Former FLDS member is sharing her insights on the sect

• John
    June 10, 2008 1:47 p.m.

Sounds like some LDS people are upset because a Baptist (and a woman at that)is doing the work of God with the FLDS.

• C. Bonner
    May 14, 2008 11:51 p.m.

I read through most of the comments. I know Mary Mackert and have for several years. Several have condemned Mary, when you have only read a story from the blog or from the news. Then refer to her and Baptists as a cult and evil etc.
    Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black?
    Mary is a compassionate woman who loves the Lord and loves people.
    Some have suggested "How much money is she being paid for this?" Answer ... she is on NO ONES pay roll. A church may give her a love offering or gas money. But she survives on very little.

Interesting on how so many - in the name of Christ -condemn others while demanding compassion from the one they are be littling.

By the way, Baptists are NOT protestants and do not baptize for salvation. Faith alone - NO works.
    We do not NOT believe that Jesus & devil are borthers either, Hiram.

• Chris Plummer
    May 2, 2008 1:31 p.m.

I love reading blogs of Christians who disagree about Jesus. In fact if Jesus were here, I bet that is what he would do.

• Congrats to the Deseret News
    May 2, 2008 8:59 a.m.

Finally the Deseret News has reported something newsworthy that got the Mormans thinking. With all of the problems we have in this world, we should all be greatful for a loving Father. He lets the rain fall on the spiritual as well as the unspiritual.

I'm glad to be a Christian. The trials and tests that face me daily let me understand more clearly what faith is. This article explains how a non-Morman woman has excepted a calling and is reaching out to Mormans to share her story. She is doing nothing different than the thousands of young men and women around the world telling others about the LDS relligion.

My wife is an non-Morman. However, no matter where we move, her name always appears on the local ward role call. I wonder if Ms. Mackert's name appears on her old ward role call?

• Old Joe
    May 1, 2008 4:58 p.m.

I think somebody just has to say it, nevermind compassion or understanding, the FLDS are just plain dumb!!!

• Really?
    May 1, 2008 1:56 p.m.

The reasons Mormons gave up polygamy had nothing to do with the government? Read Wilford Woodruffs "manifesto". He never said that he was doing away with it. He said (in essence) that he saw the destruction of the people. He very much did so because of the government! There is no mention of the Lord telling him to do it!
    This is an incorrect teaching. The LDS church of the past almost met it's demise from it and now the FLDS are meeting their demise. Face the facts and then learn from them for the future. Polygamy is not "coming back" as some like to think. If you do, you will have the same unpleasant side effects.

• It depends on your definition
    May 1, 2008 1:39 p.m.

Of "Christian". If someone's definition is that of believing in the teachings and life of Christ then anybody that does is Christian. But, in the Christian world, there are many that believe that a person is not Christian if they don't hold to the main teachings of the traditional Christian church. In this respect, Mormons do not have some of those same teachings. Also, in the early church it was stated by Mormonism that Christians did not have a "true" religion...it was not desirable to be "Christian" in Mormonism (there may still be people that feel this way). So why should the main body of Christianity be happy that Mormons want to be "Christian" now? They used to condemn them...some of them still do.

• Karen Marie
    April 30, 2008 10:18 p.m.

If Mormonism had never existed, Utah, Idaho and Arizona would be unlikely to have many, if any, polygamists. True, the Main LDS (Latter Day Saints)Church today is opposed to polygamy so long as it is against Federal & State law. If the LDS had kept practicing polygamy, with the fed. gov't knowing it, Utah would not have been allowed to become a state. Some of the LDS men hope to practice polygamy in the next life. If the law would allow it, many would practice it here now.
    Mormonism (LDS) has 4 scriptures. It's their "Doctrine & Covenants" that taught polygamy was acceptable. Polygamists think the mainstream LDS Church has betrayed God's (alleged) Command to become polygamists. They believe that that command is still valid today & that all true believers are to marry polygamously. To stay single is taboo. It prevents them from getting to the highest of 3 kingdoms in the next life, or they get there they become servants to the others. Both the LDS & FLDS teach that.

• RE: Matt
    April 30, 2008 4:51 p.m.

There is a big difference between the FLDS living pologomy now and when the LDS church did it. When the LDS church did it it came from Jesus Christ and there was a reason for it. They never went around kicking all the young men out so that all the older men could have them. Not all LDS men had more than one wife. The reason why they did away with it had nothing to do with the government. It came from Jesus Christ. It just wasn't needed any more. If you want to find out the truth about the LDS church ask members and don't believe everything you read.

• Anonymous
    April 30, 2008 12:32 p.m.

return these children to their parents, who love them more then any living soul on earth.

• Brady
    April 30, 2008 10:09 a.m.

To Anonymous | 10:56 p.m.,

Let's start on some common ground. The Mormons are very fond of C.S. Lewis. Go ahead and take a look at his "Mere Christianity." The entire book is based on C.S. Lewis' belief in the Trinitarian Doctrine, so you need to read it with that in mind. But pay particular attention to "Book IV: Beyond Personality," and specifically Chapter 2 in Book IV: The Three-Personal God. C.S. Lewis makes the Trinitarian doctrine understandable.

In the interim, perhaps you can help make sense of the fact that the LDS "Holy Ghost" is a "Great Spirit without body, parts or passions, who sits on the top of a topless throne, 'beyond the bounds of time and space', whose center is everywhere and circumference nowhere; who fills immensity with His presence and yet is so small He can dwell in your heart." Can you please tell me why, if God, the Father, is who we pray to, why do we need a separate god - Jesus, the Son, or the Holy Ghost god at all? And why did Joseph Smith pray TO JESUS (Jehovah) when he dedicated the Kirtland Temple?

You mock what you don't understand.

• true Christians?
    April 30, 2008 9:32 a.m.

"...So I would say that Mormons are the true Christians because we DO worship the true Jesus of the Bible. What does that make you?..."

The Bible that you quote also notes that Almighty God many, many times proclaims that He is the only God, and that he knows of none other. How does this square up with LDS belief in many Gods? Note that I said "belief" and not "worship". There is only one God, the God of Abraham, and He exists eternally in three personages. That's pretty easy to figure out from reading the scriptures. He was not once 'a man', and did not have to 'perfect himself' (see John 1:1). What say ye? "True Christians" are not polytheists.

• Anonymous
    April 29, 2008 10:56 p.m.

Chris, I would put my Mormon Jesus being more in line with the Bible than the man-made doctrine of trinity that you believe in. When Jesus was on the cross why did he say Father why has thou forsaken me? Why would he ask himself why he has forsaken himself? There are thousands of scriptures that prove that God and Jesus and the Holy Ghost are three distinct beings. When Jesus was being baptized God spoke from Heaven and said this is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased and the Holy Ghost descended as a dove. THREE distinct beings. So I would say that Mormons are the true Christians because we DO worship the true Jesus of the Bible. What does that make you?

