Sports

Utes' Henderson suspended one game

Comments

• Max Hall
    Feb. 5, 2010 11:24 p.m.

is a quarterback on a football team, not "an example of a belief system."

If you want an example of a belief system, I can name several: Thomas S. Monson, Henry B. Eyring, Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Boyd K. Packer, and eleven others.

Ute fans are upset (as usual) that one of their players did something very stupid. Ute fans are trying to throw mud at BYU to rationalize in their own minds how anything done or said by a Ute is excusable based on circumstances. BYU fans on the other hand are judged by some other standard, where everything they say and do is an obvious reflection of their self-righteousness and hypocrisy.

Football and basketball are games, and both Max Hall and Henderson were out of line. Neither incident proves superiority of either school, and neither incident is a reason to stereotype every member of a religion as a hypocrite.

Move on! This debate is stupid.

• Credit Boylen
    Feb. 5, 2010 4:18 p.m.

I am a BYU fan and I think Boylen deserves some credit for handling this appropriately and quickly. Obviously Henderson made a mistake and Boylen is letting him learn from it. Go Utes. Go Cougs. Go MWC.

• Trooper
    Feb. 4, 2010 2:04 p.m.

Their is alot of hate between the two schools, read the article and alot of the comments. Thperson was punished by the league and it should be end of story. Iam for neither team and a firm beleiver that you must live by what the Lord taught us to forgive the wrong that was done not carry on like it's the end of the world. Grow up and move on.

• He should go to prison
    Feb. 3, 2010 3:39 a.m.

Sandyclaws | 1:21 a.m. Feb. 1, 2010

"Let's give this young man a break. His action was one of frustration; the kind of emotional flare -up that young men sometimes exhibit at such times. As he matures he will learn better to control himself in such situations. No harm was done."

No harm was done? He's just lucky that Emery didn't press charges against him or he would be in jail on assault and battery charges.

"I would hate to be judged for life for a few of my actions when I was 18."

Yet people who commit crimes and physically assault other people go to jail all the time yet this boy should get a free pass because he's young? I'm sorry but criminal behavior is criminal behavior and he should:

a) be suspended from the team;
    b) be expelled from school;
    c) serve the maximum prison sentence for assault.

So he will learn a lesson and other sports players will learn that assault and battery is still a crime even if they commit it on the court or field.

• @ Okay, here goes and others
    Feb. 2, 2010 4:41 p.m.

Wow! My only consolation is that it's probable the person who wrote that is younger than 18. Otherwise, it's a sad state of affairs when someone can seriously blame Henderson's actions on Emery.

As for the rest of the people commenting, notice how most of these posts are trying to distract from the fact that Henderson acted immaturely by pointing out that they think Emery flopped.

• and there it went
    Feb. 2, 2010 4:04 p.m.

a typical blame-the-other-guy response from an adolescent BYU hater who isn't yet capable of taking responsibility for his own ACTIONS

Henderson is a hot head
    Henderson threw the sucker punch
    Henderson was charged with a flagrant foul
    Henderson was ejected
    Henderson was suspended
    Henderson was solely responsible for his actions

Being an adult means learning to take responsibility for your own actions.

Obviously Henderson and you haven't reached that level of maturity, yet.

College basketball games are physical and intense. If Henderson can't handle the pressure, the coach should be smart enough to bench him until he's learned how to handle the pressure.

• re: re: slapstick
    Feb. 2, 2010 1:01 p.m.

way to justify the actions of your team. Well done.

• Nominee
    Feb. 2, 2010 9:44 a.m.

And the Oscar goes to Jackson Emery of BYU for dropping like a banana peel when he was barely scratched!

Way to go kid!!

Id like to thank Jimmer for scoring all our points and Id like to thank the fans for being such classy fans and not drinking coke!

YO ADRIAN

• Okay, here goes
    Feb. 2, 2010 9:38 a.m.

I am going to blame Emery for the whole affair.

If Mr Emery does not take several steps and get right in Mr Henderson's grill, then none of this happens.

If Mr Emery does not bump into (yes, all you delusional, myopic Cougar fans) and INITIATE the PHYSICAL CONTACT, then none of this happens.

Mr Henderson's reaction, from a neutral perspective (neither Ute or Cougar fan here), was nothing more than an attempt to get Mr Emery out of his personal space. That he connected with Mr Emery at all was an unfortunate consequence.

Once again, the person who initiates the situation, Mr Emery, is let off free of responsibility whilst the frenzied Cougar masses call for the blood of any who dare besmirch the Cougar Nation.

Pot meet Kettle.

• Henderson is a 2 yr old
    Feb. 2, 2010 8:14 a.m.

Mr. Henderson needs to get grip on his out-of-control behavior. Anyone with half a brain could see that this incident was clearly his cause, to say that Emery had anything to do with Henderson's loss of control is out of their YWETIE minds. His 4th or 5th slamming of the ball off of Tavernari that set off the whole incident was clearly an example of his frustrations of Fredette's, Emery's, and Haw's running him in around in circles all night long. Yes, he was able to put down some impressive shots himself, but has some big lessons to learn to become a better player:
    1) Lose that whiny/cry-baby attitude
    2) Learn to control your big-headed emotions whether you win or lose...
    3) Know that you are going to take a huge amount of abuse for the next 7 times you face BYU
    4) Learn to win some games, especially against the teams you should blow away like Idaho State, Weber State, Illinois State, and the likes of other weak competition
    5) Get used to losing to the men of the south...

• RockOn
    Feb. 2, 2010 6:00 a.m.

Good on Boylen. Plays it straight up. The kid made a mistake in the heat of the game. No Big Deal...

Would prefer that he only sit for the BYU game... that's where he made the error. But Boylen has handled this exceptionally well.

Go Cougs.

• Re: Come on.
    Feb. 2, 2010 5:36 a.m.

I'd like to see the form of that apology you think Henderson owes to the Utes (but not to BYU).

Henderson: "I'd like to sincerely apologize to Ute nation for failing to stop that lousy kewg Emery from maliciously forcing his face into my left fist and then flopping like a girl. I'm sorry to my teammates, but Emery deserved what he got. Most of all, I'm just sorry we got trounced by BYU...again. But in all fairness, I had nothing to do with the embarrassments that have been going on for the last four years and I'm really only kind of responsible for my actions because, afterall, I'm only a freshman."

Sounds good to me. Just to be clear, as a BYU fan, I really don't care what Henderson does or says at this point and I look forward to him losing his cool for every rivalry game over the next four years. If Max Hall has taught us anything, it's that hating your opponent so completely messes with your game (Hall's worst two games of the last two seasons were against Utah...to Utah's benefit).

• Come on.
    Feb. 2, 2010 12:23 a.m.

Henderson owes nothing to BYU. If anyone deserves an apology it's the Ute teammates and fanbase. And nobody should be comparing this psuedo skirmish to the taunt and sock 'em issue with Oregon vs Boise St. Watch the footage. Did Emery's jaw buckle or his eyes roll around? It's not that big of a deal. byu fans are doing themselves a disservice if they focus on this instead of a win.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 2, 2010 12:04 a.m.

I don't get why everyone gets so worked up over that punch. Every level of sports I have watched, I have seen players fight or take shots at other players (pick up games, peewee league, high school, college, Olympics, Pros and Church Ball). What to do you expect when the goal is to win and aggression is encouraged. In the heat of the moment, things do get out of hand.

BYU fans get over yourselves, you school had it fair share of bad behavior in the past (O'Neil Chambers, Chris Miles, Rafeal Arauja and the 2004 football recruiting class). Really, you guys should be the last ones throwing stones. I swear you guys either have short memories or selective memories.

• Oscartoemery
    Feb. 1, 2010 11:28 p.m.

Congrats on the oscar

• Curly Howard
    Feb. 1, 2010 10:25 p.m.

