Utah

New LDS ad campaign touts the 'Truth Restored'

Comments

• tree
    April 15, 2008 10:18 p.m.

truth restored is a GOD send.it not only gave me answers in statements, but with scriptural findings also,, now what seemed contradictory or confusing is no longer a mystery or a stumbling block.thank you truth is restored for your faithfulness and service in HEAVENLY FATHERS plan of salvation as to feeding the sheep and spreading the gospel.

• Carol P. Warnick
    April 10, 2008 7:17 p.m.

As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints we believe in God, the Eternal Father and in His son, Jesus Christ. We also believe in the gift of the Holy Ghost,these three make up the Godhead. Our missionaries teach the gospel but it's the Holy Ghost who does the conversion. But that conversion to the truth can only come when a person wants to know the truth and seeks it by prayer. Each individual has that opportunity to find out for themselves what it true. All our missionaries extend that challenge to you who are truly seeking. The responsibility to find the truth is up to you after you have heard their message. If you have ever had questions in your minds that have not been resolved concerning religion now is the time to find out for yourselves.

• try meditation
    April 8, 2008 4:56 p.m.

The "truth" is nothing more than what a person thinks is inside his/her head.
    If you start the indoctrination process early enough and never let up - you will think you are thinking about "the truth."

Try some formal meditation.

Eastern philosophy has been doing this successfully for thousands of years. And the practice is spreading, thank goodness!

• "Truth" is shocking
    April 8, 2008 4:38 p.m.

This article caught my eye as my husband and I have been trying for months and months to get answers about troublesome church history from local leaders. They don't have answers and aren't even aware of a lot. The more we dig for answers the more disturbing truths we find. As a life-long member I think we are taught to dismiss uncertainties and to rely on faith. I think I have come to the shocking conclusion that we haven't been able to find answers because Church leadership doesn't have them at any level. Members really seem to be fed a modified history. Why doesn't the Joseph Smith papyri translate into the Book of Abraham? Why didn't future prophets continue the translation process when Joseph died? Why did Joseph attempt to translate hoaxs like the Kinderhook Plates? Why didn't church leaders have any response to B.H. Roberts (author of History of the Church)concerns. I recently felt my bubble burst as it seems I have believed in the fairy tale the church offers. I believed. I wanted it to be true. I also recommend An Insider's View of Mormon Origins. But be prepared, the truth may not be what you think.

• Always trust your intuition
    April 8, 2008 9:07 a.m.

With all due respect, the "truth" you are alluding to always gets down to the same thing:

Either Joseph Smith was telling the truth -
    or was lying.

I can tell you quite honestly what my gut tells me about this - if you would like to know.

• leroy
    April 8, 2008 6:31 a.m.

I saw an old symbol of a church the other day. It was their logo that caught my eye.

It was the cross.

• To Anonymous 4:37
    April 7, 2008 7:27 p.m.

I agree with what you say unless that person is Jesus who said, "I am the way, the truth, and the light".

• Cato
    April 7, 2008 1:59 p.m.

There is no confusion between the LDS Church and Jeff's polygamist group! Non-members are smart enough to see that the mainstream LDS Church started polygamy and then outlawed it, which constitutes "disavowing" groups such as the FLDS, RLDS, Jeff's group and many others who also claim to be following Joseph Smith and Brigham Young's revelations on polygamy.

LDS people are the ones trying to confuse things by trying to distance themselves from a controversial (and frankly embarrassing) doctrine of polygamy!

• To Dean...
    April 7, 2008 1:05 p.m.

You don't think that Jesus or his apostles would have used the Internet, TV and Radio to broadcast the message of Salvation had they been available back in His time? Don't you think that great inventions like these came via inspired men and women so that the latter-day work could be accelerated? I do.

• Suzi in Atlanta
    April 7, 2008 12:58 p.m.

This new LDS ad campsign is certainly a great aid to our missionaries who have so much to offer. Truth is so lacking in our world today that it has created an atmosphere where many doubt the existance of truth at all. I agree wholeheartedly that in our day it would be foolish to disregard the technology that is available to us.
    I am very blessed with friends from many different religious beliefs and we all have tremendous respect for each other and continue to learn from one another. I am thankful that Brigham Young taught to take truth where ever we find it.
    I think we all need to read the admonish of Paul - we need to seek after the uplifting things of life. But, if you seek to find fault with us (LDS) believe me you will find it because we are not perfect and never have been - only Christ was perfect.

• don't we all?
    April 7, 2008 12:28 p.m.

I am quite sure that Mormons want to believe they have "The Truth" for everyone.

Don't we all?

• Denver Reader
    April 7, 2008 9:02 a.m.

Interesting thing about history (aside from its being "the version of truth that survived"): Most of the time, what we "see" is thru the lense of contemporary meaning and understanding, when it might be better to get a cultural and "historical" framework related to the times in which the events took place. I recommend the book "Rough Stone Rolling" (or something like that) to get a better understanding of the culture of early American times in New York and the Northeast circa 1820. To apply today's meanings to events of then is a rather tenuous (I was going to say absurd) undertaking. Sometimes using contemporary understandings will work; mostly it won't.

RE the article: Missionary work is selling (as noted, for free -- all that is required is decisions). What is being offered is a chance of salvation through the restored priesthood ordinances. It can't be bought. The missionary MUST be genuinely humble and in tune with and rely wholly on the Spirit of God to convey the truth of the doctrine to the hearts of the sincere seeker of divine truth. Anything other than this approach will be met with failure every time.

• Miss Manners
    April 7, 2008 12:16 a.m.

I think it is rude, crude, and socially unacceptable for anti-whatever people to post negative comments about a religion to a news article reporting on that religion's activities.

• To CougarKeith
    April 6, 2008 11:37 p.m.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! A young man, age 13 who has joined the church and doesn't say anything negative to anyone else here, but he shares his feelings and his beliefs. He has the courage to share his testimony and what happens here? Everyone seems to want to address the negative comments and to engage in a debate with them and they do not notice the maturity of this young man and give him the pat on the back for that. I don't have a problem with clarifying what we believe and addressing those who dislike the church, but please people, give positive affirmation to those who are saying something positive to the church and from their heart. I skimmed through the comments, but only read Cougar Keith's and was touched and impressed by him, if we spent even half the time responding to the positives I would feel like Polly Anna was in the room. Oh Cougar Keith, she was a girl who met this grouchy old lady and taught her how to find the good and not focus on the bad. Keep posting Cougar Keith, cause you are an awesome kid, bless you.

• offering help
    April 6, 2008 10:28 p.m.

These ads say, "Are you worried about, struggling with, or wondering about a particular issue? We might have something to help or clarify or consider."
    A very non-intrusive approach.

If people want to find out more, they can go to the website or call. Maybe they can find something they need.
    Better than a lot of other alternatives, or no alternative.

It starts with the general and refers to the specific and personal.
    What have you, Dean, or other critical people on this site, done today to help people in need? Maybe even many people?
    Or do you just like to give your sour views on the efforts of others who do want to help?
    No one is perfect except Jesus. The rest of us are struggling along day by day trying to figure things out. This includes Mormons and everybody else. And you.
    If people can do something to help one another, then we should.
    If someone in the church has offended you in some way, it's really unfortunate. I hope someday they understand what they did to hurt you and find some way to make amends. In the meantime, try not to waste your life in bitterness.

• Verl Doman
    April 6, 2008 12:49 p.m.

"When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

(New Testament | Mark 2:17)

• Verl Doman
    April 6, 2008 12:39 p.m.

President Kimball predicted years ago that the masses of the world would never be able to be contacted one-on-one, but that the gospel would have to be introduced through the means of modern technology, and that was before we had the internet. The General Conference is broadcast on the internet and is now being translated in 92 languages. Why would anyone think that these inventions of technology should be dominated only by Satanic content. We need to use every method possible to promote truth and light and to fulfill the promise of Jesus: "And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come."

(New Testament | Matthew 24:14)

• Anonymous
    April 6, 2008 12:34 p.m.

TRUTH - Have you sought to know the truth through versions of history or through the Spirit?

9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
    10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
    11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
    12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
    13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
    14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

(New Testament | 1 Corinthians 2:9 - 14)

• Bill Borah
    April 6, 2008 11:03 a.m.

Holy MBA in marketing Batman, with ad campaigns, test markets, focus groups, advertising executives and a Quorum of Twelve Apostles stacked with CEOs and attorneys, is it just me or does anyone else get the sense that The Church is starting to quack like a corporate duck?

• George G.
    April 6, 2008 9:55 a.m.

It will be a great ad that will try to say something without saying any thing. How will they be able to hide everything?

• bboyack
    April 6, 2008 9:44 a.m.

To the poster who said that just because their neighbor does not believe in their 'truth'

Big Guy | 1:42 a.m. Apr. 6, 2008

Who are you to say I am a 'sinner'. Who is anyone to say I am a sinner. Sinner of what? Are you God to judge others?

They don't call it Happy Valley for nothing. Get your heads out of the sand folks.

• Wendy
    April 6, 2008 9:15 a.m.

