Brief biographies of new leaders called to LDS Church hierarchy

• David
    May 14, 2008 9:35 a.m.

More people are called by relation than revelation. People who live in SLC and Utah or anywhere the Church is large should already know that and it has been a saying in SLC for many decades. People call people they know and in whom they have proven experience and abilities. It is actually getting better now, because most of the higher ups don't want their own children living at the insane pace that their fathers do. I've noticed that many of the less successful and less competent of the GA's kids enter the fulltime paid Church service. It is very true though that many of these men give up very large salaries and ownership and bonuses to join the GA ranks. They are just men like everyone else, but they have skills that the Church needs. Yes, many do complain about the elitist nature of the executive types. But this is a mature organization now, and the talent and abilities continues to increase, so that the true nepotism of the decades before has in many respects disappeared. Would be nice to see a black in top spots.

• Dr. Max S. Chartrand
    April 13, 2008 2:20 p.m.

We were so thrilled to hear to that James B. Martino, my former Stake President and long-time friend, was called to be an Area Seventy. Elder Martino has blessed the lives of many with his generous service in so many ways. Our prayers are with him and his family as they embark this next phase of service to Heavenly Father's precious children. --Dr. Max S. Chartrand

• to prophet$
    April 7, 2008 9:56 p.m.

Thanks for showing the ignorance that we have come to know and expect from people who just have no clue.

It's amazing the fascination that many of you have with money and the church....

So sad that you have to prove your ignorance with your silly posts....

• qel
    April 7, 2008 9:34 p.m.

I believe we heard a significant piece of advice and wisdom from President Monson at Conference: let us be kind and have respect for everyone, regardless of what they write.

• Raymond Takashi Swenson
    April 7, 2008 7:22 p.m.

Unlike most churches, the LDS Church has no career clergy. Every one of the leaders called to these positions has already donated thousands of hours of service, without compensation, to assist members of the Church. By and large, they are giving up lucrative careers when they accept a call to serve in one of the very few full-time leadership positions as general authorities. People who live in Utah know how relatively modestly general authorities live, unlike the mansion of Reverend Jeremiah Wright. These are people that any organization in the world, business, government or non-profit, would love to have serving as leaders. Besides the lawyers and businessmen, there are academics: Elders Packer, Oaks, Nelson, Holland, Eyring and Bednar who have PhDs, MDs or JDs and were full time teachers, professors and university administrators. Two of the new Area Seventies were missionaries with me in Japan. Other denominations have difficulty getting people this successful to participate in church, let alone sacrifice their time and means to serve others. Remember Elder Uchtdorf's story of how President Monson, with painful feet, ascended five flights of stairs to visit and bless a dying member in Hamburg, Germany.

• Lauren
    April 7, 2008 6:39 p.m.

Wow...I am so amazed that a few simple biographies could bring so many varied comments. I highly doubt that these short biographies were written to offend anyone, or even to provoke any negative comments.

It is amazing to see how quickly people jump upon an opportunity to share negative responses. I am glad to see that so many LDS people are defending their religion as best they can.

To those of you who feel it a necesity to share negative remarks on this page, I ask you to reconsider, and let the members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints enjoy the priviledge of rejoicing in their new leadership.

Thank you.

• Prophet$ ?
    April 7, 2008 5:22 p.m.

I'm sorry folks but don't you find it a little odd that god has chosen only sucessful business men, lawyers, accountants and marketing executives to be the hierarchy of his only "true church"? These men have devoted themselves to god alright...and also the almighty dollar. The lds church is a multi-billion dollar corporation, preying on the faith of people to make money. It's an "Abomination".

• Curious
    April 7, 2008 3:27 p.m.

Like one of the earlier posters I immediately noticed that these biographies did not include information about where our leaders attended college. I'm also certain that many of these leaders attended school at the u. Afterall, the Lord best do have to go through the refiner's fire.

• Dr. Thom
    April 7, 2008 2:08 p.m.

I think Geezergay needs to consider that there is a difference between MANAGEMENT and LEADERSHIP.