At least Max Hall apologized for a truthful reference of Ute fans. Where's the Ute apology? Boys will be boys, get over it. It was in the heat of battle. Emotions get away from a young player,--he'll learn from this. Utes have no honor!!!!!!!!!! Had a cougar thrown a punch, this board would filled with ute sarcasm. You have no honor!!!!!!!!!

• Anonymous
    Feb. 1, 2010 10:09 p.m.

Maybe emery should get a suspension. Its not like hendersen just hit him out of nowhere, it was a response to what emery did.

• ronin14
    Feb. 1, 2010 9:40 p.m.

I am sorry this was a physical assault and regardless if he is eighteen years old he is an adult and deserves much more punishement. Maybe Utah should review how Oregon handled their player in a very similar sitution after their Boise State game.
    How sad is the media blew a incident with words involved because it was BYU player and when there is physical assault they sweep under the rug.
    Shame on Utah and shame on the media.

• Cougar in Omaha
    Feb. 1, 2010 8:24 p.m.

While all the animosity? Too funny. That was a pretty good flop if I have ever seen one. These things happen. Henderson is a real competitor and is going to be a terrific player. Hopefully both teams can finish strong. Go Cougs!

• re: Slapstick
    Feb. 1, 2010 7:17 p.m.

The obvious response is, unlike Drca and Henderson, if the incidents involving BYU players had warranted a suspension, the MWC and BYU would have taken action. The fact that neither did, is proof that the incidents, though unfortunate, weren't nearly as serious as you suggest.

• Slapstick
    Feb. 1, 2010 6:59 p.m.

To be clear. Utah suspended Luca Drca in 2009 for tripping an opposing player. Utah suspended Marshall Henderson in 2010 for a backhanded slap to an opposing player.

When Rafael Araujo punched UNLV guard Jerel Blassingame in the 2004 MWC tournment no action was taken by the byu coach or administration. 3 days later he was charged with a technical foul for elbowing the Utes' Andrew Bogut in the head. No action taken by byu.

And when David Miles kicked Andrew Bogut in the back in 2005 byu also chose to ignore the transgressions.

• TED
    Feb. 1, 2010 6:57 p.m.

I find it funny that the Utes always put spin on events of the game when BYU wins. I guess you have to get something out of it. Emery flopped, Emery flopped, Emery flopped. Oh yea, we lost.

• Howie
    Feb. 1, 2010 6:28 p.m.

Hendersen shouldn't have reacted to whatever was said to him by Emery. But Emery crumpled quicker than a bug hitting a windshield as soon as I saw it I heard Howard Cosell's voice in my head..."down goes Frazier, down goes Frazier". It is also what Greg Ostertag must have looked like when Shaq slapped him.

• DSB
    Feb. 1, 2010 6:27 p.m.

I agree completely with "an embarrassed fan." There's no way Emery anticipated the hit, or could have planned a flop so immediately after the hit. I've seen people go down, very much like Emery, after running into a bee. It's not the force, it's the surprise and natural reaction to distance yourself from the danger. The quicker the unanticipated danger, the more overreactive the response in surprise.

Just watch the entire incident in real time, then go to You Tube and look up "weightlifter mouse prank" and watch that. Very much alike, and both very funny.

But, I agree it was all heat-of-the-moment stuff - kids learning to play in a more adult competitive environment. The punishment fits the crime, and let's all move on. If "an excerpt from Las Vegas Sun, 5:02" is correct, a one-game suspension may not be enough of a wake-up call for this apparently emotionally imbalanced young man.

• Go Cougars
    Feb. 1, 2010 6:08 p.m.

As great as Max Hall is and as accurate as he was when he called Utah classless - he should have called them worthless. As classless as they are, worthless is a much better description.

• JPB
    Feb. 1, 2010 6:01 p.m.

The Utah coach is only outdone in classlessness by his classless freshman. I agree that the example set by Boylan as he stomps, rants at the officials and cries after games may be the root of all of the classless acts perpetrated by his team. Emery and JT can only be commended for not escalating the situation after the hit on Jackson (and yes Yewt fans it was a real hit). He is fortunate that his Coach volunteered a one game suspension. The very least he should have received instead of something major like such an act deserves. Let's see if the Yewts can clean up their act before the rematch in the Yewts house.

• BYU fan
    Feb. 1, 2010 5:38 p.m.

One game is fine with me. Sometimes it can get very heated on the basketball floor.

• Over-sensitive people
    Feb. 1, 2010 5:25 p.m.

I haven't seen any comments blaming Jackson Emery on here so I don't know what you're talking about. People are just commenting on how easily he went down. It was a little humerous.

I'm sure these young men will look back and few years from now and Henderson will say "Man was I an idiot" and Emery will say "Man did I look like a sissy."

That's part of growing up.

• Come on!
    Feb. 1, 2010 5:19 p.m.

I don't condone the behavior of Henderson but there is no way that would cause someone to drop like a banana peel. Give me a break. My 4 year old wouldn't have even dropped from that.

• Moose on the Loose
    Feb. 1, 2010 5:10 p.m.

Should be more game suspended. Cheap and totally CLASSLESS!!!

Hopefully the MWC will make the suspentions more accurage and meaninful!!!!

Boise state shows much more class then the yewts!!!!

• LaMont
    Feb. 1, 2010 5:03 p.m.

The kid made a mistake...ease up on him fellow Cougar fans. The W was the biggest thing from game. Max Hall was forgiven by most Utah fans and his words seemed a bit more premeditated than the Utah player's "heat of the moment" swing. I love my Cougars but I have a healthy respect for Utah basketball and their past accomplishments. They aren't going to down like this every year.

• an excerpt from Las Vegas Sun
    Feb. 1, 2010 5:02 p.m.

For UNLV fans, a 73-69 loss Jan. 16 at home to Utah was pretty easy to forget. Sitting courtside, though, I stored the name Marshall Henderson away in my memory file for future reference.
    Why?
    Well, that night, the Utes' lanky 6-foot-2, 175-pound freshman guard looked like, well, an immature freshman.
    I'll give the kid credit, because he hit a bevy of 3-pointers, and each one was more difficult than the last. He finished the night 5-of-13 from the field – 5-of-9 from 3-point range – and scored 15 points in 38 minutes. He also had two rebounds, two steals, no assists and three turnovers.
    But what was more memorable were his antics.
    After each three he hit, his right hand was left up in the air for, oh, at least 10 seconds. His mouth never stopped. Then, as the Utes approached the scorers table after landing the upset to shake hands, he looked up into the stands, slammed his chest three times with his right fist and yelled 'That's what the ****'s up!'

• an embarassed fan
    Feb. 1, 2010 4:39 p.m.

to say he flopped is ridiculous, he didnt even have time to think through a flop, he didnt know the hit was coming. Planning to flop on the charge next time down the floor is one thing, but Jackson didnt even know the punch, backhand, slap whatever you want to call it, was coming. Do you really think he couldve played it that fast without warning ? cmon....I am not a troll, a Zoob, etc. I have been a Utah fan all my life, but with Boylen at the helm this program is headed down the wrong road. I hope the Mtn West imposes a more substantial penalty, five games would be more appropriate. I have been told Henderson has mental issues, boy it is becoming more evident more and more. You do know his own father (his high school coach) had to suspend for the rest of the season last year for undisclosed reasons, conveniently let back on the team prior to the state championship series. (google it). Ya know, Boylen wants punks on his team cause he thinks they are more aggressive, and he's got one with this kid, good job and good luck Coach....

• A Man's Perspective
    Feb. 1, 2010 4:28 p.m.

I've read numerous comments like "Max Hall was right". Probably a dozen of them. A dozen more on KSL.

