Utah Legislature: Utah to get gun holiday on MLK day?

• It's the mercury and lead
    Feb. 22, 2010 4:34 p.m.

There are some seriously twisted viewa on here and I'm thinking it's the mecury and lead in the water causing it. Just like the mold spores and the Salem witch trials.

Feb. 22, 2010 1:34 p.m.

I'm moving to UTAH... John Moses Browning is my hero.The greatest gun maker who ever lived. King never did one thing to improve my life or give me any reason to celebrate his existance.I personnelly carry brownings model 1911 daily to protect myself and family from MLK extremeists.....

Feb. 21, 2010 6:37 a.m.

I am not a fan of Martin Luther King, but this has to be a really stupid idea. We have too many holidays, even when combined they loose their signifigance.

Maybe the voters should vote this guy out of office for masquerading as a serious politician. Oh, that is right there is no such thing as a serious politican, just self ego seekers.

• So go ahead....
    Feb. 20, 2010 12:03 p.m.

Celebate Brown's birthday all you want. Put a bumper sticker on your Hummer for all I care.

So when did conservatives start thinking the government was the answer to thier party decisions?

Talk about big government.

For once live your own rules, then get back to the rest of us about how we should be cutting down government.

• John Pack Lambert
    Feb. 19, 2010 8:47 p.m.

To Bishop Kinlaw,
    It apprears that this ludicrous idea has been abandoned, and we only wish that someone had told Madsen it was a stupid idea and not to bring it up.

• John Pack Lambert
    Feb. 19, 2010 8:23 p.m.

Utah may be the last state to celebrate MLK day, but the community college in my county has yet to celebrate it, and the first time I ever got it off was as a freshman at BYU, we never got it off at my public school in Michigan.

Feb. 19, 2010 8:18 p.m.

This shows real intelligence...Celebrate a GUN and its maker as a state holiday....What would Plato or Socrates would have thought of this debacle.No brains politics. What about a holiday for the Peacemaker and Peace

• Myohmy
    Feb. 19, 2010 11:34 a.m.

Is this Madsen guy serious? He seems to have too much time on his hands and has nothing better to do. How did he get elected in the first place? I think there needs to be a law to have mandatory tests and evaluation of the mental fitness of both the voters and the candidate, especially the latter.

While we're at it, why don't we have state holidays for all "famous" Utahns? ...maybe Ken Jennings too will have one.

• Any guesses....
    Feb. 19, 2010 9:38 a.m.

Why people in the world take a dim view of Utah and it's Church? Here's one example.

Feb. 19, 2010 8:51 a.m.

How would everyone feel if the Browning holiday were to be shared with Christmas?

Now do you understand why sharing it with another holiday DOES make a difference?

• dream
    Feb. 19, 2010 6:51 a.m.

I have a dream, that someday all God's children in Utah will realize that black, white, and brown people can live together in harmony and peace.

I have a dream, that someday all God's children in Utah will never have to go to war again, laying down their guns and joining hands with the world to sing Cumbyeyah on the football field at Lehi High.

Mixing Browning with King has made us the butt of many jokes to come. Good grief.

• to Davis
    Feb. 19, 2010 6:36 a.m.

Absolutely true. Apparently, it is close to the surface too.

• Gray Champion
    Feb. 18, 2010 9:59 p.m.

Well, Presidents Washington and Lincoln now share a holiday. I think Browning deserves the honor. And its not as if King is NOT being remembered. This is his birthday - not the day of his death. THe NAACP reactio is overblown. He has a street in his name in SLC and every other major city eventhough he is not the hero of the people exiled here in 1847. The NAACP can choose to be offended -- or not.

• Religious holidays?
    Feb. 18, 2010 7:33 p.m.

Anonymous must be jesting about creating a holiday for a religious leader (of the Mormon persuasion) who led his followers through great sacrifices searching for freedom from persecution, and economic prosperity.

I can just imagine the howls from the defenders of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King were it proposed the Brigham Young or Joseph Smith holidays be created on any day of the year.

Maybe not all men (or religions) are as politically correct as others, and while we are obligated to honor one, we must abjure others.

• Betseylee
    Feb. 18, 2010 6:28 p.m.

John M. Browning was born on the 23 Jan 1855. The holiday should be on that day to honor his birth.

Feb. 18, 2010 5:53 p.m.

if Martin Luther King was shot with a Browning, Utah is simply rubbing salt into the wound.

why would anyone give a gunmaker his own holiday? is Utah so deperate? why not make one of your prophet's birthday's a holiday?

just out of curiosity - the guy that wrote the BOM - Joseph Smith - is his birthday a state holiday? wouldn't that be more in line with your religious and political standings?

• Bethany
    Feb. 18, 2010 5:32 p.m.

B Parker: I realize you were being sarcastic, but I really got a good laugh from your suggested name for the holiday!!

Bishop Kinlaw: what exactly does your being a former LDS bishop have to do with this subject? I can see how your being a "man of color" could be considered relevant to some. To that point can I include in my opinion that I am a woman of not-color (or a woman of white)? Does that make my opinion any more or less important then yours on this subject?

If people are going to argue that Martin Luther King Jr is not only a hero for people of a specific race then comments like yours are not very helpful.

