Sports

The mtn., DirecTV reach pact

Comments

• Cougs
    Aug. 8, 2008 8:21 a.m.

The MWC was continually increased its coverage since the intial launch of MTN--I don't see why this will stop. I switched from Dish, after telling them numerous times over the past year and a half, to DirecTV.

The setup for DirecTV was a snap; however, the billing by DirecTV is not a good way to run a business almost on the verge of being dishonest. I received a discounted choice pkg, and the discounted price would be reflected on my 2nd bill...no problem I thought. When I received the 2nd bill, there was no discount. I called and I was told it would be corrected. I checked after severall weeks and still no discount. I called DirecTV again, and the agent tells me that I was suppose to submit the discount....which no previous agents told me....a little caution re: DirecTV's business practices.

I like Comcast and Dish menus/interfaces better than DirecTV...when my contract is done w/ DirecTV, I switch back to Comcast, or Dish--if they carry the MTN.

• Hal
    April 5, 2008 12:17 p.m.

I use to be a UTE fan. I've really missed watching their games on TV over the past 3 years. So I actually started watching more SEC games than MWC. I have Dish rignt now so I will definitely switch to Direct TV this August/Sept. GOOD BYE DISH !!

• Finally
    Feb. 23, 2008 5:23 a.m.

For all those whining about having to pay extra and watching on the local channels SHUT UP! There are so many outside of happy valley that want these games. I had to pay well over a hundred dollars for ESPN gameplan when they were with ESPN. I can handle the upgrade to a bit more expensive setup. Besides the satellites are always cheaper than digital cable. In Colorado Springs you have to fork out $80 a month to get CSTV, MTN, and Versus. With Direct TV I'll bet I can get it all for $55 or less! Finally us fans outside of Utah can watch our teams! National exposure will increase. As far as respect we won't get that with any type of coverage until we get into the BCS regularly.

• Lobo1shane
    Feb. 23, 2008 3:33 a.m.

From what I hear CSTV (which is the parent company of the mtn) was purchased by CBS. So the mtn is probably going to disappear anyway. Having a network dedicated exclusively to our conference is a great idea but the mtn just couldn't pull it off. By the way has anyone ever seen "The Numbers Game"? I think that's what its called. My sixteen year old daughter could produce a better program!

• Ute in Philadelphia
    Feb. 22, 2008 5:00 p.m.

It'll be great to finally be able to see MWC football games again, but, it those games will be set to the premium sports packages, it won't be getting all the national exposure it's been craving. The only people who will pay extra to watch MWC games are MWC alumni. And there really aren't a lot of us back here on he East Coast.

• It's about Time
    Feb. 22, 2008 4:41 p.m.

This is the best day of my life. Looks like I'll be switching to Direct TV if DISH Network doesn't sign on too.

• Curious and hopeful
    Feb. 22, 2008 4:02 p.m.

Regarding the fact that the deal does not guarantee BYU / UofU games always being on since every other conference team also wants their games shown, help me understand this: if the Mtn. elects not to show a game, can another provider (KSL/KUTV,KJZZ,etc.) purchase the rights to show the game?

Given the conference contract negotiating skills this is doubtful, but it does seem that giving the Mtn. right of first refusal and then offering the games to others could create additional money making opportunities for the school/conference. And we all know that it is all about the money - right?

Can anyone clarify this for me?

• All you non fans!!!!
    Feb. 22, 2008 3:54 p.m.

To all you freaks who are dumping their "TEAM" because of a tv deal, don't worry, your team doesn't need you and I'll know enjoy watching BYU on tv.

And to John, the kat that says DirecTV is no good. Let me bring you outside of the bubble of UTAH!!! First, DirectTv owns Dishnetwork, two and most importantly... DISHNETWORK has no market here on the East Coast, It's all Direct TV.

• Blame American Idol
    Feb. 22, 2008 3:46 p.m.

All this Idol worship of reality TV has corrupted the networks and destroyed our right to watch sports. The only reason why I own a TV anymore is to watch sports but reality TV has gone through the roof forcing sports which has lost it's popularity to cable or elsewhere. We used to see all the games and now we don't know where to find them. I see one game a week now because I can only afford basic cable and even owning a dish from the mafia is not enough to get your favorite sports programing anymore.

• re: sick and tired
    Feb. 22, 2008 3:22 p.m.