You Cougar fans all begged for Ute fans to accept Hall's apology. Now, dozens of you are bringing it up again. Hall's comments were out of line and an embarrassment to BYU. Why do you guys want to embarrass BYU again? I didn't see Henderson punching any fans. Why bring up Hall's comments regarding the "whole" U of U organization? It is an unrelated issue. If you think Henderson was classless, fine. He was, and deserves his suspension. But you, in Max Hall fashion, are including all of Utah fans in Henderson's actions, and are making it difficult for Ute fans to accept Hall's apology, and forget it. I didn't see Ute fans hit BYU fans. I didn't see Henderson hit BYU fans.

Why the Max Hall comments, especially when you all (most of you anyway) condemned his comments?

I don't get it.

• who won again?
    Feb. 1, 2010 4:14 p.m.

82-69 I believe BYU WON... Who cares who flopped or not Utah flopped out of their with a bad loss. BYU flopped yet another win!!!

• most recent
    Feb. 1, 2010 4:10 p.m.

6 out of the last seven in basketball and 3 out of the last four!!!

• to 3:43 Re - Utes Holier Than..
    Feb. 1, 2010 4:10 p.m.

Utah didn't win the Mtn West last year. Sorry bud, BYU did. Utah won the conference tournament. BYU won the conference. Yes, there is a difference. So funny about football teams being similar too. So you congratulate BYU as having an equal team when utah wins a close one? Hilarious.

Again - hypocritical holier than thou self righteous UTES

• Max Hall
    Feb. 1, 2010 4:09 p.m.

Need I say anything more?

• andtheOSCAR goes to
    Feb. 1, 2010 4:07 p.m.

Jackson Emery!

Wow somebody call Hollywood give em that reel from the other night

kids got a future in Hollywood but lots of temptation for a Mormon

• Cougar fan
    Feb. 1, 2010 4:06 p.m.

For the LDS Ute fan: It seems clear that when one person accuses another of hypocrisy and a holier-than-thou attitude, it's actually the accuser who is acting holier than thou. Think about it.

• re: Re-Utes Holier Than Thou
    Feb. 1, 2010 4:00 p.m.

What do you mean? Now is all that counts unless it is a year when Utah wins a BCS bowl, Utah plays in the NCAA championship game or the memory of 1984!

• Sports boy
    Feb. 1, 2010 3:56 p.m.

Henderson is an idiot. He was out of control and couldn't take any of the trash from Emory and reacted in a imbecile way and Emory was smart enough to magnify the action and get the attention of the ref to get the call. Henderson=idiot Emery=smart. That's to make it simple for the Yewt fans. I can't wait to see Henderson try to drive down the center of the key the next time they play. I would think he could end up on his head in a clean attempt to block his shot. Might be interesting to see the next game. MAX WAS RIGHT!!!!!!

• Re-Utes Holier Than Thou
    Feb. 1, 2010 3:43 p.m.

Maybe you forget we are only one year removed from Utah beating Alabama in the Sugar Bowl, and Utah winning the Mtn West in basketball last year. One year better in basketball does not mean you are "clearly on top." The football teams were very similar this year. Nice try on that one though.

• re: Comparison
    Feb. 1, 2010 3:39 p.m.

Ute fans would have thrown garbage at innocent people because one of their players committed a flagrant foul and got ejected? Do you have any idea how foolish you sound? Really? Do you have any grip on reality at all or do you constantly live in this little dream world you create in your mind?

• BYU Fan from CA at the game
    Feb. 1, 2010 3:36 p.m.

It was an amazing game...but I actually quite liked Utah's coach. He is very animated during the game, but he still seems to be under control. I didn't know much about him but gained a lot of respect for him in the game.

• Re: Utes = Holier Than Thou
    Feb. 1, 2010 3:32 p.m.

You don't see the difference between hate and venom and trash talking? Here... "What did the Lobos do to you Cougs, you know if they repeat that they win the conference?" Or "Cougs, how did you ever lose to the WAC second place team?" Or "you better hope the Ute center misses all his layups again and Jimmer is as hot as a firecracker again or you are going down at the U." Or... "Utes, why didn't you decide to play before you fell behind 18?" Or "the ten foot wall was impressive on the layups... giving them up and missing them!" or... "Utes, how does it feel to go down in football AND basketball?"

• Comparison
    Feb. 1, 2010 3:29 p.m.

Lucky the game was played at the Marriot Center. Henderson walked out with minimal crowd reaction. If the game was at Utah, I suspect that after Henderson was ejected, the BYU team, fans, and cheerleaders would have been pelted with garbage by the Ute crowd.

• Y Fan
    Feb. 1, 2010 3:26 p.m.

Too bad that Henderson is overshadowing the game. Whether Emery flopped or not is not the issue, Henderson swung at someone's face. You could tell by the body language of the entire Ute team and staff that they were embarrassed and were quick to apologize. Very classy. Henderson is young and immature, so don't lump him with the rest of the team. I like the way Boylen has handled this. He's a good coach and will do well once Giacoletti's mess is gone.

• I'MAFAN
    Feb. 1, 2010 3:22 p.m.

Fredette said in an interview after the game that he and Tavita were just competing hard, that they are good friends off the court and loved to play against each other. It looks to me like when an opposing player gets knocked down, Fredette's the first guy there to help him up. I believe he's a great competitor, loves the game of basketball and respects his opponents. It's too bad more ball players aren't like him.

• re: TED
    Feb. 1, 2010 3:19 p.m.

Sounds like you are stating that you are proud of being classless. And "to LDS Ute" you say the hypocrisy goes both ways like you are proud of it! Most of you folks commenting on here are in grade school, right? Isn't that where we witness... "you started it..." "he did it too-ooo...." "I only did what Johnny did first..." Laughable!

• Utes = Holier Than Thou
    Feb. 1, 2010 3:13 p.m.

Univeristy of Utah now seems to be home of the self righteous hypocrites. They talk trash non stop when their teams are doing well(and yes Utes - you've had some amazing years in both basketball and football), but now that BYU is clearly on top, all of a sudden the Utes are all about "respect" and not talking trash. Seems kind of hypocritical to me. By the way - I'm an aggie

• Diablo Cougar
    Feb. 1, 2010 3:13 p.m.

Having watched the game in California, it was obvious that Henderson threw the ball at Tavernari hard (a fair play) and Henderson swung at Emery (the blow could have been glancing, was hard to tell, but was against the rules). I was afraid Jackson's eyes were hit. If Emery "flopped", thats another fair basketball play to draw fouls, so no harm there.

• re: Poote fans show their iQ
    Feb. 1, 2010 3:06 p.m.

And you sir, have shown your character. As identified by your fellow BYU fan. Let's see... Henderson is an 18 year old kid who instantaneously reacted out of emotion. You, however, and the other "older and more mature person" whose action you are saying doesn't compare to this had time to cool down and think about what your were going to say... in other words, we saw his true character and heart, not a momentary reaction. But you are right about one thing... an emotional, immediate response does not compare to pre-meditation. Now, do I think Max learned, repented and gave a sincere apology, I do, I give him the benefit of the doubt.

• David vs Goliath II
    Feb. 1, 2010 3:04 p.m.

If a 6'3 185 lb man can't take a little unintentional contact to the face then what business does he have playing a contact sport like basketball? He may have had his fist closed but it wasn't an aimed attack. Clearly Emery was in his face and we have no idea what he said to him but I'm sure it wasn't nice. It might have been a little immature but how many times have you seen a game where players get into shoving matches and don't even land a Technical foul. The guy flopped. For anyone who's ever taken a REAL punch to the face and not fallen over you know that this guy embellished his reaction.

• john from Glens Falls,NY
    Feb. 1, 2010 3:01 p.m.

