Sports

Utah Jazz: Deron Williams says talk of cutting NBA salaries 'stinks'

Comments

• nathan
    March 1, 2010 2:28 p.m.

look at cops, they r out saving life and basketball players are getting paid a lot more then the cops are and its ridiculous.

• Steve
    Feb. 14, 2010 10:30 a.m.

Honestly, players should just refuse to talk to the press about this stuff. It just makes them look like spoiled, greedy kids. It would take most people more than 200 years to make what Deron Williams is making this year. That stinks.

Will there ever be another player like John Stockton? Not only was he one of the best players ever, he was loyal, and he was not greedy. He worked without an agent, working out his own contracts, and he worked for 'only' around $5 million a year, while other players of his caliber were making $15-$18 million.

It's sad that no one will ever even attempt to live up to that man.

• ZEKE
    Feb. 13, 2010 8:20 p.m.

Professonel Atheletes like polatitions are way over paid. Maybe they should try and work for minimum wage with no insurance and support a family.

• Commission
    Feb. 13, 2010 6:28 p.m.

How about making the NBA a commission job? Your players get paid more depending on individual stats, and more importantly, how many games their team wins. Playoff games would bump the their pay scales drastically. Good idea?

• stock2malone
    Feb. 13, 2010 4:31 p.m.

Anyone who thinks the owner want to lower their player's salaries so they can lower tix prices, et al. is foolish. They want, solely, to pad their bottom line in that "great" american way.

• Don't be to hard on DWill
    Feb. 13, 2010 2:37 p.m.

All of the max players are going to take a cut and they all are not happy about it. But that is life. I just found out Friday that I am losing 5 % of revenue that I was getting. The economy is not getting better fast and is likely to stay weak for some time.

The CBA has to be adjusted and the owner changes are no surprise. The current CBA favors the LAs, BOSs and other big market teams. It needs to be changes for financial reasons but it really needs to be changed for competitive reasons.

• The new CBA
    Feb. 13, 2010 2:29 p.m.

may change the way super stars choose teams. They may insist on going where they have enough good supporting players to win.

The new CBA if it has a hard cap could stop LA from buying championships.

Utah could benefit under the new CBA. LA would be weaker and IF Utah manages its cost structure well it would be in better position to win.

The new CBA would favor teams that had a system and could find cheap role players to plug into the system. Utah would have to not over pay role players to compete but could compete for stars if they had enough of the right role players.

• Truly Sorry
    Feb. 13, 2010 1:43 p.m.

Even though I am unemployed and my wife is scheduled to be laid off next month I think we should consider taking up a collection for these struggling NBA players once this new contract kicks in. Image if Darin or any of them had to go from 15-17 Million a year to something dramtically lower, like only 10 Million. Oh the horrors.

• Ed
    Feb. 13, 2010 11:07 a.m.

It is supply and demand. It is the consumers (fans) that set the price for the players. I don't have a problem with Deron's pay but I think his whining is more of his continued immaturity. He sure says some childish things, some times.

• CL
    Feb. 13, 2010 10:54 a.m.

It's sad, they make so much mney they can't relate to the average fan.
    Once they start making that kind of money they develope and attitude of entitlement. They think they deserve more and more. They see things through different eyes than the average person.
    I hope some drastic changes in the CBA take place and significant cuts in salaries result.

• craig in colorado springs
    Feb. 13, 2010 10:46 a.m.

If the owners are pushing for smaller contracts then they need to lower the price of tickets, conssessions, and apparel. It isn't fair to cut the players salary and keep raising the prices of tickets, conssessions and apparel. In the end it is the fan that is taking the big hit to the wallet

• Lute
    Feb. 13, 2010 10:32 a.m.

Let's back off and take a breath. Isn't it possible that ANYONE suddenly hit with the prospect of a big pay cut, from ANY level, would instinctively react the way Williams did? "It stinks." This isn't a comment on anyone ELSE'S pay, or what an NBA guard should be worth. Maybe we should take this into account before hurrying to put the "greedy athlete' label on someone we don't really know except for TV interviews.

• Williams gaffe
    Feb. 13, 2010 10:14 a.m.

Deron would have been better served with a "no comment" on a question like this. You're not going to win any more fans by complaining about your max salary. Even a comment like "I hope we can work out a deal so that there's not a lockout" would have been safer. Whining about losing, granted, millions of dollars, while you're making millions of dollars is just evidence that these NBA superstars are nothing like the people that watch them.

Can I understand that players want their cut, since that's who people pay to see? Yes. But the fans suffer when ticket prices go up and they cannot afford to go to games, and ultimately, so will the players.

