Utah Jazz: 4 players will benefit from Brewer's departure

• Random
    Feb. 22, 2010 11:29 a.m.

The most telling moment for me in the 4th quarter of last night's game regarding CJ:
    Portland is shooting the 2nd freethrow. They shoot and miss the freethrow, Boozer makes a hard box-out on Camby (who was climbing his back all night), Millsap or Fes boxes Aldridge on the other side, and Brandon Roy comes right down the middle for the offensive rebound and puts it up and is fouled. The player who didn't box out and who looked absolutely lost on the replay? CJ.
    The ESPN announcers rightly blamed the Jazz guards and the replay showed who was at fault. Boxing out rebounds on a freethrow is basic, and is taught from grade school on. It is moments like that where I miss Ronnie and am so frustrated with CJ. There are plenty of talented althletes who come in the league and are gone 2 years later. Everything he is showing this year makes me believe he will be another.

• Houdini To CL
    Feb. 22, 2010 11:11 a.m.

miles` defense on Roy last night says it all,couple that with 1 for 8 shooting,the guy is worthless,I don`t respond to miles posts,he`s clueless

• Dapper2k
    Feb. 22, 2010 8:30 a.m.

I also broke down the wings on defense but it didn't get posted for some reason.

I'm not going to break it all down again but the jist was this.

1. Mathews
    2. Korver
    3. Miles

And the reasons why, blah blah blah.

Sorry for the missing post.

PS. Did anyone notice in the first half when Portland had a double screen for Mathews for Roy and he ran right through two portland screeners to contest the shot?! I love his hustle.

What a win last night...WOW...Great finish!

• The Jazz
    Feb. 22, 2010 3:35 a.m.

needs efficiency not a chucker (including Kobe and KMart). CJ needs to improve his efficiency especially with Brewer gone. Brewer had a very high percentage shooting because he got inside and could help force Utah's inside game.

CJ needs better shot selection and a better all around game.

The Jazz are weak at wing.

Korver was a starter for PHI. Brewer is a back up for MEM. Korver may eventually be the best of the wings if his defense continues to improve. Mathews will get better with time. He needs experience. CJ has the potential to be a great player but so far he is not making the progress he should.

Someone has to assume part of the Brewer role of going effectively inside. Mathews is the most likely candidate. However, CJ could do more of that.

In the long run the Jazz need to make a move at SG/SF. They will rebalance when AK's contract expires/gets traded.

The Jazz won with Stockton, Malone, and Hornacek. They have to have the outside wing shooting to contend and win. So far they do not have enough consistency at wing to contend.

• CL
    Feb. 21, 2010 10:42 p.m.

As much a I want CJ to succeed and play well, he is back to his old self, inconsistant, playing terrible. It's this kind of play that makes it tough for me to stay positive about CJ. Just when I was hoping he was starting to play a little more consistant.

• CL
    Feb. 21, 2010 8:35 p.m.

Houdini, where are you? I thought for sure you would have a comment after miles comments.

Here's hoping the Jazz come out with energy and toughness and take it to the Blazers.

• CL
    Feb. 21, 2010 8:18 p.m.

Re Dapper2K : CJ's injury is on his shooting hand, he is left handed.
    Mathews is starting because he is playing the best defense of the 3, not because of offensive stats.
    Korver will probably get more time if his knee improves and he can play at least good enough defense to get by and not hurt the team.
    CJ's defense isn't as bad as everyone ragging about him think. His defense is OK, it can be better and is improving some but he wouldn't be playing if his D wasn't up to snuff with Sloan.
    If he wasn't shooting so poorly he would probably be starting and everyone wouldn't be so down on him.

Koby is shooting 32.7% from 3, Fisher's field goal percentage is 38%. Barbosa is shooting 42% & 33%, KMartin 39%&34%, JR Smith(Denver)40%&32.7%.
    If I had time or patients I could go on and show that alot of shooter/scorers don't necessarily shoot a high percentage, they just shoot alot and get hot some of the time.
    CJ's poor shooting/play is(inpart) because of being out of shape.

• If you buy this stuff
    Feb. 21, 2010 8:17 p.m.

I have a bridge in oregon for sale. This was a salary dump pure and simple. Save a buck lose a crown!

• Dapper2k
    Feb. 21, 2010 6:39 p.m.

Ranking the benefitting wings.

1. Korver best shooter, plays team game, passes and rebounds well.
    2. Tie between Miles and Mathews. With Mathews actually having better stats and showing to be a better shotter by percentage.
    PPG CJ 8.5
    PPG Math 8.1
    FG% CJ 41%
    FG% Mat 47%
    FT CJ 73%
    FT Mat 78%
    3ptfg CJ 32%
    3ptfg Mat 35%

And to answer Miles above the reason CJ doesn't get slack for the injury is because it's on his non-shooting hand but more importantly his career fg is 44% and 4pt 34%. Not great for someone whose only calling card is being a shooter. And in the playoffs it drops through the floor to 32% fg and 25% 3pt.