I will start by saying that Ive watched Jimmer for several years and you could not want or ask for a better person than Jimmer. I am a BYU fan because of Jimmer, as he comes from my home town and high school, Glens Falls,NY. nOW AS FOR Jimmer's trash talking, I found that very funny and unusual, as I have watched him play for 7 years, and can't ever remember him getting envolved in that before. I,m not saying he has never trash talked before, I just don't recall ever seeing him do that. But as he stated after the game, the Utah player he was talking with and himself, are friends off the court, so I dismissed that as just what it was, court trash talking. Also to fans of other teams in the Mountain West league, while you don't have to root for Jimmer, enjoy him while you can. he is a special talent=
    Now I do believe Emery did a flop, but that is smart on his part.I guess as a outsider I never realized how much each side disliked each.

• re: Holier than thou
    Feb. 1, 2010 2:57 p.m.

As a non LDS member, follower of basketball, I get tired of the religion in sport comment boards. (only in Utah, I know) The BYU mormons vs. the U of U mormons might be interesting to some but to the rest of us it is just entertaining. Who is the most self-righteous? You both win that distinction. BYU for setting high standards and having to live it down when proving too human to live up to them. The U of U mormons for supposedly having the same standards, but standing with us belittlers mocking the mormons. And then claiming superiority. It is rather entertaining.

• JWunderli
    Feb. 1, 2010 2:42 p.m.

"@OOtahrules | 3:53 a.m. Feb. 1, | 7:57 a.m. Feb. 1, 2010
    Get hit in the mouth and see if you flop or hit the floor. Henderson is undisciplined and fixing it is a quality coache's task. Oh wait, Utah doesn't have a quality coach."

Are you kidding me? You obviously didn't see the play or the thousands of replays. Henderson barely touched him with a finger. Is his finger that powerful or is Jackson Emery (who I think is a good basketball player) that week that he has to FLOP to the floor. There is no way that what Henderson did would have sent anybody to the floor. He certainly wasn't right in doing what he did, but Jackson shouldn't have confronted Marshall when the play was over and done and there wasn't anything that occurred during the play that warranted Jackson's action.

• re: Bob
    Feb. 1, 2010 2:22 p.m.

You know that even if you put "hell" in quotes, you're still swearing, right? Honor Code, Bob. Honor Code.

• Trowe
    Feb. 1, 2010 2:09 p.m.

Hopefully Henderson learns from this. If you're going to take a swing, make it count. Max Hall might have painted with to broad a pen, but taking a cheap shot is rather classless.

• re: Bob | 1:38 p.m. Feb. 1, 2010
    Feb. 1, 2010 2:07 p.m.

Raw truth is "Max was right" UofU fans and "its" sports administration bosses are indeed--classless!
    ------

Uh, the U coach suspended him, and he never defended him. Henderson never denied he meant to do it. Make a mistake, admit it. Kid makes a mistake, there are consequences. I'd say those things were classy.

Kudos to the Utes on this one.

A Cougar Fan

• re: Poote fans show their iQ | 1
    Feb. 1, 2010 1:53 p.m.

I'm a Cougar fan, and you, child, have no class.

• Good Luck Marshall Henderson
    Feb. 1, 2010 1:48 p.m.

One game seems right. It wasn't a "Punch," it was in intended brush off that turned into an accidental backhand. It'll be a cheap lesson if he learns from it. (as opposed to Rasheed Wallace, who never learns).

Good Luck, Henderson

A BYU Fan.

• So I hear
    Feb. 1, 2010 1:45 p.m.

mh is hiring the phone guy (someone's son) as a body guard. Don't worry marshie we will just embarrass you on the floor1

• Go CSU
    Feb. 1, 2010 1:44 p.m.

beat them bad!

• 15 minutes of fame
    Feb. 1, 2010 1:43 p.m.

for Marshall... In a few years people will be saying WHO's henderson. Just a moment of imfamy!

• Bob
    Feb. 1, 2010 1:38 p.m.

Emery "flopped" darn rights, he could have used his black belt skills to retaliate, but he chose--wisely!

Just one game???

But you'll have it your way, come "hell" or high water!

• Henderson
    Feb. 1, 2010 1:36 p.m.

should only get back after one game if he wears pink shoes and changes his jersey to say Twit!

• RE: Boylen
    Feb. 1, 2010 1:31 p.m.

Guess what, no matter how smart and sensible your comment sounds. There is no way a coach can be responsible for or stop an emotional, instantaneous response by an 18 year old boy. Nice try though...

• RE: citizen16
    Feb. 1, 2010 1:27 p.m.

Read... there are very few, almost NO Ute fans defending Henderson's action. I certainly do not. Rather, they are saying he reacted to Emery (not excusing it or blaming Emery). That he acted like an emotional 18 year old and the suspension is appropriate. Some say they don't think it was intentional. Responding to hate filled and ridiculous comments by many Cougar fans. Saying it was not a hard blow and they "think" Emery sensationalized it (kind of beside the point though I think that is), etc, etc. Find a post, really, where Ute fans excused what he did... go on. I am not saying you won't find one but that is a far cry from what you stated the case to be. In fact, I think most of the comments are in response to "Max was right" garbage. Go on... waiting... quotes please...

• to LDS Ute | 10:07 a.m.
    Feb. 1, 2010 1:27 p.m.

Yeah and all you Poote fans don't consider Alex Smith and Scalley's past comments, where they use the word hate. Yep the same word you were all up in arms about Max using, so it looks like hypocrisy goes both ways don't it?

• TED
    Feb. 1, 2010 1:13 p.m.

I wish Hendersen would have done that to me. I will show you classless.

• AB
    Feb. 1, 2010 1:13 p.m.

Who was it that kicked Bogut in the back when he was already on the floor? How long was his suspension?

The MWC already said they wouldn't tack a longer suspension on to what Boylen already handed out; I guess zoobs are just more vindictive.

• Poote fans show their iQ
    Feb. 1, 2010 1:12 p.m.

I like how all you Pootes are comparing this to Max Hall, So when did Max Hall ever throw a punch in a game? If this scenario were reversed and a BYU player would have thrown a punch, ALL of you Pootes would be screaming for his head and talking about how they should know better cuz of the religious teachings at BYU, I have some other names for you Pootes, Classless, Losers AND Hypocrites. And to all you Pootes talking about Emery going after him, HUH? He was walking next to him, not coming at him with an ax or something, wow! nice imagination Poote fans.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 1, 2010 1:07 p.m.

The BYU player went down faster and reacted worse than a soccer player. He should consider a career in professional wrestling.

ANYONE REMEMBER WHEN ARUJO SWUNG AND PUNCHED PEOPLE? It was ok then right BYU fan?

• Boylen
    Feb. 1, 2010 12:59 p.m.

The coach sets the tone and his players follow. Cheap shots are only expected if the coach has no control of his players. First Luka Dorca trips Blake Griffen and now henderson bunches a Y player. Stay classy u, each comment by many fans only support Max Halls comments!!!

• JJ
    Feb. 1, 2010 12:52 p.m.

Wow, so many ute fans assuming BYU will be invited to the big dance! Thanks! Doubting your team won't even make it I see.

• citizen16
    Feb. 1, 2010 12:35 p.m.

I read the article and was fully prepared to make a comment here that a 1-game suspension seems about right for hitting someone in the face during a game. But, then to read all of these comments from UofU fans about how somehow it was Emery's fault or complaining about a flop or that even though the hit was unnecessary at least it was Emery who got hit.

Seriously, what is wrong with you people? I used to think it was that many UofU fans are classless, but now I'm pretty sure that many of them are clueless. Your player hit another player in the middle of a game on the court. What any BYU or UofU player has done on or off the court over the years doesn't really matter for this issue. Henderson punched/slapped someone. He should get suspended. Defending it or justifying it doesn't make any sense.

I still stand by my initial thought that a one-game suspension seems like an appropriate punishment. Can't wait for the rest of the season!

• Y Grad U Fan
    Feb. 1, 2010 12:35 p.m.