• Post Them All D-News
    Feb. 13, 2010 10:11 a.m.

Where's the greed, greed, greed? You people are part of the "big" steal also, and don't want fans to know the billions the media reaps from sports. Get it all pout there boys.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 13, 2010 9:55 a.m.

Everybody needs to calm down. He wasn't trying to say that he doesn't get paid enough and 10 million a year wont cut it. He is just saying if he would have known sooner he might would have signed a longer deal, which would have been great for the Jazz! On another note, they do all get paid WAY too much!!!!!!!!!

• jbra80
    Feb. 13, 2010 9:46 a.m.

Do you guys really think that if they cut players salaries, that it is an effort to lower costs of tickets? I don't. I'm pretty sure it's just going to fill the owners pockets a little more than they already are. The players are being paid what the market set for them. We can complain about how much they make, but if they're pulling in that much money for their team and the NBA, well then I think they are entitled to do a little complaining as well. I would complain if my employers were going to reduce my salary by 20%, would you?

I know it's hard to make 5 figures and struggle through life, then listen to someone making 8 figures complain, but you have to see it from their side too.

• Wow
    Feb. 13, 2010 9:40 a.m.

Well its to bad but that is the world we live in and that was created for us, I was just recently laid off after 16 years at a place, Deron at least your set for life, I get to go start over at 43 years old. I dont feel to bad for you. There are people out there that are living on the street for heck sakes and in the next few years you can make 30 million thats so sad that that is all you will make. Sure love ya though, keep working hard playing a game.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 13, 2010 9:28 a.m.

It's always the greedy plays and not the greedy owners or the greedy media. Sports mirrors real life where all economic problems are caused by American workers.

• GoodGuyGary
    Feb. 13, 2010 9:28 a.m.

Let's tell the greedy players by not going to the game and see what they will say. In fact, when many people losing their jobs, and the ticket and hotdog price are keep going up, sooner or later the arenas will be empty.

• Bankshot7
    Feb. 13, 2010 9:17 a.m.

I wish the NBA owners association would shutter the windows and let the players find real jobs, then they would quit being so greedy. Without the owners, there is no NBA. Without the Best Players, guess what, there is still an NBA. Albeit, it wouldn't be the same but if only those players that would be willing to play for half of what the players are making now, would be willing to play, it would still be a competitive league and people would still pay to watch. And guess what, after a few months or even a few seasons, the primadonas would return for less pay. The ticket prices are ridiculous and so are the players salaries. Everyone thinks the owners would get the difference but it would result in lower ticket prices and the public would get the difference.

Sometimes you just don't know how good you have it!!!!

• Deron Williams
    Feb. 13, 2010 8:44 a.m.

What a spoile rotten primma-donna. I guess you want us lowly fans to feel sorry for you making 13mil plus per year with all expenses paid? Get real PUNK!

• Anonymous
    Feb. 13, 2010 8:17 a.m.

I'm sorry but for those who wonder if they are going to make ends meet each day I have no sympathy with Deron. Get a life. 13 M a year and you are complaining. I was a season ticket holder for 10 years and saw my tickets go from 12.00 to 82.50. For what? Those who take it for granted. Cut the salaries down to the average working American. Let families afford to go to the games again. It isn't considered a past-time anymore it is a luxury and one I am not willing to pay.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 13, 2010 8:05 a.m.

They need to stop acting like two year olds. They get paid 1000x more than alot of people out there, and they complain about a pay cut when other people out there are losing their jobs and working their butt off to get food on the table for their family.

I guess all of this money has turned the players to being greedy.

• liberal Larry
    Feb. 13, 2010 8:01 a.m.

One of my friends did some volunteer work down at Welfare Square and they gave him some canned chili. It was really good. Maybe next time we can get some for poor, Deron, so he can make it through until his next 1.1 million dollar, monthly pay check.

• Barry O
    Feb. 13, 2010 7:48 a.m.

What a disappointing statement from Williams!

Hey Deron - You're among the best in the NBA but you don't deserve 10% of what you make!

Sorry. Reality bites sometimes.

• fossil
    Feb. 13, 2010 7:44 a.m.

how much do these greedy players need. one year of a few million should be enough for their lifetimes if they invest but they make millions for many years.
    i guess everyone is greedy.

• louisiana jazz man
    Feb. 13, 2010 7:01 a.m.

nobody comes to watch me at my office but i caint tell the owner of the co i want part of the profit either. we make all the money the co earns the owner does none of the work he just put up millions of dollars to buy the co. same as the nba

• Bobby D
    Feb. 13, 2010 6:38 a.m.