In light of the "Jeffs" controversy and ongoing news coverage, (and the frequent use of The Church's name with only a "Fundamentalist" in front of it) is confusing for many non-members to differentiate between this polygamist group and the real Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I couldn't think of a more needed time to reach a large amount of people. There is so much misinformation out there. We should make it just as easy to help people be able to find a place where they can go to get the correct information about what we are really all about.

• Anonymous
    April 6, 2008 8:56 a.m.

slick! Must be nice to be so durned off the charts wealthy, money enough for gloss advertising.

Hey, idea... give tithing refunds to the folks that are choosing tithes over decent meals at home instead of trying to "slick" into people's lives with your crazy promises that will only cost a minimum of ten percent of income for the REST OF THEIR LIVES!

How about a refund to the kids who come from poor families that work their patooties off and faithfully give ten percent of every meager dollar they earn to the mormon corp.? Kids like that have to decide when they go to the store to buy their own socks and underwear, their own shampoo and other toiletries what they "won't" get because ten percent of what they earned is gone.

But lets all get some warm fuzzies for the gorgeous advertisements.

Doesn't anybody stop to ask... if this whole religion thing was really so powerful and if this mormon religion was so "the only true religion", would god really require a spread in Time magazine over helping the needy?

If I were a god, I'd be torked.

• History?
    April 6, 2008 8:55 a.m.

Look. history is what it is. We have great history and some things in our history that make you think. But I have read the bible many times and know it to be the word of God. But there is some history in there that makes you think too? But it is still true. God does his work through his imperfect children. They make mistakes, work through things, do stupid things but that does not overshadow that God lives and his truth is truth. Don't let history fool you.

• I know the truth and it is not..
    April 6, 2008 8:16 a.m.

The truth cannot be restored... it was never lost. However, the truth can be corrupted... and it's been corrupted by a small group of people. begun 150 years ago.

• not a believer
    April 6, 2008 7:31 a.m.

The conscious choice is between either Joseph Smith was telling the truth or was a liar.

Sorry, but I stopped entertaining "the truth" the moment I learned about seer stones, black hats and disappearing golden plates. And was magnified by the "commandment" of having lots of wives.

• broderickmom
    April 6, 2008 6:25 a.m.

I pay tithing to the Lord. The Church is His authorized agent. I am satisfied with how the church distributes these funds.

I have watched and benefited from their disbursement as I have attended church in warm buildings, felt to make changes in my life as I take sacrament and remember The Savior, attended temples, sent my children to primary taught from lesson manuals paid for by the church and to post-secondary institutions heavily subsidized by the church, enjoyed meals at tables with fellow saints, and much more. This I have done in CA, OH, AK, PA, UT, TX, MI, IL, MA, Wash DC, WA state, Canada, AZ, HI, Italy, Guatemala, Mexico, & Honduras.

The church is speaking for me when they publish these ads.

The ads offer those not of my faith an opportunity to understand a little about me and the faith I espouse.

Ads for products generally do not represent my voice. These ads get MY message out too. They really say, "this is why my colleague broderickmom doesn't drink at social gatherings... it's a mormon thing".

So, read, go online, learn, believe or not- At least embrace a cultural diversity that includes my voice.

• fromvegas
    April 6, 2008 4:14 a.m.

It's sad to me to see how much money has become such a stumbling block to so many! The way I see it is that I have found somthing in my life that has brought me great peace and joy and I wish to share it with my brothers and sisters so they can enjoy it as well. If at this time you don't feel that you need these perspectives in your life then I'm glad you have found somthing that works for you! I don't care what gets the conversation going, weather it's a commercial or what ever, I'm glad that I have the opurtunity to meet and communicate about the beliefs that make your life happy and worth living with you.

• Big Guy
    April 6, 2008 1:42 a.m.

I want all to know that the members of the LDS Church don't hate those that fail to accept the truth when shared. It is true that they do not always continue to associate with them. It isn't the person they hate it is the sin that they hate just as the Savior hated the sin but loved the sinner. I do my very best to love all people. I do hate their sin. I hate the sin that I commit on occassion. But I don't hate myself. I have been a member of the Church for over 76 years and it has made me a better person. By no means perfect. I wish it were so but it isn't. My heart goes out to those that feel they have been lied to. I know of no lie taught in the Church and I have a good knowledge of Church history. I also know there are a lot of fabricated stories told about the Church and it's leaders. There are people in the Church that have committed heinous acts. That doesn't make the Church not true. I hope that we can all become better people and have brotherly love.

• Funny
    April 6, 2008 12:36 a.m.

It's funny how the same people who are offended that the LDS Church uses mass advertising campaigns to get peoples attention are the same ones who hate the personal one on one approach with missionaries knocking on their door. They just don't like things they don't understand. Understandable.

• Sue
    April 6, 2008 12:22 a.m.

One thing i know for sure.....The Lord has given the church (its members) the commission to preach the gospel to all the earth every living soul. Everyone should have the opportunity to accept or refuse. How we do that is is left up to us as it should be. We are to figure out the details and use what ever means possible. The ads have worked before. I know a family that saw an ad several years ago just after they had lost a son. They called the number and the missionaries came and they were baptized. It changed their life for the good!

There are many ways to give aide...most of the time the church teaches people how to care for their own rather than giving hand outs. People should be careful how they judge Charity and what the money is spent for.

• Rich
    April 5, 2008 10:49 p.m.

My heart is glad to hear more people can hear about Christ's church being restored. I know Joseph Smith restored his Priesthood and true teachings back to the earth, which had been lost.

• Cade
    April 5, 2008 9:59 p.m.

I am confident that Mr. Eyring, with his advanced degrees from Harvard Business School, will make sure the Church's revenue model is solid. This ad campaign is no less than we would expect from any other fortune 100 company! Quit criticizing and send in your 10% before all your blessings are revoked!

• Re:My observation on those who j
    April 5, 2008 9:49 p.m.

I am saddened that you feel the way that you do. There are many converts like myself who are striving to make my life better and have a closer connection with our Saviour. I feel privileged to be a convert to the truth. I am in good company, after all, Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, Parley Pratt, et. al., were all converts at one point in their life.

• Jim H.
    April 5, 2008 9:19 p.m.

I dont know about some of these comments, but all I know is it leaves a bad taste in my mouth to think of the gospel being sold like a commodity.

• Hez-Bull-Ahhh
    April 5, 2008 6:27 p.m.

What has been restored?

The gospel of Jesus Christ.

Now there is "Another Testament of Jesus Christ" - the Book of Mormon.

Just in case you didn't believe the Old Testament or the New Testament, now you can have Another Testament. Just in case you didn't believe Jesus when he taught the beatitudes, now you can have them repeated in the BOM.

Just in case you didn't get enough of the genocide in the Old Testament, now you can read about more genocide in the BOM.

Just in case you were tired of the persecutions consequent to the Inquisition, now you can see a new religious hierarchy to compete with the Pope, only he is called a Prophet now, and there is debate over whether or not he is infallible.

Just in case you thought that we were finally overcoming the religious fanaticism, elitism, and fascism that almost destroyed the world so far, now there is another contender for contender for hegemony. And the message of this "restoration" is being broadcast using the best marketing methods available!

Now don't you feel blessed?

• Anonymous
    April 5, 2008 6:02 p.m.

When you read these comments, and if you live around the LDS, you constantly hear how dishonest, deceitful, corrupt, and horrible the media is. Advertisers lie to you to get you to buy their products. Commercials sell you things you do not need, and make you feel inadequate because you don't have the freshest breath, the whitest teeth, the tightest abs, and the funnest parties with Bud Light!

Now the LDS Church has joined the enemy. Now the LDS Church will play in the same space, giving you "lifestyle" advertisements to convince you that your life is miserable without the Church in it; to convince you that "the world" is a horrible place that is going to be destroyed; to persuade you that all the other Churches are false and the only TRUE church is the LDS church!

What an embarrassing trend for those who claim NOT to be interested in MERE NUMBERS, but who claim to be interested in saving individual souls!

Mass marketing is about MASS NUMBERS! Now the Church is using mass marketing.

The word "apostasy" comes to mind...

• Anonymous
    April 5, 2008 5:27 p.m.

I was a member for over 40 years. I can tell you from personal experience, the Church is a cult. It uses these ads to get people to bite, then they tell you anything and everything to make you feel good. Only after they have you "feeling the spirit" (which is a fraudulent bit of hyped-up emotion), they commit you to baptism and paying tithing. That is the first thing they hit you with: paying tithing. They need to keep their revenue strong.

But then the judgment begins. People judge you and criticize you for not being perfect. They gather into their own little groups and talk behind the backs of others. It is sickening.

The meetings are as boring as can be, and they are a waste of time. AFter 40 years, I found better ways to use my time.

Beware these commercials. They are deceptive.

• Kelly
    April 5, 2008 4:59 p.m.

To KeithMedfd | 7:08 a.m.,

By your (invented) criteria, Jesus himself would not have qualified as a Christian.

Did you forget to read your scriptures? Jesus spoke negatively and harshly against the scribes and pharisees. He stood in the marketplace and cried out with a loud voice against unrighteousness.

You need to open your eyes and pull the scales from them so you can see the truth. This "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" doctrine is fine for preschoolers, but when we grow up we advance to new levels of morality and ethics.

It is time to grow up, my friend.

• Angelica
    April 5, 2008 12:39 p.m.