• investigate
    April 29, 2008 10:12 p.m.

After DNA tests, and no apparent fathers step up, tests need to be done on many of the LDS men, from the Salt Lake City area, that often travel to Texas, to find the real fathers of these abused children to prosecute them. This might explain the silence of the church leaders,......hmmm.

• Chris
    April 29, 2008 9:48 p.m.

I think LDS members need to be honest with themselves. Regardless of your LDS or FLDS ties, both put stock in the Book of Mormon which has been proven to be unreliable, and for the most part, down right historically false. If you are an LDS member, or an FLDS member, you can't criticize someone's faith because your faith feeds people a bill of lies! You claim to be "Christian", but the Jesus you claim to know isn't the Jesus of the Bible! Stop claiming to be something you are not!

• To Comment
    April 29, 2008 1:45 p.m.

You're welcome to your belief, but it's yours and only yours. Most of the apologists on here appear to be FLDS or worse yet, ex-mo's.

None of what you write can be authenticated.

I'm concerned about this lady. She, for all practical views is sincere but she seems a bit not grounded in what all she is promising to do. No one can do this much, she needs help. Baptists are good people.

• To "Non Baptist" Texan
    April 29, 2008 8:59 a.m.

I am a person that has been very outspoken about these beliefs and I can tell you that it doesn't matter as much (or what Christian religion) helps these children...they just need help! Any Christian religion in the nation would help them to get these notions out of their head of women being second class citizens and of them needing to do the things they're told to "get to heaven". It's hurtful, ridiculous and not Democratic!

• FLDS Man
    April 29, 2008 8:49 a.m.

You have NO right. I am a women and have as many God given rights as you. Get into the 21st century or move away to a third world country. You are not welcome here.

• Hey FLDS man
    April 29, 2008 7:18 a.m.

You clearly are not FLDS, thanks for playing though. The fact is that the bigamy charge will NOT fly. The why is simple. The men were not legally married to any additional wives and were "spiritually married" only. How is that any different then what Hugh Heffner is doing with his three "girlfriends" except that the FLDS are without their own reality show.

And to the person that claimed they were Baptist and were not a cult because they could wear the color red. Get over yourself. I am agnostic and live in the Atlanta area. The baptist women in a class with me, hired people to go to the liquor store for them since their religion didn't permit it. They also damned me to hell complete with brimstone, with love of course, for not understanding the concept of Jesus. So spare me the "I am not a cult bit." You are, but don't recognize it from within.

• Re: Wally 6:15
    April 29, 2008 6:52 a.m.

I love that statement "God has the right to change his mind" That is absoulutely hilarious. You have reduced God to a mortal and Female at that.

• David
    April 29, 2008 4:19 a.m.

Please check out religioustolerance dot com to actually get the true facts on nearly all religions. I believe that God wants us to love one another as He loves us. NONE of us are perfect and we receive mercy in the same measure as we practice it towards others.

• Non-Baptist Texan
    April 29, 2008 12:58 a.m.

All I can say is, the sooner that these children are taken out of the hands of Baptists, the better. A Mormon is a Mormon is a Mormon to them. This is the Baptists' opportunity to "save" these children, not from abuse, but by converting them to their religion. These poor children.

• To Layola
    April 28, 2008 11:24 p.m.

Just like the branch devidians were the children of Jesus? things that make you go Hmmmm.

• Anonymous
    April 28, 2008 10:11 p.m.

Robby, you are a genius! Thanks!

• zoar
    April 28, 2008 10:06 p.m.

Mormons is a term that was used by the enemies of the Church to describe anyone that believed in Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. Applying the original definition, FLDS and LDS fall into that category. Both groups share the same core beliefs and use the same scriptures. The only glaring difference that separates them is polygamy.

IMO, if FLDS children were placed in LDS foster homes they would have more in common than other religions which do not believe in the restoration, Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. They would have an easier time making the transition from polygamy than they would with another religion trying to tell them their lifestyle was wrong.

• Robby
    April 28, 2008 10:05 p.m.

All these religions are messed up. Everyone claiming they are the "True" church and God is talking to them and everyone else is wrong!

Reminds me of a Robert Frost poem I took some liberties with:

SOMETHING there is that doesn't love Religion,
    That sends the frozen-mind-swell under it,
    And spills the temple boulders in the sun;
    And makes gaps even two facts can pass abreast.
    The work of preachers is another thing:
    I have come after them and made sensible repair
    Where they have left not one truth on another,
    But they would have the rabbit in their cage,
    To please the yelping dogmatists. The gaps I mean,
    No one has seen them made or heard them made,
    But at Spring Semester Logic Class we find them there.
    My neighbor only says, "Good religion makes good neighbors."
    Reason is the mischief in me, and I wonder
    If I could put a notion in his head:
    "Why do they make good neighbors? Isn't it
    Where there is no civilization and science? But here there is civilization and science.
    Something there is that doesn't love Religion,
    That wants it down!

• FLDS man
    April 28, 2008 10:03 p.m.

Yes, I agree with others on here, it is our God given right to have as many wives as we want. One just isn't enough for the celestial kingdom. Women are here to serve us.

• Jerry Holt
    April 28, 2008 9:47 p.m.

What must not be lost in this event is the fact that the FLDS are truthfully following the example of Joseph Smith, whom they consider to be their first Prophet, Seer, and Revelator. Joseph Smith started polygamy as early as 1833 when he married Fanny Alger, age 16. Joseph married one or two 14 year old girls; Helen Mar Kimball, age 14, May of 1843 and Nancy M. Manchester, [age 14?], [1842-1843]. In all Joseph Smith was married to at least 33 females, women and children. 33% were between the ages of 14-20. Many of his wives were still married to other men (polyandry). The FLDS are following Joseph Smith's teachings out of Doctrine and Covenants 132 where he taught that in order to get to the upper level of heaven a man MUST have multiple wives. People need to face up to the fact that Joseph Smith was a false prophet. Please read Todd Compton's book; "In Sacred Loneliness The Plural Wives of Joseph Smith" where I found this information on Joseph Smith.

• Polygamy
    April 28, 2008 9:03 p.m.

Yes, polygamy is against the law and all that but what do the children have to do with it other than having had lost their mothers and homes? Who cares about the bickering amongst us regarding doctrine, differences and sects? Evil must be snearing with glee. If you truly love these aflicted people, then that means helping to reunite the children with their mothers, as Solomon did, and not try to usurp them. He knew that there can be no comparable love for a child to her/his mother's. There are now a lot of vultures (Mary is probaly well meaning, though...) now gathering to pick and snatch what is not theirs. What a heartbreaking mess!

