Block party: Sales of Utahn's handicrafts soar after a plug from 'Martha'

• Bode22
    May 23, 2008 10:35 a.m.

Congratulations Ashley! :) I think it's wonderful!

• ac
    May 20, 2008 1:12 a.m.

These blocks are amazing! I just came back to order more and am davastated she's not selling on etsy anymore due to the high demand, but I am not surprised at all. I found the link to this article searching around to try to find where I will be able to buy more and was astonished at the negative comments. They should be removed! Congratulations Hiccup!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jo
    May 12, 2008 12:48 p.m.

I bought a bank from Hiccup, and loved it so much I've been back three times, ordering baby gifts for friends. The blocks with the child's name printed on them are fantastic! I love how they look -- modern and handcrafted at the same time. (And the modge podge is totally safe for kids.)

• Jan
    May 10, 2008 12:06 a.m.

Well good for her but I guess I don't get it. I am not that crazy about them for baby or home decor. But if other people find them to their liking that's great.

• Brittny
    May 9, 2008 11:22 p.m.

I know what she's using and everything I've read about the products state that they are non-toxic and safe if "sucked" on. I even went as far as to call the number on the back of a bottle of Mod Podge I had in the cupboard, and they said that the product is completely safe. Any other comments to drag poor Ashley down?? I think she's doing a FABULOUS job and wish her great success. Way to go Mrs. Steele!

• Anonymous
    May 9, 2008 10:28 p.m.

Gratz Ashley,

It's good to see talent in action. I hope you earn millions (just don't forget to save some of it).

• Mer
    May 9, 2008 8:05 p.m.

I would just like to say thank you for making a product that isn't mass produced like every other baby decoration. I would love to have something handmade in my home with a personalized touch with style and creativity. I can't wait to order!

• They used to live by us
    May 9, 2008 7:13 p.m.

Not only that, the Steeles are really nice people. Congratulations to them on their successes! That was great fortune getting on Martha!

• WP Lyon
    May 9, 2008 3:29 p.m.

Not obvious to me they are not baby blocks. I guess I could put them on the dash of my truck or hang them from the rear view mirror for decorations... Can I get them in blue to go with my tax and spend Democratic outlook and fiscal policy? Though the guy in the White House has buried us in more debt than any recent Dem, but that strays far from these beautiful, non baby, baby blocks.

Congratulations are in order nevertheless!

• CA
    May 9, 2008 1:03 p.m.

Congratulations! What kind of dope would even think that she has made these for babies or toddlers to nibble on. Come on, give her a little credit. It's obvious these are for DECORATION Only.

I'm happy for anyone who can succeed doing something they love.

Good for you!

• RE: Anonymous
    May 9, 2008 11:14 a.m.

If it bugs you so much, just don't buy it! I for one think it's great that she has gotten the publicity and is making something she loves doing, a career. Good for her!

• K
    May 9, 2008 11:09 a.m.

You could NEVER BUY this kind of publicity for your business.

Good for her. I hope she makes a million dollars!

• Go Ashley
    May 9, 2008 10:50 a.m.

I guess you can always count on some people to put a negative spin on other people with a little success. But I say she is awesome to have taken a risk and have it pay off! SUPPORT LOCALS! GO ASHLEY!

• Anonymous
    May 9, 2008 9:35 a.m.

Oh boy. Even more cutesy things to clutter up your home and gather dust.

• yarn wyrkz
    May 9, 2008 9:20 a.m.

Yay for Etsy getting publicity! It is an awsome Arts and Crafts community where you can find virtually any hand made product. They also have a "shop local" link to find crafters right here in Utah.

• To WP Lyon
    May 9, 2008 8:34 a.m.

It's a handicraft, in other words a decoration, not a toy. Google Modge Podge if you want to know more about the sealer she's using.

• Duh WP Lyon
    May 9, 2008 7:47 a.m.

If you're letting your baby put in her mouth paper-covered wooden crafts/blocks as big as her head, you have bigger problems than what the sealer is made of.

• Handitraft?
    May 9, 2008 7:21 a.m.

What's a handitraft?

• Great Story
    May 9, 2008 6:45 a.m.

The hard work and vision Ashley has is paying off. Of course if your a democrat, you will want to tax her heavily for taking a risk and succeeding.

• WP Lyon
    May 9, 2008 6:14 a.m.

What sort of plastic sealer is used to hold the paper to the blocks? What about babies putting these things in their mouths? Hope it is safe and in FDA compliance for toddlers.