CREEPY. Getting members to carry around CARDS with them in their pockets... what are they, robots who work for their church??? And they say they're not a cult. Why can't the Mormons leave the rest of the world along instead of shoving their beliefs down people's throats?

• SHOCKER
    April 5, 2008 9:09 a.m.

WOW, to think that the skybridge news had no comments and this had so many. I looked at this and thought...interesting...hmm.. and no more...then I saw the number of comments.

People really need to argue everything don't they.

To those with good friendly commenting:

Cheers!

• Reese
    April 5, 2008 9:04 a.m.

What has been restored.

• the group is #1
    April 5, 2008 7:29 a.m.

Any organization that puts itself before the individual is a monstrous one.

• KeithMedfd
    April 5, 2008 7:08 a.m.

The best and most self-assured Christians that I have met during my lifetime, do not seek to criticize nor tear down others for their beliefs. They search for the good in all persons. They know their leader, Jesus Christ, and follow his example through deep feelings in their hearts. It is completely apparent to all, in being around these special people. They are never negative. Any comments posted here quickly identify a true Christian by their positivity towards others. One need look no further.

• LZ Freedom
    April 5, 2008 6:23 a.m.

It was up to me nine years ago to ask the tough questions as an investigator of the Church, and I'm glad I did! Posing these questions publicly will allow people to respond to the still small voice if they choose to.
    I'm not afraid of any of our Church History, and I'm proud that the Missionaries primary answer to any of my questions was Search the Scriptures, Ponder it in your Heart, and Pray about it.
    My heart was able to hear the answers when it was not what I was looking for!
    I'm eternally grateful for our Missionaries, and the wonderful love our Members have for people of other faiths! April 1999 Conversion

• Curtis Hight
    April 5, 2008 3:27 a.m.

Re: Jethro

You are correct "Jesus was a Jew." Then he rose the third day! What immensely good news! I'm glad we're sharing it!

• Boaz
    April 5, 2008 1:36 a.m.

"Truth NOW Restored" is misleading.

NOW? As in recent, like the word is defined?

187 years ago is not RECENT.

• Blaine
    April 4, 2008 11:47 p.m.

Brad,

I may have known you when you were a child. The apparent bitterness in your voice is sad to hear.

If God were to show his face tomorrow morning, would you honestly then believe again? Why is the angel story unbelievable? What proof, (not conjecture nor agenda; but irrefutable, solid evidence only) can you specifically offer to show that the Book of Mormon has been disproven? When you were actively recruited away from the faith, did those marketers not similarly sell you a dogma which is equally, or even more, difficult to believe as that which you now strike out against? Are those who founded and promulgated your currently accepted dogma any more trustworthy than was Joseph Smith? What stories now give value and meaning to your life?

There's no such thing as cold. There's only an absolute lack of heat, or varying degrees thereof. Heat can be removed; thereby creating a false illusion of cold. Cold can not be increased.

The same applies to spiritual things. One can only remove him(her)self from the presence of God. That doesnt mean there is no God. It means only that we are less able to know Him and His influence.

• William
    April 4, 2008 10:29 p.m.

Threw out history if a man wonted to get some place they walked or rode an animal. Look at how long the world has been around. When the church was restored every thing changed new technology abounded and will be used to further the work of the Lord in these latter days. If some one is seeking for something it doesnt matter in what way they are introduced to the Church its the fact that they found what they have been searching for and will have the opportunity to be thought.

• Just Thinking....
    April 4, 2008 8:22 p.m.

I think that the basic idea that anything that leads people to goodness and love for others is good. This church has wonderful parts that do that. I don't think it wrong to use media to get people's attention. The Bible is a type of media I think.

The comment about truth only being found in revelation bothers me though, because revelation can be just as hard to prove true as history's truths. It seems to me neither one is very easy to prove.

Still, I can't imagine God wants us to close our eyes to using our intellect in our search for truth, which include historical truths. Ultimately, a belief in Jesus probably includes a look at history.

I think people have a right to get angry when we act like know-it-alls - or when we think the "end" of getting them to join the church is more important that the "means" which is just to treat them with respect and love even if they believe differently than we do. Their "revelation" is just as worthy as ours. I can't stomach the salesman tactic - or any tactic - love is the most important truth anyway.

• Anonymous
    April 4, 2008 7:54 p.m.

If someone out there truly wants to know what is true and asks God the Eternal Father in Jesus's name, the requestor will receive an answer from above. If they ask not really caring or believing they will receive some sort of answer, they very well may overlook their answer. All our answers are based upon each person's faith. I, years ago, received my answer so I know there is one for anyone who really wants to know. Most dubious contributors to this site haven't really wanted to know. I guarantee it.

• Truth
    April 4, 2008 7:47 p.m.

Why do we always try and find a way to "be offended" and get angry with the church. It is all about personal application of the principles of the Gospel. John 7:17 "If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself."

Also, as stated through revelation, "For there are many yet on the earth among all sects, parties, and denominations, who are blinded by the subtle craftiness of men, whereby they lie in wait to deceive, and who are only kept from the truth because they know not where to find it." I think this will help greatly.

• Marc
    April 4, 2008 7:19 p.m.

I think the second comment shows the success of this campaign when cradletograveCatholic said "I've never felt the truth was lost.", So many people have no idea what we are trying to say. That thier was a falling away from christs gospel truth, but it has now been brought back. 95% of people I have spoken with dont understand that single claim. And of course understanding is preliminary to believeing.

• Anonymous
    April 4, 2008 6:46 p.m.

It always amazes me how ignorant and stubborn some people are! If anyone out there can offer me greater happiness in my life, or more peace, or more joy in day to day living than I experience by living as a good person, as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints guides me to do, by all means lay it on me! I have never understood where all the unwarranted hatred has come from, we are good people trying to do the right thing. Offer me something better and I'll gladly accept it, but nothing even comes close to the eternal TRUTHS taught by imperfect men and women who try on a daily basis to live good and honest lives. I'm always up for a cordial debate but (and this is for both sides of this argument) come with accurate, unbiased info and lets leave hearsay and already disproven facts out of it.
    On a different note, I think the campain is a great move forward and will introduce something into many individuals lives that will improve their lives immeasurably

• RE: Crathes
    April 4, 2008 6:23 p.m.

"If the Mormon church leaders were really inspired, why the need for marketing experts, testing, etc.? Could not their prophets determine what will work best?"
    - The Mormon leaders are inspired - to work hard and use their talents the best they can in the Lord's work. Miracles come through strange means. Why did Christ mix clay and put it on the blind man's eyes, instead of insta-healing him without clay?

"And why would Jesus want $1.5 bil spent on a mall?"
    - Is building a city ever free? Did the Jews build Jerusalem for free? Did Enoch build Zion for free? It is not wrong for the Church to work with the community to build a pleasant environment for its members.

"Is that what His church and followers would do with money? Or, would they feed the poor, clothe the naked, etc.?"
    - Do some research. The LDS church does TONS for the poor and needy worldwide.

"...if the church is so great, why the need to sell it at all?"
    - It's precisely because it is "so great" that we want to use every means possible to share the message of Christ with all the world.

• Roger
    April 4, 2008 6:25 p.m.

If the church wishes to speak to the truth they should start with the fact that they do not know the truth.

• Greg
    April 4, 2008 6:15 p.m.

If we're using technology to its fullest, why can't I pay my tithing & offerings on line yet?

• Bertram
    April 4, 2008 5:49 p.m.

Looks like the PR is working, if you take how many varied Comments we are reading on this Site!!
    More People are Hearing about God's True Church and irrespective of Peoples" Views......they are actually seeing, hearing and discussing the Lord's Gospel!
    Jesus, even 2000 Years ago, was very subtle in his use of Parables and Miracles, to create an instant PR effect!!
    With Modern Technology, which after all, came about by the Knowledge which God endowed us all with, will permit the Lord's True Church to bring more and more yearning Souls into contact with our Young and amazing Humble Missionaries!!!!
    In my Country, right this Minute, Billy Graham's Son is using MASS ADVERTISING in just the same Manner.........."what's good for the Goose is good for............!!!!!!
    The LDS Church is bringing more and more Souls closer to the knowledge of Our Lord's Restored Gospel!!!!

• Charity
    April 4, 2008 5:53 p.m.

Responding to the critisism over the Church's one billion in humanitarian donations. Citing a figure of $4 per member per year, the writer tried to make us seem cheap. Let's look a little deeper - first of all that billion is to charitible causes OUTSIDE our church - it doesn't take into account helping our own members. It also doesn't take into account the fact that more than half of our members live outside the US, many in developing countries (over 1 million just in Mexico - not exactly a wealthy country). Also, LDS families tend to be much larger than average. How many 8 year olds do you think should be donating to the humanitarian fund? I think that if we had a way of dividing that one billion among however many heads of households of average or above average income are members, it would look a lot more impressive. Especially if we could add the fast offerings (which are much more encouraged, and every penny of which goes to the poor), but the Church doesn't publish those figures. If they did I'm willing to bet the total given to the poor would be many times the humanitarian funding.

• MormonEdie
    April 4, 2008 5:45 p.m.

Re: StayAway...Please. I feel sorry for you.

• Anonymous
    April 4, 2008 5:29 p.m.