Just because someone is bussing table for 20 years doesn't mean they are not leaders, especially if they own the place.

The reason most GA's are from business is the need to understand domestic and international requirements of the Church, which are for the most part business based.

Granted there are few if any GA with fine arts backgrounds, but then, the Church is not known for its ability to encourage consenting opinions that contradicts or challenges doctrine.

I have a PhD and many of my books on anthropology, western migration of communities, and the origin of native americans don't include the BOM (Book of Mormon) as a citable source, and yes, I have gotten flack from members because of it. Doesn't mean the Church isn't true.

• rls
    April 7, 2008 1:00 p.m.

I agree with and appreciate Luigi's comment. I always find these bios interesting. However, I wish they would say something more about the wife, i.e. what was her profession, education etc.

• nothing unusual
    April 7, 2008 9:32 a.m.

Brief biographies are often reported for any group that is in the public eye, people entering the political arena, those moving up in education and business positions, this is nothing unusual. It is interesting to read backgrounds to get a sense of the possible flavor of things to come.

• geezergary
    April 7, 2008 8:09 a.m.

To Frank: Yes it is often men with a business background who are called to high leadership positions in the LDS Church. This is because they have demonstrated leadership ability. If a guy has been bussing tables at a fast food restrauant for 20 years it's unlikely he would make a good leader. As far as the nepotisim charge, have u noted that there are 2 starting quarterbacks in the NFL named Manning? Did u know that their father, Archie, was also a starting quarterback in the NFL? So did Archie's sons get their jobs because of their ability or because of their name?

• Goose Feathers
    April 6, 2008 11:32 p.m.

It seems rather insulting to normal intelligence to dignify a response to most of the previous comments made above. We, of the Church, need to remember "Cease to contend one with another" was said by Him, whose name we bear. Also, with regard to disputations & contentions ".....he that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention........Behold this is not my doctrine, to stir up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another, but this is my doctrine, that such things should be done away." Most will know where this is found. Others who do not should be the only ones left to mutter and bandy about frivolous matters for the sake of trying to feed an ego and use platforms such as these to attempt to draw you closer to the Adversary, for whom they are employed. Truth is NOT what they are seeking.

• to Frank
    April 6, 2008 11:14 p.m.

When you look for leaders, you find them among successful leaders. When you have a lay clergy and need administrators and men who know how to work and know how to make things successful and have experience relying on the Lord to build their respective businesses, you select from successful leaders. You don't have to pay them because they can make it on their savings and retirements, so the Church gets great willing leaders and it costs them nothing. But I also noticed how interesting it is how many of these wonderfully intelligent leaders were raised on farms.

It is marvelous to have men of vision and experience and sound understanding as ones leaders. Yet they remain humble. It is truly marvelous.

• George in Nevada
    April 6, 2008 8:07 p.m.

First - congradulations to the reporter who actually took Elder Christophersen's tip and wrote the bio story. I enjoyed reading the brief biographies.

Well done to those defenders of the faith.
    and to the bashers. as ye sow so shall ye reap.
    or What comes around goes around.
    I don't believe the Rev. is ordained - probably only a pen name. most of the comment is about te mote in his eye.

• jjtotten
    April 6, 2008 7:01 p.m.

I for one enjoy being able to read about the experiences and background of those who have been called to serve in various parts of the world. I am amazed at the variety of different backgrounds and cultures that are represented. For the many different types of service that are requred to operate the Church efficiently a extensive background is definately needed.

I have personally served with President Stevenson in the Japan Nagoya Mission and found him to be a compassionate and hard working individual who did not choose to come, but responded to the call to serve in a very demanding Church calling receiving only a living allowance while he was here in Nagoya.

I am thankful that we each have a voice as we sustain those who are called to be our leaders giving them the right to select those who are needed and called to various heavy responsibilities throughout the world. They have information which I do not have and would be hard placed to obtain.

As a convert of more than 50 years I have never seen anyone act in anyway that I considered improper or self serving in any way.

• Imua
    April 6, 2008 3:28 p.m.