Honestly I would consider this entire proposed law a good reason for a Palm-Face maneuver. The thought is there (to honor a local Utah man with natinoal and international acclaim) but I would have to agree that the timing is a bit . . off. With such big issues at stake this year is this really the time to deal with something like this??

• Jon
    Feb. 18, 2010 5:13 p.m.

The NRA is going to love this. Why can't the legislature police itself for totally stupid ideas?

• Lewis
    Feb. 18, 2010 4:28 p.m.

Word on the Hill is that MLK Day is off the table. Apparently, MLK Day was only one possible day considered for a Browning Day and nobody had settled on the third Monday in January. Maybe it was discussed because Browning's birthday is right around then?

Both Browning and King's legacy are astounding. People don't know quite as much about Browning, but the guy was truly remarkable. Both King and Browning made amazing contributions to the advancement of freedom. Hopefully, both will find a suitable day to be recognized.

• Sick sick sick
    Feb. 18, 2010 2:34 p.m.

What a twisted idea. What's wrong with those clowns up there on Capitol Hill??

• all is lost
    Feb. 18, 2010 2:32 p.m.

Utah should have a mental health day and all Legislators should get their heads candled. And then everyone who voted for them should get their heads candled.

• awsomeron
    Feb. 18, 2010 1:48 p.m.

This kind of reminds me of the Easter Bunny and Jesus.

One is to take your mind off the other.

Anyhow Federal Trumps State.

If this is passed it will be a Trivia Question in 5 years.

The Browning was used to Kill, Native Americans and Blacks so it might also be considered Raciest.

Thank you Mr. Browning. Because of further development of your Weapon, I was able to Guard America against Communist with my M14 and later my M16. I assure you I felt much safer being able to kill more people faster, and better and at longer range. My Children also thank you.

• JKimball
    Feb. 18, 2010 1:46 p.m.

Browning is awesome, but we don't need a holiday named after him. This really comes across as politicians using him to curry favor with gun enthusiasts. The idea of sharing the holiday with MLK day is obviously offensive to many and unfairly drags Browning into an argument he has no part of.

If you want to honor him put one of his guns on display in the capitol building or something. Or name one of his firearms the "State Gun."

• Why MLK Day?
    Feb. 18, 2010 1:02 p.m.

I understand that there is a reason to honor the breakthrough in civil rights but I do not believe that we should have a day honoring one man, not ANY ONE MAN. If this is the case, where is the day for Lincoln, Washington, Franklin, and many other individuals. We have a "Presidents" day, but again, no one individual. That is the problem.

• Me, Myself and I
    Feb. 18, 2010 12:57 p.m.

In my personal opinion I think this is being blown way out of proportion by both sides. 1. The Senator isn't saying he won't budge or change the date. 2. Although it would be a major oversite whose to say the preposed date wasn't set fourth before the Senator realized it was the same as MLK Day. I don't think it was done to offend anyone, yet not doing one's homework often leads to having to do a lot of extra busy work to remedy situations which could have and should have been avoided.

• R. E. Lawry
    Feb. 18, 2010 12:54 p.m.

I am not a student of MLK., but I find it hard to believe that he would be against the achievements of Browning. Browning's work was used in many hunting weapons that put meat on the table.

• Bishop Kinlaw
    Feb. 18, 2010 12:40 p.m.

As a former LDS Bishop and a man of color I can't believe Utah is talking about having this man share the same holiday as Dr.King. Wow am speechless...

• History for the uninformed
    Feb. 18, 2010 12:31 p.m.

John M. Browning was the most successful firearm inventor of all time. Very few of his inventions were actually sold by the "Browning" name. Most were sold under the names of Colt, Winchester, FN (in Belgium) and also Remington and Savage.

His inventions include most of the most famous sporting firearms in addition to his well known military arms. Many of his civilian designs are still in production.

Most Utah families have owned and used one or more of Browning's designs to put food on the table, or for self defense.

Browning's hand made prototypes are on display in Ogden's Union Station Museum of the following:

Browning single shot rifle
    Winchester Model 1894 ".30-30" and the similar Model 1892 and 1886 lever action rifles.
    Winchester Model 1897 pump shotgun.
    (Nearly all of those are still being made after more than 100 years!)

Remington Model 11 or 1100 semi auto shotgun
    Browning superposed (over-under) shotgun.

Colt Model 1911 .45 semi-auto pistol- the most imitated pistol in the world.
    Colt .25 and .32 and .38 semi-auto pistols
    Browning High Power pistol

Not to mention his many machine guns for the military.

• Rep Madsen is out of touch!
    Feb. 18, 2010 12:28 p.m.

This demonstrates to me what is wrong with our elected officials. With all the challenges we face as a state why are we spending time, energy, and money on a holiday, much less a holiday of this nature. If the elected officials have so much time and energy to focus on drafting up these bills then maybe they should have a furlough and/or a pay cut. Are they really earning their paycheck? How many Utah's would have come up with this as an important matter of state business. Please let's focus on the things that will benefit the people of Utah. Lets use our energy and focus on overcoming the challenges. This is in my opinion a pure waste of time. Rep Madsen you have lost my vote and I will do whatever I can to see that Rep Madsen does not get re-elected. How about Rep Madsen do something that will benefit your constituents? How about Rep Madsen do something that that represents your constituents? Rep Madsen I think you need to do some studying on what your elected job is and what it should not be.