Paul warned that you should no give the meat before the milk. He was telling the missionaries of that day to stick to the basics, God lives, Christ died for our sins and stay away from deep doctrine. If you receive a testimony of the Book of Mormon and the prophet joseph and modern prophet then you have all the testimony you need. The meat of the gospel will happen in time. In the gospel, you will be learning constantly and evolve to higher degrees of understanding. I am 42 and I learn something new each week.

• Get over it Slick
    April 4, 2008 5:03 p.m.

"We get their 10% too.!!! What do you give to support the spread of truth to the world. Read the Bible. This is an ignorant statement. It takes more than cheap talk to build up the Kingdom of God here on the earth. What are you doing to help good causes?

• Angel Chick in Texas (Convert )
    April 4, 2008 4:52 p.m.

In 1972 I lived at CannonAFB in New Mexico I met a member of the LDS Church and requested Missionary visits. They gave me a copy of the Book of Mormon , a copy of D&C and spent a short time giving their testimony. We were transfered to MountainHomeAFB and became members. I have never been so welcomed in a ward and felt so loved. I was a very defective person, I had been abused emotionally,sexually and physically all of my life. I truly felt God did not exist. I am still a proud member and I have done lots of research to find out the truths of the Church. I was never told any of the past history due to all the military moves so had to find it on my own. I feel I have a stronger testimony for having done my own research.These ads speak to my heart as being the right thing for this "time". Please unless you have been in the place where you needed someone to point the direction for answers to you, don't judge the need for these ads as wrong, not everyone responds to the same approach. Still using 1972 books.

• Truth restored?
    April 4, 2008 4:48 p.m.

Jesus said, I am the way the truth and the life. He also said he would be with us even until the end. So tell me, what truth left the earth? Isn't the whole truth all about John 3:16?

• Repent
    April 4, 2008 4:45 p.m.

Completely wrong approach.

Where are the Samuel the Lamanites? Where are the Pauls? Where are the Aarons and the Moseses?

The world needs to be called to repentance not made to feel good.

The PR department has taken over the church.

• South Bend Cougar
    April 4, 2008 4:40 p.m.

What if one substituted the word "proselyting program" for "ad campaign" in the title of the article? Are we not doing the same thing that the church missionary program has always done, try to reach out to invite others to hear our story? To all those who "aren't interested," don't go to the web site and don't answer the door when the missionaries knock on your door. Do you get upset watching Ford commercials when you drive a Buick?

Didn't someone mention "straining at a nat and swallowing a camel?"

• Anonymous
    April 4, 2008 4:37 p.m.

Hearsay is different than truth.
    One man's testimony does not equal the truth.

• Skrupa
    April 4, 2008 3:47 p.m.

The Life of Jesus CHrist is not a commercail nor should it be. Making money or gaining power while using His name just seems out of line. Let people live and find it through natural and less wordly ways. Truth sometimes comes in fragments and eventually becomes whole. Why does the LDS church need to run commercials? To compete for numbers? Religion and spirituality really do not need to be a competition for first place and the "numbers game." I would rather see millions go to the poor, the mentally challenged, homeless, and starving countries.

• Just a thought
    April 4, 2008 3:50 p.m.

I believe a wise person will study something out, then use that as information, along with the Light they have, to make a good decision. Surely we hope that a person trying to chose a marriage companion, would study out all aspects--not just feelings--before choosing to marry. A wise church should be no different. What looks clinical and calculating, is actually part of the studying out process. I believe the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is guided by revelation. I believe that revelation is augmented when coupled with sincere effort to make wise decisions. I know Jesus Christ is guiding this church; I know He expects us to use all we have been given in intelligence before He will give us more information.

About the history thing--don't let the "history" of the Church lead you astray. Coming from deep historical roots in the Church, I've had the opportunity to study the Church's history as an insider. I have found that at times, people truly have made mistakes, but those were the mistakes of people, not God. I try not to let people and their actions get in the way of my salvation.

• To Truth Restored 2:33
    April 4, 2008 3:47 p.m.

What do you want explained to you about the Book of Abraham? It's not really that hard to read or understand, but if you want to put your question on the table, maybe someone would answer it for you...

• JAY
    April 4, 2008 3:22 p.m.

I would like to say your ads are appealing but you can not change people hearts if they don't want to and your church seems to always be that way. i wish you would leave people alone if they don't believe in it then they don't have to. THere is Freedom of religion and you can't make anyone go to any church. You're always trying too hard to get someone to join your church. I would like to say good luck. There are more Non-Christian then Christian.

• Trent
    April 4, 2008 3:19 p.m.

Do you think we will ever see the day when an LDS Church commercial aires during the SUPERBOWL!?

That would be something! "Come unto Christ" right after "Drink Bud Light" and just before the Budweiser Clydesdales!

All kidding aside, I think that is what bothers me about this - can Salvation be made into a Product and sold to mass markets without losing what salvation is all about?

• Johnny Utah
    April 4, 2008 3:02 p.m.

It's too bad they don't have any facts to back up and prove their "TRUTH"

• Truth Restored
    April 4, 2008 2:33 p.m.

Sounds like a great idea. Please start with the Book of Abraham as has been mentioned, or at least cover it at some point. Those who don't know about it can look it up quickly on the internet. The church should not be afraid of talking about a book in the scriptures. I would like to see someone in the church leadership explain it, or at least try to, rather than members on their own.

• I live in Vegas
    April 4, 2008 2:07 p.m.

and we were one of the first cities for the campaign. There have been billboards, commercials and even internet ads for almost a year now. I've been impressed with it and I'm glad that it's being introduced all over now.

• To Matt
    April 4, 2008 2:05 p.m.

Interestingly enough, this scripture is found in Matthew....

Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
    Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
    But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
    That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

Kinda speaks for itself regarding your bragadocious comments about how much you give to charity.....

• Dear Matt
    April 4, 2008 2:07 p.m.

So you are judging. Yes, you are. You are judging in your world that people aren't thinking with their own brain. How do you make that determination?

You are judging my friend because you think everyone should think like you who is superior to others in their thoughts. Can you tell us how you became superior to everyone else on here who doesn't agree with you?

So what truth and facts do you believe in? You don't like warm fuzzies? Why do you deny the mechanism by which Christ said he'd bring all things to your rememberance?

Matt, your intellectual type is all too common these days. You are superior to everyone because according to you, you think with your own brain. If that is the case, please tell us 1, just 1, original thought that you have ever had?

Christ says numerous times that He doesn't want your head, he wants your heart. Those who think they are intellectually superior to everyone and everything, will never turn their heart over to Christ.

Let them that have ears, hear...The elect will hear my voice....

The best thing is...it's never too late for any of us to turn to Christ!

• Justamere
    April 4, 2008 1:42 p.m.

Crunching numbers writes:

"I always get a chuckle out of this especially when you look confidentally at the pure numbers:

Approx. # if Mormons (not known if baptized dead people are included in this figure = 11 million.

Approx. # of Catholics = 1.6 billion.

So you see, there is really no concern on what some Mormons may say or do."

Actually about 13,000,000 living Latter-day Saints.

The number of Muslims now exceed the number of Catholics. So, using the same logic, there is really no concern on what some Mormons or some Catholics may say or do.

But then, my dad's bigger than your dad, so you better watch out. :-)

• Justamere
    April 4, 2008 1:35 p.m.

cradletograveCatholic writes: "I've never felt the truth was lost."

High schools continued, but universities were no longer remembered. :-)

• crunching numbers
    April 4, 2008 1:29 p.m.

This is beginning to sound more and more like the usual "my church is better than your church" nonsense that I have heard ad nauseum for the last 26 years living in Utah. It is customary to attack the Catholic Church in one form or another, ie., recent LDS missionaries' attack on a Catholic church and its sacred symbols.

Approx. # of Catholics = 1.6 billion.

So you see, there is really no concern on what some Mormons may say or do.

• Gotta do something...
    April 4, 2008 1:29 p.m.

Growth rates have leveled off in the church if you compare 1987 to 2007. The brethren know this and are worried. The retention rates have dropped dramatically as well. The numbers of young men willing to go on missions has plateaued. The real crises is looming....the internet has made available much information left out of church histories, and it ain't good stuff. I think there is a "way out" for the brethren, but it involves being honest about our history. I involves admitting some mistakes by early leaders not heretofore admitted. If done properly I believe the church would start to grow again. If ignored, the problems will only get worse. I realize its a tough situation for them. They believe being honest would cause many to leave. I don't think that would happen. We WANT to believe. We will accept the faults and mistakes of the past as great lessons in our innate nature as human beings. We will forgive, but obfuscation, lying for Lord, deleting important information, and neglecting those of us "who know stuff" will not ensure long term success of the church, nor please the Lord.

• Matt
    April 4, 2008 1:27 p.m.

I'm not judging at all.

I'm just trying to get people to see with their own eyes and listen with their own ears. And above all else, THINK WITH YOUR OWN BRAIN.

And here's my best gem: don't believe everything you hear or read. The post that I had been responding to (the guy who thought that others were donating funds for the building of the mall) had apparently heard something from somebody and the facts were wrong. Pure, plain wrong.

I'm believe in truth and facts. Not "happy fuzzies" and "good ideas". I need cold hard facts.