Mahalo nui loa for sharing this information. These wonderful people all over the world... they are now called and entrusted with further sacred obligations. I'm excited to hear more from and get to know these people as they counsel us and share their special testimonies of Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father.

• Larry Lawton
    April 6, 2008 3:22 p.m.

What a delight to see where these new leaders are from, and the wide variety of their experience.
    I would be interested in a list of those apostles who are just sitting around! I recall the last time I saw the schedule of a visiting general authority. His schedule would have been taxing to a thirty-year-old -- and he was in his 70s
    I was there at the invitation of a dear friend whom I had served as a home teacher for some time. After years of struggle with personal difficulties, my friend was finally having temple blessings restored. It was a touching and deeply spiritual moment, and was just one of an entire Saturday filled (between public meetings) with personal meetings to encourage, uplift and help individual members.
    I don't think the general membership of the church, much less our critics, have any idea of how hard our general authorities work.

• Luigi
    April 6, 2008 2:50 p.m.

One more comment. I find it interesting to read biographies from all religious people... we do not vote on our Pope, but we do know where he came from and his "credentials"

Most of the these new mormon leaders have interesting stories and backgrounds since they come from all over the world. I feel as though we all can learn from others even if we do not share the same religious views.

Perhaps some of those who have left negative comments should read about these men and women. From what I have seen, these are great people who can be examples to all.

• Luigi
    April 6, 2008 2:40 p.m.

Growing up in SLC, as a catholic, I find it interesting to see all the Mormon haters here. My family is from Europe and they still love Utah, The mormons are so friendly and accepting of us.

I can say that being from the heart of the Catholic church, the percentage of "active Mormons" out of the 13 million compared to "active catholics" would blow your mind.

Learn to embrace difference...the world is a melting pot and we have enough in the world who want to destroy our country. If you think about it... our own country is going downhill. We should unite as one, regardless of religious issues.

To the mormons, and other religions in this state...Thank you for making my family feel welcome. You are great people. Stay strong!

• Cannot leave it alone
    April 6, 2008 2:09 p.m.

I find it ironical that those who criticize the church after leaving it, just cannot leave it alone afterwards!

• JCS
    April 6, 2008 1:51 p.m.

I, for one, am glad to get the biographies of these new people. It gives me a little background on them to make it easier to remember who each is. Otherwise, they are just a name.

• carl
    April 6, 2008 1:20 p.m.

Hi, I am not sure that people who add the title "Rev." are actually that which they profess to be. Posting comments is easy, and posting an assumed title is also easy. But, if he is a "Rev." he should also remember that the disciples of the Saviour took the gospel to those who were members of their Jewish faith, later these early Apostles, including Paul, took the Gospel to all, Jew & Gentile. We follow their example & are anxious to share to all who will listen & will prayerfully consider our LDS message. No sincere seeker of truth will deny the truth, this is what the Lord has said in the New Testament & The Book of Mormon. We invite all to come unto Christ. Since the beginning of the world the Lord has always called prophets to correct his people when they have wandered from the truth. When the Saviour taught what appeared to be new principles, the skeptics & cynics could not accept it.

• End of Discussion
    April 6, 2008 1:21 p.m.

Do not criticize the brethren. Remember, these leaders have been called by GOD, not by man.

• TexasMormon
    April 6, 2008 1:01 p.m.

I have a brother-in-law that lives in the Salt Lake City area. Whenever we go up for a visit, I am impressed by the number and concentration of hard working, active members of the Church. As Church membership grows worldwide, I find it exciting to see members from all over the world called to positions of leadership. At the same time I don't see any reason why a worthy member should be held back from progressing in Church positions because of their parents.

• Wash State
    April 6, 2008 12:41 p.m.

Thank you for the brief statistics. It is very interesting to see some the great diversity of the LDS Church. That has changed greatly over the last few decades.

Anytime you bring in politics, religion, or other personal topics, you will have a lot of discussion. Some of the comments will be meant to enrage, enflame, and hate. Some of the comments will be made out of ignorance or lack of facts.

