Dick Harmon: Former BYU fullback Manase Tonga has chance to turn his NFL dream into reality

• Trainer
    April 10, 2010 11:53 p.m.

Congrats Tonga! It takes hard work and drive to get to where you are! I hope all works out for you.

FOR ALL THE HATERS...don't comment unless you have something worth reading! -It's irritating how SOME people have to always knock others down when they're doing something worthwhile for themselves---GET A LIFE!-NOBODY CARES TO HEAR FROM YOU! STOP the BYU-U business!!

I know Dave and he's ALWAYS been a hard worker! I'm sure he's a great trainer! I worked-out by him for years. Dave was a great athlete too and nobody knows more than he does about how important it is to be in good shape for a professional life in sports. I'm a personal fitness trainer with 15 years of experience and ran a health club for more than 9 years, I have full confidence in Dave's abilities! Anyone who wants to train with a great trainer should schedule an appointment with him!...By the way, I don't work for the same company as he does and I'm not related to him. -I honestly trust him and know he has great training techniques!

• Trainer
    Feb. 21, 2010 9:49 p.m.

I've worked out with Dave before. That guy is insanely good at what he does. I doubled my home run total after working out with him, but I don't live near there anymore, so I no longer get the workouts.

Amazing trainer.

• danburtreynolds
    Feb. 18, 2010 7:15 p.m.

Sorry Spudman, and Hey Anonymous: Your teams aren't the litmus test. I don't judge the success of the Utes according to how well they do against your teams whether it is 10 years ago or an hour ago. I'm sorry if that hurts your feelings.

• Spudman
    Feb. 18, 2010 6:46 p.m.

Yeah and when have the Utes ever beat BSU? Never--Nuff said.

• Hey Anonymous
    Feb. 18, 2010 6:45 p.m.

When was the last time BYU beat Utah in both football and basketball. 2010--nuff said.

• Re: Anonymous | 9:16 a.m.
    Feb. 17, 2010 12:31 p.m.

Cuz the sugar bowl really helped Brian Johnson. Now Brian is the star of a local flag football game.

I don't want to get into bashing players on both sides because I do respect Johnson and what he's done, and I think he will be a good coach. But know the facts J.O.

• ajw
    Feb. 17, 2010 12:00 p.m.

I think the fact that the 2 fullback prior to Tonga are starting in the NFL says something to scouts. As a fullback, it matters not when you are drafted as you will make your money in your second contract anyway. Will go 5-7th round and one of the first fullbacks taken because he has amazing hands and quick feet for a fullback. And finally, a fullback is probably the one player on the team (kickers don't count as they are not football players) where your height is meaningless. They are ment to block and pick up blitzes where your lower leverage is important. The shorter the better as long as they have the weight and speed to cut off the rush. I love the story as I have rooted for NoS during is ups and downs. I hope he has a great career!

• Good question
    Feb. 16, 2010 10:19 a.m.

Bones Justice, that was a legitimate question that I thought of myself.

I think the difference is that he's going full time now, whereas the student athletes still have to go to class, study, find a wife, etc. If you've been a student, then you know the difference. I can't imagine what working out full time could do for someone.

• DEar Anonymous
    Feb. 16, 2010 3:03 a.m.

Utah won it 2 years ago and five years before that. So what.

• Dear Bones Justice
    Feb. 16, 2010 2:59 a.m.

Read the article really slow and you just might discover that it takes an inordinate amount of time for him to gain this physical strength and agility, far more time than the student athlete has. The teams would have to spend 5-6 hours each day to accomplish this. What should they give up, the team sport or their classes. Analyze before commenting.

• Digbads
    Feb. 15, 2010 11:06 p.m.

I will miss Tonga at BYU. He really stabilized that young O-line.
    Hopefully they will have others step up next year.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 15, 2010 4:53 p.m.

Thanks Stat wizard

but question was the LAST time the cougars won the MWC.

So yes, I disagree and the facts don't lie - zoobie.

• ihaveabrain
    Feb. 15, 2010 4:34 p.m.

when was the last time the cougars won the MWC... well let's see (according to MWC stats)

2009 - TCU
    2008 - Utah
    2007 - BYU
    2006 - BYU
    2005 - TCU
    2004 - Utah
    2003 - CSU
    2002 - BYU
    2001 - CSU
    2000 - BYU/CSU/Utah

By my count, the winner is:

1. BYU - 3 outright MWC championships & 1 tie
    2. Utah - 2 outright MWC champsionships & 1 tie
    3. CSU - 2 outright MWC champsionships & 1 tie
    4. TCU - 2 outright MWC champsionships

So I'm prety sure the Utes don't own that one...
    and I'm pretty sure the Utes went home with an "L" after visiting Provo this year, so I don't think they own that one either.

