Sports

Utah Jazz: Homecourt tragic — Rockets stun Jazz as home teams are still winless

Comments

• Where is Memo..
    April 26, 2008 1:53 a.m.

I agree with you. The Jazz were tired, or whatever. They lost the playoff mentality. Seemed bored for the most part, except D Will. They lost the game long before the final seconds. Hope they loosen up and play hard tonight...and have some fun winning.

• RMW
    April 25, 2008 10:53 p.m.

This series is going at least six games now. It's funny how the Jazz were talking about winning 4 right away and then getting rest and healing time waiting for LA to finish. Now it'll be the opposite. LA will be done in five games, in my opinion, and the THEY will be resting and waiting for the Jazz to finish up. Just a few seconds of mis-play and a loss completely changes the outlook.

• Anonymous
    April 25, 2008 8:13 p.m.

I love these Rocket fans coming in running their mouths. Seriously Rockets Fans??? No stop, hold on....Seriously!?? Does anyone actually think you have a prayer at this series!? You won one lucky game, will get blown out tomorrow as everyone knows, and you'll lose AGAIN in Houston, just like the last 3 TIMES IN A ROW! OH WAIT....4!! LOL!
    Good luck Rockets. But please, please, keep talking. The fact that you have the confidence to start mouthing off is really quite amusing.
    Jazz by 25 tomorrow. Boozer goes for 30.

• Re: Utah wasn't "outplayed"
    April 25, 2008 5:53 p.m.

Just bc Utah is the better team, doesn't mean they weren't outplayed. Yes FTs killed them, but that's not the whole story. Houston was better in the paint. They also scored 18 off Jazz TOs (as compared to 8 Jazz points off Houston TOs). 16-13 Offensive rebound edge for Houston AND just 16 meager points for the Jazz in the 4th. Take away the quick 6 points off 3-pointers in the last minute and that's a 10 point, go to sleep 4th quarter. That's getting outplayed. Houston was the aggressor all night. The Jazz are the better team, but they were outplayed by the Rockets last night.

• Laughing
    April 25, 2008 5:46 p.m.

Ain't sports great? We act like it actually matters which group of overpaid players shows up and wins this series. Millionaires covered in tattoos and wearing shorts....my heroes.

• I Turned the Channel
    April 25, 2008 5:29 p.m.

The Jazz were great in Houston, but they played on their own floor like they had nothing to lose. I knew we were in trouble when everyone kept trumpeting the Jazz's obvious sweep of Houston. Whenever the Jazz are expected to win, and should win, they don't. Darin Williams was the only one who showed any interest in getting the job done. And what is it about free throws that's so tough???? I don't think they choked, I think they fell asleep.

• magnus
    April 25, 2008 5:22 p.m.

Rockets fans are funny.

I have to hand it to the Rockets though, if the Jazz played with as much heart and effort as the Rockets do they would be the best team in the league hands down, I wish the Jazz played more like the Rockets.

Unfortunately for Rockets fans they just don't have the horses to run with the Jazz in this series.

Jazz in 6

GO JAZZ!!!

• Utah wasn't "outplayed"
    April 25, 2008 5:07 p.m.

they shot themselves in the foot by missing 10+ freethrows. Houston played well down the stretch, but they aren't the better team, not by a long shot.

• Re: Houston Mike
    April 25, 2008 5:04 p.m.

I am curious what your definition of a choke artist is?

When is the last time Houston won a series? Didn't the Jazz beat Houston in a winner take all game 7 last year....on your home floor? "Yall" are the choke artists.

For the record....I am not worried at all. The Jazz are a much better team than the Rockets and will prove it yet again by sending Tracy "can't win a playoff series" McGrady home early again this year. Besides, it was too much fun winning the series on your home court last year, so thought we would do it again.

• DAVID STERN
    April 25, 2008 4:36 p.m.

Jazz, I know that you are just trying to win your first EVER championship but please stop with the awful acting. This is not the Hollywood only Kobe can do acting not you guys. So please, I beg that you guys actually play clean and grow some balls and stop flying around like little pansy girls. Goodnight.

• re: carful boozer
    April 25, 2008 4:31 p.m.

bravo

• KIRILENKO
    April 25, 2008 4:31 p.m.

I am so sorry my flop did not work towards the end of the game. I do not know what happened I guess I was not able to jump higher or scream like a little girl at the end. No worries Jazz Fans I will try to flop harder next game... I will jump to the stand when Scola bump me but please someone catch me because I like the way I fix my hair for the game.

• MEME OKUR
    April 25, 2008 4:29 p.m.

Sorry guys I just plucked and waxxed my eyebrow the day of game 3 and it was sore the whole game. I apologize for the no SHOW.

• free throws
    April 25, 2008 4:20 p.m.

Free Throws, that is all I have to say. Even if the jazz played like crap and each made one more free throw, they beat a good houston team who played one of their best games!

• Anonymous
    April 25, 2008 4:14 p.m.

Blame the refs? C'mon Jazz fans. Jazz were outplayed. As for the Houston fans, if you're gonna be trolls, please show up for the whole series, not just when your team does. This thing is over in 6, maybe still in 5.

• One More Item
    April 25, 2008 4:09 p.m.

Just where and when did this hand touching crap after each free throw begin? I played alot of basketball myself and I personnaly have never seen anything so ridiculous in my life. Same thing goes for plays made during a game, give me a break--celebrate, high five or whatever blows you skirt in the air after the game IF you win. These in game celebrations in all sports today drives me nuts. What does it accomplish?

• Anonymous
    April 25, 2008 4:00 p.m.

Free throws aside, no one showed to play besides Williams. In a way, I'm glad they didn't pull it off. They played absolutely awful. It'll be a good lesson for the next round (and yes, they will win this series in no more than 6 games) that you can't expect to win just by showing up. Jerry undoubtedly gave it to them. They'll win game 4 by 20 points. The solace is that Houston barely pulled out a win, despite the Jazz playing their second worst playoff game in the last two seasons (for worst, see game 5 against the Spurs last year). Jazz will still take care of business, just frustrating that they couldn't show killer instinct.