Should not have happened. Henderson deserves and will serve out the suspension. Not that big of an incident. Henderson should probably apologize to Emery but he did not hit the University (BYU) and all of its fans. No public apology needed.

• Sadie
    Feb. 1, 2010 12:27 p.m.

Boylen needs to suspend him for the rest of the season. If that was a BYU player, Ute fans would be asking for something stronger than a one game suspension. Utah fans are clueless on how servere Henderson actions were toward Emery.

• godog3
    Feb. 1, 2010 12:25 p.m.

Alright pardon my ignorance for not knowing what happened. I will admit I did not watch the game.

I want to share my first impression of the Boylen/Rose photo as it had me laughing hardcore. This photo somehow grabbed the light side of my brain's moon. I thought it was really good to see the rivalry (holy war) took a pleasant turn with Rose and Boylen congratulating each other after a hard fought game. Seriously, this photo had me thinking the two coaches were going to kiss before throwing punches.

I better get up to speed here. Did anybody speak of hate after this one. What will the BYU VS. UTAH rivalry become before 2012 or some kind of end of the world concept.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 1, 2010 12:24 p.m.

That BYU player has a glass chin.

• Bigger Issue
    Feb. 1, 2010 12:24 p.m.

I am not a Ute fan and don't really follow Boylen at all. I will ask this question: How can he expect his players to keep their cool when he so blatantly loses his? He was running onto the court flailing his arms around like a mad man. Then his freshman comes down and makes a mistake and hits Emery. Isn't this a direct reflection on the coach? They say teams tend to take on the personality of the coach and I would see this as a problem for the Utes. Then again, it was only a one game sample so maybe Boylen is normally quite calm.

• re: I like
    Feb. 1, 2010 12:23 p.m.

Desperate little bro. No matter how you hate it your little bro moniker will stick...cuz it's true.

And thanks for demeaning the real reason the cougs wore pink...er red for you color blind, desperate for attention ute fans.

• Sick
    Feb. 1, 2010 12:10 p.m.

I am sick of all the bantering that goes on between Ute and Cougar fans in these comments. You are all missing the point.
    The point is that if Boylen would teach them how the play basketball, the Ute players wouldn't get so frustrated. It is amazing how being competitive and winning, eliminates frustration.
    The real solution to the problem is; get rid of Boylen and get a real coach.

• cougarman
    Feb. 1, 2010 12:08 p.m.

THis is exactly what max was talking about!!!!

Stay classy cougars.

• I Like
    Feb. 1, 2010 12:03 p.m.

The Red BYU was wearing, trying to be like big brother..

• Sloppy J
    Feb. 1, 2010 12:02 p.m.

Class this, class that . . every program has its share of jerks, and even normally solid citizens get nuts once in awhile. One game for Marshall is right on. He didn't exactly pull a Kermit Washington. Yeah, Emery went down a bit easy, but he was surprised . . it's not like it was a premeditated flop.

I'm a Y grad and fan, and I didn't think it was a big deal. The overzealous will milk the whole thing from both sides, but it was a minor incident. Dumb but excusable backhand by Marshall, exaggerated flop by Emery. The end.

And the trash talk spices things up. I got no issues either way. But jawing when you're in the process of hanging 36 and an "L" on someone means a little more.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 1, 2010 11:49 a.m.

Where is the apology from Henderson? I think one game is enough of a suspension, but if Max Hall had to apologize for his stupid comments, why shouldn't Henderson have to apologize for hitting Emery?

• To all utes
    Feb. 1, 2010 11:48 a.m.

Scoreboard!!! End of story.

• to Mormon Guy | 11:04 a.m
    Feb. 1, 2010 11:48 a.m.

I have seen neither side ever claim God was on their side. I've HEARD of a few fringe fans who do, but I've never actually met one of them.

• RE: Not a Flop
    Feb. 1, 2010 11:48 a.m.

You started it... nah nah nah nah nah. Very profound! So... Jimmer's standard of conduct is Tavita? Hmm, I thought he and you claimed to have another, higher standard??? And... are you absolutely 100 percent sure that Tavita started it? Or are you stating that as fact because that is what you want to believe? I don't think anyone is putting the blame on Emery, I am not. I simply recognize the inappropriate, open hand, back swing was in response to Emery's touch. I also think the throwing of the ball was just like the previous (successful one) except that it was just after the whistle blew...you have witnessed kids many times trying to save a ball that was obviously not savable. And regarding the religion thing above... you know, if anyone ever, ever took responsibility on your side of the situation and didn't instead act like it is different or excused or justified because of your "code" maybe people wouldn't bring that point up. You think?

• re: Mormon Guy
    Feb. 1, 2010 11:48 a.m.

Utah fans marched around the Marriott Center carrying vulgar Max Hall signs and yelling obscenities at the BYU students waiting in line for the game HOURS BEFORE the game started.

So you can get over your "BYU fans just won't drop it" stuff.

GUARANTEED, Utah fans will be complaining about Max Hall YEARS after BYU's fans have dropped Henderson's sucker punch.

I fully expect hundreds of Utah fans will be going out of their way to prove that Max Hall was correct about them at next season's BYU-Utah football game.

• BYU Fan who also likes Utah
    Feb. 1, 2010 11:47 a.m.

From what I could tell, it wasn't a flop by Emery. Because it was completely unexpected, I could see how almost anyone would fall down from that kind of a hit. With that said, I don't think Henderson should get more than a one game suspension from this. It was in the heat of the moment, and wasn't really that bad of a hit. One game is enough.

• CougarAg
    Feb. 1, 2010 11:46 a.m.

Sounds like the players and coaches from both teams have moved past this unfortunate, but minor incident. Time for the fans to do the same.

It's amazing how some people (from both sides) draw such broad conclusions from the actions of one or two individuals, made in the heat of the moment.

• Kevin Davies
    Feb. 1, 2010 11:38 a.m.

I can't believe how some on this posting are immature... on both sides of this arguement...come on guys, it's a game! We don't need to spew the venum...of course there will be some intense games like that, but the players have gotten over it...why don't we grow up and get over it too? Calling coach Baylon foul names and each other...yikes...I am a cougar fan who appreciates the Utes for their competativeness. Go cougars.

• re: 10:48
    Feb. 1, 2010 11:37 a.m.

" re: LDS Ute | 10:48 a.m. Feb. 1, 2010
    Do you also have the YouTube video of Drca intentionally kicking the foot out from under Oklahoma's star player, from behind, on national television, while the ref's back was turned?"

Don't divert. This is about BYU fans bringing back Max Hall's comments and now saying that all Utah fans are classless. Given the logic, then BYU fans are classless too given the BYU player kicking the Utah's Bogut. Oklahoma and Utah have nothing to do with this. Utah and BYU are the subject.

If Utah fans are classless because of Henderson, then BYU fans are classless because of BYU's kick to Bogut.

Or, if you prefer, we won't judge BYU fans based on that isolated incident. The BYU player was wrong. Also, we won't judge Utah fans based on Henderson's behavior. I DO see plenty of U fans condemning Henderson's behavior and justifying his punishment.

Let's don't have a double standard.

• Appropriate
    Feb. 1, 2010 11:31 a.m.

Everything surrounding this incident was handled appropriately, by Boylen, the Utes and Cougars. Boylen acknowledged Henderson made a mistake, whether the swing struck Emery with force or not, and he's taken appropriate action. Emery did nothing wrong. All of you who can leave it at that, and recognize that Boyle wants Henderson to learn, need to get a life. This has nothing to do with Max Hall or anything he said. Those who keep bringing that up, or the "classless" stuff, are the only ones lacking class.

• Ute
    Feb. 1, 2010 11:30 a.m.

get over it 11:05 said

"Every time you get on the religion wagon you are critizing them also. Please stop the religion junk. "

You can't separate BYU from religion. That is like separating the sun from light. It doesn't work.