• Pro Gun people
    Feb. 18, 2010 11:49 a.m.

I love the pro-gun people on these comments. You're entertaining to say the least!

It's NOT about the guns! It's about the man! If, and I do mean IF he deserves a Holiday, lets celebrate him and his life, not his 'product'.

By having this holiday, your constitutional right to bear arms will not be strengthened! Nice try.

• Worthy?
    Feb. 18, 2010 11:47 a.m.

Is Browning really worthy of a holiday? I know he was successful in business. But what else? I'd bet there are more important business men in our State's history. The late Larry Miller for one, the Huntsmans, etc... Why would we honor Browning above them? If someone out there knows of a greater contribution than Browning business endeavors, please let me know! Unless there is more to this than what it appears we'd simply be honoring him for his business (guns).... would we not?

Why not have a "Farnsworth" day? I watch more T.V. than I shoot guns! And I do own both!!

• Bulletthought
    Feb. 18, 2010 11:34 a.m.

Just because one legislator has proposed a bill doesn't mean that it will pass - so let's not condemn the whole group - at least not yet. John M. Browning was a great Utahn and should be honor for his contributions to our country but not on the Martin Luther King holiday and I am a supporter of the 2nd amendment. Another day must be used to honor Mr. Browning. There is another great American born on January 17, 1706, who I always believed should be honored for his contributions to our nation. In fact, one can make the argument that without him there would be no United States of America. His influence to gain the assistance of the French in our efforts against the English helped us gain our independance. If another great American is to be celebrated on the same day as Martin Luther King, Jr., then it would be Benjamin Franklin - one of our founding fathers and also a great inventor.

• Then who, if ever?
    Feb. 18, 2010 11:27 a.m.

First of all why does the State of Utah (legislators) think another state holiday is necessary? If Madsen or others really want to appease themselves and the populace then have a holiday on the Friday before the MLK holiday. That way some of us could have a four-day weekend. Of course that will never happen. The best options are: 1) Have a day of recognition for Browning, such as his birthday or, 2) do nothing at all about him. If anyone wants to honor John Browning let them go buy one of his guns.

As far as honoring anyone else on the same day as the current MLK holiday, what criteria should be used to determine who such a person could be? No matter who would be selected there will surely be some of us that will have a hissy fit about it.

Some of you appear a bit self-righteous in your comments; you don't know who you are but the rest of us do, and believe me, your idols are going to be voted out of Congress in the coming elections.

• B Parker
    Feb. 18, 2010 11:13 a.m.

Are they going to change the name to "Bibles and Bullets Day"?

• state holiday
    Feb. 18, 2010 11:02 a.m.

For a minute, let's first dissect the proposed state holiday from MLK Day. He is actually proposing a state holiday, meaning that state employees would get a vacation day? What kind of fiscal management is that. Now add MLK Day back into the equation and it's insane. For those saying that MLK only support blacks, I will say that you are not true Americans. A true American believe in "equality and justice for all" and not a segregated America. MLK helped ALL Americans. It's truly scary how myopic and narrow minded some of these posters are.

• Impeachment!!
    Feb. 18, 2010 11:01 a.m.

We NEED to start impeachment proceeding on any elected official that would support putting the
    legacies of these two men on the SAME DAY!!

Martin Luther King Jr's legacy is Peace.

Guns bring Destruction!! They ARE weapons of

The gun is/was one of mankind's worse inventions.

With bow and arrow, and other means before guns were
    invented, people (humans) were able to feed themselves.

Guns in the hands of Bad People have Killed Abraham
    Lincoln, JFK, Joseph Smith, and Countless others
    over the years since their invention.

To celebrate a Gun Maker and a Nobel PEACE PRIZE
    winner, known for preaching non-Violence, on the same day is TOTALLY In-sensitive and

PS: I did get the Markmanship merit badge in the Boy
    Scouts program when I was a kid. Most of my ancestry
    is from the British Isles and I am "white" on the ethnicity chart.

Elected officials SHOULD KNOW BETTER!!!

• Remember
    Feb. 18, 2010 10:54 a.m.

We already have special days to recognize gun inventors. They're called funerals.

• Dan
    Feb. 18, 2010 10:52 a.m.

Why we in Utah celebrate MLK day is beyond understanding. We should celebrate what's important to us and people who have made a major impact in our lives. Browning is a man to be honored for all his accomplishments. MLK, history will show him for who he was and will not always be kind to him or his decendents.

Feb. 18, 2010 10:36 a.m.

Sen. Majority leader Scott Jenkins thinks it appropriate as well. He says, "Guns keep peace." Does he realize how Dr. King died? Guns keep peace? Hmmm, I thought people did.

• Duh
    Feb. 18, 2010 10:34 a.m.

The only bad thing about living in Utah is putting up with all the whiners that move here.

• Look up
    Feb. 18, 2010 10:24 a.m.

Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports.

Feb. 18, 2010 10:23 a.m.

"Never seen a gun cause liver failure"
    So no one has ever been shot in the liver?

• Peggy
    Feb. 18, 2010 10:16 a.m.

