U.S. & World

LDS missionaries safe, accounted for in areas affected by earthquake

Comments

• Elder Bundy
    March 3, 2010 8:00 a.m.

Presidente Verdugo and family are from Rancaqua, and the last I heard he was serving in the Concepcion mission. Does anyone know anything about how he and his family are faring?

• CONCERNED!!!
    March 2, 2010 3:49 p.m.

My brother is serving in the Concepcion South Mission and we still have not heard anything except that he is "accounted for". Someone finally told us that "accounted for" could be second or third hand information. I think the church was premature in saying that everyone was safe, because they are not. They are without food, water, and power and it has been almost four days! We, along with many other families want information about our loved ones.

• Gary Stenzel
    March 1, 2010 11:35 p.m.

Anyone who knows about Elder Garrett Nichols who lived in Dichato, Chile (near center of quake) and how he is doing, the information would be greatly appreciated for his family, ward and friends.

• Looting the old
    March 1, 2010 10:45 p.m.

Have you seen the NEWS lately on all the looting going on in Chile. It's disgusting watching the younger ones rob the older ones in News. I certainly hope all the church members are safe and not being robbed. Did this stuff go on as well in the Haitian earth quake?

• L&K Krout
    March 1, 2010 9:34 p.m.

I want to thank area and local church authorities who spent many, many hours trying to get families the best news, "the missionaries are alive and accounted for" Yes as a parent who has a son serving in the city of Talcahuano in conception south mission, we are awaiting for more information, but our missionaries are in the hands of the Lord. This is especially comforting at this difficult time. We pray for all in Chile and especially for those families who have lost loved ones. May we all have patience and be strong for our missionaries. They will have alot of choice experiences to share with us when they return.

• Anonymous
    March 1, 2010 8:39 p.m.

not ALL of this information is true. I just contacted my brother today, he is serving his mission in Chile. and not ALL of the missionaries are safe. some places have been drowned and they need their everyday necesities..such as WATER. some one needs to do something NOW.

• Cantua
    March 1, 2010 5:17 p.m.

Our son is in the Concepcion Mission and today is the day he usually emails. We have not heard from him yet. We know times are rough over there and he probably is OK, but we would really like to know for sure. His name is Elder James Cantua. If anyone has heard from him please let us know.

• Hathaway
    March 1, 2010 2:11 p.m.

I have heard from my son who is in Linares, Chile. He said that the area was not hit very hard. As some places were. He said the stuff that we are seeing on TV are the bad areas but alot are fine.

• Concerned for Chilenos
    March 1, 2010 11:18 a.m.

I lived for 2 years in Santiago as an LDS missionary. I have many friends in Chile and am concerned about them.

Deseret News, please continue to report on this disaster

• barrio cusco
    March 1, 2010 8:37 a.m.

we have some friends in chiles mission we heart about one sister she is ok but we dont know nothing about his brother we are from cusco peru their las name is carazas pleas if any one know about them tell us god bles all members in chile

• Anonymous
    March 1, 2010 2:07 a.m.

We are soo thankful that our missionaries are safe, and all or most are accounted for. I am soo thankful to everyone for their update's. We love all our our fellow brother's and sister's, and thank heavenly father that they are safe. Again, thank you so much for the updates.

• Luz Ramirez
    Feb. 28, 2010 10:08 p.m.

Hola gracias por todos los comentarios de los misioneros en Chile Concepcin Sur y quisiera saber si alguien sabe en que zona estn los misioneros que tiene a su cargo el Presidente Swenson, mi hijo el elder Narvez est en el grupo del hno. Swenson, por favor ayudenme!!!...

• Re: Omar Aranda
    Feb. 28, 2010 9:48 p.m.

Muchas gracias, hermano. Nuestros misioneros y misioneras aman a los Chilenos tambien.

• Chile Santiago East
    Feb. 28, 2010 9:42 p.m.

The wife of our son's mission president runs a blog, and thankfully she was able to post that all missionaries were safe early Saturday morning. It made a huge difference for us, we were able to take the news alot better knowing that.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 28, 2010 8:13 p.m.

Any news about sister Andrea Carzoli sister missionary in the Concecpcion area?

• Anonymous
    Feb. 28, 2010 7:57 p.m.

We also have a loved one serving his mission in Rancagua. We have yet to hear directly from him, but we are thankful that the Church has informed us that all missionaries have been accounted for. I do know that there has been no power/elec. in Rancagua so communication is difficult.

• Beth
    Feb. 28, 2010 7:53 p.m.