I am glad that you will have something else to watch. I am sure that you are tired of Harline's still open, 4th and 18, 4 in a row, 46 straight, two straight undefeated conference years, etc., etc., etc.
    Enjoy paying for the new Directv sports package.

• fan
    Feb. 22, 2008 3:14 p.m.

I had just about given up!! One more season without seeing the games on my Direct TV and I was ready to leave the Mountain West Conference forever.

• No fan of the MTN
    Feb. 22, 2008 2:20 p.m.

I am no fan of the MTN, but most of you making statements on here were probably too young to remember the infant status of ESPN. They were as bad as the MTN is now and struggled for many years. Hope the MTN can do better quicker.

I will believe it when I see it.

This should have been done before the contract was even signed with Comcast to be the exclusive carrier.

As far as patching up differences with ESPN I really do not want to watch a game at 10-11 at night and watch only Thursday Night Football games. That was the deal with ESPN and the MWC was going to get even less viewing according to ESPN.

Those with Comcast should talk to your city about the legal liabilities of Comcast as to whether or not they should extend their coverage into your neighborhood. Comcast will seldom tell you the truth about how few homes need to want them before they have to go through the expense of hooking you up.

With this deal the MTN should buy some better quality cameras and train their cameramen to actually follow the ball when it is in play.

• Still too many questions
    Feb. 22, 2008 2:05 p.m.

Dish still needs to be a part of the deal. After that, what premium package are they going to include the mtn in????

• Direct Tv subscriber - CO Coug
    Feb. 22, 2008 1:56 p.m.

I love Direct TV, the guy asking about "who watches Direct TV?" is living in la-la land, try about 30 million people dude. Ever heard of the NFL Sunday Ticket (commercials featuring Payton Manning) HD channels on Direct TV are amazing (on the most watched networks, other HD channels are poor and shrunk). I'm just happy that I may actually have a chance to watch every football game this fall for the Cougs, even if the quality is poor, ever watch KBYU, KSL broadcasts of old games? The game makes the experience, not the announcers. This deal has hurt the MWC no doubt, but I can honestly say that I am excited that this may be real.

Don't hate, appreciate.

Go Cougs!

• Are you kidding
    Feb. 22, 2008 1:49 p.m.

Outside the bubble known as Provo and Utah for that matter most people have directv. I have had both and Directv is hands down superior. Props to the mtn. for signing the deal with the good satellite company.

• Snider
    Feb. 22, 2008 1:43 p.m.

DirectTV better not jack up my rates just so they can show this trash.

• Jp
    Feb. 22, 2008 1:42 p.m.

Wow there are a lot of whiners on here. This is great news. Remember people we were not exactly getting ESPN A Team, the talent is about equal to what we were getting from ESPN. The picture is not great and they need to improve that. DirecTV is better than Dish. Stop whining and enjoy the games!

• How Many?
    Feb. 22, 2008 1:13 p.m.

Anyone notice that both Direct TV and Dish Network have about the same amount of subscribers (around 30+ million each)?

Get the drift of what that means? Those subscribers don't generally have both satellites, so that means we need both for proper national distribution. 60 million's a lot more eyes for recruiting punch!

• BlueBoy
    Feb. 22, 2008 1:17 p.m.

Don't get too excited. There are two issues: 1) will it really happen in time for Fall's sports?, and 2) how much of the mtn will we actually ever see in hi-def?

I'm waiting to see who's going to be carrying BYU sports on satellite before I decide who to go with to get hi-def.

Also, hi-def isn't going to be what everyone's expecting. Because of bandwidth limitations, satellite companies will be experiencing the same lower def "hi-def" pictures that cable TV puts out on many channels. They only carry the REAL hi-def signals on the channels that are most watched. That certainly won't be the mtn most of the time. (Read up on your impending hi-def future if you don't know what I'm referring to.)

Hi-def or not, just getting to see BYU sports events live will be a blessing.

Now, if Dish can just get on the bandwagon in time, I might stick with it, because they have superior hi-def DVRs compared to Direct TV (currently).

And, with BlueRay stealing the show now, who knows what the possibilities will be?

• Wes
    Feb. 22, 2008 12:22 p.m.

Hopefully the deal means no more marius payton on the mountain!