NO WAY!! Guns are not a cause to celebrate. And Martin Luther King was a truly great man. While Browning may have done something worthwhile he was, in the end, just a businessman who put together a product and a company that has stuck around. He is NOT on a par with Martin Luther King and he is NOT someone who should be given a holiday of his own. Utah politicians really are in a world of their own and more often than not really are nut-cases.

• SamK
    Feb. 18, 2010 10:16 a.m.

I am once again ashamed to have ever considered myself a Utah Republican.

There is nothing wrong with honoring Mr. Browning, but if you believe that is the real reason for this bill, then I have some beachfront property I would like to sell you.

• Paul
    Feb. 18, 2010 10:04 a.m.

The only reason for going through with the merged holiday is that it would tick off Jeanetta Williams to no end. That, in itself, makes it a worthy endeavor.

• bluto
    Feb. 18, 2010 9:47 a.m.

John Moses Browning should be honored with a State Holiday. But NOT, on MLK day. People this ignorant should not be making laws.

I'm all for MLK day, Civil Rights History etc.

However, I also believe Washington and Lincoln should not share the same day as a National Holiday.
    We as a Nation should also have a National Founding Fathers Month, just like Black History Month.

Kids are not being taught abut the founding of this Nation, anymore. A School in La. removed as it's name, George Washington, and re-named it. Streets are nemaed in SLC for people who never stepped foot in this stae, which is fine. But where are the streets named for it's founder, Brigham Young in SLC. Zero, Zip, Nada.

I'm all for exclusively honoring Dr. King and the Civil Rights movement as is. But, other notable leaders should also be honored, on other days.

Saving money? The State is closed on Fridays anyway, therefore there are many other weeks one could choose.

There is a little thing called tact, which this lawmaker apparently does not have.

• Disugusted
    Feb. 18, 2010 9:44 a.m.

Cody Judy, Ted Bundy, Susan Powell's husband, Latrell Sprewell, Donte Stallworth, Plaxico Buress, Sadam Hussein, Barry Bonds and John Edwards all want a day too.

• Selective Outrage
    Feb. 18, 2010 9:43 a.m.

The selective outrage by the NAACP perplexes me. Where was the outrage when the legislature decided leaders of the stature of Washington and Lincoln had to share a day, while King got a holiday on his own? If it's okay for Washington and Lincoln to share a holiday, why shouldn't King share one as well? What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

• Facts are inconvenient truth
    Feb. 18, 2010 9:42 a.m.

John M. Browning was born on January 23, 1855 according to his tombstone (although some sources claim January 21st). The fact that this is nearly the same date as Dr. Martin Luther King's birthday is an matter of history, not some devious plot to dishonor Dr. King.

Racists can refuse to acknowledge those facts and demand "separate but equal" holidays.

Where was the liberal outrage over combining the separate holidays honoring Abraham Lincoln and George Washington into a single day. (Which was done mainly to avoid adding another paid federal holiday when they wanted to add a day to honor Dr. King!)

On a similar note, November 11th, "Armistice Day" became "Veterans' Day" to honor vets of all wars, not just World War I.

John M. Browning was a great American, and one of Utah's greatest citizens and is deserving of recognition.

Honor King and Browning on the same day, because their birth dates nearly coincide.

Feb. 18, 2010 9:29 a.m.

This proposal is one of the worst ideas to come from a bad idea Legislature. Why poke people in the eye? You have one party control, the lust for guns here is unfettered, and you are seen as totally crazy by the rest of the country. Isn't that enough?

• Heidi Phillips
    Feb. 18, 2010 9:29 a.m.

That's cool that Browning was from Utah. I was not aware of that.

The Holiday would never pass. The NAACP and Liberals would see to that. They would focus on the fact that King was killed by a guy with a gun.

Although, guns have saved countless lives and liberated many nations. Maybe we could have a holiday for Eli Whitney as well.

Feb. 18, 2010 9:25 a.m.

I see no problem. Guns DO keep peace. Dr. King may have been murdered by a man using a gun, but there are also many citizens whose lives have been saved using guns. And besides that, in that murder it's not like Mr. Browning pulled the trigger - so I would like to know how the many talking heads focused on exclusively in this article can get away with accusing him of being the exact opposite of a peaceful man?

• Dave
    Feb. 18, 2010 9:19 a.m.

Betcha if John Browning was black Jeanetta Williams would be singing a different song!

• Big Red
    Feb. 18, 2010 9:03 a.m.

I really admire John Browning. A holiday would be great. Probably picked the wrong day though, going with MLK day. Need to think about things a little more next time.

• Martine
    Feb. 18, 2010 8:58 a.m.

John Browning provided much skilled employment for many of my Belgian relatives, so he's a good guy in my book.

While I question the concept of celebrating Browning on MLK's day, could someone tell me what's been gained by moving the start of the legislative session back a week? The legislature used to have elaborate ceremonies honoring King during their opening session, now MLK holiday is nothing but a day off for govt employees and a few other lucky souls.

• Need a shrink
    Feb. 18, 2010 8:54 a.m.

There seem to be several legislators who need to have their names continuously before the public: Buttars, Dayton, Whimmer, Madsen. They have a need to be recognized, even they often come across as fools. Why?

• Dixie Dan
    Feb. 18, 2010 8:53 a.m.

Why not celebrate along with Lincoln's birthday?