**and I give 300 times more per year to humanitarian causes than the mormon church gives per member/per year**

And for Matthew's clever comment about my personal undergarments - they get in a knot when I get lied to to my face.

• shadow
    April 4, 2008 1:13 p.m.

Interesting. People really lose it quickly, don't they. Religion is a touchy subject. And circular logic is apparently in the epidemic stage. I adore people who toss Bible and other scriptures as if it wards off a vampire or something. Good Parlovian reactions.

Marketing can be a strategy, tactic, and/or tool. I minored in marketing at the doctorate level, and eventually owned my own firm. So I am looking forward to how this all works out. Haven't seen the ads yet.

For many years I have been able to see a new ad on tv and say to the Mrs., "Hon' another Mormon ad." And sure enough I was right. I don't know how I knew, maybe from growing up in American Fork. The ads all followed a pattern, or a rhythm, the one-two-three-four approach. Predictable to the nth degree.

But a new campaign? A new gotcha!!! whoa, this will keep me on my toes.

Looking forward to it.

BTW, do the Mormon authorities honestly think that Las Vegas is really like the rest of the world. A place to run these ads? I bet that they are counting on attracting the dysfunctional people in that area.

The Shadow Knows.

• Matthew....
    April 4, 2008 1:01 p.m.

Matt, are you judging? I certainly hope not....

Actually, what's got your undies so uptight?

I love the laugh that people like you provide on these pages.

Thanks...

• A couple thoughts
    April 4, 2008 12:58 p.m.

1. There is absoltely nothing wrong with a Church, business, or any other organization who believes their message or product is of value to market in anyway they feel is effective. To criticize the Church for this marketing campaign is absolutely disengenuise.

2. The question about the Church in my opinion is rather simple: If you believe that God and Jesus appeared to Joseph Smith and began the process of restoring their truth to him through the LDS Church - then it is probably a very good idea to be as strong and dedicated to the Church/Gospel as possible regardless of personal questions or imperfect members. If you do not believe that then there is absolutely no reason to put your time, effort and resources into an organization built upon the premise of absolute truth.

• Matt
    April 4, 2008 1:01 p.m.

Even more interesting is the fact that that was written aprox 80 years after christ had died, sorry - can't call it a quote - nobody heard him say it firsthand.

• an interesting quote from Christ
    April 4, 2008 12:40 p.m.

And I say to thee, thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. (Matthew 16:18)

• If it's either Joseph lied or no
    April 4, 2008 12:35 p.m.

It's clear he just lied.

If anyone is wondering, read An Insider's View of Mormon Origins by Grant H. Palmer

Joseph, though complex, has no credible evidence for any of the foundational claims he or the Church makes. Read that book and you will see. Period. Have a nice day.

• Brian
    April 4, 2008 12:38 p.m.

I love being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints! I live in Reno and have been part of the "test" market. It has been a great experience, the billboard advertisements offer a positive, uplifting message, to all those passing by. I've had dozens of friends, coworkers, and peers comment on the advertisements and that the information found online helped them understand the basic doctrines of the Church. Understanding leads to peace in the world. It doesn't help to have people always tearing down the good that the Church does in the world. Yes, the Church has teachings that aren't popular and even "stories" that might shake someone's faith. But knowing this information myself and seeing the abudant good "fruit" that comes from the Church and its members, it is my opinion that good fruit comes from a good tree. Despite the imperfections of people, the Church rolls forth helping people live good uplifting lives. This advertising campaign is just another good fruit, helping people find peace in this world.

• John Lambert
    April 4, 2008 12:29 p.m.

To Henderson Guy,
    I served my mission in Las Vegas. I can see why there is a need for these adds. Many people in Las Vegas think all Mormons are white, or at least that they hate blacks. I on multiple occasions had people say to me "Your Mormons, I'm black, your supposed to hate me". I knew of another lady who was not as open with admitting she thought that Mormons were racist, and I am not sure we really found out that was her main hang up until Elder Duarte showed up and she expressed surprise that there were black Mormons.
    At the same time, many new communities in Las Vegas are gated and many apartment complexes make it almost inpossible for the missionaries to tract there.
    We have to remember that the mandate the Lord gave us is to preach the gospel to every creature. There are many, even in Las Vegas, who are kept from the truth because they know not where to find it. If this campaign can help such people find the truth it is a worthwhile endevor.

• John Lambert
    April 4, 2008 12:23 p.m.

We read from the Book of Abraham to everyone of the converts we baptized on my mission.

• Matt
    April 4, 2008 12:21 p.m.

Re: "re: craith"

Man, do you have YOUR facts wrong.

Please refer to LDS documents ONLY -

1) The mall in SLC is NOT being built by donations. It is being built using LDS church funds that were generated by other businesses that the mormon church owns. These businesses were started/purchased/funded by tithing dollars, BTW. Again, the mall is NOT being built by donated funds.

2) Do the math using the LDS website. the mormon church gave one billion dollars in goods/services/cash money between the years of 1985 and 2006. That is a 21 year span. Use official membership numbers. Use aproximate activity rates (the mormon church won't give this figure, so aproximate please). You will discover that over a 21 year period, the mormon church has given the equivilant of less than $4.00 PER MEMBER PER YEAR to humanitarian causes.

Building a $1.5 BILLION dollar boondoggle in SLC.

I'm not sure that Jesus would be very proud of his flock.

• John Lambert
    April 4, 2008 12:13 p.m.

To Christopher Jones,
    You may have a point that people use the proclamation on the family less than they ought to. Yet, considering the fact that here in Michigan the mayor of Southfield has been given the proclamation, and I only know that becuase I happened to be at that chaple and see an item on the bulletin board about the event right after it happened. So it is used and shared, maybe it could be much more, but it is shared.

• John Lambert
    April 4, 2008 12:10 p.m.

To the observer,
    And you of course are have no flaws at all. Those who join the church are flawed, but you are perfect and scatch your head every day as to why you have not yet been translated.
    Give me a break, none of us are perfect, and we all need the atoning blood of Christ in our lives. There is much of the doctrines of the church you seem to entirely overlook.
    Your statement reminds me of how the Pharisees condemned Jesus for being among the sinners and the poor. So maybe we do not see millionaries join the church very often. However as Jesus said the whole do not need a physician. People who think they have everything together do not join the church.
    On the other hand your comment is off the wall. I live in a stake where our stake president is a convert, where a third of the bishops and branch presidents (at least) are converts, and so on.

• kirk
    April 4, 2008 12:09 p.m.

"He who hath ears to hear, let him hear. He who hath eyes to see, let him see."

All throughout the New Testiment there are examples of those who heard the Saviors message but didn't understand the meaning. The same happens today. A person's spirit has to be in the right condition (i.e. faithfull, humble, etc.) otherwise the message makes no sense.

The hope of this campaign is that the message will reach those who are ready and willing.

Wouldn't it be sad to tell God when He returns that we didn't do everything we could to reach HIS children because we were worried some people would criticized our efforts?

• Crathes...
    April 4, 2008 12:03 p.m.

The mall development monies came from church "investments". Those monies came from the cars and washing machines the church has been producing and selling for years, good quality items, by the way. Anyway, you are wrong about the money coming from members, donating specifically to the project. BUT, no tithing monies are being used! Cheers!

• Mike R.
    April 4, 2008 12:08 p.m.

If you want to see how early Christianity was really screwed up, by people, and just how those plain and precious truths were lost, read a book entitled 'When Jesus Became God: The Struggle to Define Christianity During the Last Days of Rome' by Richard E. Rubenstein. It is very eye opening.

I'm looking forward to the ads.

• John Lambert
    April 4, 2008 12:01 p.m.

Jesus is the Christ, the son of God yet he is also God.
    To History of the Church guy, why don't you just go and quote the relevant passages in the Book of Abraham. It would be so much easier, and your random comment would seem to hold more water.
    There are a lot of issues that you have not addressed. I will just say here that members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believe that Jesus Christ is the creator of the earth. Michael the Archangel was one of his main assitants. Like Paul said, there are Lords many but we worship but one Lord. You do not have to agree with the LDS view that our spirits are the children of God the Father and we have a divine spark within us, but you should at least face up to the fact that what Joseph Smith said can only be understood by grounding yourself in these basic facts.

• Bill from South Dakota
    April 4, 2008 12:05 p.m.

What is all the fuss about "marketing?" One of the purposes of marketing is to give exposure to a product. We have so much marketing of wickedness, immorality, and materialism that I think it is completely appropriate that something trully useful is marketed! Give us a choice. Are those of you who constantly spew vitriolic hatred afraid of choices?

• Fredd
    April 4, 2008 12:04 p.m.

Milk before meat? I guess if your story is so unbelievable you have to leave parts of it out to investigators or you will scare them then the "truth is not always useful".

• Another Catholic
    April 4, 2008 11:55 a.m.

Well.....I just can't go there. And the Holy Spirit has filled my heart and soul with tremendous power as well and yes, I have read the Book of Mormon, not once but twice and never felt anything. I guess I am danged for all eternity....sigh

• John Lambert, SH near Det MI
    April 4, 2008 11:52 a.m.

