Sports

BYU basketball: Cougars send seniors out as winners, MWC champions

Comments

• Re: Re: Objective fan
    March 7, 2008 7:49 p.m.

Hurtful, intended to be hurtful, it doesn't matter because the comment doesn't fall under either category. Here's a term that might resonate with you, though, 'hypocrite.'

You claim Ute fans are liable for inappropriate behavior, yet you send out two volatile posts filled with insults and disparaging remarks. Does that make any sense to you?

If that's the alternative to trying to be an objective fan, then I will pass. Bitterness and hate for the other side isn't going to win you anymore games, but it sure can say a lot about one's character.

• re: re: a test
    March 7, 2008 4:21 p.m.

Your 5th grade girlfriend?
    Please don't tell me that the Utah fans still don't dream about the so called "glory" days under Majerus and a few good seasons in football?

The fact remains, the MWC has a horrible set up and unless they begin to get better national coverage, excuse me, let's start with better regional coverage, no one is really going to care too much about the MWC teams. So, for now BYU is the dominating school in the conference that is standing on the outside looking in.

• swift
    March 7, 2008 4:11 p.m.

To Tavernari...I apologize. I slammed you relentlessly at the beginning of the year because of your shot selection. Now you're playing like an all around star. Way to fill up all of the stat sheet. You can defend too. Great job.
    To Heath Schroyer...shut the heck up. You're a nutcase on the sideline. I sat 4 rows up to your left last game and you're a Boylin clone. Show some control. How do you expect your players to play with poise and control when you need a straight jacket. Hint: Let your guys make a few mistakes on the floor without getting the hook. They're playing scared and looking over their shoulder. You need some coaching coaching.

• RE: objective fan
    March 7, 2008 12:59 p.m.

I didn't say it was hurtful, I said it was "intended to hurt". If I was to lable the comment I would call it clueless, myopic, ridiculous, delusional...something like that. Oh, and objective fan, choose sides or sit down. This game is not for you. We can go to service to get preached too.

• a test
    March 7, 2008 12:20 p.m.

Told you so.

• re: re: a test
    March 7, 2008 12:13 p.m.

Fine, chew on this one for a while instead, Kepkay driving hard for a layup in the waning seconds when down by three. That's basketball for you.

It looks like the school with the most talent among all of the non-elite conference schools doesn't seem to have the intelligence to match. In football or basketball.

Gymnastics though, well that's another story.

• Objective fan Re: ute stud punk
    March 7, 2008 12:08 p.m.

Sarcastically implying Sean Green is an MVP over Plaisted is hurtful? Geez, what is this world coming to? I love the attitude of calling out Ute fans for their inappropriate behavior, and then going on to label them as "3rd graders" and "punks." That sure seems appropriate (sarcasm).

Come on, fans on both sides need to get some class. It is athletics we're discussing here. Congrats to the Cougs, and for the sake of our local interests let's hope the Utes come around soon.

• Re: a test
    March 7, 2008 10:47 a.m.

You still dream about that? Geee!! I still dream about my 5th grade girlfriend. Get over it, we're talking basketball

• a test
    March 7, 2008 10:10 a.m.

Lets see if this gets under Utah fan skin.

FOURTH AND 18!

Have a nice day (is that sarcastic or sincere?)

• Hey ute fan
    March 7, 2008 9:55 a.m.

Hows you're team doing this year? It shows how pathetic you are to trash on the cougs when your own teams can't back you up. How bout some kudos for the cougs or maybe even cheering for them to go deep into the tourney to make the MWC look good, you know just like you asked coug fans to do for you when you went dancing and the cougs didn't. C'mon step up, practice what you preach.

• RE: utah stud is a punk
    March 7, 2008 9:49 a.m.

You silly ute fan pretending to be sarcastic, looks like you have fellow fan who believes you. But then thats typical 3rd grade behavior. Say something stupid intended to hurt and then when somebody calls you on it you pretend that it was a joke. I detest you kind of punks, always pushing buttons to get reactions, then playing the innocent- I-was-just-joking- routine. Please keep cheering for utah.

• Re: wow
    March 7, 2008 7:08 a.m.

3-10 is still not good enough for someone that gets his education paid for for playing basketball. You dont have to get so defensive on it, thats just the truth. His shooting will hurt and you will lose some games. It is what it is.

• NCAA rep
    March 6, 2008 11:00 p.m.

let's see our Cougs win a few tournament games for a change. We can't seem to win outside the MC.

• wow
    March 6, 2008 10:41 p.m.