• Re: IDOL (From H-Town)
    April 25, 2008 3:59 p.m.

NBA players made our whole city look bad??? Huh??
    I didn't understand that? So, I'm guessing you mean if a certain all-star from Houston chokes every fist round, the whole city of Houston chokes with everything they do in their day to day lives??
    Maybe you can explain.

• Jazz still win
    April 25, 2008 3:49 p.m.

Jazz win next two games McGrady disappears, series comes to end.

• HtownLos
    April 25, 2008 3:49 p.m.

You people have the dirtiest team on the planet. Our talent will prevail and your cheating will assist in losing the series... I'm glad you're starting to realize the Rockets are the better team!!! Go ROX!!!!

• re anonymous
    April 25, 2008 3:38 p.m.

learn your geography and grammar. Utah is not a city but a state. In this country the United States their are 50 of them. Utah is one of the 50 and so is Texas, not Houston. Get a life. Good thing your not on the show "ARE YOU SMARTER THAN A 5th GRADER", because you aren't even close.

• I usually dont
    April 25, 2008 3:25 p.m.

blame losses on refs... and im sure not going to pin it on them for last nights loss. But why in the world does the NBA give us a ref such as Bob Delaney? A couple years ago the Jazz were up 98-97 with three seconds left against the Lakers, and Kobe threw up a wild show, knew he was going to miss, and flopped and acted like he had been fouled. Of coarse there wasnt a player within 3 feet of kobe but of coarse... Delaney makes the call because he is the worst ref in the NBA.. and the lakers go on to win. And then last night they give an And-1 to battier? Get rid of DELANEY!

• Anonymous
    April 25, 2008 3:23 p.m.

Houston fans are forgetting they went down 2-0 AT HOME! If this is one of those weird series, the Jazz will win in seven, with all four on the road.

• Hey Houston Mike
    April 25, 2008 3:20 p.m.

Which pie is this? Is there still some leftovers from the pie they serve in Houston at the end of every year? Jazz are up 2-1. This means you still have to beat us 3 times Rocket fans. And it means we only have to beat you two, just in case you didnt know. Oh yeah i'm also glad that McChoke goes 2-8 in the fourth quarter and ESPN worships him.

• Anonymous
    April 25, 2008 3:13 p.m.

UTAH JAZZ are never gonna win a SINGLE CHAMPIONSHIP.... SORRY GUYS.
    O yea.... Remind ya'lls one eyebrowed team that they live in the COLD and DREARY city of UTAH not Los Angeles. SO STOP WITH THE HORRIBLE ACTING I MEAN FLOPS!!! LOL!

• Rockets 4 life
    April 25, 2008 3:12 p.m.

ROCKETS IN 7!!!!!!

• AZTexas
    April 25, 2008 3:09 p.m.

I must commend the Rockets free throw defense!

• Careful Boozer
    April 25, 2008 3:04 p.m.

Be careful Boozer, you might break a nail if you defend or dunk. I can't believe what a sissy you have turned out to be. When are you going to man up? When are you going to take the ball to the hole? You are so pathetic and a waste of a big man. Can't go to the hole, can't make free throws, can't make your shots, and can't defend. You are a multi-million dollar fluke. LHM should be mad for you wasting his money. We will lose Milsap because of your wasted salery. Hey, at least I saw you slowly bend over in time to scoop up the ball. I am glad it didn't need much effort or that would have been a turnover and dunk at the other end.

• IDOL (From H-Town)
    April 25, 2008 3:02 p.m.

The Rockets played a great game last night and won a tough one against the Jazz. No doubt the series between the 2 teams are always fun and VERY competitive. The only thing that really bothers me is your jazz makes the NBA look bad and weak. I mean every little finger on Kirilenko,BOOzer,Harpring, and o yea OKUR THEY FLY like they were hit by a truck. Utah should change the team's name to UTAH FLIP FLOPS.
    GUYS this is UTAH not LA.... STOP WITH THE BAD ACTING.... only makes your whole city look bad.

• Rockets 4 life
    April 25, 2008 3:00 p.m.

Jazz are the worst team in the NBA.

• Houston Fan
    April 25, 2008 2:59 p.m.

Note to Jazz fans and Sir Charles. This series belongs to the Rockets. It may be 2-1 on paper but in the hearts of the Rockets this series is good as done. The Rockets are the better team by far.

• Cry
    April 25, 2008 2:09 p.m.

I can't wait to see T-Mac bawl like a baby again!

• HoustonMike
    April 25, 2008 2:03 p.m.

Hey Jazz fanz, yall are gonna eat a big thick slice of humble pie just wait and see.... Its gonna be sweet!!! The Jazz will fail miserably like they always do no doubt in my mind. I really feel sorry for Jazz fans. You don't get anywhere every year and once your basketball season is over (early as usual) you have to wait for next season cause you have nothing else to look forward to. What a miserable life!!!! hahaha

GO ROCKETS!!!!!

• Houston
    April 25, 2008 1:51 p.m.

Jazz best defense is Flopping.

• Houston
    April 25, 2008 1:48 p.m.

Dont Forget Houston Has 2 Championships And Uath has 0.

• Jazz cheer leaders
    April 25, 2008 1:42 p.m.

are afraid the Jazz might have a let down. They have not played very good in any of the 3 games. What happened to the team game concept and ball movement. It appears some of the players have decided to show up. If the Jazz don't start playing better they will let Houston back into the series. If they win and keep playing like they are it will be done in 5 against the lakers. GO JAZZ, GO MOTO X, GO JIMMY's BOYFRIED, and GO SINAN

• anti-flop
    April 25, 2008 1:28 p.m.

williams didn't pass to ak because ak was on the side about to fall on the ground from a pat on the back.

• re: Jazz sux
    April 25, 2008 1:21 p.m.

ha ha ha go back to third grade. What is your claim to fame? Also may I remind you they did beat Houston with Yao and Alston in the playoffs on Houston's home floor. Grow up and get a job.

• Bad Calls
    April 25, 2008 1:17 p.m.