I think this is a marvelous campaign. The homefront had a positive effect, but there needs to be more substantive cmapigns.
    Considering that the church still has over 50,000 missionaries serving it is hard to say the church leaders do not care about individuals. When President Monson urges us to reach out to new converts and people struggling in the faith with love people say that is condescending.
    With more and more people living in gated communities, telecommuting and so on, many people can only be reached through media campaigns.
    One other note, the website is mormon.org, not pluralized.

• Jethro
    April 4, 2008 11:51 a.m.

The mormons claim to be the church of Jesus Christ, if this true, and the mormons wish to restore the church of Jesus then they need to assimilate in to Judaism because Jesus was a Jew, born a Jew, lived a Jew, baptized a Jew and died a Jew. The same with his diciples and followers He never intented any other religion other than Judaism. He only wished to reform His church and clean up the corruption.

• Never
    April 4, 2008 11:39 a.m.

I have never read, nor heard an attack on another church given by a leader of the LDS church. However, I continually hear comments made by other pastors or leaders of other churches attacking the Mormons and claiming that they are not Christian. Which is more Christian? Hint: By their fruits ye shall know them.

• Henderson Guy
    April 4, 2008 11:38 a.m.

interesting that the church chose Las Vegas as a test market. There are already 21 stakes here in the Las Vegas Valley. Why do they feel they need to grow here? It seems to be growing fine anyway.

• Church Programs
    April 4, 2008 11:37 a.m.

For those who ignorantly state that the church just wants people who are down on their luck and don't have any programs for them......

First and foremost, the gospel of Jesus Christ is the program for those who humble themselves before Him for His grace is sufficient for those who do humble themselves.

Second, their are great recovery programs that people can go to. My brother goes to them each week and says they are the most spiritual meetings he has ever attended. And as already said, they are free for anyone.

What's really sad is the hate and ignorance perpetuated on these pages every day. Will the truth of the Book of Abraham be revealed? Ignorant comments by those who just hate; nothing more, nothing less.

Satan does have the stranglehold on many hearts; those who refuse to believe and trust in Christ.

However, we do know that many came to this earth just to get a body, knowing they would never accept the gospel because they really didn't accept it before they came here.

Continue in the faith for the elect of God will hear His voice and come unto Him.

• Backhanded Putdowns
    April 4, 2008 11:33 a.m.

Backhanded putdowns of other faiths will not win friends, to say the least. Although Austin Collie will be a big supporter of these ads.

You can talk about the good aspects of one faith without backhanded putdowns of other faiths. Putting down other faiths is bad form.

• Interest vs Conversion
    April 4, 2008 11:36 a.m.

I think it is a great idea. I learned on my mission that the hardest part is getting a foot in the door. Yes, conversion was, is, and will still be very personal. These ads will not and are not meant to convert anyone. It's getting people's interest. Missionaries will still be teaching one-on-one with families and individuals.

The anti-Mormons have figured it out. There are no new arguments that haven't already been answered ad-nausuem but they market it differently and there are still new "buyers".

The ads are meant to peak interest. The missionaries will still teach. The Spirit will still convert.

• Dear Brad Anderson
    April 4, 2008 11:33 a.m.

Mr. Anderson, your humility preceeds you in your comments. You are someone who must think they are intellectually superior to others.

I really only have 1 thing to say to people like you who "demand" evidence....

But Thomas, one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came.

The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.

And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.

Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.

Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

John 20

• Re; Brad Anderson
    April 4, 2008 11:31 a.m.

You're breathing, aren't you? Sounds like proof to me.

• friend
    April 4, 2008 11:12 a.m.

If there is a God (and I believe there is) and if He loves us all (which I believe He does) and if he is patient with us (which I believe He is) then I would hope that we would all try to emulate Him.

All of us -- male and female, bond and free, Mormon or not -- have been asked by our Father to love Him and each other. Can we, all of us, do that?

• Love
    April 4, 2008 11:00 a.m.

This is all about God's love of his children. He will do it however he can to bring them to the truth. Missionaries, service, being a good example, promtional ad, and any other positive way of bringing souls to the knowledge of the savior and their Heavenly Father.

I personally would do most any righteous thing to bring people to Christ. Anything from shoveling snow in their driveway, taking them out to lunch, or even giving my own life. I think anyone with a strong testimony would do almost anything!

• Brother Doggy Dogg
    April 4, 2008 10:59 a.m.

The Church is simply pushing its greatest asset. This is the Gospel restored. Why not publicize that very fact? I'm glad that Snoop finally saw the light on April Fools day!

Actually Snoops'joke is great for added publicity to the church. The phoney CNN article was GREAT! It mentions Family Home Evening and was written very well. Great PR for the church! Keep it comin' Brother Doggy Dogg.

• No Monetary Gains
    April 4, 2008 10:38 a.m.

People that think this advertising is used for monetary gains and boost up membership numbers, with out caring for the individual are mistaken. This marketing is used as a tool for people to seek out members of the LDS church and/or LDS missionaries. Then it becomes a very personal way of sharing what the LDS beliefs are, and leaving it up for the individual to decide for themselves if they believe it or not. If they do not, most of them will have a better understanding of the LDS beliefs and people, and stereotypes and misunderstandings will be done away.

I hope any one, whether LDS or not LDS, will put aside their personal feelings and think about the real intentions of this. I did, and I truly believe it is only set up to help individual people on an individual basis. Anyone who says the LDS church does not have programs to help people with various personal problems need to actually look in to it more. You would have a hard time finding any organization with more programs set up to help and strenghten people.

• smitx
    April 4, 2008 10:41 a.m.

These ads are to sow seeds by the way. These comments reveal examples of what happened to every seed mentioned by Jesus in his parable. The seeds were all good, but some grew and some didn't. It all depended where the seeds landed--some in good soil and produced a hundred fold, some in bad and didn't take root, some took shallow root for a short time and wilted in the heat of the sun, others were crowded out by thorns, and others taken by birds and never reached the soil.

You "history" experts: Where is the truth? Would you rather be judged by statements of enemies--even by affidavit--or by those who know you best? Christ gave the the way to judge: "by their fruits ye shall know them." Many have claimed a prophetic calling, but who brought forth 900 pages of new scripture to back it up--who died rather than deny it? You can read it and ask yourself whether it possible for a man not of God to have written this. I have concluded that it was not. No, he wasn't perfect, and didn't claim to be (but then, neither was Peter, or Paul, or Moses...).

• Stay Away...Please
    April 4, 2008 10:30 a.m.

Get your sign on the front lawn, please.

We aim to please.

• Re: Anonymous
    April 4, 2008 10:26 a.m.

Well your comment is half right: It is either true or it isn't. But it wasn't a solitary man testifying of the restoration of the gospel; there were many witnesses who bore testimony of the truth of those things. And those witnesses never denied the truth of their prior testimony, even when they became estranged from Joseph Smith and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. You would think that if it was all a sham, any motivation to keep up pretenses would disappear once good feelings among its early members became strained.

But their testimony remained the same.

• Good use of the media
    April 4, 2008 10:16 a.m.

The media approach is used by those trying to destroy everything that is good and just in this world. Why not use that same media to bring a positive message instead of all the negative. I think the message of Christ needs to be seen more in all of our media outlets.

• Dean is SOOO wrong
    April 4, 2008 10:22 a.m.

Dean said: "They target people with problems and addictions, but they don't have a proven program for helping people with these things. Instead, they just claim that if you attend your meetings and pay your tithing, everything will take care of itself. That isn't true. I know from personal experience. "

What Deans experience lacks is a knowledge that the Church sponsors addiction recovery programs is most all regions across the US and the program is spreading throughout the world.

I KNOW because I am a recovering addict and I attend these meetings and programs which are FREE to anyone.

• Brad Anderson
    April 4, 2008 10:16 a.m.

So God needs to have things Market tested now? Wow, he's turning into a 'softy'.
    As far as God wanting his children to participate; if he does want people to believe, why doesn't he show his face? Why did he "restore his church" by means of a crazy story about Angels, by a person who wasn't trust worthy, and was known for telling stories, with a book that has been disproven, historically, by everyone except Mormons?
    Also, using scripture to prove God and the Church is circular reasoning. I want evidence, not dogma.

• Happy Conference!
    April 4, 2008 10:12 a.m.

I can see why the LDS Church chooses to market themselves. There are many, many wonderful people in the Church, and some good values are taught.

Growing up in the Church, I learned to be kind, honest, and to stand up for those who are being treated unfairly. Unfortunately, that was also the reason I had to leave.

To those who are still members, enjoy your conference.

• Marketer
    April 4, 2008 10:05 a.m.

In the LDS church we believe all knowledge and technological advancement comes from God. If God gives us the technology to mass communicate, why shouldn't we use it for his purposes and reach people more effectively than ever. After the initial contact we can teach each individual in a personal way.

• firststone
    April 4, 2008 10:04 a.m.

Very convincing ads. I'm converting.

• Re: Slick
    April 4, 2008 10:05 a.m.

If the LDS Church is for profit only why not increase tithing to 50%?

• filth
    April 4, 2008 9:54 a.m.

It's the same ones, every time, every time there is a story about the church, the same obsessed people get on here and give their snipes and filthy two cents. Your hate is so obvious and out of place that you actually do a dis-service to whatever point you're trying to make.

We've heard it all, we've disputed it all, take your anger to Darfur and fight some real evil people and do some good in the world.

