Utah's No. 1 for governing

• Anonymous
    March 4, 2008 7:44 p.m.

Not an American, I would love to be counted among the sheep and say sign me up for such a society which frequently comes at the top of the league when measuring all that is good.

As a political animal, its a real pity your remaining presidential campaigners did not highlight such positive political points as they opposed Mitt Romney.

In a so-called free society where discrimination is not cool, it is still cool to be anti mormon.

Could someone send me the missionaries? Please? Pretty please?

• no name
    March 4, 2008 6:52 p.m.

Um..SLC'er, you are right that Mr. Jefferson used the phrase "a wall of separation between church and state", but not for the purpose of expelling any thought of religion from our government.
    A small denomination of Baptists wrote to Mr. Jefferson fearing that if a state religion was set up by the government they would loose their rights to worship as they wanted to. In his answer to their letter, Mr. Jefferson quoted a famous Baptist minister, Roger Williams,who used the phrase "a wall of separation..." knowing that using the words of a famous minister that this little group revered would help ease their fears. In the letter you refer to, Mr. Jefferson wasn't saying that there could be no religious people in government, or no religious language, or symbols or even religious influence in government. He used the phrase to assure these people that our government would never create a state run church, which it hasn't. The headquarters of a church is here in Utah and naturally many of our government leaders belong to that church, so that may influence their decissions,but there is no state run church in this state or country.

• SLC'er
    March 4, 2008 6:48 p.m.

Well we differ on opinions then. Thank goodness for the 1st amendment and for these forums where multiple viewpoints can be expressed. I agree that the Church does not tell people how to vote, nor does it punish anyone for voting contrary to the Church's position. But I find it hard to argue that the Church is by far and away the biggest policy setter in the state and that many politicians vote in line with the Church's stated (or unstated) policies. You are right, these arguments could go on forever, we have our differences of opinion, I respect yours, good debate.

• Kita Kazoo
    March 4, 2008 6:49 p.m.

A lot of people in Utah do not feel heard by their government;they feel that their values are not being represented by their state legislators. So they feel unfairly taxed.

What is even more frustrating to them is that someone would just look at the financial bottom line and deem the state to be superior to other states, when in their opinion it is not. They feel the state is actually mismanaging funds by not meeting the needs of ALL the people.

They are also upset that those lucky few who do feel their interests are being nurtured are self congratulatory by an award which does not represent the whole picture.

They might say that Utah might do well at balancing the checkbook, but dinner is burning and the baby has been left out to play naked in the street.

• Re: SLC'er
    March 4, 2008 5:12 p.m.

I'm sorry, I just don't see how asking alco-pops to be sold only in state liquor stores is a big issue. I think the point was to protect kids. And as for the skybridge, I actually think the Church attracts more scrutiny. If a developer were going to put $2 billion into downtown, the city and state would be bending over backwards to keep them happy. As for immigration, we don't have the time to get into the minutiae of SB81 or HB171 and it would be difficult to apply the Church's 'position' to it because the position is so general. We could go around and around with this, but I will just reiterate my point that I made earlier: I have never known the Mormon Church to instruct any member to vote one way or another on ANYTHING, nor would the Church take any action against a member based on their voting record. I don't know what more can be said.

• Anonymous
    March 4, 2008 4:56 p.m.

Mexico will take this land back. So get use to your darker friends. We are here to stay. If you don't like it than go back to Europe!

• Utah
    March 4, 2008 4:55 p.m.

To many cops looking for trouble and you are it.
    It is called a quota
    They all have to arrest someone and lie about the arrest.
    Aparently they are paid for prosecutions and percentage of the fines
    Fines are out of site in Utah
    You would think this is Calif. with high paying jobs.
    The State is a Milker and you are the Milkee

• cbk
    March 4, 2008 4:32 p.m.

If there were Democrats in Utah, Utah would not be ranked as high.

• SLC'er
    March 4, 2008 4:28 p.m.

Re:SLC'er, how are those issues mentioned not substantive? While I might not drink those beverages, and i'm assuming you don't, it is the Church throwing its weight around and affecting other individuals' lives. And while I appreciate the Church's investment in downtown, that doesn't mean that leaders should sign off on their business plans, simply because they are the ones investing. I imagine a private business owner would be subject to much more scrutiny. Finally, to immigration - ah that topic that gets these blogger's hearts beating like 2 full bottles of Mt. Dew. Tell me how political leaders differed with the Church? The Church's only statement was asking for "compassion." We've hardly heard a peep about immigration during this session. Sounds like the legislators took the Church's advice.