• d&b
    April 28, 2008 8:47 p.m.

It seems as if most of you missed the real reason this lady wants to take in these children, she came out of the FLDS cult herself. If anyone knows how hard it is to adjust, she'd know.

As for "separation of church and state" and using Baptist buses, the phrase "separation of church and state" isn't even in the Constitution. The government is just not allowed to establish a religion as a "national religion" and force everyone to believe that way.

The Baptist faith is a cult too? Ha, I'm a Baptist. I have the right and freedom to choose what I believe, I can wear red, I get to choose who I marry, I can have a career, I can go to college and graduate school if I want to, I know all about other religions, I watch the news, I even *gasp* have internet and watch movies! I also am very aware of the right of others to choose what they believe as well, and I respect that. Learn a little about who you're insulting please, before making such blanket statements.

• belair1954
    April 28, 2008 8:46 p.m.

If I were you, I would investigate really through about the reason why we need to pay our tithes in order to enter our temples. My family were Baptist, evangelicals, etc. and all these people really STINK. Their pastors, or reverends all they do is have the best steak for dinner and the best car and house. Not to mention the adultery that exist among the pastors, reverends!! Your people need to start really investigating the truth about LDS. Not just the outside!! But, deep, very deep. I'm sick and tired of this FLDS and and the stupidity of the media and people around!!!

• Misguided
    April 28, 2008 8:44 p.m.

This lady wishes to replace the children's loving parents so that they can be "saved" in her new religion. Pleese! If she really loves the children, as she says, then she would understand that these children do indeed already have parents. I live in Canada and in the past, the government took children away from the natives and put them in "better", more civilized schools in order to integrate them into "our" society. Until this day, the country keeps apologizing for the cruelty it inflicted on this population, the breakups of families and the social, psychological and emotional consequences it had. If you wish to follow Christ, then do as He did. He never pushed, only gently guided. He was an example and He led the way. He did not take children from their families but let people old enough to make the decision to follow Him to do so. He commaded to honour and obey the parents given to us by Him. He did not command us to rip children from their loving, caring mothers. Arrogance and lack of awareness of our own lack is not Christian.

• Jules
    April 28, 2008 8:40 p.m.

I agree with Not Sheep. I believe the kids need have respect, because they are FLDS, that is their religion. They are separated because of sexual abuse.. I also think is horrific...but they need love, as much peace as is humanly possible... Who wants to come out of their world and have the rest of the world try to reform them?? They are probably so confused and frightened. I think the amount of girls pregnant and married is awful...but I wish the world would realize that they are human beings who have been taken from all they have ever known.

It is certainly not the time to force conversion to something else. We can pray for them...as a nation..and pray that soon and somehow...some resolution can come along. Obviously, someone felt it is right in Gods eyes to do what they were doing..so for them..they are being persecuted. But the kids do not need to become something else right now. They just need love and support.

How would you feel, if you were the 14 year old mother..realizing that she was a "victim" in someone elses eyes, and didnt know it. Compassion, humanity.. these are children.

• Irene C.
    April 28, 2008 8:07 p.m.

As an LDS woman with an ex-husband who converted to FDLS I know that comparing LDS and FLDS is like comparing night and day. The FLDS tried to convert me. Also, I have lived in the "bible-belt" where my children were called names as they walked through their high school halls by some very good "Christians" because my children are LDS. I like and respect true and honest people of any persuasion, religous or not, and I enjoy having people of various religions around me. The fact that they may not like me or my religion does not bother me one bit. I have faith in the human soul. None of us have a real clue as to how God will ultimately judge us all and we should stop using the scriptures to judge and condemn each other. Give the FLDS children a good education, teach them good values and self-discipline, teach them to think on their own, and then trust them to make good choices for themselves when the time comes. Every human being should have that opportunity.

• Orlin
    April 28, 2008 7:06 p.m.

Well folks, Its a mans right to have more then one wife. We need to have more because of our manly needs. Woman just need to know this, and that they don't rate quite as high as man. Gods is a man and he is a polygamist too. He has worlds of wives. Women were made for the purpose to serve man and multiply his seed at his request. That's the way it is.

• Brett
    April 28, 2008 6:42 p.m.

Out of one cult...into another...

• Red Texan
    April 28, 2008 6:17 p.m.

Polygamy is a crime with many victims. Go Texas!!!!

• wallyworld
    April 28, 2008 6:15 p.m.

RE: Comment: You said that it was us, the LDS, who broke away not the FLDS, right?? because it was Joseph Smiths' doctrine...and we, the LDS, changed it. Well, guess what? IT was not Joseph Smith Doctrine, it was Gods Doctrine. He was the one who told Joseph that it was His will for the Saints to practice polygamy. Joseph Smith DID NOT just wake up one day and say "Hey dude, I think I'll have more than one wife, that would be cool!!." Give us a break.... And it was this same God who told Wilford Woodruff that it was time to stop with the polygamy.

I believe that God can change His mind ANYTIME He wants, or does He have to check with you and/or the rest of the Christian world.

• Hector 10:48
    April 28, 2008 5:51 p.m.

Hector schmector.
    What the heck are you talking about. Sometimes I can barely read these comments because they are so incoherant.

• Oh no!
    April 28, 2008 5:51 p.m.

To: all Matt's on this blog.....who cares?

• Matt in Tucson
    April 28, 2008 5:36 p.m.

To those who say that polygamy was not a reason for the raid, go look at the search warrant. It specifically mentions "Bigamy" as one of the two charges it was investigating.

• Men who have died
    April 28, 2008 5:31 p.m.

Polygamist will always say anything to have their way with woman. These guys come a dime a dozen. Only a fool would want more than one. Also, a woman would have to be a bigger fool to live that kind of life style. There will be plenty of men in heaven who didn't get a change to marry while alive who will get a chance to marry in the next. There are plenty of men to go around ladies.

So polygamist men quit placing yourselves so above all other men. No one in their right mind would want one of you fellows.

• G
    April 28, 2008 5:22 p.m.

"you are wrong by saying the flds community isn't doing anything wrong. POLAGAMY IS AGAINST THE LAW."

Polygamy was not the cause of the raid, child abuse allegations were.

And as many have pointed out, these polys aren't legally married to more than one women, they only claim to be. So it's not really against the law unless you count common law marriages. And if you do that, a lot of Texas' population is going to be joining FLDS in jail.

Finally, even if they do aggressively push polygamy prosecution, it's only a matter of time until the ACLU or similar organization turns this into the next gay marriage and the anti-polygamy laws are declared un-constitutional by SCOTUS.