• Mike
    Feb. 22, 2008 12:09 p.m.

talent??? and Anderson.:

Apparently you aren't watching the same games I have seen because there hasn't been any more cheering for BYU than for the other teams that air on the mtn. Usually the home team gets a bit more attention because they're the HOME team and that's where the announcers are (if you can truthfully call them announcers).

Pleez, would someone please give me a break.

• ren
    Feb. 22, 2008 12:00 p.m.

I live in Ohio and really miss seeing MWC games. This announcement is good--when it happens!! But my question, which I have submitted before is, especially concerning BYU, but works for their opponents as well (especially if they are in the MWC), since the LDS church owns BYU Television (on Dish and DirecTV), why can't they show all BYU games, especially the home games, but they could get feeds into the stations doing away games--so all games could be viewed. Why hasn't this happend?

• Sign me up for DirectTV
    Feb. 22, 2008 11:37 a.m.

I'm currently a Dish Network customer, but if DirectTV is going to carry the Mtn. then I will swith to DirecTV!

• Conspicuous consumption
    Feb. 22, 2008 11:34 a.m.

I have a 250" HD TV and also I have a 175" HD TV downstairs. This will be great to watch college football on. Hear me roar !

• Anonymous
    Feb. 22, 2008 11:17 a.m.

Wow a satellite tv deal is made and there are still a ton of people complaining. Honestly! You go ahead and wish for ESPN to show your games. Maybe good ol Lou Holtz can give your team a pep talk and you can play on a Tuesday night! And did someone say bring back KJZZ and KSL! Isnt the goal to get to as many viewers as possible. These players that come to teams in the MWC probably want to have their families see them play. No way will having a game locally on tv help that cause! So the quality of the mtn isnt the best but its not that bad. ESPN hasnt always been where it is today. I am way sick of hearing all the complaints.

• Sounds Good
    Feb. 22, 2008 11:13 a.m.

This sounds very positive but I will believe it when I see it. When I can get CSTV, VS, and the MTN on either Direct TV or cable I will be excited. As for ESPN please do not go back to that sorry situation. I like being able to see more conference games every week in both Football and Basketball on the MTN. It may be low budget but with ESPN they could care less about the MWC teams.

• Former Ute
    Feb. 22, 2008 11:07 a.m.

Sorry MWC, this is too little, too late. You have alienated former fans like me, and we have moved on to watching the major conferences and really good teams. The mediocre teams in the MWC just don't cut it any more, and I wouldn't even call the MWC a "mid-major" conference. From what I have seen on Versus, the production quality of The MTN is just too amateurish---I've seen better quality on BYU-TV, and I hate BYU. Lotsa luck, MWC, but I won't be watching your games on DirecTV. (Oh, and for Jon Webb, the people who watch DirecTV are the ones who used to have cable or Dish and found a better service.)

• Doug Boyle
    Feb. 22, 2008 10:57 a.m.

I wonder if this means that those of us who live out of the US will be able to access the games over the internet? I live in London, and know that there are lots of BYU fans who would love to have that connection to 'back home'. I listen to KSL over the internet, but would love to be able to see the action, even though the games are often at 2 or 3 in the morning. Fan is a derivative of 'fanatic', you know;)

• The Mountain
    Feb. 22, 2008 10:55 a.m.

Certainly has done a lot to blame the satellite companies for not taking the deal. Seems to me that the Mtn has tried to dictate too much and this was the hang up, not Direct or Dish (Ergen won't be pushed over). Also suspicious is the fact that the Mtn has strong ties to Comcast.

The leagues who control these deals up front need to have enough outs so that the entire market can benefit at a fair price and lineup.

I hope someone can air the technical details so that Directv, Dish or any other outlet is given a fair shake.

• DanD
    Feb. 22, 2008 10:59 a.m.

As for me if Dish network doesn't step up I will be moving to Direct. But Not until the deal is done and all the programming in place.

• To Jon
    Feb. 22, 2008 10:49 a.m.

What are you talking about? DirecTV is so much better than Dish, especially because of three little letters: NFL.

• byron
    Feb. 22, 2008 10:34 a.m.

I don't want the games on cable channels I don't have, I want the games on regular tv just as they were for 50 years. The MWC is a joke, their channel is the worst thing to ever happen happen to this states college sports, and it's time for BYU and Utah to stop the bleeding and get the hell out of that conference. Before that channel I hardly missed BYU and Utah football game, in the last 3 years I've probably only seen 6 games. I HATE THE MOUNTAIN WEST CONFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Hip Hop
    Feb. 22, 2008 10:27 a.m.