I'm a Rockets fan and happy with the out come of the game, but I still found it pretty crappy when I think somewhere in the second half the Jazz got called for like 4 or 5 fouls on one Rockets possession then Rockets got called for 2 or 3 more on the Jazz's next possession. These guys are playing against the refs more than they're playing against each other. Either way whoever won, this game and the two before, had alot of bad calls. Let the players decide who wins!

• gaisee_htown
    April 25, 2008 1:15 p.m.

Yea...maybe ya'll can flop ya'lls way all the way past the Rockets, that seems to be the case latley...but, the momentum has turned, the tide has changed, and the sea has become red and black...not purple...Bottomline is, at least we have championship banners hanging in our house...so what, MJ did't play those 2 years...but ya'll did, and what happend...the best team in your little cities history couldn't get past the rockets, with the exception of one year...Karl Malone couldn't handle the pressure, nor could John Stockton, and ya'll expect BOOOOOOOzer to carry the load...doubtful. They are struggling against an incomplete team right now, if ya'll gt past us, so be it...ya'll will just get kicked out of someone elses house...oh, by the way...ROCKETS IN 7!!!!

• mhelal2
    April 25, 2008 1:12 p.m.

Sloan is really a classy coack unlike Adelman, who was crying after game 2, Sloan gives the credit to Houston, he didn't blame the refs like the other coach did.
    I wonder what kind of crying baby coach who is complaining about the ref after game 2.

• this one's for Tex
    April 25, 2008 1:10 p.m.

seriously? do you not understand how a best of series works? you have to win 4, not one. Besides, it's you that needs to be worried, very worried. Not only is Utah's record at home now 37-5 but Utah's record in Houston is even better 3-0.
    Thank you very much for the wake up call by winning game 3 too. The Jazz haven't even been playing as qell as they can this whole series, and now they know that they may actually need to show up to win they will.
    You have no shot, sorry.

• LA
    April 25, 2008 1:03 p.m.

Argue all you want, who ever wins this is just going to get wasted by the Lakers. Kind of funny to see all this worry over who gets a chance for big-time humiliation. The Lakers are playing on a whole different level than these two teams.

• JAzzSUX
    April 25, 2008 12:58 p.m.

haha utah jazz so overrated! can't even blow out a Yao less rafer less houston team and even lose at home once rafer comes back. HAHA with this type of a team you plan on beating the lakers and spurs to go to the finals?? In your wildest dreams!

• Respect for Houston
    April 25, 2008 12:53 p.m.

Ok Rocket fans as a HUGE Jazz fan I must say I am impressed by how hard you guys are playing. My hat is off to you. However do not kid yourself this series is over. Just like last year even when you had your full team and home court. Jazz will win whether in 5 or 6. I say Jazz in 5.

• to all rocket fans!!
    April 25, 2008 12:52 p.m.

so what.. one game and all you houston fans think your going to win this series? ya right! d-will will play with a big chip on his shoulder tomorrow and tear it up. then they will go down to houston and beat you on your own floor so they can see the rocket fans cry in person! jazz in five still.

• to jazz fans:
    April 25, 2008 12:49 p.m.

I have been a jazz fan my entire life while living in this state, with that said, ANYONE who discredits the Rockets 2 NBA championships is a complete and total loser and cannot fact reality. Houston knocked out Sloan and the jazz on their way to both titles. So when you state that the only reason Housotn won is because of jordan retiring makes you look like a total moron with no sense of reality. Houston earned those rings, which is something jerry and the jazz have never done, not once, let alone back to back.

Those Rocket teams had great players and a very good coach and a great gameplan against the jazz, spread the court, wait for jerry to call for the double team in the post and shot wide open 3's. Point being, don't make yourself look stupid trying to discredit houston's titles becasue they beat some of the best teams jerry has ever had.

• good fan
    April 25, 2008 12:45 p.m.

holy cow fellers it was only one game we lost. we didn't loose the series. houston, in spite of what you may think, is a good team. we lost by two points, in spite of some mistakes we made, that is not all that bad. we are going to win this series so chill out and enjoy the next game,and if we loose the series, so what, all those millionairs are going to be around next season. what will you be doing other than drinking Mallox. "ulser medicine" GO JAZZZZZZZZ

• Utah's Vacation spot
    April 25, 2008 12:34 p.m.

Hey thanks for inviting us back to Houston. Utah loves to wreck your house like they have a couple times before. So don't go crying Rocket fans when we end your season in Houston for the 3rd time in the last 12 years. JAZZ IN 5!

• Re:Any Rocket fan
    April 25, 2008 12:30 p.m.

Well I see why Rocket fans are so bitter about the Jazz. I mean after what Stockton did on Houston's court and then again Utah sending Houston packing on their home floor last year. The truth is every Rocket fan right now KNOWS THIS SERIES IS OVER! Yep I said it, IT IS OVER! Every Rocket fan hates the Jazz because the Jazz have and still own the Rockets, even last year with your precious Yao and your McChoke you still lost after being up 2-0 with home court. So Rocket fans spare us your garbage talk cause we all know you fear the Jazz and don't stand a snowballs chance in, well you know to win this series. Also don't give any garbage about your asterisk championships cause MJ retired those years giing you your chance to win the title. By the way McGrady choked again last night. Nice airball at the end of the game that about cost your team the game McChoke. Oh sorry it was not an airball it broke the glass. Jazz will win Saturday! IT'S OVER ROCKET FANS.

• Chicken Little
    April 25, 2008 12:23 p.m.

Jazz players you have laid enough big eggs--get out of the coop.

• BJ Jazzy Rasta
    April 25, 2008 12:22 p.m.

Boozer was horrible. Free throws were horrible. Memo was nowhere to be found until that last three... We need to get Korver more open looks! Rockets did not lie down, and we choked on the final play. D-Will missed the assist to Boozer, but that block on his shot was inspired! Major props to Landry for coming up big after getting his tooth knocked out by a Boozer forearm. Also, the main difference last night was Alston. He has gotten way better over the course of the year. With all that said, we still had a chance to win at the end. Next game Jazz by 10. Boozer will need to have 24 and 12 and play defense in order for us to win. This next game is HUGE. If we lose, we will probably lose the series just like we stole it from them on their home court last year. If we win game 4, we will win in Utah in game 6. Go Jazz!