PLAISTED has stepped up every game when it counts with free throws.. so I guess we will see when the tourny rolls around huh? I would like to see you step up with 5 seconds left and be down by 1 pt. what the heck are you talking about with giving him the breaks? go cheer for the utes

• Sarcasm?
    March 6, 2008 9:29 p.m.

How can you be sarcastic when all Ute fans believe it?

• re:Anonymous.7:14
    March 6, 2008 7:55 p.m.

We can give him all the breaks in the world until it's tourney time, and Cougs lose by 3 points and he goes 3-7 from the line.

• RE: Anonymous
    March 6, 2008 7:45 p.m.

I said that it should be a concern, I didnt bring him down. He had a great game but it might hurt the Coogies in the future.

• Swept the Utes
    March 6, 2008 7:38 p.m.

We swept the Utes in Football and Basketball, back to back years. And we have won back to back Basketball and Football titles.

• Anonymous
    March 6, 2008 7:14 p.m.

Trent Played GREAT LAST NIGHT. He rebounded well and went to the basket strong. GIVE HIM a break with his free throws. The team won and plaisted had a great double double. ALL YOU want to do is bring him down and remind us of his first have free throws. BOTTOm LINE is ... BYU has a great inside game and great shooters. GIVE THE BIG GUY a break and give him some credit. He is BY FAR the best big man IN CONFERENCE and BYU should be thankful they have him.

• Former Ute
    March 6, 2008 5:46 p.m.

"better to go and lose than sit home with a near .500 record?" I guess Cougars would know a lot about that, huh? Going and losing in post-season play is the Cougar story in basketball and football. Oh year, that's better.

• Re: Anonymous
    March 6, 2008 4:31 p.m.

I am no Utah fan but dont they teach you some humility at that school you go cheer for? You win with class and you cheer with class. And, I'd be careful with the use of words -- cuz 'always' is a pretty long time. Just a couple years ago, that BYU team of yours wasnt as superior as you might think.

• Anonymous
    March 6, 2008 4:03 p.m.

Utah is an exceptional school when it comes to being mediorcre! BYU will always be superior. We will keep making news so you can keep posting your resentful comments on our blogs.

• Right on Ute Stud
    March 6, 2008 3:44 p.m.

Ya, Sean Green is probably the best player in the conference right now, Cummard is just a step below him.

• Re: Go Coogs
    March 6, 2008 3:23 p.m.

Nice work all around? I think you gotta look at the whole picture. While he had a good game, you gotta look at his dismal free throw shooting yet again. Below average if that. Good job overall, but the picture is a little tainted because of that. Will cost the Cougars a game in the tourney. Bye bye in the first round

• I really want to know
    March 6, 2008 3:14 p.m.

Does anyone know if Craig Thompson came out from under his "rock" to persent the trophy?

It wasn't in the paper, and I know he was too afraid to present the football trophy.

If not, can anyone tell me what he does to command his pay?

• Ute Stud and all the MWC whiners
    March 6, 2008 3:05 p.m.

Some guy named Al Bundy (obvious a real stake president's name to the 1980's Married with Children fans) posted as a Stake President yesterday, inviting the Utes to come play in their Stake Tourney, and many Utes were upset and "offended".

The offense should be one of being too gullible.

I think that on both sides of this "holy war" there are way too many who take this "way" over the top--too serious, and are quick to offend.

Geeze, folks. it's a game and if we are going to let the successes and failures of college aged athletes get in our craw, maybe some of us need to chill a bit, take a toke from our smoke, and sit back a realize that whether BYU or Utah wins does not make "YOU" a better or lesser person. Just because your sweatshirt is Red or Blue, you still have a job, your home, your spoiuse, your families and your values.

Hey, BYU, go as deep in NCAA as you can this year, because it makes every team in the MWC look better next year. I hope both BYU and Utah make it to BCS Bowls and win over the next 5-years.

• Go, Coogs!
    March 6, 2008 2:35 p.m.

Trent Plaisted is a class act. Responded politely to Taylor's comment and didn't take the bait to escalate the situation. Went to work with 23 points, 11 rebounds, 2 steals, a block and an assist. Good job, Trent, and nice work all around. It's good to be a BYU fan!

• heehaw
    March 6, 2008 2:26 p.m.

U so funny Re: Utah stud. We (One post) bit so hard on your funny sarcasm. U under my skin: that must be the nauseating sickness I've had this week.

• B YU Fan
    March 6, 2008 2:24 p.m.

I echo the comment above regarding Brandon Ewing, he is a solid player and his post game comments were classy. Also in regards to the Taylor comments... It was no big deal; it was purely said in fun..I can't imagine Plaisted took any offense by the comment so I don't think us as fans should either. It's not like he flipped Trent off (Joe Glenn) or something

• Re:Former Ute
    March 6, 2008 2:07 p.m.