• dear Truth?
    April 4, 2008 9:49 a.m.

obviously YOU CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH

sorry, I just call'em like I see'em

• Eternal
    April 4, 2008 9:49 a.m.

"Some things that are true are not very useful."
    -Apostle Boyd K. Packer

"Some Truths are best left unsaid..."
    -Apostle Russell M. Nelson

• Re: Crathes
    April 4, 2008 9:52 a.m.

Man i'm sorry but you have no idea what you are talking about. First off the city creek development is being donated by outside money from members with in the faith. The church has said that no tithing will be used for that project. Second, the church has done more to feed the poor and clothe the naked than almost any organization in the world. The humanitarian effort in the church is one of the most incredible things i've ever seen. Get your facts straight. Read into things more before you go on making ridiculous comments.

• Blue
    April 4, 2008 9:46 a.m.

Broken people are humble people. Its the humility that allows a person to hear the truth. Didn't Jesus teach the broken people?

• James
    April 4, 2008 9:40 a.m.

I wouldn't necessarily critique those "Family" T.V. spots the Church used to run. In Puerto Rico most anyone we talked to had both seen them and liked them.

• Oren
    April 4, 2008 9:39 a.m.

For those of you thinking one side is "selling" and you're not "buying". You seem to have missed the point. No one is selling anything. It's free for the price of listening and making a decision.

• Dave
    April 4, 2008 9:30 a.m.

The Commitment Pattern taught to missionaries in the MTC is the best sales training I ever had.

You have to be able to sell yourself as a missionary and that the message you have is worth the time they'll invest by inviting you into their home. That's where the selling stops because you don't have to sell the truthfullness of the actual message itself, the Spirit testifies of the truth of the message to those who are ready to hear it.

Humility is the key folks, if you're here posting negative things you should find better things to do than to try and tear down the good around you. Try and see how many people you can get to smile at you today for a change instead of always worrying about yourselves and how bad things are for you.

• To Dean
    April 4, 2008 9:34 a.m.

"Jesus didn't hire a marketing firm"

Sorry, he did, they're called missionaries and lay workers. Best PR anyone could get.

• ...the forest for the trees
    April 4, 2008 9:24 a.m.

I can't believe that many of you can't see the point of the marketing. This isn't a new idea to propogate one's beliefs. And this isn't a substitution for one-to-one interaction. The "about the numbers" comment is highly irresponsable, and demonstrates a lack of vision and dare I say a lack of conviction.
    The church and its members have nothing to hide. From what I understand God is not a respector of persons, if this is His Church then why wouldn't He want all His children to participate in it?

• Former Catholic
    April 4, 2008 9:28 a.m.

I used to have a problem with a lot of things in "religion" as a whole. Go to church, say confession, do the Rosary as many times as the Priest told you for pennance, and go on your merry way because a Man has Absolved You from your sins? It just didn't feel right to me anyway. Well one day I ordered a Book of Mormon, it sat on my book shelf for about 8 years, then I called the Missionaries in 1994. They showed me where Jesus was in the Book of Mormon (3rd Nephi 11 page 427) I read from there to the end of the book and the beginning to 3rd Nephi 11 in a week, I couldn't put it down! The Spirit hit me so hard I felt the Holy Ghost's POWER, REAL POWER for the first time in my life! After tackling smoking and some doctrinal questions I was baptized and haven't looked back, although I went through a disfellowshipment for a time. But through that I LEARNED WHAT REPENTANCE and FORGIVENESS FROM THE SAVIOR and what the Atonement IS REALLY ABOUT! I am Grateful for "Truth Restored"!

• Ernest T. Bass
    April 4, 2008 9:21 a.m.

Will the Book of Abraham be discussed as part of 'truth' restored?

• bottom line
    April 4, 2008 9:28 a.m.

It always gets down to either Joseph Smith was telling the truth or was lying.

• HeSaid
    April 4, 2008 9:21 a.m.

He said be wise as serpents and harmless as doves.

We must keep up with the times. I think the man upstairs will use any good honest means to get the message out. Internet, Marketing, Missionaries, and good examples.

A religion that doesn't require the sacrifice of all earthly things never can produce faith sufficient unto life eternal.

If you want you don't want life eternal then maybe an hour long meeting is right for you or maybe a drive-thru church. I hear they have some in California.

• when the trouble starts
    April 4, 2008 9:27 a.m.

Mormons have their "truth."

Mainstream Christians have their "truth."

Trouble occurs when things overlap and the mistake of proselytism takes over.

• JWK
    April 4, 2008 9:17 a.m.

History of the Church. It makes sense that it should be 'Gods' as later it states in Genesis 'let us go down' indicating more than one. Also, I learned several years ago that the word for God, Elohim, is a plural word in Hebrew.

• CougarKeith
    April 4, 2008 9:13 a.m.

As a 13 year Convert from the Buffalo,NY area, I can say I knew "Truth had been taken from the earth", it's right in the NEW TESTAMENT in Acts 3:21, and Paul Warns the people in Galations 1:6-12! This was written in the 1st century for the people in the first century! Then in Rev 14:6 an Angel is seen Having the everlasting Gospel to preach to them on the earth? Figure it out along with the other 20 or so scriptures warning of the "Falling Away" and "False Teachers" IN THE 1ST & 2ND CENTURY! Even Jesus Warns the apostles and people in the gospels, and their are scriptures in the OLD TESTAMENT like Amos 8:11-12. It was a hard thing for me to believe HF & Son would appear to a 14 year old boy, but after careful study and coming to a knowledge the Book of Mormon was OF GOD or the Devil, I was and am willing to bet my life on which one of them it was from. I KNOW "Truth Has Been Restored" to the earth, because an Apostasy did take place, authority was lost, and it has been Restored. I KNOW IT!

• Wrong
    April 4, 2008 9:17 a.m.

Dean - The world markets sex and materialism in very slick and deceptive ways. The marketing program described is simply to get people to inquire. Then the face to face personal approach is used.

As far as truth goes, each person receives truth in different ways. That is why there is a 'line upon line' approach to teaching truth. Even in the days of the New Testament, Paul told members of the gospel that they were fed 'milk' because they were not ready to receive 'meat.'

There is no difference in today's world. They must understand fundamentals before they can move on. As one who went through this approach I can say that had I known everything up front I may not have joined with the church because I would not have been able to digest the 'meat.' I took the 'milk' and over time was able to digest more. Feast upon the words of the prophets. In time, the little things understood give way to greater understanding.

• re: Dean
    April 4, 2008 9:14 a.m.

Have you ever seen those young men in white shirts and ties walking around in pairs? Or a picture of the 12 men that help lead the church- aka the 12 apostles... yes, Chirst is still commissioning "apostles"- literally.
    The marketing ad is made to spark interest. It's a promotional tool designed to get people to talk with the missionaries or friends the next time they have a chance. One can't just see the advertisement and go get baptized. That's a very interactive and personal process.

As to being deceptive? Once baptized there's a lot more required of a person than going to meetings and paying tithing; and things won't ever "take care" of themselves. That requires hard work.

• Mr. Brandt
    April 4, 2008 9:07 a.m.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is exactly what it claims to be - truth restored. If this marketing campaign helps people come in contact with the Church, or to want to better their situation or understand life's "terrible questions," then I say go for it. We need to use every appropriate means to teach people the gospel, and I think this is appropriate. The people in the ads aren't acting - they are honest and sincere in what they say. They aren't selling anything - they're sharing their beliefs. What could be more genuine than that?

• FYI
    April 4, 2008 9:08 a.m.

Just so you are aware, the Church does have programs for problems with addictions etc. They are very helpful.

• Ernest T. Bass
    April 4, 2008 9:08 a.m.

McBaptised: missionary work is marketing.
    It is so true

• Anonymous
    April 4, 2008 9:00 a.m.

What I have observed from the Mormon church is that it appears to be "restoring" itself daily.

This is of course, fine but it seems to me the bottom line "truth" in the Mormon church is and always will be:

Either one solitary man was telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth about seer stones, hats, disappearing plates, white salamanders, etc. or -
    made the entire thing up.

• Slick
    April 4, 2008 8:58 a.m.

Don't forget, we get their 10% too. I'm beginning to believe the church is actually profit based.

• re: Dean (resp fr diligentdave)
    April 4, 2008 8:58 a.m.

Dean said: Jesus did not hire a marketing firm. His ministry was personal, one at a time. That is why he commissioned "apostles" - literally, people "sent forth" to minister one at a time the way he did.

This mass marketing campaign is evidence that the Church doesn't care about individuals. If they did, they would "market" one at a time the way Jesus did."

Dean, apostles today do minister in many instances, "one at a time". And "caring about individuals"? We DO "market", if you will, "one at a time". We have over 50,000 missionaries out worldwide contacting individuals and families.

Revelation from God in our time tells us-

"Therefore, go ye into all the world; and unto whatsoever place ye cannot go ye shall send, that the testimony may go from you into all the world unto every creature."

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 84:62)

This ("mass marketing message") is part of the "sending".

On a much lightr note and 'Tongue-in-Cheek' - this advertising effort goes along with Calvin Grondahl's humorous Mormon cartoon book title, "Marketing Precedes The Miracle".