• re: Mike Houston
    April 25, 2008 12:21 p.m.

True Jazz fashion is to choke? And Houston? Blew a 2-0 lead last year and lost game 7 where? That's right in Houston. Houston only has 2 championships cause Jordan retired. Talk a little smack when your "superstar" gets a playoff series victory. Until then talk not buddy. AND MARK MY WORDS JAZZ WILL WIN IN DOUBLE DIGITS NEXT GAME!!!

• Dan in D.C.
    April 25, 2008 12:15 p.m.

Playoffs are serious and should be treated as such. Jazz up 2-0 in the series with the chance of putting it away at home. No doubt underestimated the Rockets and thus RULE #1 was ignored by both coaches and teamates alike. I am a fan and seeing how you all approached the game last night just broke my heart!!! Take a page form the book of teams like Boston, Lakers & Hornets. You don't play around when it's time to win!!! Hope you will approach the next game with more fire in your hearts!!!

• RE: Rocket 4 life
    April 25, 2008 12:03 p.m.

The heart of a champion? I think champion means the same as a winner when games matter. Remember McGrady is 0-7 in career playoff series... Who is the champion you are referring to?

• HOU D
    April 25, 2008 12:02 p.m.

Everyone says the Jazz are playing poorly, yes they can play better, but the rockets are a Very Good Defensive team, give them credit two or three guys are in the paint most of the time, although they had three guards out there for a while and what do we do? Launch (and miss)3 balls! Boozer still needs to assert himself and get to the line more, he is actually looking to pass too much.

• Re: Jazz Fan (original)
    April 25, 2008 12:01 p.m.

Typical Jazz fan, blaming the refs for your team's inadequacies. The refs didn't favor the home team? Go take a look at the free throw disparity, and tell me how such a comment makes any sense. Is it the refs fault your team missed 12 free throws? If anyone can do it--blame refs for missed shots--it's got to be Jazz fans.

• Moto X
    April 25, 2008 12:01 p.m.

This is funny--the Houston fans taking credit for the win.

You hardly won, the Jazz lost this game for themselves--unless you are telling me the Rockettes were defending during our FT's. Houston is not even close if we shoot our average at the FT line.

3-1 after Saturday night. Mark it down.

• californian
    April 25, 2008 11:58 a.m.

In all 3 games so far the home team has lost because they couldn't convert free throws...pure and simple...and we still have all these stars at every level who refuse to work on their basics because they think they are too good at what they do! Although it was not the reason the Jazz lost the game, I do wonder why Adelman is not contesting the "unconventional" 3 point play...l checked it on Tivo...McGrady was still in the act of getting the ball when both players were already on the floor...dead ball...no shot...again, not even close to the reason for the loss, just an interesting lack of scrutiny by the coach who is trying to keep the refs honest!

• RE: houstonMike
    April 25, 2008 11:53 a.m.

The Rockets lost the upperhand after they blew their homecourt advantage in game 1... Then they really blew it when they lost game 2 at home. The Rockets barely won last night, but the Jazz still have homecourt advantage. Remember the Rockets still have to win one more in Utah in order to win the series! Jazz still have the upperhand!

• re: Rocket4life
    April 25, 2008 11:47 a.m.

Who is a champion on Houston? If I am not mistaken McGrady has not won a series let alone a championship. JAZZ WILL BLOW HOUSTON OUT TOMORROW!

• Rocket 4 life
    April 25, 2008 11:26 a.m.

Fear the red and white. You see, you jazz fans have ignited the rocket with all your talk. We are bringing the heat in game 4. We are a different team with Rafer Alston. And one more thing, NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE HEART OF A CHAMPION!!!

• @ houstonMike
    April 25, 2008 11:25 a.m.

upperhand? You are a true rocket fan... look up "fanatic"... that is you.

The Jazz still are in great shape - as if they had split in Houston and took home court advantage.

They play 82 games in the NBA season to figure out one thing - home court advantage in the playoffs, and it's huge in the NBA.

And the Jazz still have it... and the upperhand. Houston is fighting for it's life... going down 3-1 will be very hard to overcome, so it's a must win for Houston on Saturday.

That being said, both teams have shown they can win on the other's home floor... so this series is shaping up to be a great one.

I just want both teams to play a high level of ball (which has been lacking) and let the chips fall where they may.

GO JAZZ!

• Moto X
    April 25, 2008 11:19 a.m.

Blah blah blah.

The Jazz missed their free throws. That has absolutely NOTHING to do with Houston. They shoot their average and this game is a Jazz win by 6-10 points. This is an aberration.

They also had a horrible shooting night from the field--some of that obviously has to do with Houston but they missed some open shots and close-in shots that normally go down.

Bad shooting night. Period.

The series will be 3-1 after Saturday night--unless they still can't hit their free throws!!

This half-court style of game is not conducive to our 3 point shooters. That is why they are struggling.

• Jazz Fan (The Original)
    April 25, 2008 11:16 a.m.

Thursday's game was simply brutal....from Jazz ineptness at the foul line to questionable calls, and no calls.....the referees did not favor the home team in any way...they were decidedly biased toward the Rocketts, no doubt about it. The lack of taking care of and generally not handling the ball is killing the Jazz. It will probably end up a six game series now. I don't see the Jazz winning another game in Houston, so they must hold court in Utah. The Jazz must Man Up....they are playing soft. They must go hard to the basket and post up Okur, Boozer, Williams, Harpring, et al, whenever the opportunities happen. Lack of crisp passing is killing them. Letting the Rocketts punk them in their own crib is just outrageous, not to mention the lack of focus at the foul line. This is just inexcusable.....missing 13 out of 33 attempts! I almost can subscribe to the notion that there have been calls from the league office to prolong some of these series to get the kaching at the box office. If the Nuggetts defeat the Lakers in Colorado, then I know that my suspicions are true, because the Colorado team is a joke.