I think they'll win an NCAA Tourney Game

• BlueCoug
    March 6, 2008 2:01 p.m.

It's always fun to see Ute fans trying to bait the BYU faithful into a war of words; and pretty pathetic to see how many BYU fans take the bait... bottom line... BYU is back to where it should be in football and basketball with an even brighter future ahead... Utah is back to playing spoiler :) personally, as a Utah graduate/lifetime BYU fan, I'd rather see Utah fighting for conference championships with BYU every year, it would make beating them that much sweeter!!!
    Go Cougs! 80 minutes of tough D in the big dance and you'll be dancing in the Sweet 16!

• Look out
    March 6, 2008 1:56 p.m.

Man maybe the Cougars can win a tournament game...maybe NOT. OVERRATED.

• Re: Utah stud
    March 6, 2008 1:36 p.m.

If you really think a Ute fan is serious when claiming Sean Green should be named MVP over Plaisted, then you bit, and you bit hard. Is it me or is it too easy to get under a cougar's skin?

• Re: Utah stud
    March 6, 2008 1:34 p.m.

It's funny for all the talk we hear about BYU and their superior educational opportunities, they still can't seem to separate sarcasm from truth.

• re: Ryan
    March 6, 2008 1:19 p.m.

I'm guessing you are a Utah fan.

Well, I to agree that it is time that BYU wins a NCAA tournament game, and I it is going to happen this year!!

As for Utah, atleast you have gymnastics!

GO COUGS!!

• Good Job.
    March 6, 2008 12:24 p.m.

Good Job. I predicted the "Wyoming by 3" Sorry to get your panties in a bunch byu fans. Now beat TCU and win some in Vegas and NCAA tourney. I'll cheer for ya if you make it to the sweet sixteen.

• re: former ute
    March 6, 2008 12:19 p.m.

better to go and lose than sit at home with a near .500 record.

• JuniorF
    March 6, 2008 12:00 p.m.

BYU ALL THE WAY!!

Love reading the comment on J Taylor...Next time: Just come and PLEASE LEAVE YOUR MOUTH AT HOME!!

ON TO LAS VEGAS...BABY!! After TCU of course!!

• Former Ute
    March 6, 2008 11:54 a.m.

In the past, back when the Utes were coached by Majerus and several MWC teams (including BYU) were competitive, the MWC had a national presence and winning the conference was significant. Now that the MWC has taken the conference away from the fans and the level of competition has dropped (especially the Utes), BYU winning the MWC is no more than "big frog, little pond." Cougars will crow about it, of course, but no one but their fans thinks they can even win in the first round of the NCAAs.

• Great to be a Cougar
    March 6, 2008 11:39 a.m.

Every week naysayers made dire predictions for the Cougars in both football and basketball. Though it was never believable, it was especially fun to watch the Utes try to back up their talk. But when all was said and done, the Cougars got it done.

The more other teams/fans talked, those teams/fans just showed how they know BYU is the team to beat. With the cougars on top of the mountain, nothing has changed. They are still the team to beat. They will be the favorites to win the conference in football and basketball, again next year.

Oh, it's great to be a Cougar.

BTW- Taylor made his comments in jest, when a reporter was egging him on about what he had to say to BYU. That was in good fun, as again, he realized how absurd it was to think after beating Utah, that he should now call out BYU. But laughing as he said it, he went ahead and joked. It was no big deal, and out of context probably helped Plaisted to focus. Whatever works! Taylor will probably laugh at the next reporter, instead of take the bait, even if it is just to humor him.

• top hero
    March 6, 2008 11:31 a.m.

Ute fan, you're very funny. Go Cougs! I'll be there for ya when we can't get double digit wins (thankfully those days are gone) and I will ALWAYS expect a win in the big dance. No McNamara this year so let's do this!

• Re: Ute Stud
    March 6, 2008 11:22 a.m.

Ya of course he is, 20 points against a team who hasn't won a conference game all year. Ya of course that makes him the MVP. Where was he when they needed the big shots to win all those close games that they lost this year? If he was the MVP they maybe would have one a couple of thoses.At least Plaisted hit 2 big free throws to put BYU ahead of New Mexico and win the game. Also noone even talks about Trent for MVP. Anyone who watches BYU basketball knows the L. Cummard is by far a better choice for MVP.

• Sean Green?
    March 6, 2008 11:15 a.m.

Sean Green? Against Colorado State? Scoring 20 against a 6 win team (0 wins in conference) is a real accomplishment! Is it just me or are Ute fans consistently commenting on BYU articles? Read about your own team or at least make logical comments.