What we need to do is learn to share our opinions and our personal thoughts without a lot of offensiveness. This is, of course, for everyone (including myself). I hope we can learn to help each other be better people!

• cool-as-a-moose
    April 6, 2008 12:19 p.m.

How interesting i thought after reading both comments from members and nonmember---freedom of speech and expression as long as it is not offensively out of context. Remember that truth is proof by after many contraries as well as opposition in all things. Anyway, i enjoyed reading it both from non and member alike. Does anyone out there know who is the last prophet in this dispensation? The Prophet Joseph Smith was the first prophet then there has to be the last prophet at the time of the Second Coming---am i right? i really enjoyed reading your comments. You're all cool as a moose.

• To Rev. Gonzales
    April 6, 2008 12:22 p.m.

Rev. Gonzales-

I am sorry if you feel hurt by Mormons. I try to live a Christlike life. Let us all remember that Jesus Christ came not to minister to those who didn't need a physician and offered forgiveness and love to all.

• dyc
    April 6, 2008 10:19 a.m.

I too am saddened by the hateful and angry statements that some have made to this discussion board, but isn't it wonderful that we have the freedom of religion which allows us to worship as we choose and to even make comments like this on the DMN discussion board? Now, I just wish we could learn to help build up others who are different from us instead of tearing them down.

• burnthebooks
    April 6, 2008 10:17 a.m.

Yes! Yes -- Darlene Dufflemen. That is EXACTLY what we need! More censorship in the Mormon church. We really need to get back to the eternal concept: "When the Bretheren speak, the thinking has been done". We need to enforce that with more censorship. I think we need to see a new 4th Quorum of the Seventy --made up of thought enforcers.

• Frank
    April 6, 2008 10:14 a.m.

Both your new Prophet and elder apostle (Packer) get a child into the hierarchy. Why do Utah Mormons do this? Hasn't the LDS Church become global? Why are so many of your leaders white corporate executives? Even those called from other nationalities tend to be business executives. Why? Please answer.

• Dear Rev G
    April 6, 2008 9:51 a.m.

The Church sends missionaries to the ENTIRE world. All of Gods children deserve to hear the Gospel.

The Apostasy is predicted in scripture and the prerequisite doctrine for all Protestant faiths, the LDS Church hardly invented it.

"Mainstream Christianity" has rendered itself irrelevant to the spiritual needs of mankind by watering down of the Gospel to a permissive floundering social club. Rather than parasitic, the restored Gospel is a live vibrant flower growing from dead decaying apostate mulch.

• To all nations....
    April 6, 2008 9:39 a.m.

Dear Rev. Gonzales,

I can understand how you would feel that those who have a faith in Christ don't need to hear the message of the restored truth.

However, there are many who Christ will turn away at the day of judgment. He told us in Matt 7:21-23 of this situation. Unfortunately, many who have faith in Christ have not found the entire truth about His church and teachings. Hence, the LDS Church sends missionaries out to the world to call them to repentance and to come unto Christ. It is done at His command.

There isn't any tearing down of other churches but an explanation of the scriptures prophesying of the apostacy and need for the restoration. There is no harm in this. In fact, I'd say most people who realize they don't have the fullness of the gospel and are baptized are in fact people of other Christian faiths.

I hope you will let go of your resentment towards the LDS Church and try to fully understand by what commandments it does its daily activities.

I hope you are watching General Conference this weekend and feast upon the words of Christ from His apostles and prophet; He called.

• BNelson
    April 6, 2008 9:35 a.m.

Why remain Anonymous you 1 - 3 above? Certainly you can't be seriously afraid that you'll be hunted down for making patently thoughless remarks. None of us in the church who know how hard our leaders work and what motivates them can take you seriously anyway. Why don't you apply a little intellectual honesty and make a worthwhile observation for which you would be happy to apply your name.
    If you want to know their motives, ask them - but I would also suggest that if you were to ask Catholic or Muslim or other religious leaders in Salt Lake you would find that these people consider LDS leaders to be hard working, honest, caring people - whether or not they agree with the church's doctrines. Especially if they've been involved in cooperative humanitarian efforts led by the church.
    I know several of these men who were called yesterday and I'm thrilled. I found additional evidence yesterday that this church is in God's hands - and I'm further compelled to stay close to it for my family's sake.
    God bless you Anonymous - however many of you there are...