• TJ
    April 25, 2008 11:13 a.m.

Free throws have looked to be the difference in games 2 and 3. Both teams have lost because of free throws. The Jazz should have won. They had so many chances. Gongrats to Houston. Great game last night. I still think the Jazz can win in 5 but I am going with my original thought of 6.

• Fact
    April 25, 2008 11:00 a.m.

I commented 2 days ago about the lack of interior defense, well it rose it's ugly head again. Until this team gets a post defender(Okafor for me)we will go nowhere. Spread the court Jerry, the spacing was pathetic. Get more into of a passing mode and forget that constant high pick and roll junk. This team has not quite frankly played a good game yet in these playoffs. Two players showed up last night D-Will & Brewer.Once again Booz is talking the talk but can't walk the walk. I hope A.K. and Booz have different mailing addresses next year, I've seen enough. 15 & 11 million each--what a joke. Where did Millsap, Memo, and Korver disappear too? Anyone seen them ? One final shot-- it's a good thing D-Will had such a good night offensively because his defense is another liability. This team is way over rated. No heart anywhere to be seen.

• Not a Sloan Fan
    April 25, 2008 10:58 a.m.

This loss cannot be blamed on jerry, but if they lose the series, jerry should take a permenant leave.

Jerry is so ridgid in his substitutions that he can't see that playing Brewer in the 4th quarter was the right thing. We needed him on defense and offense. If we need Korver in the game, play them together and take out AK.

• Frustrated
    April 25, 2008 10:49 a.m.

I would never say this loss will cost the Jazz the series. What it did cost them was much needed rest and confidence, both of which will be needed to get out of the second round. Now this series will go 6 or seven games. The Jazz just don't have what it takes yet.

• Houston Fan
    April 25, 2008 10:49 a.m.

The Jazz don't know how much trouble they are in. The momentum is now swinging the other way. The Rockets who won 22 straight games is back and you stand no chance. The next game will be a cake walk as will be the rest of the series.

• mhelal2
    April 25, 2008 10:47 a.m.

Man Ak was open for threes so wide, and Williams wouldn't give the ball, and Battier was sleeping in the paint helping defending Boozer, Ak get ignored from Williams like crazy, I was in the game and I was screaming to make him pass to AK, if he pass it to AK and he has good percentage to make, it would open the paint for Williams and Boozer because Battier would commit to AK.

• Jazz blew it!
    April 25, 2008 10:38 a.m.

Jazz in 5? The Jazz already stole 2 games in Houston. They will not win again on Houston's floor. Houston will not let that happen, especially with Alston back. This one's going at least 6, perhaps 7.

• trade boozer
    April 25, 2008 10:35 a.m.

We'll need the money to keep Milsap.

• Sneaky Jimmy
    April 25, 2008 10:32 a.m.

The Jazz coaching staff should have noted the exhaustion of key players and substituted. THe Jazz get outstanding bench play. Fesenko,Miles,Price all bring energy and change of pace. THey should have been used. Boozer was so tired he couldn't hit the basket on a free throw.

• Here we go again!
    April 25, 2008 10:28 a.m.

This loss proved a few things: First, the Jazz would have lost both games in Houston had they had Rafer Alston in the lineup. Second, the Jazz are not ready to win a championship. They don't have the mindset and will not get out of the 2nd round--if they can get out of the first round. A loss on Saturday, and it's Houston's series.

• So let down
    April 25, 2008 10:27 a.m.

The Jazz showed again they are weak mentally... They will never get over the hump...

• ID Jazz
    April 25, 2008 10:22 a.m.

Jazz acted like all they had to do was walk on the floor and they would win. Williams carried the team the whole game. Sloan even said on one of the breaks that the Jazz were not pushing the ball up the court(like they did in Houston). Not so sure Houston did anything different than the first two games, it was what the Jazz did not do.(SHOW UP)
    Hopefully this is a wakeup call you have to show up and play even if you thought it was home.
    I know it was one game but this is the difference between a good team and a great team.(killer instinct)

• Dapper2k
    April 25, 2008 10:18 a.m.

Wow, what a wonderfully hard fought, ugly game! I'll give it up to the Rockets they bring it every player every posession and have made a series of it. I don't think the Jazz played particularly well missing lots free throws and letting Houston take most of the players out of the game. Boozer needs to be more aggressive and look for his shot more 6 of 11 is good shooting we just need more of it. Where is the aggressive dominating "Beast" that was Boozer in last years playoffs. Shot out to Booz, step it up and cary us home.

I love playoff basketball.

Jazz will win tomorrow. Jazz in 5.

Gotta love the suspense.

• re:Rockets 94/08
    April 25, 2008 10:13 a.m.

We sent you packing last year, and this year will be no different. Enjoy the victory cause Houston is DEAD tomorrow. Must be painful being a Rockets fan with a choke superstar and no playoff success in about a decade. McGrady choked again last night that last shot he took hit ALL BACKBOARD. The Jazz took the Rockets lightly but Houston is DEAD tomorrow.

• I bleed blue
    April 25, 2008 10:01 a.m.

I was flaming mad last night. I am a sore loser when it comes to the Jazz. I even lost sleep last night. I know kind of pathetic, I need to chill but here is what I take from the game as a fan:

First off I take my hat off to the Rockets. They are undermanned and have fought hard every game, and make no mistake if the Jazz do not bring it next game they are in trouble in this series.

1-Good experience for the Jazz to lose one at home- They need to realize they cannot be complacent. They did not focus at the line and did not put a body on ANYONE.
    2-This is the playoffs and home court may be important but teams win on the road in the playoffs so they need to come out with as much intensity as they did on the road in Houston.

Overall as much as this loss upset me, as a fan I look at the positive side that this just gives this group more experience. However, there is no consolation in losing, you just have to learn from it.

GO JAZZ!

• HuskerJazzFan
    April 25, 2008 10:00 a.m.

Re: Where is Memo???

He didn't have his greatest night last night, but "no rebounding"? He had 12 points and 11 boards. Not that bad.