HORRAY

• Andersen
    Feb. 22, 2008 10:27 a.m.

If these deals are done then they need to fire most of the talent on the mtn. They are really pretty bad generally. There is also the issue of how some of the announcers cheer for the Y during and after the games. Good broadcasting talent are known for being impartial. This is not KBYU.

• talent???
    Feb. 22, 2008 10:22 a.m.

Another really problem is the quality of talent on the network. If they finish these deals with direct and dish they should fire all the talent, especially those individuals who cheer for the Y when they broadcast their games instead of being impartial announcers. It is embarrassing. Get some good talent that can really go a good job on the games.

• my two cents
    Feb. 22, 2008 10:16 a.m.

I had given up on seeing the Utes or Zoobs on TV and had actually enjoyed watching USU and WSU on Altitude and KJAZZ. It may take a while for me to redevelop interest in the MWC.

• WARNING TO DISH
    Feb. 22, 2008 9:58 a.m.

Provided this is true... either Dish Network also gets the MTN or I am switching to DirectTV by August! COMCAST is not an option because they refuse to run cable into a culdesac of 9 homes even though it runs two houses down...the pukes...

• Ash
    Feb. 22, 2008 9:58 a.m.

For all of you hoping that the mtn will be in HD, don't hold your breath. They can't even afford to buy normal resolution cameras, or cameramen to work them, or on-air talent to tell us something interesting while the game is going on. Their production quality is atrocious. If a High school student produced that low of quality for his broadcasting class, he would get an F. It is nearly unwatchable. How many plays did the mtn's cameramen miss last year??? They bought every play-action fake that was run, getting to the ball seconds after the tackle was already made.

If you think the poor resolution you were getting on a slingbox is because of the slingbox, you've got another thing coming. The quality is just that bad on the mtn's broadcasts. It's terrible.

Also, this deal better be available without the extra $15 per month for the premium sports package.

• Sierra Blue
    Feb. 22, 2008 9:50 a.m.

If the Direct TV deal actually is real, then I'm pleased. For those of us away from the Wasatch Front, our access to BYU sports has been radio or the occassional CSTV or Versus option. I'm happy with the possibility of just seeing games on TV! I will switch from DISH to Direct TV in a heartbeat once the deal is confirmed. As to all the comments about how bad the Mtn. really is, Give them a chance! With more revenue and more time, they will have an improved product. Too many posters on these articles are just negative. Life is too short to have such a gloomy attitude about things. Stop whinning. Give the process a chance. ESPN wasn't wonderful in their infancy. Rome wasn't built in a day. Didn't you ever hear that from your mother?

• Jon Webb
    Feb. 22, 2008 9:18 a.m.

Who on earth watches direct TV? Give me a break.

If they did a deal with Dish Network, then maybe someone would have a chance to watch a Mtn West game. But being on direct TV is almost as bad as having it on comcast, where virtually nobody sees the broadcasts.

It's time to wake up and finally do something right!

• Independent
    Feb. 22, 2008 9:10 a.m.

BYU and Utah should go independent if they can't get in a better conference. They can make it work for football and maybe basketball; the WAC will allow the other sports to compete in their conference.

• Aggie Fan
    Feb. 22, 2008 8:43 a.m.

As much as I disdain the Y and dislike the U, I am happy for their fans that this is working out. I personally would have loved to see the conference's ongoing sufferings for what I felt was the result of egotistical decision-making. I did feel badly for the fans who were the ones that were screwed by the whole deal, and I'm happy for their sakes.

• FINALLY!
    Feb. 22, 2008 8:34 a.m.

Finally. Finally. Finally.

- St. Louis

• The Mole Hill
    Feb. 22, 2008 8:34 a.m.

It is still a bad deal. We still won't be able to see all the games. With ESPN we could still watch the games they didn't cover on a local station like KSL or KJZZ. We are still subject to the MTN's programing.

• Bigger problem now
    Feb. 22, 2008 8:22 a.m.