That's because there's just something fundamentally silly about government taking action against polygamy when people can commit adultery without being punished, and when "swingers" regularly collect as many mates as they want.

In Arizona and Utah, polygamy itself is rarely prosecuted for these reasons, and those targeted are usually the worst scumbags prosecutors can find and who usually need to be behind bars for something else that perhaps cannot be so easily proven.

• Re:Me Oh My | 3:45 p.m. April 28
    April 28, 2008 5:21 p.m.

Once again, it seems many have missed the point of this situation. They were not raided because of their religion. They were raided because they forcibly married and raped underage girls. Since it was obvious that many girls have been abused IE: numerous pregnant 14 year olds, they were all taken from the community. If you abuse your dog, they take the dog away until you get your due process. Even if you had three dogs and only abused one, the still take them all away as to avoid further abuse. This case is exactly the same. And before you jump all over this post, I'm not trying to belittle these children by comparing them to dogs. It's just an analogy.

• re me oh my
    April 28, 2008 5:09 p.m.

you are wrong by saying the flds community isn't doing anything wrong. POLAGAMY IS AGAINST THE LAW. so lets quit turning a blind eye to it. It's rediculous that it could be illegal, but yet we try to ignore it. Give me a greak. Alll of the wives and husbands should be arrested for breaking the law. They may as well be selling drugs because both are illegal.

• Stumpy
    April 28, 2008 5:07 p.m.

I've always been taught that if you want to know what someone believes, ask them, not someone else. So, if you want to know about what Mormons or Catholics or any other religion believe ask them, not those of another faith.

A good place to go to find out what Mormons (not really the name of the Church but is only a nickname) you might check out Mormon.org and select the "basic beliefs" link (they believe in... God the Father, His son Jesus Christ as the Savior of all mankind, and in the Holy Ghost; in the bible, prophets, the golden rule, living a good Christlike life, families, and so on).

As to FLDS being Mormons, Gordon B. Hinkley the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also know as Mormons and as LDS) during a 1998 television interview with on Larry King Live said, "They [FLDS] have no connection with us whatsoever. They don't belong to the church. There are actually no Mormon Fundementalists."

Just because I claim to be a member of an organization, if I don't join with them, recognized by them, live by their rules, my claim is invalid.

• You answered all
    April 28, 2008 5:04 p.m.

the questions about your marriage policies except the ones that were asked. The LDS do believe that a man can have more than one wife after death. This came from the time that they had to stop practicing polygamy to become a state. The belief was never stricken (just the practice). They don't like to talk about it much.
    Also, to those that say that Mary is just trying to "convert" to her religion. Well, most Christians are like her and believe that we should not have more than one spouse (in heaven or otherwise). And, actually most Christians don't even believe in "marriage in heaven".

• LDS double standards
    April 28, 2008 4:52 p.m.

Those who are living polygamy are not living the LDS religion, or are they? I am pretty tired of the many double standards of Mormonism. I have known some who even go to the temple. Shushhhh!

• To: Moshen Baxtic
    April 28, 2008 4:43 p.m.

Your questions seem sincere. The best and most comprehensive way to answer your questions about our belief in marriage is to take you to a proclamation on the family issued by the Church:
    This answers many of your questions and states that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children. We also believe in being actively involved in family history work. This work is to identify their ancestors and enable them to bind their families together for eternity in holy temples. For more on this see

Lastly, please know that The Church of Jesus Christ teaches that we should love and not hate. Any that have shown hate are not living their religion.

• shadow
    April 28, 2008 4:40 p.m.

To me oh my: Unfortunately, it appears that the entire community was and is suspect. Thus the court has to take the children away and sort out the mess. If the mothers, and fathers, had come clean right away and said who was who, who belonged to who, etc., this court case would have moved on further down the street. DNA will give us some answers.

Since no one from the compound was voluntarily giving information that our society needs to determine if there has been ongoing crime, then the court has to move forward and pull in all the suspects.

Nothing unusual about Texas' actions. Only that they had more backbone than Utah's leadership.

Let the process move forward. Meanwhile, do not confuse "mercy" with "justice". They are different concepts and require different thinking.

The Shadow Knows.

• Doug S
    April 28, 2008 4:24 p.m.

Moshen: Yes, to all of your questions.

I'm uneasy at the LDS church's reaction to the FLDS, but to be honest--it has little choice. See, the FLDS basically believe when the LDS Church renounced polygamy, the church leadership commissioned a select band of men to keep "the principle" alive. The LDS church would mainstream itself and prosper, while the polygamists would continue to suffer persecution but maintain doctrinal purity--so that, at some future date, the groups would merge again.

The story is bunk, of course, But the upshot is, any friendly overtures the LDS church makes towards the FLDS will be interpreted by the FLDS as preparing the way for the merging--and will strengthen the FLDS in their delusion.

Better to just leave them alone.

• Me Oh My
    April 28, 2008 3:45 p.m.

The bottom line in all of this is; the state of Texas has blatantly stepped on these peoples constitutional rights. It doesn't matter if you were LDS or FLDS or Baptists or Whatever religion you are it was WRONG!!! Just because we don't agree with a persons religion doesn't mean a thing. If there is abuse, investigate it but don't take the entire community!! Give the children back to their parents NOW even if we don't agree with their religion.

• 2 "Make up your mind | 1:28"
    April 28, 2008 3:35 p.m.

1. What does whining about civil rights abuses have to do with the 2 churches being "related"? Do you have to support the heavy handed approach in Texas to not be accused of being an FLDS sympathiser? I support the freedom of all Americans (including the FLDS).

2. Not all Utahns or DMN posters are LDS.

Personally, when Texas has legal evidence of specific people commiting specific crimes I will support the prosecution of these individuals all the way. I just don't agree with those getting into the "Arrest all Males who are FLDS" mind set.

Encouraging governments to make arrests based on the simple criteria of 1-Sex[M/F] and 2-Religion sets a BAD presidence. Today many are OK with, "Arrest all Male FLDS", tommorrow general arrest warrants like this could include MY demographic.

I think the criteria should always be the same (even when dealing with the "evil FLDS")... If authorities have evidence you committed a crime they can arrest you, but NOT because you are the wrong religion, wrong sex, wrong ideology, indicating you MAY fit the profile. The government needs evidence of specific crimes, not just suspicions based on profiles (your religion/sex/race/etc) to arrest ANY citizen.

• Moshen Baxtic
    April 28, 2008 3:30 p.m.

Please educate me?
    Do the LDS mormons practice spiritual marriges for the death?
    Have any of them have more than one death wife?
    Can a LDS mormon have a living wife and be married to a death one?
    Do they practice poligamy in the death world?
    Why such as hate and rejection between LDS and FLDS?
    Do these Mormons (FLDS and LDS)follow the teachings of Jesus: "Do not do to others what you do not want to be done to you."