Anyway, the Jazz came out flat last night. It happens, especially to young teams. I disagree with those who say they "thought they could just show up and win". I really think they started trying not to be TOO jacked up about being home and let Houston get on top of them a little bit.

Finally, I like Booz and think he could be a great player, but I'd sure like to see him show up in this series. I know he had a 20+/10+ in the first game, but he's been in foul trouble, he's been missing free throws, and there have been at least 3 or 4 times where there was a loose ball I thought he could have got too if he had been willing to get on the floor for it. You never see that guy on the floor after a ball.

OK. I think I got it all out for now.

Go Jazz. Go DWill. Go Memo (and Sinan, or course). Go Booz getting UP FOR THIS GAME!!!!

• Small Town Fan
    April 25, 2008 9:59 a.m.

the jazz pull another great defeat out of the jaws of victory. i don't think they even cared if they lost by the way they played. i love the jazz but they were ridiculous last night. a chance to sweep and they shoot 60 percent on free throws. and oh ya when is boozer going to realize he is supposed to be a team leader and help derron out a little instead of sucking it up. 3-8 is terrible!!! come on jazz put it together and win it in 5!!!!!!!

• anti-floppers
    April 25, 2008 9:58 a.m.

can the jazz especially AK stop flopping.

• houstonMike
    April 25, 2008 9:55 a.m.

The Rockets may be down 2-1 but they now have the upperhand. The Jazz blew this series, mark my words!!!! Yall could have been sittin pretty with a 3-0 cushion but nooooo, yall always gotta suck when it matters most. True Jazz fashion - choke artists!!!!

• Good Shape
    April 25, 2008 9:50 a.m.

Sometimes a loss like that will awaken a beast. Uncharacteristically poor free-throw shooting and Memo was 3-13 from the field. We played horrible and it still came down to a last second shot down one. Everything went Houston's way last night and it was still close. If we can put together a somewhat par game together as a team there is no way we'll lose to Houston again. Does anybody else want Landry on their team. He's awesome!! A poor man's Milsap.

• Chukar
    April 25, 2008 9:49 a.m.

Jazz were flat, McGrady played a little more like a star. Landry had the game of his life. D Will uncharacteristictly missed an assist for a game winning slam to Booze. Free throws sucked. It is still just one game. Jazz can still win this on their home floor. Nothing good comes easy.

GO JAZZ

• Misses # 12
    April 25, 2008 9:46 a.m.

Let us give credit to the Rocket's. they have a lot of pride. NBA teams rarely get swept, especially in a 4-5 series. We all would have taken a 2-1 series lead after 3 games. Game 4 is a big game because if the jazz lose, home court advantage goes back to Houston. Of course, for some reason home court has not helped much in this series.

• CB
    April 25, 2008 9:40 a.m.

I'd say that was one 'foul' game, and one could almost get the idea that they wanted to lose. Forgot you were a team last night Jazz, you are made of better stuff.

• To Jazz Fans
    April 25, 2008 9:30 a.m.

Can the talk of "unbeatable at home" stop now? In the playoffs teams raise their game to another level. It's not the 37-4 regular season anymore. Last night's game proved two things: one, the Jazz will now win this series in six. Two, The Jazz will lose to the Lakers in five.

• Basketball Genius
    April 25, 2008 9:27 a.m.

I'd much rather lose to Houston at home in the 1st round then LA in the second round. This team needs a wake-up call every once in a while. The only sad thing is momentum has shifted and the Jazz better play good next game. They have not had a good game all series. They have won twice while playing mediocre. Boozer should be dominating what is the deal? I thought he was supposebly a superstar because I am not seeing it. Sloan got outcoached again. Coaching is about making adjustments and Sloan did not make any in critical stretches, complain all you want about the refs and we all hate Bob Delaney but they didn't miss free throws. Missed free throws kept Houston in the game if we had made them were up 10 to 12 in the 4th and they quit and the series is over, but we got us a series now and it will be fun to see how this young Jazz team responds.

• phil brandley
    April 25, 2008 9:27 a.m.

wow am i right or what? you guys made your selves look dumb! phil brandley = right!!!!

• Scolamania
    April 25, 2008 9:23 a.m.

Hey South Jazz so exited your never seen your team in the Finals. This year the Rockets are much a better team but Jazz got Lucky or I mean the NBA got Lucky our Superstar Yao got hurt.

• Anonymous
    April 25, 2008 9:21 a.m.

where was Mcgrady ... oh wait he was beating the jazz

• die hard
    April 25, 2008 9:18 a.m.

NO AK NO WIN? HE WILL BE BACK HOUSTON WATCH OUT!
    Big WIN ON SATURDAY! !!!!!!GUARANTEED!!!!!!!

• Great game
    April 25, 2008 9:08 a.m.

Sad to see the Jazz lose. But McGrady showed up in the 4th. Gotta give him the credit. He wanted it more.

Nice game for Deron. Rest of the Jazz had too many missed free-throws. Playoff pressure played a part last night I think.

If Yao plays Jazz win in 7 games but only with outside shooting that shows up.

Jazz in 6 otherwise.

• Dave
    April 25, 2008 9:07 a.m.

Rockets showed up, no doubt about it, they deserve a ton of credit for not letting the crowd get to them. Adelman is as good as any NBA coach there is and you had to expect they would show up and not roll over.
    If TMac goes off for 45 tomorrow the Jazz are in trouble, and on top of that there seems to be some confidence issues between DWill and Boozer..... and who can blame DWill for not passing to an open Boozer, he would have stood there for 4 seconds looking around for cutters and then bricked a shot up.

• sparks24
    April 25, 2008 9:06 a.m.

That was a terrible performance by the whole Jazz team period. Game 4 is a must win

• Gus
    April 25, 2008 9:01 a.m.

The Jazz looked so slow yesterday. Their defense was flat footed and non-existent. They didn't take advantage of D Williams getting double-teamed. Did anyone notice this?

• Dave
    April 25, 2008 8:58 a.m.

