BYU to win out, leaving each team at 13-3 in conference play, thus sharing the regular season conference title.

But Dick is having none of that. The Cougs have lost any chance at the title according to him.

--MT in MD

• William
    March 2, 2010 9:33 a.m.

Here is one Lobo fan hoping BYU holds serve against Utah. I usually favor Utah, but in the best interest of the MWC I favor a BYU winning out their regular season schedule. I have the highest respect for Dave Rose. He is one of the classy coaches in the NCAA. A BYU loss will only serve to erode their RPI, national ranking and a favorable seed in the NCAA. To say that nothing is on the line is plain silly.

• Stan (again)
    March 2, 2010 9:06 a.m.

In my 10:15 p.m. comment above I did not have the exact numbers for the post season basketball comparison. But I do have the exact numbers for the same comparison for football bowl games. Mr. Harmon's quote would read "But if Utah quit playing in bowl games today and BYU won his next 59 bowl games in a row, BYU would still be one game behind Utah's career record!!!" (If they were consecutive years, that would be the year 2068!!!!!!!!!) Mr. Harmon, your comparison is "right on" in all three evaluations of the two school's athletic programs.

• Not a lot at stake
    March 2, 2010 9:06 a.m.

I found myself agreeing with the first paragraph. I think the utes have the inside track on this game because the rivalry with BYU is more important to the school up north than a championship and the Cougars were so focused on a 4-peat that they won't be able to get up for the utes last gasp at respectabilty this year.

But it might be better for BYU really turn it on in a rematch with New Mexico at the conference tournament, instead of losing energy by spilling it all over the utes.

Please, Dave Rose, don't waste a sick Jimmer on the utes.

• It's now March
    March 2, 2010 8:49 a.m.

and it's time for MADNESS!! Did the Cougars peak and are now sliding into the tournament? Have the Utes finally started climbing a peak? The game will be tight! I hope ALL the fans show class and enjoy the game as an epic battle between two rivals and don't turn it ugly in any way. Respect the Coaches, respect the young Players and respect each other so that everyone can enjoy this game. GO UTES!!!

• Hawk
    March 2, 2010 8:27 a.m.

Hilarious, anonymous. Interestingly, you're right -- Cougar fans aren't really talking much about this game. Hard to get up for relatively insignificant game against a .500 opponent who has turned out to be mostly irrelevant this year....

When does the tournament start?

• Frozen Chosen
    March 2, 2010 8:05 a.m.

Way to mail it in, Dick!

• Stanley
    March 2, 2010 7:47 a.m.

Keep on living in the glory days of the past. Works for some of the Cougar fans and I'm sure it will work for you.

For tomorrow's game I hope both teams play as well as they each expect and are capable. That way no one will be surprised when the Cougars return to Provo with a 27-4 record.

• Anonymous
    March 2, 2010 7:38 a.m.

Interesting how very few kewgs are talking about the game tomorrow. Deep down they know a painful lose is coming to zoobie nation.

Kewg is looking at a 3rd place finish in the MWC.... seem's like it was just yesterday when Kewg was spouting off on how they would beat NW by 15 and win the MWC.

• Ernest T. Bass
    March 2, 2010 7:30 a.m.

If rose would win all his games then he would win all his games.
    we would be undefeated and win all the games if the refs didn't call us on fouls.

• Miles
    March 2, 2010 6:54 a.m.

Miles' comment should state that Rose doesn't lose two regular season games in a row.

Every year he's been the head coach, he's ended the season at least on a two game losing streak. He has always lost the final game BYU has played in the MWC tournament followed by the opening round loss in the NIT/NCAA.

• Dick
    March 2, 2010 6:51 a.m.

In reality, there is really not much on the line in this game.

BYU is basically locked in to the #2 seed for the tournament. Utah is the 5/6 seed. BYU is a lock for the big dance. Utah is locked out (barring a miracle in LV).

I can't think of a Utah/BYU game over the past 10 years that has meant less than this one.

• Tuties
    March 2, 2010 6:30 a.m.

go back to under .500
    Go Cougars and Jimmer get well soon.

• What's up?
    March 2, 2010 5:59 a.m.

I guess you got to write something about this game.

• Stan
    March 1, 2010 10:15 p.m.

Interesting observation, "But if Rose quit coaching today and Boylen won his next 67 games in a row, Boylen would still be one game behind Rose's career record as the Cougar coach." Interesting because that is about the same number of NCAA tournament games the Courgars would have to win in a row to have the same winning percentage the Utes now enjoy!!!