• Matt M
    Feb. 18, 2010 8:51 a.m.

This is a GREAT idea. Both great men who made significant contributions to society. If you are going to honor some, you have to honor others. Blacks should be proud to honor a man who made so many contributions to the shooting sports and military and personal safety. One of the freedoms most denied black people was the right of self defense and liberty to own a gun. To say John Browning shouldn't be honored is both racist and exclusionary.

Let's hear it for MLKJMB day!

• String Cheese
    Feb. 18, 2010 8:46 a.m.

Guns don't keep the peace. People trained in law enforcement do. Guns would not have helped MLK on that April 4th. For those who think Browning was key in WW2: Browning didn't defeat Nazism any more than anyone else who made armaments in WW2 did. I'll leave the WW2 honors to the Veterans, thank you very much.

• Guns vs Alcohol
    Feb. 18, 2010 8:44 a.m.

Here's your sign!!!!!

I am absolutely dumbfounded by the lack of correct knowledge, racism, etc... but mostly just plain old common sense. I am so disgusted with all the UNJUST minority help which deters the need for them to help themselves.

If guns are so bad - lets compare the gun deaths to alcohol deaths. We as a country - not a pathetic state like most of you claim - would then have to immediately stop the sale or availability to alcohol. Does alcohol kill or humans who chose alcohol kill? Never seen a gun cause liver failure...... and the comments could go on and on but they don't!!! Because Jesse and AL might just want a glass of wine and it might just make them unpopular with all their minority followers. How many of you naysayers would have to shut up because you use alcohol or drugs.

Facts are MLK was incredible and deserves his holiday - not because he is black or opposed violence but because of everything he accomplished for all of us. Mr. Browning seems to have also merited a holiday but not on the same day. Move the day and get to better subjects.

• hahaha
    Feb. 18, 2010 8:41 a.m.

hahah you all make me laugh... this is so important to our every day quality of life... Hahahahahhahahha. I feel sorry for everyone that gets so offended about a day... what the hahahahhahah.. Chalk up another laugh for the stupid legislature that continues to make most issues they touch laugable.... to bad the ones I voted for didn't get in and no I don't vote straight rep or dem... hahahah still laughing... By the way Who cares what name it has as long as we get a day off. OK flame me.. Cause I'll still be laughing.. hahahahh

• WOW
    Feb. 18, 2010 8:34 a.m.

I think today should be called "Ashamed to be from Utah Day"

• Ned
    Feb. 18, 2010 8:33 a.m.

RE: Davis

I don't agree that this is thinly disguised Utah racism, but I do think this is another example of blatant stupidity and ignorance raising its ugly head. I don't think the objective of this proposed legislation is racist, but that is certainly how it will be perceived.

Personally, I'm sick of the rampant ineptitude that has permeated our state legislature. I'm not voting for any incumbents in the next election.

• Re: Oh, I disagree
    Feb. 18, 2010 8:25 a.m.

"I am of the opinion that the Wehrmacht's MG42 was a superior weapon to the Browning Automatic Rifle."

Apples and oranges. The BAR was an automatic rifle designed for one-man operation, while the MG42 was a crew-served machine gun.

The MG42 would be more comparable to the Browning M2 heavy machine gun, a weapon so reliable and effective that it is still in use with the US armed forces nearly 100 years after its introduction.

John Browning's inventions -- the 1911 pistol, the BAR, and the M1919 and M2 machine guns helped the US destroy Nazism, imperialism, and communism, three of the greatest threats to freedom the world has ever seen.

Browning deserves a holiday for that, IMHO.

Feb. 18, 2010 8:17 a.m.

Are you kidding me? I am all for guns and I am a gun owner - What are they doing up there on the Hill? We need to focus on important issues and how to take care of the people/education/balance the budget of this State-Get Real! and focus on critical issues!

• Jenm
    Feb. 18, 2010 8:14 a.m.

This is too funny. Wow where the priorities. As long as there's a holiday to celebrate guns..wow this is just a shame. So stupid.

• Q
    Feb. 18, 2010 8:10 a.m.

They just keep making it harder and harder to defend the people and the state of Utah...

I am now officially embarrassed to tell people that I live here...

• Lagomorph
    Feb. 18, 2010 8:09 a.m.

MLK Day | 6:55 a.m. Feb. 18, 2010
    "For example in Mississippi they added a celebration of Robert E. Lee (Confederate General) to MLK Day."

I didn't think the savage irony of linking a firearms maker to a committed pacifist and gun victim could be topped, but apparently the fine folks of Mississippi have done it. Hurrah for Mississippi, the state that saves Utah from being on the bottom of every ranking for stupidity and general social dysfunction.

• re Evets
    Feb. 18, 2010 7:27 a.m.

Are you serious?

It's not about worship, it's about honoring a man who worked hard to make our country better.

Browning was a key to our history, but he was out to make a buck, which he did! If we as a State are going to honor him, that's great, lets do it on a State Holiday like the 24th of July! Lets see how those Liberal Mormons like it!

• horrified
    Feb. 18, 2010 7:15 a.m.

I have watched the Utah Legislature devolve for 40 years, but this is the most frightening session I can ever recall. Blatant racism, insensitivity, arrogance above science, absolutely horrifying.