• Check the Facts
    April 6, 2008 9:26 a.m.

This is geared to Rev. Gonzales have you ever left your home for two years to go to a new place to serve lord? The missionaries that go out pay for it themselves to serve the lord. They do not tear down peoples beliefs they build upon the foundations of what people already believe in. I would say that first you need to get your facts right before you get on a page like this and say something false. That is the great thing about the LDS church we don't have to hate on people like everyone does on us. The LDS chruch is the the true chruch and has a prophet on earch which is Pres. Monson. The Book of Mormon compliments the Bible as the world of god. And the person who translated that book Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. Yes I am a LDS member and I went on a mission and I never tore down peoples belief. I will tell you I had alot of people that told me that I was wrong but I just gave people the chance to listen. So check your facts Rev. Gonzales

• Relocated Southerner
    April 6, 2008 9:25 a.m.

To "Rev. Gonzales" (if you truly are a "reverend"):

Please stop "cutting and pasting" your negative comments from one message board to the other. Your time would be better spent ministering to your flock and teaching love, acceptance and tolerance, rather than the things you are saying here. And, for your information, spreading the Gospel to other Christians is no more offensive than other Christian churches sending missionaries in and trying to convert Hindus, Buddhists, or Jews. Those people are very good people, too, and are just as offended when Christians try to show them the way. If you believe in something strongly, you will try to share it with others, no matter what.

• Just Ignore
    April 6, 2008 9:22 a.m.

I would encourage everyone on these boards to just ignore Anonymous. He is only writing to get a reaction and we so quickly and conveniently provide one for him.

If we just ignored him, he will go away because his needs aren't being met.

Shall we not try it?

• Arizona Reader
    April 6, 2008 9:06 a.m.

I understand why Anon. does not put a name on his/her comments. What an idiot. Why would the News bother to print such drivel.

• DeLaval Milker
    April 6, 2008 8:53 a.m.

I guess the really good message and great inspirational stuff doesn't get put on tv. I've watched quite a bit of it and must have missed it anyway.
    These old white guys are not inspirational speakers. There might be a message there, but you need a red bull buzz on to focus long enough to find it. And, isn't it time to punch up the tunes a bit? How about some strings and percussion and synthesizer? Organ and choir music is a bit passe.

• To Rev. Gonzales
    April 6, 2008 8:39 a.m.

Dear Reverand,
    Why shouldn't we spread our message to all who will listen. If people are satisfied with thier religion they will not listen to our missionaries. We take our message througout the world testifying of our belief in Christ. Many so-called main stream Christians are searching for additional truth and they are not able to find it within their present denominations. I find it refreshing when I can have a real discussion with a believer of Christ regardless of church affiliation. Unfortunately that is difficult to do at times because of preachers who teach hatred of other religions for fear of losing their members. You need not fear our 19 year old fairly ignorant missionaries. Can you imagine any organization relying a group of recently graduated high school students to grow the organization. There must be something unique about our teachings. You should be worried that we have a message of hope, of love, of Eternal Life and a great love of the ressurected Living Christ that people throughout the world want to hear. Please ask yourself why your members are searching for additonal truth and not finding it within teachings of your faith.

• Eye Dee Ten Tee
    April 6, 2008 8:15 a.m.

I have yet to see mentioned that the LDS church has a much higher standard of who is an active member than any other non-cult church. Any other religion, if you go to service or mass on Easter and Christmas, you are considered to be active. With us, you need to attend Sacrament Meeting weekly, hold a calling, attend the temple, be a visiting or home teacher and speak in church twice a year. That doesn't count parents of youth that get to drive their children to primary or youth activties at least twice a week. (Unless you live in Utah, where you can walk to church).
    I'm not complaining. We need as much help as we can get to avoid sin, and the more we serve others, the easier it is to resist temptation. And may the Lord bless those of other religions who are serving activly in their chosen religion and trying to be true disciples of the Savior.