• We are the Champions, again
    March 6, 2008 11:18 a.m.

That's right!

• scary
    March 6, 2008 11:05 a.m.

BYU needs a shut down point guard to make it to the sweet 16.

• JImmy
    March 6, 2008 10:46 a.m.

It seems like yesterday that Urban and Giac were supposed to lead the Ute's to glory for years to come. Whoops, so much for that! Go Rose and Bronco! Not a good year to be a Ute fan:(

• UTE STUD
    March 6, 2008 10:44 a.m.

Plaisted who? Sean Green dropped over 20 points on Colorado State! MWC MVP! Sean Green should be the MVP Plaisted? Lets not kid ourselves

• Just me
    March 6, 2008 10:28 a.m.

Is it me, or is Brandon Ewing the classiest act in the MWC? He is always heaping praise on all of his opponents. Too bad he has no help at WYO - he would have been all MWC.

• Re: Wilson
    March 6, 2008 10:28 a.m.

I'm a BYU fan and I want the titles to keep coming. I just want a little entertainment and drama along the way. It's no fun if there is no competition. As for the "wave your arms comment" , the game was a blow out so that typically takes the crowd out of it. The Cougars were just taking care of business.

• Pedro
    March 6, 2008 10:31 a.m.

BYU will go to the sweet sixteen this year. You heard it first from Pedro. Vote for me when the Cougs make it that far.

• Boise Coug
    March 6, 2008 10:22 a.m.

Ya I completely spaced football, we won both football and basketball championships with underclassmen. The future looks very bright.

• Interesting...
    March 6, 2008 10:18 a.m.

Why was there no interview with Joseph Taylor after the game? I'd love to see who he warns next. "Watch out, my 3 fouls are coming for you!" Great idea calling out one of the best big guys in the country!

• WYO Cougar Fan
    March 6, 2008 10:05 a.m.

There is just nothing better for me in College Sports than a great Cougar Football & Basketball year. Both in the same year! It doesn't get any better than that. My BYU pride is soaring! Thanks Cougars!

• Ute Fan
    March 6, 2008 10:01 a.m.

But the cougars still are lousy, and their fans too...

Negativity Utes, let's keep the negativity!!!

• Ryan
    March 6, 2008 9:48 a.m.

Good. NOW WIN AN NCAA TOURNAMENT GAME!!!

• Oh yeah...
    March 6, 2008 9:41 a.m.

and don't forget their longest winning streak in the nation in football!

• re boring
    March 6, 2008 9:31 a.m.

How could it be boring, I am glad the cougs are walking away with the titles. It is fun to watch them beat up on the rest of the league, it reminds me of the 80's, the cougs are the class of the league. Keep the titles coming.

• Plaisted
    March 6, 2008 9:28 a.m.

He did have a good game but beware cougar fans. 3-10 from the line is going to be a concern

• Boise Coug
    March 6, 2008 9:21 a.m.

What can I say another conference championship in the book, Oh and by the way were packed with freshmen, sophmores and juniors, can you say five in a row. Where did the Utes go, What happened to Boylen for coach of the year.

• Wyoming by 3?
    March 6, 2008 9:03 a.m.

Where is that person who predicted this? It was a 20 point difference, with BYU destroying Wyoming. Please remind me to not talk to you when predicting the big dance.

The nice thing about this is that no matter what happens now, BYU will happily sit through this long off season knowing they defeated utah in football, swept them in bball, have the nations longest home court winning streak, and have conference championships all in the last two years! Ah, tis great to be on top again!

This makes life even greater than it already is!

• BLUE
    March 6, 2008 9:00 a.m.

THE COUGARS ARE BACK!!!!

• Wilson
    March 6, 2008 9:04 a.m.

Hey guys, take it easy on Taylor. He just wanted Plaisted to know he was there. I'm sure if he never said that then Plaisted would have had no idea who he was... Even now I'm sure Plaisted was wondering if he even made it to the game. Poor bugger... haha!

RE: Boring..

Get over it, there's nothing YOU can do to change that! Someone's gotta lead the MTN West.. Might as well be BYU!

• get real
    March 6, 2008 9:02 a.m.

forty something games in a row at the marriot center, They really should wave their arms behind the basket that just makes me sick that they didnt last night,

• wii
    March 6, 2008 8:56 a.m.

New game for PBS, Where in the world is Taylor? Attaboy Trent!

• Craig
    March 6, 2008 9:00 a.m.

Yeah ya dumb Cougar fans! Start waving your arms and maybe your team will start winning some championhsips . . . oh, wait.