• Re: SLC'er
    March 4, 2008 4:26 p.m.

Please explain how the immigration bill is a "good indication of Church involvement." The Church has simply asked that lawmakers remember we are dealing with real people here. I don't see any detailed policy statements or any indication whatsoever of what the Church might be advocating, except compassionate treatment of others, which is perfectly in line with their role as a religious organization as they "attend to their congregations" and all mankind, for that matter. This argument could go in circles for quite a while. My point is this - I have never known the Mormon Church to instruct any member to vote one way or another on ANYTHING, nor would the Church take any action against a member based on their voting record. I don't know what more can be said.

• Sal
    March 4, 2008 4:18 p.m.

I didn't like the way business was done in home country and I moved to THE US.
    If SLC'er feels that Utah has too many sheep he/she should move to any other 49 states that might have more wolves. How about go to Cuba? There, state and church is totally separated.

• AbeFroman
    March 4, 2008 4:13 p.m.

Touche SLC'er. Now I look a little foolish. Thanks.

My main sticking point, one that I probably could have stated clearly and with a little less arrogance, is that while the FF had a concept of "Seperation" it doesn't appear to be to the same severe degree that we project upon the concept today. There is ample reference to God and "Christian" ideals in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. I do not think they intended Christianity to be pushed upon all US citizens but I also don't believe they would have agreed with the utter abolishment of religion from every whit of public life. Which is why I think the phrase is often used cavalierly and frequently misapplied. In the end, while I agree with the intial concept, I don't like it's misapplication by those pushing a personal agenda (I'm not implicating you, SLC'er, in that statement).

However, it still appears nowhere in official written State documents except the Supreme Court Majority Opinion.

• Oppressive
    March 4, 2008 3:56 p.m.

Congratulations! I wish my state were as well managed as Utah, at least fiscally. On the other hand, I'm delighted to pay higher taxes to live in a state with a culture of open-mindedness instead of all those outdated and weird Utah traditions that stifle both members and non-members of the majority religion. Ugh.

• You are correct
    March 4, 2008 3:01 p.m.

The immigration bill is a good indication of CHURCH involvement. What a shame! Church leaping noses need to attend to their congregations and stay out of politics!

• Re: SLC'er
    March 4, 2008 2:46 p.m.

Skybridges and alco-pops? Let's move to something a little more substantive. Say, for example, the immigration debate. I don't see that the legislature has aligned at all with the Church's position on this issue. Your reference to Amendment 3 is also without much substance - at least ten other states also passed a similar amendment. Is the Mormon Church also controlling things in those states? Also, if the Church is going to dump nearly $2 billion into giving downtown a much needed facelift, I don't think pushing for a skybridge equates to influencing public policy. As for Leavitt's 'scripture study', I personally don't agree with it, but you still haven't identified specific instances of how those meetings affected public policy. Please provide something substantive.

• Michael-New Zealand
    March 4, 2008 2:50 p.m.

We have more sheep than you do and we could surely use some of what you got!!
    Our government is so poorly run the place is falling down around us after 9 years of left wing hate of anything decent! Read more if you doubt me.

• The True Ute
    March 4, 2008 2:36 p.m.

move somewhere else, yeah right. your only renting till you move to MISSOURI!!

• another reason
    March 4, 2008 2:29 p.m.

the report found that "the level of coordination between the governor's office and the Legislature goes beyond party loyalty."

perhaps they all have something else in common... which is ofen derided and cursed in this comment area....

• Math education is tops
    March 4, 2008 2:21 p.m.

Look around. The kids are taking Geometry in 8th grade! That is leaps and bounds above other states.

Someone that says math has been dumbed down since they were a kid hasn't been in a classroom lately. They are probably getting their info from Jon Stossel when he shows a school in ghetto NY and claims that is what is happening at our local schools.

• TO "To To Abe Froman"
    March 4, 2008 2:03 p.m.

My point wasn't whether Britain was a theocracy or not, but that the idea of separation of church and state was there, even if not written word for word in the Constitution.

The issue in Utah is not so much of a theocracy, but rather the way our republic is set up. Go to any part of this country where it is predominatly Mormon, Jewish, or whatever-- and you find that many laws coincide with their religion. This behavior is often misunderstood and thought to be a violation of "church and state" but in reality it isn't. That is where the confusion exists--the lack of understanding how our republic form of government works. This is where people get really technical, especially the ACLU.