Care to disagree? Facts don't lie, whiners do.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 15, 2010 4:10 p.m.

When was the last time Cougars won the MWC? Pretty sure the Utes Own that as well.

• LOL
    Feb. 15, 2010 11:49 a.m.

Is there a single player in the MWC with 2 BCS wins under his belt, one that actually played both games and wasn't just sitting on the bench? That's just awesome that you had to pipe in with that. I don't know how long BYU fans got the "stop living in the past" argument. Glad to see U falling back on past accomplishments.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 15, 2010 9:16 a.m.

Too bad he doesn't have 2 BCS wins under his belt. That would make him stand out more. Kitties will never do anything noteworthy on a national stage other than their weak champsionship 25 years ago

• what is happening?
    Feb. 15, 2010 8:58 a.m.

This is kind of nice...not a single rotten Ute comment.

• Um
    Feb. 14, 2010 9:28 p.m.

The best fullbacks in the NFL are not drafted in the first 4 rounds, forget about him going that high, most likely will be a FA pickup and have a chance to make a roster of his choice. Go get um Tonga.

• Tonga is the Man
    Feb. 14, 2010 9:09 p.m.

Tonga is a devastating blocker. He will be drafted in the first or second round based on his college stats....which prove his success at the fullback position. Manase, we're proud of you. Go get em'

• Great Story
    Feb. 14, 2010 5:05 p.m.

I would love to hear more stories like this. There are a few elite trainers and companies in Utah, Like BASICS Sports who seem to turn some hopefuls and not so hopefuls into NFL drafties. BASICS seems to help 3 or 4 each year make it to the NFL. These are great feel good stories. Best of Luck this fine athlete.

• Re: Anonymous
    Feb. 14, 2010 4:16 p.m.

Your mom runs a 8.1 in the 40

Nuff said

• Re: Chester
    Feb. 14, 2010 3:09 p.m.

"I walked by him at practice and I'm 5'8.5 and he was only two inches taller than me. He's 5'11" at best..."

Yeah... When I walk by someone... I know exactly how tall they are since I know how tall I am.

There's no way you could possibly know if he's 5'11" or 6' JUST by walking by him.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 14, 2010 1:26 p.m.

he runs a 6.1 in the 40.

Nuff said

• Re: Bones Justice
    Feb. 14, 2010 12:48 p.m.

Strength isn't a problem with BYU athletes. It's quickness that needs work

• Chester
    Feb. 14, 2010 12:38 p.m.

Not one Ute fan has been on this post yet. Why even bring them up? Forget about them. Focus on Tonga, not your hatred for Utah and the things they haven't posted on this story yet. Tonga is the best blocking back in school history and I'm excited to see where he ends up playing on Sunday. However, his 6' tall stat is quite generous. I walked by him at practice and I'm 5'8.5 and he was only two inches taller than me. He's 5'11" at best but that doesn't matter. He can crush defenders and BYU will miss his presence big time this next year. Good luck Manase.

• blueman
    Feb. 14, 2010 12:15 p.m.

Ute fans are always jeolous of any cougar athlete accomplishment. Tonga will get a shot at led blocker and pass protecter with some team. Tahi was adrian petersens led blocker why do you think he gets so many yards. Big strong fullbacks can make a living in the NFL these days so ute fans pull your heads out and get off of our blog if you dont have anything intelligent to say, or have i forgot you never really do.

Feb. 14, 2010 10:26 a.m.

Special teams, FB, catching the ball out of the backfield, toughness.

I see a long NFL career for another Cougar.

• Bones Justice
    Feb. 14, 2010 8:15 a.m.

If he feels stronger tahn ever, why doesn't the entire team work out with that trainer?

• In before...
    Feb. 14, 2010 8:10 a.m.

...Ute fans telling us he's too slow to make it in the NFL.

• Manase Fan
    Feb. 13, 2010 11:36 p.m.

Good luck, Manase!

• Best blocking back BYU ever had.
    Feb. 13, 2010 10:01 p.m.

I'm serious. Manase picks up blitzes like nobody's business. He made the team much better this year.

• Cougar Fan