• Cheap Shot
    Feb. 1, 2010 11:25 a.m.

This was a Cheap Shot that should get more than one game. Max hall said it best Utah and their fans are classless.

• re: Re: To: LDS Ute
    Feb. 1, 2010 11:25 a.m.

Hilarious! Or maybe responsibility is spelled c-o-n-d-i-t-i-o-n-a-l! No, wait, s-i-t-u-a-t-i-o-n-a-l. Hehehe... hohoho... this won't lighten the mood will it?

• re: Score
    Feb. 1, 2010 11:20 a.m.

26-6 on what? Classless, trashy comments? I kind of think that is subjective and may be more like 24-8 BYU. They only have the U tripled. LOL

• What Utah coaches class?
    Feb. 1, 2010 11:19 a.m.

Are you talking about the class of going for an onside kick when you're winning by almost 50... True class!

• re: re: LDS Ute
    Feb. 1, 2010 11:18 a.m.

And BYU is not developing that propensity under Bronco? No, wait, that was one incident, not two. One offense does not a propensity make. Do you honestly believe that Henderson thought about whether the refs were watching? Silly... very silly...

• Not a Flop
    Feb. 1, 2010 11:17 a.m.

If you watch the hit from another angle (watch it on YouTube) you would realize that it was not a flop. From the Mountain's angle (right behind the player) you can't tell what kind of contact there was. Watch again as Emery tries to get up and is staggering from a punch (yes a closed fist makes it a punch) to the face.
    Other than that, everyone needs to just take a deep breath. As Boylen said, the kid made a mistake. Let's suspend him for a game and move on. It isn't like this kid committed pre-meditated murder.
    I also find it great that Ute Fans try to put the blame on Emery for getting hit in the face. What a coward that Emery, he gets hit in the face and falls over. I guarantee you that if put a closed fist backhand to your face you would be on the ground as well.
    As far as trash talking goes, Jace Tavita started it and Jimmer Fredette finished it. If you don't want our guy talking then you better tell your non-significant player to keep his mouth shut.

• RE: re: LDS Ute
    Feb. 1, 2010 11:15 a.m.

Yep, I do. And I admit and agree that both kicking incidents are wrong... can you? Evidently not... hence the hypocrisy comment made above. Whys is it that you must always change the subject and reflect the attention on someone else's behavior?

• Just as expected
    Feb. 1, 2010 11:11 a.m.

from the Utes. Why expect any follow through? Boylen gives him what he thinks the league might. I know, they have other players hurt so they can't afford to give him a proper suspension. Hopefully this kid can learn to control himself.

Thanks for the hitory lessons from past season Utes. Remember when you guys won BCS games, you used to be so awsome. That means you were one of the top 10 teams that year. Your basketball team used to be good as well. Great memories.

• LC
    Feb. 1, 2010 11:11 a.m.

It's a game. It gets heated. This is nothing like Max Hall's fiasco, because what he said was obviously pre-meditated and this was a frustration swing.

This kind of thing happens all the time, especially in rivalry games. I seem to remember Chris Miles kicking Andrew Bogut on the ground. Also, BYU's crown jewel Danny Ainge was notorious for this kind of thing. Don't turn this into a matter of class, please, it's embarrassing.

• Re: A hit?
    Feb. 1, 2010 11:10 a.m.

I am a Utah fan and I was at the game. I believe it was inadvertent but it DID connect! I also believe the fact that he swung his arm abruptly like that warranted an ejection and 1 game suspension! I also believe that (reply to about the flop) Emery would have turned in winced not only out of instinct but in pain... though I don't think he naturally hit the floor. Doesn't bother me though... the flop is no more a than a quick emotional response. He is and more experienced and mature than Henderson but not by a bunch. They are all kids really... who need to learn and learn from experience. Sometimes in life the best learned lessons are the ones from the biggest mistakes and hardest consequences!

• get over it
    Feb. 1, 2010 11:05 a.m.

byu beats utah in football and all we hear about is max hall. The u contigent at the bball game was still chanting that. Now we have the henderson thing. I an attempt to justify (i guess the loss) they have created a flop issue and are bringing back old stuff that happened years ago. Get me a break.

The old stuff happened and know what it will continue to do so. But please quit crying.

Also please the LDS stuff. David Foster and Jeremy Olson are LDS and are Utah players. Every time you get on the religion wagon you are critizing them also. Please stop the religion junk.

• Mormon Guy
    Feb. 1, 2010 11:04 a.m.

Henderson was wrong, and deserves his punishment.

But I am seeing more classlessness by BYU supporters than U of U supporters.

How many comments on here and on KSL saying Max Hall was right? Dozens and dozens. You all wanted Ute fans to accept Max's apology. Now you won't let it go yourselves and are bringing it back. You are once again including ALL U of U supporters based on the the "heat of the moment" mistake by a freshman ball player, who was clearly wrong and deserves punishment. Yet you bashed Ute fans for beating up on BYU fans for the "heat of the moment" bad comments of one Max Hall. Now you dish out the same to Ute fans.

Where is that honor code? Where is the honor, humility, and behavior one would expect from the "Lord's University"?

I support both teams. But I am sore disappointed in BYU fans' attitudes. Utes that don't admit Henderson was wrong are bad too. But they aren't claiming the Lord on their side.

• religion and sports
    Feb. 1, 2010 10:57 a.m.

YOu writer's should stop and see what you're writing. Once again people cross the line and become bigots towards christianity.

Coach Boylen is a stud. He did the right thing even though he could have waited to see what the conference officials had to say. Even if your a cougar fan, you have to respect the class shown by Utah's coaches in both basketball and football.

• Re: To: LDS Ute | 10:29
    Feb. 1, 2010 10:57 a.m.

Oh, I see... I went back and read it. You are circumventing the fact of the BYU player kicking someone by attempting to put the focus on spelling! Let's see... how do you spell "responsibility?" A-v-o-i-d.

• ute4
    Feb. 1, 2010 10:52 a.m.

to all you kewgs, emery must be majoring in theater because that was the biggest flop ive seen since Vlade Divac!

• re: LDS Ute
    Feb. 1, 2010 10:48 a.m.

Under Boylen, Utah seems to be developing a propensity for delivering cheap shots when they think the refs aren't watching.

• Score
    Feb. 1, 2010 10:48 a.m.

Deseret Dual

BYU 26
    Utah 6

This is turning into a blowout...

• A hit?
    Feb. 1, 2010 10:43 a.m.

According to Trib writers, it was inadvertent and didn't appear to connect.

• about the flop
    Feb. 1, 2010 10:43 a.m.

As a BYU fan, I think most would agree that Emery exagerrated the hit (falling to the floor). However, what would a natural reaction have been in that situation? I think most would agree that even a slight hit to your face (when it is not expected) would have made many people turn and wince out of instinct.

Reality is, Henderson deserved the ejection/suspension no matter what Emery's reaction was.

Funny thing is Utah fans are more concerned with a flop by Emery than the losing record of their bball team. Good luck finishing over .500

• boyy
    Feb. 1, 2010 10:33 a.m.

Henderson should have been suspended the number of games equivalent to the number of his pimples

• unbelievable
    Feb. 1, 2010 10:30 a.m.

The yewt fans' justification and/or down-playing of what Henderson did to Emery is so outrageous I wouldn't be surprised to see some of them start providing alibis for him asserting Henderson wasn't even in that game but was with them at a bar in another state. But that's how being a yewt fan can affect your brain.

82-69

• Amazing...
    Feb. 1, 2010 10:29 a.m.

how folks on here want to constantly compare themselves to other people. To a standard that emphasizes or de-emphasizes others behavior. I thought we were supposed to hold ourselves to a different standard, an non-human one, regardless of what other do!