Boozer was pathetic, are you kidding me, if you can't take Chuck Hayes to the hole and finish you shouldn't be making the money, PATHETIC.
    I can understand every other player on the team who at least made the effort to fill their role having an off night, but at least give an effort out there Booz.
    I wish someone in the local media had the guts to call Boozer out and ask him why early in the season he was in the top 10 players in dunks and fg % and he's so dramatically dropped off you have to wonder if he needs some of the attention that AK got last year to wake his coasting butt up?
    To compare DWill to Stock is fair but to put Boozer in the same sentence as Karl Malone is a slap to Mail.

• B-Ed
    April 25, 2008 8:55 a.m.

Reality check for both sides here. T-Mack went 2-8 from the field in the 4th quarter. Hardly stepping it up. I think T-Mack is giving himself to much credit. The game ball without a doubt goes to Alston. Had Deron been able to make that last play it would have been his game ball. Bottom line, the Rockets great D controlled that game last night from start to finish. The Jazz had 6 points in the paint at halftime. I give all the credit in the world to the Rockets TEAM last night (not T-Mack). It was a true team performance. In saying that, I still would put my money on the Jazz wrapping this up in 6. They're a young team and I think a little adversity could be good for this Jazz team because they're going to get a mouthful of it next round. Go Jazz!!! Go Sinan!!! Go......get me a sandwich!!!

• Chill Out, It's One Loss!
    April 25, 2008 8:54 a.m.

Holy Cow, what a bunch of bandwagon fans!! It's just one game. They still have home court advantage. They will make adjustments and try again. Houston is a good team. People on the radio started talking sweep after game 1. Totally rediculis. Everybody just Chill Out, we'll win the next 2 home games and it will be over!!

• Hugh G. Hater
    April 25, 2008 8:53 a.m.

Where was Boozer in the paint?
    Where was AK?
    Where was Sloan's masterful half court execution?

20 more years.

• JAFO
    April 25, 2008 8:47 a.m.

foul shots, foul shots, foul shots! The punk rox played really well and won by 2. The Jazz played poor and lost by 2.

• Pass to Korver
    April 25, 2008 8:39 a.m.

Korver was wide open a few times when D-Will could have passed to him but he would not. Just one would have won the game. What gives?

• Rocketman
    April 25, 2008 8:30 a.m.

Great series so far. I fully expect it to continue to Game 7. While obviously I hope the Rockets win the series, I think that realistically Utah has a better shot of going all the way. Well-coached, very disciplined, talented and deep team. Houston / Utah ALWAYS makes for exciting playoff basketball!

• Rick
    April 25, 2008 8:29 a.m.

LOL I figured the Jazz would blow it last night. The Jazz have always been like this, they put themselves in a good position and then they screw it up. Only four losses at home during the season is meaningless during playoff time. Houston now has life and momentum going into the next game. If they win that one too which is entirely possible, then look out.

• Were was ?
    April 25, 2008 8:28 a.m.

A.K. last night? Talk about a no show.

• South Jazz
    April 25, 2008 8:26 a.m.

Hey Tex, pretty confident for a team that has gone a decade without seeing the second round except from their living room!

I will hand it to the Rockets for the win last night, they wanted it more.

I still haven't figured out why Sloan keeps Korver on the floor when the game is tight. He can't play defense and his hurry up shot rarely connects unless it is a one handed set shot from 10 feet!

• bob marley
    April 25, 2008 8:23 a.m.

"singing don't worry about a thing, cause every little thing is going to be alright." Very well put Mr. Marley. It's the playoffs everyone it's not supposed to be cake or let's make it chocolote frosting with chocolate cake. This is what it is all about emotions and nail biting games. Jazz are still sitting pretty and just like Mr. Bob Marley puts it "every little thing is going to be alright."
    GET OUT OF MY FACE ONE FRONT TOOTH LANDRY!!!

• Where is Memo?!?!
    April 25, 2008 8:19 a.m.

Where are the comments about Memo's uninspired play last night? Other than the three pointer at the end, he didn't seem to really care that he was even in the game. No rebounding or hustle plays and every time he did go for a rebound he would tip it off the end of his fingers and houston would get it. Boozer and Memo need to step up their game if we want to win. D-Will was the only Jazz player who seemed to show a killer instinct last night. The last second shot he took was not what cost us the game!

• Kevin
    April 25, 2008 8:09 a.m.

Wereeeee baaaaack. McGrady showed up in the forth. Over confident Jazz fans, save you brooms for your day jobs, we got ourselves a series!!! Can anyone say Skip-to-my-lou

• Non-believer
    April 25, 2008 8:09 a.m.

Been reading their own press!!!!!! Could lose this series. What a joke that would be.

• mike
    April 25, 2008 8:02 a.m.

Hey Tex. It doesn't seem likely that we'll get past you? You guys have won one game in this series not four. We still have a 2-1 lead. Tell us that its not likely when you guys win again on the road

• Still Easy
    April 25, 2008 7:57 a.m.

I'm glad we got the roxs in the first round. The way we played games 2 & 3 we probably would have lost to a real playoff team. That being said, I still say Jazz in 6 and then we go down to LA. Fun year and good Houston has something to take home after another first round exit.

That was the worst 3 quarters I have seen the Jazz play in a while, and we still almost won! I was very surprised to see they still had a chance after all of those missed shots.

• Anonymous
    April 25, 2008 7:54 a.m.

Let's make one thing clear Tex. Houston hasn't won a playoff series since 1997. T-Mac is on the cuff of going 0-7 in the first round. The best thing the Rockets could do is dump T-Mac but nobody is going to take his $19,014,187 salary and is "veteran leadership" to match. I can't believe he said that the Rockets don't have any "veteran leadership". How long has he been in the league? How much money does he make? He makes as much as Tim Duncan but he always finds an excuse not to be the man. If you can blame it on the officiating, throw your coach under the bus and point the finger at other Rocket team members there is a secure place for you on the Rocket roster.