• Anthony Samuelson
    April 28, 2008 3:18 p.m.

Are not the teen-aged boys as much abused as the girls? With a select few men having multiple wives, a large proportion of boys have to be "let go" as you say in the United States (I am in England) and these boys - having been brainwashed from the time they were toddlers - can be in no fit state to cope with the outside world. I have read that any minor infraction can be used as a pretext for culling the boys and this must mean that they live in mortal fear their every waking hour.

One is inclined to say: Only in America! but bad things are done in the name of religion all over the world.

• Matt
    April 28, 2008 2:47 p.m.

I have a hard time understanding why members of the LDS church are so outwardly offended by the polygamy practiced by members of the FLDS church. In the LDS church, the direction to stop practicing polygamy was handed down in response to United States laws outlawing the practice. But the early leaders of the LDS church married young girls just like the current leaders of the FLDS church do now. And, as I understand it, polygamy is still an "eternal principle" that will be practiced again. I guess I am just wondering how one can believe that the FLDS members practice of polygamy is immoral while an LDS members practice is sanctifying?

• Your Bias is Showing
    April 28, 2008 2:26 p.m.

Re: Day Dream 1:52: You're obviously NOT one of those people who is capable of reading the posts with an open mind.

LDS bloggers have been very critical of the both the FLDS practices of forced marriages and child abuse and of Texas's denial of due process.

• Alex
    April 28, 2008 2:26 p.m.

Relax. I have thought that I would like to help out these people too. Everyone wants to help them the only way they know how and I suppose that means that everyone has a calling from the Lord to do it. This lady wants to help them out with her new found religion. I want to help them out with my religion (LDS). No problems there.

• Re: Comment
    April 28, 2008 1:59 p.m.

You obviously aren't LDS and you aren't FLDS, so what makes you think you're qualified to make any accurate comparison between the two?

What is obvious is your lack of understanding and hatred of the members of both religions.

• Re: Day Dream
    April 28, 2008 1:52 p.m.

Comment 12:34 is correct. Look at the history of why things are the way they are today.
    and To Re:Make up your mind. People that read these with an open mind can tell the bias of each post.

• Re: Comment | 12:34 p.m. April 2
    April 28, 2008 1:51 p.m.

Well said and I totally agree. In a way I have more respect for the FLDS people than the LDS. They are strong enough in their beliefs to not give way to popular opinion about polygamy as the LDS have. If it's the word of God, why did the LDS stray from it?

• Alfonso Smith
    April 28, 2008 1:50 p.m.

Truth is beyond structure.It comes only when you are in an unstructured state of conciousness.
    You can not manage and manufacture it; it comes when it comes.
    There is no path to truth. If you are searching for truth, all paths will lead you stray, because following a path means that you have already decided what truth is. You have decided the direction, the dimension, how to approach it, what dicipline to follow, what doctrine to adopt.
    Truth is not a discipline either, because truth is freedom. Truth is a bird on its wings, not a bird in a cage. The cage may be of gold with dimonds, but a cage is cage and it can not contain freedom.
    My sympaty to the FLDS mother and their children.
    God bless America.

• heres Johnnie
    April 28, 2008 1:49 p.m.

the only good Blogger is a muted blogger

• re: re: samhill | 10:54 a.m
    April 28, 2008 1:47 p.m.

Why does it matter that Baptist buses were used? It's a churchs duty (no matter the denomination) to provide humanitarian aid whenever they can. Had they(the Baptists) been asked to borrow the buses and said no, the FLSD/LDS would be running up and down the streets playing the persecution card calling Baptists "hateful bigots". It's a lose-lose situation for the Baptists. Would it be different if they were LDS buses? It doesn't matter what it said on the buses, there was a problem with children being raped and abused in the community and they all came together to help when needed. It appears that many just want to place blame on another religion. The Baptists in Texas weren't the one raping children.

• Re: Make up your mind
    April 28, 2008 1:44 p.m.

Stupid, bigotted, biased comment.

How could you possibly know the religion of every blogger and know that everyone who is either in favor of or opposed to taking the kids away belongs to a particular religious group?

• Day dreaming again
    April 28, 2008 1:35 p.m.

re: comment 12:34
    Only in your wildest dreams. LDS is a moral religion. FLDS is a colony of immoral men who have children slaves. There is no resemblance to Mormonism. You do not know what you are talking about. Ive seen you post before on here, but you are completely wrong, and some how you are very confused in your thinking.

• Make up your mind
    April 28, 2008 1:28 p.m.

I'm a little confused as to why so many people on here want it both ways. They don't want the FLDS and the LDS churches to be seen as related, and yet, people continuously get on and whine about religious persecution. I have a feeling that if this was some other religious group in no way related to the LDS church, everyone here would be all for taking the kids away. It seems as if those who are LDS want everyone else to take the same position their church has for years - just let them be and ignore any possible unlawful activity - which has led to years of abuse and neglect going unpunished.

• Good intent
    April 28, 2008 1:26 p.m.

I do not doubt Ms. Mackert's sincere and pure intents. Nor those of the churches and their members wanting to help her.

But I wonder how she or they would feel about someone saying that Baptist, Catholic, Jewish, or LDS children need to be freed from their "religious bondage" and taught the true gospel of Jesus Christ as someone else believes it to be?

I have no love for polygamy, nor the FLDS. I am deeply concerned about underage "marriages" or other abuse.

But it is also deeply concerning to me to see people so anxious to undermine the religious beliefs of others. Remove underage "marriages" and other abuse and welfare fraud and the FLDS have as much right to their beliefs and to pass those beliefs on to their children as do the members of any other (or no) church, political party, or other belief system.

• TheMadNuker
    April 28, 2008 1:26 p.m.

Define truth. Your truth, her truth? It is a very
    dangerous game stepping in for God. Whether you as an individual, or the state, the application is the
    same. Are you a god, that can see into the innermost
    soul of a person, or an entire people? May all that
    have posted here, please read about the life of
    Perpetua, "Roman History". I realize that you may
    have to confront some inner demons, but the true enlightenment will be well worth the time.
    Before anyone vents, just look up what the facts
    of history, tell us today.

• Not Sheep
    April 28, 2008 1:25 p.m.

Leave the kids alone!!! They've already been through enough.

It's cruel and unthinkably selfish, of Mary or anyone else, to think that these kids are nothing but sheep, ready to be herded into a new flock.

Show some true Christlike love and give the kids the freedom to make their own choices without having a new religion stuffed down their throats.

• Saeed Alfaisan
    April 28, 2008 1:07 p.m.