• SLC'er
    March 4, 2008 1:45 p.m.

Re:SLC'er, first of all, thank you for your assumption. Secondly, the point of view I presented was not fact, more of a subtle hint of sarcasm that is edgy because it borders on truth or fact. Fact: The Governor, Utah State Legislature, and Utah Supreme Court and numerous local government agencies are the ones that truly ('really run') run the state. So, you are correct, that I can't provide examples of the LDS Church actually passing a bill or signing a veto or writing a majority opinion. However, it is also a fact that the Church is involved in many political decisions and that the majority of politicians set in motion the Church's desired policies. Or similarly, local politicians try to inject Church values and policies into state policy. Although everyone here knows its true, if you need some specific examples: Gov. Leavitt's 'seminary meetings'to inject scripture into public policy, the Church's interest in the skybridge, the Main St. Plaza fiasco, Amendment 3, Alco-pops. Those are some off the top of my head. Re-SLC'er, I'd love for you to provide some specific examples of when the Church has taken a position and Utah politicians haven't pushed it through.

• Just a thought
    March 4, 2008 1:41 p.m.

If you want to raise revenue in Utah, tax Jello and Diapers instead of cigarrettes and alcohol

• Tax Accountant
    March 4, 2008 1:31 p.m.

First of all to people like Philly, there is no need to shout. Utah is not your state anymore than it is mine. How dare you tell someone to move. We can all be here, and no one has claim to the land more than another.

That being said, I agree with you. I moved here from CA, and I got a raise in my take-home pay. I also pay less for gasoline tax and most other taxes, though I do pay a higher sales tax because groceries are not exempt here.

But seriously. I'm a tax accountant and that's no laughing matter. My research on Checkpoint shows that 19 states have higher income tax rates than UT, 14 have lower, and 15 have about the same. I know, that only adds up to 48 + UT makes 49. Oh well. TX isn't part of the union anyway =)

Bottom line: UT is nowhere near the top of the taxing states. Not even close. And this is only income. Try living in Cali, where the property taxes are outrageous (because the values are so high) and you have to pay CA state disability. Also, no city income taxes here.

• my two cents
    March 4, 2008 1:15 p.m.

I lived in a state with no income tax, but I paid close to 10% sales tax. My vehicle registration fees were the highest in the country for a while (may have changed by now), and my property taxes were 1/3 higher. I took a $200/week cut in take-home pay, but my standard of living went up. I think the vast majority of those ripping on the state are either lashing out at the influence of the dominant religion or are just opposed to all taxes and would complain anywhere they went.

• Re: SLC'er
    March 4, 2008 1:03 p.m.

SLC'er, I will assume that you are an educated person who wouldn't present a point of view as fact without strong supporting evidence (see SLC'er's first post). Please provide SPECIFIC and VERIFIABLE evidence for your claim. I truly am curious to hear your response. Yes, many Utahns have similar views on issues because of the religion to which they belong, but that is a far cry from your statement that our "state government is really run by a certain church". Again, please provide support for your claim that the Mormon church "runs" the state.

• philly
    March 4, 2008 1:02 p.m.

ALL OF YOU RIPPING ON UTAH SERIOUSLY NEED TO MOVE SOMEWHERE ELSE. I never paid a third or more of my paycheck to taxes and other "state/city" fees until I left Utah. My property tax is three times as much, car registration is twice as much, there is no food tax, but everything else is subject to state and community taxes at a much higher rate.
    My career will probably never take me back through Utah again, but it was a pretty great place to live while I was there. This recognition is only what some of us have known for years. This being that the state may not be perfect, but go ahead and try to find a better, less corrupt place anywhere.

• It would be nice
    March 4, 2008 12:29 p.m.

I don't know...I get irritated every time the laws dictating how much flavoring liquor can go in my mixed drink are made up by people who don't drink. It would be nice if the religious majority at least consulted a bartender before deciding how my Margarita is made when I go to a Mexican restaurant.
    Plus.. we have a mindbending conflict of interest problem in the legislature here in Utah that everyone seems to like to pretend isn't happening.

• SLC'er
    March 4, 2008 12:02 p.m.