• Pete
    Feb. 18, 2010 7:13 a.m.

Lasergirl, etal - Guns do not kill people. A gun did not kill Dr. King. People using guns kill people. Trying to connect Browning to MLK's death is like trying to blame the engineers as GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc., for every automobile death. We all have agency and sometimes when that agency is exercised, innocent people suffer. Just as locks keep honest people honest, an armed society is a polite society.

• Embarrassed
    Feb. 18, 2010 7:06 a.m.

The only time I am embarrassed to say I am from Utah is when the legislature is in session. This is a prime example of why.

• DanP
    Feb. 18, 2010 6:58 a.m.

I love the idea of celebrating the birthdate of John Browning on that Monday. Gun control had its roots in racism, as shown in history Dr. King should be proud to celebrate a day with another champion of freedom!

• MLK Day
    Feb. 18, 2010 6:55 a.m.

MLK Day is piggy backed in several states with additional honors. However, I believe it is a stupid attempt to get more support for the holiday itself. For example in Mississippi they added a celebration of Robert E. Lee (Confederate General) to MLK Day. Many Americans fail to realize the importance of Martin Luther King Jr. because they believe it to be based on the Civil Rights movement for African Americans, in truth MLK worked to advance the rights of all Americans. He helped in LBJ's "war on poverty". When killed MLK was in Memphis helping garbage workers (regardless of race) with improving their working conditions and pay. When we try to piggy back this holiday we ARE making MLK's contributions less than what they were. In Utah the civil rights era was probobly much less than in the south and east. We have a very, very small minority populations. But for American as a whole it was and is a big part of our history. We in Utah should not make it "cheap" because it suits our purposes. Utah is a part of the United States of America. All US history should be relevant and honored.

• Davis
    Feb. 18, 2010 6:51 a.m.

Thinly disguised Utah racism once again raises its ugly head.

• gun owner
    Feb. 18, 2010 3:59 a.m.

I am an avid gun owner and proud that Browning firearms are based in Utah. But come 'on, this proposal is ridiculous. Mixing MLK day with a proposed celebration of Mr. Browning should be considered material for the Jay Leno show!!!

• Frank
    Feb. 18, 2010 12:54 a.m.

Is this really an insult to MLK? REALLY? Would Dr. King be against the celebration of American Freedoms on a day that is set aside to commemorate his fight for liberty? Racial equality was one area where Dr King was successful thankfully, but it wasn't the only issue he stood for. He was far from the opportunist politicians that invoke his name to no end.

Are you aware of the racist roots of gun control measures? To celebrate firearm freedom is to celebrate freedom. What better way to celebrate the good name of a major champion of human rights by celebrating human rights? It was never about Dr. King as a personality. It was about what he stood for.

The big lie that robs African Americans of their American heritage is that the fight for racial equality was part of the plan all along. They aren't aware that part of the reason the revolution was fought was that the King of England was utilizing the slave trade. Early drafts of the Constitution even attempted to free all of the slaves to enjoy what was attempted, a society based on natural rights, not the law of man.

• Silva
    Feb. 18, 2010 12:19 a.m.

We need sweeping change in Utah. This is embarrassing.

• Yikes
    Feb. 17, 2010 11:25 p.m.

Its like the Utah Senate has gone nuts - like the parents aren't home and the kids are just running the joint. What about the budget deficit and big losses facing education? These bills get crazier by the day, feels like I'm in the twilight zone. May cooler heads prevail.

• David
    Feb. 17, 2010 11:21 p.m.

Nothing could make me more embarrassed to admit that I am from Utah. If this gun guy absolutely has to have his own state holiday, and he was a 'pioneer', then lump him in with Pioneer Day instead of MLK. I'm not necessarily a huge fan of MLK the man, but what he has come to universally represent is the value of every person as an individual. This is the stupidest proposal I can imagine-- #1 on Letterman's Top Ten List for how to make everyone in the U.S. absolutely hate you.

• WOW
    Feb. 17, 2010 10:38 p.m.

I thought here in Utah it was called Civil Rights day not MLK day, I guess I could be wrong but man honestly if this wasnt reported no one would ever no about it and it would be no it deal at all. Most of the stuff that the government does no-one knows about anyway, the only time anyone cares is when it pits a group of people against another.

• Good grief, Charlie Brown!
    Feb. 17, 2010 9:34 p.m.

This is the stupidest thing you've EVER done!

• Costly Holiday
    Feb. 17, 2010 8:14 p.m.

"Holding both holidays on the same day was proposed as a money-saving measure, Niederhauser said."

There couldn't be a better economic stimulus than a holiday. Don't most people vacation, shop, spend money on home improvement projects on holidays. Where do they come up with the figures for the cost of "lost productivity" due to holidays???

• Another day Another nightmare
    Feb. 17, 2010 8:10 p.m.

It's gotten to the point where I'm wary to even read the Utah news each day to see what the next legislative boondoggle/national embarassment will be. Another taxpayer leaving the state...

• Anon
    Feb. 17, 2010 8:09 p.m.

BTW, Browning's birthday is Jan. 23. Just honor him on another day than MLK day.

• I am "Say WHAT?"
    Feb. 17, 2010 7:50 p.m.

and my "re" asks "You should try listening to Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton sometime."