• CL
    Feb. 21, 2010 4:03 p.m.

Re Chuck: I'm not so sure CJ played a great game against GS, but at least he played OK, acceptable, I think he can play alot better. I'm not even close to being pleased with how CJ has played or is playing. I see alot more in him than he has produced this year and that is part of the frustration with him. I want to keep hoping he will step up and start to produce like I think he can but his inconsistancy in maddening. Let's hope he can step up tonight and play at least like he did against GS. In order for him to play like I think he can he needs to get in better shape and be able to play hard, tenacious and aggressive all the time he is on the floor. If he could do that his athletism and skills/ talent would allow him to play better than most.

• Miles
    Feb. 21, 2010 3:53 p.m.

I am the real Miles. CL doesn't love CJ as much as I do as a player. On the other hand, all the negative and crazy comments about CJ are from one person HOUDINI.

CJ had a major injury that sidelined him for 2 months. He should be fat and out of shape. Each week he is getting better. You all stood behind Korver last year when he couldn't shoot due to a wrist injury but you ridicule CJ for ligament damage in his shooting hand. Why is it OK for Korver to shoot bad but not CJ whose injury was a lot worse than Korvers????

• Chuck Nunn
    Feb. 21, 2010 3:33 p.m.

CJ played a great game against Golden State, and it really helped. I think what most of us are looking for is for him to put together a string of great games like that. So far, given the investment in both salary and minutes on the floor, it hasn't happened. But he'll definitely keep getting minutes, especially now that Brewer is gone, so he'll have the opportunity to try and show that he can consistently get it done. Hopefully that happens tonight, because Portland will put up more of a fight than the Warriors did. Count on it.

Peace out from the Jazz Oracle!

• Eat right
    Feb. 21, 2010 3:29 p.m.

CJ just needs to lay off the fast food!

• CL
    Feb. 21, 2010 3:29 p.m.

Who are you RE:CL?
    Young men mature at different rates, both physically and mental & Emotional maturity. CJ is still 22 yrs old and although you would like to see him mature faster, sooner or whatever I still think he hasn't reached that level yet.
    Again, maybe I'm hoping and maybe that hope will be futile but I will keep hoping for a little while yet (a yr or 2 more). Earlier in the year i was talking about jumping off of the CJ bandwagon but I see things that make me say, well maybe he can still make it happen.
    I feel the same about Fes, although I didn't have that hope for him until this year. I see good things in his game, things that make me think he could be pretty good, not just a sub or role player but a starter and someone who could make a difference.
    Both CJ and Fes have the potential to be better than average and if they improve and reach their potential the Jazz will be pretty tough to beat

• RE : CL
    Feb. 21, 2010 3:12 p.m.

About how much time (years) do you think he needs to develope? He`s into his 5th year and he looks flabby compared to Matthews,Brewer or Korver

• JazzMan
    Feb. 21, 2010 2:33 p.m.

Brewer was a very humble and totally professional dude. But, honestly I'm glad to see him gone. His shooting flat out killed the Jazz. It's never good when opponents give you a wide open shot and you still cannot hit your jump shot. With that in mind opponents would seal up the paint especially the Lakers. Now with him gone the paint opens up more for Boozer, Millsap, Andrei, and Deron to work it because teams will have to defend are perimeter more because Korver, Miles, and Matthews are much better shooters. So, this could be a very good thing!

• The jazz fan!!!!!!
    Feb. 21, 2010 2:22 p.m.

CU is a tremendous shooter! In order for him to fulfill the starting role he needs to work harder on the defensive end. I am probly his biggest fan! Mathews is an exceptional player who enjoys working hard EVERY game! Korver great shooter... Enough said! To sum it up mathews and korver at SG and AK and CJ at SF!!!

• CL
    Feb. 21, 2010 2:19 p.m.

If CJ plays up to his potential it will make the Jazz better. The jazz need someone who can create for himself and his teammates and CJ can do that somewhat and has the potential to do it well.
    The fact he is shooting so poorly this year is frustrating. It causes me concern and makes me wonder if he has the potential I see in him. But I see that potential surface often enough to keep me hoping.
    I agree that potential and productivity are not the same. That is why I believe Mathews deserves to start and get the minutes he is getting. Korver plays smart and so depending on the situation he needs to be on the floor, BUT if defense is needed it probably won't be Korver.
    CJ can play tough Defense if he tries, he is long, fast, athletic and when he wants to he is a good passer. All this being said, CJ needs to step it up and prove himself. Getting playing time is what I hope will help him improve and start playing up to his potential.
    Fes is another similar topic but hasn't shown quite as much yet.

• CL
    Feb. 21, 2010 1:58 p.m.