All about the LDS Church, nice... Just another reason!

• melody
    Feb. 28, 2010 7:26 p.m.

any information on the condition of Rancaqua or Paine Chile: have a daughter serving a mission there????...Thanks

• Concepcion South mission
    Feb. 28, 2010 6:47 p.m.

I talked to President Sweneson's mother-in-law and she said all of the missionaries are safe and no injuries. We don't have any other information.

• Bessy Ramirez
    Feb. 28, 2010 5:46 p.m.

Thank God for updates from churh officials said missionaries are OK. However, I would appreciate if anyone have heard of Elder Narvaez or someone near him. We are from Honduras and are very concern about his whereabouts. Thank you!

• Jill
    Feb. 28, 2010 4:52 p.m.

My sister and her family live in Arauco, part of the Concepcion South mission. Do any of you have children, friends, or relatives serving there? We haven't heard from her and can't find any information on Arauco in the national media (probably because it's such a small town). It sounds like it was right in the middle of the hardest hit area - we would appreciate any information anyone out there has. Thanks.

• Grandma Marilyn
    Feb. 28, 2010 2:19 p.m.

Thanks so much for the official and detailed update about our missionaries. My grandson is in the Conception South mission. We appreciate how well organized the church communication and humanitarian efforts are. We're also grateful for the opportunity to donate to the humanitarian fund, knowing that it is in good hands.

• Pete/Delores Herrera
    Feb. 28, 2010 2:08 p.m.

We served a mission 2 years ago in Santiago Temple.We met alot of wonderful people there.We pray to our Heavenly Father that they are all well.
    Our prayers go out to all the people of Chile.

• One Life At A Time OLAAT
    Feb. 28, 2010 12:08 p.m.

WE at OLAAT pray for all the missionaries serving in Chile, specially for those who participated in our pre missionary program
    Bro and Sister C Torres - Honduras

• Bessy
    Feb. 28, 2010 11:52 a.m.

I'm thankful to know all missionaries are safe. My cousin is in Concepcion South Mission. I there a way to know in what part are they being kept, so we know exactly in what place they are and their conditions? Please anyone can help?

• Anonymous
    Feb. 28, 2010 11:11 a.m.

please if somebody have comunication with any missionary from concepcion south mission please let us know, the name of my cousin is Sister o Hermana Cabrera her famly is so worry in Mexico City.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 28, 2010 10:56 a.m.

My best friends' son is serving in Chile. Myself has a son serving a mission too. I can't imagine the anguish parents were living yesterday. You have faith but if the Lord himself said there is joy in heaven for a saved soul, that means he also cares and worries about us. If he does, why not us? I am still waiting to hear from a good childhood friend of mine who lives there. I hope she and her family are doing ok. My prayers to the chilean people.

• Judy
    Feb. 28, 2010 10:38 a.m.

Thank you for letting us know that our missionaries are fine.

• Lizzy
    Feb. 28, 2010 10:12 a.m.

I served a mission in the santiago south mission 10 years ago. I am concerned about the people there I know. Does anyone have any current information about the damage to specific areas, such as Pichilemu, Santa Cruz, Peumo? Or a website to find out such information? Thanks.

• Glad to hear their ok
    Feb. 28, 2010 10:00 a.m.

I have taught two different districts that went to Concepcion South in the MTC and I am very glad to hear they are all okay. I get emails from one of them every week who is currently serving in Talca. I look forward to his next one!

I hope they get out there and work hard to help other people get back into their homes. Dios bendiga a los chilenos!

• jason
    Feb. 28, 2010 8:56 a.m.

Joy, How could you be so arrogant and condecending? Empathy is also a virtue. Give it a try. Understand what parent and relatives were going through

• Chile NOT Chili
    Feb. 28, 2010 8:16 a.m.

the name of the country is "Chile" not "Chili" (note the "e" on the end of the name)

• 1st CAV
    Feb. 28, 2010 6:30 a.m.

Prayers are going out to all the loved ones in Chile. That includes the families back home that are still waiting on a response. Just know others like myself know what your going through.

• Eddie
    Feb. 28, 2010 12:29 a.m.

My cousins name is Father Sony Venus, missionaries from Phillipines serving in Parokya Espiritu Santo, Santiago Chile. If anyone knows about the situation
    please post it here.God bless all of them.

• Rochelle
    Feb. 27, 2010 11:14 p.m.

My best friend just got sent to Chili on his mission. His parents said he is accounted for but we have heard nothing else. They won't give us any other information. We are all just waiting to hear from him. This is horrible. I'm happy he is accounted for but still worried. Thank you for the reassuance. I am keeping all of the missionaries in my prayers and I'm anxious to hear more good news...

