Salt Lake Police Department's Bomb Squad warns against homemade chemical bombs

• PhD
    Feb. 4, 2010 6:56 a.m.

I consulted on a court case where a middle school "science" teacher exploded these for a class. A kid (literally) lost an eye as a result, and he still suffers PTS from it. These are not a joke, they are just plain stupid things to build precisely because they are so unreliable.

• BS
    Feb. 3, 2010 3:02 p.m.

You would think these dry ice bombs were harmless but if you had your mailbox destroyed and the twisted metal launched into your garage door like I have had done by "kids" you would know they are anything but harmless. It's destructive at the very least and can potentially be very dangerous. I also support the police and wish the "kids" would stick to truly harmless activities.

• Naruto is right
    Feb. 3, 2010 2:52 p.m.

Couldn't agree more, Naruto. I love to blow stuff up. Dry Ice bombs were a favorite of mine! Add some Alka-Seltzers in there and KA-BLAMMO! Fun Stuff!

The bomb squad just wants all the fun for themselves.

• PP
    Feb. 3, 2010 10:55 a.m.

The problem here is, the government is trying to protect us from ourselves. That is not an appropriate position for government to take and is the first step in government abuse. And they always say "we are just trying to protect the kids". A nice line when it is true, but usually an excuse to justify excessive behavior by the government.

Really, if I create a big bomb and blow a big hole in my own land - who cares. Lets use common sense and realize that there has to be an actual act of violence or negligence before we call something a crime.

BTW, I support the police. It is the politicians that usually overreact in these situations.

• Naruto
    Feb. 3, 2010 10:39 a.m.

The bomb squad looks for any excuse to blow stuff up. No one likes to explode things more than them. all those kids who did this stuff are now in the bomb squad, they are reliving their youth!

• wallofvoodoo
    Feb. 3, 2010 10:16 a.m.

I think they are being harsh for a first offense for a dry ice bomb. We blew up stuff when I was a kid well aware it was illegal,dangerous & stupid. Honestly Me & my friends are all lucky that we didn't kill or seriously maim ourselves. But seriously, what were adults doing with bombs?

• is a Big Deal..They xplode
    Feb. 3, 2010 9:17 a.m.

In front of you and not thinking

thier not toys

• Anonymous
    Feb. 3, 2010 9:09 a.m.

The police have every right to protect the community; when people start saying, 'oh, that one's only a little crime, they're just kids, let them get away with it' then kids grow up never learning their lesson. If their parents and neighbors think that being charged with a felony is so harsh, then maybe they should be teaching their youngsters something more productive to do with their time.

I know a man who lost his entire arm in high school when he was running with a school chemistry project in his hands. I also know a teenage boy who had serious neck injuries after a homemade paintball gun blew up on him - and in his case, emergency workers couldn't get in the house to take care of him until the police had shown up, for their own safety - for all they knew, it was a real gun involved and the mother was lying about a paintball gun to get them there. That happens often enough in domestic violence cases that police now have to show up as a set policy. Many think it's no big deal, but it puts others in danger.

• Doug G
    Feb. 3, 2010 7:13 a.m.

Never create one with good rye whisky. Trust me. It's alcohol abuse, and besides it is still an explosion, like the article says.

• Not bombs.
    Feb. 3, 2010 5:09 a.m.

These so called dry ice noise makers are not bombs nor meant to harm or hurt. Although they can hurt if very close, they are less harmless than 4th of July fire works. People can get hurt by many forms around the home and the police are just over reacting to a noise maker.

By police definition, a car backfire would be a bomb as it can tear apart a muffler or exhaust pipe. It's getting ridiculous what law enforcement is coming up with.

• Making Bombs & Harm to others
    Feb. 3, 2010 12:50 a.m.

Wouldnt be act of Vilolent//Violence to others
    And they need to be PUNISHED to the full term/

• tele
    Feb. 2, 2010 7:20 p.m.

"The community still feels it's no big deal," Hmmm...if it's OK with the community...then why does the bomb squad care? Must be a little slow down there these days. Back in my day we built pipe bombs...just for the fun of it...never did any harm to anyone or anything (other than a big hole in the dirt)...nowadays I suppose we would get busted for what? A felony? C'mon...we weren't "FELONS". Seems to me it used to be you had to do something bad to become a felon...now just about any law abiding citizen can be one...is this what we have to thank the Department of Homeland Insecurity for?