• Steve
    April 6, 2008 8:04 a.m.

Anybody else notice that the biographies don't mention where they went to college unless they went to the why? I'll bet most of the Utahns on the list either went to the U or Utah State.

April 6, 2008 8:01 a.m.

In my life time,I have seen stakes appear in cities that had one lonely small branch.I have seen LDS persons become respected AND sought after in industry,government,medicine,military and certain portions of education.Those that still spend way too much time hating the church for their own deep-seating personal reasons,just need to "get a life".If I don't like something,I get away from it or ignore it.Of course in these times "getting away" from the LDS faithful is virtually impossible.Sorry.

• Wonderful
    April 6, 2008 7:43 a.m.

It is wonderful to see the gospel roll forward.

• Re: Rev. Gonzales
    April 6, 2008 7:16 a.m.

Like most other people you make statements out of ignorance. One thing I have noticed about Mormon haters--I know because I Was one of them at one time--is that most of what they know about Mormons come from people who know nothing about Mormons. How IS the LDS Church exclusionary and elitist? They do reach out to Non-Christians, I was an atheist before I became a member. As a Rev. you should know the history of the early Christian church, that the were considered a Jewish Cult by the Roman authorities. So if you wish to label us a cult we are in good company.

• broderickmom
    April 6, 2008 6:59 a.m.

In the other DMN article commenting about The Church ad I read criticism that the church is too impersonal, here I read the criticism that the church cares too much about personalities and people. My friends, which is it?? Do we care too much or not enough... Or maybe we care just enough but you don't like us because we exist at all. Wow, that hurts. Please stop that. Please embrace cultural and religious diversity.

Jackson Pollock said, "Why can't we all just get along"

• georgiaonmymind
    April 6, 2008 6:28 a.m.

Ok first of all those who are posting "negative" comments I am confused because this is just a biography of who was called. What is the big deal! Why don't you go and find someone to help and serve instead of seeing how many negative comments you can spew!!!!!!

• No Need to Impress
    April 5, 2008 9:49 p.m.

No one is trying to impress anyone with the 13 million figure. It is what it is. And NO CHURCH on the face of the earth states membership as the total number who attended worship last Sunday. Get real. And don't be offended that Mormons fill the Conference Center. We love it. You would be so lucky as to have attended a session. The messages were great. Love, tolerance, faith, Jesus Christ, humanitarian aid, helping one another; It was great. I am going to be a better person tomorrow because I was there today. You would be too.

• RickW
    April 5, 2008 9:15 p.m.

Re: Anon,

Why must you hate so much? I find the discussion boards here at the DesNews and KSL so disturbing sometimes.

For your information, the members of the Quorum of the 12 work very, very hard. They don't just sit around "enjoying" their positions--they are constantly doing, traveling, speaking, coordinating, etc.

Besides, Nearly all of the general authorities of the church are over 60 or are nearing that age. So they are near retirement age anyway. Why does it bother you if someone wants to spend their retirement putting in 12 hours a day serving their religion? I would that more people did that--from all faiths! The world would be such a better place.

And the area authorities are all volunteers serving in the evenings and weekends while holding down other jobs. Why hate them for their volunteer service to help others?

The idea of this organization being a pyramid scheme is ridiculous since nobody gets rich off of this. In fact, many made much more money in their professions. It's truly service for the love of their God. Is that so terrible?

• Rev. Gonzales
    April 5, 2008 9:08 p.m.