• Milton
    Feb. 27, 2010 11:08 p.m.

Our Brother, Elder Marn from Costa Rica is in the Robinson Crusoe Island (Juan Fernndez). We now he is ok with his companyon. The island looks completely destroyed. Our prayers for them.

• Correna
    Feb. 27, 2010 10:53 p.m.

My son is serving in the Vina del Mar Mission. Have heard all missionaries are safe. Just haven't heard from him. Love and miss him. Proud of the work he is doing. God bless all of them.

• anon
    Feb. 27, 2010 10:16 p.m.

I was in Chile during 9/11. I remember watching it unfold on a tv in a cafe. So many strangers came up to me to wish us well and gave their condelences. Although I would prefer it not be under these circumstances, I am sure that we as a nation will return the same courtesies to the chilean people. Que Dios les cuide y bendiga.

• Connor
    Feb. 27, 2010 9:06 p.m.

Whew I'm soo happy my best friend is there and I'm just so relieved everything is ok.

• DHammon
    Feb. 27, 2010 8:30 p.m.

My wife and I were just in Chile--Santiago, Talca, and south. Our hearts and prayers extend to all of our friends in Chile, especially those we have not heard from in Talca. Que Dios les bendiga a todos los Chileanos durante este tiempo.

• Karen Huggans
    Feb. 27, 2010 8:07 p.m.

My son is in South Concepcion Mission closest to the center of the Quake...we had moved and changed all phone numbers except his old cell number which my youngest son carries but lost 3 days ago. We got a call from the person who found the phone about 1 hour before the mission doctor got thru to tell us he was okay... So Grateful for the small miracles and the big ones...

• Re: All Concerned
    Feb. 27, 2010 7:57 p.m.

What happened today was that there were a lot of good people doing their best in a dangerous situation. If something was wrong, parents were contacted. The mission presidents and their wives did all they could to find information as quickly as possible. We should all be grateful for that. Also, there was a doctor from California and his wife that spent the day searching for and caring for our missionaries. As I watched the news unfold, I was grateful for the wonderful system in place for us to find out about our children living on the other side of the world. I am truly grateful that our son is safe. I pray for all those who have been impacted. 500,000 damaged or destroyed homes is devastating. I pray for those of all faiths. May the Lord bless them all.

• Omar Aranda
    Feb. 27, 2010 7:47 p.m.

Soy de Chile. Fue espantoso el terremoto, cre que yo y mi familia moriramos. Pero el Seor nos preserv, gracias a …l por eso.
    Desde el comienzo del terremoto se perdi todo tipo de comunicaciones, servicios bsicos y transporte.
    En el transcurso del da las cosas poco a poco van tomando su normalidad y se puede establecer contacto con los lugares que estaban aislados.
    Realmente los misioneros estn bien. El liderazgo local tiene como prioridad cuidar de ellos y sabemos que estn sanos y salvos.
    En programas de noticias no se ha mencionado nada con respecto a los misioneros y eso es la mejor seal.
    Un abrazo grande para todos los que tenis misioneros en Chile, gracias por ser como Nuestro Padre Celestial y mandarnos a sus hijos a ensearnos.
    Amamos a los misioneros y a sus familias.

• Claudia
    Feb. 27, 2010 7:12 p.m.

I am so grateful to hear that all the missionaries are safe! I have a brother in the Santiago East mission and have been worried all day, So,now let's just pray for everyone else in Chile!

• Anonymous
    Feb. 27, 2010 6:53 p.m.

My little brother is serving in the North Chile Mission and I am thankful that he is okay. And for all you family members that called the church headquarters to inquire news about your loved ones thank you because that is what anyone would do if they had a loved one missing. So there is nothing wrong with that. So to those of you out there who are saying to quit bombarding the mission headquarters its really not your business.

• Re: Howard Stevens
    Feb. 27, 2010 6:50 p.m.

Glad to hear that Phillip is safe. I'm sure that the last few hours have been tough trying to figure out his status, as well as Kevin's. Hope everyone else in your family is doing well. We miss you from the Hillsboro, Missouri ward and appreciate all that you and your family did for us.

Shawn Udy and family.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 27, 2010 5:54 p.m.

I am glad to hear all missionaries are accounted for and safe. My son's best friend is serving in the Concepcion South Mission and I emailed his family to see what they had heard. I am sure they will be busy helping those who lost homes, etc. I hope that the death toll doesn't rise. It is hard to go through a big earthquake. I went through the 1989 San Francisco earthquake and that was really scary. That was much less than the size of the Chile earthquake. All in Chile are in our prayers.