This deal will not get the game to all the homes as advertise, all it's going to do is make it possible for DirecTV subscribers to have the choice to buy a REALLY expensive sports package. This is still terrible and the MWC needs to be reprimanded for this terrible terrible decision that The mtn. was in the first place. Widespread availability will NEVER happen in the current situation. As far as I'm concerned NO ONE should pay the extra $$ for this package. The integrity of our educational institutions is worth far more to me than being able to see a game or two.

What needs to happen is to cancel The mtn. and get back to a situation that provides local outlets the games, with an occasional game on a national stage. Bring KSL/KJZZ back into the local picture in Utah and show us the BYU and Utah games we should be seeing.

On the bright side, low TV availability has to be a boon to the Universities' ticket sales...In today's environment could a BYU/Utah bball game that is shown on TV still draw 20k+ fans???

DROP THE MTN!!!

• Anonymous
    Feb. 22, 2008 8:21 a.m.

It would be nice to watch MWC games again after a 2 year disappearing act. Hey Mr. Thompson, do you think we ought to change our name to the Atlantis Conference?

Nice work to Craig Thompson and all MWC school Presidents... you have done a good job setting the MWC back a few years. I wonder if anybody on the national scene even remembers who we are.

• coastguy
    Feb. 22, 2008 8:17 a.m.

Maybe it will happen and maybe it won't. There are enough people like AL, present company included that have been alienated by this entire boneheaded process to last for awhile. Throughout this whole ordeal, serious questions have been raised about the future efficacy of the MWC for BYU and Utah. One point that really stands out is the bowl game placement that is available for the MWC champions, i.e. fifth place PAC -10. We now have to switch our focus to vastly, and quickly improving that sorry situation. No applause due for the "heroes" at the MWC and Direct TV.

• Skeptic
    Feb. 22, 2008 7:53 a.m.

Intertiaman - you are killing me! The news is true because multiple sources are reporting it? Are you serious? By that rationale, there are WMD in Iraw! Nothing has been signed and this sort or "almost there" story has run before. I just don't believe in the ability of the MWC Commissioner to actually pull off a deal with the satellite companies. Comcast doesn't want the deal and the demand for the network is relatively low - the damage to the conference's appeal has already been done.

• Anonymous
    Feb. 22, 2008 7:49 a.m.

Sweet! Now hopefully Dish Network will follow!

• Directv viewer
    Feb. 22, 2008 7:53 a.m.

Man, if the mtn. goes HD, it will be sweet.

I have a 70" DLP HDTV and the DirecTV pictures on the HD channels are out of this world.

This is going to be fun.

Utah plays better on TV, and BYU just keeps playing strong.

• Sick and Tired
    Feb. 22, 2008 7:34 a.m.

I'm so sick and tired of being bombarded by whining Zoobies crying about how they can't watch their football. Maybe now I can enjoy next fall again without this visual harassment every time I sit down to watch the news or anything else on TV.

• Jeff
    Feb. 22, 2008 7:33 a.m.

I'm not sure this deal will help the Mountain West teams be visual on a national level. The availability is a problem for fans, but the real problem is the Mtn. It's an inferrior network and doesn't show the Mountain West teams in a good light. I personally would like to see the Mtn go away and hopefully we can patch up our differences with ESPN and see a portion of the games.

• Doubting Skeptic
    Feb. 22, 2008 7:30 a.m.

Blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

• Truth in advertising
    Feb. 22, 2008 7:28 a.m.

Another problem with the network called mtn is the dishonest advertisements they have aired. They said there programing would be 24/7. But they have openly lied. In the late night hours, they air junk programs, advertising programs for all kinds of junk -- for which they undoubtedly make enough cash to make it more attractive to their bottom line than to air re-broadcasts of the games of the day.
    If they are so dishonest as to break their 24/7 promise, what else are they dishonest about?
    Has the Mountain West Conference made a mistake to deal with a bunch of crooks? That's called a rhetorical question.

• AL
    Feb. 22, 2008 7:31 a.m.

SO WHAT! These teams have not existed for years now. I have lost interest in caring for future events.

• inertiaman
    Feb. 22, 2008 6:52 a.m.

Skeptic - it's time to do a reality check... every source is coming out and saying that this deal is done. It will be on TV in the fall.

• Cougar stuck in Indiana
    Feb. 22, 2008 6:41 a.m.

HALLELUJA!!! No more low-res games on the Slingbox!

• Skeptic
    Feb. 22, 2008 6:06 a.m.

I'm sorry, but I'll believe it when I see it - on TV.