I have. I find them offensive, most of the time. They are dinosaurs trotted out to give sound bites - much like David Duke and Pat Buchanan do for the right.

But what do Sharpton and Jackson have to do with this debate?

Are you trying to say that only black people can be offensive? You just proved yourself wrong.

• Karl Malone day 24th of July
    Feb. 17, 2010 7:48 p.m.

Lets change the 24th of July to Karl Malone Day.

He was born then. That is better than someone’s who's "birthday is believed to be around" there.

Plus, he did a lot of good for Utah. And there were no guns invented.

• Lex
    Feb. 17, 2010 7:25 p.m.

What is clear from the comments of the opponents to this bill is that the real basis of the objection is that they do not want to share MLK with any other great American. They should just come out and say it. They are entitled to the opinion. I disagree. Does including another great American on MLK Day minimize the accomplishments of Dr. King? If it does, then why aren't these same people screaming about President's Day? Abraham Linclon, who like King, gave his life for the cause of equality does not have his own day. My problem with this whole debate is the unfounded attacks on John Browning. He was a great American who contributed to the cause of freedom. The fact that he invented and manufactured firearms does not diminish his character or accomplishments. He did nothing wrong or immoral by providing this country with the tools it needed to preserve freedom.

• Unreal
    Feb. 17, 2010 7:10 p.m.

As if Utah critics needed yet another bone. This is insane. Makes you embarassed to tell people you're from Utah when you get associated with such insensitive stupidity.

• Re: Say WHAT?
    Feb. 17, 2010 7:08 p.m.

You should try listening to Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton sometime. Jackson uses those terms all the time, thus perpetuating the idea of monolithic "races". I don't consider myself in the "white community" and neither do any of my "racially diverse" friends consider themselves in any sort of "community" defined by physical characteristics like those.

• Lasergirl
    Feb. 17, 2010 6:54 p.m.

OH stop with guns saved us from the Nazi's crap. Guns kill people. A gun killed Martin Luther King. It is ideas like this that remind me of the priesthood ban and the racism shown to Blacks in this hateful state. Honor Browning if you want, although I think there are better candidates than that, but don't do it on the Martin Luther King Day. And ... can we please shorten the legislative session to about five days? Make it three?

• What?
    Feb. 17, 2010 6:36 p.m.

You've got to be kidding me! The national papers are going to get a hold of this story and we'll be the laughing stock of the nation. They'll all remember that we were the LAST state in the nation to even celebrate MLK holiday. This is going to go over worse than the "Utah wants to cut the 12th grade stories" that have widely circulated the media as of late.

• Your kidding right?.......
    Feb. 17, 2010 6:24 p.m.

no way, come on, don't do it. MLK is relevant to everyone. I vote to honor Browning on Halloween. I'm not a liberal.

Feb. 17, 2010 6:12 p.m.

Just what we need, another paid holiday for our goverment officials..

Feb. 17, 2010 6:09 p.m.

Just what we need,another paid holiday for our goverment officials..

• Geez Utah Leg, your dumb!
    Feb. 17, 2010 6:01 p.m.

"Browning's birthday is believed to be around Jan. 21, and he died at age 71 in 1926"

So they don't know when he was born?

Do these people know anything about PR?

Keep up the good work Utah.

• Say WHAT?
    Feb. 17, 2010 5:44 p.m.

Deseret Dawg -- "Dr. King was a legitimate hero to the Black community, but he certainly wasn't relevant or beneficial to the White community"

You know what, Deseret Dawg? ANYONE who capitalizes the colors of people's skin, has obviously been reading Aryan racist literature.

As a white woman, I'm appalled that you don't understand what Dr King and other civil rights leaders did for ALL races, religions and genders.

Feb. 17, 2010 5:43 p.m.

"During the 1930s the German Army introduced the MG 34, considered to be the first modern general purpose machine gun. Equipped with a quick-change barrel, the MG 34 could fire for much longer periods of time than weapons like the Browning Automatic Rifle and Chatellerault LMG, while being much lighter than crew-served weapons like the Vickers machine gun."

• Oh, I disagree.
    Feb. 17, 2010 5:19 p.m.

So, if we are going to be celebrating firearm inventors, let's give a shout out to the third reich.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of the Nazis, but hey, they made a heckuva killing machine.

• American
    Feb. 17, 2010 5:18 p.m.

Evet- Amen! Exactly my thoughts!

Feb. 17, 2010 5:15 p.m.

Evets MLK day is about honoring more than the man. It is about honoring our progression away from slavery and the recognizing that we are indebted to the early slaves. THey are truly responsible for the development of America

• Deseret Dawg
    Feb. 17, 2010 5:14 p.m.

I commend Rep. Madsen for finally making MLK Day relevant to all Americans. Dr. King was a legitimate hero to the Black community, but he certainly wasn't relevant or beneficial to the White community. Frankly, I'm tired of MLK being ramrodded down our throats year after year.

Browning, on the other hand, invented a tool useful to all Americans.

• Peaceful
    Feb. 17, 2010 5:12 p.m.

Honoring a gun maker on MLK day is a slap in the face to what he stood for. It is offensive and idiotic.

• Evets
    Feb. 17, 2010 5:09 p.m.