I'm not miles, I have criticized miles many times this year for his ridiculous statements, like CJ is an all star, or the best player on the team, or if CJ plays more the Jazz will win the west. Ridiculous statements, BUT talking about potential and talent is another thing.
    It is easy to criticizes CJ because he has been so inconsistent and looks out of shape and lazy sometimes(to often).
    Mathew deserves to start, he has played the best of the 3 wings, his offense has been OK, his Defense is tough & tenacious, and he hustles all the time. That is why he is starting and why he often finishes games but that doesn't mean he is the best player, with the most talent.
    Korver is a good shooter, him and Okur probably the best shooters on the team. The reason he hasn't been getting more time is because of his defense. His knee has been part of the problem but his lack of athletism makes him a liability on defense.
    I'm rooting for CJ because he has the most potential and raw talent and if he plays up to his potential (continue)

• Deal with it.
    Feb. 21, 2010 1:16 p.m.

Like it or not CJ is here and we need him to perform. He looked good Friday and I wish him all the best, because we need him to play well. Perhaps this will boost his confidence and he can pick it up on the defensive end. I just hope the Jazz can pick up a decent big man to fill Ronnie's spot.

• Gambling Man
    Feb. 21, 2010 11:31 a.m.

If I were a gambling man I would put my money on Korver. He will rise to the occasion. He has the most talent of the 3 wings in question. Even tho his athletic ability leaves a bit to be desired, he makes up for it in smarts. His basketball IQ will beat out Matthews and Miles. He could be the best shooter on the Jazz team if he were given that role. Instead his first mission is to stuff the ball inside and hope that he gets it back a few times. Korver is an unselfish team player that looks for the best guy to take the shot. He spreads the floor like no other Jazz player. Even on is shooting off nights he has to be guarded. He knows the game! He is the guy to get the most minutes. Do we still need Matthews and Miles? Sure!!! But Korver is the veteran and knows his stuff!

• T-BONE
    Feb. 21, 2010 10:35 a.m.

Dump cj!

• akk
    Feb. 21, 2010 10:01 a.m.

Miles doesn't have it upstairs to be good. First of all he is overweight... how does that happen? He had a hand injury this should not effected that. He does not do anything extra. All he is concerned about is scoring.I like everyone else hopes he figures it out but........

• RE CL
    Feb. 21, 2010 9:47 a.m.

I think you are Miles using another name,of the 3 SG`s, CJ brings the least to the table,he shoots more yes but has the worst percentage,his rebounds,assists,steals are less,his defense is the worst,even worst than Korver`s who is slower but smarter.After 5 years he doesn`t get it and I wonder about your fascination with him

• blauch
    Feb. 21, 2010 9:19 a.m.

"On on of the other sites Todd said CJ has the talent and potential to be as good or better than KMartin and I agree"
    Todd is not an expert of anything - He just some guy who always says Fire Sloan.

For Every Minute CJ is on the floor he takes more shots than anyone (Even Williams). THAT IS NOT A GOOD THING

AK- 8.5 shots- 51.3%- 4.4 Free throws- 30.0 Min
    Miles- 8.2 shots- 41.1%- 0.9 Free throws- 19.6 Min
    Matthews-6.2 shots- 46.8%- 2.1 Free throws- 21.4 Min
    Korver-3.9 shots- 52.7% - .6 Free throws- 12.5 Min

See I would like to see the players shooting the best percentage shoot the most shots. I would like to see the players who can get to the line the most take the most shots. I would like to see the best player get the most minutes

When one looks at the stats - AK Matthews and Korvers minutes should go up and Miles Minutes need to go down.

• rvalens2
    Feb. 21, 2010 2:10 a.m.

I agree CJ looked great in the game against Golden State.

What has always bothered me is Miles' inconsistency. CJ supporters are always talking about how talented he is. Talent is wonderful ... but it's performance in games that counts.

Miles has had a few good games scattered against a bunch where he just seems to disappear. He's been in the league more than 5 years and is only now starting to understand what he needs to do.

Unfortunately, if Miles doesn't hit his shots it affects everything else he does on the court. You can literally see him hang his and head after a missed shot; especially if it's his first of the game.

Compare that with Matthews who comes in as an undrafted rookie and earns a roster spot on the Jazz. Something that's highly improbable and doesn't happen very often.

For now, I prefer to see Matthews start the game. He plays like a veteran, takes charges, passes the ball, plays in your face defense, takes the ball to the hoop and has a decent outside shot.

Who is the better athlete? Miles. Who performs consistently. Matthews.

• CL
    Feb. 20, 2010 11:07 p.m.

Many who post on these sites want to rag on CJ but I hope he gets enough playing time to get his confidence and show everyone what kind of talent he really has.
    On one of the other sites Todd said CJ has the talent and potential to be as good or better than KMartin and I agree. Whether or not he will develop and improve to that level is yet to be seen, but potential wise he could be better.
    One thing I think could help CJ improve and become more consistent is if he would get in better shape, he looks winded and gased alot and doesn't look like he has the energy to keep hustling.
    That is one of the strengths of Mathews, he is tough and always hustling, which helps him be productive.
    It will be interesting to see over the next week or 2, how each of the 3 wings, CJ,Mathews&Korver play and if any of them step up and show they want the majority of the minutes or if it will continue as it has been and the one who is playing the best will be the one getting the minutes.