Hey Jan Gates and Anonymous @ 11:42, thank you for your imput. I have been born and raised in the Beehive state. I'm 'dang' proud of it too. My ancestors were pioneers and arrived here in 1847. So I really don't think anyone has a right to tell me to leave. I love Utah and was simply criticizing the enormous influence that the Church has on public policy in Utah, to the extent that most local politicians look to the Church for guidance on various secular issues.

Additionally, AbeFroman - Jefferson was the one who coined the phrase "building a wall of separation between church and state." Jefferson isn't a founding father?? I think I did my research.

• Anonymous
    March 4, 2008 11:42 a.m.

Born and raise for 25 years in Utah. Lived away from Utah for the last 20 years. There is a stark difference in the economy in Utah (for the better) compared to where I live now and in other states around me. Moving back in the next year if I can sell my house in a state with an extrememly depressed economy with hurricane season fast approaching. My husband is alreayd in Utah with his new job and is kissing the ground he walks on because of the relief he already feels financially.
    If you live in Utah and are tired of the LDS influence, perhaps it's time to look for a place where you "think" the grass is greener. I dare you to try and find it.

• Anonymous
    March 4, 2008 11:26 a.m.

One should always be extremely suspicious of any group of people that believes in taxing food.

• Utah isn't best at Math Educatio
    March 4, 2008 11:24 a.m.

About a year ago I bought a vacuum cleaner because consumer reports by its criteria said it was the best vacuum available. It was great at picking up dirt and even had a light to indicate if there was still dirt being picked up in the carpet.

I wasn't very happy with the vacuum however. It was gear driven rather than belt driven. When my wife picked up a large object that caused the brush to not rotate, it damaged the gears. I thought no problem, I will replace the belt, but of course couldn't do it. What normally should have taken a few minutes for me to fix, I instead had to take it in for repair. Also the vacuum was very heavy, my wife didn't like it.

My point is, it is possible for Utah to appear the best governed, and we are based upon the criteria used, however if we actually are is debateable.

Math education in Utah given our demographics is the lowest in the nation. It is significantly lower in quality than when I went to school. People at work who have moved from out of state say Utah math is too easy for kids.

• Anonymous
    March 4, 2008 10:41 a.m.

We have the LOWEST tax rates of any of the states I have lived in.

I LOVE it here!

• Ernest T. Bass
    March 4, 2008 10:31 a.m.

Utah is one of the highest taxed states in the country. So much for true conservatism.

• To "To Abe Froman" - From AB
    March 4, 2008 10:17 a.m.

The Establishment Clause does prohibit Congress from establishing a national religion. However, a national religion does not mean a theocracy as implied by those who misuse the "seperation of chruch and state" phrase. True in Britain the King ran both the country and in finality, the church. However, Britain could never be considered a theocracy (a gov't run by religious heads) - it was a monarchy. The Establishment Clause was instituted to protect the gov't just as much as it was to protect religion. To say the state of Utah needs to honor "the seperation of church and state" because of the LDS church implies a church interferring in matters of state - not establishing a national, or state - if you will, religion. Thusly this is, and arguments like it are, out of the realm of The Establishment Clause.

• Jan Gates
    March 4, 2008 10:16 a.m.

Isn't it interesting that throngs of people move to the Great State of Utah every year, to raise their families, get good jobs, enjoy a family oriented culture etc.; then once they move here they start complaining about the very things that created the environment they CHOSE to move TO.

Once they are here, they begin a process to change this state to be what they just left.

• uhhhhh...
    March 4, 2008 9:53 a.m.

Best managed if you can manage to ignore the corruption and conflicts of interest, maybe....

• katamb-Midvale
    March 4, 2008 9:42 a.m.

If we're run that well, how come we're one of the highest taxed communities in the nation? That's not good government to me.

• To AbeFroman
    March 4, 2008 9:31 a.m.

You need to do your research. The Establishment Clause is what "separation" is all about. Basically the FF DID realize t his as they wanted to avoid a government (in Britain) at the time was congrolled by the Church of England. The Establishment Clause prohibits Congress from ESTABLISHING a national religion. Thus the "separation of Church and State."

While you are correct that there is no such wording in our documents, the concept was there.

• Anonymous
    March 4, 2008 9:28 a.m.

They obviously didn't talk to any of the rank and file state employees. . .

• Hail the Citizen
    March 4, 2008 9:18 a.m.