Mark: I love it. Didn't know you had the "guts" to tick off so many liberals! Great idea and well deserved.

Hey, if we can merge Washington's and Lincoln's birthday into one day why not King and Browning. Not to distract from King or Browning but I feel like Washington and Lincoln are both more deserving of their own holidays than the other two.

So come on Libs: Let's respect and remember King not worship him.

• Welcome to Utah
    Feb. 17, 2010 5:00 p.m.

This is absolutely ridiculous. I say why don't we have it on "Presidents Day" since this has to deal with guns. Of all the days to choose from it lands on a day where we celebrate a civil rights leader whom has done more for a nation and who has helped to open the gates of opportunity for many minorities. If you ask me I say this Bill will not last very long. To put a man, who no one has ever heard about on a day with a great civil rights leader is absolutely ridiculous. If you ask me it sounds like someone who still has mixed feelings about African Americans and the minority group in other words people are upset with the progression of the minority generation.

• Pedro
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:58 p.m.

RE: Billy @ 4:42

You're absolutely right. Guns helped stop the Nazi army, so we should have a day to celebrate John Browning.

Along those same lines, nuclear weapons helped defeat the Japanese. I think our legislature should declare August 6th (the day Hiroshima was bombed) a state holiday, because nuclear weapons help keep the peace.

• kobalt
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:51 p.m.

An honor of some kind for Browning,perhaps, but a state holiday I question. If there is to be a holiday, it should be on a day that doesn't look like it's downgrading Martin Luther King Day. I, too, believe that good guns are needed as tools to maintain peace and order, as long as there are those who use them to commit crime. I'm just not sure it justifies a state holiday, but certainly not on Martin Luther King Day.

Feb. 17, 2010 4:47 p.m.

What's wrong with celebrating a white man and a black man on the same day "unreal"? Sound's like you are the idiot.

• Billy
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:42 p.m.

"'Guns keep peace.'Brutal!" What a ridiculous statement! I would like to see the nazi army stopped without guns! This is what John M Browning helped do! He invented guns that helped the United States have the best machine guns and handguns in both world wars!
    Both Martin Luther King and John M Browning are great Americans and have served our country in different ways and should both be honored. Maybe not on the same day, but they should both be honored!

• shutyomouthrichard
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:40 p.m.

Great idea to honor Browning....but the wrong date to do so.

• Give me a break
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:39 p.m.

People are out of work, Jordan School district is laying off 500 people and this is the stuff our legislature spends it's time on? Adding a gun makers name to a holiday for a civil rights leader killed by a gun?!?!? I hear New Mexico is a nice place to live. We wont look like fools again to the rest of the world or anything.

• Dear Sen Madsen
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:36 p.m.

In your zeal to deface the idea of honoring our nation's foremost civil rights leader, I'd like to offer these additional suggestions. If you're going to do it, do it up RIGHT!

1 - You should have held this announcement at that apartment building across from the Loraine Motel, in Memphis, TN.

2 - You're not clear enough. Make sure you tell your constituents why it's so important to link guns to MLK. Many/most are too young to remember MLK's assassination by gunfire.

3 - You forgot Orval Faubus, the anti-desegregation governor of Arkansas! HIS birth date is January 7th! Fits right in!

Is there some way we can put a cork in Eagle Mountain, before its leakage taints the rest of Utah?

• cube monster
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:28 p.m.

Ummmmmm-----DUH!!!! I particularly agree with Jon T.'s use of "INEPTITUDE". Where did you think this was going to go Madsen???

• Hendry
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:26 p.m.

There is nothing wrong with honoring a man who played a large part in winning two world wars and saved ours and other nations from being defeated from the worst tyrants the world has ever known. Many in the german military were quoted as saying that if they had the browning machine gun, the war would have turned out differently. John M. Browning was a genius and a great American. Maybe he shouldn't be celebrated on the same day as Martin Luther King, but he deserves to be celebrated!

• Unreal
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:26 p.m.

Hey Rep. Madsen, why didn't you just call it "whites are the best holiday"! You Sir are the definition of an idiot.

• Mark
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:23 p.m.

Great to see the legislature is hard at work on the issues that really matter.

Feb. 17, 2010 4:23 p.m.

Very well stated Jon T.

Feb. 17, 2010 4:18 p.m.

Not a smart move. This will be seen by most as a slight to Martin Luther King. And, I agree that it is.

Why doesn't Rep Madsen find another day for this holiday - like April 1st or April 15th of every year.

• Dixie Dan
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:18 p.m.

"Guns keep peace." Brutal!

• Richard
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:13 p.m.

MLK day is a very important day for the US, I cannot believe that these clowns want to honor someone else, whom ever it may be on that same day!

Get a clue Utah!!!!!!
    I would move but then the way too far right wing here in Utah would win, so I say we all need to speak up and let these clowns know that they do not represent us or our best interest.

• Jon T.
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:06 p.m.

Ignorance. Insensitivity. Ineptitude. Please don't tell me Rep. Madsen couldn't foresee this blowing up in his face. Of course he couldn't. Well, good thing it has and hopefully it is changed immediately.

• Pedro
    Feb. 17, 2010 4:02 p.m.

That's it. I'm moving. Politicians in this state are pretty dim, and we voters are pretty dim for voting them into office.