• Idaho fan
    March 6, 2008 8:45 a.m.

I am really proud of the Cougars in all sports. I love the coaches too. They really have integerety and class. I hope they are there for a long time to come.

• fan
    March 6, 2008 8:42 a.m.

I think Vuk deserves more credit than he's received. He has been a solid part of this team for several years, don't discard him becasue of an injury. An article about him and his opportunities in Europe would be great. Des News give him some press!

• I was there
    March 6, 2008 8:39 a.m.

I am not a BYU fan but scored some tickets at work. I just wanted to comment on how lame the crowd was. Most places will stand up and waive their arms behind the opponents basket when they go to shoot freethrows. Cougar fans just sat there with their arms folded. Start serving some Red Bull or something.

• Plaisted I'm Coming
    March 6, 2008 8:36 a.m.

That comment was so overrated. J Taylor had a big grin on his face and was just showing some gamesmanship. Watching it on the MTN last night I had to laugh that the media blew that one up. BYU fan, but props to J Taylor. No harm intended and no harm done.

• Boring
    March 6, 2008 8:26 a.m.

This is getting boring watching BYU wrap up conference championships in football and basketball before the regular season is even over. The rest of the Mountain West needs to step it up and have some pride.

• What?
    March 6, 2008 8:17 a.m.

"Hey, Plaisted I'm coming from Wyoming. Watch Out. Boy those chairs are sure comfortable for most of the game. Guess I better keep my mouth shut."

• What about Vuc?
    March 6, 2008 8:06 a.m.

He didn't play last night because of an injury, but you'd think that Ivanovic could have at least been mentioned in an article about the seniors.

• Joe Taylor.
    March 6, 2008 8:08 a.m.

Now I know why you told Plaisted you were coming.

Otherwise, he would not have even known you were there.

Way to show it on the court.

• BB
    March 6, 2008 7:42 a.m.

Way to go Joseph Taylor of Wyoming. You really showed Trent who the better player is. Please don't call out any of our players again. When you told Trent you were comming, you weren't kidding. 2 points, 3 rebounds, 3 fouls. Trent's 23 points and 11 rebounds don't even come close to your numbers.

• C'mon
    March 6, 2008 7:25 a.m.

Let's go D-News reporters, you made a big deal about 'Tell Plaisted I'm coming" before the game, let's hear it for Plaisted after the game. If you don't play off that story now, you've failed jouralism 101!

• moonwalker
    March 6, 2008 7:25 a.m.

go cougars, and the best of luck!!!!!!!!

• Keith Suds
    March 6, 2008 7:18 a.m.

That was awesome, being there for the Champs. Tavs was great. We will be good next year too. We have so many good players, send some more of em in. NCAA's are waiting and so is Vegas Baby. Remember, what happens in Vegas, shoots us to the next level. They say you can't beat Vegas. BYU WILL BEAT VEGAS IN VEGAS. Hey Lonnie Kruges, ever heard of The B. Y. Cougs. Big LEE, Thats pretty good odds. Five seed baby. Oh Baby, It feels good to be in the Coagar Club! Tell Wayne Newton The Suds is coming to town.

• Champions!
    March 6, 2008 7:19 a.m.

We are proud of our Cougars! What makes this so sweet is you were picked to win the conference, so all year you've been playing with a huge target on your back, in addition to defending the home court. This is a sweet sweet championship. Your are ready to ADVANCE!

• WYO Cougar Fan
    March 6, 2008 6:20 a.m.

Oh what a happy day! I wonder if I dare wear my BYU apparel today here in Wyoming? I think I'll wear it with pride! Way to go Cougs what a season! What a year period for BYU Football and Basketball!

• Wolf
    March 6, 2008 5:32 a.m.

This team has dominated the conference and tied for the most wins in regular season--and I have only been able to see but a few games on TV. Clearly, the conference deal with the MTN is the worst. So we have the best of teams and the worst TV deal ever. If we'd been on TV as often as other ranked teams we would have a higher ranking too. Don't expect the NCAA tournament selection committee to give BYU a good seeding. It will be the same as usual with a 7 or 6 at best. BYU will need to play and not worry about they can't control.

• ChicagoCoug
    March 6, 2008 5:21 a.m.

Way to go, Cougars! Back-to-back, baby!

• JuniorF
    March 6, 2008 2:19 a.m.

"Tell Plaisted I'm coming," said by Taylor...RIGHT!! ANYWAYS, Great game by BYU and to Murdock & Burgess...GOOD JOB!!

• lindal
    March 6, 2008 12:10 a.m.

Way to Go Coogs, it's been a fabulous seaosn! Best of luck in the playoffs!