How can we contact this christian soul?
    (Mrs. Mackert)to send donations.

• Truth
    April 28, 2008 12:53 p.m.

I know this woman and believe me, she is not "making money" from her missionary efforts. She raises goats as her livelyhood and as you probably know that isn't exactly a get rich occupation. The money she raises from donations, goes to travel and lodging. It takes money to go and minister to these FLDS people. God bless her for willingness to follow God and present the truth to these people.

• No religion is good religion
    April 28, 2008 12:52 p.m.

I have been reading these blogs for a few month's and I am beginning to think most religions are extremely weird and completely insane(ESPECIALLY POLYGAMY CULTS). I do believe in God, but I in no way believe in all the craziness of most religions--most make no sense whatsoever. I have no interest in joining any of them. My life is pure, very moral and good just the way it is.

• RL
    April 28, 2008 12:50 p.m.

FLDS are NOT Mormons. The only way they'd be a "mormon" is if they were baptised as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I'm sick to death of supposedly well intended people mudding the waters with doing everything they can to lump us together. You can't have it both ways guys.

April 28, 2008 12:34 p.m.

The LDS and FLDS are very closely related, as shown here by all of the support and apoligists for the FLDS. FLDS practices the original doctrine handed down by Joseph Smith. So actually they did not break away, The LDS are the ones that broke away. And if LDS truly broke away they have said the word of Joseph Smith is not True.

• One Thing
    April 28, 2008 12:27 p.m.

KEEP YOUR RELIGIONS STRAIGHT!!!!! learn more about other people/religions and their beliefs.... and do NOT trust everything that wikipedia says about them!!!! I think you'll find that not all of the religious groups being bashed on this page are what you think they are..... while I don't agree with the FLDS religion, I also don't think that what they have done is constitutional, I just think that if everyone were a little bit more tolerant of each other's beliefs we would all be happier!!!!!

• why
    April 28, 2008 12:26 p.m.

How come my earlier comment wasn't posted? All I said was that this lady seems a little obsessed with religion and unbalanced. I don't think she should be taking kids.

• DeLaval Milker
    April 28, 2008 12:23 p.m.

I am an ardent supporter of the efforts to eliminate the flds and their compound prisons. But I think it's carpetbagging to suggest we simply need to parachute in and substitute another religion. These people have been denied their own destiny, and I think trying to sell them a new god before they have even figured out who they are is predatory.

• TheMadNuker
    April 28, 2008 12:10 p.m.

Part of the Texas Spin Machine. Have a former member
    support your agenda. I am sure there is no money
    changing hands, (wink wink, nod nod).

• RE: A, B, C
    April 28, 2008 11:51 a.m.

A: As Baptists, we believe that those who are not Christians are not saved; not "that those who are not Baptists are unsaved." We do not believe LDS or FLDS are Christian for many reasons, one of those reasons being the belief in more than one God. Almighty God tells us again and again that there is but one God, and He knows of none other beyond Himself.

B: As a Christian it is her duty to proclaim the good news of the Gospel to all.

C: We do indeed support missionaries in the field, just as the early churches supported Paul and the others spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We also support our pastors in the same endeavor, which is clearly in line with what Paul taught. Our preachers do indeed 'teach' on Sunday...that's what preaching is, afterall...teaching from the scripture. Our tithe, which is voluntary and not necessary in order to gain entrance to our buildings, is used to support the local congregation as well as any poor that may need help, and to support our missionaries and church-building worldwide.

• fifty50
    April 28, 2008 11:51 a.m.

Mary appears to be well-intentioned and perhaps CPS can find a way to channel her desire to help that does not include her spreading her new religious beliefs. I think the commentators above have made a good point that these children do not need to be indoctrinated with a new religion.

All citizens of the United States have a right to religious freedom. I have always had concern about parents indoctrinating their children into the parents' religion. I especially have concern when it comes to what I've seen with the FLDS. Beside the standard indoctrination, there are walls, a guarded gate and a manned guard tower. Children are told they will go to hell if they don't remain in the FLDS. They are told the outside world is bad and that they are specially chosen. They are told they must be in a polygamous relationship in order to reach a high level in heaven. Feelings are drilled out of the girls which renders them incapable of adult functioning. The girls are impregnated by FLDS men creating even more difficulty for those who would like to leave. This certainly isn't my idea of religious freedom.

• How long
    April 28, 2008 11:00 a.m.

How long can the State of Texas hold these kids and force them not to return to their faith or their families?

Don't they have to let them go and make their own decisions once they are 18? Or will Texas make special provisions to hold FLDS kids and control their lives indefinatly?

I know many of the kids will change and take a course we would call "More Normal", but I have to assume some of them are going to go looking for their parents when they turn 18, and gasp, maybe even their faith.

I also have to wonder how this episode in their lives will affect their future. I have to assume some will feel what they experienced while in captivity is just what their leaders warned them would happen if outsiders got them. I also have to assume that some of them will go back the life-style they came from, but even MORE convinced that they need to be even MORE of a closed society (to protect them from more treatment like their getting from Texas officials today).

• Rich
    April 28, 2008 10:56 a.m.

I, too, am convinced that Mackert is intentionally allowing confusion between LDS, who adamantly are opposed to polygamy and child abuse, and FLDS, who continue to practice polygamy and many of whom continue to defend male members who have married underage girls.

• re: re: samhill
    April 28, 2008 10:54 a.m.

No sir/ma'am, I don't think they should have involved the Baptist church in this matter at all(not even to use their buses). To use state funded school buses seems like the logical thing to do. Also to say that the term mormon should be able to be used interchangably is erroneous. They are distincly different, just as the LDS and Catholics or Baptists are different even though they have more of their beliefs in common than not.

• Hector Ahumada
    April 28, 2008 10:48 a.m.

These expressions deserve to be repeated, The FLDS women are:taught, honest, clean, and hardworking as a result of their fear-oriented belief.
    The believer is not a seeker that is why she/he believes.
    The believer want to be saved; she/he needs a savior. She/he is always in search of a messiah.
    They need some who can eat, chew and digest for them.
    Believe is way of repressing doubt; you doubt, therefore you need to believe.
    This group of believers (FLDS) is a renegade gift from The Church of Latter Days Saints to the USA.
    These FLDS women and children are suffering for their belief. And it is very possible that persecution and suffering are expected by them.
    Is in it interesting that similar types of persecutions were inflicted on the original LDS corporation?

• Kevin
    April 28, 2008 10:06 a.m.

To Lee:
    After reading many comments from many articles, I finally had to comment and say thank you to Lee. As a member of the LDS faith, I have always appreciated the love evangelicals have for our Saviour Jesus Christ. Thank you for finally recognizing my love and belief that without him exaltation would be impossible.