You had to figure this was coming. But who is to blame? Its the owners! They go and make these guarenteed contracts and a player plays for 1 month and he goes out for the season, ala Boozer. Baseball is the worst for this. You remove an injured player from your roster of DWills talent, and the Jazz go on a 10 game losing streak, and who is going to pay his salary. This whole problem is totally the responsiblity of the owners. I dont feel sorry for them at all. They raise ticket prices to cover their butts and after a while, the fans stop being fans. I feel sorry for the fans who land Lebron next year.

• OBama will regulate salaries
    Feb. 13, 2010 6:24 a.m.

just wait, Obama will propose regulating NBA salaries to no more than 250k per year and then being fair and sharing the wealth. How's that hope n change working out for ya David Stern??

• a different world
    Feb. 13, 2010 6:22 a.m.

A man makes 14 million a year and he is complaining?? Talk about a different world!! See what Darin feels like if he were make 55k per year with no contract as do most in the real world. NBA players are grossly overpaid and I for one would like to see a 50% reduction in pay at minimum!!

• Pacegal
    Feb. 13, 2010 5:52 a.m.

If they get their salaries cut I know that they do a lot for charities but possibly it will help put some food on other peoples table. There is a lot of pain and suffering in the middle and lower class because of the economy. Yes, it's too bad for them but I hope it will help others in need. I think they make way too much anyway!

• average
    Feb. 13, 2010 5:14 a.m.

The average NBA salary is 5.356 million dollars a year. At my current salary, as a teacher in Utah, with 10 years of experience, I would only have to teach for 93 years to make what the "average" NBA player makes in one year. I would love to make $50,000 like Digbads suggests but I am far below that.

• doc
    Feb. 13, 2010 5:11 a.m.

All this talk about reducing player's salaries is an effort to protect stupid owner's from themselves. I don't feel sorry for the Wizards who gave Arenas a 9 figure salary even though he was injured at the time: that was idiotic!!

Or, the Jazz either for giving A.K. a max contract or matching C.J.'s or Millsap's offer sheets or giving an increasing immobile Okur a contract extention for 10 million over the next two seasons when nobody else would have done that: all stupid and costly moves!!

Why should the players suffer? Nobody put a gun to the owner's heads making them give out bad contracts. The owners need to get smarter and stop blaming the players for managerial stupidity.

• Rich
    Feb. 13, 2010 5:05 a.m.

Hey, Mr. Brave Anonymous, of course players should get paid. The question is should they get paid so much that ticket prices should remain sky-high and so high that teams will be forced to sell all their broadcast rights to cable channels or pay-per-view channels, or should they be paid a bit less than is currently the case. The owners can't afford to lose money for too long, or their costs will have to come down and their income up. Duh.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 13, 2010 4:43 a.m.

attendance is droping because tickets are getting more expensive to pay for these athletes. People in the office gets laid off. In order to control the ticket price, salaries of these playes must be controlled.

• Chuck Nunn
    Feb. 13, 2010 4:27 a.m.

Nobody wants to take a pay cut, so on the one hand, I can understand the knee-jerk reaction of players about what the owners are proposing. But a lot of us have gone through layoffs, those of us with jobs have taken pay cuts or unpaid leave. I hope that players and owners will be mindful of fans, who are the consumers of their product, when they negotiate a new CBA.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 13, 2010 2:15 a.m.

As long as people are paying to watch the games, the athletes should get paid. Do people buy tickets to come watch you work in your office?

• Anonymous
    Feb. 13, 2010 2:01 a.m.

let there be lockout for the nba players to see what's the real value of money!!!! They don't realize alot of people lost there job and begging for any kind of job just to feed their family. I agree that players salary should cut and use the money in other more meaningful things like giving more jobs to small people.

• Digbads
    Feb. 13, 2010 1:06 a.m.

Boo Hoo...

How about he takes just $1 million from his salary and pays for 20 teachers each year.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 13, 2010 1:05 a.m.

We are in a recession. Everyone is suffering. Why should the athletes be exempt from "suffering" a pay cut?

• Its not fair
    Feb. 12, 2010 11:59 p.m.

I'd like to see a real live "lockout". It would open some eyes of the salary injustices of NBA players.

• sorry Deron
    Feb. 12, 2010 11:55 p.m.

I feel bad all of you guys are going to have to take a pay cut. Ok no I don't. Athletes make way too much and if everyone is hurting, it gets passed on to you guys too. Don't worry you'll still get a max contract, it just won't be for as much.