Here's a novel idea (sarcasm). Maybe it is the people of the State who do a good job at taking care of the State. Maybe it is that Utah ranks second lowest unemployment in the nation. Once again government leaders are there to represent the people. I am from Idaho but I say Kudo's to the people of Utah for living responsibly, working to better their State, and voting in responsible representatives. Is it any wonder the 2 more conservative States in the nation (Idaho and Utah) also have the lowest unemployment? If you work as a whole, the whole will be prosperous. Go Utah

• Northern Taxifornian
    March 4, 2008 9:22 a.m.

It could be worse, you could live in Taxifornia.

• Good news!
    March 4, 2008 8:50 a.m.

This is good news!
    I think the whole world should pack up their bags and move to Utah.
    There's plenty of room and good jobs for everybody!
    Hurry! Hurry! Hurry!

• Over-managed citizen
    March 4, 2008 8:42 a.m.

Being ranked the best governed state by Governing magazine should be like being ranked the number one crime family by the FBI.

Government does not give one anything without taking it from someone else.

• AbeFroman
    March 4, 2008 8:30 a.m.

It's funny all this discussion about the "seperation of church and state," it's funny because that phrase appears NOWHERE in the US Consitution or the Declaration of Independence. What?!?!? Yeah, do your research. The widely used phrase appears in a Majority Ruling written by the Supreme Court. It was not a concept that existed in the minds of the founding fathers.

• Once again
    March 4, 2008 8:23 a.m.

Of course stuff like this will bring out those against a church or any established religion and anything good that they stand for. Where was the church even mentioned in the article? Who are the sheep now? Baaaaaaaaaaa!

• Taxes=Good
    March 4, 2008 8:14 a.m.

Let us not forget that a well managed state comes from a government perspective. The simple translation is they take more money from taxpayers to pay for government programs than other states. We need to take a look at a possible correlation between a well managed state and high bankruptcies, high taxes, low wages, etc.

I would prefer to have a prosperous people who are self sufficient, than a world class capitol building or soccer stadium simply to gain the praise of the world elite.

• Recently moved to Michigan
    March 4, 2008 7:55 a.m.

I am not from Utah, but I was perfectly happy lving in Utah until my job took me to Michigan. Now, I long for the days of living in a state where every other house is not for sale, businesses are not closing up and moving elsewhere, and my neighbors are not losing their jobs. Meanwhile, the gov't is raising taxes. My property taxes are already 5x what they were in Utah as are my utility bills.

On the other hand, as an member of the LDS church, I do not miss the constant criticism of my religion. And how those not associated with the LDS Church seem to constantly whine about the influence it has in Utah. Noboday treats me any differently in Michigan. My religion is respected like any other.

Seperation of Church and state??? Since when is it illegal to not be member of the LDS Church in Utah? Are children forced to take a Book of Mormon class? Are stores forced to be closed on Sunday? Yes, the LDS Church has influence in Utah becasue the majority of the population agree with the doctrine. But the LDS Church is not a legal entitiy in Utah.

• Where are taxes 3.5%?
    March 4, 2008 7:54 a.m.

I live in Texas and pay 8.8% and food prices are probably double what I paid in Utah. No complaints about no state income tax but they get you somewhere else (Property Tax). Lastly, if I remember the scriptures correctly, I don't remember Christ ever referring to sheep (his followers) in a derogatory manner. Wolves in "sheeps" clothing is another matter.

March 4, 2008 7:30 a.m.

I am happy for that report.
    And I am happy with Governor Huntsmans good governing. (Thank You)
    I am happy living in Utah with the dominating religion.
    Being a sheep isn't so bad...it just depends on who the master is!

• Kevin
    March 4, 2008 7:28 a.m.

One of the best parts about the Utah government not mentioned by the article is that it is against the constitution of the state to have a state debt. Therefore the budget is always balanced. I wish our nation would adopt a similar measure.

• I likes this
    March 4, 2008 7:19 a.m.

now i can use it in my business class, now if some of those hick counties with the high child ratios would just do the tighten up too! Let's all do the TIGTHEN UP and completly cut off the raises of our most important resources THE TEACHERS...YOU KNOW MORE BANG FOR YOUR BUCK!!!

• Kevin
    March 4, 2008 7:15 a.m.

"And the sheep say 'baaaaa'," almost made me spray coffee on my computer!

Er, wait until the big quake hits, though, then Utah will rank 50th.

• From currently overseas
    March 4, 2008 7:17 a.m.

Perhaps it has something to do with a state income tax rate of over 7%. Other states I have had to pay taxes in. or lived next door to, have had income tax rates from 0 to 3.5%. It is a lot easier to manage when you have everything you need, and certainly gives you a lot less to argue about.