• She seems ok
    April 28, 2008 10:01 a.m.

Well another ok former FLDS. She seems to be ok. I would like to take 3,ooo people and see if there was any problems or abuse with them or their families. I'm sure I'd find a lot of problems but that doesn't give me the right to go and investigate every one. For the abused we should ivestigate but for the rest they should have freedom of thoughts and religon. The government should not raise our children, as parents that is our right in love. If abuse is there then there is the law but it is getting scary what they are calling abuse these days.

• re: samhill
    April 28, 2008 9:59 a.m.

Yes they used Baptist buses and facilities. They also used local High School buses and facilities. So by your rationale, it must mean that the local high school is also involved in this "scandal". If you want to see an un-holy alliance of church and state, visit Utah sometime.

• Re: Wilma
    April 28, 2008 9:56 a.m.

You obviously have only a superficial understanding of FLDS and LDS beliefs. That's understandable, to a Muslim or a Buddhist, all Christian religions probably seem alike.

• doodles
    April 28, 2008 9:50 a.m.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has one basic difference with other Christian religions. They believe that through the priesthood God will send them continuing revelation to guide them through the difficulties and problems they encounter, just as Gid sent revelation to the prophets of the Old and New Testament of guide them through the difficulties encountered at the time. The split off FLDS group maintains that they have received revelation to live in polygamous marriages. As there cannot be real revelation that is in opposition to itself, the Fundamentalist believers were excummunicated from the LDS Church as they no longer chose to follow the prophet. So, while it is true that the FLDS and the LDS Church started out the same, for the last 100 plus years the FLDS have chosen to live by the words and doctrine of different prophets.

They have many differences now, just as any apostate group has many differences with the original group. This would explain the numerous groups that have split off the Catholic Church, believing they have fundamentalist differences in their desires to proctice religion and no longer follow the doctrine or teachings of the Catholic Church.

• samhill
    April 28, 2008 9:41 a.m.

It seems very odd to me that there is so little mention of the very close association of religion (notable the Baptists) and state (the Texas CPS) in this matter.

Baptist buses and facilities. Now Baptist missionaries and congregations. All in very close collaboration with the Texas authorities in a massive and very controversial raid and state sanctioned kidnapping of hundreds of children.

Yet, hardly a whisper from the same people who normally raise the roof with their protestations when some church leader merely expresses an opinion about some politically charged topic.

There are some very strange and, to me, very unsettling aspects of this case with some terrifying implications. My hope is that the larger legal system will, eventually, sort this mess out. At which time I strongly suspect the now shadowy outlines what appears to me to be a very unholy alliance of church and state will be more fully revealed.

• kal
    April 28, 2008 9:37 a.m.

Interresting to read about this former member of the FLDS who doesn't appear to even know that there IS a difference between the FLDS and the LDS religion. The FLDS became a different religion when they broke off--which is their right. But for her to not clarify the difference. Why would the LDS support a breakoff when the FLDS clearily broke off because the didn't want to follow the beliefs of the LDS. The

• Not for me!
    April 28, 2008 9:32 a.m.

This story goes to shows just how emotionally messed up FLDS women are. They all seem to be zombies. They act out what sounds good to everyone, but have a hard time expressing true emotion. What a shame. I believe the FLDS cult is an extremely evil.

The more I see what goes on inside some of these wacky religions the more I desire to separate myself from all such sick religious insanity.

• Wilma
    April 28, 2008 9:21 a.m.

It is suprising how confused so many people are about their own religion, they try so hard to put a spin on their church to make it appear to be more like what they think it should be rather than accept it for what it really is: both the FLDS and the LDS are mormons, they are of the same genesis and like species and share more in common than differences. They should look for ways to agree and support one another.

• re:Lee
    April 28, 2008 9:20 a.m.

Lee I think you need to learn more about the LDS religion before you comment on their beliefs because you are so far off of the mark. We should quit worrying about what religion these kids will become and take care of the problem before us. Lets save them emotionally, mentally and physically before we start trying to save them spiritually. They have had enough of that for a while.

• Nothing about religion?
    April 28, 2008 9:20 a.m.

So, we still insist this has nothing to do with religion. Something to think about.

- How many of these kids have been back inside an FLDS church, recieved the sacrament or any of their religious services since being taken into State custody? How many of them do you think will EVER see the inside of an FLDS church again? I don't think the State would allow it, and if the kids want to go to that church and the state won't let them, that's restricting their religious freedom. I don't know how you can call it anything else.

We may agree that in our infinite wisdome we have decided it is for their own good, but we can't deny that we ARE restricting their religious freedom.

• G
    April 28, 2008 9:18 a.m.

"This is just "Godmakers" in traveling form. How is this any different? It is Baptist Bigotry in another guise."

I agree. Pardon my cynicism but we're talking about a religious group that is known for its opposition to the LDS church, to the point of some of them accosting missionaries in the street, sometimes even behavior that at times borders on stalking. I don't mean to whitewash their entire religion, and some Baptists here will probably wonder why we have singled them out. To them, I will simply say that being LDS in a Bible Belt state tends to give one a certain perspective on a *few* of their more "enthusiastic" congregations they may not be getting at Sunday services.

This FLDS thing is an excuse way for some of them to get together, show the "godmakers" movie and sit around slandering Latter-day Saints. That's why the LDS church is avoiding the entire issue like plague, and why so many LDS people seem to be so cynical about the motives of Texas authorities. It has a ring of familiarity for some of us.

• leave 'em be
    April 28, 2008 9:07 a.m.

Sounds like she just wants to "bring 'em to Jesus and save their souls". No consideration for their welfare, their needs, their families.
    We need to reunite these families, assuring they will abide by the law.
    This lady just wants to turn hundreds of kids into baptists. Then what?

• Matt in Tucson
    April 28, 2008 9:07 a.m.

Also, Baptists believe you must confess with the mouth, accept Jesus as your personal Savior, be baptized, and be born again. FLDS, as well as Catholics, LDS, and other Christians persecuted by Baptists all do this. So why are the baptists so negative about other religions when they are just as saved as Baptists?

• Paid Pastors
    April 28, 2008 9:05 a.m.

Read 1Cor 9:4,5,7,11 or read it in context paying ministers is Bibical,Read D&C 42:73"And the bishop,also,shall receive his support, or a just remuneration for all his sevices in the church."
    Modern day LDS Chaplains. Paul took money from churches.

• Lee
    April 28, 2008 8:29 a.m.