• Classless!
    Feb. 1, 2010 10:28 a.m.

Too bad Henderson didn't have some beer to throw or some X rated words to hurl instead of his fist! Then there would not be a problem, right Utees?

• wallofvoodoo
    Feb. 1, 2010 10:26 a.m.

What he did was wrong & stupid, no need to crucify him for it. Why the Utes can't get their basketball going this year is beyond me. Good luck in the NCAA this year Cougs. GO UTES!!!

• Re: to LDS Ute fan | 8:53 a.m
    Feb. 1, 2010 10:25 a.m.

What irony? That he grouped himself in with a lot of Pharisees?

• RE: The Natrix
    Feb. 1, 2010 10:23 a.m.

The Oregon running back threw a punch! Not flip his arm up to the side of his shoulder... do you have any common sense whatsoever?

• Slapstick
    Feb. 1, 2010 10:22 a.m.

Poor Jackson Emery. We are all hoping for a fast and full recovery. I remember when Cher slapped Nicolas Cage in Moonstruck. I was worried about Nicolas Cage's acting career being in jeopardy. Maybe there is an Oscar in Jackson's future???

• Allan
    Feb. 1, 2010 10:20 a.m.

It seems like a more appropriate penalty for Henerson would to be to sit out the game at Utah when BYU plays there. You sort of have to wonder why a foul was not called for throwing the ball in the face of JT.

• Re: re;Sandyclaws
    Feb. 1, 2010 10:20 a.m.

You talk about double standards? Read the testimony of LDS Uta Fan above!

• Re: Beaker
    Feb. 1, 2010 10:18 a.m.

Yep, Max had a point... an invalid one. It showed all of the class and maturity of an emotional 18 year old freshman. Too bad he is a "mature" married 20-something "leader" and "example" of a belief system!

• Not that big of a deal, but...
    Feb. 1, 2010 10:17 a.m.

if Drca got a 2 game suspension for tripping, shouldn't Henderson get at least as much for striking someone in the face, flop or no flop???

• re: One Game | 7:37 a.m.
    Feb. 1, 2010 10:13 a.m.

Answer: Because they are good friends...but all you see is blue vs red and nothing above that.

• Re: Sandyclaws
    Feb. 1, 2010 10:12 a.m.

No, I bet in his mind it is classless in both accounts and on both sides. But needs to point it out (on Fredette's side) because only those on one side act like they are better than thou and never do anything wrong!

• Re: SCUDbuster
    Feb. 1, 2010 10:10 a.m.

I think your mother made a good point that your actions will influence people more than your words. But my father, who holds much more clout than your mother, says... "But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart, and they defile the man." I think he said elsewhere that what comes out of the mouth is a result of the heart within. I hope you'll understand that I am going with what my father said on this one...

• LDS Ute
    Feb. 1, 2010 10:07 a.m.

LDS Ute Fan says: "What I can't stand is they hypocrasy of BYU fans. These are mostly the judgemental, more righteous than thou people that give Utah mormons a bad name."

I agree completely. I have a YouTube video where a BYU player kicks Utah's Bogut. BYU fans won't consider that classless.

Henderson was wrong in his actions. He deserves the suspension.

• Hey Utes
    Feb. 1, 2010 9:59 a.m.

How does it feel to have maybe the fourth best ball team in the state? Wait, make that fifth - BYU women's team is looking strong

• Slapstick
    Feb. 1, 2010 9:58 a.m.

Maybe 3 years from now the freshman will display as much class as Max Hall does???

• to LDS Ute fan | 8:53 a.m
    Feb. 1, 2010 9:57 a.m.

Do you not see the irony in your post? Are you that oblivious?

• tigerblue
    Feb. 1, 2010 9:44 a.m.

Wasn't that big of deal. One game suspension is right on on. Nothing more needs to be done. It will be fun for the fans when Henderson comes to the Marriot center for the next three years though. This rivarly just keeps on giving every year. These kind of incidents gotta be reporters dreams.

• Big Flopper
    Feb. 1, 2010 9:39 a.m.

That was a huge flop. Henderson barely grazed Emery's face with an opened hand. If it wasn't a flop, Emery needs to continue to wear his pink uniform to show his true colors.

• First, there is no excuse....
    Feb. 1, 2010 9:38 a.m.

for hitting an opponent like Henderson did on Saturday.

But tell me, Cougar fans, when did calling someone else "classless" become classy?

• The Natrix
    Feb. 1, 2010 9:37 a.m.

One Game? Didn't that running back from Oregon get the entire season? This kid acted like a punk and I think he should have gotten much more than he did.

• Weak....
    Feb. 1, 2010 9:35 a.m.

Just saw the video and what a flop. Henderson barely touched him-utah and byu fans get so worked up about the stupidest things. it's a physical game so get over it, no wonder other conferences think we are weak. they would laugh this off...

• What a flop!
    Feb. 1, 2010 9:24 a.m.

Are you kidding me? Flat on your back from a back hand of fingers? You shouldn't be touching another player anyways.

Stupid move by Henderson, but Emery flopping to the floor just made things worse.

Another case of a foul mouthed byu player getting shut up. Not on the court unfortunately. Jimmer was just too good.

• Boylen > Bronco Mendenhall
    Feb. 1, 2010 9:19 a.m.

Boylen's character trumps that of Bronco Mendenhall. Maybe Bronco's precise execution with a commitment to excellence was not upheld.

• Cougarf@n
    Feb. 1, 2010 9:15 a.m.

I think a 1-2 game suspension is probably about right given the circumstances. Although, I'm not sure why all these yewt apologists keep trying to put some blame on Emery for flopping or even walking toward's Henderson in the first place.

Henderson was clearly out of control when he threw the ball at JT's face in frustration after the whistle had already blown and Emery has every right to approach Henderson and tell him to look at the scoreboard and chill out. As for the flop, how is that a problem? It seems just taking a punch to the face and falling over is a much better response than retaliating in front of Utah's bench. It could have gotten really ugly had Emery fought back. It's almost like yewts want Emery to apologize for not being as stupid as Henderson.

Emery and JT and the other BYU players showed restraint by backing off rather than escalating the situation any further. Henderson got his punishment and will also now have to put up with players and fans that know they can get into his head for the rest of his career.

• YBAYEWT
    Feb. 1, 2010 9:10 a.m.

Three words: Max was right

• LaVar the Utah Cat
    Feb. 1, 2010 9:10 a.m.

Bad move by Henderson; appropriate punishment by referees, coach. Emery deserved it. Event over - move on.

• Speak for yourself
    Feb. 1, 2010 9:08 a.m.

8:53,

And your post wasn't judgmental at all.

• Boylen dodged the bullet
    Feb. 1, 2010 9:05 a.m.

Henderson was out of control, but Boylen should have been suspended 5 minutes earlier. Other than the Idaho State coach last year, I've never seen anyone so out-of-control on the court. Boylen was crouched out nearly at mid-court during regulation screaming like a banshee. The officials seemed oblivious, but the crowd certainly noticed. At a minimum, he should have drawn a technical and a warning. If one of Boylen's players was out of control, the reason was pretty obvious.

• Beaker
    Feb. 1, 2010 9:01 a.m.

Looks like Max Hall had a point.

• wait
    Feb. 1, 2010 8:56 a.m.

Anytime you swing even if there isn't connection, it is still un called for, and unfortunately the kid would've been suspsend and ejected either way, so I don't know why everyone is complaing, it was a bone headed play by a young bone headed player.

• Hilarious
    Feb. 1, 2010 8:54 a.m.

Just makes me laugh. Of course the punch didn't hurt, it came from a Ute. But I bet the suspension hurts. haha

• Geeze
    Feb. 1, 2010 8:54 a.m.