Definition of consistency

2008 -- TBD

2007 --lost to Utah, 4-3, first round

2005 -- lost to Dallas, 4-3, first round

2004 -- lost to LA Lakers, 4-1, first round

1999 -- lost to LA Lakers, 3-1, first round

1998 -- lost to Utah, 3-2, in first round

1997 -- defeated Minnesota, 3-0, first round
    defeated Seattle, 4-3, conference semifinals
    lost to Utah, 4-2, conference finals

• RE: Calm down
    April 25, 2008 7:53 a.m.

Yeah sure you've been a Jazz fan since day one..."I've been with them since the Salt Palace days..."

What a joke that is - is that why they used to play games in Vegas because of the "great" support and "best fans in the league"

The only thing the Jazz will earn is a chance to be smoked by the Lakers.

• Houston Fan
    April 25, 2008 7:52 a.m.

Houston finally showed it's true colors last night. This was a slit to the throat for Utah and it will be hard for them to bounce back. Rockets will win the next 3 games to take the series.

Go Rockets!

• Rockets played better
    April 25, 2008 7:48 a.m.

It's not that the Jazz played poorly - it's more that the Rockets played well. It's nearly impossible to sweep a playoff team and I expect this series to go the full 7 games. Utah and Houston are very even talent wise and I wouldn't be surprised to see the series tied 2-2 after the next game.

• well...
    April 25, 2008 7:47 a.m.

At least the Jazz are "good guys"

• BobWilson
    April 25, 2008 7:46 a.m.

A bit of arrogance on display especially by Boozer last night. Is it really necessary to pass "through" three opponent players to run Sloan's 1927 offense?

• Moot
    April 25, 2008 7:20 a.m.

I couldn't find a clue why they escort one of the fans out of the arena? Do you have any clue why? Bad refs + team out of sync = Jazz loses.

• RE: Sad, mad, frustrated
    April 25, 2008 6:55 a.m.

Mega-dittos on free throw practice. The Rockets made the most of their few free throws, while the Jazz took a ton and missed a bunch.

They also need to learn to defend without fouling, which isn't as cut-and-dry as shooting free throws but should be addressed. The Rockets have been great in interviews with ESPN and TNT at spreading propaganda (i.e. whining) about the idea that the Jazz commit a lot of fouls. Say it enough times, and it becomes true. The refs must be listening, but the Jazz are doing their share too.

Until the 4th quarter, the Jazz actually held the fouls somewhat under control. The first two minutes of the 4th quarter wrecked them, because they had to play soft defense the rest of the way once they were in the penalty. No individual Jazzman got into serious foul trouble. But when every player has two or three, they add up for the team.

Could John and Karl come in and put on a defense clinic for the Jazz sometime in the next few days? Those two so-called "dirty" players were great defenders and could teach today's Jazz all about "smart fouls."

• Calm down everybody
    April 25, 2008 6:50 a.m.

It's one game and the Jazz lost. I've been a Jazz fan since they came to Utah and this is typical Jazz fan response. Everybody always know what to do better than Sloan. If everybody knows so much go get a job as an NBA coach, win 1000 games, and then get back to me with your suggestions. This is a young team and these are the kind of games the players will learn from. Sometimes in sports the ball just doesn't bounce the right way.

• Hey Tex
    April 25, 2008 6:45 a.m.

"Even if you get past us?" How many points did you score last night?

• WTF
    April 25, 2008 6:39 a.m.

Blame this loss on the coach and Boozer for one thing - why did the Jazz started the tempo of the game so slow? Missing a whole lot of those freebies (free throws) will definitely give the W to the Rockets!!! Definitely a winnable game Team Jazz but you have disappointed a lot of Jazz fans last night!!!

• New York Jazz fan
    April 25, 2008 6:11 a.m.

Man, I wish the Jazz could have those last 15 seconds back. I know that Sloan trusts D-Will and let them go with it but people weren't in the right spots and it looked like some didn't know what to do.

That being said, they did have Boozer open twice in that 15 second stretch but I understand D-Will still taking the shot. If he would have missed, Boozer would have been there for the put-back.

Props to Houston on a great defensive effort on the last play (blocking it then keeping it from going out of bounds? sick) Game 4 will go to the Jazz though-- sorry guys!

• Dmitry from Moscow
    April 25, 2008 6:04 a.m.

D Will messed up the last play. Instead of forced shot over Landry he needed to pass to WIDE OPEN BOOZER (he got Landry in the air already) - that was 100% game winner. That would have been an act of a MATURE STAR.

I don't want to talk about free throws, rebounting, diffence pressure, and not utilizing whole team (in second half AK was ignored like last year). Officiating was bad - clear call on TMac block of AK lay up. Seemed like refs wanted to keep the intrigue in the series and pay Hou back for game 2 offensive call during last possession.

But that is an important loss if Utah wants to win the title this year. The message is clear - do not underestimate the opponent.

• Tex
    April 25, 2008 5:58 a.m.

No more sweep talk, eh Jazz fans? Even if you get past us, which doesn't seem likely now, what do Jazz fans speak of next?

Maybe the sweeping will be by LA? Oh well, ya'll will have fun booing Fisher, won't ya?

• rockets94/08
    April 25, 2008 2:49 a.m.

Hey Jazzies you didn't think it was going to be easy did you? Last night was the first time the Rockets team from the 22 win streak showed up. Balanced offense and relentless hustle.
    Take comfort in the fact that the Jazz have only lost 5 times at home this year. Of course two of them were to the Rockets. Any way great game guys. The Jazz are worthy opponents. It is a long shot for us, but maybe this series can go 7 and be another one of the epic series the Rockets and Jazz have had over the years. Go Rockets!!!!

• Sad, mad, frustrated
    April 25, 2008 1:38 a.m.

I would be glad to hear that each player had to shoot freethrows tomorrow until they had all hit 1000. That is horrible to shoot like that at home.

The Rockets definitely played like they wanted it more. They got the rebounds that the Jazz were getting in Houston.

Why let them back into the series? They have shown that they aren't quitters...YIKES!

April 25, 2008 1:29 a.m.

This is fine. This loss will wake them up and ensure they take nothing for granted from here on out.