• Thankful Grandy
    Feb. 27, 2010 5:45 p.m.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the opportunity of finding out about missionaries in Chile. My grandson is currently in his second year of his mission and my mind is so much more relieved after reviewing this site, as I am sure are the minds of my daughter and the rest of her family as well as others related to the young people serving in Chile. I am now contacting the rest of my family to let them know that Elder Hand is accounted for. May the heavenly Father pour blessings on everyone in the country and those that will be helping with reconstruction.

• Jann
    Feb. 27, 2010 5:24 p.m.

Glad to hear the missionaries are all accounted for. Our prayers go out for the chilean people and the rest of the world that may have problems with the tsunamis.

• joy
    Feb. 27, 2010 5:02 p.m.

My question is? Why are people calling church headquarters? Let them get their info to you through the church website and not bombarding them with all the phones calls. I understand imitate family members or leaders of stake, wards, and branches with individuals serving in that area. Think about it. Really! Are you on the need to know list?
    I found out everyone was safe without intruding or being pushy just by going online. TaDa! Patience is a virtue so I've heard.
    And I'm thankful they are all safe and will continue to be so.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 27, 2010 4:46 p.m.

Oh my goodness we are so relieved that all the missionaries are okay. My brother is serving the Concepcion missionary and wow so much stress is gone Thank you thank you heavenly father

• Katie Dixson
    Feb. 27, 2010 4:12 p.m.

Just called church headquarters. They said all missionaries in Concepcion South Mission are safe and accounted for. We are so grateful!!!

• L E Simmons
    Feb. 27, 2010 4:10 p.m.

Our son is serving in Santiago North and stationed in San Felipe. We are so relieved to hear the confirming news that they are ok but praying fervently for those Elders and Sisters in Conception. We await further news and would love to hear any news on our son, Elder William Simmons.

• Howard Stevens
    Feb. 27, 2010 4:09 p.m.

Just talked to Church Headquarters. Concepcion South Mission finally reported with all missionaries accounted for.

• Bill
    Feb. 27, 2010 3:40 p.m.

My prayers to all who are waiting to hear news from their loved ones.
    My daughter is in Santiago well away from the quake and I now know she is safe. Not knowing is tough and my heart goes out to you who are looking for news.

• megan
    Feb. 27, 2010 3:36 p.m.

My sister is serving in santiago north, our prayers go out to all the families waiting to hear from missionaries in concepcion.

• Bessy Ramirez
    Feb. 27, 2010 3:26 p.m.

My cousin is serving in Concepcion South mission. He's Honduran, we are Honduran and haven't heard from him yet. Please if you have any information please let us know. He's Elder Narvaez. Our thoughts and prayers are with all people in Chile and the ones serving God.

• David Wenger
    Feb. 27, 2010 3:20 p.m.

Our son is in Santiago. We have faith he is okay, but it would really be nice to know for sure. We are hoping for news, but also understand that communications are disrupted down there.

Our son's last area to serve was Pichilemu, and their house was near the beach, so I've worried about the missionaries and all others there. I saw a report early in the day that some houses were swept into the sea in that area, from Pichilemu to Punto de Lobos.

• Anon
    Feb. 27, 2010 3:19 p.m.

plz post information on the wellbeing of the missionaries in the chile concepcion south mission when it comes to hand. thank you xx

• Katie Dixson
    Feb. 27, 2010 3:06 p.m.

My nephew is serving in Talcahuano, in the Concepcion South Mission of Chile. We still have not heard if he is okay. We are praying for all of them and hope to hear something soon. My thoughts and prayers are with all the families who have missionaries in Chile right now.

• Cali Marty
    Feb. 27, 2010 3:06 p.m.

I am 100% sure that the supplies/Donations from the LDS Church are getting ready to arrive in Chile....many prayers go out for countless of people in that area..

• Howard Stevens
    Feb. 27, 2010 2:57 p.m.

My son is a missionary in the Conception South mission and is working in the area of the earthquake. We pray for him and the other missionaries. We just hope for news soon from the Church

• Anonymous
    Feb. 27, 2010 2:56 p.m.

My parents are serving in the Chile Concepcion mission. We heard from the mission doctor and they are doing okay, but a little shooken up. According to what I heard the missionaries are okay.

• Prayers
    Feb. 27, 2010 2:32 p.m.

Sending prayers for the people of Chile and Hawaii...