The LDS Church may appear to "bless the lives of so many" be their many programs, humanitarian aid, etc., but they also are the most exclusionary and elitist Church I have ever encountered - and that is not a few! Moreover, their missionary program is one of the most extensive of all Christian churches, but its lack of focus renders its effects damaging to the faiths of other Christians. For the most part, other Christian Churches send missionaries to NON-CHRISTIANS to bring them the gospel of Jesus Christ. By contrast, the LDS Church sends missionaries to those who already have a faith in Christ. They tear down their faith by preaching the general "Apostasy" of all of Christianity. This harms countless individuals and makes the LDS Church, like the Jehovah's Witnesses and other "cults" (pardon the expression), parasitic upon mainstream Christianity.

• Re: Anon
    April 5, 2008 8:50 p.m.

There are indeed 13 million members a significant portion (though I take issue with your figure) who are not active. The leadership of the church (what you refer to as the bureauracy) does not simply exist to cater to the needs of its active members--but it also coordinates reactivation efforts, missionary work, world-wide humanitarian projects, etc. How many Catholics voted for Benedict XVI? How many people honestly vote for their religious leader? Not many. Have you ever read the Bible? Is it not the life experiences of ancient prophets and apostles? We view these men as modern apostles and prophets and thus find their life stories valuable lessons, much like those of ancient apostles and prophets. They are old and need assistance in somethings, but just remember that Pte. Hinckley at age 97 had a more accute mind and was more active than many people I know half his age. Your problem is not the bureaucracy or biographies...it is bigotry. I'll never figure out why some people would exert so much effort to malign an organization that blesses the lives of so many, member or not, even if you don't agree with the doctrine.

• Friendly
    April 5, 2008 7:01 p.m.

By the way your church is smaller then most churches so 13 million is not that many! You still have to get over Billion. Ha you'll never get a Billion in your life!

• Bald and crippled
    April 5, 2008 6:24 p.m.

Please, can't we be kind to each other? I wouldn't mind reading your own autobiographies if you would like to print them here. Why should anyone want to find fault with the Church? They've never hurt anyone. I hate to think where I would be without it. It has helped me be a kinder, gentler person. It has shown me how to help others, rather than hurt others. It has filled me with love, instead of bitterness.

• Anonymous
    April 5, 2008 6:01 p.m.

Why do members need to know the biographies of these men? They don't vote for them. They have no choice in who is called. They could call anyone they want to and it wouldn't matter.

Knowing a person's biography is only helpful if it makes a difference who is chosen for a position. Members don't get to choose, so who cares about their biographies?

(unless mormons really are engaging in "hero worship" and knowing biographies is like reading the tabloids about a celebrity!)

• Anonymous
    April 5, 2008 5:32 p.m.

13 million members ONLY ON PAPER!

That actual number of ACTIVE members is less than 1/3 of that worldwide.

Dont' fool yourself. The Real, Active Mormon Church is not big enough to need this huge bureaucracy.

The reason they have it is because the apostles and prophets are called for life. And they all get so old that they can't really do anything. They just sit in positions at the head of the Church. In order to get anything done, they need a huge bureaucrasy of younger men to handle things.

• Darlene Duffleman
    April 5, 2008 5:30 p.m.

To the moderator:

Why on earth would you let and offensive, off-topic, misrepresentative comment like Anonymous @4:50 even make it on here. He/she needs to be censured more. The comments offered by this person are often all of those things mentioned above in your own little box telling us how NOT TO BE!

• To the hater above me...
    April 5, 2008 5:16 p.m.

Excuse me? Find me an institution that has 13 million members that doesn't have a bureaucracy! As for it being confusing, I beg to differ. I can think of no other organization run so efficiently and smoothy as the LDS church. So dude, if you are going around trying to "out" organizations with confusing beauracracies why don't go try and fix your government which is involved with the world's largst Ponzi scheme--social security.

• John Lambert
    April 5, 2008 5:13 p.m.

Four of these general authorities are the first ones called from their countries. Elder Causse from France, Elder Garravet from Peru, Elder Pino from Venezuela and Elder Teixiera from Portugal.
    I think this is neat.

• Anonymous
    April 5, 2008 4:50 p.m.

What an insane bureaucracy!

What is the Mormon church, some kind of pyramid scheme? Is that why MLM companies are so popular in Utah? Because the Church itself is a huge MLM scam?