• And?
    March 4, 2008 7:03 a.m.

How well a state is run as little influence on quality of life. See this, I will remain in California were the government is dysfunctional and the climate is better. It's so nice not knowing the religion of your neighbors.

• get real
    March 4, 2008 7:08 a.m.

obviously SLC'er has no concept of the idea of separation of church and state beyond the ability to spew the phrase in an effort to mask personal intolerance

• Anonymous
    March 4, 2008 6:54 a.m.

I love to live in a state rated #1. Those who are not happy to live here and say we are sheep, just go to another state, because we will be better off without them. This is a free country, people should love where they like to.

• Noel Cayton
    March 4, 2008 6:41 a.m.

Why do so many people think that "separation of church and state" involved the independent states? The phraze does not exist in the U.S. Constitution.
    The first amendment simply states that the federal government (all branches) is not to interfere with religion while while it gives individual states (10th amendment) unlimited freedoms to govern. And, of course,laws differ from state to state as does the management of state governments.

• Sam Hampton
    March 4, 2008 6:45 a.m.

If there were a violation of the separation between church and state, which is unconstitutional, then I would suggest taking it up with the court system. If you are complaining that Utah is embued by Mormon culture, and that is a bad thing, then try living in states (which I currently do) imbued by a secular left ideology, or some other ideology. Not necessarily bad things, but Utah has it good compared to other places in the country that are struggling a great deal with budgets, unfunded mandates, and so-far unkept promises for retiree health care.

• I don't care whether the best
    March 4, 2008 6:31 a.m.

state is related to a certain church or not. As long as it is the best state. That is why all my three children are living in this best state.

• ScottAZ
    March 4, 2008 6:08 a.m.

Congratulations Utah! From a sheep not living in Utah. Baaaaaaa!

• russ
    March 4, 2008 5:30 a.m.

It is a report on how effective the government is run. It is not a report on how well the people are served. Do the Native Americans in Utah have adequate housing? What is the unemployment rate for the Indians? How many illegal immigrants are working in Utah and how come the number is that high?

Effective cost-spending accountability is one thing. Solving social problems that are so apparent is another.

Be careful what you make of the report.

• SLC'er
    March 4, 2008 2:36 a.m.

one more comment please, its too good. Please look at Separation of Church and State on wikipedia and then look for the LDS section underneath. Ohhhh the irony. Obviously I didn't post that (and i know that wikipedia is not to be taken as a serious source) for all you questioning that.

• SLC'er
    March 4, 2008 2:38 a.m.

folks, I was making a point about how the 1st Amendment and a little phrase known as "separation between church and state" don't seem to exist in Utah. Thank you for pointing out that most of the constituents are fine with that un-American viewpoint. That, my fellow Utahns, is why you are sheep. Baaaaaaaa!!

• Yeah that's it...
    March 4, 2008 2:10 a.m.

So the state is ranked at the top of an independent, un-biased study and that is your response? That the state government is taking care of the people of Utah (both sheep and non-sheep) and planning for the future is somehow bad? That money is being spent with accountability and acumen is a result of some link with the majority of the states population and that is unacceptable? I am a legal resident of Utah, speak a foreign language, have a degree in fine arts and live in Africa. Yeah, we are a bunch of sheep.

• TristanUofU
    March 4, 2008 1:17 a.m.

It's not because of Huntsman, that is for sure. It's the house majority leader Dave Clark that has really taken on all the tough challenges the last few years if any of you haven't noticed. I hope he runs for Congress!!!

• Yes, and the Church is run by...
    March 4, 2008 1:12 a.m.

God. So no wonder it's doing so well!

If the people were a little more perfect, the grade would be an A.

(Yes, this is a tongue-in-cheek response to the first comment.)

• Anonymous
    March 4, 2008 1:05 a.m.

You wonder why we are the best run gov't and then try to make it sound negative?

If the church is at the head of the gov't then we should be thanking them for putting us on top of the nation!

Count me as a sheep if I am following the best.

• If this is the good one...
    March 4, 2008 1:09 a.m.

I'd hate to live in one of the badly run states. Wow! They must be REALLY baaaaaaaa d!

• SLC'er
    March 4, 2008 12:17 a.m.

Hmmm . . . I wonder why? Could it be that our state government is really run by a certain church? And the sheep say "baaaaaaaa."