Utah fans can't decide whether they hate the cougars or their coach worse. I personally like Boylen and believe he did the right thing. The kid deserved a suspension, but certainly not for more than one game. If Emery did flop, it was probably a good thing, or he could have been hurt worse.
    As for Fredette talking, Tavita was doing plenty of it all game long. As were the Utes and their fans about their 10-foot wall. How many layups did BYU get, anyway.

• Re: Re: Flop
    Feb. 1, 2010 8:53 a.m.

Ha, yeah, thanks for reminding us of that classic flop. That was Kruger, right? Hall makes an NFL DE, hit the turf that hard.

• LDS Ute fan
    Feb. 1, 2010 8:53 a.m.

There is no excuse for what Henderson did. Everybody's opinion is different. Mine is, that I don't think that it was much of a swing, I think Emery (it shouldn't have happened but since it did, I'm glad it happened to him.) flopped, and Henderson should have been kicked out and the 1 game suspension is a just penalty.

• re;Sandyclaws
    Feb. 1, 2010 8:47 a.m.

The Ute fans want to give this guy a break, as Boylen said "lets move on, it was just heated emotion." The usual Ute double standard as shown by their childish rants against Max Hall. They never will "move on"!

• RE: Flop | 7:42 a.m.
    Feb. 1, 2010 8:37 a.m.

It was a flop. Not as good as the flop the DE for the Utes took when he got in Max Hall's face after an INT, but still a flop.

• Slap happy
    Feb. 1, 2010 8:30 a.m.

A light back-handed slap and the BYU player hits the floor. Why not stand there and turn the other cheek? What has this boy been taught at BYU?

I'd gladly pay you a dollar tomorrow for a hamburger today, says Wimpy!

• Toughen Up!
    Feb. 1, 2010 8:29 a.m.

Look at the replay and it doesn't even look like a hit. The 6'0" 165 pound Henderson shoves him with the back of his left hand and Emery goes flying to the floor and starts wincing in pain.

Part of why BYU has been eliminated year after year in the NCAA tournament is lack of toughness. They need to toughen up or they'll get run off the court again if they play an athletic team in the first round.

• Ute fan
    Feb. 1, 2010 8:24 a.m.

As a long time Utah Basketball fan I am very embarresed by the actions of Marshall. I believe Coach Boylen should suspend him for the remainder of the year. It's a privlege to play basketball at any division 1 school and the players should treat it as such.

I was hoping Coach Boylen was the guy, but he is not. Our help defense is terrible and offense even worse.

• Go Utes
    Feb. 1, 2010 8:20 a.m.

Can't wait for rematch at the Huntsman - Utes win easily. CAN"T WAIT!!!

• To BoB
    Feb. 1, 2010 8:20 a.m.

See you after the first round

• Sandyclaws
    Feb. 1, 2010 8:19 a.m.

re: re: One Game

I believe that Tavita was the one who was guarding Fredette (or trying to) for most of the game. There was plenty of trash talking going both ways, but I guess in your mind it's only classless when it's a Cougar doing it.

What, you can only trash talk to players "of consequence?" The Utes don't have any.

• Read the Story
    Feb. 1, 2010 8:19 a.m.

Emery went after Henderson after he fouled him by taking offense to Henderson trying to throw the ball off of JT.

I don't excuse Henderson for what he did but to say that he deserves more is a joke. Emery went after him then flopped. You tell me which is classless?

• Anonymous
    Feb. 1, 2010 8:18 a.m.

Even if byu has a one and done again, it will sure beat trying to end the season .500

• utefan00
    Feb. 1, 2010 8:17 a.m.

Onegame, that would be possible if we had a player of consequence! Fire Boylen!

• Great Joke
    Feb. 1, 2010 8:15 a.m.

"Stay Classy Utes"

Way to show your team's true form Saturday Henderson. Yes, Emery flopped a little, but slapping someone should still receive a harsher punishment than this. Hypocrite Utes wanted Max suspended for a game, bowl game non the less. Now this guy tries to slap someone and many dont think he should be suspended?

Hey utes - at least you have women's gymnastics doing well

• My Thoughts
    Feb. 1, 2010 8:14 a.m.

I love the way issues like this can be manipulated any which way. The bottom line is fans and players from both universities have proven themselves to be classless at times. Justifying Henderson taking a swing at Emery by saying that Jimmer was trash talking Jace Tavita is simply priceless. Come on classless fans, keep the comments coming. I need some entertainment!

• utefan
    Feb. 1, 2010 8:10 a.m.

onegame, we have no players of consequence. The utes stink and it is Boylens fault. Fire Boylen!

• Bob
    Feb. 1, 2010 7:59 a.m.

See you in the tourney... Oh wait you won't be there.

• @OOtahrules | 3:53 a.m. Feb. 1,
    Feb. 1, 2010 7:57 a.m.

• Flip Flop
    Feb. 1, 2010 7:48 a.m.

That flop was worse than just about every politician that has expressed an opinion openly, but it goes to say that if he can put on that good of a show on the court, he is probably even classier off the court... Honor Code....

• re: OOtahrules
    Feb. 1, 2010 7:47 a.m.

Sounds good. You'll lose there too.
    Have you forgot how awful your basketball team is and how good BYU is?

This should be fun...

• Flop
    Feb. 1, 2010 7:42 a.m.

Talk about a soccer flop!!! I am surprised he could get up after that flop!

• Troutman
    Feb. 1, 2010 7:39 a.m.

Don't youse blokes think that it is ironic that this remark came from Coach Boylen? He said, " He has got to control his emotions" Yeah right coach!
    When you control your emotions then maybe your players will. How many of you have seen Boylen just out of total , control? Yeah, me too! Course, Dave "I never swear" Rose always has his emmtions under total control right?

Players will DO when coaches will DO!!!

Oh, by the by Go AGGIES! IN STEW WE TRUST!

• re: One Game
    Feb. 1, 2010 7:37 a.m.

What was really classless was superstar Jimmer Fredette trash talking below average role player Jace Tavita after hitting a three late in the game.

Part of becoming a great player is just playing the game. And if you choose to go after someone, at least make it a player of consequence on the other team.

• SCUDbuster
    Feb. 1, 2010 7:30 a.m.

My mother always said that actions (Henderson) speak louder than words (Hall).

• Anonymous
    Feb. 1, 2010 7:24 a.m.

Why is it that we are raising such immature young people? What about that young lady who pulled the soccer player to the ground by the pony tail? What about Max Hall saying stupid things about the U. When are we going to raise children to be respectful no matter what. This is totally rediculous.

• Up and Down
    Feb. 1, 2010 7:19 a.m.

Basketball is a game that ilicits great emotion at times. If you don't believe me go and attend any church basketball game up and down the Wasatch Front. You will see plenty of "classless" behavior when there is literally nothing on the line. This 18 year old kid will serve his time and learn from his mistake.

• OOtahrules
    Feb. 1, 2010 3:53 a.m.

CAUSING Emery to hit the floor? You mean causing him to FLOP! See you at the Huntsman Center!

• Sandyclaws
    Feb. 1, 2010 1:21 a.m.

Let's give this young man a break. His action was one of frustration; the kind of emotional flare -up that young men sometimes exhibit at such times. As he matures he will learn better to control himself in such situations. No harm was done. He will serve a (deserved) suspension and I'm sure he will represent the University of Utah well in the future.

I would hate to be judged for life for a few of my actions when I was 18.

• ONE GAME!
    Feb. 1, 2010 1:06 a.m.

Should be more. Cheap and totally CLASSLESS!!!

• Sur-prise
    Feb. 1, 2010 1:06 a.m.

They knew it was coming.

Their only hope was that if they did it first, the MWC will respect it.

It's hard to overule a programs suggestions so it will probably stick, but with the hair pulling incident in soccer, and the commercials the MWC runs on sportsmanship, I think they just might give a few more games.