• Stay Away... PLEASE...
    April 4, 2008 9:00 a.m.

We don't need Mormon lies and mythology expounded. There is absolutely no proof of your "doctrine."

"These people" hate all other religions and sacred places of worship. The ONLY interest you have in non-mormon people is in converting them. If you won't get the conversion... you despise them.

• History?
    April 4, 2008 8:58 a.m.

Wasn't it said that "history is the version of truth that survived." Sometimes a person has to look beyond the various accounts of history to make their decisions and judgments.

• Christopher Jones-Newprt Beach,
    April 4, 2008 8:55 a.m.

I look forward to seeing the results of this campaign--However I am continually disappointed that the Church doesn't make greater use of that magnificent document "The Proclamaion on the Family". Why not reprint that Nationally. Talk about a profound statement of Mormon Doctrine----Wow!

• My observation on those who join
    April 4, 2008 8:50 a.m.

My observation on those who join the LDS church (I am a member, been on a mission, etc.):

Like this statement or not, I believe it is true...those who join are USUALLY "broken" or "defective" in some way. Now many of you will write back and tell me I'm wrong. Of course there are many exceptions. I've lived 14 years outside of Utah and seen a number of people join the church. I think almost all of them joined because they thought it could help them financially or emotionally somehow (this was certainly true in Thailand, years ago as a missionary). They almost all had serious issues. "Regular" people simply are not interested.

The other thing I wanted to say is about the comment on the "whole truth" being presented. I have now been "exposed" to many portions of the missing information and I would say to anyone contemplating joining...dig into the history and doctrines yourself. I'm not saying don't join, but be careful, you are NOT being told the whole story, especially about early church history and "foundational" events. The REAL stories are still good ones, but what you are told is sanitized.

• Dear Dean,
    April 4, 2008 8:39 a.m.

You bring up a great point. It would be nice if the Church could commission people to "go forth", and minister to people one at a time. That sounds like what I did. Paying my own way, knocking on thousands of doors, and speaking to thousands of people, bearing my testimony in person, one on one. That sounds to me like the missionary program. It's not about the numbers, it's about the people and the lives that are changed.

• Crathes
    April 4, 2008 8:36 a.m.

I thought Elder Ballard claimed the Mormon church was not "selling" anything. If that were the case, why the need for a marketing campaign? If the Mormon church leaders were really inspired, why the need for marketing experts, testing, etc.? Could not their prophets determine what will work best? Are they too busy with their mall? And why would Jesus what $1.5 bil spent on a mall? Is that what His church and followers would do with money? Or, would they feed the poor, clothe the naked, etc.?

In any case, if the church is so great, why the need to sell it at all?

• Robert from NC
    April 4, 2008 8:14 a.m.

There is a saying, "He who knows not, and knows NOT that he knows not, is a fool, shun him. He who knows NOT and KNOWS that he KNOWS not, can be taught, teach him. He who knows, and KNOWS that he knows, is wise, follow him."

Before I converted to the LDS church 30 years ago, I was in the group of fools who didn't know much about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I felt something was essentially wrong with the religion I had grown up with. I had fallen away many times only to come back and recieve very little for my trouble. It seemed to me that in reality the people who claimed to be "Good Christians" were often more evil than the people who didn't go to church.

Since I have been a member of the LDS Church I have recieved help, love, and guidance from my fellow members. If a person wants to know what heaven is like go to the LDS church, learn the truth, and fellowship with some of the sweetest, smartest, caring people I have ever known.

• Dean
    April 4, 2008 8:06 a.m.

This mass marketing campaign is evidence that the Church doesn't care about individuals. If they did, they would "market" one at a time the way Jesus did. Instead, this mass marketing approach reveals that the Church is a big business, and it is all about the mass numbers. You are just a number to the Church and to the god they try to sell you.

And it is deceptive. They target people with problems and addictions, but they don't have a proven program for helping people with these things. Instead, they just claim that if you attend your meetings and pay your tithing, everything will take care of itself. That isn't true. I know from personal experience.

• Naha
    April 4, 2008 7:56 a.m.

I am grateful for the restored truths of the Gospel. I believe the Bible as it came directly from the original writers. However multiple translations and the Nicean Council have contributed to "plain and precious" teachings, principles, and doctrine being altered or omitted. Revelation and restoration has corrected that. Truth is available for all.

• re:truth
    April 4, 2008 7:56 a.m.

Are you referring to truths that were left out or peoples conclusions on historical facts. Certainly everything that Joseph Smith did or said is not taught in Sunday School. Some of it is very controversial and we have to in many cases try and connect dots. Depending upon the lenses you choose to look through will determine what dots you'll choose to connect. There is no such thing as unbiased history. Everyone has an agenda and everyone has a point to emphasize. So...History is a very poor way to to really determine if Joseph is a Prophet. You can pick up histories and reach different conclusions. The truth of the matter is that he either saw the vision or he lied. He translated the Book of Mormon form gold plates or he didn't. Revelation not history (slanted or not) is the only sure source.

• Ha!
    April 4, 2008 7:40 a.m.

I miss those old ads that ended with "brought to you by... THE MORMONS".

and why mormons.org? Wasnt there a movement a couple years ago that mormons wanted to be called LDS? Yet, they adopt the Mormon Times and others names. Goodness!

• DeLaval Milker
    April 4, 2008 7:34 a.m.

It's interesting to hear it all put in terms more relevant to a corporation or political campaign. Cold and impersonal numbers. Could 'ad buy' money be better used somewhere else?
    And this truth...as the Catholic noted above, for that person at least it wasn't lost. Yet it is called truth, this elusive quantity. Many claim it, yet it manifests itself differently among all those who do.

• ScottAZ
    April 4, 2008 7:32 a.m.

I am very much looking forward to seeing the ad. The best way that we can draw people to the Truth is to live the Truth every day. For me, my interest in the Church was greatly inluenced by the people in the Church, their examples of genuinely striving to live the Gospel every day...not just Sundays. My hope is that this ad will lead many to investigate the Church.

• Nick
    April 4, 2008 7:31 a.m.

Since all religions are based on selling something, it's no surprise that religion turns to marketing experts to help sell their products.

It's a beautiful morning. I'm going to enjoy it and leave superstitious beliefs to the marketers and their customers.

I'm not buying any of it.

• Truth?
    April 4, 2008 7:17 a.m.

Please be careful when using the word truth. People expect you to do what you say. Don't forget accidentally to tell the whole story. People are hurt when they discover later how much of the truth was left out; when they were taught the gospel like me. So much of the history was left out. Please don't lie to me anymore.

• Mohan
    April 4, 2008 7:12 a.m.

This is a great approach. Before you can convey a message to anyone you need to first gain their interest and their attention. How many are there who never understood how much truth had been lost, or who have no idea where to turn for answers to questions they always thought were unanswerable? First, get a persons attention, then teach them. To anyone who has never heard the message of the restoration, take this opportunity, come discover what you have been missing. Find out for yourself. I thing this is a great campaign that will continue to achieve wonderful results.

• Mayhem Mike
    April 4, 2008 7:08 a.m.

I think the Church is "spot on" with this advertising approach. So many people are searching for answers to life's tough challenges and they need to know that others, with similar questions, have found peace. If, after viewing the ads, people only learn more about the Church's doctrines and gain a better understanding of us, as a people, the program will have been a success.

• Mahonri
    April 4, 2008 6:59 a.m.

This is great. Now I will be able to get accurate inforamation from LDS sources rather than having to go to the anti-mormons for accurate historical records and photocopies.

• Joseph
    April 4, 2008 6:43 a.m.

Finally! No scripts! Yes, let the people tell it. That is the most powerful. The bit about better retention is silly though. That is up to the members to do. Not some hands-off ad campaign. Christians reach out to other who are different than them.

• McBaptized
    April 4, 2008 5:57 a.m.

As a convert to the LDS church (who also happened to marketing major), I have to admit I was surprised to read an article that talks about missionary work in marketing terms.

Suddenly it felt like I was studied, tested, segmented, targeted and "sold" something.

For me, conversion was an intensely personal and spiritual matter that motivated me to make many substantial changes in my life -- and as New Year's resolutions have repeatedly shown, real change isn't the easiest thing to get most of us to do.

But I after I recovered from my initial surprise, I saw the wisdom in this approach. Different groups have varying concerns, and varying ways they should be approached. Tithing is a sacred sacrifice and should be used prudently, and producing and pouring generic ads over an entire population probably isn't always the most efficient use of resources.

And just as inspiration can prompt us to visit with a stranger or a friend, I'm sure it can prompt us to use our education to build the kingdom as well.

Still, for me it is like what they say about the making of sausages... and I'm not sure I want to know. :-(

• best wishes
    April 4, 2008 5:40 a.m.

Now that this campaign has been successfully tested in the US, as an european I hope soon or later something like that will take place overseas too. Dan

• cradletograveCatholic
    April 4, 2008 1:26 a.m.

I've never felt the truth was lost.

• Tom
    April 4, 2008 1:07 a.m.

I think that these ads are great. I have seen them and they are 100 times better than our old "isn't it about time?" commercials which only June and Ward Cleaver could actually relate to. These are real, hard hitting, and meaningful, and I think people will respond. Kudos to the missionary department on this.