As an Evangelical, I can tell that this dear woman is definetly "blurring the line".I know many will disagree with me, but Scripture tells us that Mormons are"saved".Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ,and that God raised Him from the dead, and thou shall be saved.That's it! The other issues, such as Temples,full immersion Baptism,etc. are not Salvation related issues!We do not condemn people to Hell that disagree with us.There are people in my congregation that I don't agree with.But, I don't say to them, "Satan,get thee behind me." As far as LDS upset over being identified with FLDS, is simply the sameness of the name. For example, RLDS and LDS.RLDS is no longer thier official name in part because of the confusion.

• Layola
    April 28, 2008 8:29 a.m.

This lady was FLDS.

Clearly she considered herself a Mormon when she was in that cult.

FLDS, LDS, both religious children of Joseph Smith.

• Marie Devine
    April 28, 2008 8:28 a.m.

For the well meaning people who are concerned the children do not get to think for themselves, this is relatively new in our culture and look what has happened.
    Essentially it is like asking a four year old to babysit for a four year old, or a twelve year old to babysit for a twelve year old. They do not have experience to understand consequences; that is where the parent's understanding comes in and why the word of God must guide the parents. They are as blind as children unless they have been taught God's guidance and wisdom.

Self discipline is having guidance and then conforming to that guidance. I expect that anyone would be delighted to have those children who love God and have good control over themselves and honor their parents and authority.

Children of our culture are confused with too many choices to go into things dangerous and unfulfilling, looking for friendships to be fulfilled because their parents are off working for money to support our greedy covetous lifestyle. That is slavery by the name of employment. Create a self sustaining garden paradise and treasure and protect your children with God's word. Exceptions occur, fear not.

• Not Again
    April 28, 2008 8:25 a.m.

Mary is well-meaning, but terribly misguided.

These kids need love and someone to care for them.

NONE of the fostercare volunteers should be allowed to try to re-educate the kids, especially with regards to religion.

ANYONE -- Baptist, Catholic, LDS -- trying to gain custody of these kids for the express purpose of forcing their religious beliefs upon these kids should be banned from the fostercare program.

• A, B, C
    April 28, 2008 8:13 a.m.

A: So she wants to adopt some of the children and convert them to her new found religion - Baptist which teaches that all other religions are evil and not christian.

B: People are starting to line up on the band wagon to adopt these kids. Won't surprise me if most of them are from Utah. These kids are going through heck right now and she wants to add to it by trying to convert them to another religion.

C: the Baptist are big into missionary work and pay the support of missionaries in the field just like they pay the pastor to preach rather then teach them on Sunday.

• Return the Kids
    April 28, 2008 8:12 a.m.

The FLDS need to agree to stop breaking the law, then the FLDS kids should be returned to their mothers.

The FLDS need to agree to:

--stop abusing their kids
    --stop forced marriages, especially of underage girls
    --stop kicking boys out for trivial offenses
    --stop re-assigning families to different fathers
    --stop abusing the welfare system
    --start keeping proper records of births, marriages, etc.
    --open their society so that members are free to join or leave as they see fit
    --enroll their kids in public schools or create a private school monitored by the state so that their kids can receive a proper education

• Elisabeth
    April 28, 2008 8:05 a.m.

"Born and raised in Hildale, Utah, Mackert said she became the sixth of seven wives to a 50-year-old man when she was 17. "He was older than my father,"

Amazingly selfish and cruel men. This is just a travesty for all the women and children involved in this counter-culture. Brainwashed to believe that they will never find a decent spouse their own age that will be true to them. The suffering of the children has been brought upon them by these men who have abused their power and the grown women that condone the behavior.

• Wacked out
    April 28, 2008 7:29 a.m.

We need to trust people, but having proper information is necessary. this 'baptist' is full of hate and misinformation that she spews to the willing ears of bigots who not only hate mormons, but hate anything not clapping hands and donating money so the preacher can eat.

• Arrrgh!
    April 28, 2008 7:14 a.m.

These kids have had no choices in their lives. The last thing they need is to be taken in by a woman whose primary objective is to convert them to her new faith. They need to learn to think for themselves before being spoonfed another set of beliefs. How traumatizing would it be for a kid to be removed from his or her family and told "well now you worship this way"?

Besides, I think most of these kids will go back to their parents once family plans have been established and the parents have agreed to follow certain guidelines. Y'know, like "I promise not to let my daughter marry a contemporary of her grandfather and not to kick my son out of the house when he brings home a Backstreet Boys cd."

• Huh?
    April 28, 2008 6:56 a.m.

A woman moves from one cult to another and now wants to convert her old cult to the ways of her new cult. Big deal. The FLDS children don't need new religious teachings, they just need parents to follow the law. For the record, if gay marriage is fast becoming legal, I see no obstruction to a future of polygamous and polyandrous marriages. That should be an issue of state rights.

• doug
    April 28, 2008 6:12 a.m.

This Christian lady is a model for others. Good for her, thank you Jesus.

• J Lowe
    April 28, 2008 6:02 a.m.

These people, for the zillionth time, are not and were not ever "Mormons"!!

Why is it that so many supposedly educated people in the press still ask pointed questions referring to them as such???????

At least this one in this story referred back to that fact that she was a "Fundamentalist" when asked about how people converted to Mormonism.

Tired of this mess!!!!!

• James
    April 28, 2008 5:06 a.m.

The beliefs of this woman are just a wacky as the FLDS. These kids will be messed up if she takes them. Why is it so important to convert everybody to your way?

• Wilf
    April 28, 2008 4:25 a.m.

With all due respect for Mackert's efforts, if she does not make it absolutely clear to her audience what the difference is between LDS and FLDS, she is guilty of serious misinformation.

• Interloper
    April 28, 2008 3:58 a.m.

I must heartily disagree with Mary Mackert, though I am sure she means well. Another round of religious indoctrination would not benefit the FLDS children. The fundamentals of survival, privacy and opportunities to learn to think for themselves are the balms that would serve them best. I hope CPS and the courts will steer clear of sending the children into environments where they are seen as souls to be saved instead of individual human beings.

• Talisyn
    April 28, 2008 3:25 a.m.

You have got to be kidding....

• JD
    April 28, 2008 2:44 a.m.

I hate to be cynical, but it's hard to believe that Mackert wasn't intentionally blurring the line between LDS and FLDS. She could have corrected the false information, but she chose not to. While I am no FLDS supporter, if Ms. Mackert is willing to blur the truth in this way, it makes me question other aspects of her story/viewpoint as well.

April 28, 2008 2:31 a.m.

And she gets paid how much (plus transportation, meals, and lodging) for these "missionary" efforts?

• ayzel
    April 28, 2008 2:15 a.m.

I wonder how many women have actually escaped from this repressing lifestyle. We mainly see the two Jessop ladies, and it's so easy for people to dismiss what they're saying. I think it's great that more sect survivors are speaking up so that those of you who still side with the FLDS can hear the truth.